Follow our progress ...

Samuel Adams Boston Lager | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
3.8

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Vienna Lager

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Reviews: 2,618 | Ratings: 8,825
3.11/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

L - Orange/Amber colour. Slightly darker than your average beer.
S - Sweet taste followed by yeast.
T - Malty.
F - Hard carbonation upfront, not that pleasant to drink.
O - I don't find this beer anything much more than average. Maybe someday I will understand why its so popular or maybe its just not my style of beer.

3.71/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark orange/amber color into a typical pint glass. Very light tan creamy head and plenty of lacing. Smell is pleasant with notes of citrus and caramel. Initial taste is quite pleasant with a crisp clean feel and slightly bitter finish. Overall, I feel that this is an honest, good brew and look forward to many more.

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

i used to love this beer, but i guess since then a lot of new beers have come out that are so much better. now i can't stand to drink it. like it makes me angry to drink a beer from a company like this.

4.19/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

bb mar 2016
poured into Boston Lager Glass
L- light amber in color with inch thick white head which becomes rocky before dissipating leaving ring of lacing
S- sweet caramel malt, yeasty
T- hits the tongue with sweet caramel, some toffee notes as well, as it lingers there is floral hoppiness and goes down in a yeasty doughiness, leaving a well balanced aftertaste
F- medium bodied, nicely carbonated
O- is an extremely well balanced beer, very drinkable and great tasting, can't ask for anything more in a lager

4.41/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Beers don't go "out of style" or "get old" or go "out of fashion". Are we talking about beer or fall fashions? A great beer, is a great beer, is a great beer. And Samuel Adams Boston Lager is just that -- a great beer, a true classic. The craft crowd who diss this one seem to lack appreciation for balance and subtlety. That hop bomb with the silly name you adore? It's most likely an out-of-balance disaster, a gimmick brew. Here today, gone tomorrow. Neither beer nor any food should punch you in the face. Flavors should blend well together. All beers should be as delicious and drinkable as a good ole Sam Adams Lager. This is a beer that makes America proud on the international stage, right up there with best the world has to offer. It's sublime. Been around a while? Sam Adams has gotten too big? It's not brewed in somebody's closet? What does that matter, and who cares?

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For a lager, just ok. Sam Adams staple beer just ok for an every day beer but getting a little stale. Wish they can improve this one as it is a staple at airports.

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is the beer I credit for getting me into craft beer about 5 years ago. It's an excellent transition from drinking macros. I have to admit I used to like this a lot more as this is a bit on the malty side of the spectrum for my taste these days. Would definitely recommend for someone willing to venture into the wonderful world of craft beer.

3.86/5  rDev +1.6%

The bottle had an "enjoy before date" of March 2016 and came from a 6 pack.

Into a Riedel Ouverture beer glass it poured medium amber. The head was off-white and about an inch and a half high. It's an attractive lager.

The smell was mild and what one would expect from a lager; nothing too special there.

I've had three of these from the six pack I bought. The first one I took out of the refrigerator about 10 minutes before I popped it, poured it and took my first drink. The head was too short, smell too mild and the taste was thin and the after-taste was overly crisp and the finish a bit bitter. However something was there telling me that this is a quality product. The next day I took my second one out of the refrigerator for about 15 minutes, popped it and waited another 5 minutes before I poured it and took my first drink. It was better in all regards. My third one the following day was the charm. I took it out of the refrigerator for 20 minutes, waited 4-5 minutes more and poured it. I then waited another 5 before I took my first drink. Oh yeah, this one was a really good lager and my rating is based on this third one. (My refrigerator is set at 40 F and the room temp was around 71 F)

I had my first Boston Lager while visiting Washington, D.C. in around 1988. I recall that I liked it very much, but had a hard time finding it in Southern California. The next year I drifted to other things, e.g., red wine and Chimay blue label. A couple of months ago I started to come back to beer. After trying some other beers, including SA Winter Lager, I decided to give Boston Lager a try.

Overall, it's a good solid lager I would recommend to friends . . . to drink at around 55F or so. ;-)

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

BB Mar 2016 at 42 degrees into snifter
Aroma pretty much none
Head small (< two cm, aggressive pour), off white, frothy, diminishing to frothy four mm ring and partial layer
Lacing poor – few small islands of tiny bubbles
Body light orange, clear
Flavor starts moderately bitter with some malt coming through – pretty balanced – ends with some light chalkiness. No alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.75, Aroma 3, Flavor 3.75, Palate 4, Overall 3.75

3.91/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours dark orange, amber color with an off white head, lots of carbonation, beer is clear, head dissipated into a soapy film.

A: Nutty, bread aromas, some vanilla, banana, smells pretty complex but aromas are subtle.

T: Like the nose, nutty, bread flavors, some spice forward moderate hop bitterness in the middle, finish is nut, bread, caramel, hints of banana, has some complexity and depth.

M: Light bodied, semi-dry finish, easy drinking.

O: This is pretty good, it's a safe middle of the road beer, nothing really stands out about it but it has some depth and complexity, easy drinking, a good amount of flavor and aromas, balanced, it's good, enjoyable.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I have drank plenty of SA Boston Lager but I feel a bit guilty rating it. Oh well, pours a deep amber with a modest head. Has a pleasant bready malty aroma with a semi sweet malty flavor. Feels semi thick in the mouth with a dry sweet finish. This has always been an easy to drink brew that compliments lots of different foods.

3.84/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: crystal clear; bronze in color; 1 finger off white head that receded to a thin collar; nice lacing;

S: bready, nutty, a little malt sweetness;

T; sweeter that you expect from the aroma; toffee up front; bready and nutty from the middle to the end; finish is long lasting and mildly bitter;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish;

O: easy drinking; a little sweet for my taste; pairs well with a lot of food;

2.9/5  rDev -23.7%

A good beer, but I'm not sure I like it as much as others seem to. Great look, good smell, good feel. And the taste is above average too, but there's something about the finish that I don't love. It's not the hops in the finish; that I enjoyed. It's a little oily, and that I don't care for.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

Ya know, it's a pretty darn good lager, exquisite balance of maltiness, balance, and crispness. I know, I know, this is now a 'mass market' beer, but the truth is, it's hard to match.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

A true classic beer that will never go out of style. Tastes very smooth with a great taste of hops and a nice level of carbonation, with a malty smell and aftertaste. Pours a golden color with a nice foamy head that sticks to the glass as you drink it. I always prefer drinking out of the bottle however.

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

Look: Golden Amber color. Small white head that dissipates quickly and some carbonation bubbles.

Smell: Floral hops, malt and caramel and some sweet malt.

Taste: A good balance of sweet malt with some floral hops and then some pleasant bitterness at the end.

Feel: Medium carbonation, medium body and overall very easy drinking.

3.57/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

From Taste of America. In Teku glass. After dinner. Not much foam. High drinkability with a pleasant bitterness. I wish Seville's lagers were like Boston's ones

3.84/5  rDev +1.1%

Often a gateway beer to craft beers for a lot of people, this is definitely a superior brew to the other macros: the budweisers, heinakens, and millers. Its Rich lager with balance, hops and maltiness. Not too sweet not too bitter, and it is always widely available, definitely my go to beer when I am out and about.

4.62/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Another great "go to" beer for me when I'm out. Looks great in its signature glass and tastes great on tap or bottled. Probably Boston Brewing's best beer along with Octoberfest.

4.14/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It's been years since I've had a Boston Lager. Two were included in the Holiday Classics 12 pack. This beer brought the craft beer movement to the forefront. Boston Lager was my first step out of the "Bud Light"comfort zone. Sweet malts up front flow gently into a subtle hop bite and somewhat dry finish. Beautiful, flavorful and very drinkable. This reunion with Boston Lager will keep me from overlooking it next time I'm in the craft beer isle.

3.3/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A nice outing for a mass market beer. Amber in color with spare head, nice robust aroma and taste. Very drinkable with a little bit of hops bite. Need to check this one out again.

4.52/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an exceptional beer. I had it while on vacation in Maine. We went camping at Acadia National Park and I picked up a 6-pack of this to have by the fire. It was rich, not lacking in flavor, and smooth. I had it with a lot of different food items over the grill and it complemented each of them nicely. I will definitely get this one again.

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

330ml bottle into a conical 2/3 pint glass. Paid £4.99 for a pack of four.

Pours a clear, deep amber coloured body that changes to a bright, golden orange when held to the light. A two-finger in height, thick, off white, bubbly head dissipates slowly with the help of masses of fine streaming carbonation, leaving behind a modest amount of delicate lacing on the glass.

The nose is subtle and simple overall; light amounts of crisp toasty grains, caramel malt and a small dose of floral and grassy hops are present in equal parts. The taste follows suit, crisp, sweet malts and a touch of caramel lead upfront before fading into a slightly dry floral and grassy hop profile mid palate. Towards the finish a mild amount grassy and citrus bitterness builds, cleanly rounding off lingering sweetness from the malty body. In the mouth, fine carbonation and a light to medium body give a feel that starts smooth and creamy and finishes clean, crisp and slightly dry. A tiny amount of astringency on the very end encourages you to take another gulp.

Overall this is a good beer, nicely balanced, extremely quaffable and great value for money, given the choice though I’d probably prefer a Brooklyn Lager.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Sometimes I forget how good Sam really is because I drink it so often. Been drinking a long time as northeast born and raised. Such a crisp profile with pine notes and mild hops with great mild bitterness.

My go to craft beer. This beer helped me see the light from low grade mass manufactured beer. Pours a nice copper brown, with a nice 4 finger head and good lacing. Smooth and hoppy. Served ice cold on draft down at the local Texas Roadhouse. I can destroy a sixxer with little to no hangover. It's all there and some more

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)