Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a clear amber color with about 3/4 inch of light beige head.

The scent is of some doughy hopps and some spice.

The taste consists of roasty, bitter hopps, some light wheat, as well as some spice.

Light-bodied, crisp, very smooth feel, with good carbonation.

This is a very easy to drink beer. What I think is one of the better lagers out there.

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

A= solid brown amber color with a small head that dissipates quickly
S= floral hops, little malt, and some buttery bread
T= you can taste the buttery bread right away and it stands predominant, then I noticed a nice mix of the hops and the malts
M= medium body with a medium carbonation. great feel
D= high, this is a great American lager, I really enjoy this one as an everyday beer. great balance and taste

3.03/5  rDev -19%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours clear golden, with two fingers of off white head. Head fades gradually into a thin cap, leaving minimal traces of lacing.

S- Mild hops and bread dough/pizza crust. A bit of ambiguous spiciness detected initially, but faded/absent as the beer warms.

T- Crisp on the front, with a distinctly herbal slightly bitter/slightly astringent finish.

M- Medium carbonation. Slight tingle.

D- OK. The herbal coating is a bit beyond my preference, so I probably wouldn't prefer to have more than one or two.

Future outlook: Though I'm not wowed by this offering, as part of a solid Winter Classic mix pack, I'm sure that we'll meet again some sunny day....

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Crystal clear amber color, with a 2-finger white head that seemed to dissipate rather quickly. Leaves decent lacing on the glass, however I would have desired a head that lasts a little longer.

S - A nice balanced smell. Not too sweet, not too strong. Fruity and floral, very nice.

T - Slight malt at first taste, but the bitterness of the hops kicks in and lingers. It's a subtle spice that seems to melt in your mouth. Well-balanced sweet/bitter ratio. I personally would prefer a little more sweetness/fruitiness, though.

M - Crisp, smooth, but full of character and substance.

D - An easy drink. Goes in easy, goes down easy. And leaves you wanting another.

Sam Adams Boston Lager is my "Go-To" beer. It's always good, always reliable.

Reviewed by Wisemen Nick and Justin.

Appearance: Pours light copper with 1.5 finger head that is both fluffy and sticky. Good lacing.

Smell: Crisp clove and corainder. Good malty body with lots of herbal and spices aromas.

Taste: Solid malt backbone with herbal/earthy tones throughout. Alcohol is detected, but barely.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and chewy, with a medium-light body, and a somewhat high carbonation.

Drinkability: Easy and smooth. Best American lager we've come across.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Clear golden orange witha two finger white heat with OK retention and very nice lacing.

S: Earthy, German hop nots with some graininess.

T: Earthy hops, and some slight caramel flavor.

M: Light to medium body, crisp and clean finish.

D: Easy to drink. Nothing wrong yet nothing outstanding. I never mind having a SA Lager.

A go-to beer of course when the bar has nothing else but BMC. I'm amazed I have not reviewed this yet but here we go:

I poured a 12-oz bottle into a pint glass. A nice polished bronze color, almost white head rises fast and hangs around. Really this is a nice looking beer. Lacing ensues.

Aroma is really centered around a beautiful yet subtle hop nose, a nice malt profile is behind this. Good balance all at a low, not in-your-face level. Taste is sweet with some malts, caramel and a nice earthiness. Nice hop profile. It does have a little bit of a bitter hop finish that lingers well into the double digit second range.

Nice medium bodied, fulfilling beer. It's nice to take a step back and appreciate this beer on a sip by sip basis, since most of the time I drink it by the pint and grumble that the bar has nothing better to offer. Perspective is everything, but this beer will always have a place in my house.

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

I poured my Boston Lager into my SA pint glass. An attractive beer, clear gold with a hint of auburn. There us decent head formation with lots of lacing. The aroma is heavy with grain notes. Boston Lager is a slightly sweet smooth beer with a clean finish. Boston Lager is light bodied and very sessionable.

4.35/5  rDev +16.3%

Had on tap in a 23 oz. glass. Appears orange-copper in color with a once inch off-white head that sinks down to a skim and eventually to a ring. Leaves a bit of lace. Aroma is mildly sweet caramel malts with a nice toasty character that seems similar to an Oktoberfest with a bit more hops in the background that are spicy and earthy. Taste has an initial sweetness that fades into the finish, but it blends with some toasty and nutty flavors before doing so. It finishes with some spicy hops. Mouthfeel is medium-light, crisp and drinkable. Good stuff for the style, very drinkable. Always a solid choice when there is nothing else but macros, Guinness, and Bass around.

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

A:A nice clear amber color with a slightly off white head that has some staying power. The head lingers along the side of the glass leaving a little bit of lace behind.
S:At first there is a nice and mild hop aroma that pops into the nose. The hops might be of the noble varity, with a little bit of herbal coming through. Also some caramel is playing a little bit behind the hops.
T: At first there is a slightly sweet, malty flavor but it is quickly followed by the hops, who the beer seems balanced towards. It's not a hoppy beer by any means, but the flavor will be more dominate than the malt. There is a good deal of hop flavor in the middle which leads to a slight bit of bitterness in the finish.
MF: There is a medium mouthfeel with an average about of carbonation.
D: Overall, this is a great beer to sit back and drink. Luckly, this beer happens to be almost everywhere so if I'm in a bar with a poor beer choice then I can always at least hope they have this beer. It is very easy to drink. I love the amount of hops in it, not too much or too little.

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

If there was a Micro/Macro brew, brewery that once was a Micro that is now looking like a Macro brewery, this is the beer that I would choose to drink from a Macro Brewery.

This beer is great as far as the Big Boys go. Good Appearance, Taste, and Drinkablilty.

In fact, I am just enjoying one of them as I write. However, I purchased the Winter Classic Sampler and I am "saving" the good beer for later. "Saturday Night Live" and a Samuel Adams Boston Lager....what isn't there to love?!?!

Good all the way around. Appearance is like a beer should look. Smells like a beer, tastes like a beer, feels like a beer and drinks like a beer....therefore, it must be a beer.

(Sidenote....there is no such thing as a Macro beer so no macro beers are consumed in this house. That being said and since I am the only one that drinks beer in my house, I am the boss. There I said it, 5 women vs me. What do I know...I am told what to think, how to act, where to walk and how to talk....except when I am on Beer Advocate. Here I can be myself. With so many daughters and a wife, I need someplace to call my own. BA, you are what I have been looking for. I tried the 3rd bathroom and garage but they have been taken over too. This is just mine. Yes!!!)

Ok, now that I have that out of my system....Sam Adams you are good, especially with how you make your holiday porters and stouts. It is what I look forward to every winter. Thanks.

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

The color was a rich reddish copper with plenty of tan creamy head. I was impressed by the head retention because it was on tap. Most beers don't retain the head character like this one. Smells like hops and caramel malts. Wow.... the hops come through. I liked this lager - it has the flavor of an IPA but this is definitely a lager. This is a unique beer with complex aftertones and very drinkable.

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint glass. Pours a beautiful clear amber blond with a finger and a half head that dissipates to some nice lacing and foamy lumps.

Smells of caramel malt and soap. Hop aroma is slight but apparent. Taste is excellent. Malts come through immediately. The hops are noticeable but not overpowering. This beer is silky smooth and very nicely balanced.

Sticky mouthful, similar to an octoberfest, a bonus considering the style.

It's hard to find anything wrong with this beer. Great session beer that is always consistent. This beer is easy to find even in rural Indiana. I always come back to it.

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Poured with a nice off-white head, low-moderate retention. A pristine, clear light amber beer.

S-An earthy, fruity hop aroma. Hints of malt aromas in background, but not prominant.

T-A clear bitterness mingles with some roasty and nutty malt flavors. An overall well-balanced flavor. Some hearty hop aroma flavor.

M-Medium light body, with happy carbonation and a semi-crisp finish.

D-Good drinkability. It's a clean and relatively refreshing lager beer. Won't fatigue one's tastebuds, and I'll be drinking more of this beer in the future.

Ordered this at the Highland Tap in Atlanta while watching an unnamed team sadly prove a bunch of ESPN analysts in love with a certain player in a certain conference right. Not that I'm bitter about this...

Pours a brownish-copper color with a one-finger foamy white head. The head dissipates into a medium-sized ring around the glass with decent lacing.

Smells mostly of caramel malt with a decent amount of noble hop aroma.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sweet caramel malts ending in a good amount of mild hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is very good for the style - good thickness and carbonation make this go down smoothly.

Drinkability is very good. A very sessionable beer that I could easily have a few more of.

Overall this is a very easy-drinking beer and a good choice if you're in for the long haul, which is where I'll be Sept. 5 of 2009.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

A pretty fresh bottle that recommends consuming before March, 2009. I've had this beer many times, so it's about time to give it a proper review.

A- Poured from a 12oz bottle into a fancy Sam Adams pint glass, this beer pours a clear brownish-gold color with a one-finger, white head that gradually settles to a patchy layer, leaving some thick sheets of lacing behind after each sip.

S- A spicy and mildly citric hop aroma is balanced out by an equal amount of bready, caramely smelling malts.

T- The taste is also well-balanced, with the initial hop bite quickly being replaced by a bready, sweet malt backing. A dry finish leaves some bitterness on the palate.

M- This beer feels full-bodied in the mouth with a moderate amount of lively carbonation. Seems right for the style.

D- This is a great example of a session beer. The balanced flavor and low ABV make this a beer that I could easily have a few of in one sitting.

An all-around good beer.

2.2/5  rDev -41.2%

This is actually one of my least favorite Sam Adams brew. It pours a medium brown with a decent head but I just do not like the taste. It has a bitter aftertaste that just stays with you. I like Sam Adams, but this is one of my least favorites by them. I would drink their light before this.

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Sparkling clear. Loose, tan colored head with lots of lacing. Constant streamers of bubbles.

Smells of spicy noble hops and pilsner malts, enough there for most hops aficionados; and a grassy/malty smell, typical of pilsner (and munich/vienna malts). No sulfur or DMS, quite surprising!

Taste is much the same. Malty/grainy sweetness, backed up by a one-two punch of solid hops bittering and flavour. Finishes with a cloying sweetness, which is the only flaw I can detect and a minor one at that. Drinking it a bit colder would probably make it disappear (I had mine at ~12C)

Mouthfeel is medium, with a moderate carbonic zing.

Little too much sweetness in the finish/aftertaste hold back the drinkeability.

Still, if there's a better amber lager out there, I haven't found it yet.

3.23/5  rDev -13.6%

this beer has been my savior more times than I can count when surrounded by a sea of american light krap!

Pours well, has a gentle hop nose, and hints of caramel.

The taste is classic, you get the hops, and the crisp taste of a lager. It's not as golden as most american lagers it is a bit darker, and a lot better!

The mouthfeel and drinkability are good, there are tons of beers I would rather have, and perhaps just as many I would rank below this lager. Again, when in a sea of doo doo...here is your life preserver

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Light amber color. Head isn't much to speak about but the thin cap trails some nice lace. Smell of toasted malt and some light floral hops. Taste is pleasant enough. Nice maltyness with hops for balance. Overall a nice brew. I bought a case of this for some non beer enlightened guest who would never drink my normal beers. It fit the bill perfectly, not too bold for the BMC drinkers but enough flavor to satisy the craft beer drinker. Also a good fallback in many bars/restaurants that don't carry good beer.

4.7/5  rDev +25.7%

Boston Lager is probably the best example of the lager style. This has been my go to beer for years and it is the litmus test for good beer drinkers across the country. I know that people who love this beer will love many other great beers; while those who hate it will probably not like many other great beers.

I poured this one into a duvel glass to accent the hop aroma and it worked beautifully. I love the floral smells of this great beer. On tap it's even a little sweet tasting (with clean lines of course). The head is big and billowy then reduces quickly.

The smell is a wide array of hop aromas. These smells are some of the best I've ever gotten from a lager (how do they maintain the fruit aroma?).

Mouthfeel is a little light- but 10 years ago I would think it was thick. It makes for a great session beer.

I could honestly drink this beer all day (and have on several occasions). It reminds me of the past and times forgotten. I can remember being at USMA and drinking this delicious beer at the officer's club while watching the Red Sox on the corner TV. I can remember drinking this beer at Christmas with my Dad. I can remember giving this beer to so many friends in an effort to "convert" them to real beer. Oh how this beer is a tasty memory.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Pours as a light amber beer with a good finger width head that reduces down to a light lacing after settling.

S - Low malt with a high hop aroma tingling the senses.

T - Tastes pick up a good balance of high hop with a malty aftertaste and a slight citrus taste that lingers.

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Sorry, just getting around to actually reviewing...have about an inch of it left in my glass lol!

A-Really appealing golden amber with about an inch of cream colored head that stayed around for more than half of the glass then laced beautifully down the glass like an artful spiderweb.

S-Definitely a sweet floral smell with a certain twang to it. Hard to put a finger on what the twang is, but it's definitely a good thing!

T-Wow, I'm not a pro yet by far, but this is the first beer I've come across that hasn't made me make the beer face on contact (which is alot for me!). Perfect balance between sweet and bitter. Finished clean with a surprisingly pleasant aftertaste that didn't linger on for forever and a day.

M-Went down silky smooth. Not necessarily creamy, but definitely not watery at all. It just felt right.

D-I could definitely knock back a few easily. Great session beer in my honest opinion.

4.43/5  rDev +18.4%

One of my all time favorites, seems to never dissapoint. Poured from brown bottle into pint glass

Appearance: Beautiful amber in color, nice, thick finger long head, this head will give you a beer mustache! Beautiful lacing that seems to follow the head down the glass.

Smell: A great smelling beer, hints of floral hops escalade into a beautiful wheat/fruit aroma.

Taste: You can tell Samuel Adams hand selects it's hops because this beer has great characteristics. Slight maltiness gives away to it's fruit profile, finishing off with a hint of spice that seems to tickle the back of your throat.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, clean and refreshing. Mild carbonation, slight bitterness gives away to a good bite.

Drinkability: Easy to drink if you prefer this style, defintley a good choice at a bar to have something different then all these nasty Bud Light and Coors products. Perfect balancing from the appearance, taste and drinkability. Kudos to Jim Koch for making Boston Lager a true American beer we can be proud of!

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer is a great example of the sum of its parts being greater than the whole. Individually, none of its constituents are much more than moderately above average. It looked pretty good, it smelled pretty good, it tasted pretty good, and it felt pretty good going down. At the end of the glass however, I thought to myself "Damn, This is great beer!" I don't really understand it.

There's definately some fun complexity in the flavor. More hops than average I'd say. there's the grainy and the malty, but it's well balanced with the bitterness.

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)