Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,138 | Hads: 3,688
2.19/5  rDev -32%

Got to try this one for the first time last night. I have to admit I was hesitant after the disaster that was the Cranberry Lambics. But I decided to give this one a shot to see if they could redeem themselves. Poured a very light pale yellow, almost completely clear it looked like, with a small fizzy white head that quickly faded and lots of champagne like carbonation.

The aroma was very light, lots of wheat and light grain here, with a touch of artificial cherry mixed in. This was pretty much the case with the flavor as well, was too light and what was there started out by tasting awfully artificial, like a generic cough drop. Really just not well put together. Virtually no aftertaste here either just did not help. Super light body with an almost seltzer like carbonation. You could drink a bunch, but would you really want to?

Overall I was not impressed. They seriously just cannot get anything done with fruit flavors anywhere near an acceptable level. I would not try this one again, as its just a waste of time for.

2.19/5  rDev -32%

Pours a nice, crisp light amber colour with a fluffy white head that has excellent retention time and leaves pillows of residue in the glass.

The aroma has wisps of wheat and grass, but this one is far and away led by the sweet smell of cherries, to the point that they become both overbearing and medicinal. Too strong for my liking.

Flavour is, unfortunately, even worse. Lack of balance once again drives cherries to the front of the mix. Wheat is certainly present but essentially left for dead behind the strong cherry taste. Once again, this one is far too medicinal to enjoy. Mouthfeel is light bodied with a bit of dryness to it and a slight touch of. you guessed it, a medicine feel to it.

I used to really, really hate this one. I pretty much still do. There's a plethora of fruit beers that I enjoy, some even with cherry flavouring, but this one just does not work on any level save for a very nice appearance. This beer needs to be seriously reworked. Stay away.

2.17/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Slightly red hue and somewhat cloudy. Has a nice head.

Smell: Artificial cherry smell that reminds me of Children Tylenol. Which I do not care for.

Taste: Strong cherry flavor. Again, I'm just not a big fan of cherries.

Mouthfeel: Mild body, but pretty thin.

Drinkability: I tried to be as objective with this beer as possible. If you like the taste of cherries, you will like this beer; if you don't, then you won't like this beer. I belong to the latter, and therefore did not care for this one.

2.16/5  rDev -32.9%

Bright gold body, slighty hazy, three fingers of off-white foam rubberish micro-micro-bubbles. Good lacing.

Cherry nose lives somewhere between Dr. Pepper and cough syrup. It's cherry, not sure if it's real. Not beery.

Mild wheat lays down a light straw bed across the tongue, followed by some Dr. Pepper. Finishes with an ultra strong cough drop taste which sucks any pleasure out with it.

Mouthfeel is ok, I guess. The finish is so off putting I'm having trouble noticing the mouthfeel.

Cough drop finish makes it difficult to desire what's left in the glass, much less more of the beer.

Mediocre wheat + Dr. Pepper + cough drop = unsatisfactory. Sam Adams does a whole lot of things right. Better than right. This is not one of them. Hell, give me the Cranberry Lambic instead.

2.15/5  rDev -33.2%

Presentation: 12oz brown glass longneck US-generic bottle, white/yellow/brown label

Appearance: hazy gold color, big white head, good lacing

Smell: cherry with minor hops in background

Taste: light body, crisp mouthfeel, some malt, strong cherry flavor, minor bitterness of hops

Notes: flavors don't mixed together well

2.12/5  rDev -34.2%

P: 12 oz., brown bottle purchased as part of the Samuel Adams Summer Styles 12-Pack.

A: Pours a rich, golden color with a creamy, two-fingered head with excellent retention, active carbonation and superior lacing.

S: Overwhelmingly cherry, like a cherry toilet puck. Hints of spice and wheat.

T: An artificial cherry flavor (think cough drop) overrides any presence of wheat malt. Notes of spice, again, overpowered by annoying cherry foundation. Finishes dry, like a cherry air freshener. Ack! Anyone for fruit subtlety?

M: Too distracted by cherry taste profile to notice.

D: Not recommended.

2.09/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours ruddy orange with a thin off-white head. Aroma is big on cherries, but rather than the normal cherry beer debate of whether it is an artificial or natural cherry character, the only question here is which cough syrup it most recalls. My choice is DayQuil. The beer has that almost stinging quality to it, making it plainly difficult to drink. Avoid.

2.09/5  rDev -35.1%

pours a hazy yellow with orange undertones, half finger of quickly disappearing white head. spotted lacing.

smell: like those chinese cherry candies. very syrupy, sticky and overpowering.

taste: fuckin disaster. twizzlers meets cherry candy meets something.

mouthfeel: its like eating jolly ranchers till you die.

2.08/5  rDev -35.4%

My first Sam Adams, and after reading the reviews of this beer evidently I bought the worst of the brand.

Poured a nice amber with a two or three-finger head which quickly dissipates to lace.

Smell was overwhelmingly cherry... not bad but some more smells to balance would be nice.

Taste was of watery cherry Nyquil, and the more you drink the worse it gets! It's a totally artificial, medicine taste.

Mouthfeel is good, just like a well-made wheat beer should.

Two of these is about all I can stomach... I won't be back!

I've heard pretty good things about Sam Adams beers, so I won't let this beer discourage me from trying the others, but this one is pretty nasty!

2.06/5  rDev -36%

I was fairly fond of this when I first started drinking, and my wife still likes it. In fact I had poured this for her before she decided to go with a mixed drink for the night, so I was stuck with it.

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. A slightly sticky looking head that leaves a bit of lacing on the glass. Color is a little orange-ish.
The smell right away is a artificial cherry syrup, like Grenadine. No other beer qualities are noted. taste is not much better. It is overly sweet with candy sugar and more syrupy cherry flavor. The is malt base that is all but washed out by the cherry flavor. Mouthfeel is syrupy and sticky.
It seems that the Cherry Wheat I remember from college tasted like a beer with a cherry finish, but now it seems to be all cherry. I will pass on this.

2.06/5  rDev -36%

A-Light orange...unimpressive head for a wheat

S-Artificial cherries....cherry cough syrup....completely uninviting...why they can't achieve a more natural cherry aroma is befuddling to me.

T-Am I sucking on a cherry cough drop or did I just drink this beer...nasty cherry cough syrup flavor...Not much else..some tartness on the finish..

M-Light side of medium...about what I'd expect for the style..

D-Not for me....If I want a cherry cough drop I'll suck on one....I think Sammy does a nice job with their beers for the most part but this one needs to be reworked or eliminated...

2.05/5  rDev -36.3%

I don't know what I was thinking giving this beer a decent review earlier. Medium amber with hint of red color. Moderately carbonated with quickly disappearing head. Syruppy sweet cherry aroma with trace of almost underfermented beer to it. Very sweet, cloying like a lollipop. Slippery mouthfeel. Tastes like a cheap soda. Skip this one.

2.04/5  rDev -36.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Apricot color with a reddish hue, produced a nice frothy head that stuck around for a while.

S - Incredible! Like fresh cherries, so strong in fact that I could almost taste them. I took in the aroma for several minutes before taking my first sip.

T - I'm not going to waste time trying to explain what profiles I could pick out, because this tastes exactly like something most people have already had, so I'll point it out. This tastes like Cherry 7-Up, and I mean exactly like it - except with alcohol. To further clarify, cherry 7-Up does not taste good when alcohol is in it, unless it's liquor of course.

M - Light bodied and a slightly overpowering bit of carbonation. Whatever cherry flavoring that is lingers as well.

D - Null for me on this one, I'm not entirely certain I can even finish one. Maybe if Cherry 7-Up is your favorite soda, and you've been dying to try an alcoholic version, this will be for you, otherwise, I do not recommend it.

2.02/5  rDev -37.3%

Someone insisted that this beer would change my opinions about Sammy Adams, I hoped it would but as usual..I'm just dissapointed that I wasted my time and money.

Starts decent with a crisp golden pour, moderate clean white head that disapates rather quickly.

Smell is strongly cherry, a bit of a chemical scent.

Taste is godawful. Robutussin and cough syrup blended with sour mash and a stinging astringent after taste.

Mouthfeel, taste aside, is decent. Carbonation is perfect. Crisp and smooth dry finish.

Drinkability is low for me. The taste was murder and I won't be touching this again if I can help it.

2.01/5  rDev -37.6%

Poured on-tap at the Stadium Tavern in Fullerton, CA. Reviewed from notes.

A- Typical Sam Adams fluffy head. Finger and a half thick. Orange color. Long retention.

S- Smells like cherry cough medicine. Very strong. Oofah.

T- I think someone just poured cough medicine into my beer. Disgusting.

M- Medium bodied and sticky.

O- Avoid unless you like adult koolaid.

2.01/5  rDev -37.6%

A: Nice golden copper color.

S: Smelled like the malt was ran over by a cherry cough drop on a hot day.

T: I didn't like it at all. I did drink the whole six pack and after the first four the last two went down ok, just not what I thought this beer would be. I was looking for a lighter and better cherry flavor.

M: good carbonation not too filling.

D: It was the longest six apck ever. I would say try it you might like it. (I didn't)

I had this beer a few months ago. Thank goodness I didn't buy it. A friend brought a six pack over to the house. Thought it was a good idea due to the fact I'm from Boston originally. Back to the beer taste horrible don't know what Sam Adams was thinking. Just not my swag at all. I am not into any fruity beer period. I like the fact the company tried an experiment, but epic fail in my opinion.

1.99/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint glass. It pours a light copper color with about one finger's worth of head that. Leaves a little lacing on the glass.

The aroma is of cherries. Sweet, tart cherries and it's too strong for my liking. Some nice wheat smells come through at the end, but it's hard to reach them through all that cherry.

Luckily, the taste is not quite as cherry-centric as the aroma, but it's still too sweet with cherry for my liking. It does have a decent wheat beer taste to it, but in my opinion it's just too sweet.

Does have a decent mouthfeel with good carbonation and the nice wheat feel to it.

I'll be the first to admit that fruit beers are not usually my thing so it would be something special for me to want to continue drinking one. I am not sure I could force myself to drink another one of these.

1.98/5  rDev -38.5%

12 oz bottle to glass. Yellow-gold hazy appearance. Smell has some wheat beer smell but the cherry aroma made me worried, kind of fake smelling. Taste was really bad for me, the cherry was very, very strong and fake for me, like anything from store labeled "black cherry flavored___ product." Maybe it's all real cherries and this is what it taskes like and it's all me, but I was turned off.

1.96/5  rDev -39.1%

Drank from the bottle, so I can't comment on looks.
It smelled strongly like cherry, maybe a hint of a wheat beer smell to it.
Tasted strongly of cherry and beer. I like cherries and I like beer, but the combination does not work for me. I found it hard to choke down.

1.96/5  rDev -39.1%

Pours a hazy yellow to orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, dark cherry, almost like a cough drop. In the taste, dry cherry and wheat notes. A fruity bite and medium to light mouthfeel, with a dry cherry fruitiness in the aftertaste. I think it is like a couple Ludens cough drops dropped in a mediocre wheat beer.

look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

I didn't really enjoy it, when I was a youth I drank to get drunk, but recently I've started drinking beer to enjoy my beer, unfortunately, I thought I would enjoy this one. Now I enjoy ales, and I thought this would be good, but unfortunately I thought it was just too much like a dry cough syrup.

1.96/5  rDev -39.1%

light orange to yellow and transluscent with thin white head. smells exactly like sour cherry cough syrup. overwhelms anything else that might be there. not good.
the flavors start of with the cough syrup and finish that way. I think it may chill out a little in the middle but I'm not sure. zingy bite of carbonation.
this is sort of sickening. I poured it down the sink.

1.96/5  rDev -39.1%

Pours a straw color; maybe a hint of pink in the edges. Minimal white head. Aroma is a bit sweet, slight cherry notes. Flavor is a light bodied American wheat with a harsh, almost sour artificial cherry flavor. It's almost overpowering, and leaves just a slight metallic tinge in the mouth. Mouthfeel is thin. Drinkability - it's been years since I tried this beer. Now I remember why.

1.93/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appears an amber orange filtered hue with a thin cream head topping it off. Aroma is full of artificial marciano cherry esque sweetness almost overbearingly cherry no balance from anyother aromas in there, just potent cherries. Taste well, in the background some malt sweetness along with the same bready Sam Adams characteristic flavor that exists in all of BBC's beers. What makes this beer near untolerable is the rush of cherry extract that becomes cloying and not drinkable or enjoyable like candy. Mouthfeel fizzy carbonation lighter bodied with slight syrupy mouthfeel to it. Drinkability pass on this gimmick cherry wheat and go find a good beer, pass on this grotesque cloying answer to wheat beer fads.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)