Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Alström Bros

A-Pours smoothly and forms a 1/2-inch head that lingers a couple minutes. This lager has a nice shade of marigold, a beautiful color rendered more so by good lighting. Decent lacing, and light but steady stream of carbonation.
S-My first whiff caught a bouquet of fruit, pine and blossom, but that was it. Thereafter it was naught but hops and malt, and I hit a wall that numbed the olfactories. I couldn't place it, so I cheated and went down other reviews to see what it was. The closest thing I can think of is the chalk mentioned by Proteus93.
T-Lightly toasted barley, flowery hops, and a lightly bitter, clean aftertaste. In the back of the mouth I pick up caramel and light butterscotch. Very pleasant.
M-This stuff is delightful...smooth, creamy, carbonation is just right.
D-Boston Lager can stand on its own, or accompany a wide array of foods. This is one of my favorite accompaniments when I eat anywhere that has a limited beer selection. That's why I love this brewery...they're small enough to make excellent beer, and large enough to be found anywhere.

12oz brown bottle with pry-off cap. Freshness date found on the bottle.

Pours a copper/amber with a decent white head about one finger thick with some nice lacing, decent lace retention.

Smells of pine and citrus, floral hops, sweet caramel malts. Nice and balanced, and quite aromatic.

While tasting you'll initially get a sweet bite from the malts, crisp, carmalized malts, finished out by hops with taste of pine and citrus which complement each other in a good way; very balanced. In the aftertaste there is some mild bitterness from the hops, and the pine notes come through again.

A medium-bodied brew that feels somewhat oily on the palate, yet remains crisp. Easy to drink; would make a nice session beer.

Notes: In my opinion, Boston Beer Company is the best nationally advertised beer company. They're not my favorite brewery by any means, but I don't think you'll find a better brewery that distributes nation-wide on such a large scale.

I gave this guy 3.0 all the way across -- not on purpose! It's really not a bad beer, especially when you're in the mood for an American lager. Better than Pete's Wicked Ale, for sure.

A clear, almond color in the glass is quite inviting. A bitter and coriander nose draws you in closer, revealing a taste of bitter hops. Perhaps a bit one-dimensional, but it's a good dimension nevertheless. A smooth finish leaves you pretty satisfied. A great session beer.

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Honey gold pour, a fizzy and semi-creamy - if shortlived - head.

S: Mild hops, some straw-like malt scents, with a touch of a sweet nose. A little chalky. Sweet noses come out on immediate pour much more strongly.

T: A surprising, but pleasant, resiny hops taste. Malts sweeten it out in the body, a little honey-like... then a little buttery.

M: Quite crisp and refreshing, a nice 'dinner beer,' or something I would be quite satisfied with for watching a game, or lounging with friends, etc... good session beer, in less words. like a happy balance between some of the American macro breweries and the smaller scale craft brews.

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

I have had this beer a million times both on tap and in the bottle. But for some reason, ultra fresh batch, or whatever, the bottle I had the other day was absolutely delicious!!

This one was in the holiday pack I purchased the other day in my opinion they should stick with their brew master collections or seasonal when putting these packs together.

I would also like to say thank you to Sammy because this brew really started the revolution for me back in the early 90's!

A - Poured a nice copper color with a pristine white foamy head that quickly faded into a mid size cap.

S - Nice floral hops which are not too over powering with toasted malt character in the back of the nose.

T - Old reliable! Very faint on the hops though. I know they try to appeal to the masses so I can't fault it.

M - Not as robust as it used to be, although full enough to thoroughly enjoy.

D - Very drinkable. A low ABV makes for a great session brew for beginner explorers into the world of endless choices!

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a copperish color with a minimal but frothy head that is constantly carbonating. A somewhat earthy, very hoppy smell that leaves some sweet malt like smell evident. It is hoppy and drying when it first hits the tongue but not overbearing like an IPA might be, and it does finish with some spice and smoothness from that carbonation. A creamy, heavy type body that fills the mouth, this can be a session beer but a few can fill you up. In this case that's a good thing, because I am using that phrase not to slam this beer but slam other beers that it takes a 12-pack to maybe break the seal. My ratings are a little biased because this beer is like a must-have beginner beer and disproves the old joke that American beer is like screwing in a canoe - not very good and close to water.

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a clear golden/amber, good amount of head and some lacing.

Smell is mostly hops with a bit of malt.

Taste is very crisp, strong hop presence but is evened out from the malt. A very decent lager, one of the better commonly available lagers that populate beer stores, although not the first Sam Adams I'd reach for. This is typically the first resort of most restaurants that carry only BMC products, so I really appreciate this beer more than the score indicates.

4.42/5  rDev +18.2%

Like I said, I prefer the on-tap version of SA Boston Lager. Everything in my original review applies to the on-tap version.

The big difference between the bottle and the tap version are Taste and Mouthfeel.

Taste is bolder and richer. Mouthfeel is a lot smoother.

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

served ice cold...I'll have a burger while I wait.

OK, now that my tongue isn't numbed...the beer is a nice very clear amber color. The head has receded to a thin uneven nearly white cap by now, but decent lacing has been left behind.
The aroma is better than decent, exhibiting a lot of sweet malt nicely. Hop aromas are more muted than I recall but still has a nice spiciness. Not bad.

As usual, I find the sweet malt to be almost overwhelming. Ah, there's the nice bitter kick in the finish. Again almost spicy. Without the strength of the hop profile I'd finish no more than half a glass of this.

Feels a bit thin across the palate and goes down easy, but it fills me up fast. Carbonation seemed pretty fine and appropriate as I drank it, but I sure feel full now.

I left an ounce or so of this in my glass, and now that I think about it that isn't unusual for this beer. I like it well enough - I just tire of it. I guess it's drinkable at first, but not for long, whatever that means.
A nice fallback when there is little else to choose from. I'll have it again, but it's down my list of preferred beers and I can't remember the last time I bought a bottle.

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

S - 12 oz bottle, may notch. 2008. first review though definitely not the first time drunk.

A - Pours a lightly hued copper with an off white head that sticks rather nicely.

S - very nice malt character and the hop is well spoken for. somewhat of a metallic note. clean to the point.

T - slight maltiness, hop is very nice, not too much bitter in there mostly in the corner of aroma and flavor. classic

M - crisp, clean, somewhat lingering. very nice

D - This is my beer of choice in dives if they have it. I will drink it all night long.

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%

how many times have i consumed this beer? a googleplex times (just read extremely loud and incredibly close). so isn't it time i rate it? i mean, why not?

nice looking head dies hard and leaves much behind as proof of past opulence. the color is a bright, light amber

some toasty notes of vienna malt come to the nose, as do some spicy, tea-like hops. it is pungent though lacking the delicacy of some german vienna lagers

full-bodied and malty, though not with the kind of cleanliness i might look for. it is certainly flavorful (which i hesitate to criticize), though a bit chunky. quite a bit of hop flavor

i am not a huge sam adams fan, but i must say that this is quite a good beer considering its role in the US market

3.38/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottle sent to me by whitaker. Thanks a lot.

Appearance: Pours a golden amber colour with a thick creamy, slightly off white head. Leaves plenty of lace. Retains to half an inch.

Aroma: Rich caramel malts, sweet, floral hops, toasty & biscuity.

Taste: Plenty of caramel malt here, a touch of sulphur to remind me it's a lager and not an amber ale. Little grainy and sweet in the finish. Hops are a little spicy and provide a moderate bitterness. A surprising touch of diacetyl in there as well.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, plenty of body, balanced.

Final statement: What can I say, it's a legendary beer, and a beer all beer geeks should have at least once.

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

A- Poured to a two fingered head, that left some nice lacing. Left rings with every swallow.
Kind of a dark gold in color, and slightly off white head.
S-Smelled slightly sweet of caramel and some nice smelling hops.
T- Taste comes on strong after a couple of pulls. Just had a GOOD TASTE. Slightly sweet with maybe a hint of citrus. A hair bitter after taste, and this wasnt a bad thing. Had a slight dark beer taste.
M- Mouthfeel was good. Not to much carbonation.
D- I have got to buy a twelver of these, and try an all nighter. Looking forward to it. There was some effort to make this beer.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

Orange-amber draft pour into an oversized pislner glass(unfortunately frozen)with an attractive off white head that had decent retention.

Aroma is fresh and malt accented with some caramel, roast, and noble hops.

The freshness is evident as I've had this countless times and it's not usually as flavorful. A nece caramel and roasty sweetness upfront with moderate Noble hops in the finish.

Body is somewhat thin, though the crisp mouthfeel and quaffable texture make up for it. Not the best, but certainly a better option than your standard BMC stuff.

4.11/5  rDev +9.9%

Just because I feel I should, I'm reviewing this one. More gallons of this have passed my lips then I can remember. When CostCo sells 28 packs for under $20 with coupon, you really feel bad when 27 of them are gone, & you can't honestly remember what one tastes like.

The beer pours out about as amber as Jurassic Park. A swampy two inch head of foam bumbles over itself as I drip out the remnants of the bottle. The suds quickly subside & I take a whiff. Slightly charred English muffins, spare change, & some mild pepper, the breakfast of champions. :P

Just like nibbling on some crusty buttered bread. The hop presence works perfectly to cut off the residual sweetness & leave a refreshing mouthfeel. Almost like a cold glass touching your tongue. the finish is just remnants of simple toasted crust & half a lick of copper.

The carbonation works hard, but doesn't singe or sting. A little slippery, & quite free-flowing. A little "too" light for my liking. Though that might be partially my fault. :P

A small group of us when through 27 of these over New Years, with me being no slouch. I never smelt any alcohol, but some fumes did reach me, especially right as the bottle is first opened. besides that, I can't think of much any fault. With the age of big beers upon us, this beer hasn't faltered at all. :)

3.71/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a brass color with a rocky, fizzy white head that rises to only 1/4". What the head lacks in size it makes up for in retention. Wet lacing drips down the sides of the glass.
Earthy and floral aroma.
Sweet biscuit malts and some saltine cracker makes up the backbone. What I like about the beer is the earthy hop flavors and the spiciness. Slight acidic finish and aftertaste.
Light bodied makes this an easy to drink session beer. Active carbonation.
IMO this beer is perfect for what it is. An easy to drink session beer, a great fallback beer, and a good gateway beer for my BMC buddies.

2.53/5  rDev -32.4%

I am by no means a beer expert but I dont see what all the hype about this beer is. I have tried it several times and I must have different taste buds than most people because this beer does not appeal to me.

A- Looks good, darker than average.

S- smells kind of funky to me.

T- I am not impressed with the taste. It must be the hops in it but I dont like it. It is rich tasting but not my style.

M- mouthfeel is normal.

D- I can drink a couple of these the only time I get it is when the only other choice is bud.

4.01/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured into one of my free glasses from the Founding Subscriber offer it's a crystal clear copper color with lots of bubbles rising to the top. Billowing and creamy off-white head builds on top and retention and stick are both excellent. Looks particularly good in it's own glass.

Smells of lightly toasted grain, some caramel malt, and floral hops.

Taste has those same three components of toasted and caramel malt, which together form a very nice sweet and toasty flavor, along with some floral hops that give just a splash of bitterness toward the end.

Mouthfeel is a creamy medium-body, with a perfect level of carbonation. This is an extremely drinkable brew, a fantastic session beer.

This is my go-to beer when I'm at a restaurant that doesn't have much of a beer selection. Thank God BBC has been so successful with this beer so that there's almost always something good to drink at any bar or restaurant.

3.86/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Part 5 of my journey through the sam adams winter variety pack. 12 oz brown longneck bottle with raised glass signature above the label. Poured into a pseudo-pilsner glass that i found in my parents wine cabinet.

Pours a very rich looking light amber/gold color with a healthy fingers worth of cream white head that retains well and leaves tons of lacing all the way down the glass. It gets all rocky, too--my favorite. Man this beer looks good.

Smell is lightly sweet from the malt and hops, not very overpowering. Taste is similar, very lightly sweet with a nice level of bitterness. Dry, light, crisp. Carbonation is moderate and keeps the light body from tasting watery. Can't really find anything wrong with this one, a great beer for pretty much anytime of the year, light, crisp, sessionable. Not my favorite, but very solid.

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

A- Pours a nice gold color with bright yellow hues. It is totally transparent. Head is 3 fingers of HUGE white head after and agressive pour. There is some lacing left all the way down the glass. Very nice.

S- Smells of wheat, grass, and some light hoppy scents.

T- Tastes follow very, very closely to the nose with the same wheat, grass, and mellow hops. I can also taste an almost honey-like malt in there.

M- Carbonation is mid to high and the mouthfeel is thin.

D- Very good aspect. This would make a great session beer.

Overall- This is a little above average and more than what I expected. This would be the perfect gateway beer for BMC drinkers and would also be a perfect session beer for tailgating or partying.

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance: Golden amber body, rocky off-white head with excellent retention.

Smell: Floral hops and light toasted malt.

Taste: Soft malt character with a medium sweetness, mild hop bitterness. Oily floral hop presence is low but noticeable and comes more into the fore in the finish, where the malt falls away.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body, moderate carbonation, creamy texture. Hint of alcohol warmth.

Drinkability: Excellent balance, pleasant taste, good mouthfeel. What's not to like? Uncomplicated and approachable without being bland.

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Oh boy, this is the one that got it all started for me. I remember before my first sixer of this I thought Miller Lite had flavor. Getting started, i could only drink a couple of these at a time. I soon got accustomed to the rich flavor that was left on your lips after every delicious drink. This is a bold, flavorful beer with a rich malty flavor and good strong hops. I have tried many brands and types since, but this will probably always be my go to beer.

2.83/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured a very pale coppery gold with a half-inch head. Aroma is very subtle, a thin whiff of grains. Taste is a bitter bite of ill-defined hops, followed by a muddled crash of mouth puckering discord.

I've tried to like this one for years. I still don't. Sorry.

3.92/5  rDev +4.8%

Have had this often over the years and am finally getting around to reviewing it.

A: Copper color with 1/2 finger of white head. Limited lacing but it is there.

S: Hops hit you at first. Then some citrus notes as well.

T: Hops then some sweet malt. Finally finishing hops. They always make a point of how much hops is in their beer. The tastes blend into each other well.

M: Light body but not thin.

D: remember when this first really blew up and it was prized still. Great session beer when you are drinking with "normies"

3.48/5  rDev -7%

Good appearance, nice amber color. big taste of hops that lingers after the drink.

Smell is also of big hops, but a crisp refreshing smell.

mouthfeel was not to thin, but not thick either.

overall a great beer and something thats nice for a mainstay.

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)