Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Boston Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,509 | Hads: 8,273
3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a light copper to dark golden color, big foamy 2 fingernail length head.
Slight bready aroma, grain and floral esters. Some fruit(green apple) as the drink warms.
Very clean, crisp, smooth and slightly creamy feel. Light bodied to low medium bodied. Toasted malt taste provides sweetness. Well hopped which provides balance. Dry and slightly floral and hoppy finish.
A solid lager and an American Classic. (411 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into pilsner glass. This is my first Boston Lager in a very long time, couldn't believe I've made it this long without having one. Seems like it should be a rite of passage.

Pours golden amber, shines in the light. Two fingers of creamy, off white head, great retention, and quite a bit of lacing. Lots of carbonation, bubbles stay active for some time. Aroma is sweet, some bread, and a tiny bite.

Taste is clean, smooth, malty sweet. Some hops detected on the finish, but not much. Very, very smooth and highly sessionable. Lots of flavor to enjoy here. (577 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sam Adams Boston lager is one of my go to brews
Look: darker gold/orangish, not to much head and min. lacing
Smell: peppery orange
Taste: seems like a lot going on but pretty well balanced, citrus upfront
Mouthfeel: complex seltzer
Overall: this brew is a usual for me, would recommend everyone to try, one of the best lagers (327 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden amber and smells sweet, floral and malty. Sweet malts up front, caramel notes and maybe some pine towards the end. Body and carbonation is medium. Not an outstanding beer but I can always count on it as a good option in an average bar. (250 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +2.6%

Have had this in bottle and on tap on numerous 0ccasions over the years. A safe choice when other offerings aren't available. Always solid and consistent. (154 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Way overrated. This is not a good beer / lager. Whether from the tap or bottle, it always has a hint of vinegar (smell and taste). Not worth the "premium" charge. (162 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -50%

Pioneer of craft. Definately surpassed in that field! But thanks for getting the taste of crack and hooker spit out of my mouth at 9 am that one wednesday. You totally saved my job and marriage. (194 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From time to time I love to revisit classics like this one. I still recall my first Sam Adams. It was 1993 and I was all of 14 years old, thinking I was cool to snag such a refined beer for my house party (sorry Mom!). That first one ended up as a drain pour. I was so shocked and appalled at the (gasp) flavor that the beer imparted that it just confounded me. Mind you, this was over half a lifetime ago, and I was still under the impression that fire-brewed Strohs and MillerLite cans were the pinnacle of brewing. I'd like to believe that despite the drain pour, that beer planted the seed in my mind that has grown in to my obsession for craft beer. Well enough nostalgia. Here we go...

The beer pours a bright tangerine color with lively carbonation that sends bubbles streaming to the surface. This one could grace a beer commercial. Perfect, thick white head that falls gradually with lacing all the way to the rim. Impressive. Fruity esters and a buttery malt aroma in the nose. A little bit of citrus and spice from the hops. The flavor is malty, complex and delicious. I think we beer advocates forget just how good this beer truly is. There's just a touch of caramel sweetness, with cereal grain and a well-balanced bitterness in the finish. Hints of orange peel spice and some toffee on the tongue. The body is remarkably fuller than one might expect. I attribute this to a little sleight of hand with the aggressive carbonation. The prickly suds convey a creamy mouthfeel and feign fullness with masterful precision. Nice clean finish that begs for another gulp. At under 5% ABV, this is a powerhouse of flavor and texture. I cannot think of a single small lager that packs as much moxie as the flagship beer from Boston. Still world class in today's glut of aspiring craft kings. (1,795 characters)

Don't like everything Sam Adams puts out but there flagship is defiantly done right. You have to think about what style you are drinking.This beer is perfect the way it is. (172 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Boston lager from Sam Adams is a great example of how all good beers don't need to be micro-brews with small name labels. Sam Adams really does put some great care into their brewing and definitely stands out to me and continues to even after trying beers such as Heady Topper and other micro brews with very high ratings. Thats not to say that Boston Lager is better than these beers but it definitely holds it's own and remains relevant in today's increasingly diverse micro and macro-brew beer market. (506 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear and golden, with a nice white head and heavy lacing. Pretty.

S - Grains, with a hint of honey, and a bit of floral elements. Grass and a slight note of asphalt.

T - Cracker malts, among the clearest, strongest saltine taste I've had in a beer. A gradual hit of earthy hops, grassy and floral, but fairly pedestrian. The close is slightly bitter, but subdued.

M - Crisp, clean, with minimal drying in the close.

O - I respect Boston Lager for its craft and its place, but this is not my go-to brew. Clean and crisp, easily drinkable, it is light-years ahead of the boring AALs that dominate the industry. Nevertheless, though I think this is an expertly crafted brew, I find its elements and the overall drinking experience somewhat lackluster. And for the style, there are examples elsewhere that I find more compelling. (841 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear amber, left a one inch white head with decent retention, leaves some lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell is mute, faint barley is all I'm getting.

Strong barley flavor with a hint of caramel dancing in the background, which meld with grapefruit bitters for the finish. Hops are slightly too strong I feel, but an enjoyable entry by Sam Adams.

Medium bodied, medium low carbonation. (401 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

To sum it up: In my honest opinion, it is everything a beer should be. Refreshing, delicious, and timeless. The gold standard of all easy-drinking beer. (152 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look:Reddish Brown like an Autumn leaf; Smell: biscuit-like, some roasted toffee, and light grassy aroma; Taste: Heavy malty taste up-front with a minimal hoppy taste; Feel: very rich with medium carbonation. Overall, a solid crossover beer that meets all the specifications of a Vienna Lager. (294 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

Boston Lager is one of my least favorite Sam Adams brews, and I'm not sure if it's because I know how much variety they have elsewhere or if I just don't like it that much, but it's one I typically pass up on a menu unless there's nothing else worth drinking. (259 characters)

Out of a Bottle this is Some of the best dark Lager I've ever had. Out of a can its too carbonated. Good beer. bought a can for 1.00 recently. Some good stuff. Bought in a quest to find the best beer at my gas station. Between this lager, and sierra nevada's pale ale. We have a lager winner and a Ale winner. Blue moon belgian white is better than the shock top equivalent. Over all good buy and an excellent buy for the money. Enjoyable and just easy drinking lager. this is something i would keep around. Beats anything else besides the sierra nevada. Over all a 5 out of 5. Excellent quality at a low price. After all, SA started the craft revolution. Considering this is my first craft style lager, its better than all the Bud miller and coors lagers. (757 characters)

Review: Bottle of Samuel Adams Lager 4.90%ABV

I was eager to try Samuel Adams, a beer that has a good reputation, an American craft beer classic. Comes in a lovely looking bottle, so lets have a gander at what this Boston beer is all about.

The appearance is great. It pours a nice dark golden colour with a good sized frothy head that hangs around a while leaving decent lacing. It has the look of a real beer, cant wait to drink it while standing back and admiring the froth.

I got a faint smell of malts and a bit of floral hops. The smell was pleasant and not overbearing.

The Samuel Adams taste had a variety of strong flavours from the hops and malt which were well balanced, all tingling away at my taste buds. Caramel was one taste that stood out. The finish is strong with a long lasting heavy aftertaste. Overall a nice solid beer and a great delicious taste. Samuel Adams is a beer that you will remember. (921 characters)

Readily available. Commercial craft and after all the years it's still a consistent recipe. Always stocked in my fridge. Never let down with this one. (150 characters)

A: (3/3) Brilliantly clear amber with medium carbonation and thin but well-retained head
S: (9/12) Tree fruity and caramel malt with a little bit of that Fruity Pebbles piney hop character
T: (16/20) Caramely malt fades to mildly bitter but crisp hops, mild hang
M: (5/5) Medium carbonation and medium dryness
O: (7/10) Can’t mess with a classic. The beer that helped reinvent lagers for craft brewers is still quite tasty, even 30 years later. Really hard for me to fault it. Even though I always want more flavor, I know full well heaping hops or banana yeast on this guy would only make it worse.
40/50 (613 characters)

Poured from 12oz bottle into Sam Adams glass

Appearance: A 2" sudsy off white head slowly drops with mild lacing. Mostly clear light amber appearance with tons of streaming carbonation.

Aroma: fresh bread dough is dominate, also a hint of sweetness and some tangy, earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: fairly light and slick with a crisp, dry finish.

Flavor: combination of the sweet barley/bread dough flavor with floral and citrus rind hops.

Overall: This beer has grown on me as of late. For years I didn't really care for it, but I have found it more enjoyable in recent months. (574 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +13%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I find it comical some of the snobs on here I remember doing a beer tasting at my house with all Belgium beers and I had this their also, everyone picked it as their favorite and had to break the bad news that it was Sam Adams .. Anyway great beer on any day (258 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

BBC- Sam Adams is my least favorite brewery. Consistently pumping out beers lower than others on my beer board. I tried liking ya Sammy, but there's so many better beers and breweries out there, so many. (203 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

You know, I don't really care if people diss Sam Adams or not, I think several of there beers are pretty damn good...this one IMO is there best! Granted, they DO have some pretty horrid offerings (see latitude 48) but, several are superb. Boston Lager is a very well balanced beer with exceptional drinkability. Also, give them credit for saving from near extinction one of the greatest beer styles, the Vienna Lager. If you haven't tried a Boston Lager yet, do yourself a favor and give it a shot. Chances are, you will like it! (529 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Samuel Adams on draft at my local Tex Mex joint. Strap in; here we go!

Appearance: Very luminescent bronze, with a one-finger width white head, quickly dissolving into a light froth with significant lacing on the glass. Some light carbonation bubbles to the surface.

Aroma: Faint aroma of grassiness. However, it is almost undetectable.

Taste: The carbonation hits you right away, and you get some graininess. Not much else.

Mouthfeel: Fairly smooth, light to medium body, biting carbonation, especially at the back of the throat. It's adequate.

Overall: Sam Adams is... well, Sam Adams. It's not the most flavorful beer in the world, but it generally beats out most other cheap AALs. It used to be my go-to before I wised up, but it still gets the job done, and I wouldn't turn one down if it was offered to me. (824 characters)

This is an amazing example of a lager style beer. Clean, crisp and refreshing. Pours a beautiful amber color with a thin maybe 1/4" white head. The smell is light, a subtle dry hop smell to it perhaps. Very easy drinking tastes of a nice light hops flavor mixed with a light citrusy flavor. This is very easy drinking and has a great traditional clean lager taste. I especially enjoy the lightly dry finish to the sip. If your looking for something that is quality and easy drinking for a simple night , this is it! (522 characters)

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)