Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,133 | Hads: 3,670
2.31/5  rDev -28.3%

Pours great, looks great, even smells great. Cherries, a hint of brandy. Nice

First taste was not what I was expecting. As if someone had dropped a shot of cough syrup into the beer just beforehand, and it floated to the top. The initial taste mellows and is hard to notice later however, and it was rather easy to finish the pint off.

Not sure I'd buy this one again, and I'm a fan of every other Sam Adams product I've tried thus far.

2.31/5  rDev -28.3%

Straw colored, slightly hazy body with minimal head and very little lacing.

A TON of fake maraschino cherries in the aroma with a hint of the wheat beer beneath. Smells like a kid's cough syrup.

The taste is more huge fake cherry with a little more wheat to balance it out than what's in the aroma.

Too highly and tightly carbonated for a wheat.

The only reason this isn't a drain pour is because I'm going to pour the rest of the pint into some Tupperware to marinate meat in or make some kind of sauce. Ditto for the other bottle in the sampler.

2.28/5  rDev -29.2%

I had this brew for the first time in quite a while when a friend had an extra one sitting around. It was just as disappointing as I remembered. It sure smells great, but the taste is pretty bad. It certainly didn't look very good as I poured it into a pint glass either - no haziness despite being a wheat beer. It was very light in body, but with a very synthetic and cloying cherry flavor. Drink it cold and it's tolerable, but let it warm just a little and you are bombarded with a dismal cherry cough syrup flavored aftertaste.

2.26/5  rDev -29.8%

Very strong black-cherry-soda aroma, generally fresh wheat beer taste and feel, especially good super-ice-cold, mild cherry flavor comes through, but ultimately drinks more like a soda than a beer.

Unfortunately for me this beer presented a very strong almond extract finish that remained on the palate and conflicted with many savory foods.

Seems to be the perfect beer to accompany chocolates or a jelly doughnut.

2.26/5  rDev -29.8%

Usually Sam Adams has quality beer. Thought this beer would be better. Appearance was great. Redish color. Smells nice. Taste like cherry cough medicine. Mouth is about as good as cherry cough medicine. Drinkabilty isn't bad, but could be better if it didn't taste like cough medicine.

2.26/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

On the side of the bottle, it reads that the cherries come from Traverse City, MI. Well, due to my research, I've heard that this is the cherry capital of the world. Here's the rest...
This was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was a ruddy red to slight brown color. A foamy to bubbly one finger white head dissipates immediately barely leaving any lacing.
The smell, well, okay, there's the cherries, balanced by a sweet wheatiness.
The taste was fairly sweet through the cherries and wheatiness. But there's a slight medicinal aftertaste, hmmm...that's a bit disappointing.
The mouthfeel seems about a light to medium on the body. Carbonation runs about a medium as there's some harshness, another hmmmm....on my part.
Overall, between the medicinal aftertaste and the harshness on the mouthfeel (I would think that the wheat should detract from the harshness), also, true cherries are going to have a slight tartness to it. I didn't get that either. Ruh roh, Sam Adams, leaves me scratching my head a bit. I don't think I'd come back to this and I don't think those cherries are from Traverse City.

2.25/5  rDev -30.1%

All show and very little go with this cherry wheat beer from Sam Adams.

Head goes to about three fingers with just a simple pour from a 12 oz brown glass bottle, with a “Brewmaster’s Collection” label, no less. A nice light tan head, I might add, that leaves sheets of lace down the sides of my glass, a large 22oz one.

The body of this fluid, a nice cloudy amber orange, is very aesthetically pleasing... but that is about as far as it goes with this brew.

Nose is a chemical cheery that over powers any wheat elements and borders on being cloy.

Taste is a sour wet cheery in search of something sweet, but coming back with insufficient funds. The bight of carbonation does not help at all with this concoction. In my humble opinion, a bit of sweet barley malt would help.

The bottom line is that this offering from Sam Adams fails miserably as a fruit beer and is a wretched example of style.

2.25/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Shared a pitcher of this with great company over brick oven pizza.

Appearance is typical for a wheat beer, cloudy with copper color. Smells good enough, light wheat malt in front followed by huge cherry presence.

Taste is where this brew took a turn for the worse. Light malty palate smooth from the wheat, quickly crushed by an overwhelming, cloying, sickeningly sweet cherry presence. The cherry flavor is one-dimensional and tastes completely artificial. A cherry flavored candy or cherry cough medicine is what this reminds me of, not actual cherries. The body was refreshing but drinkability was non existent, every sip made me cringe.

I realize that fruit beers seem to be a very polarizing style. I enjoy them, but not with a flavor this overwhelming. I could barely stomach a glass but if you prefer a fruit beer with intense, in your face flavor this may be right up your alley.

2.24/5  rDev -30.4%

appearance: pours an intriguing orange and brown. the white head makes a thick starting appearance and sticks around for the whole drinking period.

smell: marichino cherries and cardboard make up most of the aroma, but sometimes i like the smell of cardborad so it's not too bad.

taste: the taste is overpowering and seems to consist mainly of cough syrup. but as the beer warms to room temperature other flavors kick in and the cough syrup taste goes away, making it a more interesting tasting experience. i still don't like it, the cherry taste is too artificial through out the whole beer.

mouthfeel: feels smooth and light in my mouth, like most fruit beers i've tried. i can notice the hops trying to balance the sweetness with a welcome bittering, but not as much as i really want.

drinkability: this would actually be a very easy to drink beer, but the taste makes it hard for me to finish even one. the way it feels in the mouth and light bodied nature makes it great for drinking if i try to concentrate less on taste.

2.24/5  rDev -30.4%

Pale cloudy straw w/ thick white head that leaves a nice lace

Ludens cough drops is about the nicest thing that comes to mind. Not very inviting.

Slightly bitter, but overwhelmingly the flavor is of cherry cough syrup. Avoid this beer at all costs. You'd be better off going out and drinking a bottle of Robitussin

2.24/5  rDev -30.4%

My wife really enjoys this beer so I had to try it.

Serverd from a bottle, pours a nice lightly cloudy, amber color. Small head, laced glass nicely. Smells very strongly of sweet cherries, very nice... I just don't care for the taste, to me, although the cherry flavor is very evident, the hops overwhelm the beer. Mourhfeel is poor, the carbonation is too coating for me..

Don't let me turn you off from this beer, my wife ( a beer neophyte) loves it, but its just not to my liking.

2.24/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

I'm generally fine with most of the Sam Adams products, especially those that are a little out of the ordinary i.e. imperial pilsner. However, their Cherry Wheat misses the mark. The look is fine - nice, golden color with a nice white head that leaves some lacing. The smell is not so great - maraschino cherry syrup; very sweet and cloying. The taste is not so cloying, but still nothing good - too sweet when there should be some tartness. Mouthfeel is like soda bordering on harsh. Yeah, this isn't my cup of tea, but I could see people enjoying this one. It's like beer, but not. Recommendation to avoid.

2.23/5  rDev -30.7%

Appearance: Golden with lasting lace.

Smell: Fruity, nothing special.

Taste: Subtle cherry flavor, light bitterness. But all in all, it tastes like the medicine that I was forced to drink when I had a cold as a kid. I finished it on principal only.

Mouthfill: Crisp and balanced carbonation

Drinkability: For me, though there are some redeeming qualities, the taste of this beer is just not doing it for me. I won't have it again.

2.23/5  rDev -30.7%

I'm not sure I would recognize this offering as beer rather than soda in a blind test (well maybe the alcohol would tip me off, but even so). The taste is a cloying cherry punch with perhaps a dusting of wheat flour, but only a dusting. The smell reveled the one-dimensionality of this before I even had a swig. And the mouthfeel was syrupy and lightly carbonated, like a soda. Not recommended.

2.23/5  rDev -30.7%

This is a departure for me, but I was at my cousin's wedding and was feeling adventurous. Served from a 12 oz bottle.

A: One-inch head.
S: Strong cherry smell, but chemical cherries.
T: Strong medicinal flavor, like child cough syrup.
MF: The mouthfeel was the best part of this beer. It was smooth and medium bodied.
D: Low. Not impressed at all.

This won't prejudice me in the future. I will stay open.

2.22/5  rDev -31.1%

I am not the descriptive type by far, But I have tried quite a few of the samuel adams beers, And I can say I really dont feel like I am even drinking a beer when I had one of these, Chick drink comes to mind. My wife really liked it though, And turns out the neigbhor's wife likes it as well. Yet he pretty much thought the same about it.

2.21/5  rDev -31.4%

I know a lot of people that really enjoy this beer, but I can say I'm definitely not one of them. It pours very yellow, with a thin head that disappears very quickly and leaves almost no lacing. I can smell a bit of wheat, but the aroma is dominated by a thick cherry scent, almost more like a soda than a beer. The taste follows suit, with the up front chery flavor dominating every sip. For people who love a lot of fruit flavor in their beers, this would be perfect. After one of these I did not want another.

2.21/5  rDev -31.4%

12oz bottle poured into a mug. This beer pours a cloudy gold with a thick white head on top. Retention is decent, and it leaves some light lace on the glass. The only scent I can pull from this is cherry Jolly Ranchers. That's it. Overpoweringly strong. Nothing else comes through.

The body is crisp. Carbonation level is moderate-to-high. Could tame this down a bit. Flavors of tart cherry, and some thin grains. Bitterness is low. This is different. I've had some great fruit beers, but this one fell way short for me. Won't have this one again.

2.2/5  rDev -31.7%

Thanks, Erik. Split a bottle because I expected some sweetness from this thing. Poured into a wine glass from a 12oz bottle.

Pours a sunny, slightly deep amber color, complete with about two fingers worth of head. Nothing's too unfiltered with this thing, even with the alleged addition of wheat. Relatively clear, with enough bubbles gathering towards the top. Looks actually pretty lively, although I'd never expect any cherry or wheat in this thing simply by looking at it.

The aroma is where things start to get strange. Immediately, you're pelted with an enormous candied, slightly medicinal aroma that resembles a combination of cherry taffy, maraschino cherries, and, as I later realized, the chemical-y properties of Twizzlers. Can't make any grains, malts, wheat, or hops underneath this concoction. Syrupy sweet, with strange chemical candied odors. This gets progressively worse as it warms up.

The flavor is a little better, although definitely far too medicinal and candied for my own patience. There's an initial rush of grainy flavors, as well as slight thickness imparted by the wheat malts, but it soon gets a little thinned and follows with the enormous cherry flavor - this time only slightly medicinal. At first, it actually reminds me of plump, black cherries, which doesn't work too well with the thinned wheat body of the beer, but strangely quite well on its own. The cherry flavor does get progressively more medicinal and gag-inducing as it warms up, however, and manages to obfuscate the initial wheat and grain crispness that was holding the fort well. I honestly found it tough to stomach over 6oz of this.

I honestly cannot understand the widespread appeal of this. In the same manner of Twizzlers and cough syrup, this is far to sweet and cloying under longterm consumption. There's not much balance to this, and while this *could* be refreshing, it would have to be pounded to avoid the cloying sweetness from creeping up to room temperature. Really weird stuff - I actually love cherries (and krieks, even those that are sweetened), but rather than being dessert-like or robust, this tastes unusually artificial and candied. I might as well get a cheap wheat beer and fill it with homemade cherry syrup (in the same vein of Berliner Weisses). I'm starting to wonder by now if ANY wheat beer infused with fruit flavoring is worth my time. We shall see, until my palate gives up.

2.19/5  rDev -32%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Best by date of end of June. It was a slightly hazy golden yellow color. Slight carb streams and some lacing. It had an average sized white head that took a long time to settle down to a collar and wispy film coating.

The aroma was watered down cherry cough drops. Cherries dominated obviously but even then was sorta weak for a cherry beer. Beyond that not much else. Can't say that it really got me excited to drink it. The taste followed the aroma. Drop a Hall's in some water and let it dissolve and this is what you get. Not good at all. Really got bad towards the end - almost a drain pour.

Overall - disgusting. I've had some really great cherry beers but this ain't one of them. I really what to like the SA beers because Sam has done a lot for the craft beer movement but I've yet to have one that really stands out and makes me want to drink more of it. Oh well, I'll keep trying as he's earned at least me trying it and I truly hope to find a winner. Can't recommend this one. One and done for me.

2.19/5  rDev -32%

Got to try this one for the first time last night. I have to admit I was hesitant after the disaster that was the Cranberry Lambics. But I decided to give this one a shot to see if they could redeem themselves. Poured a very light pale yellow, almost completely clear it looked like, with a small fizzy white head that quickly faded and lots of champagne like carbonation.

The aroma was very light, lots of wheat and light grain here, with a touch of artificial cherry mixed in. This was pretty much the case with the flavor as well, was too light and what was there started out by tasting awfully artificial, like a generic cough drop. Really just not well put together. Virtually no aftertaste here either just did not help. Super light body with an almost seltzer like carbonation. You could drink a bunch, but would you really want to?

Overall I was not impressed. They seriously just cannot get anything done with fruit flavors anywhere near an acceptable level. I would not try this one again, as its just a waste of time for.

2.19/5  rDev -32%

Pours a nice, crisp light amber colour with a fluffy white head that has excellent retention time and leaves pillows of residue in the glass.

The aroma has wisps of wheat and grass, but this one is far and away led by the sweet smell of cherries, to the point that they become both overbearing and medicinal. Too strong for my liking.

Flavour is, unfortunately, even worse. Lack of balance once again drives cherries to the front of the mix. Wheat is certainly present but essentially left for dead behind the strong cherry taste. Once again, this one is far too medicinal to enjoy. Mouthfeel is light bodied with a bit of dryness to it and a slight touch of. you guessed it, a medicine feel to it.

I used to really, really hate this one. I pretty much still do. There's a plethora of fruit beers that I enjoy, some even with cherry flavouring, but this one just does not work on any level save for a very nice appearance. This beer needs to be seriously reworked. Stay away.

2.17/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Slightly red hue and somewhat cloudy. Has a nice head.

Smell: Artificial cherry smell that reminds me of Children Tylenol. Which I do not care for.

Taste: Strong cherry flavor. Again, I'm just not a big fan of cherries.

Mouthfeel: Mild body, but pretty thin.

Drinkability: I tried to be as objective with this beer as possible. If you like the taste of cherries, you will like this beer; if you don't, then you won't like this beer. I belong to the latter, and therefore did not care for this one.

2.16/5  rDev -32.9%

Bright gold body, slighty hazy, three fingers of off-white foam rubberish micro-micro-bubbles. Good lacing.

Cherry nose lives somewhere between Dr. Pepper and cough syrup. It's cherry, not sure if it's real. Not beery.

Mild wheat lays down a light straw bed across the tongue, followed by some Dr. Pepper. Finishes with an ultra strong cough drop taste which sucks any pleasure out with it.

Mouthfeel is ok, I guess. The finish is so off putting I'm having trouble noticing the mouthfeel.

Cough drop finish makes it difficult to desire what's left in the glass, much less more of the beer.

Mediocre wheat + Dr. Pepper + cough drop = unsatisfactory. Sam Adams does a whole lot of things right. Better than right. This is not one of them. Hell, give me the Cranberry Lambic instead.

2.15/5  rDev -33.2%

Presentation: 12oz brown glass longneck US-generic bottle, white/yellow/brown label

Appearance: hazy gold color, big white head, good lacing

Smell: cherry with minor hops in background

Taste: light body, crisp mouthfeel, some malt, strong cherry flavor, minor bitterness of hops

Notes: flavors don't mixed together well

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)