Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 8,024 | Reviews: 2,553
4.4/5  rDev +17.6%

This is my fall back beer. I like to experiment a lot, but if I ever just want something I know will go down right, I turn to Boston Lager. I wouldn't call it my favorite, and I do get tired of it sometimes, but I'm never disappointed by it. And it's one of the best beers to have with dinner.

The beer looks great. It has great head and good lacing. A nice amber color. It looks like a classic lager.

It smells really good. Definitely one of the hoppiest widely distributed beers I've tried. Jim Koch isn't kidding, it smells like flowers.

The first time I tried this, probably around 17 years old, I couldn't stand the bitterness. Now that I'm older and I know what beer's supposed to taste like, I love it. It's just the right balance of smoothness and bite.

All in all, this is a great beer. Truly an American classic. I hope they don't change a thing about it in my life time.

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is readily available both on tap and bottle. Reasonably priced as well.

This beer pours a clear straw yellow with medium head. Nose is rather hoppy with some grain behind it.

Taste is not very ballanced. Plenty of hops in these hop shortage times. But I don't taste anything to back it up. NOt much grain, yeast or malt behind it. This beer has a little carbonated bite. Best served cold from a tap when I can't find a decent alternative.

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Like many, this beer was my first into the craft beer world and I still love drinking it to this day. The caramel undertones in the taste and the overall appearance and drinkability make this one a big winner for me. Available anywhere at usually about $1 a beer... it's even at almost any bar you'll come across in the US.. not a bad thing at all.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: Amber, good head.

Smell: Herbal, a little bread.

Taste: Toasted bread, a little sweetness, herbal/earthy finish.

Drinkability: A decent choice when you want something more than BMC but the bar doesn't get too adventurous.

Review #300 is from the Sam Adams brewmasters 12 pack. Boston Lager is a well-made beer that is a decent stepping stone up from the macros. Not my favorite style or flavor profile, but I'll have it from time to time.

3.86/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a 12 oz glass, nice head with average staying power. Color a nice gold-copper-amber but lacks the metallic looking edge that some beers have being more like a burnished wood than a polished metal. The smell is of citrusy hops and light to medium malt notes that come through on the flavor with grapefruit notes and a quickly fading malt taste with dry citrusy finish. I've always liked this brew with seafood. Cheers.

3.24/5  rDev -13.4%

This may well be a good session beer, if only because it does not impress. It is just there with its 4.5% rating. It may well have just enough flavor to make a good night's drinking beer.
A- A great head, that dissapates quickly.

S - Nothing going here. I admit my untrained nose can not pick up the subtleties. Its just OK.

T- OK. It is OK for what it is. A good mid-quality- session beer, that has just enough taste to drink for the night.

M- feels OK in the mouth, I suppose.

D- Ahh, here is where the rubber meets the road. This beer has some lace. It has some taste. It has a name (at least in America), with Sam Adams. It has JUST enough taste to make it a very GOOD session beer.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Two fingers of off-white foam from a standard pour... Highly translucent golden copper color with an orange hue... Only the slightest bit of carbonation is visible... Slight lacing on glass...

S - Very subtle malt scents... Buttery toffee... Perhaps a hint of pecans...

T - Subtle blend of hops... Nougat... Sweet biscuit... Ever so slight bitter hops comeback at the finish... Nice gentle complexity to this brew...

M - Creamy and smooth... Very well balanced... Slightly dry @ finish...

D - Textbook session beer... Highly drinkable and highly enjoyable... Relaxing brew with a ton of character...

Bottle / Artwork - Vintage Samuel Adams label that we've come to know and love... Blue with silver outline...

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

This is pretty good.

Light amber, it has a dense, off-white head that steadily shrinks to a wispy, lasting top. The aroma is malty, grain with yeasty bread and a hint of cypress.

The taste ios light toffee with grain, a light pine bitterness that builds toward the end. The finish is pine, grain, and cracker. It's crisp yet fairly tasty, smooth and easy to drink, but doesn't have that much too it.

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This lager poured a light caramel-amber color with a 1/2" fluffy white head. The head dropped to a skim and left decent lacing down the glass.

S= I found aromas of sweet bakery malts and a surprising amount of fragrant piney hops.

T= An immediate short burst of malty sweetness was followed quickly by a spicy hop profile. I was pleased with the hop bitterness, which far exceeded most lagers you will find on the market. The finish was relatively dry yet never lost its balance.

MF= Light to medium bodied with a solid carbonation level.

D= Very drinkable beer and highjly sessionable. I don't know why others don't hop up their lagers as this one has everything they do not. Well balanced and well crafted.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a copper brown with about a 1/4 inch head. The beer smells of sweet malts and hops. The taste is a good balance of hops and malts sweet initially followed by the bitterness of the hops. The mouth feel is surprisingly balanced good combination of hop bitterness and malt. This is a very drinkable beer. Defiantly one I could have more than one of. I have found that the flavor of the beer is better as it warms. This is a good fall back beer that can be found almost anywhere in the Northeast.

3.89/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a bottle, into a pint glass. A nice reddish golden color. A little head, about a finger, and it didn't stick around too long.

Smelled of hops mostly, some malt and a little spicy.

Taste is great. Its been a long time since I've had this beer, and forgot how good it is! A lot of hops, but not a punch in the face. Even maltyness. A great balanced beer. Why don't I drink this more? It's not a blow your socks off beer, but it is just really good!

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Love the color - gold with sparkles of amber. Maybe a finger of head with a good pour.

S - A mixture of hops and malt - much stronger than a typical lager.

T - Excellent combination of bite and flavor - you can taste the hops and the malt, yet neither is overpowering.

M - Fuller than a typical lager, but not heavy.

D - Very drinkable.

This is - IMO - the best commercial American Lager available. When I first had it years ago I was much less experienced with beers, and couldn't stand it, because all I had been drinking was American Lagers. Since then, I've been able to expand my palate significantly, and have come to appreciate this for what it is - a strong, full-bodied lager that does a great job of balancing the hops and the malt. My favorite and old-reliable if I'm in a bar or restaurant where no craft or imports can be found.

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Clear gold in color with light amber hues. Little to no head to speak of.

S - Bitter hops with a light bread ending.

T - A clean malt backbone with a mild hop bite on the end. Better than expected.

M - Light bodied and a tad watery.

D - Moderate. Not bad in a bar full of Bud Light.

3.92/5  rDev +4.8%

a - nice amber color with a perfectly formed beige head of soft, sudsy delight

s - a rather fragrant hop-filled essence with a hint of malt and toffee

t - nice balance of malted hops with a terrificly smooth finish

m - medium bodied and medium carbonization, well suited to the taste

d - one after another is easy

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

A solid beer that is widely available.. one of those beers you can count on being able to have when there is not much of a selection otherwise. It is golden with a crisp hoppy aroma and taste... as they advertise it is much hoppier than the beers next to it at the tap.

Refreshing and drinkable throughout an evening.

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

late 09, early 10, boston lager seems like a very different beer to me. it's comparatively awesome. i could swear it's changed dramatically: lighter in color, the roastiness is about gone, comes across now more like a delicious pale ale/vienna lager hybrid. for a sub 5% beer i'm finding it unmatched (wish it were closer to 4%), and buying it by the 12-pack. what's going on??

In my quest for a standby summer lager, I turned once again to this one by Sam Adams. When I was into trying different beers a few years back, I wasn't too impressed and found it difficult to drink.
Unfortunately, I still can't seem to enjoy it.
The appearance is nice enough. The beer is similar in color to the bottle it came in. A head forms and leaves quickly.
The smell is fairly roasty, and it gives you the idea it's gonna be a bit bitter but without anything floral going on.
The roasted taste is okay at first, but for me becomes too astringent and watered-down coffee like. The hops are vague, the body too thin to match the roasted qualities.
In sum, boring hops and irritating malt.

a 3; s 3; t 2; m 3; d 2.5

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Amber with a head that doesn't stay too long, but is there

Aroma: The hops were apparent in my pour.

Taste: Malty with some hop bitterness that balances it out on the way down. Pretty smooth overall

Mouthfeel: Good smoothness in this one

Drinkability: Pretty good for this, its pretty common at bars and can be a frequent purchase. Its easy to drink. Good complex flavors overall. Well balanced.

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%

Appereance: Amber color with a small white foamy head.

Smell: Ah, nice... american hops; citrus, pine-needle... slightly of malt.

Taste: Pretty malty, caramel, american hops, pine-needle, citrus, grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Better than average... pretty filling for a lager beer.

Drinkability: This is a beer you can have a few without lacking in judgement... good session beer a day at the pub.

I've had bad examples of this beer at the local pubs here in my small town in Karlstad. It seems to be a standard beer at the pubs which is not a real "beer pub", but still more sophisticated then the worst ones. This time the beer tasted good... and thanks to the beer gods for that!

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

A - faint amber with a small head
S - sweet, toasty malts with a little kick of hops
T - very malty followed by a kick of hops and mild bitterness, and a burnt malt aftertaste. Very well balanced.
MF - a bit thin and watery
D - this goes down pretty easily and quickly. Not a bad option for having several in a night.

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

Bomber refresher...

Clear amber orange IPA-esque. Frothy head. Good looking beersky.

Sweet malt scent.

Sweet malt taste. Bready. Actually has a little bitterness at the end. Puny but nice.

I remember my first Sam Adams. Working graveyard shift at an (in)convenience store, I would grab a sixer at random to relax with before passing out for the day. Brought home some Sammies. Thought they were the most god awful swill imaginable. Couldn't even drink a whole bottle. What a pathetic wuss I was. Fast forward 15 years and I think Sam Adams taste like sweet candy. Could drink 'em all day. And night.

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

A. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chilled pint glass. A nice head forms above the copper body, nice lacing.

S. Bready malt, floral and citric hops.

T. A nice malt body is balanced nicely by the hops. I know they are german hops, but they taste almost like the west coast hops made famous by some IPAs. A slightly hoppy red is more like the taste of this beer, I wish all vienna lagers were this good.

M. Medium bodied. Crisp. Dries the mouth a bit, leaves me wanting more.

D. This is a fairly drinkable beer, and much better served and consumed cold. When it warmed up a bit I didn't enjoy it as much.

4.15/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Funny, Sam Adams Boston Lager has almost become commonplace so I rarely enjoy a pint. This beer is one that I think it totally different on draft vs. poured from the bottle. (please NEVER drink one from the bottle)

Enjoyed 2 of these on draft tonight and realized it was time to note my thoughts and write a review.

Beer came with a thin one finger head that was foamy and white. The head quickly receded back into the glass. The color of the beer was copper or bright amber with lots of orange highlights. No visible carbonation and very clear.

Aroma was floral or perfume like. Some citrus notes but fairly clean/ fresh aroma. Also got a sense of grain/ malt in the aroma.

I was pleased that the taste was as pleasing as I remembered. Excellent balance Slightly spicy like white pepper. Starts with a little burst of hop bitterness and this gives way to a nice bread like finish with just a touch more hop assertiveness towards the end. This really is the beer that gave me an appreciation for the bread/mal flavors that can occur in quality beer.

Mouth feel was light to medium/light and the tingle of carbonation on tongue

Very drinkable beer and one I consider a session beer on draft.

A Really good beer on Draft!

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

A. Poured an amber/gold color and gave a thick white head.

S. Malt, hops and a citrus aroma that leaned towards grapefruit.

T. Strong hops and malt with a hint of wheat bread.

M. Gave good carbonation with a pleasant syrupyness and a strong hops and malt aftertaste.

D. A beer that uses subtle flavors, nothing too complex. I prefer Sam Adams Summer Ale, but enjoyed this enough to get it again. A good beer to play video games with if you like.

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Pours a clear copper with a decent white head that lasts a while. Some small traces of lacing are left on the glass.

S - Lots of floral hop aromas accompanied by sweet caramel and a hint of apple (caramel apple?).

T - Hops dominate up front, giving way to caramel sweetness from the malts in the finish. This is a very well-balanced lager and one of the best-hopped in its class.

M - Medium-bodied, good carbonation. The hops bite ever so subtley, but it's still very smooth.

D - This is the mother of all session beers. Always a good decision!

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%

Dark golden transparent colored beer with a good, sticky white head. Aroma of grains, barley, faint hop bed underneath the malt, subtle sweetness also in the nose. Taste of barley, hops, greens, a nice sweet note that hits toward the finish and lingers refreshingly. This is steps above the yellow fizz that's around. All in all, smooth beer and light bodied, a fine beer of choice to reach for.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)