Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,130 | Hads: 3,651
3.8/5  rDev +17.3%

Its for when you want beer but something different that is not just a beer taste. Pours to a cloudy straw/gold color. It is def. filled with cherry flavor and vanilla. Hit you in the nose, mouth and throat. Def. pungent and some may not like. Goes down smooth. (264 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a Weizen

L: light Amber with a small white head, small lacing on sides

S: CHERRIES , yum, and vanilla

T: cherry and grass, small hop bite with a slight sour aftertaste

F: small sting from the carbonation but a very smooth finish

O: this is a nice end of the day beer that I could easily keep in the fridge for that "I want a beer" moments (360 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light gold hazy color with pale white head. Can definitely smell the cherries! Good carbonation and little to no lacing. Initial taste of cherries, quickly changes to kind of bland slightly dry finish. Missing that flavorful taste of a typical wheat beer. (267 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

On the side of the bottle, it reads that the cherries come from Traverse City, MI. Well, due to my research, I've heard that this is the cherry capital of the world. Here's the rest...
This was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was a ruddy red to slight brown color. A foamy to bubbly one finger white head dissipates immediately barely leaving any lacing.
The smell, well, okay, there's the cherries, balanced by a sweet wheatiness.
The taste was fairly sweet through the cherries and wheatiness. But there's a slight medicinal aftertaste, hmmm...that's a bit disappointing.
The mouthfeel seems about a light to medium on the body. Carbonation runs about a medium as there's some harshness, another hmmmm....on my part.
Overall, between the medicinal aftertaste and the harshness on the mouthfeel (I would think that the wheat should detract from the harshness), also, true cherries are going to have a slight tartness to it. I didn't get that either. Ruh roh, Sam Adams, leaves me scratching my head a bit. I don't think I'd come back to this and I don't think those cherries are from Traverse City. (1,108 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

I had this beer at the Carolina Ale House in Columbia, SC. Served from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
The aroma was of wheat and cherry extract, not bad.
Appearance- The beer had a nice golden color.
Taste- This was the drawback for me, the flavor was overpowering on the fake cherry flavoring.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with mild carbonation.
Overall- A good beer, but you have to be in the mood for this cheery beer. (426 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Look: typical golden, cloudy wheat look with a tinge of red. Foamy white head.

Smell: overwhelming cherry aroma with some grain backbone. Cherry literally jumps into the nose.

Taste: something didn't seem quite right with this one... I can't quite put my finger on it. When I eat cherries, I tend to get a strange acidy aftertaste in my mouth afterwards. Maybe that has something to do with it. But it's just not a strong enough wheat overall.

Mouthfeel: a tad thin and watery but decent.

Overall, not an overwhelmingly strong Sam Adams addition. Just ok.

Link to my YouTube review of this beer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9qj3mltAns (717 characters)

Heavy smell and taste of cherries upfront but then the beer seems to falls apart: virtually no body with a very dry after taste. It's just an okay beer, nothing more. I expected better, would not buy again. (206 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Solid beer, one of my favorite beers to kick back with. If you like the taste of beer an want a nice hint of fruit, then this is a very good pick. If you do not like the taste of beer, then I would suggest something different, but for those that can enjoy a good beer this is a solid choice. (291 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The cherry comes through big time in the aroma. In the flavor, it helps to mild the normal potent aftertaste of the wheat and just sort of hangs out in the back. A really nice and mild beer. (192 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I put this in a build your own six pack. Very happy I did. Has a very distinct cherry taste but not over done. At first drink or tastes like a Dr. Pepper without the sweetness. I think I found another summer beer. (217 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Poured into snifter. Color was that of lemonade and ocean water (weird but what I saw).

Aroma was a little overwhelming of turnips and chocolate.

Taste was very good. The chocolate was more suddle than expected. No taste of turnips. It had a slight merlot flavour (must be from the cherrys).

Overall it is amazing. 5 out of 5. (334 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -39.5%

Drank from the bottle, so I can't comment on looks.
It smelled strongly like cherry, maybe a hint of a wheat beer smell to it.
Tasted strongly of cherry and beer. I like cherries and I like beer, but the combination does not work for me. I found it hard to choke down. (269 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

12 ounce bottle into signature pint glass, best before 6/2015. Pours lightly hazy golden orange color with a 1 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of black cherry, wheat, cracker, biscuit, light honey, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of black cherry and bready malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of black cherry, wheat, cracker, biscuit, light honey, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Minimal earthy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of black cherry, wheat, cracker, biscuit, light honey, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Good balance and robustness of black cherry and bready malt flavors; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and lightly creamy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 5.3%. Overall this is a good fruit wheat beer. All around good balance and robustness of black cherry and bready malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering. (1,250 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +43.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very Cherry like... But very good... taste is pretty bland, slight dry cherry taste. it tastes better than it smells, i was expecting something different once i smelled it. i can definitely see where people have said it's cherry cough syrup + dr pepper. (253 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap is significantly better than the bottle for some odd reason. The cherry on tap was rather flavorful compared to the bottle where it was less prevalent. (158 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -10.5%

Not a fan of cherry but I figured I would try it. It's light but the cherry ruins it for me. Drinkable one bottle at a time but I couldn't have more than one. (158 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer gets hated on a lot, but honestly it is what it says it is: cherry flavored beer. I mean what were you expecting? Complaints abound it tastes like cough syrup. That’s because, guess what people, a lot of cough syrups are cherry flavored. It probably also tastes like a lot of cherry pies too, go figure.
I may never buy it again (then again who knows maybe I will – stranger things have happened). It’s not nearly as awful as you may’ve been led to believe. While I’ll admit if I had to drink several of these at once it’d drive me batty, it’s something different, change of pace that sorta thing. (627 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

I didn't really enjoy it, when I was a youth I drank to get drunk, but recently I've started drinking beer to enjoy my beer, unfortunately, I thought I would enjoy this one. Now I enjoy ales, and I thought this would be good, but unfortunately I thought it was just too much like a dry cough syrup. (298 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Slight haze with some lacing. Cherry sweetness stands out in the aroma. Crisp and refreshing with a hint of bitterness at the back end. Overall a very good summer beer. (171 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -45.7%

I generally consider Sam Adams to be a good (not great), quality brewer. And while I was at first reluctant to give them a try, I have found many "fruity" beers that I find quite enjoyable. But Sam's Cherry Wheat was a major disappointment. The dominant, overpowering flavor was, to me, far too reminiscent of cherry cough syrup. And not in a good way. As cough syrup, a cherry cough syrup flavor is fine. Mixed with beer, not so much. A rare beer that to me was undrinkable. I tried one from a six-pack, didn't finish it, and gave the remaining five away. (564 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I had really high hopes for this brew. It had a great aroma and it felt great texture-wise. I do feel that the cherry flavor was a bit overwhelming, but it had a wonderful aftertaste. (183 characters)

I went into this one pretty leery, but have to say it wasn't too bad. It has a good start, but feels like it could use a couple more tweaks. It is on the heavy side for a wheat beer and there is the slightest hint of cough syrup flavor behind the wheat and cherry. With a little tweaking, this could be pretty good.

Wouldn't buy again, but not bad. (349 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

looks like a blonde ale with maybe a slight amber tinge, decent head to it

smells exactly like cherry cough syrup.

taste is pretty bland, slight dry cherry taste. it tastes better than it smells, i was expecting something different once i smelled it. i can definitely see where people have said it's cherry cough syrup + dr pepper (332 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I had such low expectations with this beer, but despite the overwhelming cherry aroma, the taste is actually good, a nice weizen with a hinch of cherry, not bad at all. (168 characters)

I had this beer a few months ago. Thank goodness I didn't buy it. A friend brought a six pack over to the house. Thought it was a good idea due to the fact I'm from Boston originally. Back to the beer taste horrible don't know what Sam Adams was thinking. Just not my swag at all. I am not into any fruity beer period. I like the fact the company tried an experiment, but epic fail in my opinion. (397 characters)

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)