Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Alström Bros
seedsofchaos

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance and smell aside, has anyone else ever thought that any Sam Adams product just tastes "off"? It's almost as if a decent brew was in production but then ruined by dirty Boston water...

An average brew should you face a desperate situation where you are in the middle of nowhere but they still have a Sammy.

01-30-2010 15:35:11 | More by seedsofchaos
BeerMasterD

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz. brown bottle, February notched on the label, #55 Chicago Gold 2003 award winner under tha cap. Its midnight and im bored so i decided, what the hell, im gonna review a boston lager.
Poured a clear light amber into a 1987 Bud-Light Spuds Mackenzie pilsner glass, 2 finger head with good sticky retention, frosty looking and some wild carbonation going on here. Smells so very toasty, caramel sweet and hoppy. Tastes toasty malt, and hops, got a faint hint of caramel but not pronounced. Very well balanced and only slightly bitter that is enjoyable, really diggn' the smoothness of this blend of simple flavor. A good medium mouthfeel to this with the prefect amount of carbonation, i didnt know this was a 'vienna lager' before, but this is just a good beer. Ive had Boston Lager several times but this is the first time i really sat down to enjoy it and review, i realized there was alot i was missing out on. It seems though to be so hit or miss with the bottled version anyway, sometimes its spot on other times its very off. Either way ill be getting this again, highly drinkable, i already want another and i havent completely finished this glass yet. Sessionable.

01-30-2010 05:08:36 | More by BeerMasterD
MikeRa

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%

A: This lager has a nice amber color to it

S: It has a nice camarel malty smell with some nice floral hops to go with it

T: It has a excellent caramel malt taste to it

M: This beer has excellent carbonization, and goes down smooth

D: This is a beer that I will most definitely drink again.

01-28-2010 03:26:38 | More by MikeRa
TheMightyGUEST

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

Had this on tap at a Max and Erma's location in my town. It was served just chilled at cellar temperature, which is something I've not seen another local bar do. Usually beer in these parts is served way too cold!

Appearance - A dark red, almost a lovely maroon. The head was two fingers and sticky, a soft cream color.

Smell - Toasty with malts. Slightly floral, I think.

Taste - Well balanced. Bitter doesn't overpower, but instead all the flavors are working together. Definitely kind of toasty, as was indicated by the smell. As I said before, the best way to describe this is balanced. No one flavor dominates to the point of throwing the drink off.

Mouth feel - Oh man, this was creamy. I've always wondered what people meant when they called a beer creamy but now I understand.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this as a session beer. It stands up well against other beers, and has a comparable ABV for long nights. The flavor and aroma are nice and warming, but it's got a refreshing aspect that would work well in summer heat. This is definitely an all-year beer.

01-27-2010 15:46:01 | More by TheMightyGUEST
Borgs

Connecticut

Appearance - Head retention is good. It has a deep amber color, & is about as clear as can be.

Smell - It has an earthy hop & toasted malt aroma.

Taste - The aforementioned aromas blend well together bringing out a super tasty brew.

Mouthfeel - This lager feels so good on the palate that I always hesitate on swallowing.

Drinkability - I will have another & another & another...

01-25-2010 02:08:54 | More by Borgs
Maltoftheearth

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

I want to be hard on this beer since its mass marketed, but let's call a spade a spade- it's great beer.

A: Clear light caramel brown color. Nice head that won't last past the first two sips.

S: Should bottle this smell. Subtle malts with sweet floral undertones. Very nice.

T: Not a lot of hops, but balances well with the semi-sweet caramel malty flavor. Very nice for a lager no doubt.

F: Not to much here, but hits you in the right places. Finishes slightly bitter.

D: About as drinkable as a beer gets. I like it because it's good if you're in for 2 or 20.

You will not ponder this beer like you would a big stout, but it's at the top of it's class in lager. A super star in the world of beers. A classic.

01-24-2010 22:08:58 | More by Maltoftheearth
JerseyPaul

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Clear, light brownish/amber color with plenty of carbonation; white head dissipates quickly but leaves very good lacing.

Smell: Sweet caramel malt with some biscuit notes; hops also slightly present, possibly citrus and/or herbal

Taste: Nice caramel malt sweetness comes out up front; finishes smooth & crisp with light hoppiness; everything ties together nicely

Mouthfeel: Medium body; good carbonation; smooth & light but not watered down

Drinkability: Solid, but not spectacular, lager; ABV allows this to be a good session beer; nice go-to beer since it's readily available at most bar/restaurants

Overall, Boston Lager is a very respectable beer. It's a good selection if I'm out and cannot find a new beer to try. It has enough positive qualities to put it way ahead of the mass produced, watered down macros that dominate the beer scene.

01-24-2010 19:40:22 | More by JerseyPaul
Long813

Ontario (Canada)

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Dated: May, Nothing else is ticked besides May, does have a 10 after Dec though.

G: Pint Glass

A: Clear amber body with two fingers of white head. Head quickly dissipates into a thin film and leaves decent lacing.

S: Mild ans subtle sweet malts and hops tie together quite well. Nothing else to note.

T: Fronts with caramel & roasted malts and hops follow up right after.

M: medium-light bodied and medium carbonation. It's quite creamy and smooth while leaving a sticky bitter feeling after.

D: Pleasant lager, but nothing special or worthwhile IMO. It's very expensive for what you get.

01-23-2010 22:44:55 | More by Long813
OldRaspi

4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

From bottle into a 16oz glass:

A: Amber in color, light head.

S: Fairly straightforward smell, light hops dominated by a sweet malt. Smell kind of flat.

T: Mostly malt followed by a nice rush of hops. A nice mix, very crisp. Hint of sour towards the end.

M: Medium/Light bodied, good carbonation. Nice bite.

D: Goes down smooth, everything about this beer is great.

01-23-2010 05:36:59 | More by OldRaspi
roddwolff

Mexico

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

Tasted in a sunset of january 2009. Look: Reflects a dark amber and opaque color, creamy head with two fingers thick, good lacing; Smell: Predoimantes biscuity malt, some hops with citrus notes; Taste: Very similar, biscuity malt with floral-citrus hops; Mouthfeel: Refreshing, sweet bitterness, medium body, high carbonation; Drinkability: I enjoyed seeing the sun getting on the horizon as i drank the beer.

01-23-2010 01:29:08 | More by roddwolff
heissebier

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance- Nice creamy looking head with a rich golden brown tint. Gorgeous. Good lacing all the way down.

Smell- Not overpowering but definately present. Caramel malts are very evident, but the hops do a nice job balancing.

Taste- Slightly sweet with just the perfect touch of hops. Has a roasted character to it and the hops linger. Definitely a good beer, but not perfect either.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and smooth with a light, easy drinking but not too watery body.

Drinkability- Would make a wonderful session beer. Nothing too complex but in general a well done lager.

01-22-2010 07:00:10 | More by heissebier
tjd112

4.63/5  rDev +23.8%

Presentation - Poured into Flying Fish Pint glass

Appearance - Poured a brown color with a short retained white head but plenty of lacing

Smell - Bready aroma with some spice

Taste - Bready aroma with a bit of caramel spice and some hops

Mouthfeel - Light bodied, well carbonated

Drinkability/Overall - For a macro, this is really great. A very easy drinking beer.

01-21-2010 21:06:17 | More by tjd112
californiakulak

4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

I had beer in my kegerator so I after 165 beer I finally decided to review it. Poured it into my Samuel Adams pint glass.

A. Dark ruby/amber color with a nice head and decent lacing.

S. Rich malt aromas. Bready and earthy.

T. Caramel and roasted flavors. Some hops as well. Very good beer. Also some sweet brown sugar flavors.

M. Thin like it should be. Very carbonated and a slight bit of bitterness.

D. Well I finished a 15.5 gallon keg without much help so pretty drinkable.

01-21-2010 16:42:53 | More by californiakulak
Josievan

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance: Darker color than one might expect from such a lager, kind of a deep redish-orange. Head and lacing are abundant, helped by my sloshing pour into a weizen glass.

Smell: Hops hit you first, and there's malt in the background, too.

Taste: It's definitely hoppy, but well-balanced from the malt. There's a sweetness that's coming through this time that I don't remember ever tasting before.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium bodied, with just a little hop bite. Doesn't seem to suffer from excess carbonation like some Sam Adams beers do.

Drinkability: You really aren't going to find a more sessionable beer, especially one as readily available.

Notes: It's somewhat uncommon for a brewery's flagship beer to be one of their best offerings, but that's definitely the case with Boston Lager. In fact, Boston Lager might be my favorite Sam Adams beer. I here that this beer is sublime straight from the brewery, so I make it my mission to visit someday.

01-20-2010 21:16:13 | More by Josievan
Chico1985

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours very light brownish-orange with a head that starts out big white and fluffy, turns into a small layer that sits on top the whole time leaving decent lacing. Not too much for the smell here, oats, malts, a little bit of light fruit..maybe orange. Taste is smooth and malty, bready and light fruit (apricot comes to mind). A little metallic tasting at times but seemingly random. Tastes a bit like a macro, but a big step above that. Mouthfeel is okay, refreshing, high amount of carbonation. Obviously not the most exciting beer in the world, but always a pleasure to drink for me. One of the best choices if you're looking for a beer you can find in basically every bar. A nice session beer.

01-20-2010 20:02:50 | More by Chico1985
generalnotsew

Tennessee

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

A: The head and coloring on this is flawless. Beautiful thick rich creamy head that has staying power. Never seen a head like this on macro lagers. Color is not far off from an IPA.

S: Sweet and sour bitter malts, hops and barley. There is a lot going on here. Nice pilsner smell without the gagging.

T: Great smooth maltiness with a surprising amount of hops. Don't get me wrong it isn't hoppy by any means but there is something there you don't get in many of the style except maybe Prima Pils. A bit sweet and a bit sour and very tasty.

M: Perhaps the carbonation could be toned down a hair but seems to fit the lager style. Still pretty great.

D: Only 4.5% abv. You can have loads at a friends BBQ. Very refreshing. I could almost drink this in place of water.

I have had this a couple times and decided I finally needed to review it. I was prepared to not like this. For one I don't care for lagers and 2 I was considering Sam Adams to be basically macro. I thought at the least it would be tolerable and a bit better than BMC pretty close to PBR quality.

But what I didn't count on was really liking this beer. I don't mean I think it is ok but I think it is great. Lager or no lager I have to rank this up there. My apologies to Jim Koch. He made a great brew.

01-20-2010 05:29:21 | More by generalnotsew
degerbah

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

Very clear light brown without much head, but plenty of carbonation. Sweet malty aroma with just a hint of earthy hop smell. The taste is maltier than I expected with the aforementioned hop taste present as well. Slightly flatter than I'd like, and not as easy to drink as a macro-style light lager. Way more flavorful though. Most reminds me of a Yuengling traditional lager as opposed to a Great Lakes Elliot Ness. I feel like if I were drinking it at normal macro tap temp (33 degrees) then it would be an easier to drink.

01-20-2010 02:38:31 | More by degerbah
ch473

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured about 42 degrees F from bottle into a wide, round wine glass. Nice big foamy head. Good amber color.

Smell is not very impressive. Some malt and sweetness but not much else.

I've had this beer before but never really studied it. I'm surprised how watery it tastes. There's a tiny bit of bitterness and mint and some sweetness but not much else. It's almost sour.

Mouthfeel is not very good. Good carbonation on the back of the tongue but mostly watery.

I could only drink a lot of these if they were cheaper. This beer is sour and watery despite its nice color and I can't say it's much better than any pale American macro lager. I was disappointed.

01-19-2010 05:47:48 | More by ch473
Genuine

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%

This was one of my first beers a couple years ago so, I figured I'd try it again and compare.

Poured from the bottle into a clean Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A decent head formed from an aggressive pour. Head was a nice white, not bright white...but yet, not an off white.

Head sat ontop of a golden/orangish body.

Smell - This one smells better than the rest of Sam's brews this past 09 season. I'm happy about that.

Taste - Definitely not what I remembered. I've grown to really like heavy hopped beers so this one tasted lighter to me. But, I will say that the hops do make a bit of an appearance near the end. Just enough. They come out more as the beer warms up. This beer is better when it warms.

Mouthfeel - I thought it was pretty light...almost like water. That was my first impression. Now I feel like it has a very slight medium body to it.

Drinkability - this one is not hard to drink. Not sure if I'd have more just because...I think i'd rather have a SN, but this would be my go to choice at a resturant if nothing else is available.

01-19-2010 03:54:05 | More by Genuine
brownbeer

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

This lager has a nice, amber color which sets it apart right away.

It has a nice hop/malt balance in the nose with citrus and pine blending with caramel malt.

Taste is similar to the nose, medium bodied with earth, citrus, and caramel.

A very solid lager that goes well with a number of foods or just as a tasty session beer. A good standby for restaurants.

01-19-2010 00:02:07 | More by brownbeer
thegodfather2701

A-I had this on tap and it poured a nice amber with a nice white head.

S-The nose smelled kind of musty which I thought was weird. There was also some grassy notes, but also some hops and malt as well.

T-Much like the nose a nice balance between hops and malt. It also had some grassy notes as well.

M-Kind of thick with moderate carbonation.

D-I would say this is a session beer all the way, it has a low abv. and it isn't very complex or too hoppy.

Overall, I have enjoyed this beer the very few times I have drank it. I can't imagine what it would have been like to try this beer when it originally was released, I'm sure it would have been mind blowing at the time. Thank you Jim Koch for giving us this beer and helping to change beer in America forever.

01-18-2010 02:17:47 | More by thegodfather2701
meeekyh

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -7%

Served in a really, really cold pint glass. Fine for most of the swill served at the fine owl-and-mammary-themed establishment but not ideal for tasting a beer.

Small, tan-white head but nice lacing. Deep honey color and no haze.

After allowing it to warm a bit some malt, caramel and a hint of orange peel come though in the nose.

Nice malty, hoppy-pine start with a slightly-sweet grainy flavour. Really quite a bit of flavour for a mass-produced lager.

Medium body with nice carbonation.

Drinkibility is OK but I would prefer more flavour and a bit of tartness. I can't speak to the specific style though.

01-17-2010 04:45:39 | More by meeekyh
fastsrt

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

12 ounce bottle to pint
A: Bronze with a good head
S: Biscuits, herbal hops.
T: Malty, smooth, snappy hops, balanced
M: Thin, spicy hops.
D: Refreshing, snappy hop finish, goes well with food. this is not a beer to savor. I would never drink more than 2.

01-15-2010 15:00:30 | More by fastsrt
buschbeer

3.2/5  rDev -14.4%

I poured into my Sam Adams winter lager pint glass to a generous head. It is golden in color and clear. I smell sweet, bready malts and floral hops. The taste begins with malt but is quickly replaced by the mildly bitter hops. It's an ok beer. It is not one of my favorite offerings from BBC.

Cheers!

01-12-2010 03:09:21 | More by buschbeer
MTNboy

Germany

I can't believe it has taken me this long to rate a beer that I seem to drink a lot.
It is my beer of choice when I go to restaurants that do not seem to have a selection of craft beers. It has a thick and frothy off white almost tan head with a nice amount of staying power and lace. The body is red amber with a slight yellow color to it. The aroma is that of mild hops and bread. It has breakfast cereal like grainy taste. A high quality malt flavored beer with just the right amount of hops. The mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation.

01-07-2010 20:38:42 | More by MTNboy
Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)