Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,229 | Reviews: 2,611
4.69/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very smooth beer and my favorite go to beer from Boston Beer Company.Very great session beer that isn't too overbearing with the alcohol by volume yet not a weak beer with no flavor.Just a very easy to drink and enjoyable beer.

2.86/5  rDev -23.5%

This is a solid beer from Samuel Adams.

3.05/5  rDev -18.4%

So overrated it's not even funny.

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Copper colored with a thick white head

Smells like toasted malts and caramel

Taste follows the nose

Light and refreshing with a decent amount of carbonation

Took me a while to come around on Boston Lager. I am from MA so and it is available everywhere so I had a snobby attitude towards it. Now as I age and drink more beer, I realize that it really is one of the more refreshing lagers out there and the fact that it easy to find is a bonus. In short, wicked good beer.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

A winner. Definitely a go to beer for any occasion. Tastes good, high quality, My default beer unless I am feeling adventurous. I highly recommend this beer. You can't go wrong with this beer. My hat is off to the Boston Brewing Company for creating a winner like this.

3.87/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I consider this one to be a classic.

3.12/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a nice golden amber color, thick pearly head, nice lacing. Aroma is faint caramel malt and hay, with some yeasty notes. Flavor is faintly bitter, with a sweet crisp finish.

2.88/5  rDev -23%

Not great but not terrible. Very middle of the road.

3.57/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I live in Boston & have easy access to all the Sam Adams brews. Boston Lager isn't even in my top 10 Sam brews. It's decent, but I don't consider it great. They make so many really good beers though.

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

This is the first good beer I ever had, and it introduced me to the amazing world of craft beer. Time for a review of this classic.

Look: Almost looks like an IPA; nice and rich amber/copper color with a nice slightly off white head. Good lacing and carbonation.

Smell: A unique roasted barley smell, with a touch of grassy hops. It is a welcoming and rather unique aroma as well.

Taste: The taste follows the nose but with an emphasis on the roasted barley, with a supportive amount of grassy hops.

Feel: Crisp and refreshing! The mouthfeel of this beer humiliates other poorly made lagers that claim to be refreshing and light with its spritzy and lively carbonation. Best served very cold.

Overall: This beer is well suited for experienced craft beer fans and new-comers alike. I first had it when I was 18, and I still love it at 22 even with a tongue charred by intense hoppy beers like Rebel Rouser which is also by Sam Adams.

2.9/5  rDev -22.5%

Wasn't impressed. The more I drank it, the more I hated it.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Good beer. Nice smooth taste

3.62/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Samuel Adams best of their readily available stock. Its the godfather of all craft beer. So even if one does not like this beer, we should all salute it and Jim Koch. And its a good lager. Solid beer, looks good too.

3.45/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Nice smell. Pale red-brown colour. A hint of flowers in the bitter taste. Nice light beer.

3.74/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a sixer at my local gas station. The best by notch states it's good for another two months. Poured right from the fridge into a pint glass.

L: Pour's a beautiful, bright golden amber with about two inches of off-white head that drops but stays around at a quarter-inch and leaves nice cling. Plenty of visible carbonation in the crystal-clear brew.

S: Bready caramel malt and some nice herbal/grassy notes. Just a touch earthy/musty. Pleasant but unassertive bouquet.

T: Caramel and toasted malt bready flavors at the front, along with a bit of grassy hop presence. The middle sees these flavors continue, with just a bit of building spice/peppery notes and a touch of sweetness. The back end feels a bit tart, with the hops bringing more of their flavor over that malt backbone. This one is very nicely balanced all the way.

F: On the lighter side of medium-bodied. Very nicely carbonated. It's bright and quite clean-finishing.

O: I'm a bit mercurial when it comes to this beer: Sometimes I have one, and it takes like the best lager I've ever had. Sometimes it's just pretty good. I think part of this has to do with whether I have this beer alongside great brews or I have it in isolation (or with some crummy beers). I've just had a couple great ones, so tonight it's feeling a little less than stellar. Make no mistake, this is definitely a quality beer that brings some nice complexity while maintaining its balance.

4.54/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The gold standard to me. Consistent. i like it around 45-50 degrees.

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%

A little better on draft, as the hops tend to fade a bit the longer the bottles/cans sit on shelves, but overall Boston Lager is an excellent beer. It will often be the best choice at a restaurant or bar. Nice maltiness and ample hoppiness makes for an enjoyable drinking experience. Very low ABV makes it quite sessionable.

Note: I've always preferred drinking it from the bottle.

3.56/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A comprehensive and balanced, with a very own taste beer. Ideal to take alone or a light snack. Good beer for everyday use.

3.54/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well balanced and sessionable. One of the better lagers I've tried.

4.85/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Great Beer! It's my go-to and a personal favorite! For The Love of Beer.

3.49/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Not bad but not a favorite.

To me this a hybrid beer. A little wheaty lager mixed with a hint of IPA. a little too much IPA for my taste. Decent beer

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very underrated beer. Light but tasty

4.09/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A solid and above average lager. When in doubt on what to order, you can't go wrong with this one.

3.56/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From bottle to pint glass. L: 3/4 in off white head quickly fades a light film. Mild lacing. Wonderful amber color. S: Grainy malt and not much else. T: Light malt with a light simple hop flavor that makes for a great balanced but light flavored beer. O: Great transition beer for a newcomer. I would also pick this if i wanted a simple lighter flavored brew. Decent taste with nothing offensive

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: More or less orange. Smell: Like a real good beer. Malty. Two finger foam, went down fairly quick. Taste: Just slightly bitter but doesn't last long, slight citrus taste. Feel: Good carbonation, I drank from a pilsner glass and it was still pumping bubbles down to the last swallow. Overall: This is not a bad beer, it's just not my style of beer. They say look is important with beer and I believe that, all my favorite beers are straw to golden.

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)