1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (116) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,921 | Reviews: 1,079 | Show All Ratings:
pumarocks

4.3/5  rDev +36.9%

This is a great tasting beer. It is sweet and mild with just the right amount of hops in this beer drinker's opinion. It reminds me of the Warrant video "Cherry Pie" for some odd reason. It goes great with cheese, pretzels, and I would imagine dessert. Highly drinkable, highly recommended.

10-11-2006 19:31:25 | More by pumarocks
BrandonUB

Maryland

4.3/5  rDev +36.9%

One of my absolute favorities, as I feel that's it's rare for a beer to be made into EXACTLY what it was intended to be as much so as Cherry Wheat. The cherry taste here is just wonderful at the start, with enough carbonation to really set it off. Somehow, the Sam cherries manage to tast better than your typical cherry. The finish is stronger on the wheat flavor and is extremely clean. Almost everyone I know enjoys this, even if they aren't typically into craft beers.

11-17-2006 21:41:53 | More by BrandonUB
jayrod20

4.3/5  rDev +36.9%

this beer is incredibly easy to drink, the taste is definately cherry, almost like luden's cough drops in beer form. which can be a plus or minus, depending on who you are. this is definately an easier drink to have but in no means is any form of a "manly man" beer, but its good, however for fruit beers i wouldnt put it in my top 10. its a good beer to try out, but after 2 the taste gets alittle too much for me.

04-05-2008 05:34:42 | More by jayrod20
techtatu

4.3/5  rDev +36.9%

It has an orange glow to it and with a finger width or so white head. It gave off a strong aroma of cherries off the bat, and if inhaled enough for a bit, you'll finally smell the beer. Smooth going down and very very sweet to me.

This was more of a desert beer to me and my friends than anything else. It's a good beer to finish off a drinking session with buddies.

09-13-2008 14:54:38 | More by techtatu
Darkmagus82

4.3/5  rDev +36.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a golden color with a two finger white head. The head fades over a few minutes to give a medium amount of lacing.

Smell – Sweet cherries aromas are big and bold. They are matched with a nice bready and sugary smell which well al combined create an enjoyable cherry bread aroma.

Taste – It begins with a sweeter bready and malty flavor. This malty flavor has hints of darker frits which develop more and more as the taste advances. In the beginning there is some cherry, raisin, and plum. As the taste advances the cherry strengths at the expense f the other fruit flavors and is accompanied by a lighter brown sugar taste. At the end the big cherry with the still very present bready base leaves a clean cherry bread taste on the tongue. It a very linger and delicious end.

Mouthfeel – A slightly higher than average body thickness with a medium level of carbonation. The average carbonation is perfect as it makes it a very refreshing brew, while the body really allows those nice flavors to sit on the tongue and soak in.

Overall – With great flavor, aroma, mouthfeel and price this is one of the best fruit beers out there. It is a great balance between malt and fruit making this one fantastic and great drinking brew.

05-06-2012 00:37:39 | More by Darkmagus82
taez555

4.28/5  rDev +36.3%

Had this beer on tap at the Brewhouse at Logan Airport in Boston.

It poured a clear amber orange body with a small white head.

The nose of this beer is simply amazing. Pure fresh cherries, almost like a top notch but soft lambic. Some light caramel and hops could be smelled as well, but mostly fresh fresh soft cherries.

The taste was light to medium bodied. A soft even carbonation. Nice crisp earthy hop bitterness. The cherry flavor is present but it deffinatly takes a bit more of a backseat. A classic sort of 2 row malt taste. Light caramel tone, but just very clean and malty. The whole time with this really fresh non syrupy, but pure cherry tone.

It ends with a slight touch of bitterness complimented by a soft cherry wtih almost, dare I say, a touch of pepper.

I'm a big fan of this beer and have had it in bottle, on tap in different locations and even on tap at the brewery. The bottle is a little disapointing to be honest, but on tap this beer is simply amazing. Fresh cherries and soft clean crisp malt. An often overlooked and laughed at beer that just proves Sam Adams still makes damn good beer.

08-30-2003 07:29:15 | More by taez555
Stunner97

4.28/5  rDev +36.3%

Tried this today for the first time and was really actually impressed. It was incredible delicious and drinkable with a good cherry flavor but not grossly over powering. It was just very well balanced and smooth. Only had half of one but def wanted more then that. The smell was well lived up to in the yummy cherry tasty. A good beer which was and impressive brew in the sam adams line of beers.

02-02-2009 03:54:26 | More by Stunner97
Zeno

4.28/5  rDev +36.3%

I was never a beer drinker until my boyfriend introduced me to Cherry Wheat. This is the best beer I've ever tasted! I would say that compared to other beers that this has a very smooth taste with subtle hints of summer and an introduction to fall all mixed into one. It smells fruity but still has that distinctive smell of beer with the presence of hops giving it a rustic feel. I am now hooked on Sam Adams! Shame on me for not getting more interested in beer in college!

11-16-2013 19:16:24 | More by Zeno
Mumps

Maryland

4.25/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Smells almost overpoweringly of cherry, but personally thats fine. Nice color and head, with decent retention. The taste of the wheat beer mixed perfectly with the cherry. Alot of fruit beers taste too much of beer, not enough of fruit. This beer does a good job of balancing the two. Leaves a fine after taste, and mixes well with most kinds of foods.

05-18-2007 22:17:08 | More by Mumps
JoeyBeerBelly

4.25/5  rDev +35.4%

I first reviewed this beer back in May when it was 1st available, but I saved 2 - 12 oz bottles as they neared the 'brewery fresh taste' date of Sept. '07 and I decided to re-review it.

A - clear deep golden color with a big fluffy white head, that settled down a bit, but lasted, there was a constant flow of tiny bubbles in the glass and it left a good amount of lacing.

S - smell of cherry, as it was before, is still there, but not as over-powering.

T - strong cherry taste has toned down and now the malted wheat taste comes through, with a nice crisp finish.

M - clean. crisp, light and refreshing.

D - good drinkability, different and refreshing.

I'm glad I sat on a few of these and IMO this is a beer that should be enjoyed about a month or so before the recommended 'drink by' date.
I'm going to get a few more before the end of Summer.

07-31-2007 21:28:32 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
phichifiji00

4.23/5  rDev +34.7%

Appearance: Golden straw color. Slightly hazy. Pours a thick fluffy white head that fades slowly. Lots of lacing.

Smell: cherry extract, vanilla, cola.

Taste: cherry, biscuit finish, wheat malt, cola.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, crisp finish, smooth upfront. Good carbonation.

Overall: A very tasty beer. One of my favorite fruit beers, and one of the first beers to turn me onto craft beer. Well balanced. Drinkability is very high.

03-07-2012 06:33:16 | More by phichifiji00
MrSeth

4.22/5  rDev +34.4%

Pours with a golden body, some brownish tone and a thick light tan head. Smells gorgeous! Marzipan (sweet almondy), ripe cherry and malt. The taste follows up with sweet cherry right up front, then bready-doughy-marzipan flavors, and a bitter finish. The hops don't stick out here, allowing the sweets to come forward delightfully. I have to admit that this is already one of my favorite brews of all time. Delicious with a chicken parm sub.

03-27-2006 22:23:51 | More by MrSeth
BeerSox

4.22/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into mug

Coudy amber hue with a touch of a red tint. About a one inch off-white head which slowly settles to a foamy cap. String lacing along the glass.

Very strong cherry aromas, with not much else coming through.

Thick syrupy cherry flavor along with bits of wheat malt flavor. Bits of bitterness in the back of the mouth. Bit of a chewy feel from the medium body and the low carbonation.

This is a very enjoyable beer in my opinion, artificial flavoring or not. I guess some people find it too sweet. This one goes well after a dinner as a good dessert beer.

11-12-2006 01:19:20 | More by BeerSox
AlHam

4.22/5  rDev +34.4%

Pours clear, slighty hazy.

Smells and tastes sweet and fruity.

Generally, I do not enjoy fruit flavored beers. But this beer and Saranac's Pomegranate Wheat are the two major fruit flavored beers that do it for me. Try this underrated Sam Adams if you enjoy fruit beers.

10-22-2007 04:07:06 | More by AlHam
emptywords

Oregon

4.22/5  rDev +34.4%

Twelve ounce bottle poured into a beer glass. 6.99 for a six pack here, so can't complain too much about that.

A: golden-yellow with a tint of amber, and a good head, about two fingers, leaves moderately fast, and leaves a thin lace.

S: wheat hits your nostrils first, then you can smell the cherry undertones. Not much hops scent here, but you can faintly smell the alcohol.

T: First, you taste the wheat flavor of the beer, then after it goes down, you are left with a very pleasant cherry aftertaste.

D: light and smooth, but the fullness makes it hard to drink a lot of these in a night. Would be good for a nightcap, or just to lounge around. Reason for the 3.5 is because this beer is filling, which is to be expected from a wheat beer.

12-09-2008 18:17:34 | More by emptywords
mikeal1917

4.22/5  rDev +34.4%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat has become one of my favorite beers from tap, and every time I'm at my local Buffalo Wild Wings, its always my first choice.

Appearance- Pours well from what I could see, the bartender was in the way (probably wasn't a beeradvocate!!). The head was thin, but kept throughout glass, and had a little wisp, which common to most wheat beers.

Smell- Though artificial, I do enjoy the cherry smell that comes with the beer. Sam Adams beers are known, as least according to my palate, for their distinct smells, and I can usually pick a Sam out of a crowd. The cherry does overpower any traditional beer smell though.

Taste- Being a huge fan of wheat beers, I fell in love with this brew and I still hold in high regard among my wheat beer scale. The cherry masks any initial bitterness, and the aftertaste is calm and doesn't linger.

Mouthfeel- As with most wheat beers, a smooth drink is apparent, and the cherry only makes things easier

Drinkability- I find the first and second glasses to be sufficient for myself, because the cherry does become overwhelming as you drink more and more of it. Went extremely well with the burger and fries I had.

03-02-2009 17:14:28 | More by mikeal1917
arboristfish

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev +34.4%

This beer pours a cloudy almost copper color. The moment you open the bottle you smell cherries. The beer tastes of cherries, and a malt sweetness. The mouthfeel is a light almost medium feel to it. I would consider this a very drinkable beer. Almost like a dessert. Very balanced for using fruit.

11-16-2010 13:21:12 | More by arboristfish
RushLimbmalt

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

This is a favorite of mine that goes way back to when I first discovered good beer. It looks like a traditional wheat beer, but has a reddish tint and has little or no head. The smell of cherries invites you to drink this wonderful brew. The taste is also of cherries and a nice balance of wheat malt and just a tinge of hops. I am not usually fond of fruit beers, but this beer keeps me coming back for more. It is definitely drinkable.

11-11-2004 07:52:06 | More by RushLimbmalt
abcsofbeer

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

Poured from a bottle with Oct 06 freshness date. The color is a light orange with a good amount of rising bubbles. The head is nicely topped, off-white in color and rocky. It leaves a few rings and some specks of lace around the glass. The aroma hits you right after it is poured, from some distance away from the glass. I think it smells like a cherry pastry or cherry Coke as it is very sweet and pungeant. It does not smell at all like beer.

The taste is mostly cherry with some malts and hops in the back end. I detected a small amount of hop bitterness which rounds off the taste nicely. To me, this is a very refreshing and light tasting beer. I recommend it.

06-01-2006 13:08:26 | More by abcsofbeer
auxiliary

Rhode Island

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

appearance - Cloudy dark yellow color. Large head but settled down later on. Nice lace.

smell - A beer that smells good! I haven't smelled a beer that had a heavy sent in awhile. Most of the time you smell hints of things, and they all smell the same. This was a nice. cherry , and wheat smell.

taste - Well balance, with cheeries, wheat, and hops.

mouthfeel -Medium body, not much carbination.

drinkability - I was surprised. I thought it was going to be sweet and I wouldn't like it. I loved it. Not sure if I could drink a lot of these those. You'll laugh, but it reminds me of Captain Crunch Berry Cereal. lol

06-05-2007 23:18:53 | More by auxiliary
flatblack80

12 ounce bottle in Pilsner glass

A: Reddish hazelnut with almost no head and light lacing.

S: cherry slightly sweet. with slight lager overtone.

T: Cherry and Sam Adams Lager mix. A little hoppy. flavor stays, but in a good way.

M: Mouthfeel is thin and cherry flavor stays till the next mouthful.

D: Not the best, but for some reason I Love this beer.
Great with Spicy Wings!!!

12-07-2007 03:34:21 | More by flatblack80
RickS95

Indiana

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

First time I had this was at the Food and Wine Expo at EPCOT. I was mostly drunk by the time I had it, but even in that state, I liked the beer immediately.

The next day I went back and had it first thing. As I was completely sober, I expected a different opinion, but it was even better.

There is a definite smell of cherries, not overpowering, but very, very noticeable. My mouth didn't find the beer as strongly flavored as my nose, but it certainly finishes with a hint of cherry.

I never was a fan of sweet or fruity beers, but I liked this for its easy drinkability.

08-07-2008 17:07:42 | More by RickS95
MrSkyGuy

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

Call me crazy, but I actually found this beer pretty darn good.. perhaps I got a lucky batch? Others likened this beer to an alcoholic cherry soda.. I likened it to a beer with a good cherry head, and that's exactly what it delivered.

Smooth finish, aromatic long-lasting head. I smell the fruit, and taste the wheat.. for an $8 6-pack, I'm rating this as a solid B+ for a buy-it-anywhere SA beer.

03-15-2010 01:00:34 | More by MrSkyGuy
ronniebruner

Arizona

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

Head is pretty much nil.
Aroma is amazing with the hint of cherry, of course.
Beautiful amber color and pours well. Not quite a lambic, but similar. Easily one of the best American flavored beers Ive ever had. Sam Adams comes through yet again. Without a doubt, Boston Beer Co is the best American brewery.

12-05-2010 06:20:02 | More by ronniebruner
mvmalesci

Nevada

From bottle to glass

A: Cloudy dark orange with small off white head with a little lacing.

S: Strong cherries. Sweet in smell and enveloping...

T: Sweet cherries and wheat. Bright, fruity, with a sweet background. The wheat taste is there blended well with the cherries.

M: Clean and refreshing finish. Nice carbonation.

D: Crisp and clean.A great combination of wheat and cherries.

12-29-2010 02:02:12 | More by mvmalesci
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)