2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,929 | Reviews: 1,079 | Show All Ratings:
twi1609372

chery wheat has to be one of my favorite beers. the taste is exceptional, the flavor excelllent. i am flabergasted by the bad reviews about this beer. this is a high quality beer, the cherry flavor isnt overpowering. this is a great beer i reccomend it for anyone.

11-14-2002 23:56:20 | More by twi1609372
tjd112

Got this at Hard Rock Cafe in Denver on tap, into pint glass

Appearance - Pours an opaque golden/brown colour with white head, good retention

Smell - Strong cherry

Taste - Strong cherry, with a balance of maltiness and hoppiness

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a dry yet dangerously smooth finish

Drinkability - Could drink these all day

Overall - Another favourite

01-10-2010 04:42:39 | More by tjd112
kwill

4.95/5  rDev +58.1%

Pours a dark golden color, but looks thin when held up to a light. Head pours a little small, but portions of it linger through most of the beer.

Smell is distinctively cherry, but is not too powerful or too sweet. Taste has a small hint of wheat, but it is the cherry flavor that really comes through. Mouthfeel is perfectly balanced and finishes clean.

I have been looking forward to reviewing this one as Sam Adams Cherry Wheat has been one of my favorite beers for a long time. This is the perfect beer for a hot Texas summer day sitting by the pool and waiting for the steaks to go on the grill :). I only wish I could have given the appearance a better score so that this beer could receive a perfect 5.

01-30-2003 21:06:45 | More by kwill
milkjunkie666

4.95/5  rDev +58.1%

I'm not the most educated brewmaster or anything, but i'm very surprised at the C rating for this beer, it's probably my favorite. i drink a lot of beers, and generally agree with most reviews, for the most part, but this one is waaaay off.

Look: s like a beer
Smell: Strong cherry scent, obviously, and also some beery smells
Taste: exceptional is a fitting analysis.. this beer is great, i understand a lot of people have different tastes, but this is just really smooth with the perfect amount of cherry, not too sweet, and a nice change from the norm. great flavor, great balance, i see nothing wrong with this brew

uh.. i'm drawing a blank.. look, smell, taste... what else is there?.. oh right, mouthfeel: uh, feels bubbly and full of flavors.. in my mouth

09-03-2011 22:17:38 | More by milkjunkie666
steanu

4.9/5  rDev +56.5%

A-Its got a beautiful color of Golden reddish brown it's very attractive.

S-It's got a rich smell of Michigan Cherries.

T- It's got a nice sweet taste, but not too sweet.

M- It is not overpoweing at all and that is a good thing. It also does not leave an aftertaste.

D-It's got drinkability alright! it's one of my favorite brew.

Its another great brew from Samuel Adams. Samuel Adams is probably my favorite beer company. The beer is great in a bottle and it's even better on tap!

05-14-2009 01:07:28 | More by steanu
cdizinno

South Carolina

4.9/5  rDev +56.5%

Presentation: Poured into a tulip glass from a brown bottle with best by date of June '09. I need to clarify that I bought several bottles on a clearance sale for only 50 cents each!

A: Cloudy amber with a slight pinkish hue. Decent white head and heavy lacing.

S: Strong cherry aromas that overpower almost anything else.

T&M: Light bodied, medium carbonated typical wheat. Strong cherry flavor, very smooth and light wheat taste. Excellent beer for quantity without overindulgence.

If you like cherries or cherry flavor you'll love this!!! Some of the reviews I have read seem a bit harsh and I sense that maybe these folks may not particularly care for cherry flavor? I have been a fan of this stuff since it came out many years ago and have had it on tap as well. Most of the time it is great but there is some inconsistency with batches so if you get a bad six pack or draught, definitely try another single or on tap. I can say that this particular bottle, even though it is over a month out of date, is still excellent. As a plus, I believe it is now bottle conditioned for longer shelf life.

08-05-2009 21:31:54 | More by cdizinno
NeoMoose

4.88/5  rDev +55.9%

Fantastic. It looks great when you pour it out. When you give it a whiff you get a burst of wonderful cherry aroma. Then when you take your first sip you get that same burst of cherry flavor that you expected as soon as you smelled it. Then you get a wonderful light, crisp beer flavor that complements the cherry flavor fantastically. I could pound these all day long.

04-19-2009 17:49:17 | More by NeoMoose
dakeynr

4.88/5  rDev +55.9%

Cherry aroma hits your nose immediately, after pouring into a pint glass...nice frothy head...first taste: sweetness of cherry hits the palate first, then a nice crisp finish. I like this beer. Can't drink it all the time, but only because my taste buds get used to it, and get jaded...I really think this is my all time favorite beer. My anytime beer: summer - great thirst quencher. Fall: great to go with any Autumn dish. Winter: well, hell, whatever holiday we're in, gimme a Cherry Wheat - it's a celebration in my mouth! Spring: a celebration of the season! I love this one. And maybe that makes my review a little less relevant, but for the record: I don't have any ties to the Sam Adams brewery. But I know what I like.

11-22-2009 04:52:12 | More by dakeynr
Brad007

Vermont

4.85/5  rDev +55%

This beer pours a light pale color. Aroma is similar to cherry coke and cherries in general, which isn't bad because it does live up to it's name in aroma. The taste has a strong cherry essence with some hints of wheat in the background. Again, perhaps too sweet or too heavy on the strawberry. Still a well balanced beer that I feel is worthier than other styles attempted by SA.

05-06-2007 02:45:40 | More by Brad007
LegendaAcBn

4.85/5  rDev +55%

First of all I would like to say I'm going to be very open minded with any review that I do knowing that everyone has their dislikes and likes. I would like to start out by saying for a 5.35% alcohol content beer this is a very good choice to get with the ladys as it is smooth and lacks that overall beer taste alot of woman despise. I am reviewing this as a flavored beer cause thats what it is. If your not the flavor beer kind of person don't waste your time purchasing this. I think the smell of this beers is amazing smelling of cherrys of course. The head is really thick and just perfect. The taste is very smooth cherry taste with a faint wheat flavor with no sign of any alcohol taste around I was surprised to find out its alcohol content. Overall I think this beer is a excellent choice best flavored beer I've ever had. Samuel Adams has always been my favorite beer company and they have not failed me on this one.

11-04-2007 23:42:55 | More by LegendaAcBn
gilman

4.85/5  rDev +55%

This is a very good beer for something different now and then.
I get this in a growler when available and also in bottles. I prefer the growlers freshness.
Wheat aroma with cherry flavoring, I like the biteness in this beer.
Crisp and refreshing out of the fridge with a medium light body.
Good inch foam head but doesnt last long enough.
I get this on tap at a local eatery and they serve it up with a cherry in the glass tasty.

Serving type: growler

11-06-2009 16:45:13 | More by gilman
Cavanaghty

Maine

4.85/5  rDev +55%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams Glass.

Appearance: Cloudy hazy amber color. Very thin white head with mild lacing.

Smell: Cherries, lots of cherries. Some wheat and hop notes.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Delicious cherry and wheat flavors.

Overall: Excellent cherry wheat. Well balanced and flavorful. Always enjoy this brew.

12-24-2012 23:12:13 | More by Cavanaghty
jmichaelp

4.83/5  rDev +54.3%

This is a very nice beer, I often drink it during the Summer as a refreshing change of pace. When compared to Pete's Strawberry Blonde, another widely available fruit-based beer, SA Cherry Wheat has a more pronounced fruit taste. However, it's not at all overpowering & compliments the wheat nicely. I also find the sweetness to be quire neutral. I really detest any sweet drinks - I've never been able to finish a six-pack of milk stout I bought & never drink fruity mixed drinks, so if you're looking for something sweet probably look elswhere.

09-05-2005 22:24:12 | More by jmichaelp
Porkchuck

4.83/5  rDev +54.3%

A - Good lookin frothy pour

S - Wheat field with a ripe cherry tree blowing in your face

T - super smooth easy on your palate a little sweet

M - wheat beer. you all understand if you are on this site

D - good for a few. have something different an then go back for a few more.

09-14-2008 18:36:56 | More by Porkchuck
squish059

4.8/5  rDev +53.4%

grabbed a six pack of this looking to try something new. always a big fan of sam adams so i figured "why not?"
this is my first wheat ale and my first fruit beer so i was weary to say the least, i'm also not a big fan of cherries but i thought they'd probably go well with beer.
very nice smell poured a nice head that mostly went away in 2 minutes but a bit stayed. obviously a taste of cherries but with a very nice beer...i would love it without the cherries. near perfect carbonation. great beer to drink, only planned on having 3 but drank the entire sixer. anytime i see this stuff i'll grab one. very delicious.

04-12-2006 19:38:31 | More by squish059
PaterIovisLII

Maryland

4.75/5  rDev +51.8%

This beer is in a nice bottle and don't let that "Don't judge a good book by its cover" idea fool you this beer lives up to its potential. This beer gets a decent head and pours a nice deep amber but not too dark. The smell of this makes one look forward to drinking it and when it hits the toungue it has a fantastic typical lager flavor but after swallowing, the cherry aftertaste makes this a spectacular beer. SA Cherry Wheat is a simple classic beer. Nothing special enough to spend hundreds on but certainly one that I recommend. This Beer, like most Samuel Adams, are good with Beef, a Steak, a Burger, etc...Try it, you won't be disappointed

10-10-2005 05:05:53 | More by PaterIovisLII
merddyn2002

4.75/5  rDev +51.8%

This is one of my favorite wheat beers and certainly my favorite fruit wheat. This sets the standard in my house for wheats. Everything is measured against it. Great fruit in the nose and in taste. Carbonation is perfect, good head when poured. You can't ask anything more from a fruit wheat. When I introduce new people to wheat beer this and leinenkugel sunset wheat are the two I reach for.

08-04-2010 15:31:47 | More by merddyn2002
billybob

4.72/5  rDev +50.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

first i would like to say i'm not a real big fan of sam adams beers and i have seen this beer many times and have passed it up. i was very leery to buy it but i was surprised and glad i did. poured a honey amber color with a three finger off white head with good retention and nice patchy lace to the finish. nice fruity cherry aromas with a taste of maraschino cherrys, sweet but not cloying on the palate. mouthfeel medium and smooth and carbonation is ok. drank five for the review and enjoyed every one.

04-06-2007 19:23:44 | More by billybob
GeneralZod

4.72/5  rDev +50.8%

APPEARANCE
A light amber color. The amount of head retentions was ok.

TASTE
As advertised, there was a hint of cherry. Not overhelming. There is a bit of sweetness and is adequately carbonated.

MOUTHFEEL
It is coarsed.

DRINKABILITY
It is one of Sam Adams better beers.
Quickly one of my favorite fruity beer.

11-27-2010 04:21:52 | More by GeneralZod
JackTheRipper

4.68/5  rDev +49.5%

OK, time to review my old stand-by, my beloved Sam Adams Cherry wheat.

Appearance: Pours a nice amber color, good head which dissipated quickly, but with a fair amount of lacing on the glass. Very clear.

Smell: Delicious fruity cherry smell, not overpowering at all, I've always thought that this is what a "fruit" beer should smell like.

Taste: Well balanced cherry taste, not medicinal at all, nice sweetness that finishes with just the right amount of bitterness. Aftertaste is hardly perceptible.

Mouthfeel: Wonderful carbonation. Nice and full body, alcohol is well masked. Not a very dry finish, a bit drier and this would have been a five as well.

Drinkability: For me, at least, off the chart. If I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it. I drink some of the other SA products, but this is what I think of when I think of beer. Outstanding. A bit more cherry up front on the taste, a bit more head, and a bit drier, and this would have been a five across the board. I truly do love this beer.

01-14-2004 00:26:46 | More by JackTheRipper
TheJones

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.68/5  rDev +49.5%

Appearance - Amber in color. Head was almost non existent.

Smell - Strong cherry smell but not enough to make it overwhelming.

Taste - Very sweet beer. The cherry is faint until the finish where it picks up.

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated.

Drinkability - Despite the cherry flavor it's easy to keep drinking. Great fall beer.

12-04-2010 09:03:21 | More by TheJones
dictatorial

4.65/5  rDev +48.6%

This beer is amazing. The flavor is very sweet which I don't usually enjoy, but in this case it seems to be done wonderfully. I had it on tap, into a pint glass and it was one of the better beers I have ever had. The appearance is like a light weizen, not red like I expected. The smell is beautiful with a bright cherry scent. The taste is brilliant cherry - as I said sweet, but not overbearing. The mouthfeel is nothing special, not bad, but nothing to write home about - definitely nothing left over but a great taste. Overall, I highly recommend it - even for a flavored beer.

11-28-2012 00:09:22 | More by dictatorial
Seru1

Alabama

4.63/5  rDev +47.9%

One of my first beers. It's still one I love to go back to nearly year round. It just makes me happy.

Poured in a pint glass

A- Golden with attractive lacing and a small head

S- Sweet cherries explode in the nose with a light refreshing smell. I wish I could wear the beer.

T- Wonderully sweet yet balanced. Unlike many so called fruit wheats you can clearly taste the cherries. Sweet wonderful mouthfulls of cherry balanced with a light wheat spice. Best sevred and drank ice cold. I hate to give a 5 but this is godly nectar to me, only two other beers I have ever had warrent 5's but this is one.

M- A nice coating just enough, not to much. with a decent linger.

D- I buy a six pack almost every friday. I rarely tire of it.

A beer for lovers of fruit and sweetness. Hop fans may want to look elsewhere. Sorry to gush. Great with desserts or just to add a sweet counterpart to a meal.

03-14-2008 01:50:41 | More by Seru1
yelterdow

4.63/5  rDev +47.9%

Served in a pint glass at just over fridge temperature, with a "drink by" date of February 2009.

Appearance- Pale straw gold, this beer pours without much fanfare... with a gentle swirl of the last few ounces in the bottle, we get a small amount of wheat malt in suspension. The white foamy cap settles around two fingers for awhile, then it reduces to a quarter inch. Lacing starts moments later and sticks in long, horizontal stretches inside the glass.

Smell- Gigantic aroma of Michigan cherries, so incredibly dense and full that it would be easy to proclaim its over-dominance... however, I am enamored by its supernatural presence. It's all cherries, all the time... but so clean and fruity it's ridiculous.

Taste- I'm noticing something now that really commands props, and it's the wonderful bready, smooth finish. The palate offers a generous helping of cherries, fresher than I could have ever imagined... then comes the doughy, light conclusion. So good.

Mouthfeel/Drinkablity- One surprise after another, this beer is dazzling the hell out of me. Sharp and quick immediately upon entering the mouth, it turns seafoamy and slick within seconds and becomes liquid velvet for the remainder of its short time there. Although I probably wouldn't drink more than one or two at a sitting, for intense flavor reasons only, this is stunningly enjoyable and **way** better than I remember from years ago.

11-09-2008 05:02:13 | More by yelterdow
SilentSabre

North Dakota

4.6/5  rDev +47%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This has certainly got to be one of my absolute fovourites from Samuel Adams. Extremely tasty. Pours a golden orange colour with almost no head, just a thin slightly off-white haze. Laces the glass nicely. Just looks good, almost thirst quenching. The smell is very strong of cherry. There is no doubt whatsoever that there is cherry in there. The taste is divine. Alot of cherry at first, then it subsides to a maltiness which then gives way to a very nice toasted flavour. Just delicious. Medium bodied; not too heavy. The mouth feel is a bit thinner than the black motor oil porters and stouts that I typically drink. Very tasty, very smooth, not a whole lot of carbonation, very drinkable. Fantastic!!

09-19-2004 20:16:19 | More by SilentSabre
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)