Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -0.3%

Bottle poured into pint

A: deep copper or lighter amber with a 1/2" head. more lacing than i had expected...

S: Up front those nice hops and spice. Not as floral as expected but a nice balance.

T: Not as hoppy on the palate for first sip but more nutty. Second sip you get the hops but balanced against the roasted malts. Some nice complexities for a widely available brew.

M/D: Very drinkable but nothing to write home about as being a "must try". Something dependable that you can find anywhere. All around i enjoyed it and would again...

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Originaly from a bottle poured into a Dave and Busters Tall glass.

A: Looks like a rust or dark gold.

S: Smells very good. Smells of carmel.

T: I very much enjoyed the taste of this beer. Its got a very "beery" taste without being overpowering. The caramel accent comes out and really makes this beer enjoyalbe.

M: Good carbination, not over or under done.

D: Drinkabilty is ok. Quality is great but I can only drink a few before they make me very full and bloated feeling for some reason.

O: Im new to the beer world, and beer has really grown to my liking. I've havent had the honor of trying any craft beer yet, but so far..Sam Adams Boston Lager is by far and away my favorite beer.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

thanks for this one in a recent BIF to beerindex. Second thanks to Urbancaver for orchestrating this one.

A: Apricot colored lager with excellent clarity and a single finger head of loose white foam which dissipates within a minute to a moderate sheet of the same. classic. spots of lacing.

S: This one smells oxidized. Too bad it's the one I'm reviewing. Plastic, slight skunk over the top of sweet caramel malts. Fairly simple and straitforward. Despite the apparent oxygen infusion, the beer stands up to above average.

T: Slightly sharp. Plenty of malt and underlying bitterness. Slight metallic flavor. Nice nougat flavor in the background.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation. Excellent for the style.

O: well done beer. Finely tuned and stands the test of time.

4.68/5  rDev +25.1%

I have been drinking this beer for many years and have never reviewed it in a forum like this before. I am a fan of many Sam beers, and many other micro brews for that matter, however I always find myself coming back to Boston Lager as my foundation beer.

Pours wonderfully straight down the glass giving it a solid head that will create mild rings in the glass as you drink it.

Really nice and unique flavor at first taste. Some brews are close in flavor in their respective categories, however this always taste new to me each time I drink it...I rated the taste as exceptional because it truly is.

Overall, very solid beer. I think it is easy to group this beer into a mass produced beer category because of its popularity, however I feel that Boston Lager is in a class all its own.

3.86/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Nice head made of tiny bubbles. Nice golden color.

S - Not getting much (unfortunately I got some foam in my nose which cut my smell short)

T - Great balance. Malty up front, Hoppy in the middle, and a well balanced aftertaste with a faint citrus flavor.

M - Gives me that numb mouthfeel I get from a good clean beer (not from ABV)

D - Great beer. Could drink a few more with great pleasure.

O - My favorite SA I've tried so far (4th SA).

4.75/5  rDev +27%

My friend John brought a 6 pack over. This beer is actually rare in Holland.

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Pours golden red with a nice two finger head.

Smells of roasted malts, spices and hops.

Full malt flavor with a good amount of hop bitterness.

A medium body and medium amount of carbonation. Slight dry finish and the bitterness lingers for a while.

This is my go to beer when I'm in the U.S.. Every once in a while I go crazy in Holland and will pick up a case of this stuff (wich will cost $ 50). The fact that a bunch of my (BMC drinking) friends have fallen in love with this beer says a lot about the drinkability of this beer. My favorite lager

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

A- Pours a 1-finger off white head with a golden amber body. Good retention and lace. Crystal clear.

S- Caramel up front, slight grassy hops, and a little biscuity.

T- Spicy, floral, and grassy hops. Cramael malt sweetness, but the floral flavors shine through.

MF- Light to moderate body with a clean finish and good carbonation.

3.28/5  rDev -12.3%

I'm stuck at LAX cause SWA cancelled my flight, again. I'm trying to make the most of this experience so I looked for a bar with something decent to drink. This is honestly the best I could find.

On tap at the home turf sports bar.

A - The beer arrived in a large pilsner glass with a one finger head. The color is a nice orange hue with a foamy white color head.

S - I'm mostly picking up some light malts, a hint of wheat and some very light hop presence. Nothing big happening here, but it's also not as offensive as other lagers I normally avoid like the plague.

T - I should warn you that this is my least favorite style, but this is actually a very decent beer. It has a very nice, light hop flavor that I rarely taste in most lagers. The malts are also masterfully implemented here as well. Some nice spice present as well, I think it coriander.

M - Nice medium light mouthfeel with some really good carbonation. Slightly spiky, yet refreshing.

O - This beer surprised me if you couldn't tell. I've become such a snob that i have passed this up in the past. Its still not my favorite beer nor will it ever be, but this is a great example of this style IMO. I see this being a very refreshing summer beer that I will not turn down again, unless there is something I like better.

12oz bottle. Can't believe I hadn't reviewed this before.

Amber in color, some head with some lacing, a few bubbles. Very clear and clean looking.

Smells like lightly roasted malts--caramel and nutty aromas.

Taste is those malt flavors, mildly sweet, with some European hop flavors over the top the whole way. The malts make the flavor robust enough, the hops keep it interesting and make it finish crisp.

Feels clean, crisp and lager-like on the mouth.

Really a decent beer, and a good go-to choice if you're looking for a beer to drink a lot of. Easy to find everywhere, and never an awful choice in a bind.

Appearance - Nice dark, amber tint with a 1/4" white head that quickly dissipates.

Smell - Instant smell of hops and sweet spices.

Taste - Quite a bit of hops for a lager but refreshing. Also a hint of spice and sweetness in the after taste.

Mouthfeel - Slight tingle to the palate.

Drinkability - Easy to drink and not to rich for excessive drinking. Goes down smooth.

Appearance
Amber, orange with a white creamy head that slowly fades into the body.

Smell
Hops in the nose. Great to smell good hops in a lager. Also a bit of malt and sweetness.

Taste
Immedaite hops, similar to the smell. So nice to taste hops for real in a lager, as most seem to be too subdued for my taste. A bit of malt and just barely a hint of spice.

Mouthfeel
Mild tingle from the carbonation and an overall smooth feel. Decent body for a lager, and does not feel thin or watery.

Drinkability
Easy to down and doesn't fill up quick, great as a session beer.

Best Before June 2011

A - Clear orangey amber body, medium white head with good retention.

S - spicy lager, citrusy hops, a nice light malty profile.

T - malty, dry, a bit of spice, reminds me a bit of green tea. Hop bitterness on the back

M - light, a bit thin. Good feel, small.

D - nothing great, but pretty drinkable.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Nice amber, carmel color with a nice thick head. Head sticks to the glass and leaves a thin creamy head when it recedes.

S- Malts and hops, dark sweet smells, like brown sugar or syrup but this is a very faint smell. Nice though. Nice malt smell as well.

T- You immediatly get the bitterness of nice hops, but the nice toasted malts come in to balance the flavor out. Fantastic lager and def one of my favorites.

M- Its everything you would want out of a nice hop/malt easy drinker. Nice carbonation that tingles your tongue but doesnt leave a dry taste. very nice on the mouth.

D- One of my favorite session beers. Im glad i work at a place that gets this on tap, its even more fantastic on tap!

3.52/5  rDev -5.9%

good old boston lager. this grew on me as a session drink. not much of a head when poured but the color is a pretty amber/gold. you can smell the spicy pilsner hops first, then finish with sweet caramel malt. the flavor follows the smell. very smooth and easy, the nice spicy/sweet mix makes this a very enjoyable beer.

4.18/5  rDev +11.8%

Recently bought an original brews 12 pack from Sam Adams, which throughout the night I'll be reviewing the beer from it. Here is Sam Adams baby, Boston Lager.

Appearance: Dark brown/ golden hue with an excellent head retention

Smell: Has a floral/earthy smell which is brought out by the perfect amount of hops. Maybe a hint of nuts? I LOVE the smell of this beer

Taste: A perfect bitter, hoppy taste, with a slight malted taste I can't quite put my finger on. I pick up a roasted taste as well as I'm drinking,

Mouthfeel: A nice full beer, but still within a lager catergory

Drinkability: I would drink this beer anytime, but a hearty meal would probably go really well with this. I would also recommend the Sam Adam's glasses. Seems that they would improve the drinking experience of any beer actually.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

We pour a brew of bright, honey orange. It produces a slowly growing one and a half finger head of thick white bubbles. Thick lacing clings around the glass as it recedes. There is clear translucency, and no sediment is noted. Carbonation looks to be moderately active. The aroma strikes a nice balance between malts and sweet hops. There is a drying oatiness to the malts, which blend with some fruitiness, of apricot. The hops are sweet and tannin-like, with some faint citrus poking around the sides. As we sip, malts and subdued spice hit up front. These are reminiscent of wintertime, bittering and peppery. Through the middle the flavors wash cleanly through, with the malts gasping their last breath before the hops swoop in, bitterly, to take us into the finish. Here, the hops take on a citrusy vibe, cleansing the palate on their way down in a lemony swipe. The aftertaste breathes of partially bitter hops, earthiness, speckles of booze, and a clean, but faint, citrus. The body is medium, with the carbonation following suit. The feel to the mouth is creamy, and very smooth. The carbonation contributes to the bubbly froth of each sip, but the liquid is otherwise on its way to being silky. The mouth is left dry, with that bittering hop. The abv is standard and the beer drinks with ease.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was how hop-forward it was, and its soft texture. Perhaps it is because we are on a slight hop dry streak, but the most noticeable component of the aroma, and essentially into the taste, was the hops. While this is no doubt intentional, it was a nice surprise. As for the feel, each sip went down with ease, coating the mouth just the right amount, while leaving it dry at the very end. It was soft, and inviting, and makes for a nice sessionable brew.

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

APPEARANCE: Poured from the tap into a pint glass leaving a 1/4" fizzy, off-white head by the time it got to my table. The head dissipated quickly thereafter. Color was a clear reddish-amber with moderate carbonation.

AROMA: I noticed a pleasant, moderate earthy toasted barley smell with a light grassy overlay.

TASTE: Taste pretty much followed smell. A moderate toasted barley taste supplemented with a light grassy overlay and just a bit of alcohol taste.

MOUTHFEEL: This beer had a light body with a thin texture, moderate carbonation and a slightly bitter aftertaste. Initial flavor was a light sweetness with a slightly bitter accent. The finishing flavor was of moderate sweetness with a light dry bitter ending. Finish lasted for a moderate amount of time. Body lacing was virtually nonexistent and what there was dissipated quickly.

DRINKABILITY: a good alternative to "industrial" beer for social occasions. I could drink more than one of these and enjoy it. Will definitely buy it again.

3.48/5  rDev -7%

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: golden amber with 1 fingerhead

Smell: slight spice, light floral

Taste: smooth, crisp,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, clean finish

Drinkability: easy drinker. nice to have on hand for your non craft beer friends.

Cheers,
The cpj

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Honey colored, with a touch of copper. Fluffy white head of foam that fades to a even cap.

S - Not much, as the beer is pretty cold. Bready malt mostly.

T - Sweetness up front that fades to a surprisingly strong bitterness. That leaves and there is a big after taste of hops. Not IPA or PA level, but you can tell it's there.

M - Not overly sharp for a lager, fairly slick and smooth. Not clean at all, but that's not bad.

D - Very drinkable lager.

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured on-tap at LAX while waiting for a flight. I've had it so many times, I figured it was about time to put something down about it. Served in a Weisse-vase, it's an amber-gold color with a nice, thick white foamy head that slowly recedes as the beer sits. A malty aroma with the slightest hint of hops on deeper inspection. The beer gives you a malty-caramel sweet flavor with very slightly bitter hops right behind it for balance, and also a slightly peppery characteristic at the end. There is a slight sour malt on the aftertaste, and the finish lingers for a bit in mouth. Very easy to drink throughout the course of an evening.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A-clear brown with white head
S-not a whole lot going on. What I would expect a lager to smell like
T-crisp and malty. A very clean finis. Almost a dry finish. Litlle bit of hops sprinkled through out
M-light bodied and so smooth
D-very drinkable. So crisp and clean

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a clear amber with about a finger of head fading quickly. There is a mild, malty aroma with some floral hops and a touch of caramel. Moderate to light body, slightly creamy and bitter. Some caramel joins the bitterness through the swallow, ending with a dry finish. Great flavor for a mass commercial brew, and one of my personal favorite regular beverages.

4.17/5  rDev +11.5%

On Tap at BW3.

A - Crystal clear, brown with 2 finger off white head. Laced the whole was down.

S - Love the smell of fresh Sam Adams. Toffee, caramel, bread and a nice punch of noble hops.

T - I really enjoy Boston Lager. It is very well balanced. The sweetness of the caramel malt is complimented perfectly by the noble hops. Couldn't ask for much better. One of the better Vienna Lagers in my opinion.

M - Rich and creamy yet refreshing.

D - If I am in the mood for an "everday" beer, this is usually it. Nothing that offends and it tastes great. I feel it is much better fresh on tap.

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Brilliant golden beer with thick frothy beige head.
Subdued malt nose has both caramel and toasty notes; just a whiff of herbal hop aroma. Dryish malt character up front opens up across the palate exposing mild sweetness, toasty flavor and hop bitterness. Tangy hop flavor and firm bitterness take over at finish. Aftertaste hangs on for a while.

3.45/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a crisp clear pale yellowing orange. A good amount of white frothy head. Very high carbonation. Smells lagerish... not a lot going on on the nose. No real hops detectable but some nice malts on the tongue. Tastes a bit yeasty. I assume this is just from the lagering. I'm not really sure how to describe such a beer. Fairly non-descript but a decent mouthfeel and highly drinkable as is the goal of such a beer

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)