1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (116) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,921 | Reviews: 1,079 | Show All Ratings:
tj4288

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is the saddest excuse for a beer I have had to date. As soon as I popped the top I was met with a familiar smell of my grandmothers breath after a few cherry cough drops. The smell did not get better, as it poured into the pint glass, I was met with lots of different, interesting smells; cough drops, hairspray, toothpaste, gasoline and a fresh box of crayons. Appearance is also sad. With a name like Cherry "Wheat" i expected at least a finger of head... none. Dull color and few signs of anything alive inside the glass. Taste was very similar to the sore throat sprays that we all use as a last resort at 2:45 in the morning, when asprin just doesn't work, and your throat feels like its bleeding inside. Mouthfeel is also similar; I would not call this "carbonated". Maybe like a prickly, waxy, ... numbing novocaine. Drinkability; If I had to define drinkability I would describe it as the opposite of everything to do with this beer. As my mouth is screaming to keep the rancid poison drug out of my body my open-mind tells me to give it another chance. After an epic battle between my open-minded brain and my taste buds, my taste buds come out as the victor as this poison is poured down the drain.
If you are offered a sip of this beer for free, take it. Other than that... don't bother unless you are trying to turn a bad day worse.

09-11-2009 05:04:45 | More by tj4288
Stockfan42

Pours a hazy amber red body. The only thing i'm going to enjoy about this review because i've had this before and i'm pretty sure this particular bottle isn't going to change my mind. Anyway, hazy amber red body which I actually, with a white fizzy head that soon fizzles away to thin lace.

Smells like robatusin or some kind of artaficial cherry extract.

Taste's worste than it smells. I can't taste anything other than carbonated cherry flavored cough syrup. Pretty rough.

Mouthfeel sucks. Just like being forced to take some cough syrup, you scramble for a cup of water to wash your mouth out. I hate this beer. I don't throw around the work hate too often but I hate this beer. Don't ever drink this.

02-03-2011 06:31:27 | More by Stockfan42
KevinB

1.02/5  rDev -67.5%

Something is rotten in Denmark and it maybe this beer. I like Sam Adams but this offering is just simply awful.
Appearance is a reddish gamboge body with a slightly off white head.Head quickly dissipates and has barely any lacing.
Smell is a medicinal cherry, hints of malts and wheat, but is overpowered by a fake cherry scent.
Taste has a very artificial tasting quality to it, does not seem genuine and tastes like cough syrup or a spoiled jolly rancher.
Mouthfeel was a sticky, watery body with a dry aftertaste, not pleasant.
Overall this is not a very drinkable beer, it borders on alcopop, it would be nice if the good people at SA would reformulate this or remove it altogether from it's fine line of brews.

07-11-2007 02:18:16 | More by KevinB
Treath

1.08/5  rDev -65.6%

Poured into a glass mug.

A- Orange/amber color with 2 finger head that fizzles away. It looks ok.

S- Fake cherry smell, like cherry cough medicine, some alcohol. Some hops.

T- Cherry cough medicine. Nasty! Very harsh taste.

M- Medium body and good carbonation. But the taste really makes this beer not at all refreshing or crisp.

Drinkability- Horrible, I couldn't get past a few sips. Drain Pour.

O- Overall, this is a bad beer. The taste is of cherry cough medicine. I don't recommend this beer at all.

09-27-2013 19:20:45 | More by Treath
paul0311

1.1/5  rDev -65%

I'm a fan of the Samuel Adams Boston Lager. I purchased the Harvest Sampler Pack and had the displeasure of tasting the Cherry Wheat Ale.

Serving: Bottle..pint glass

Appearance: Light Amber to Gold, cloudy unfiltered look. Pours a 1 finger head of foam and quickly dissipates with no lacing what-so-ever.

Smell: Terrible, cherry additive is overwhelming.

Taste: Cherry taste is overwhelming and almost like a wine cooler..wtf

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and over carbonated, watery

Drinkability: I could down a few if I had a set of boobs, but that is not the case.

10-18-2009 20:25:11 | More by paul0311
prsguitarsr4me

1.13/5  rDev -64%

Bought this in a Sam Adams variety pack, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. I still wouldn't. I may be a little too harsh, but it just tastes too much like a cherry flavored soda for me to really enjoy it as a beer. It smells like cherry soda, too. For all I know, it may be considered a great 'fruit/vegetable beer', but I just don't dig those in general. The cherry flavor is not subtle at all, and I like when beer has subtle flavors. This tastes like cherry soda with some alcohol in it.

08-30-2008 20:27:14 | More by prsguitarsr4me
JDBeer

Mississippi

1.15/5  rDev -63.4%

The beer pours to a nice deep red color with about a one inch thick head.

The aroma is overwhelmed with a maraschino cherry smell.

The taste is bad. As an earlier reviewer noted, the taste is a mix between cherry cough syrup and a wheat beer. Unfortunately my taste buds detected more cough syrup than beer. Any of the wheat / malt in the beer is totally disguised by the cherry dominance.

The beer is anything but subtle, unfortunately unlike a great IPA where the hops make a great taste, the cherry in this beer does not.

Not recommended, but the apperance is good.

06-27-2007 00:22:05 | More by JDBeer
renekraski

Tennessee

1.2/5  rDev -61.8%

My first Sam adams, and not sure if I wanna ever try another I feel betrayed by this wannabe brew. Tastes like straight up cherry cough syrup, not like cherry soda but like cherry cough syrup. Its a real artificial bitter cherry flavor not sweet like soda but nasty bitter makes you wanna puke cherry medicine like beverage. There is no real fruit in it, its not a craft beer its not worthy of being called a beer. At $ 8 bucks for a six pack, I would not drink it if they gave it away for free. My suggestion don't buy this, you will regret it. Sam adams needs to take this one off the market, its a waste of shelfspace and makes them look bad. I am sure they make some really good stuff but this has to go.

03-20-2010 20:50:40 | More by renekraski
OregonLightning

Oregon

1.2/5  rDev -61.8%

I had high hopes for this beer. I have tasted other "flavored" beers in the past with alright to good outcomes. However this beer was undrinkable to me.

It tasted like cherry cough syrup mixed with wheat beer. Very artificial taste and smell. I bought a 6 pack because of the relatively cheap price and was looking to try something new. I had to end up giving the rest to a friend who had a similar reaction. I found it to be under-carbonated and syrupy, not pleasant at all and I certainly will not be purchasing again.

Very disappointed with Boston Brewing comp.

06-08-2011 01:34:39 | More by OregonLightning
Manosbeeroffate

Maine

1.3/5  rDev -58.6%

Sam Adams usually makes winning beers. This does NOT fall into the category. Pours a nice golden orange which is the best part of it. Smells like saccharin and those cherries you get on ice cream sundaes. Taste? Well like those candy cherries and robitussen. It's quite nasty. At least the taste doesn't linger. Mouthfeel? so what. Drinkability? Well if you close your nose and gulp it, you can finish it quickly. What pisses me off big time is that this crap is easy to find, yet the double bock is damn near impossible to find. What the hell is wrong with you people????

04-10-2006 20:35:05 | More by Manosbeeroffate
BobbyBraggot

1.3/5  rDev -58.6%

Tastes and smells like horrible cough syrup. Drain poor. Worst beer I've had in quite some time. Not worth the money to try. Harsh fake cherry flavors, and nose.
I have liked most of Sammy's offerings this year but this is a total fail. Jim Koch, must not have tasted this one as it came out of the brewery, because it's completely undrinkable.

10-27-2013 03:18:07 | More by BobbyBraggot
ibashmuck

Wisconsin

1.33/5  rDev -57.6%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. I could write this summary up in one word: cherry. Ridiculously overfruited, I can't smell or taste anything else. Very poor. Supposed to be beer with fruit added, not the other way around.

07-11-2008 19:42:10 | More by ibashmuck
padraig1775

New Mexico

1.33/5  rDev -57.6%

I am no expert but I know what I like and this beer is definitely not what I like. In appearance it is good ,nice cherry red and oakish brown blend,but beer is meant to be imbibed,not merely seen. It starts with the aroma. It smells and tastes like the cherry cough syrup my mother used to make me drink.This beer is so repulsive I am shocked that a major brewing company like sam adams(which has other beers I do like) could put something so horrible into the market. I had to ask my waitress for a different beer as I could not actually finish this beer. I was thinking maybe the bar I was at (stone face tavern ,abq NM) had served me yet another stale or spoiled beer (unfortunately a common problem with beers on tap in Albuquerque bars) but then I read a review from another guy on BA who said the same thing! Maybe I am breaking the rule of being constructive but I'm sorry there is no saving this beer or considering what the brew master was going for,this beer is nasty! I like cherries and I like beer but I would sooner drink pond scum than another sam adams cherry wheat.

04-18-2009 09:36:47 | More by padraig1775
Steaks

Kentucky

1.35/5  rDev -57%

I drank this, against my will, out of a 12 ounce bottle. This stuff is haggard. If i wanted to drink robitussin, i would go to the pharmacy and drink that. Samuel Adams beers are usually pretty decent, with some being outright tasty but this is terrible.

I'd rather drink King Cobra, good lord.

12-11-2007 09:52:37 | More by Steaks
pjohnston007

1.35/5  rDev -57%

Paul's one-line review (mini-series):

A:Slightly hazy amber-orange. Piss?
S:Fake, candy, artifical cherry. Overdone.
T:See above. Horrid candy taste throughout.
M:Duality. Thin winey cherry, thick wheat.
D:I'd be sick if I had more than one.

Overall: Not worth it. This is a Brewmaster's Collection? Whatever! This is a hobbyist experiment gone wrong, at best. I truly wish Sam Adams would take this out of what would be an outstanding Summer Variety pack. As it is, this one beer bruises the eye of their Summer pack. Boo! Sam Adams. Badly played.

05-08-2008 02:41:08 | More by pjohnston007
vote4chapman

1.38/5  rDev -56.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

This is not beer. This is why I can't buy Sam Adams' variety packs. I always end up with 3 of these nasty bastards. Sorry for that profanity...but it is appropriate here. Don't waste your money, even if you your looking for something that's a flavored brew.

02-26-2013 02:40:35 | More by vote4chapman
liquidnoise

1.4/5  rDev -55.4%

OK, this one was bad bad bad. Tastes like discount cherry soda mixed with beer, or cough drops. Sam Adams was 6 bucks a 6 pack if you bought two 6 packs, so I picked up a case of this stuff. I would have rather had spent that 6 bucks on a 40 of Old English 800. Yes, this beer is that bad. If you want something fruity, buy cider or a malt beverage like Smirnoff Ice. This beer should not exist.

05-04-2007 04:48:05 | More by liquidnoise
nrbw23

1.4/5  rDev -55.4%

A- Pours a orangeish red color with a white head that quickly goes away and leaves very little spotted lacing.

S- Tons of cherries and that's about it. The smell is very odd though almost smells like cherry 7-up and very fake.

T- Gag!! This is a Sam Adams brew!! Its terrible. So terrible I couldn't finish it and got laughed at by my wife. Again taste like cherry 7-up.

M- Light in body.

D- Not recommended at all.

07-27-2008 19:14:38 | More by nrbw23
tanzaniakate

Washington

1.4/5  rDev -55.4%

Rich mouthfeel with complex overtones. Tastes like beer at first, but then it hits you - cherry. Fake cherry. Why do they add the super-fake flavor? Okay, BS - this stuff is cough syrup. Don't bother. The only person I have known who really liked this stuff was my last boss. Let's leave it at that.

11-28-2008 02:29:18 | More by tanzaniakate
willc11

1.43/5  rDev -54.5%

Appearance: pours a nice amber with a decent head into a snifter (just bought a couple new glasses, thought I'd try them out now).

Nose: overpowering cherry syrup.

Taste: light taste with more acceptable cherry presence; finishes with bad syrup-y aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability: I am having trouble finishing just this one.

This is the first fruit beer I have had, so perhaps this style may not be for me, or there are far superior examples out there I just need to try. This just seemed like drinking seltzer with cherry flavoring.

12-31-2006 06:22:40 | More by willc11
Buildscharacter

Georgia

1.45/5  rDev -53.8%

Picture a jar of those super red Marsachio (sp?) cherrys. That's EXACTLY what this terrible beer smells like. The taste...well it's very similar to a bottle of cough syrup.

I couldn't believe that a reputable brewer like Samual Adams would produce such a terrible obnoxious tasting beer. I was very shocked. Especially because I was having it at a Sam Adams tasting. Oh well.

08-21-2005 02:45:13 | More by Buildscharacter
srrn

1.45/5  rDev -53.8%

I'm going to have to give up on fruit beers. Opening the bottle I was overwhelmed with the smell of cherry cough syrup. The pour was ok, nice hazy reddish amber color. All I could taste was artificial cough syrup cherry flavor. Mouthfeel seemed ok but this is a beer that I could not finish.

06-05-2007 13:09:36 | More by srrn
Kerin

Vermont

1.45/5  rDev -53.8%

This beer is a disaster.

A: It looks decent. Like a Boston Lager with a dense, frothy white head. It looks drinkable.

S: What. The. Fructose. It smells literally like a cherry soda.

T: It tastes, unfortunately, like cough syrup, cloyingly sweet and sickeningly artificial. I'm given to understand that real cherries are involved in the process somehow, but I can't visualize this in context with the finished product. At the very, very end of the finish there's a burst of wheaty, warm, inviting malt that I wish was the whole beer. Alas but it is not. This is beer that prisoners would drink if they were out of pruno and were bored of sodomy.

M: Syrupy. Only enhances the cloying character of the taste, though in this case "enhances" only means "makes worse."

Overall, this is a beer that I would not give to people unless I wanted never to see them again. Got two of the damned things with my SA Summer Sampler. The Kolsch and Belgian Session had better be spectacular to make me buy another 12, because the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is punishment from God.

04-21-2012 01:37:35 | More by Kerin
scottum

Vermont

1.48/5  rDev -52.9%

I was offered this at a college party. I normally don't mine fruity brews, but this is just downright aweful! Yuck!!! I taste the cherry and I taste the wheat, but why does it have to taste so bad? The balances are way off or something. Sam Adams sure messed up with this one. Side note: maybe they didn't mess up because this seems to be rather popular. People like lousy beer though.

02-23-2003 15:32:17 | More by scottum
vishneda

1.5/5  rDev -52.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Looked average in the glass. Cloudy golden with a white pillowy head.

First sip: "Hmm... that's weird".

Second sip: "Ugh... what the...."

Third sip: *Mr. Yuk face*

I only wish the flashy thing from Men In Black was real so I could use it to forget the flavor of this beer. Tastes like cherry seltzer water. Sweetness was almost invisible. Felt light and fizzy and not at all like a wheat or any kind of flavored beer I have had. It was impossible for me to drink this.

I love Sam Adams, so I hate to rag. However, I still regret this beer. To each his own.

09-21-2009 12:49:51 | More by vishneda
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)