Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Clear and gold. The thin white head on the pour disappears quickly.
S: So much cherry that I didn't smell any of the malt. The cherry smell gives indication that the cherry taste will be artificial.
T: The cherry flavor is strong and artificial.
M: Surprisingly medium bodied and thick, almost syrupy.
D: One is enough for me.

jrnold, Jun 27, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

The color is golden-orange, and there's a bit of a haze. White head on top, which stays fairly well. The aroma is all about sweet maraschino cherries. I think I'm getting some slight metallic aromas as well, that could just be the cherries though. Either way, that aspect of the aroma isn't the most pleasing. Makes it smell artificial. The flavor shows more promise. Lots of cherries again, but backed up by a generous amount of wheaty/malty character, especially for a medium-bodied beer. Hop bitterness makes it crisp and clean. Very slightly metallic and a bit artificial tasting. But hey, better than I expected. It could use some work though.

hyuga, Mar 11, 2003
2.98/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a light reddish brown color with a bit of an off white head. Nose brings loads of cherries. Seems a bit artificial, but not too much. Taste is some more super-sweet cherries that start to get quite a bit cloying. Light caramel, crusty flavors in the background. Feel is medium with quite a bit of sugar body. Quite cloying, which really affects the drinkability.

Thorpe429, Oct 16, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Into a pint glass, pours a slightly hazy golden color, with a decent whitish head and ok stringy lacing. Nose has wheat hints, thought I picked up banana hints when colder, but now just a kind of junky cherry thing going on. Taste is similar, a decent wheat malt in front, but I just don't like the marachino cherry thing it has going on, bordering on the comical, like cough syrup or 'cherry' flouride, just isn't balanced out right, too much cherry when cold or warm, first sip and last. Mouth is probably the best thing about this beer, creamy, enough carbonation to give it a bit of spring. This is a desert beer if anything, but not one I'd buy again. Sorry Sam, not your best work.

objectivemonkey, May 18, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

A- Hazy dark straw with white head that disappears.

A- Smells like a jar of cherries

T- Slight malt profile, but the cherries really start to take over. Leaves an aftertaste of finishing a cherry capri sun cooler, or eating cherries. At first I found the cherry flavor to complement the beverage, but it begins to overwhelm.

M- Medium body with low carbonation. Leaves a sticky powdery feel in my mouth.

D- I had a six-pack a year ago and wasn't so fond of it, decided to give it another try. It seems very artificial. Though I have met people that love this brew. Perhaps if you are into cherries and want a semi-desert beer, or for someone that doesn't like beer

gpogo, May 21, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

I must say, this is a totally different brew in a glass. I reviewed this when I drank it out of the bottle. It tasted like cherry soda when I drank it out of the bottle. Now I believe I was "tasting" the aroma. It certainly smells like cherry soda, but tastes nothing like it. It pours a light copper color with a large head that quickly dissipates to a thin head-film. The smell is amazing, almondy-cherry. Tastes like almonds, hint of cherry and water. The mouthfeel is very fizzy leaving an almond aftertaste. It is light and drinkable. But then again, I really cant rate on drinkability. (I drank 1 bottle of Chimay Blue, Delerium Tremens and a bottle of Fort in 1 night!)

DouggiePhresh, Apr 08, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. Best by date notched on front label. Purchased as part of SA Harvest Collection 12-pack for $15.99 at Harris Teeter (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Dusky amber with golden edges and slightly fizzy off-white 1-finger head with average retention and thick cap of lace at the top but not much else down the glass.

S: Smells like cherry cough drops with heavy medicinal edge and light wheat tanginess but not much else

T: Also taste like a Ludens cherry cough drop with barely detectable grain, light wheat note, and mostly syrupy, medicinal cherry extract flavors with a little sour tartness in the finish. Not too great.

M: Thin with light body and light tart, drying finish and cough drop aftertaste.

D: Better than Cranberry Lambic, but that's not saying much. Should be retired from the SA lineup -- tastes like cherry cough drop soda.

argock, Oct 11, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

I was hoping to try a different selection from the Boston Beer Factory as my first review from them, but this was all the bar had. Poured a gold colour with a little cloudy & haziness sediment. Whoof, smell them cherries from a mile away. Wheat too, and a little other grain. Hey, I don't smell adjunct. I'll be damned. Tasted I'd say 3/5000 too sweet. Just a little sweeter than I thought. Had to mark points off for that. But hey, the wheat is detectable on the palate, as is a little yeast. That suited this beer. But then the cherries are detected. Hmm, didn't like it. I don't like cherries, so excuse my bias. The cherry flavour seemed a little like childrens' cough syrup. Damn. But that's okay. I still like this beer. It's crisp, a little sour/tart, and I do taste some diacetyl. An above average beer. My advice, add a little more bitterness and a little less cherries.

slitherySOB, Jun 05, 2003
2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a hazy yellow-orange color (pretty typical of wheat beers). The aroma is mostly cherry, with hardly any of that wheaty smell you get from wheat beers.

The cherry flavor is really overbearing in this beer. I commend Sam Adams on the try, but the typical flavors you expect in a wheat are not really there. I say this, and I'm not even the biggest fan of wheat beers.

This is definitely a unique flavor that seems very challenging to perfect, but I feel like a small down-tone of the cherry would make it almost too good. I would definitely recommend this for a unique taste, but there are definitely other "unique" brews out there that are more worth your try.

BeerNoobNC, Oct 07, 2011
2.96/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Blech. Fruit beers just aren't for me. However, my husband loves the crap out of this beer. To me, this tastes like a mix of bad cherry candy or cough medicine, mixed with a decent wheat beer. If the cherry flavor was a bit more subtle, I think I'd like it a lot better.

iheartmyTHO, Feb 24, 2014
2.96/5  rDev -5.4%

boogieman6, Sep 16, 2014

12oz. Longneck.
A) Pours with a big white head then slowly settles. Active upward carbonation. Gold in color with some amber tones. Slight haze. Lacing is tight and sticky.
S) Cherry aroma - authentic not artifical (maybe it is but sure smells real). Subtle malt tones.
T) For as robust as the cherry aroma is, the flavor is light. The wheat character shines through in the taste. Dry grain. Mellow malt sweetness.
M) Crisp. Light body. Dry. Slightly creamy.
D) An alright brew. There's very little about it that makes me want to keep drinking.

u2carew, Jul 05, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

12 oz. bottle, with the label notched at best before June 2014. Another new beer to me from Samuel Adams, acquired as part of a mixed six pack at the local Binny's. Expectations are average to below average based on this beer's current ratings.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a nice bright golden yellow-orange color with just over a finger of fluffy sudsy white head. Some scattered fluffy lacing. Looks very nice; I was expecting a much darker beer.

S - A touch of graininess / wheat is noticeable on the end, but the nose is mostly all artificial medicinal lollipop black cherry. It's really quite hard for me to pull out anything aside from that. Slightly musty. It's a fairly unpleasant aroma, but something keeps drawing me back to it. It seriously smells almost like a can of cheap black cherry soda.

T - The taste is quite an improvement from the nose, but it's still pretty bland. Again, the light grainy wheat presence is pleasant, but the artificial medicinal cherry is overpowering. Coarse, with an almost cinnamon like heat on the finish.

M - Coarse, dry, soda-like carbonation. Lightly grainy and wheat. Mildly sticky finish. Light-bodied, slightly high carbonation.

Overall, the cherry is clearly not very authentic in the least, and it's safe to say that it ruins what would probably be a fine wheat beer without it. One of my least favorite beers from Samuel Adams, not one I will be having again.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat ---3/5.

mfnmbvp, Mar 14, 2014
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into my trusty 0.4 liter chalice it has a nice head that dissapates quickly. Not much lacing to speak of. Pours to a rusty yellow hue. The smell is very cherry, smells like JuicyJuice cherry in fact. Taste starts with the tartness of cherry followed by a brauny wheat. Carbonation is airy. Finish is more tartness. I like the "middle" taste with wheat and hint of cherry but the front end and back end are a little too sweet. Very different. I guess it would make a great "dessert" beer. Off the wall. Something I would serve as a conversation piece but wouldn't really drink in any quantity.

mooseisloose, May 18, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured amber with a thin white head.
It smelled of sweet cherry with a background that was somewhat "off".
You can taste the cherry - not so much the wheat.
It had a stickiness to it.
I drank it - but I would rather have the Lindeman's Kriek Lambic if I wanted this style. This tasted like a cherry soda. Not bad, but nothing special. Not the best from Boston Brewery.

jwc215, May 30, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: pours a pale golden yellow color with 2” head. Slow rising carbonation bubbles are clearly visible. No lacing develops.

Smell: artificial cherry aroma is not very pleasant.

Taste: artificial cherry flavor is thankfully mild as some pear and grape sweetness, dry wheat tones, and a soft bitterness make up an uneventful fruit beer.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp and dry at the start, smooth and dry at the finish. Brief cherry filled aftertaste. Light-medium in body.

Drinkability: this beer grew very tiring on the tastebuds as the glass emptied. Select any other SA beer for a more satisfying session.

Gavage, Feb 09, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

12 oz. bottle, poured into a snifter.

A: Light amber in color, fluffy, 1 1/2" head, leaving lots and lots of great lacing.

S: Maraschino and dark cherries really dominate this, to a fault. Hints of bready malt and yeast, maybe some candied sugar. The scent is really very one-dimensional, like someone poured grenadine in it.

T: Dark cherry tartness, some maraschino sweetness--but thankfully not a lot. Sugars, malt, and yeast--all very mild and far too subtle. Again, the taste is a bit one-sided, but not as much as the scent.

M: Light, almost hollow. Like everything else here, it's neither offensive nor exceptional. It just seems like a real lack of thought and effort went into this one.

D: Easy to drink, for sure, but so is a Long Island Iced Tea. This is not the fruit-brewed beer I would reach for--there are many, many better examples out there. That being said, if someone put a bottle in front of me, I would drink it without complaint.

The BBC has yet to impress me with its fruit characteristics in any of its beers. Like the gorgeous girl at the party whose favorite song is the new Chingy single, this is darn good looking, but you wouldn't want to live with it.

BlackJeremiah, Sep 29, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

pour is a cloudy golden orange-brown with a small light beige head, and good lacing.

smell is of grenadine, and some yeast.

taste is sweet, cherry, wheat, and some malt.

overall good for a fruit beer, cherry is not overwhelming, and the wheat comes through nicely, a little too sweet though.

froghop, Oct 17, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

I got this beer in a Sam Adams mixed 12-pack.
Poured into a pilsener glass for lack of other clean glassware.
The beer looks very pretty, an light amber with burgandy overtones.
It smells decent, kind of a mix between a hefeweizen and cherry soda.
When I first took a sip of this beer, I liked it. It starts off in taste like a normal weissebier, which I love. However, with each additional sip, I felt like I was drinking Sam Adam's with a cherry Luden's cough drop in my mouth.
If you like cherry soda (think IBC Black Cherry) and Sam Adams Hefeweizen, you might like this, as it pretty much tastes like those two beverages mixed together.
This beer is refreshingly carbonated and I found it to be best when fairly cold (around 40-45F).
This could be a very good beer were it not for this artificial cherry flavor. It is very drinkable and refreshing, and wouldn't be a bad choice when trying to convert people from macros.
I couldn't drink more than a couple of these, though.

thefenst, Oct 30, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle poured into a pint.

Pours a nice bright orange with yellow notes. Big head with nice froth that dissapated after a while.

Cherry is very present and smells amazing. Slight grain smell.

Creamy and smooth on the tongue. Lively carbonation makes a good weight too. But the thing is the cherry taste was so prominate in this drink that it made me a little sick. It's like they put essience of cherry in a wheat beer and forgot the wheat. I honestly thought that this would be paired great with food.... I was wrong.

Now don't get my wrong I never had this one before and I thought it would good, I just won't drink it again. But the thing is my girlfriend loved it...

ghostmech007, May 22, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

12oz brown bottle with pry-off top. Freshness date on lable.

Pours a light amber color that is somewhat transparent. Brings out a white head that disipates with minimal lacing with poor retention. Nothing speical.

Smells of cherries, artificial cherry smell, i guess like cherry candy. The cherry aroma dominates the smell.

Taste of cherry flavoring at first along with a weak malt bite. Somehwat crisp. Minimal hopping with very, very slight bitterness that doesn't last very long. Not too balanced here, but hell, it's a fruit beer catered towards a certain target audience who probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Fairly drinkable if you can stand the flavoring.

Notes: It's a fruit beer, so some people are going to like this beer, and some people aren't. I'd say it would be a decent beer to try once, or maybe a good desert beer, or something to go along with a salad. Still for what it's trying to pull off, it does fairly well. It's a bland wheat ale that's flavored with cherries, readily available.

Hatch, Jan 23, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

Drink by 11/05, poured into a chalice.
Dr. Pepper comes to mind. That cherry flavor you find in cherry colas, or those fake processed cherries that every icecream parlor carries.
Looks pretty good, like a cloudy pale ale and a white head; laces the glass some.
The smell introduces you to the Dr. Pepper similarities... some malty sweetness can be found in there but it's overpowered by cherry flavoring.
The taste is even more so. The wheat chimes in a little bit in the flavor but mostly that Dr. Pepper impersonator thing comes through. I haven't had a cherry cola in a long time so this lights a nostalgia bulb for me.
The mouthfeel on this one fluctuates but it has one of the worst finishes I can recall in a beer. The thin body and soda-like carbonation (and some wheaty texture) save this some, but the finish is just harsh. Artificial flavor, sticks to the teeth, chewing on cardboard, something is wrong here finish to the mouthfeel.
If you keep guzzling this down you can procrastinate experiencing the finish (perhaps a beer bong candidate). Nothing else is terrifically intense so otherwise this goes down pretty easily, but reaching for another bottle just doesnt seem like a good idea.
If you like Dr. Pepper and chewing on cardboard, then this is the beer for you!

ommegangpbr, Oct 18, 2005
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured an orange/amber color with a thin white head and decent lacing. Light steady carbonation.

The smell is like a jar of marischino cherries. Not much malt or hop scent.

The taste is heavy on cherry, light on beer. Almost like carbonated cherry soda with a hop aftertaste. Some of the traditional wheat beer flavors develop with time.

The mouthfeel is average, but slightly syrupy.

This is a nice dessert beer, my second favorite fruit wheat beer, behind Abita's Purple Haze raspberry wheat. I don't think I could drink many of them in a sitting, it's a very sweet beer.

masterbruewer, Feb 29, 2004
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

Barely cloudy golden color. Big foamy head leaves good lacing behind.

Overly sweet smell, like an open jar of maraschino cherries. A little wheatiness fights its way through. Not much else.

The thing that's always bothered me about this beer is that the cherry flavor is overdone and overbearing. It comes across as very artificial, like a black cherry soda more than a fruit beer. Though they claim it's brewed with "real Michigan cherries," it just seems like they've added candied cherry juice rather than brewing with whole fruit. There's no tartness, like a cherry lambic, just sugary sweetness. A little grassy quality through the middle, with the aftertaste slowly fading into a welcome bitterness.

Feel is somewhat nice. Crisp with a medium to light body.

I just wish they'd tone it down a bit so that some other flavors had a chance to present themselves, then maybe the drinkability wouldn't suffer as much. Wheats don't seem to be this brewery's niche, though their White Ale is pretty decent.

Hoagie1973, May 11, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

Good pour. Thin but sticky head.
This beer has a good mix of cherry and wheat flavor.
There is a hint of cherry here but not balanced nor impressive.
It is however, a delicious session beer for a hot spring day. Very drinkable with a little bit of taste to keep it different.

ThaBobfather, Apr 06, 2009
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)