Merry Maker Gingerbread Stout - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Merry Maker Gingerbread StoutMerry Maker Gingerbread Stout

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: whynot44 on 11-18-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Merry Maker Gingerbread Stout Alström Bros

On tap at Gordon Street Tavern in Alvin, Texas.

I went into this beer thinking it would be good as I tend to like most beers done by Samuel Adams...

first sip... whoa... what is this... this is delicious... I love everything about this beer... the look, the smell and especially the taste.. what a fantastic gingerbread stout... I love this beer.

I planned on trying this and then getting something else.. but man.. this was so good I ended up having two pints of this beer.. oh.. and it's 9 percent.. but I didn't even notice the alcohol at all..

I had a second pint to make sure I loved it as much as I thought I did on the first... yes I do... now I need to go round up any bottles I can still find out there... hope it's close to being as good from the bottle.

Samuel Adam's "Merry Maker" pours a Black Hole Black, as in I could not get ANY light from my 75 Watt HID (High Intensity Discharge) flashlight through this Black Out Black liquid, none, nada, zip. Head of fine mocha coffee brown foam went to over 2 fingers, before settling down to a full cap of rocky foam landscape with generous amounts of lace along the wall of my glass.

Nose is of fragrant Ginger, Nutmeg, Clove, and Cinnamon. Ginger is in the forefront of the spicy bouquet that completely cloaks the 9% ABV.

The ambrosia like palate is a smooth and silky gingerbread, with just the slightest note of alcohol.

It is the total personification of liquid Gingerbread that wins the all 5's for this brew.

4.88/5  rDev +32.2%

I get that nice gingerbread cookie smell from it or graham cracker crust smell that you'd find in Southern Tier Pumking. The taste however is somewhat different with a syrupy thick chocolate malt and some ginger and cinnamon spice at the end of the sip.

Its very easy to drink and rich, bold and sweet. The ginger bread comes in sort of tart which makes it easier to drink plus the sweetness balances with the spices really nicely. If it tasted just a bit more like the graham cracker crust it'd be perfect but it's still an amazing beer. The ginger shines and I really like ginger so I really like this beer. Especially mixing in with the amazing sweet malts they chose for this.

4.72/5  rDev +27.9%

4.68/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This'll be short, folks...

A - The perfect stout. Creamy head, thick, black body, nice khaki foam. Head retains like crazy and looks kinda milky, but the fact that it sticks around like it does makes me happy.

S - Gingerbread men who've had coffee and beer recently. Smells like it should!

T - Gingerbread with a sweet chocolate undertone, touch of roasty smokey spice, black malt undertones. Very sweet though, only thing that could stop me from drinking several.

M - Perfect stout feel. Creamy, smooth, carbonated just enough to keep ya drinking. Wonderful feel.

O - The only beer I've had better than this is PUMPKINATOR, and they're both so similar, I can honestly say that DESERT IMPERIAL STOUT IS A FANTASTIC IDEA! So, come on with it folks, gimme some apple pie stout so I'll never waste money on desert again.

4.56/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Black with a brown head.

S: Ginger, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon in the nose.

T: Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, chocolate, ginger, gingerbread.

M: Medium bodied and smooth.

O: You have to like sweet beers to like this one, but if you do, you'll love it. It took me some searching to find, but It was well worth the time and effort. Im glad it's a yearly release.

4.55/5  rDev +23.3%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

Absolute black tar colored with nice 1/4 inch head. Dark enough that my brother in law's flashlight did not penetrate! Good lacing.

Smells like....gingerbread! (imagine that) Cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, like Christmas in a glass.
Made me instantly think of a warm fire and baking in the kitchen.

Taste like is smells. Amazing gingerbread taste. Incredibly warming, the perfect brew for a cold winter night. Alcohol is well balanced, not kicking you in the teeth but sneaking up on you quick.

Mouthfeel was good, very smooth and big. Lets you know its a stout for sure.

Over all a fantastic beer, well suited for the holidays.

4.53/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured from bottle into a stein.

Appearance: Black, very dark. Beige head, about two fingers worth.

Smell: Molasses, ginger, sugar, cinnamon, coffee, and some chocolate. Very complex smell.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Full bodied and thick. Amazing complex flavors nutmeg, cinnamon, molasses, and coffee dominate the palate. Faint flavors of chocolate.

Overall: Excellent stout! I enjoyed every drop of this brew.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Merry Maker Gingerbread Stout from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)