Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,510 | Hads: 8,276
3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

It pours a light amber color almost orange with a medium white head that last for a long time and leaves intense lacing. It has a great hopy scent. On the tounge I detected hints of caramel and some citruss, as well as some sweet maltiness. It has a full bodied taste that engulfs your mouth. Very good lager; better than most. (327 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

A great lager. Dark gold to amber color with medium cream head. One of the only american lagers I have smelled obvious hops on. Flavors of butterscotch, caramel malts with decent hop bite for a lager. Mouthfeel is good...not too heavy but not empty- what a lager should be. In this case, an american beer marketing slogan does not lie - this really is always a good decision. (375 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -2.6%

The appearance of this beer was just wonderful! Rich, medium amber color topped by a large, bubbly off-white head with lots of staying power and a good amount of thick lace left on the glass. Smell was mild... malt with a bit of hop spiciness. Pleasant mouthfeel, maybe a bit too carbonated. Taste was very good... light malt followed by citrusy hops with a very pleasant bitterness. I liked this beer a lot.

I enjoyed two of these in a restaurant with a seafood dinner. It complemented the food nicely. An excellent choice when everything else on the menu is a fizzy, yellow macro brew! (590 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +21.1%

I often forget how much I love this beer.

Light orangy-copper with a big creamy head that has good retention and lacing. Smell is big beautiful leafy hops - a bit spicy and a bit earthy. Diacetyl rounds out the aroma along with a slight sweet graininess too. Taste seems so simple, but so great. All of the flavors meld perfectly and the fresh hoppiness slowly fades for a wonderful finish that requires you to take another drink. Feel may be a little thin, and the carbonation could be smoother, but otherwise as close to perfect as a beer can be. An all-time great, this beer is truly world-class. (603 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured a deep golden amber. Decent head, about a half inch, that sticks around.

The smell is a pleasant blend of malt and tettnanger hops. A hint of fruit.

Very nice flavor. A nice hop taste and decent malt flavor, not off-flavors or after taste.

The mouthfeel is average. Thin but not watery with decent carbonation.

Very enjoyable and drinkable. No amazing flavors but a nice blend of what's there. (414 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

Wouldn't it be great if there was a solid, good-tasting American lager that you could find almost anywhere and recommend to anyone? Well, guess what? There is, and it's called Samuel Adams Boston Lager.

I have to admit, the numerous TV spots gave me a negative impression right off the bat. I figured that it was just another overpriced and overhyped "trendy" beer like Corona or Heikeken. Boy, was I wrong. This shatters all my ideas of what a "premium" American beer can be. I thought Sierra Nevada was the only exception to the rule, but Samuel Adams proves to be a very satisfying beer that's easy to find on the shelf or on tap.

This beer almost says audibly, "drink me." It's a golden amber, with perhaps a slight hint of red. An almost white head that slowly disperses to a film immediately separates this from the American macros that surround it at the local pub. The taste is excellent. What more can I say? From start to finish, there is a good balance of malt and hop flavors. The bitter hops become a bit more dominant in the aftertaste, but just barely. This is a very drinkable brew, and definitely a good candidate for a session beer. I'm far from a true connoiseur, but I think that anyone can appreciate this beer, especially considering that it is an American macro (at least, it seems to be a macro, based on availability). Grab a six-pack or ask for a pint; you won't regret it.

Thanks to this pleasant first experience, I'll be trying the Boston Beer Company's other offerings very soon... (1,520 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +9.1%

Light amber with a slight chill haze. Very nice chalk-white head that lasts.

Beautiful floral hop bouquet, light two-row malt aroma as well. Very inviting.

The flavor is smooth malt with a slight hop bite. Very clean tasting beer that does not have a long lasting aftertaste. The noble hops are notable in the finish. High level of carbonation. Very well balanced beer. (371 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

A viable alternative to macro lagers, as it is sold everywhere. Spicy hop aroma is distinct but not overpowering. Pale golden body is a bit thin, but mouthfeel improves substantially as the beer warms from the sub arctic temperature range. Aroma is faintly hoppy. This was my first entry many years ago into the wider world of beers beyond macro swill. It remains a solid lager, but has lost much of its exotic appeal. Something like this is what the major american beer companies should have been producing all along, but they sold out their conscience to the bottom line. (573 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a very good beer. Its appearance is an amber almost copperish color. The smell is not overpowering but you can detect a hint of caramel which is very detectable in the taste as well as a malty flavor. It has a bitter finish. I always seem to like this beer more with food. Its one of the best beers that is easily available to general US drinking population. (366 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -1%

Leaping lagers, this is a good beer! I'm not usually big into lagers, but this brew is very fine indeed.

It has a great, sharp scent which is accompanied by a slighlty hoppy bite in taste. There's also a noticeable amount of malty flavor. This is just a very reasonably priced, easy to find, good beer. What more needs to be said? (334 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

chesnut brown with a creamy white head, which does a good job of sticking to the glass. european noble hop aroma. full bodied for a lager, very smooth with a nice level of carbonation. toasted full grain flavor supremely balanced with a tobacco leaf, earthy hop bite. very well constructed. nice lingering earthy hop aftertaste, i have no problem putting down three or four of these in a row. without a doubt the most full bodied and flavorful mass produced american lager on the market, and is often an oasis in a desert of macro piss at establishments that do not take their beer seriously. how could you not like this stuff? (627 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

I sampled this beer fresh on tap at the Jamaica Plain Brewery. While its amber appearance and pleasant white lace are usually attractive, I'm never really impressed by the beer. This tasting was no different. The hops bouquet provides an interesting compliment to the flavors imparted by the lager yeast, but I continue to find the malt contributions to be rather bland. I tend to prefer the Mexican interpretations of the Amber Lager. The beer is quite drinkable, but rather unremarkable. (489 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: A nice-looking copper-golden color with a slight red glow, translucent with minimal carbonation and a slight head. Aroma: a pleasing, but simple armoa- nothing striking stands out. The taste is a nice, smooth floavor of malt, with a lesser (but nicely balanced) hops flavor towards the end. Alcohol is barely noticeable. A very drinkable beer. (355 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -9.9%

This is a good-looking beer. It pours an amber color with a light tan head that laces nicely. There is a caramel maltiness present in the nose, as well as slight citrus/floral notes from the hops. The taste is a bit biscuity with a slight malt sweetness which is balanced well with the bitterness from the hops. Higher hopped than most lagers, but not as tasty as their Boston Ale. This lager has more body than most with just the right amount of carbonation to make it refreshing to drink in the summertime. (508 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: A nice rich amber that boasts well for what I'm about to drink nice soft lacy head

Aroma: strong smell of cooked vegies and a nice ting of sweetness

Smooth veggie taste and almost no bight I like it

Mouthfeel: thick yet not overly rich a well reounded brew

Overall: A great drinking expirieance one with smooth characters and a full body a stout strong beer with a backbone (397 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%

This is always my fall back beer in a restaurant. Plus, the complex taste always surprises you if you haven't drank one of these in a while.
Light orange/tan body that is crystal clear. Great off white foamy head that lasts and sticks to the glass very well.
Aroma is of light hops with some spice and light caramel malt. Taste is very complex and full bodied with a good hop bitterness throughout. Light malt flavors and slight citrus notes. A metallic character as well. Mouthfeel is good with a nice thickness for a lager but at the same time also very crisp and refreshing. (580 characters)

Ok, well I can say that out of the “micro” brew craze that firts hit a number of years ago this was the brew that I associated with it. When at college it was always a pleasure to be able to sit back and enjoy a Sam Adams, it was liquid gold compared to the Naty and Beast Ice we normally could afford!

With this being said I have somewhat forgotten about this classic with all of the other choices out on the market. With this being said, I know that if I get the Boston Lager I am not going to be disappointed.

The brew pours to a beautiful color of deep amber usually with a nice off white head. The smell is nice, a little light maybe but does have a malty smell to it. The taste is very nice, not overwhelming in any area but you can defiantly notice malt and then a slight hop bite that goes nice together, a perfect balance. Has perfect amount of carbonation and is just a very nice beer overall. This is a beer that can be had anytime of the year and will always be a old standby! (996 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pretty much a legend/classic in the craft brew world I suppose. Pours a light copper with a sticky white head. Smells of fruity malts with spicy, lemony hops. Taste is nice lightly toasted malt with a touch of sweetness. Lemony hops lead into a moderately bitter finish. More body than almost all other pale lagers (more hops too), but still smooth and very drinkable. (368 characters)

From the new brewer's 12pack. I replaced the Sam Lights with Scotch Ales, and one of the Boston Lagers with Stock Ale, but I guess I missed this one. Oh well, I hadn't reviewed it yet anyway.

Pours out amber with a vrey short quikly gone head. A so-so beer in my opinion. Meh. Drinkable, which is a plus in macro land, but nothing I'd ever buy for myself. (358 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

A copper color that is not very indicative of a lager. Small white head. Not too much of a nose, faint hops, if anything. Full malty flavor, with a smooth finish. Another solid beer from Sam Adam's. A good lager, but not interesting enough to consider buying again. (265 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

Medium-sized, cream-colored foamy head leaves thickish swoops of lacing above an orange/amber beer. Tangy, nutty nose. Malty, fresh front with some mild chocolate. Full, but light-tasting middle. Some chocolate malt. Toasty, roasty grains in the nicely bitter finish. This is just a tasty, fresh, light, amber lager. (316 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

It pours a clear, crisp amber, with a quick-forming off-white head, that retains its creamy texture nicely. It laces prettily down the glass.

The aroma delivers a nice waft of mellowly sweet malt, evened by a just as mellow swirl of citrus from the hops. A caramel note lingers along the beer's aura, intertwining with the fruitiness of the hops.

The flavor is all about a refreshingly adroit balance. The slightly chewy malt sweetness carries with it the anticipated caramel character. The hops blend balances the malt with a subdued but quite present citrus wash. There's a very slight yeast sourness near the end, with the bittering hops starring at the finish.

It's on the light side of medium bodied, but in combo with the flavor, the lesser consistency is a fair plus. It coats and fades quickly, but it does not let itself be forgotten.

Too many seem to poo-poo this beer. With a nicely balanced, refreshing flavor, the overall effect determines the beer's exceptional drinkabilty. While perhaps not a standout in any one category, Sam is a fine standby, and a long-lived companion. There may be times when I'll daringly pick something else from an establishment's beer menu, but when I want to fall back to something I know I'll enjoy, I know I can never go wrong if I choose this beer. (1,310 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Amber with a reddish tint. A good size head that left a good amount of lacing.

Taste: I was shocked at first sip. I don't remember Sam Adams being this good; I always thought it was just slightly above mediocre. This is very good. It's smooth and modestly malty with an agreeable hop bite. Much more flavorful than I was expecting. The aftertaste brings back memories of something but I can't remember what.

Mouthfeel: This is the part that surprised me the most. It's so damn creamy. I love it!

Drinkability: All night.

I don't know why, but this is the best bottle of Sam Adams Boston Lager that I've ever had. It's even better than the ones I've had on tap. I'll definitely have to get some more in the near future. (742 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

I had this on tap at a hotel in Boston. I was not expecting this to be this good. Maybe it was incredibly fresh. Either way, this was really good.

It looked really good. Beautiful color with a nice frothy head which lasted with a nice lace for a while. It taste was incredibly smooth. However, I'm torn about what to give it. This beer tasted really fresh and smooth. But it wasn't very complex. I'm not sure it warrants a 4.5, but at the same time, I cannot justify giving the beer a 4.

I don't expect this beer to be this good when I order it in the future, but I will always remember this time I had it with fondness. (626 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

ok, I've been drinking Sam Adams for years, now, but now that I have a bit more knowledge than before, here goes.

Appearance: pours an amber color, very clear, with a great head. Leaves a nice amount of lacing on my glass.

Smell: Grapefruit. Is that caramel? The biggest thing I smell is the citrusy smells.

Taste: Nice balance of bitterness and sweetness.

Drinkability: There's been a few Sam Adams in my fridge for a long time. This is a really good beer that I don't have to make a special trip to get. Solid offering. (533 characters)

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)