Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,133 | Hads: 3,670
4.62/5  rDev +43.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This has certainly got to be one of my absolute fovourites from Samuel Adams. Extremely tasty. Pours a golden orange colour with almost no head, just a thin slightly off-white haze. Laces the glass nicely. Just looks good, almost thirst quenching. The smell is very strong of cherry. There is no doubt whatsoever that there is cherry in there. The taste is divine. Alot of cherry at first, then it subsides to a maltiness which then gives way to a very nice toasted flavour. Just delicious. Medium bodied; not too heavy. The mouth feel is a bit thinner than the black motor oil porters and stouts that I typically drink. Very tasty, very smooth, not a whole lot of carbonation, very drinkable. Fantastic!!

4.62/5  rDev +43.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass
The appearance is a yellow orange with a decent foam head.
Smell is a very pleasant cherry aroma, not too strong or too light.
The taste is a refreshing combo of Wheat and cherry. I'm not a big fan of fruity beers, but, this one is by far the best I have tried.
Mouthfeel is very smooth, just the right amount of carbonation.
Very drinkable beer, perfect for that hot July day after doing some yard work or just relaxing in the summer sun. I recommend giving this one a try

4.59/5  rDev +42.5%

The pour was satisfied with a thick frothy 1" head.

The appearance was rich as you would expect from Sam.

The smell was phenominal! You could get a hint from the cherry extract that just put this right over the top in this Beer Advocate's opinion.

Taste was fantastic. I really enjoyed the hint of cherry flavor. It was certianly not overpowering.... just a hint. Just the right amount of hoppiness.

These go down real nice. I will continue to have this on my short list of beers to keep in stock.

4.58/5  rDev +42.2%

All I have to say is WOW!

This beer rocks! I am a big Sam Adams fan and love everything about the company and the beers. I'm not a big fan of Boston Lagar, just think it's OK. Summer Ale is in my opinion below average. Winter Lagar is Outstanding!!

Last but not least Cherry Wheat Ale. Yeah, CHERRY, WTF..lol But it's Sam Adams so I had to try it. Has to be one of the tastiest beers I have ever drank. Just like the other guys said, it pours a very nice head. I love the taste, smell, texture, color and just everything, even the bottle it comes in I love.

Bottom line, I highly recommend this beer. Find out who has it in stock and buy as much as you can afford.

4.57/5  rDev +41.9%

One of my first beers. It's still one I love to go back to nearly year round. It just makes me happy.

Poured in a pint glass

A- Golden with attractive lacing and a small head

S- Sweet cherries explode in the nose with a light refreshing smell. I wish I could wear the beer.

T- Wonderully sweet yet balanced. Unlike many so called fruit wheats you can clearly taste the cherries. Sweet wonderful mouthfulls of cherry balanced with a light wheat spice. Best sevred and drank ice cold. I hate to give a 5 but this is godly nectar to me, only two other beers I have ever had warrent 5's but this is one.

M- A nice coating just enough, not to much. with a decent linger.

D- I buy a six pack almost every friday. I rarely tire of it.

A beer for lovers of fruit and sweetness. Hop fans may want to look elsewhere. Sorry to gush. Great with desserts or just to add a sweet counterpart to a meal.

4.54/5  rDev +41%

So I used to think this was just OK until I took a tour at Sam Adams, my sister had given me a goodie from her law school and apparently most of the tour guides were law students they let us stay after the tour and when they "washed" out my sample glass they poured me the cherry wheat on draft and it blew my mind. It's upsetting that the stuff outside of boston comes from a diffrent brewery.

4.53/5  rDev +40.7%

Poured into standard beer glass, light head, and light amber color. Excellent aroma, refreshing and flavorful. Taste is just like the smell, great wheat base with the crisp cherry notes. The perfect ratio of beer to cherry, not to much, not to little. A great beer to have year round.

4.52/5  rDev +40.4%

A guilty pleasure, this is one of my regular favorites. Think of a fermented cherry coke without the cola, add a touch of hops and a hint of whole wheat bread. Unlike many fruit beers I've tried, this gets the cherry flavor spot on!
This is one to serve to friends , family, colleauges, strangers!

4.48/5  rDev +39.1%

I picked up a sixpack of this for the holidays. When I read the label I was really excited. I could try a wheat beer from a company I know makes decent products from high quality ingredients. I had a really good experience with the first wheat beer I tried (Blue Moon Belgian White), and it had cherry in it to boot. It sounded perfect. When I actually tried it I was kind of disappointed. This may be made with wheat, but it is definately no Belgian style White. It was almost as heavy and bitter as Regular Sam Adams Lager. Anyway, since I haven't poured one out of the bottle yet, I rated the appearance at 3. I'm sure it is probably a decent looking brew, but until I know for sure its rating will be in the middle. When I do get around to pouring one in a glass I'll edit this review. Smell is pleasant, with some fairly strong but very clean malt, and of course cherries. Taste disappointed me at first since I was expecting the cherry against a background of light citrusy wheat beer instead of the rather heavier malt flavor strong enough to be typical of the regular Sam Adams Boston Lager. Still, on repeat samplings, the cherry blends nicely with the richer sweetness of the malted wheat. It's pleasant with rather weaker hop presence than either regular Sam Adams Boston Lager, or Sam Adams Light either. (This beer pluse those two represent my entire sampling of Boston Beer Co's products at this time) Like you'd expect from this company, even the relatively bland hops in this beer are still high quality. They fit the beer and they bring only good things to it, even though the cherries really main contributors to the flavor aside from the malt. Mouthfeel is very pleasant being a bit lighter than regular Sam, very similar to Saranac Lager. Drinkability is excellent. It gets a tiny bit thick towards the end, but its thirst quenching, easier to drink than regular Sam Adams, and seems to be improve the more I sample it. And it also seems to pair well with almost anything. I've had 3 different beers with pizza, chips and dip, and buffalo wings and each time it went great with the food. In conclusion, this very pleasant and fairly unique brew that's definately worth a try.

4.45/5  rDev +38.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. In full disclosure, I will confess that I love cherries in general and cherry beer usuall receives high marks from me.

Appearance: hazy golden-orange color with some small floaties in it. Two-finger ivory head dissipated somewhat quickly but left an attractive lace.

Smell: mostly cherries but a hint of citrusy wheat aroma comes through. The cherries are nice and present but not overdone; I like it.

Taste: nice cherry flavor; there's also a nice rather dry bite toward the end as the fruit yields to the wheat. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a nice, well-integrated carbonation which yields a nice creamy texture. Great!

Drinkability: I enjoy this beer a great deal and could drink sixer after sixer of it.

4.45/5  rDev +38.2%

This is tasty lighter brew with more than a hint of the fruit within. I found it to be very popular among the not-into-beer crowd. Goes down easy on a hot summer night.

4.44/5  rDev +37.9%

After I took only a few sips, I passed this beverage around to all my friends ranting on how great this beer tasted. I couldn't believe how strong the cherry taste was. My only issue with this beer is I only had two, but couldn't imagine trying to put down a whole six pack of these in one sitting.

4.44/5  rDev +37.9%

One of the first Samuel Adams beers I ever tried, it did not fail to impress (as most Sam Adams would from then on). An unusual idea for beer I would think, cherries amongst a wheat beer proved to be a pleasant surprise. From the aroma, to the exceptional taste, right down to the craving of the next sip, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is always a recommendation I make when people are looking to dabble into new beers.

4.43/5  rDev +37.6%

Enjoy before date notched at September 07.

A- The appearance is a burnt orange, almost a dull brown. Very nice clarity. An eggshell white fluffy thick head forms, but dissipates relatively fast and settles to a long standing soap sudsy cap.

S- The smell predominately contains sweet cherries. Doesn't seem too complex.

T- has a sort of pale malt/alcohol backing I find in other Sam Adams beers, with some sweet cherry thrown in. I was cautious of a "medicinal" cherry taste as I've heard others describe in this beer, but I find the cherry to be pretty pleasant and easily drinkable. The sweet cherry gives way to a mildly tart finish.

M- A nice mouthfeel, I assume contributed by the wheat, because some of the other sam adams beers I find a little harsh on the tongue with carbonation. This is just lively enough to accompany the added body given by the wheat (though still fairly light in body).

D- No problem drinking this one, and I could see myself sessioning this a bit as well, though the cherry might be overwhelming after a couple.

4.42/5  rDev +37.3%

I poured into a pint glass to a half inch of head. It is golden and clear. It smells like maricino cherries. It has a sweet cherry taste with a solid wheat backbone. It is a great beer for enjoying after a day of weeding the garden. It really hits the spot.

"Tastes like cough syrup." - Trüb

But I say cherry cherry in your tree/jump down on the ground and make a pie with me. All right so those are obscure lyrics but this is a serious fruit beer. A wild dose of cherry extract and a toastiness that conjures up the taste of those cherry cordial cakes that come in a box of eight for $1.50. You may have foolhardy tastebuds and think otherwise and that is your right as an Orangutan-American just don't get all persnickety with me when I tell you that this is a top shelf cosmo-brew. Space helmet not included.

4.42/5  rDev +37.3%

The first time I had this was at a local restaurant and it was summer time. I was looking for a good wheat beer to go with the hogie that I ordered. The waitress said that the only one was the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I tried it and was suprised how good this one was, since I was going in blind. The cherry was there but not over powering with no after taste. This was a very smooth tasting beer. Left the mouth with a nice feeling, not to full. Enjoyed this so much that I went out the next day and bought a case. Great thirst quencher for any time of year !

4.39/5  rDev +36.3%

Poured into my Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A: Poured a bit of a cloudy amber color, but the cloudiness is normal for a wheat beer. Pretty light head that fades after a short while, not too much lacing left behind.

S: Wonderful scent of Michigan cherries makes you look forward to the taste.

T: Cherries! Not overpowering whatsoever. Certainly not anything like cough syrup, in my opinion. Also, a nice balance of hops and malt and finishes with just the right amount of bitterness.

M: Very smooth with a nice, dry finish. Full bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: Very good drinkability. You'll definitely want to have a few of these.

4.37/5  rDev +35.7%

A- This pours a hazy wheat color but also has hints of orange and even a very slight pink touch. The foam head is nice and eventually tapers down to a thin creamy topping. Moderate lacing is noticable and I can see some moderate carbonation.

S- This smells of fresh bing cherries, but not overpowering. There is also the typical citrus notes....I smell freshly squeezed lemon especially, and sweet malts, which I'm sure are being enhanced by the cherry aromas. Great!

T- This is one great tasting beer! It reminds me of eating fresh cherries on a summer day, but at the same time provides that clean, refreshing tartness that I love about wheat beers. Good malt flavors and just a hint of hop bitterness on the finish helps to round this out nicely!

M- Good creamy feel on the palate and the carbonation is modest, which really allows the flavor to come through well. This has a nice medium body and lets a person really reflect on what they are drinking.

D- I will be sure to purchase a larger quantity of this whenever I get the chance. I would love to enjoy this over an evening with friends and can foresee some good times ahead with this one! Great patio beer! I highly recommend this one for a beginner or for veterans who like something different now and again!

4.35/5  rDev +35.1%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy, mostly yellow with a pinch of orange, nice white head with really good lacing, nice carbonation.

Smell: extremely fruity, like plums , apples, and cherries

Taste: Plums, Peaches, cherries. How can it taste so fruity? It's awesome, but unbelievable. However, where's the hops? ? Can hops taste like this? Cause this is too weird for hops to taste like, even though it's really good.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, bubbly, perfect.

overall: Extremely unique, definitely a session beer, delicious, but would like to taste more malt.

4.35/5  rDev +35.1%

Great Fruit Beer. I keep buying this without the intent of getting it because I like to try many different brews. But for some reason, I really enjoy this beer. To me, its got a great summer cherry, nutty flavor that goes down easy and smooth. Great brew while cutting the grass or working in the garage etc... I like it.

4.34/5  rDev +34.8%

This is one of the first beers that got me into going outside the BMC pack. Always have a soft spot for the cherry wheat.

A - Pours orange and clear.

S - Very nice cherry smell. Also has a great wheat smell, like fresh bread.

T - Just love the taste. Sweet with cherry taste.

M - Light bodied, and not too bitter a finish. Minimal carbonation.

D - Extremely drinkable. Many an event has ended with lots of empty bottles of cherry wheat.

Just a big fan of this one.

4.34/5  rDev +34.8%

this beer is incredibly easy to drink, the taste is definately cherry, almost like luden's cough drops in beer form. which can be a plus or minus, depending on who you are. this is definately an easier drink to have but in no means is any form of a "manly man" beer, but its good, however for fruit beers i wouldnt put it in my top 10. its a good beer to try out, but after 2 the taste gets alittle too much for me.

4.34/5  rDev +34.8%

It has an orange glow to it and with a finger width or so white head. It gave off a strong aroma of cherries off the bat, and if inhaled enough for a bit, you'll finally smell the beer. Smooth going down and very very sweet to me.

This was more of a desert beer to me and my friends than anything else. It's a good beer to finish off a drinking session with buddies.

4.33/5  rDev +34.5%

This is a great tasting beer. It is sweet and mild with just the right amount of hops in this beer drinker's opinion. It reminds me of the Warrant video "Cherry Pie" for some odd reason. It goes great with cheese, pretzels, and I would imagine dessert. Highly drinkable, highly recommended.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)