Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +25.7%

Boston Lager is probably the best example of the lager style. This has been my go to beer for years and it is the litmus test for good beer drinkers across the country. I know that people who love this beer will love many other great beers; while those who hate it will probably not like many other great beers.

I poured this one into a duvel glass to accent the hop aroma and it worked beautifully. I love the floral smells of this great beer. On tap it's even a little sweet tasting (with clean lines of course). The head is big and billowy then reduces quickly.

The smell is a wide array of hop aromas. These smells are some of the best I've ever gotten from a lager (how do they maintain the fruit aroma?).

Mouthfeel is a little light- but 10 years ago I would think it was thick. It makes for a great session beer.

I could honestly drink this beer all day (and have on several occasions). It reminds me of the past and times forgotten. I can remember being at USMA and drinking this delicious beer at the officer's club while watching the Red Sox on the corner TV. I can remember drinking this beer at Christmas with my Dad. I can remember giving this beer to so many friends in an effort to "convert" them to real beer. Oh how this beer is a tasty memory.

PerzentRizen, Oct 20, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Pours as a light amber beer with a good finger width head that reduces down to a light lacing after settling.

S - Low malt with a high hop aroma tingling the senses.

T - Tastes pick up a good balance of high hop with a malty aftertaste and a slight citrus taste that lingers.

Tolnik, Oct 19, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Sorry, just getting around to actually reviewing...have about an inch of it left in my glass lol!

A-Really appealing golden amber with about an inch of cream colored head that stayed around for more than half of the glass then laced beautifully down the glass like an artful spiderweb.

S-Definitely a sweet floral smell with a certain twang to it. Hard to put a finger on what the twang is, but it's definitely a good thing!

T-Wow, I'm not a pro yet by far, but this is the first beer I've come across that hasn't made me make the beer face on contact (which is alot for me!). Perfect balance between sweet and bitter. Finished clean with a surprisingly pleasant aftertaste that didn't linger on for forever and a day.

M-Went down silky smooth. Not necessarily creamy, but definitely not watery at all. It just felt right.

D-I could definitely knock back a few easily. Great session beer in my honest opinion.

HarleyGirl, Oct 18, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +18.4%

One of my all time favorites, seems to never dissapoint. Poured from brown bottle into pint glass

Appearance: Beautiful amber in color, nice, thick finger long head, this head will give you a beer mustache! Beautiful lacing that seems to follow the head down the glass.

Smell: A great smelling beer, hints of floral hops escalade into a beautiful wheat/fruit aroma.

Taste: You can tell Samuel Adams hand selects it's hops because this beer has great characteristics. Slight maltiness gives away to it's fruit profile, finishing off with a hint of spice that seems to tickle the back of your throat.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, clean and refreshing. Mild carbonation, slight bitterness gives away to a good bite.

Drinkability: Easy to drink if you prefer this style, defintley a good choice at a bar to have something different then all these nasty Bud Light and Coors products. Perfect balancing from the appearance, taste and drinkability. Kudos to Jim Koch for making Boston Lager a true American beer we can be proud of!

thespaceman, Oct 18, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer is a great example of the sum of its parts being greater than the whole. Individually, none of its constituents are much more than moderately above average. It looked pretty good, it smelled pretty good, it tasted pretty good, and it felt pretty good going down. At the end of the glass however, I thought to myself "Damn, This is great beer!" I don't really understand it.

There's definately some fun complexity in the flavor. More hops than average I'd say. there's the grainy and the malty, but it's well balanced with the bitterness.

Beernoisseur, Oct 18, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 1pt 8fl oz brown bottle.

Pours an incredibly clean amber color. Nice head, but dissipates quickly. Leaves some decent lacing on my glass.

Aroma is just like what Jim Koch always says, the smell of flowers. Very nice floral aroma from the hops. I can also detect a hint of a cinnamon like smell. There are some nice fruity smells and some nice caramel like aromas. Also has some malty aromas too.

Taste starts off a little sweet like caramel, which then turns pretty malty with some hop flavors in the mix. Finish has a nice hop bitterness to it. Has a malty aftertaste that lingers for a while. Mouthfeel seems pretty smooth. Good drinkability.

This was the first beer I ever had when I started drinking beer 4 years ago. Always has been a favorite.

NHGrafx, Oct 18, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Samuel Adams is the new King of Beers!

appearance:Looks liek a amber lager should be

smell: tons of hops smeel. love it

taste: Full flavor and malty lager

mouthfeel: Beautiful

drinkability: smooth

My second favorite lager in the world behind Brooklyn. Since its not as available Sammy has been my go to beer.

CampusCrew, Oct 15, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

12oz bottle into frosted pint glass.

A - Pours a nice light copper color with minimal head.

S - Easily pick up fruit notes with a dash of hops. I also found a hint of oak.

T - Fruit flowery flavors, a bit of caramel with a very nice clean hop finish that is just right. I was surprised with how much hop flavor this had for a lager.

M - Very smooth, not to thick or thin, with some carbonation.

D - Definitely a session beer, without a doubt.

Foxtrot, Oct 14, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass

A. Nice gold copper color with a adequate head

S. Grainy hops

T. Sweet malts balanced with a hop bitterness that is nice a good tasting brew

MF. Good carbonation and medium body to it

D. Easy to find this as its everywhere and a good session beer

Silenus89, Oct 11, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Best by 11.08

A - Clear honey, small white head leaves ring and lots of lace.

S - Floral and light barley.

T- Solid malt center, flowery sensation, good bittering at end.

M - Med to light, good carb, so-so coating.

D - Very.... Session all night.

I have always enjoyed SA. I have yet to rate it, but it is one of the very best high productions around.

srandycarter, Oct 09, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

one of my favorite lagers..nice and hoppy and very very balanced...like others say a great "go-to" beer

A-- very clear copperish color with orange hues on the edges...looks a lot better than most lagers...very sustained frothy head that is fed by tiny bubbles that never want to go away..

S-- light bread smell...flowery and malty...when fresh this beer smells so damn inviting..

T--malty biscuit taste comes on the front...almost like caramel...amazing hop presence especially for a lager..quite floral and lingerig hop tastes...clean finish.

M--very smooth..small carbonation bubbles allow for this beer to disperse all tastes quickly and then clean after hop bitterness fades..

D--i can drink this beer all day long..at less than 5% makes this beer such a great session beer with a great amount of flavors...not a bad price either, just over 20 bucks for a case?count me in baby..

stuckonhops, Oct 08, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a amber/golden color. Nice head with lots of nice lacing. Smells to me like a lot of bread smell. Not too much going on there. Drinkability is great. This beer is everything I want from a lager. Not a lot going on with this beer, but it is a very good lager that goes down quite nice. I could drink a lot of these.

Buggies, Oct 08, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured this into standard pint glass. Nice deep golden color with a about a 2 inch head that retained well with excellent lacing.

Smell was pretty average. Smell of bready dough, sweet malt, maybe some corn...a little spice.

There was a little metal taste at the beginning, that gave way to a creamy malty taste. There was a nice amount of hop bitterness at the finish.

Medium carbonation that made this highly drinkable. This was an ok brew. I know this is the 'anchor' of the brewery, but they put out so many more good brews. This is better than most mainstream lagers, but I'll get something better in the future.

Onenote81, Oct 06, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

The appearance is the best thing about this beer. Amber colored, with a decent head. No aroma to speak of, maybe a bit of malt, but not much. Taste is a metallic, slightly malty flavor, but just not much going on. This beer is maybe half a notch better than BudMillerCoors, but that's about all I can say that is positive.

PhxHorn, Oct 06, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a clear amber color with a thick off white head that stays around leaving sticky lacing around the glass.

Smell is not weak but not strong, has some nice hoppy notes.

Tastes is great, from the start you get a nice grassy hop flavor then some spicy notes that finishes clean and dry.

Mouthfeel is nice kind of silky not thick.

This is exactly what I look for in a Lager. Not weak, you can taste the hops, and the finish is dry. When I go out to eat and I want a beer to go with my food this is what I want, not some metallic watery beer that just doesn't satisfy. I like this beer a lot and will keep this in my frig since it's so easy to get.

weissbierdrinker, Oct 05, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured into a chilled lager glass. They only had chilled so i waited until the beer warmed up. Poured a deep amber with decent head. Smell was light floral hops mixed with subtle malts. taste is why i reviewed this. I had been drinking budweiser all morning so this was beyond refeshing. The hops REALLY stuck out and were quite floral, I believe the keg was freshly tapped. gentle carbonation overall. I could session these all day long.

hooliganlife, Oct 03, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

BB 09/2009, served lightly chilled in Rodenbach's slim goblet.

A: coming in a dark orangey amber hue, with a frothy beige head with good retention, fed by really mild but constant carbonation full of microscopic fizz.
S: sweet prunes, caramelised tangerine, a faint floral hint of hops are underlined by caramelised sugar from the sweet malts. Pretty pleasant but not quite complex.
T: a mildly spicy hint (of hops) follows the soothing swallow of semi-sweet maltiness, showing a touch of biscuits apparently from paler malts... the lightly orangey hop aroma develops along with more medium-level bitterness in the aftertaste, while the overall fruity touch and mild caramelised sugar also linger. Throughout the drink, a very mild sour touch typical of a lager serves to underline both the sweet-malty and bitter-hoppy sides very well.
M&D: the healthy carbonation sustains and supports an overall medium body and a well-balanced flavour - very quaffable in every sense. The malt characters are more in line with the English types of ales, while the lingering bitter taste is especially welcomed to add to the beer's overall drinkability.

* Tasting Date: 07/08/05

Got this beer at my local Sainsbury's recently at 95 pence a bottle. The best before date is Jan. 06.
3.5 A: in a medium-sized weissbier glass it pours an amber, or light-honeyish hue, coming with a reasonably foamy, off-white beer head fading out in about a minute... it is fiercely gassy at first, while from the second minute on it turns weaker but still too fizzy for me.
3.5 S: the nose is very softly fruity and malty, with light caramel and brown sugary note, apple-peel's aroma, against a soft backdrop of noble hops.
4 T: on the palate it's truly enjoyable--soft maltiness arrives along with a mild, fruity hoppy flavour, as a slightly spicy and herbal, medium-bitterness gradually prevails. Delicate fruity flavour of malts and hops sustains well, though the bitter finish is reasonably clean rather than lingering.
3.5 M&4 D: Well-balanced lager with a soft malty mouthfeel throughout, though it could gain more assertive flavours from larger quantities of dark malts perhaps? Anyway, it's a refreshing lager and a solid brew by all means!

wl0307, Oct 03, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Bottle marked "Best by 12/08"

Clear dark gold with a frothy off-white head and minimal lace.

Scent is bread and grapefruit hops.

Taste is subtle biscuity malt flavor with a nice grapefuit hop bitterness to follow. Possibly a hint of pine as well. Crisp and nicely balanced.

Mouth is medium.

Very good drinkability.

I've enjoyed this beer for years but only thought to review it recently. Always a pleasant and easy to drink lager.

sethmeister, Oct 03, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +17.1%

This is my fall back beer. I like to experiment a lot, but if I ever just want something I know will go down right, I turn to Boston Lager. I wouldn't call it my favorite, and I do get tired of it sometimes, but I'm never disappointed by it. And it's one of the best beers to have with dinner.

The beer looks great. It has great head and good lacing. A nice amber color. It looks like a classic lager.

It smells really good. Definitely one of the hoppiest widely distributed beers I've tried. Jim Koch isn't kidding, it smells like flowers.

The first time I tried this, probably around 17 years old, I couldn't stand the bitterness. Now that I'm older and I know what beer's supposed to taste like, I love it. It's just the right balance of smoothness and bite.

All in all, this is a great beer. Truly an American classic. I hope they don't change a thing about it in my life time.

tweek87, Oct 02, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is readily available both on tap and bottle. Reasonably priced as well.

This beer pours a clear straw yellow with medium head. Nose is rather hoppy with some grain behind it.

Taste is not very ballanced. Plenty of hops in these hop shortage times. But I don't taste anything to back it up. NOt much grain, yeast or malt behind it. This beer has a little carbonated bite. Best served cold from a tap when I can't find a decent alternative.

daledeee, Sep 30, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Like many, this beer was my first into the craft beer world and I still love drinking it to this day. The caramel undertones in the taste and the overall appearance and drinkability make this one a big winner for me. Available anywhere at usually about $1 a beer... it's even at almost any bar you'll come across in the US.. not a bad thing at all.

oriolesfan4, Sep 30, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: Amber, good head.

Smell: Herbal, a little bread.

Taste: Toasted bread, a little sweetness, herbal/earthy finish.

Drinkability: A decent choice when you want something more than BMC but the bar doesn't get too adventurous.

Review #300 is from the Sam Adams brewmasters 12 pack. Boston Lager is a well-made beer that is a decent stepping stone up from the macros. Not my favorite style or flavor profile, but I'll have it from time to time.

Mdog, Sep 28, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into a 12 oz glass, nice head with average staying power. Color a nice gold-copper-amber but lacks the metallic looking edge that some beers have being more like a burnished wood than a polished metal. The smell is of citrusy hops and light to medium malt notes that come through on the flavor with grapefruit notes and a quickly fading malt taste with dry citrusy finish. I've always liked this brew with seafood. Cheers.

saradad, Sep 26, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -11.8%

This may well be a good session beer, if only because it does not impress. It is just there with its 4.5% rating. It may well have just enough flavor to make a good night's drinking beer.
A- A great head, that dissapates quickly.

S - Nothing going here. I admit my untrained nose can not pick up the subtleties. Its just OK.

T- OK. It is OK for what it is. A good mid-quality- session beer, that has just enough taste to drink for the night.

M- feels OK in the mouth, I suppose.

D- Ahh, here is where the rubber meets the road. This beer has some lace. It has some taste. It has a name (at least in America), with Sam Adams. It has JUST enough taste to make it a very GOOD session beer.

stevecee2003, Sep 25, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Two fingers of off-white foam from a standard pour... Highly translucent golden copper color with an orange hue... Only the slightest bit of carbonation is visible... Slight lacing on glass...

S - Very subtle malt scents... Buttery toffee... Perhaps a hint of pecans...

T - Subtle blend of hops... Nougat... Sweet biscuit... Ever so slight bitter hops comeback at the finish... Nice gentle complexity to this brew...

M - Creamy and smooth... Very well balanced... Slightly dry @ finish...

D - Textbook session beer... Highly drinkable and highly enjoyable... Relaxing brew with a ton of character...

Bottle / Artwork - Vintage Samuel Adams label that we've come to know and love... Blue with silver outline...

philbe311, Sep 24, 2008
Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)