Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A=Served in a chilled mug...nice dark amber color with larger foamy froth around 1/2."

S=Strong hop with citrus present.

T=Very nice, strong, flavorful brew--hops with slight citrus tang.

M=Very nice...I'd prefer it to be just a tad fuller.

O=I would still consider this the standard for a lager in the U.S., but still hope to find one I like better.

dhannes, Mar 31, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +11%

I've had a Sam Adams before, of course. But this is the first time I really sat down to try and analyze it. It deserves to be "America's beer," especially given the alternatives.

It's bronze, perfectly bright. It's foamy, with a good head and strong laces.

It's sweet and floral in the nose.

I love the malty, caramel, almost sweet taste with the hop bite, spicy at the end. Faintly toasty.

Medium bodied, medium carbonated. Very drinkable.

This beer shows that a beer made to please the most people can still be made with great quality.

sj660, Mar 31, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -11%

Poured into tall Becher glass. High carbonation. Served around 40F. White, two finger head that dissipates at a expected rate leaving a complete layer of shimmering top foam. Large cell lacing.

S - Vienna like; grain malt aroma with hops that are balancing out. Very pleasant and inviting. Lagered crispness and cleanness. Toasty.

T - tastes of pale malt rather than German maltings such as Munich or Vienna. Caramel notes are low. No DMS. Expecting more of a malty sweetness. More bittered than sweet. Hop flavor is earthy with low floral notes - noble.

M - low in malt sweetness and aftertaste is a bit weak- bitter rather than elegant as a Vienna. Rough. Could use a touch more dextrin for mouthfeel and finish. Crisp and late malt finish.

Decent beer. My first SABL I have enjoyed. Not bad.

MinnesotaRIS, Mar 31, 2011

I figured I should finally get around to this classic. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Clear golden color, small head, some lacing

Smell: The Hallertau hops give it a nice floral aroma, combined with some caramely malts

Taste: Some sweet caramel malt, some hoppy bitterness

Mouthfeel: Light body, crisp carbonation

Overall: A good classic lager, I enjoy it. Its not a go to for me, mostly because of how much there is out there, but at least I know that if I see it in a bar, I can have something I will enjoy. An excellent session beer.

MadCat, Mar 29, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Clean Amber, orange glow

Head: Very light tan head

Smell: Caramel notes with a little hint of grass

Taste: grassy malts with a nice caramel and hops on the end

Weight: Medium to light body and medium amount of carbonation

Finish: Caramel with some hops and leaves a hint of stickiness on the lips

Snow81, Mar 27, 2011

12oz. bottle, chilled.

Pours an amber-color, has a foamy white head that lasts for a while and leaves lacing. A very pretty lager, has a high level of carbonation.

Tastes hopppier than most lagers, actually has real beer taste as opposed to an adjunct lager.
Nicely balanced, like the Noble Pils it manages to combine a good amount of hops with the underlying malt flavor.

Has a more medium-bodied mouthfeel, yet is still very drinkable at under 5% abv, and refreshing when served cold. A great example of what a German-style lager can be, and a good intro to craft beer for many drinkers.

Sudsy89, Mar 27, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

A- Light amber with a thin head of small bubbles.

S- Surprisingly strong with some light maltiness and hints of spicy hops.

T- The spicy hops are definitely there with notes of clove, ginger, cinnamon, and its backed up with that light sweet malt.

M- Light in body and medium in carbonation, this is a light and refreshing lager that goes down easy.

D- Very drinkable, enough substance to bring me back for more, but light and refreshing enough that this could be an all day every day drinker. Not the most exciting beer ever but its a classic and a solidly good beer.

Guden, Mar 27, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +28.3%

This is one of my favorite beers on tap at a resturaunt. If I go somewhere and see sam adams on tap, I have to order one. So I usually drink this beer with food. Particularly ribs.
When I eat ribs, there is nothing I would rather have to drink than an ice cold sam adams boston lager on tap. And the way the "head marks" stick to my frosty glass on the way down, I can tell how many drinks I took to finish my beer.
Anyone who has ever ate some world-class ribs - tell the waitress, "I'll have a Sam Adams with that please." One of the Finster's all time favorites.

Finster, Mar 26, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Bottle (2010)

Windmill Farms
San Diego, CA

A clear golden amber with an off-white head which lasts quite a while. Leaves considerable lacing down the glass. All in all, and per the style, one of my favorite beers to ogle over.

A pleasant combination of some hops and an earthy malt in the forefront. This beer smells particularly bready. An inviting and welcoming aroma.

A bready and malty beer with a good amount of hop bitterness. The focus though is the bready malt character while the hops just add a small punch of bitterness. Balanced and very enjoyable.

A thin to medium mouthfeel, which makes for easy drinking. The flavor lingers a bit, which is nice.

A very good beer available everywhere bad beer is served.

ehammond1, Mar 26, 2011

Okay, since I was on the Sam Adams part of the site, thought I would review this as well.

Pours deep copper amber with a good head.

Up front those nice nose with a bit of spice.

This is not a hoppy beer but what everyone remembers about Sam Adams that made them great to start. A really nice complexity.

Obviously this is a very drinkable good brew. It made Sam Adams. If you get past the fact that they are now everywhere and not really a microbrewer, then you can enjoy it.

ChristianBlack, Mar 25, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a nice amber-golden. Sizeable white head. Substantial, intricate lace, Impressive.

Malty aroma, a little bread, some citrus.

Taste is malty and sweet yeasty at first, then followed by an injection of Noble hops with a slightly tart, citrus hint to the finish. Nice touch! And superb balance of malts and hops.

Tasty and well worthy!

secondtooth, Mar 25, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle poured into pint

A: deep copper or lighter amber with a 1/2" head. more lacing than i had expected...

S: Up front those nice hops and spice. Not as floral as expected but a nice balance.

T: Not as hoppy on the palate for first sip but more nutty. Second sip you get the hops but balanced against the roasted malts. Some nice complexities for a widely available brew.

M/D: Very drinkable but nothing to write home about as being a "must try". Something dependable that you can find anywhere. All around i enjoyed it and would again...

OldRaysputin, Mar 24, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Originaly from a bottle poured into a Dave and Busters Tall glass.

A: Looks like a rust or dark gold.

S: Smells very good. Smells of carmel.

T: I very much enjoyed the taste of this beer. Its got a very "beery" taste without being overpowering. The caramel accent comes out and really makes this beer enjoyalbe.

M: Good carbination, not over or under done.

D: Drinkabilty is ok. Quality is great but I can only drink a few before they make me very full and bloated feeling for some reason.

O: Im new to the beer world, and beer has really grown to my liking. I've havent had the honor of trying any craft beer yet, but so far..Sam Adams Boston Lager is by far and away my favorite beer.

Fluffy88, Mar 24, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

thanks for this one in a recent BIF to beerindex. Second thanks to Urbancaver for orchestrating this one.

A: Apricot colored lager with excellent clarity and a single finger head of loose white foam which dissipates within a minute to a moderate sheet of the same. classic. spots of lacing.

S: This one smells oxidized. Too bad it's the one I'm reviewing. Plastic, slight skunk over the top of sweet caramel malts. Fairly simple and straitforward. Despite the apparent oxygen infusion, the beer stands up to above average.

T: Slightly sharp. Plenty of malt and underlying bitterness. Slight metallic flavor. Nice nougat flavor in the background.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation. Excellent for the style.

O: well done beer. Finely tuned and stands the test of time.

harrymel, Mar 22, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +26.2%

I have been drinking this beer for many years and have never reviewed it in a forum like this before. I am a fan of many Sam beers, and many other micro brews for that matter, however I always find myself coming back to Boston Lager as my foundation beer.

Pours wonderfully straight down the glass giving it a solid head that will create mild rings in the glass as you drink it.

Really nice and unique flavor at first taste. Some brews are close in flavor in their respective categories, however this always taste new to me each time I drink it...I rated the taste as exceptional because it truly is.

Overall, very solid beer. I think it is easy to group this beer into a mass produced beer category because of its popularity, however I feel that Boston Lager is in a class all its own.

CuseItUp, Mar 22, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Nice head made of tiny bubbles. Nice golden color.

S - Not getting much (unfortunately I got some foam in my nose which cut my smell short)

T - Great balance. Malty up front, Hoppy in the middle, and a well balanced aftertaste with a faint citrus flavor.

M - Gives me that numb mouthfeel I get from a good clean beer (not from ABV)

D - Great beer. Could drink a few more with great pleasure.

O - My favorite SA I've tried so far (4th SA).

tetu, Mar 21, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +27.8%

My friend John brought a 6 pack over. This beer is actually rare in Holland.

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Pours golden red with a nice two finger head.

Smells of roasted malts, spices and hops.

Full malt flavor with a good amount of hop bitterness.

A medium body and medium amount of carbonation. Slight dry finish and the bitterness lingers for a while.

This is my go to beer when I'm in the U.S.. Every once in a while I go crazy in Holland and will pick up a case of this stuff (wich will cost $ 50). The fact that a bunch of my (BMC drinking) friends have fallen in love with this beer says a lot about the drinkability of this beer. My favorite lager

doopiedoopiedoo, Mar 21, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

A- Pours a 1-finger off white head with a golden amber body. Good retention and lace. Crystal clear.

S- Caramel up front, slight grassy hops, and a little biscuity.

T- Spicy, floral, and grassy hops. Cramael malt sweetness, but the floral flavors shine through.

MF- Light to moderate body with a clean finish and good carbonation.

LtCracker20, Mar 19, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -11%

I'm stuck at LAX cause SWA cancelled my flight, again. I'm trying to make the most of this experience so I looked for a bar with something decent to drink. This is honestly the best I could find.

On tap at the home turf sports bar.

A - The beer arrived in a large pilsner glass with a one finger head. The color is a nice orange hue with a foamy white color head.

S - I'm mostly picking up some light malts, a hint of wheat and some very light hop presence. Nothing big happening here, but it's also not as offensive as other lagers I normally avoid like the plague.

T - I should warn you that this is my least favorite style, but this is actually a very decent beer. It has a very nice, light hop flavor that I rarely taste in most lagers. The malts are also masterfully implemented here as well. Some nice spice present as well, I think it coriander.

M - Nice medium light mouthfeel with some really good carbonation. Slightly spiky, yet refreshing.

O - This beer surprised me if you couldn't tell. I've become such a snob that i have passed this up in the past. Its still not my favorite beer nor will it ever be, but this is a great example of this style IMO. I see this being a very refreshing summer beer that I will not turn down again, unless there is something I like better.

dubinsky, Mar 19, 2011

12oz bottle. Can't believe I hadn't reviewed this before.

Amber in color, some head with some lacing, a few bubbles. Very clear and clean looking.

Smells like lightly roasted malts--caramel and nutty aromas.

Taste is those malt flavors, mildly sweet, with some European hop flavors over the top the whole way. The malts make the flavor robust enough, the hops keep it interesting and make it finish crisp.

Feels clean, crisp and lager-like on the mouth.

Really a decent beer, and a good go-to choice if you're looking for a beer to drink a lot of. Easy to find everywhere, and never an awful choice in a bind.

musicforairports, Mar 18, 2011

Appearance - Nice dark, amber tint with a 1/4" white head that quickly dissipates.

Smell - Instant smell of hops and sweet spices.

Taste - Quite a bit of hops for a lager but refreshing. Also a hint of spice and sweetness in the after taste.

Mouthfeel - Slight tingle to the palate.

Drinkability - Easy to drink and not to rich for excessive drinking. Goes down smooth.

GuinNess86, Mar 15, 2011

Appearance
Amber, orange with a white creamy head that slowly fades into the body.

Smell
Hops in the nose. Great to smell good hops in a lager. Also a bit of malt and sweetness.

Taste
Immedaite hops, similar to the smell. So nice to taste hops for real in a lager, as most seem to be too subdued for my taste. A bit of malt and just barely a hint of spice.

Mouthfeel
Mild tingle from the carbonation and an overall smooth feel. Decent body for a lager, and does not feel thin or watery.

Drinkability
Easy to down and doesn't fill up quick, great as a session beer.

legatovibrato24, Mar 15, 2011

Best Before June 2011

A - Clear orangey amber body, medium white head with good retention.

S - spicy lager, citrusy hops, a nice light malty profile.

T - malty, dry, a bit of spice, reminds me a bit of green tea. Hop bitterness on the back

M - light, a bit thin. Good feel, small.

D - nothing great, but pretty drinkable.

ColdPoncho, Mar 09, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

A- Nice amber, carmel color with a nice thick head. Head sticks to the glass and leaves a thin creamy head when it recedes.

S- Malts and hops, dark sweet smells, like brown sugar or syrup but this is a very faint smell. Nice though. Nice malt smell as well.

T- You immediatly get the bitterness of nice hops, but the nice toasted malts come in to balance the flavor out. Fantastic lager and def one of my favorites.

M- Its everything you would want out of a nice hop/malt easy drinker. Nice carbonation that tingles your tongue but doesnt leave a dry taste. very nice on the mouth.

D- One of my favorite session beers. Im glad i work at a place that gets this on tap, its even more fantastic on tap!

JesteR14, Mar 08, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

good old boston lager. this grew on me as a session drink. not much of a head when poured but the color is a pretty amber/gold. you can smell the spicy pilsner hops first, then finish with sweet caramel malt. the flavor follows the smell. very smooth and easy, the nice spicy/sweet mix makes this a very enjoyable beer.

aaron12, Mar 08, 2011
Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)