Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Tone

Missouri

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a clear, pale yellow. One inch head with good retention and lacing. Smells strongly of cherry flavoring (reminiscent of cough syrup). Fits the style unfortunately. There is a smooth and crisp mouth feel (unlike a thick syrup). Average carbonation levels. There is a cherry syrup flavoring that is very strong. Designated as a desert beer and that is the only way I could drink another one of these. There is an associated tartness that makes is hard to drink. Overall, not that great of a combination (cherry + beer).

01-17-2009 20:34:52 | More by Tone
WakeandBake

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

A normal golden lager type color with a medium white head that leaves some lacing. Aroma of cherry cough drops and honey, Flavor is much the same, a strong artifical cherry taste with some ok honey notes as it warms, way too sweet for me.
I loved this stuff when I first got into craft beer,but now I pass on it if possible,just too sweeet for me now I think. Love most of Sam's other stuff though.

12-07-2008 13:13:14 | More by WakeandBake
akogrady

Indiana

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

A - Pours a nice golden wheat color, short head theat rapidly fades.

S - It has a nice cherry smell on top of the wheat. Smells both sweet and rich in the cherry flavor.

T - Not very good. A low quality wheat beer covered by a hint of candy cherry flavoring. Neither one is enough to cover the other, sl they sit in an unhappy marriage on the tongue.

M - Macrolager feel. Heavy on the carbonation, light on the texture.

D - Wouldn't want more than one.

05-09-2008 19:52:10 | More by akogrady
BlackBelt5112203

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L - Deep gold color with a 1-finger white, creamy head. Pretty good retention for not that big of a head and great lacing. Tons and tons of carbonation bubbles. Very effervescent.

S - Smells like Maraschino cherries, not the natural Traverse City that the label talks about. I’m trying to pick up the wheat and hops here, but all I can get is the slightest hint of wheat malt. This thing is all cherry.

T - The taste delivers much more than the aroma. Starts of sweet with honey and cherries (real cherries this time), climbs to a spicy level of wheat malt and yeast, and finishes with flavors of earthy hops and bready malt.

F - Medium-bodied with not nearly as much carbonation as the appearance suggests, a creamy mouthfeel, and a very dry finish. Bready malt flavors linger for a little while.

O - This is an average fruit beer. It’s a average wheat beer with an average amount of cherries. It’s still pretty tasty and much better than the nose suggests, but there’s just not enough of anything here to bring it to a higher level. It’s one of the weaker beers in the Sam Adams catalogue, but definitely still drinkable.

06-06-2012 03:17:57 | More by BlackBelt5112203
panamaniac

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Very light color in the glass, after I pour it, one thing that I must admit is that the smell that came out of the glass was amazing!, very little head and minimal lacing, the taste was a little hopsy and artificial like.

Overall if you are seeking for a "liquid dessert" this might hit the spot but not something to drink the whole night.

09-05-2007 03:11:43 | More by panamaniac
mdfb79

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

From 12/26/10 notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a murky golden brown color with one finger of fluffy white head with no retention and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of very sweet cherries, wheat, bready malts, and fruity malts. Way too sweet smelling for me.

t - Tastes of sweet cherries, wheat, grain, bready malts, fruity malts, and some metallic notes. Something off here with the metallic taste.

m - Light body and high carbonation that stings the tongue.

d - Ok but too sweet in the smell and don't like the metal in the taste. Also way too carbonated. Not Sam Adams best work, wouldn't look to have this one again.

12-30-2010 15:15:51 | More by mdfb79
TTAmod

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Slightly cloudy light amber with a substantial white head. Doesn't look too shabby.

S: Smells purely like cherries.

T: Thankfully not as cherry forward as the smell. It starts off fairly cherry forward, but slowly subsides to a more husky grain and wheat taste. No hops to speak of. Kind of a weird off taste at the end.

M: Creamy. Medium-thick. A bit too full in my opinion. Hurts drinkablity.

O: I salute the creativeness of this one, but the execution is lacking. This is a cherry forward wheat beer. I think a better idea would to have a wheat beer with cherry notes. This one is too heavy on the cherries.

It's not horrible, though....

04-24-2012 03:14:26 | More by TTAmod
finepaws

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

I've been drinking this one way before I was drinking craft beers. Had it again recently, as this was the only somewhat non-macro that was offered. It was an amber color with a small straw head. It smells like cherry and wheat, but artificial like. It has a good taste for just drinking beer. It is somewhat sour like, and sweet too. Had a nice hop finish. I see why I liked it so much when I was younger, and dumber. If there's not much else to order, I would stick with this one. It's not a bad beer, just average.

07-13-2004 00:51:46 | More by finepaws
sleazo

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

A-Clear brown with a two finger head. disspates down to a nice slick of cream couloured bubbles. Lacing is minimal

S sweet cherries and not much else

T. Sweet cherries overpower any hops and malt. Not bad but it doesn't do much for me. A little more twang would do good.

M-light bodied and medium carbonaion.

D-For what it is it isn't awful but not really my cup of tea. I would like a little more than cherries

07-29-2007 16:33:09 | More by sleazo
NHGrafx

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle.

Pours a burnt orange color. There is some sediment in the bottle which when swirled up turns it to a cloudy burnt orange color. Not much of a head, but has some nice lacing.

The aroma is sweet like cherries, which seems to be the dominant aroma, can't really detect anything else in there. The cherry smell is almost artificial like candy.

Taste is interesting. There is a nice wheat flavor at the start which yields a subtle taste of cherries. There are also some malt flavors as well. The finish is a bit wheaty with some bitterness. Good mouthfeel, but maybe a bit much on the carbonation. It is very drinkable, would be good for summer.

Overall this is decent, but nothing spectacular.

09-04-2008 01:29:44 | More by NHGrafx
BetterDarker

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from 12 ounce bottle into weizen glass.

Appearance - Pale orange, slightly cloudy, thin white head, no retention

Smell - Cherries with a hint of more cherries

Taste - Bright and tart cherry, no hops, no wheat either. Cherry soda almost for flavor profile, minus the cola

Mouthfeel - Light, acidic with good carbonation

Drinkability - Very easy to consume, lawnmower or beach bum beer, i.e. great for the summer. Not sure why it's in the Fall sampler pack.

09-29-2009 03:01:25 | More by BetterDarker
Jor-El

08-21-2014 19:18:48 | More by Jor-El
Travix1516

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

I really wanted to like this beer. I enjoy wheat beer. I enjoy cherries. Sam Adams has a respected reputation. It seemed like a winning combination. In the end though it just missed the mark for me.

Appearence - What I saw was a medium to light golden hue, maybe just a little hazy.

Smell - Tart Cherries. The overriding smell I got was a very strong sense of the cherry.

Taste - This is where it derailed a bit for me. Cherry Wheat started out very smooth, with little to no bitterness to speak of. On my first taste I was optimistic, then the cherry hit me. I was expecting something along the lines of a hint of cherry, or maybe a subtle weaving of the flavor profile into the overall taste similer to what Shiner achieved with the peach notes in their Holiday Cheer offering. Instead there was a very strong cherry follow to the beer, that seemed reminiscint of cherry cough syrup. I loved the smoothness, but just can't get past strength of the cherry.

Mouthfeel - I enjoyed the way this felt on the pallet. It had a medium mouthfeel that seemed extremely well balanced. My only complaint here would be that the carbonation is just slightly more than I prefer. That is really very minor and doesn't detract from the feel at all.

Overall - Probably not a beer I will be revisiting, but given the flavor profile I'm sure there are those that will really enjoy it.

04-20-2011 03:23:21 | More by Travix1516
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a tall hefe glass. The liquid is yellow and clear with good carbonation. The Head is big and 3 fingers fluff white. As it fades it leaves a lot of well formed lace.

The smell is strong of cherries, all but hiding everything else.

The taste follows, up front lots of sweet cherries. (Being a son of Door County Wisconsin, I favor a more tart variety). Never the less. this cherry beer is full of cherry taste, However the after taste is the downfall. This one reminds me of Medicine. A very stale and nasty cherry cough medicine. This one came close to being a drain pour.

The mouthfeel is almost good, nice carbonation and a little bite but not enough to break up the thick cherry syrupiness that holds the nasty after taste on your tongue way to long.

The drinkability is not good, I will not try this offering again. MK

11-24-2006 22:18:41 | More by MuenchenerKindl
bignick

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

I am not a hhuge fan of this beer. It is definitely not of the quality as other Boston Beer offerings. The cherry smell is nice, but when I taste it, all I taste is syrup, like cough syrup. It is not the least bit complex. However, it is a drinkable beer, especially for the non-beer crowd. It is without a doubt a step up from the malternatives.

09-27-2004 06:17:54 | More by bignick
damndirtyape

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

12oz bottle (best by 05/2011) poured into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Pale amber - clear- head dissipated very fast leaving practically no foam at all. No lacing either.

Smell: Cherry smell strong but not overpowering. Indeed, there is a Michigan cherry smell to this - reminds me of the cherries available in the stands near Traverse city in the summer. But...that cherry smell is the only smell here. It reminds me a bit of a soda in a way - malts and hops are completely missing here - just the cherry smell. So knowing it for what it is - I like the cherry smell, but if this was handed to me and had to guess it was a beer by smell, I never would have guessed. I would have guessed some sort of soda or cherry sparkling water.

Taste: Sweet but not cloying cherry, and that's it. No wheat flavors, and really can't call it much of a beer. I would almost, almost, call it something more akin to a malt beverage "wine cooler" than a beer. I like cherry just fine, but I wanted a beer with more to it.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy in carbonation, again has a soda-like feel but thickness not as sticky as a soda. Sticks to the teeth a bit.

Overall / Drinkability: No, I don't see myself having this again. Too much like a cherry, um..., well, it's not a beer. I can't put my finger on it exactly. It sort of looks like one, but doesn't smell, taste, or feel like one. A weird beer and I'm not sure that I like it. I'll stick to cherry flavor well blended into a Belgian or into a cobbler or pie - not as this beer. Oh well - not everything can be great.

05-25-2011 02:48:58 | More by damndirtyape
happygnome

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

a: coudy golden amber color with eigth inch of head that dissapears fast leaving average amount of lacing
s: the cherry aroma is very strong, kind of overwhelming, I thought the sweet smell was too strong
t: the cherry flavor dominates the palate with only hints of the yeast flavor
m: light to medium bodied average carbonation

overall, this is not a beer that I will seek out again, its way too sweet in my opinion

06-08-2007 05:29:05 | More by happygnome
JayGlogovsky

08-15-2014 16:17:59 | More by JayGlogovsky
WJVII

Wisconsin

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured into a pint glass this beer was a golden color with a little cloudiness (not transparent) and had a nice 3/4 inch head that lasted for most of the glass. This has an overwhelming smell of sweet cherries. Upon my first sip I could taste the cherries I had smelled, but was surprised at the bitter bite the brew had. There was subtle hints of spice, but I could not get past the bitter taste in my mouth, not what I was expecting. It had decent carbonation and more weight than a light beer had. I cannot figure what the after taste is, but I do not like it--almost to the point of not drinking any more of the six-pack my wife bought for me to try. This is an interesting beer to try, but not one I will make any repeat purchases of.

10-24-2007 23:36:04 | More by WJVII
olfolxholme

12 oz bottle into a Paulaner Weisbier glass

A - Poured aggressively because the glass is actually designed for a .5L weisbier. Ended up with an exciting rush of bubbles that settled into about 3 fingers of frothy white head. A touch of pink, maybe. The beer itself is a surprisingly clear golden amber color. The head retention is pretty good, a thin layer lasts throughout, and there is some decent lacing.

Bottle artwork is typical Sam Adams fair. I appreciate the explanation about the cherries being local but am wary of the "natural flavors added." There's also a freshness date - best before April 2012.

S - Smells like cherries and sugary almonds... but has an artificial flavor that reminds me of medicine, or maybe cherry flavored candy... It's hard for me to decide if I really enjoy this smell or not.

T - Taste truly follows the aroma, a little fuller in the almond flavor. More medicinal. However, this profile is more enjoyable on the tongue than in the nose. (fiance felt the opposite about this point)

M - Thin and watery. I know this is listed as a fruit beer, but it's also a wheat beer. It's lacking in that department.

O - Kind of underwhelming. No need to avoid it, and if this kind of thing appeals to you I imagine it could be somebody's favorite. Definitely not mine. I wish it was better because I love fruit beers and wheat beers - this should have been a slam dunk. Oh well.

01-20-2012 03:13:22 | More by olfolxholme
beerkittycat

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance is slightly hazy golden-yellow with a lively yellowish-tan head that shows a very faint pink hue. Aroma has a very full nose of medicinal marachino cherry and buttery-sweet graham cracker crust. I'm not really detecting any hop aroma due to the marachino cherries. Taste is very similar to aroma but at least the cherry is not overpowering the malt, which is by the way not as buttery or sweet as the aroma was. Hop flavor is pretty floral here and bitterness is kept to a minimum to make this a pretty easy drinking brew. Mouthfeel is medium-light and it finishes pretty dry and crisp which helps keep this beer from becoming too cloying. Not a bad beer for a hot summer day.

08-17-2008 22:06:08 | More by beerkittycat
wcdoyle

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

White to off-white head which settled down but has good lacing. Beer itself is clear gold. There's clearly cherry in the smell and a mild honey sweetness underneath. No discernible hops on this one. Cherry's also in the taste, but unlike some other reviewers, I didn't find it overly sweet. Some honey fills in toward the end. I did expect a bit more crispness from the wheat in this beer, so that was a bit of a disappointment. I was also hoping it would be unfiltered (the yeast would add to the flavor profile.), but ah well. this is more of a honey ale than a honey wheat. Mouthfeel was soft and medium bodied with low carbonation. I'd likely turn elsewhere after drinking one of these. Compared with other S.A. beers, this is not what I expect.

07-11-2007 19:38:32 | More by wcdoyle
Liquids

Connecticut

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Before I drank beer, I remember having a roomate who raved that this was his favorite beer, and he truly missed it after having stopped drinking for a while...so I've wanted to try it, and I've stumbled across a freebie, so here goes. It's a pale color when a foamy head and is slightly cloudy due to the less-than filtered wheat style, I'm assuming. Looks good. Smells really delicious, like a fruit beer should, and was appealing to those who aren't beer purists in particular, as it smells legitimately fruity. I dug the aroma of cherry's being so strong and not seeming too artificial. The taste tough - up front its good, but right away I taste medicinal cherry cough syrup. I can't taste anything else after that, either. It's tart and not a sugar bomb, but not noticably hoppy...It's hard to want to call this a beer to be honest. You'll love it or you'll hate it as is. Not all that beer like, which is not necessarily a negative. But in taste alone (thinking of it as a desert drink), I couldn't enjoy this. Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, not watery or light-beer like, but nothing full as other wheat beers. I wouldn't drink this again honestly...unless there was absolutely nothing else around, and I imagine there would be long periods of time between sips to help me forget just how medicinal it is, only to take another sip, remember...and not come back to it for a while or put it down unfinished. YMMV, but I cant get into it. Nice try, Sam.

04-23-2007 11:27:53 | More by Liquids
Nezzy

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: Really nice pour with wheat colors and slight hint of rust and very thin lacing.

Smell: Smell is actually really good of a wheat beer with hints of the cherry coming through.

Taste: The cherry is very powerful on the first sip and to me almost too powerful. However, it ends nicely and the cherry becomes less strong in the after taste. Problem is after a while the cherry becomes pretty bitter and the bitterness gets stronger the more you drink. It's actually a little off putting.

Mouthfeel: It's not too carbonated and actually pretty smooth.

Drinkability: This is really a type of beer that must be had with food and it should be a desert. Even with that said, I found it hard to go through my whole pint because the bitterness of the beer really got to me. So it's sort of good for novelty sake, but can't see myself drinking more then one in a night.

10-09-2009 02:52:51 | More by Nezzy
jimmah120

12oz bottle with no date, came with a spring sampler

look is a red amber with a frothy head. smells strongly of bing cherries, with wheat in the background. taste follows with dry dusty wheat, white bread malt, and a slightly artificial cherry flavor. light feel, the cherry isn't cloying at all.

if this sounds good to you, you'll probably like it. it was just ok, im not a fan of the artificial cherry flavor. even though I know its brewed with real cherries, it still comes off tasting like robotussin at times. i wouldn't buy again but wouldn't turn it down.

12-30-2012 11:38:05 | More by jimmah120
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)