Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
2.88/5  rDev -8%

Poured into a pint glass this beer was a golden color with a little cloudiness (not transparent) and had a nice 3/4 inch head that lasted for most of the glass. This has an overwhelming smell of sweet cherries. Upon my first sip I could taste the cherries I had smelled, but was surprised at the bitter bite the brew had. There was subtle hints of spice, but I could not get past the bitter taste in my mouth, not what I was expecting. It had decent carbonation and more weight than a light beer had. I cannot figure what the after taste is, but I do not like it--almost to the point of not drinking any more of the six-pack my wife bought for me to try. This is an interesting beer to try, but not one I will make any repeat purchases of.

WJVII, Oct 24, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -8%

12 oz bottle into a Paulaner Weisbier glass

A - Poured aggressively because the glass is actually designed for a .5L weisbier. Ended up with an exciting rush of bubbles that settled into about 3 fingers of frothy white head. A touch of pink, maybe. The beer itself is a surprisingly clear golden amber color. The head retention is pretty good, a thin layer lasts throughout, and there is some decent lacing.

Bottle artwork is typical Sam Adams fair. I appreciate the explanation about the cherries being local but am wary of the "natural flavors added." There's also a freshness date - best before April 2012.

S - Smells like cherries and sugary almonds... but has an artificial flavor that reminds me of medicine, or maybe cherry flavored candy... It's hard for me to decide if I really enjoy this smell or not.

T - Taste truly follows the aroma, a little fuller in the almond flavor. More medicinal. However, this profile is more enjoyable on the tongue than in the nose. (fiance felt the opposite about this point)

M - Thin and watery. I know this is listed as a fruit beer, but it's also a wheat beer. It's lacking in that department.

O - Kind of underwhelming. No need to avoid it, and if this kind of thing appeals to you I imagine it could be somebody's favorite. Definitely not mine. I wish it was better because I love fruit beers and wheat beers - this should have been a slam dunk. Oh well.

olfolxholme, Jan 20, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours very nicely, wheat yellow in color. Nice head and lacing, typical of SA. The smell is very appealing. It smells of cherries, but not overpoweringly so. Taste is rich and smooth, somewhat sweet. You get the cherry and wheat flavors mingling well. This is a special occasion beer, in my unsophisticated opinion. Great price for a beer of this caliber.

Rifrafboy, Mar 25, 2003
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a cloudy peachy color, and yes, I did shake it a little. It's a wheat beer, you can do that. Vibrant color despite the fog/haze/cloud. Nice. The head is snow white and half an inch thick.

Glad I like cherry...love it actually...because the nose is all sour cherry, in a very good way. Yet, it covers up any other beer-like aromas that may be waiting to bust through. It's like I'm smelling a big piece of fresh cherry taffy instead. Hard to dislike though.

Unfortunately does not taste as good as it smells. Cherry is here, but smothered by an awful plastic character, chased by a medicinal component. Wheat is detected, but it's dead on arrival -- kinda flat and kinda stale, wheat-wise. Some other fruit tastes come in, a little bit of banana, pear and peach, but they're faint. It's more like a poor-tasting soda pop than a beer. Wouldn't even get a good taste score on Soda Advocate. Can't really get much out of this beer, taste-wise. Kind of a directionless mess.

Soda-like in texture too, very bright, very effervescent, very tingly...a little much.

Despite the gripes, it's drinkable enough for me, as I like cherry and I feel like the cherry here is natural-tasting enough. It's the other traits that bother me. This really drinks more like a soda than beer.

Metalmonk, Feb 16, 2011

[Edit]
Had this last night with the fiancee and it was much better than I remembered. The smell was not as "fake" this time around and the taste was pleasant and the mouthfeel was def. better than my prior 2.5. However, drinkability wise I still would not have more than one of these in a sitting.

Appearance - When you pour the beer, it pours a hazy golden color with just a bit of head.

Smell - As someone so eloquently put it "Cherry flavored cough medicine with a little bit of malt."

Taste - Honestly, it reminds me of cherry cough drops I use to take as a child (ludens).

Mouthfeel - Overall good carbonation and medium bodied.

Drinkability - I have grown to love seasonal releases from Sam Adams but I will say this is on the bottom of my list of Sam Adams I have tried.

I bought a six pack and am trying to get rid of it. I can barely drink two of these at a time without getting a sickly taste in my mouth (as stated, they remind me of ludens cough drops which probably does not invoke the most pleasant memories hence my not liking this beer). I am very disappointed because I had high hopes for this beer. Some of my best childhood memories were spent in Michigan so when I saw they were made with Michigan cherries I was genuinely excited to try this beer. Too bad it is not what I thought it was going to be. Oh well, I guess I just have to wait for fall/winter when my favorite Sam Adam seasonals come out!

SpdKilz, Jun 12, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

I got a bottle of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat in their summer variety pack for $12.99 at Krogers, I have had this beer many times over the years, mainly when I first started to get into craft beer, I am not a big fan of this beer but since it came in their summer pack I might as well review them like the other beers in the pack, so lets see what I think about this beer now. Best by October. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and run of the mill, it should have some cherry's or something on it. It poured a nice looking golden orange color that was a little hazy and it looked the same when held to the light, it also had two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some patchy lacing. This is a good looking beer, no complaints here.

S- Wow this beer is really aromatic, I don't have to have my nose close to the glass to smell this beer, it starts off with loads of sweet cherry that have a pretty artificial aroma, it smells similar to the red syrup that is put on snow cones, with some medicinal cough syrup towards the end. After that comes some sweet wheat malts that impart a sweet and bready aroma with a real slight lemon aroma towards the end, no hops to be found. The aroma isn't that good there's just way too much artificial cherry aromas, I think it would be hard to tell the difference between this and cheap fruit juice just by the aroma.

T- The taste isn't that similar to the aroma, it's much more beer like, it starts off with a little bit of cherry flavors which isn't as artificial as it was in the aroma and is quickly followed by a good amount of wheat malts that have a higher amount of sweetness to them and impart some grainy, wheaty, and bready flavors followed by some slight doughy yeast flavors. Next comes more cherrys which are a little more artificial tasting and have some of those medicinal cough syrup flavors to them that carry on to the aftertaste with a light wheat flavor and it had a pretty light amount of bitterness. The flavor is just ok the wheat base shows up a little more but the cherrys still aren't that pleasing and they wear on me, average at best.

M- Slightly smooth, somewhat dry finish, pretty creamy, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little fizzy and slightly prickly. The mouthfeel wasn't bad, but the carbonation needed to be toned down a little.

Overall I don't like this beer and I thought that is was an average example of a Cherry Wheat beer, I can see why some people like it but to me not enough good beer qualitys shine through. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, not that smooth with the high sweetness and medicinal flavors, one is more then enough for me, there's no way I would want another. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, if looked pretty nice and had some good head retention along with a nice color. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness and the artificial cherrys in the flavor and aroma, to me they hurt this beer and were not enjoyable. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own and I hate when they throw this in their variety packs, when they do it's always my least favorite of the pack, I don't recommend this beer, there's much better fruit beers out there. I wasn't impressed with this beer and never have been, but for some reason this beer appeals to a lot of people so there's no chance of it changing anytime soon. If I am in the mood for a fruit beer, I would much rather have a Short's Soft Parade, I think it's a far superior beer. This beer just isn't for me, hope the next one I try from you guys is much better.

StoutHunter, Jun 15, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a clear, pale yellow. One inch head with good retention and lacing. Smells strongly of cherry flavoring (reminiscent of cough syrup). Fits the style unfortunately. There is a smooth and crisp mouth feel (unlike a thick syrup). Average carbonation levels. There is a cherry syrup flavoring that is very strong. Designated as a desert beer and that is the only way I could drink another one of these. There is an associated tartness that makes is hard to drink. Overall, not that great of a combination (cherry + beer).

Tone, Jan 17, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

A normal golden lager type color with a medium white head that leaves some lacing. Aroma of cherry cough drops and honey, Flavor is much the same, a strong artifical cherry taste with some ok honey notes as it warms, way too sweet for me.
I loved this stuff when I first got into craft beer,but now I pass on it if possible,just too sweeet for me now I think. Love most of Sam's other stuff though.

WakeandBake, Dec 07, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

A - Pours a nice golden wheat color, short head theat rapidly fades.

S - It has a nice cherry smell on top of the wheat. Smells both sweet and rich in the cherry flavor.

T - Not very good. A low quality wheat beer covered by a hint of candy cherry flavoring. Neither one is enough to cover the other, sl they sit in an unhappy marriage on the tongue.

M - Macrolager feel. Heavy on the carbonation, light on the texture.

D - Wouldn't want more than one.

akogrady, May 09, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L - Deep gold color with a 1-finger white, creamy head. Pretty good retention for not that big of a head and great lacing. Tons and tons of carbonation bubbles. Very effervescent.

S - Smells like Maraschino cherries, not the natural Traverse City that the label talks about. I’m trying to pick up the wheat and hops here, but all I can get is the slightest hint of wheat malt. This thing is all cherry.

T - The taste delivers much more than the aroma. Starts of sweet with honey and cherries (real cherries this time), climbs to a spicy level of wheat malt and yeast, and finishes with flavors of earthy hops and bready malt.

F - Medium-bodied with not nearly as much carbonation as the appearance suggests, a creamy mouthfeel, and a very dry finish. Bready malt flavors linger for a little while.

O - This is an average fruit beer. It’s a average wheat beer with an average amount of cherries. It’s still pretty tasty and much better than the nose suggests, but there’s just not enough of anything here to bring it to a higher level. It’s one of the weaker beers in the Sam Adams catalogue, but definitely still drinkable.

BlackBelt5112203, Jun 06, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

Very light color in the glass, after I pour it, one thing that I must admit is that the smell that came out of the glass was amazing!, very little head and minimal lacing, the taste was a little hopsy and artificial like.

Overall if you are seeking for a "liquid dessert" this might hit the spot but not something to drink the whole night.

panamaniac, Sep 05, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

From 12/26/10 notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a murky golden brown color with one finger of fluffy white head with no retention and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of very sweet cherries, wheat, bready malts, and fruity malts. Way too sweet smelling for me.

t - Tastes of sweet cherries, wheat, grain, bready malts, fruity malts, and some metallic notes. Something off here with the metallic taste.

m - Light body and high carbonation that stings the tongue.

d - Ok but too sweet in the smell and don't like the metal in the taste. Also way too carbonated. Not Sam Adams best work, wouldn't look to have this one again.

mdfb79, Dec 30, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Slightly cloudy light amber with a substantial white head. Doesn't look too shabby.

S: Smells purely like cherries.

T: Thankfully not as cherry forward as the smell. It starts off fairly cherry forward, but slowly subsides to a more husky grain and wheat taste. No hops to speak of. Kind of a weird off taste at the end.

M: Creamy. Medium-thick. A bit too full in my opinion. Hurts drinkablity.

O: I salute the creativeness of this one, but the execution is lacking. This is a cherry forward wheat beer. I think a better idea would to have a wheat beer with cherry notes. This one is too heavy on the cherries.

It's not horrible, though....

TTAmod, Apr 24, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

I've been drinking this one way before I was drinking craft beers. Had it again recently, as this was the only somewhat non-macro that was offered. It was an amber color with a small straw head. It smells like cherry and wheat, but artificial like. It has a good taste for just drinking beer. It is somewhat sour like, and sweet too. Had a nice hop finish. I see why I liked it so much when I was younger, and dumber. If there's not much else to order, I would stick with this one. It's not a bad beer, just average.

finepaws, Jul 13, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

A-Clear brown with a two finger head. disspates down to a nice slick of cream couloured bubbles. Lacing is minimal

S sweet cherries and not much else

T. Sweet cherries overpower any hops and malt. Not bad but it doesn't do much for me. A little more twang would do good.

M-light bodied and medium carbonaion.

D-For what it is it isn't awful but not really my cup of tea. I would like a little more than cherries

sleazo, Jul 29, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle.

Pours a burnt orange color. There is some sediment in the bottle which when swirled up turns it to a cloudy burnt orange color. Not much of a head, but has some nice lacing.

The aroma is sweet like cherries, which seems to be the dominant aroma, can't really detect anything else in there. The cherry smell is almost artificial like candy.

Taste is interesting. There is a nice wheat flavor at the start which yields a subtle taste of cherries. There are also some malt flavors as well. The finish is a bit wheaty with some bitterness. Good mouthfeel, but maybe a bit much on the carbonation. It is very drinkable, would be good for summer.

Overall this is decent, but nothing spectacular.

NHGrafx, Sep 04, 2008
2.91/5  rDev -7%

This beer smells delicious. Very strong scent of cherries and very strong taste of cherries. Quite refreshing but a little overpowering at times. The only thing that is not satisfactory is that the beer stains the lines at bars and whatever is put on after the Cherry Wheat ends up having a faint(old) taste of cherries. The cherry taste is delightful but a bit too boastful.

JGargano, Mar 16, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: A slightly hazy, golden-amber colored body with a massive and sticky off-white head. Great lacing.

Aroma: An overabundance of candy-like cherry. Some definite wheaty beer underneath, but the balance is out of whack.

Taste: The cherry flavor is certainly in the spotlight here and almost reminds me of cherry cough syrup. Underneath, there's a firmly subservient and very average wheat body. Sweet, but not too cloying. Lingering aftertaste of cherries.

Mouthfeel: A medium-light body with sharp carbonation.

Drinkability: If you're not put off by the strong cherry flavor, rather good drinkability.

Verdict: As wrong as it seems, there is something pleasant about the cherry flavor. However, it still seems much better suited to the candy world than the beer world. This is a very strange beer, and I find it hard to rate. All I can really say is that while I certainly don't love it, I don't absolutely hate it either. I suppose that makes it average.

BeanBone, Mar 25, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into a weizen glass.

3.25 A: Lightly hazed medium orange color. One and a half fingers of frothy white head. Retention is a bit below average and a short ring of lacing is left.

2.75 S: Smells of grenadine. That's about it. Lots and lots of grenadine. It has a pretty intense nose, but it doesn't smell a lot like beer.

2.75 T: Tastes like it smells, like they took a perfectly fine wheat beer and went nuts with the grenadine behind the bar. Hints of peppery spiciness as well.

3.75 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Light creaminess. Good here.

3.0 D: I purchased a bunch of SA beers just for the sake of reviewing them here. I wasn't expecting much, but I always wasn't expecting that BBC turned into an adult fruit drink company.

DavoleBomb, May 30, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Some things are plain intriguing. I had a sixer of Brooklyn winter ale in my hands when up-pops the sight deep in the freezers of a few cherry wheaters.

I like the idea of fruity; don't get me wrong. But not synthetic, cherry candy sort of thing. Had this been a better blend i'd perhaps give it a better score, but i think i've been fair to it.

Nice pour and nose. seems like an American Wheat to the eye, definetly with a welcoming sight. And the nose...frutti di bosco indeed, not half hidden but right out there, sort of competing with the wheat for your nose. nice.

but the flavour...no. quite simply. too confronting, and with a sort of artificial feeling "cherry concentrate" or something. too strong for me and certainly out of context with the beer. thick bodied and good wheat-bitter finish though. but i won't be buying this one again anytime soon (provided there's so many great things out here!)

Andreji, Feb 05, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into pilsner glass.

Beer is a cloudy yellow-orange, with visible effervescence. Head is cream colored and is about a centimeter thick when poured, and it maintains this thickness for a considerable amount of time. Lacing is thick and stays right where the beer leaves it.

This is definitely a cherry brew. Maraschino cherries dominate the scent, with an undertone of lemony acid underneath. Some wheat character is barely noticable.

First taste has no surprises. Cherry, cherry, cherry, with a touch of lemon and - you guessed it - the faintest touch of wheat character. Finish is kinda fizzy, with a slight bitterness that fades quickly, noticable wheat on the palate lingers. As the palate adjusts and the beer warms slightly, the beer gets a touch more sour, which helps to, but doesn't quite succeed, in shifting the cherry flavor from a childish maraschino to a more adult bing.

This beer is extremely light and fizzy. Between the carbonation and the extremely understated beeriness in favor of fruit, it is not unlike drinking a cherry cream soda.

It would seem at first that, as similar to soda as this beer is, that it would be easy to slam these all night. However, from experience I can tell you this beer loses its novelty fairly quickly. While one of these on occassion is a light and unchallenging treat, drinking more than one in a session proves a challenge.

TheMadJack, Oct 01, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

pours an orangeamber color with an ok head with ok retention

smells purely of fake cherries. I don't find the cherry smell to be very real, smells as if it's goign to taste like a cherry soda. No beer smell to be found

Taste is sweet but not in a truly cherry way (hard to detect the actual flavors). That and the wheaty stale bready taste is all this beer has to offer.

Mouthfeel is very sticky (since its quite sweet) and carbonated.
Drinkability is low, i drank three of these in a row and felt sorta sick from all the sweetness by the end. An alright brew.

pseudo, Dec 27, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Enjoyed at my friend's house last night and poured into a glass, on to the beer:

The beer is orange as peach in color with a well-retaining head. White rings of foam cling to the glass as the beer is consumed. Soft cherries dominante the aroma. The taste is also cherry dominated and very one-sided. There are faint notes of assorted nuts and hops. Good smooth mouthfeel, a little on the heavy side. Because of the latter, it is actually more of a beer to take in small doses.

My friend's mother also tried this out to, whom doesn't really drink beer outside of Bud. She said it tasted like Cherry Pepsi. I would say this could appeal to casual beer drinkers, but is a "meh" pick for veteran beer drinkers.

DoubleJ, Feb 16, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

This beer pours a yellowish-golden color with an inch of good looking foam. The aroma is heavy with fruit dominated mostly by cherries. Light wheat character on the palate with slight carbonation. The flavor is artificial cherry up front with a little tartness and a little hop bitterness at the end. A little fruity for my tastes, but at least its not overly sweet.

BeardedBoffin, Sep 24, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a giant white head with high carbonation. Golden in color, retention is great through out whole glass with some lacing .

Smells of very sweet cherries and also some light malts

Tastes very sweet cherry flavor. First thing that came to my mind was that this beer tastes similar to a tootsie pop or some other cherry flavored candy. Faint malts are also present but practically no hops can be tasted. Very watery also.

Beer was carbonated, smooth, light taste going down, but it was really watery.

This wheat beer is a little too sweet to drink on a regular occasion, would have like to taste more malts. It was too light , almost lighter than a light beer, very watery. Could drink many at a time, but i dont really have a reason to as the flavors weren't very good

angelmonster, Nov 22, 2008
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)