1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Alström Bros

Caleb, Jul 02, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Sam Adams Boston Lager has been my old standby for a long time now, from several years before I was legally allowed to drink (please don't tell the cops.) That said, I'd only ever had it in a bottle since I couldn't just walk into a bar or restaurant and order it on tap. However, that changed when I had my 21st and had this beer as well as Sam Adams Summer Ale on tap. This will be my Boston Lager review.

Served in a chilled pint glass and brought from the bar, this poured an even finger to finger-and-a-half of pale off-white head with some light carbonation and decent foam and lacing. The color was what I expected of a Boston Lager, a deep reddish-amber.

The smell was the standard Boston Lager; pleasant floral hops cutting through the beery malt and grain with some real lager sweetness coming through. The taste was fine, the hops were bitter, floral and piney, and they helped cut the malty sweetness quite well, and the taste after the swallow was sweet and bready, with a little bit of yeast and lingering floral notes.

Mouthfeel strikes a nice balance. The beer itself is a bit heavy for a lager, but there's a crisp, refreshing lager lightness that goes well with a warm summer day.

Boston Lager is a nice rounded beer that goes well with a lot of food pairings or with drinking it solo, and it can be enjoyed just as well on a hot day or a cold winter night. Boston Lager is close to my heart; it's the first beer that really made me appreciate what beer can be. Certainly there are other better beers, but as far as large scale brewing goes, this is definitely a keeper.

Caj1, Jul 02, 2013

Agnazub, Jun 30, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

BeenTired, Jun 30, 2013
3.49/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours perfectly into a Sam Adams glass. The foamy head just breaches the top of the glass. The beer is a clear amber with visible carbonation and maintains a thin head that leaves nice layers of lacing on the glass. I've had dozens (hundreds?) of these and this is the first time I've truly appreciated the appearance.

S - More aromatic than I remember, but mostly sweet malts. I'm not a huge fan of the smell, but I appreciate the fact that there is one.

T - Classic Boston Lager. Lots of sweetness up front with something of a lingering bitterness that hangs on with a residual aftertaste.

M - A little thin, but it's got some substance. After being exposed to "cleaner" beers, I'm not really a huge fan of a slight syrupiness that I pick up on the finish.

O - This is the one that started it all for me. My first breakaway from AAL's. I owe quite a lot to this one, and even though I can safely say that it's no longer one of my favorites, it's still something that I can enjoy when I'm feeling nostalgic.

Andrew041180, Jun 30, 2013

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Weas, Jun 27, 2013

pascilla, Jun 26, 2013

rojapa, Jun 26, 2013
Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)