Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,619 | Reviews: 1,167

A favorite for me. I look forward every year to seeing this in the store. I would love to find this on tap somewhere.

3.79/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Solid beer, one of my favorite beers to kick back with. If you like the taste of beer an want a nice hint of fruit, then this is a very good pick. If you do not like the taste of beer, then I would suggest something different, but for those that can enjoy a good beer this is a solid choice.

This is a melted cherry freeze pop imposed as a beer.

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Good, not great, fruit beer

4.32/5  rDev +37.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The cherry comes through big time in the aroma. In the flavor, it helps to mild the normal potent aftertaste of the wheat and just sort of hangs out in the back. A really nice and mild beer.

4.14/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

If you're looking for a smooth drinking non-hoppy beer with a hint of fruitiness, this is a great option.

4.02/5  rDev +28%

What does outlier mean anyway?

3.07/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I put this in a build your own six pack. Very happy I did. Has a very distinct cherry taste but not over done. At first drink or tastes like a Dr. Pepper without the sweetness. I think I found another summer beer.

3.28/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Poured into snifter. Color was that of lemonade and ocean water (weird but what I saw).

Aroma was a little overwhelming of turnips and chocolate.

Taste was very good. The chocolate was more suddle than expected. No taste of turnips. It had a slight merlot flavour (must be from the cherrys).

Overall it is amazing. 5 out of 5.

1.96/5  rDev -37.6%

Smells of cherry, tastes of cherry and beer, not a good mix in my opinion.

3.58/5  rDev +14%

12 ounce bottle into signature pint glass, best before 6/2015. Pours lightly hazy golden orange color with a 1 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of black cherry, wheat, cracker, biscuit, light honey, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of black cherry and bready malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of black cherry, wheat, cracker, biscuit, light honey, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Minimal earthy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of black cherry, wheat, cracker, biscuit, light honey, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Good balance and robustness of black cherry and bready malt flavors; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and lightly creamy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 5.3%. Overall this is a good fruit wheat beer. All around good balance and robustness of black cherry and bready malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

4.64/5  rDev +47.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very Cherry like... But very good... taste is pretty bland, slight dry cherry taste. it tastes better than it smells, i was expecting something different once i smelled it. i can definitely see where people have said it's cherry cough syrup + dr pepper.

3.81/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap is significantly better than the bottle for some odd reason. The cherry on tap was rather flavorful compared to the bottle where it was less prevalent.

1.75/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Outlier rating forced review. Awful feature.

3.98/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It was creamy and felt quite thick for lack of a better word.

samuel adams cherry wheat is cool.

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Not a fan of cherry but I figured I would try it. It's light but the cherry ruins it for me. Drinkable one bottle at a time but I couldn't have more than one.

3.81/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer gets hated on a lot, but honestly it is what it says it is: cherry flavored beer. I mean what were you expecting? Complaints abound it tastes like cough syrup. That’s because, guess what people, a lot of cough syrups are cherry flavored. It probably also tastes like a lot of cherry pies too, go figure.
I may never buy it again (then again who knows maybe I will – stranger things have happened). It’s not nearly as awful as you may’ve been led to believe. While I’ll admit if I had to drink several of these at once it’d drive me batty, it’s something different, change of pace that sorta thing.

1.96/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

I didn't really enjoy it, when I was a youth I drank to get drunk, but recently I've started drinking beer to enjoy my beer, unfortunately, I thought I would enjoy this one. Now I enjoy ales, and I thought this would be good, but unfortunately I thought it was just too much like a dry cough syrup.

3.87/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Slight haze with some lacing. Cherry sweetness stands out in the aroma. Crisp and refreshing with a hint of bitterness at the back end. Overall a very good summer beer.

4.75/5  rDev +51.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Cherry Wheat was my first Sam Adams beer and as soon I took a sip,I loved it!

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

This looks so good but never cans seem to find one that tastes as good as it looks.

3.94/5  rDev +25.5%

Very good beer, perfect for those cold New England winters.

1.76/5  rDev -43.9%

I generally consider Sam Adams to be a good (not great), quality brewer. And while I was at first reluctant to give them a try, I have found many "fruity" beers that I find quite enjoyable. But Sam's Cherry Wheat was a major disappointment. The dominant, overpowering flavor was, to me, far too reminiscent of cherry cough syrup. And not in a good way. As cough syrup, a cherry cough syrup flavor is fine. Mixed with beer, not so much. A rare beer that to me was undrinkable. I tried one from a six-pack, didn't finish it, and gave the remaining five away.

Enjoyable beer that I am yet to find at home in Australia. The cherry flavour/smell is not too overwhelming.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)