Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 3,575 | Reviews: 1,147
3.87/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Slight haze with some lacing. Cherry sweetness stands out in the aroma. Crisp and refreshing with a hint of bitterness at the back end. Overall a very good summer beer.

4.75/5  rDev +51.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Cherry Wheat was my first Sam Adams beer and as soon I took a sip,I loved it!

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

This looks so good but never cans seem to find one that tastes as good as it looks.

3.94/5  rDev +25.5%

Very good beer, perfect for those cold New England winters.

1.76/5  rDev -43.9%

I generally consider Sam Adams to be a good (not great), quality brewer. And while I was at first reluctant to give them a try, I have found many "fruity" beers that I find quite enjoyable. But Sam's Cherry Wheat was a major disappointment. The dominant, overpowering flavor was, to me, far too reminiscent of cherry cough syrup. And not in a good way. As cough syrup, a cherry cough syrup flavor is fine. Mixed with beer, not so much. A rare beer that to me was undrinkable. I tried one from a six-pack, didn't finish it, and gave the remaining five away.

Enjoyable beer that I am yet to find at home in Australia. The cherry flavour/smell is not too overwhelming.

3.79/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I had really high hopes for this brew. It had a great aroma and it felt great texture-wise. I do feel that the cherry flavor was a bit overwhelming, but it had a wonderful aftertaste.

I went into this one pretty leery, but have to say it wasn't too bad. It has a good start, but feels like it could use a couple more tweaks. It is on the heavy side for a wheat beer and there is the slightest hint of cough syrup flavor behind the wheat and cherry. With a little tweaking, this could be pretty good.

Wouldn't buy again, but not bad.

3.07/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

looks like a blonde ale with maybe a slight amber tinge, decent head to it

smells exactly like cherry cough syrup.

taste is pretty bland, slight dry cherry taste. it tastes better than it smells, i was expecting something different once i smelled it. i can definitely see where people have said it's cherry cough syrup + dr pepper

3.34/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I had such low expectations with this beer, but despite the overwhelming cherry aroma, the taste is actually good, a nice weizen with a hinch of cherry, not bad at all.

I had this beer a few months ago. Thank goodness I didn't buy it. A friend brought a six pack over to the house. Thought it was a good idea due to the fact I'm from Boston originally. Back to the beer taste horrible don't know what Sam Adams was thinking. Just not my swag at all. I am not into any fruity beer period. I like the fact the company tried an experiment, but epic fail in my opinion.

2.35/5  rDev -25.2%

Cough syrup and Dr. Pepper.

3.12/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Overly sweet and fruity. Not something I would ever buy again.

3.85/5  rDev +22.6%

i can only drink one bottle of this at a sitting. more than that and the fruit flavors start to get sickly on me. but that one first cold bottle for me is a good one. the cherry is brightly fruity and pronounced. the wheat is decent but i suspect could be better

1.36/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This beer is revolting. It's like someone mixed a wheat beer with Dr Pepper. I got sucked in by having bought and enjoyed Samuel Adam's Cold Snap (which is pretty good) but when it ran out this took it's place. Yuck. I am on the ground with minimal sight and following the lights to the exit. GOOD DAY.

4.54/5  rDev +44.6%

So I used to think this was just OK until I took a tour at Sam Adams, my sister had given me a goodie from her law school and apparently most of the tour guides were law students they let us stay after the tour and when they "washed" out my sample glass they poured me the cherry wheat on draft and it blew my mind. It's upsetting that the stuff outside of boston comes from a diffrent brewery.

4.55/5  rDev +44.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

This is one of my favorites. I've tasted many fruit flavored beers and Cherry Wheat does it right.

It's a great beer because the cherry taste is very well assimilated. I am impressed with the company lately and they are one of the bigger ones that can pull novel beers like this off. The taste is not medicinal or anything other than a natural overtone. I liked it. Not my favorite, but it's good.

4.39/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Surprisingly on the darker side, with a definite cherry taste. Not as fruity as one might think though.

3.94/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tastes pretty much like cherry coke, I will buy one every now and then.

2.77/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

L: Pours a hazy golden color with a bit of red/orange to it. Topped off with a bubbly and thick white head to it. Decent lace and plenty of carbonation

S: Cherries and honey. That is the dominating scent to it. Bit of maltiness as well, but it's mainly cherries with a hint of honey. Almost like a sweet cereal. Not an overly bad smelling beer if not a little gimmicky.

T: Like the scent, the main ingredient here is Cherry. You'd hope so also since it is a "Cherry Wheat" after all. It does stay fairly true to the name to give it credit. It's heavy on the cherry flavor, almost to a cough mediciny degree. And not the real cherry flavor either, but like the artificial flavor of a cherry coke. Biscuit, honey, and malt are also present, but the cherry is the overbearing lead singer. Tastes far too much like a cough syrup at times. It isn't the worst combination of flavors, the Cherry is just too much.

F: It's a light and frothy beer. Very tingly on the tongue. Bitter and lingering aftertaste of, you guessed it, medicine.

O: I am so torn on this because I want to like it for the concept. It does do a few things right. There are some great subtle flavors in there like the biscuit, honey, and malt, but they are just overpowered by the impending robitussin-esque combination of Cherry and alcohol. I mean, it's not sink pour bad, but I would definitely only use it as a last resort beer at a party you didn't want to go to but are now stuck at for several hours. Bit disappointing since Sam Adams has always been one of my favorite craft/major brews, but not everything can be outstanding.

2.79/5  rDev -11.1%

Bottle BB 3/15 at about 42 degrees into 8 oz glass
Aroma of cherry cough syrup
Head small (2 cm, aggressive pour), white, frothy, diminishing to 5 mm ring with 1 mm bullseye layer
Lacing good – nearly complete rings of tiny bubbles
Body medium yellow, clear
Flavor extremely sweet cherry cough syrup followed by a bitter chemical aftertaste. No hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate medium, creamy, fizzy carbonation

Appearance 4.5, Aroma 3, Flavor 2, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.25

4.48/5  rDev +42.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite Sam Adams beers, good mix of wheat and cherry, cherry a little more present. Good aroma. Refreshing break from my last IPA binge

3.39/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Come on you guys, it's not great but its not that terrible.

3.02/5  rDev -3.8%

If you take the artificial cherry taste from cherry coke and put it into a beer this is what you get.

to view more.
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)