Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,553 | Hads: 8,493
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: A nice-looking copper-golden color with a slight red glow, translucent with minimal carbonation and a slight head. Aroma: a pleasing, but simple armoa- nothing striking stands out. The taste is a nice, smooth floavor of malt, with a lesser (but nicely balanced) hops flavor towards the end. Alcohol is barely noticeable. A very drinkable beer.

3.46/5  rDev -8.9%

This is a good-looking beer. It pours an amber color with a light tan head that laces nicely. There is a caramel maltiness present in the nose, as well as slight citrus/floral notes from the hops. The taste is a bit biscuity with a slight malt sweetness which is balanced well with the bitterness from the hops. Higher hopped than most lagers, but not as tasty as their Boston Ale. This lager has more body than most with just the right amount of carbonation to make it refreshing to drink in the summertime.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: A nice rich amber that boasts well for what I'm about to drink nice soft lacy head

Aroma: strong smell of cooked vegies and a nice ting of sweetness

Smooth veggie taste and almost no bight I like it

Mouthfeel: thick yet not overly rich a well reounded brew

Overall: A great drinking expirieance one with smooth characters and a full body a stout strong beer with a backbone

4.18/5  rDev +10%

This is always my fall back beer in a restaurant. Plus, the complex taste always surprises you if you haven't drank one of these in a while.
Light orange/tan body that is crystal clear. Great off white foamy head that lasts and sticks to the glass very well.
Aroma is of light hops with some spice and light caramel malt. Taste is very complex and full bodied with a good hop bitterness throughout. Light malt flavors and slight citrus notes. A metallic character as well. Mouthfeel is good with a nice thickness for a lager but at the same time also very crisp and refreshing.

Ok, well I can say that out of the “micro” brew craze that firts hit a number of years ago this was the brew that I associated with it. When at college it was always a pleasure to be able to sit back and enjoy a Sam Adams, it was liquid gold compared to the Naty and Beast Ice we normally could afford!

With this being said I have somewhat forgotten about this classic with all of the other choices out on the market. With this being said, I know that if I get the Boston Lager I am not going to be disappointed.

The brew pours to a beautiful color of deep amber usually with a nice off white head. The smell is nice, a little light maybe but does have a malty smell to it. The taste is very nice, not overwhelming in any area but you can defiantly notice malt and then a slight hop bite that goes nice together, a perfect balance. Has perfect amount of carbonation and is just a very nice beer overall. This is a beer that can be had anytime of the year and will always be a old standby!

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pretty much a legend/classic in the craft brew world I suppose. Pours a light copper with a sticky white head. Smells of fruity malts with spicy, lemony hops. Taste is nice lightly toasted malt with a touch of sweetness. Lemony hops lead into a moderately bitter finish. More body than almost all other pale lagers (more hops too), but still smooth and very drinkable.

From the new brewer's 12pack. I replaced the Sam Lights with Scotch Ales, and one of the Boston Lagers with Stock Ale, but I guess I missed this one. Oh well, I hadn't reviewed it yet anyway.

Pours out amber with a vrey short quikly gone head. A so-so beer in my opinion. Meh. Drinkable, which is a plus in macro land, but nothing I'd ever buy for myself.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

A copper color that is not very indicative of a lager. Small white head. Not too much of a nose, faint hops, if anything. Full malty flavor, with a smooth finish. Another solid beer from Sam Adam's. A good lager, but not interesting enough to consider buying again.

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Medium-sized, cream-colored foamy head leaves thickish swoops of lacing above an orange/amber beer. Tangy, nutty nose. Malty, fresh front with some mild chocolate. Full, but light-tasting middle. Some chocolate malt. Toasty, roasty grains in the nicely bitter finish. This is just a tasty, fresh, light, amber lager.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

It pours a clear, crisp amber, with a quick-forming off-white head, that retains its creamy texture nicely. It laces prettily down the glass.

The aroma delivers a nice waft of mellowly sweet malt, evened by a just as mellow swirl of citrus from the hops. A caramel note lingers along the beer's aura, intertwining with the fruitiness of the hops.

The flavor is all about a refreshingly adroit balance. The slightly chewy malt sweetness carries with it the anticipated caramel character. The hops blend balances the malt with a subdued but quite present citrus wash. There's a very slight yeast sourness near the end, with the bittering hops starring at the finish.

It's on the light side of medium bodied, but in combo with the flavor, the lesser consistency is a fair plus. It coats and fades quickly, but it does not let itself be forgotten.

Too many seem to poo-poo this beer. With a nicely balanced, refreshing flavor, the overall effect determines the beer's exceptional drinkabilty. While perhaps not a standout in any one category, Sam is a fine standby, and a long-lived companion. There may be times when I'll daringly pick something else from an establishment's beer menu, but when I want to fall back to something I know I'll enjoy, I know I can never go wrong if I choose this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance: Amber with a reddish tint. A good size head that left a good amount of lacing.

Taste: I was shocked at first sip. I don't remember Sam Adams being this good; I always thought it was just slightly above mediocre. This is very good. It's smooth and modestly malty with an agreeable hop bite. Much more flavorful than I was expecting. The aftertaste brings back memories of something but I can't remember what.

Mouthfeel: This is the part that surprised me the most. It's so damn creamy. I love it!

Drinkability: All night.

I don't know why, but this is the best bottle of Sam Adams Boston Lager that I've ever had. It's even better than the ones I've had on tap. I'll definitely have to get some more in the near future.

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

I had this on tap at a hotel in Boston. I was not expecting this to be this good. Maybe it was incredibly fresh. Either way, this was really good.

It looked really good. Beautiful color with a nice frothy head which lasted with a nice lace for a while. It taste was incredibly smooth. However, I'm torn about what to give it. This beer tasted really fresh and smooth. But it wasn't very complex. I'm not sure it warrants a 4.5, but at the same time, I cannot justify giving the beer a 4.

I don't expect this beer to be this good when I order it in the future, but I will always remember this time I had it with fondness.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

ok, I've been drinking Sam Adams for years, now, but now that I have a bit more knowledge than before, here goes.

Appearance: pours an amber color, very clear, with a great head. Leaves a nice amount of lacing on my glass.

Smell: Grapefruit. Is that caramel? The biggest thing I smell is the citrusy smells.

Taste: Nice balance of bitterness and sweetness.

Drinkability: There's been a few Sam Adams in my fridge for a long time. This is a really good beer that I don't have to make a special trip to get. Solid offering.

3.21/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours out clear orange-golden with a massive white head. Slight citrus hop aroma, along with a faint maltiness. Taste is a good mix of sweet malts and bitter hops, which seem to hit the taste buds all at once. There is a slight powdered sugar overtone here, sort of an artificial sweetness, yet it is not bad in any way. Mouthfeel is very slick and finishes slightly syrupy. For whatever reasons I find this not too drinkable - nothing i'd want to pound all night. A decent and fairly unique lager.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

The Sammy Adams Boston Lager is one of those beers that I kind of take for granted, and as such, I don't drink it as often as I should (or would like to). Unless it's on sale (as it is now at my local grocery store, @ $4.49/sixer), I don't normally pick it up. But when I do grab a sixer, it's always like hooking up with that old college friend whose company you truly enjoy, but you never seem to have enough time for. I love drinking it, and I make plans to drink it again soon, but other things just keep grabbing my attention, and it takes something like a sale or a wild hair to bring me back. Shame, though. It is a really splendid American lager.

Sammy pours quite nicely, leaving a thick head that takes a few minutes to dwindle. It's got good carbonation, as the rising bubbles will attest to. Smells faintly malty and bready.

Tastes very smooth and hearty. The malts tangle with the hops in a nice balance, and that's really the key to this beer's sustained success. Slight caramel tastes are in there, as are some vague citrus hints from the hops. Sammy has good mouthfeel and finishes as smooth as it starts.

Overall, this an excellent example of how an American-style lager should be done. This beer has an excellent reputation, and it's well deserved. It's a cornerstone beer, and it's one to introduce to your friends who are stuck in big-brand limbo. Sammy was one of the gateway beers for me, and I'll wager that it's introduced more than one beer drinker to a wider world of beer enjoyment.

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%

This is one of my day to day standard beers so I might be a bit biased. ;)

Dark Gold/ Light Brown looks great in the glass.

Very complex smell, smells more like a good pale ale than a lager.
Carmel, Malts and hops! Also has some vanilla and oak in there.

Taste, hoppy for a lager! Kind of jumps up and says HEY! I could almost be a pale ale! Has that Vanilla/Oak taste that you expect from a pale ale. It is a little sweet but not too much. Has a slightly bitter hops quality.

Mouthfeel is thick for a lager again a lot like a pale ale.

You can drink this stuff all night; it gets and stays smooth.

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

The beer pours a dark golden color with a 1/4" creamy white head. The aroma is clean with the scent of light malts. The taste is good. It's smooth and refreshing. It has a light caramel feel to it. The mouthfeel is fine. This is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a great drinking beer. A good sessions ale.

4.24/5  rDev +11.6%

Delivered to me in a pint glass with some head. Was a nice reddish brown color. Smelled hoppy with a bread malt coming through. Some florals in the nose as well. Bitter hoppiness upfront, with a bready malt to balance. Grassy floral notes throughout. Medium body. Highly drinkable. This has been my session beer for quite sometime now. I love this beer.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Definitely preferable on tap, my old standby never fails to disappoint. Amber pour leads to nutty malt aroma with a crisp hop presence. Taste is consistent with the smell, with a good hop/malt balance. Extremely drinkable and refreshing. goes well with a multitude of dishes - I love having one at Outback in a big frosty (that's right ya sissys, frosty) mug with a steak and cheese fries.

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

This beer seems certainly seems more tame to me than it did when I first tried it. I remember it being the first beer with any significant hop profile that I had tried. Now, it seems so mild (but certainly better and more flavorful than the "big three"). A well balanced lager (that seems more like an ale to me). Almost amber in color, crisp, with a dry finish. Nice with food, and occasionally it is a "good decision!"

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: Nice amber colour With a nice frothy head.

Smell: Rich malty scent.

Taste: Once again like the smell, however with a bitter lasting after taste. Almost flowery taste upfront.

Mouthfeel: Not unlike too many other lagers.

Drinkability: Good stuff.

3.14/5  rDev -17.4%

sam adam's on tap at ruby tuesday's- that was the best they could offer.

Sam Adams poured a nice golden brown with a biscuit like head. very nice.

The smell was very malty.
The taste was slighty skunked, malty and crisp.
I'm sure no one buys sam adams on tap at the ruby tuesday that would account for the touch of skunkiness.
Just an average lager otherwise.

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden with a touch of red, medium high white head that laces well
Aroma balanced between malt sweetness and hops with a floral touch.
Flavor is mostly malt, with a touch of hops in the back, a touch of grapefruit.
A medium feel to it, nicely balanced and easy drinking.

This was the first good beer I ever had. It's still great as a session beer, and should be the best choice at any number of restaurants and bars. I don't get it as much as I used to - but these came in the winter pack. It's been passed by some of the beers BBC came up with later, and towers above some of the others.

3.47/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have to render unto this beer its props for being, usually, the best choice you have available in most restaurant bars (although a fine Chicago pizza scarfin' establishment like Giordano's should know better than to use iced-over glasses). Has a nice dark gold color, darker than any megabrew, under the usual lager head. The malt is very evident, almost but not quite a caramel aspect, again better than megabrewed "barley pop." Hop flavor is nicely balanced, bitterness doesn't really assert itself until after you swallow. Many beer fans have kind of a love-hate relationship with Jim Koch, but this is still the beer that makes his rep.

Appearance: cherry wood, off white heads that hung around awhile, pretty
Aroma: bread, I frickin love it, like having a beer in a frickin bakery
Flavor: balance with a frickin capital "B", big malt up front with a hoppy little bite in the ass as you leave.
Mouthfeel: substantial, meaty but not overbearing.
Overall: it's no mystery why this beer is so frickin' popular, they hit on all bases. big enough taste for "serious" beer drinkers but won't scare away macro drinkers.

Addendum 3/19/04:
It's nice to retry a beer months after first reviewing it to see if your opinion has changed...it hasn't.
This beer is magnificent, the full flavors that don't overpower, the incredible balance. Highly underrated, probably due to it's availability and therefore loss of "hipness". This is one of the best beers in the world

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)