Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured a clear amber-gold with a 1/2 inch head that retained fairly well. Aroma was noticeable upon popping the cap, as a soda-like cherry aroma first presented itself. Upon further aromatic detction however i found the aroma to contain a bit of wheat like malt and a lot of artificial smelling cherry. The flavor is a lot better than the aroma as the cherry flavor is a lot more subdued than the aroma might let on. The flavor begins with a tight melding of cherry, carbonic bite, and dry wheaty malt. It soon segues into just malt and leaves a cereal taste almost like cheerios to linger in the mouth. The body is way too light and this beer could use a little higher mash temperature. The drinkability is quite subjective and personally i would go for an Apricot ale from Pyramid instead of another cherry wheat as it is a bit too soda-like and is definetly a beer for those who don't like beer but like alcopops.

RenoZymurgist, Oct 06, 2004
2.84/5  rDev -9.3%

CHIMat, Oct 13, 2014
2.84/5  rDev -9.3%

Bogdawg, Nov 02, 2014
2.85/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance is slightly hazy golden-yellow with a lively yellowish-tan head that shows a very faint pink hue. Aroma has a very full nose of medicinal marachino cherry and buttery-sweet graham cracker crust. I'm not really detecting any hop aroma due to the marachino cherries. Taste is very similar to aroma but at least the cherry is not overpowering the malt, which is by the way not as buttery or sweet as the aroma was. Hop flavor is pretty floral here and bitterness is kept to a minimum to make this a pretty easy drinking brew. Mouthfeel is medium-light and it finishes pretty dry and crisp which helps keep this beer from becoming too cloying. Not a bad beer for a hot summer day.

beerkittycat, Aug 17, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -8.9%

White to off-white head which settled down but has good lacing. Beer itself is clear gold. There's clearly cherry in the smell and a mild honey sweetness underneath. No discernible hops on this one. Cherry's also in the taste, but unlike some other reviewers, I didn't find it overly sweet. Some honey fills in toward the end. I did expect a bit more crispness from the wheat in this beer, so that was a bit of a disappointment. I was also hoping it would be unfiltered (the yeast would add to the flavor profile.), but ah well. this is more of a honey ale than a honey wheat. Mouthfeel was soft and medium bodied with low carbonation. I'd likely turn elsewhere after drinking one of these. Compared with other S.A. beers, this is not what I expect.

wcdoyle, Jul 11, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -8.9%

Before I drank beer, I remember having a roomate who raved that this was his favorite beer, and he truly missed it after having stopped drinking for a while...so I've wanted to try it, and I've stumbled across a freebie, so here goes. It's a pale color when a foamy head and is slightly cloudy due to the less-than filtered wheat style, I'm assuming. Looks good. Smells really delicious, like a fruit beer should, and was appealing to those who aren't beer purists in particular, as it smells legitimately fruity. I dug the aroma of cherry's being so strong and not seeming too artificial. The taste tough - up front its good, but right away I taste medicinal cherry cough syrup. I can't taste anything else after that, either. It's tart and not a sugar bomb, but not noticably hoppy...It's hard to want to call this a beer to be honest. You'll love it or you'll hate it as is. Not all that beer like, which is not necessarily a negative. But in taste alone (thinking of it as a desert drink), I couldn't enjoy this. Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, not watery or light-beer like, but nothing full as other wheat beers. I wouldn't drink this again honestly...unless there was absolutely nothing else around, and I imagine there would be long periods of time between sips to help me forget just how medicinal it is, only to take another sip, remember...and not come back to it for a while or put it down unfinished. YMMV, but I cant get into it. Nice try, Sam.

Liquids, Apr 23, 2007
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Really nice pour with wheat colors and slight hint of rust and very thin lacing.

Smell: Smell is actually really good of a wheat beer with hints of the cherry coming through.

Taste: The cherry is very powerful on the first sip and to me almost too powerful. However, it ends nicely and the cherry becomes less strong in the after taste. Problem is after a while the cherry becomes pretty bitter and the bitterness gets stronger the more you drink. It's actually a little off putting.

Mouthfeel: It's not too carbonated and actually pretty smooth.

Drinkability: This is really a type of beer that must be had with food and it should be a desert. Even with that said, I found it hard to go through my whole pint because the bitterness of the beer really got to me. So it's sort of good for novelty sake, but can't see myself drinking more then one in a night.

Nezzy, Oct 09, 2009

12oz bottle with no date, came with a spring sampler

look is a red amber with a frothy head. smells strongly of bing cherries, with wheat in the background. taste follows with dry dusty wheat, white bread malt, and a slightly artificial cherry flavor. light feel, the cherry isn't cloying at all.

if this sounds good to you, you'll probably like it. it was just ok, im not a fan of the artificial cherry flavor. even though I know its brewed with real cherries, it still comes off tasting like robotussin at times. i wouldn't buy again but wouldn't turn it down.

jimmah120, Dec 30, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -8.9%

This beer is a once in a while thing, I could not drink this regularly. Poured with beautiful white head. The body was hazy with large particles averagely dispursed. There was almost no carbonation and the body hue was a moderately darker golden brown. This beer is rightly named. The aroma was thick with dark cherries that overpowered almost every other scent, although there was a light yeast at the bottom. The flavor was again overpowered by dark cherries that was heavily/harshly sweet with a light bitterness towards the end. The finish was average length with a tiny amount of bread and very acidic. The palate was a medium body with a watery and creamy texture and soft carbonation.

flipshevanel, Aug 03, 2008
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - A hard pour gets me three fingers of hae that shrinks to a moderate layer. Some lacing is left on sides of the glass.

S - Even if you didn't know what was in the glass, the cherry smell gives it away. But it is also very sweet smelling. Reminds me of maraschino cherries in a jar.

T - Again the maraschino cherry image comes up again. I can't really taste any "beer" just the cherries. I am starting to think "soda" more then "beer".

M - The sweetness comes off sticky. It coats the mouth and throat. This stickiness overpowers even the carbonation.

D - If you like sweet fruity drinks, then this beer is for you. But one is all I can try. It is too sweet for me.

JMBSH, Dec 22, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -8.9%

I was with some friends and it happened to be there, so I figured, "hey, why not give it a shot".

A- Pours an orangey-golden color with a quickly dissipating head

S- The smell was the only enjoyable part of the beer. It smells like fresh cherries with a slight spicy wheat aroma.

T- Nothing special at all and not nearly as appealing as the smell. It has that "cheap lager" taste and I feel it tried to cover it with cherries. The fruity, spicy, pleasant flavors that wheat usually imparts in a beer were scarce or non-existent. Overall, it's very bland.

M- Moderate carbonation and it goes down like water.

D- It's light and drinkable, but not very refreshing and not very enjoyable.

JoeMayo, Aug 02, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: Clear and golden with thin, foamy, white head. Expected a darker color actually.

Smell: Ok Sam Adams, we get it. Cherry is way over-the-top here. Needs to be toned down a bit. Smells extremely syrupy!

Taste: IBC Cherry Cola.

Mouthfeel: Thin with a nasty aftertaste... yuck.

Drinkability: Poor taste, but not poior enough to keep me from drinking at least one more. Then again....

ThreeWiseMen, Jul 11, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -8.9%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle with a freshness date clearly stamped on the side.

Appearance: A fogy hazy gold with a fair amount of carbonation that retains a very nice lace.

Smell: A fruity aroma with a slightly cherry hint. (I expected more cherry smells here)

Taste: A tart cherry flavored brew that doesn’t let the fruit overpower everything else.

Mouth-Feel: A crisp dry mouth that finishes easy.

Drink-Ability: A refreshing fruit flavored beer.

mnesporov, Jan 23, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Cherry Wheat LOOKS great. Other than that, it's a pretty mediocre beer. It pours a nice orange/amber/brown with a good frothy head. That as I suggested, may be the best part. The smell however, is also not too bad. Nothing but pure [carbonated] cherries. Those cherries hit your taste buds pretty immediately, are very sweet, and are very prominent throughout the drink, but you're left with an almost macro after taste. And like macros, it's pretty watery and kind of weak as well. At times it almost doesn't seem like a beer.

At first I didn't think I would be able to drink many of these, however after one and a half or so and my palate getting used to the sweet cherry overload, it's not very hard to drink at all, perhaps that's because it is pretty watery and weak. With that said, it's not a bad a beer to buy at a place that only carries macros, the big imports, Sam Adams and the like, but it definitely leaves something to be desired -- something that reminds you while you're drinking "oh yeah, this is beer I'm drinking".

strangefate, Oct 11, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -8%

Poured from 12 ounce bottle into weizen glass.

Appearance - Pale orange, slightly cloudy, thin white head, no retention

Smell - Cherries with a hint of more cherries

Taste - Bright and tart cherry, no hops, no wheat either. Cherry soda almost for flavor profile, minus the cola

Mouthfeel - Light, acidic with good carbonation

Drinkability - Very easy to consume, lawnmower or beach bum beer, i.e. great for the summer. Not sure why it's in the Fall sampler pack.

BetterDarker, Sep 29, 2009

Jor-El, Aug 21, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -8%

I really wanted to like this beer. I enjoy wheat beer. I enjoy cherries. Sam Adams has a respected reputation. It seemed like a winning combination. In the end though it just missed the mark for me.

Appearence - What I saw was a medium to light golden hue, maybe just a little hazy.

Smell - Tart Cherries. The overriding smell I got was a very strong sense of the cherry.

Taste - This is where it derailed a bit for me. Cherry Wheat started out very smooth, with little to no bitterness to speak of. On my first taste I was optimistic, then the cherry hit me. I was expecting something along the lines of a hint of cherry, or maybe a subtle weaving of the flavor profile into the overall taste similer to what Shiner achieved with the peach notes in their Holiday Cheer offering. Instead there was a very strong cherry follow to the beer, that seemed reminiscint of cherry cough syrup. I loved the smoothness, but just can't get past strength of the cherry.

Mouthfeel - I enjoyed the way this felt on the pallet. It had a medium mouthfeel that seemed extremely well balanced. My only complaint here would be that the carbonation is just slightly more than I prefer. That is really very minor and doesn't detract from the feel at all.

Overall - Probably not a beer I will be revisiting, but given the flavor profile I'm sure there are those that will really enjoy it.

Travix1516, Apr 20, 2011
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a tall hefe glass. The liquid is yellow and clear with good carbonation. The Head is big and 3 fingers fluff white. As it fades it leaves a lot of well formed lace.

The smell is strong of cherries, all but hiding everything else.

The taste follows, up front lots of sweet cherries. (Being a son of Door County Wisconsin, I favor a more tart variety). Never the less. this cherry beer is full of cherry taste, However the after taste is the downfall. This one reminds me of Medicine. A very stale and nasty cherry cough medicine. This one came close to being a drain pour.

The mouthfeel is almost good, nice carbonation and a little bite but not enough to break up the thick cherry syrupiness that holds the nasty after taste on your tongue way to long.

The drinkability is not good, I will not try this offering again. MK

MuenchenerKindl, Nov 24, 2006

LaurenRJ13, Oct 22, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -8%

I am not a hhuge fan of this beer. It is definitely not of the quality as other Boston Beer offerings. The cherry smell is nice, but when I taste it, all I taste is syrup, like cough syrup. It is not the least bit complex. However, it is a drinkable beer, especially for the non-beer crowd. It is without a doubt a step up from the malternatives.

bignick, Sep 27, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -8%

12oz bottle (best by 05/2011) poured into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Pale amber - clear- head dissipated very fast leaving practically no foam at all. No lacing either.

Smell: Cherry smell strong but not overpowering. Indeed, there is a Michigan cherry smell to this - reminds me of the cherries available in the stands near Traverse city in the summer. But...that cherry smell is the only smell here. It reminds me a bit of a soda in a way - malts and hops are completely missing here - just the cherry smell. So knowing it for what it is - I like the cherry smell, but if this was handed to me and had to guess it was a beer by smell, I never would have guessed. I would have guessed some sort of soda or cherry sparkling water.

Taste: Sweet but not cloying cherry, and that's it. No wheat flavors, and really can't call it much of a beer. I would almost, almost, call it something more akin to a malt beverage "wine cooler" than a beer. I like cherry just fine, but I wanted a beer with more to it.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy in carbonation, again has a soda-like feel but thickness not as sticky as a soda. Sticks to the teeth a bit.

Overall / Drinkability: No, I don't see myself having this again. Too much like a cherry, um..., well, it's not a beer. I can't put my finger on it exactly. It sort of looks like one, but doesn't smell, taste, or feel like one. A weird beer and I'm not sure that I like it. I'll stick to cherry flavor well blended into a Belgian or into a cobbler or pie - not as this beer. Oh well - not everything can be great.

damndirtyape, May 25, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -8%

a: coudy golden amber color with eigth inch of head that dissapears fast leaving average amount of lacing
s: the cherry aroma is very strong, kind of overwhelming, I thought the sweet smell was too strong
t: the cherry flavor dominates the palate with only hints of the yeast flavor
m: light to medium bodied average carbonation

overall, this is not a beer that I will seek out again, its way too sweet in my opinion

happygnome, Jun 08, 2007

JayGlogovsky, Aug 15, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -8%

Poured into a pint glass this beer was a golden color with a little cloudiness (not transparent) and had a nice 3/4 inch head that lasted for most of the glass. This has an overwhelming smell of sweet cherries. Upon my first sip I could taste the cherries I had smelled, but was surprised at the bitter bite the brew had. There was subtle hints of spice, but I could not get past the bitter taste in my mouth, not what I was expecting. It had decent carbonation and more weight than a light beer had. I cannot figure what the after taste is, but I do not like it--almost to the point of not drinking any more of the six-pack my wife bought for me to try. This is an interesting beer to try, but not one I will make any repeat purchases of.

WJVII, Oct 25, 2007

12 oz bottle into a Paulaner Weisbier glass

A - Poured aggressively because the glass is actually designed for a .5L weisbier. Ended up with an exciting rush of bubbles that settled into about 3 fingers of frothy white head. A touch of pink, maybe. The beer itself is a surprisingly clear golden amber color. The head retention is pretty good, a thin layer lasts throughout, and there is some decent lacing.

Bottle artwork is typical Sam Adams fair. I appreciate the explanation about the cherries being local but am wary of the "natural flavors added." There's also a freshness date - best before April 2012.

S - Smells like cherries and sugary almonds... but has an artificial flavor that reminds me of medicine, or maybe cherry flavored candy... It's hard for me to decide if I really enjoy this smell or not.

T - Taste truly follows the aroma, a little fuller in the almond flavor. More medicinal. However, this profile is more enjoyable on the tongue than in the nose. (fiance felt the opposite about this point)

M - Thin and watery. I know this is listed as a fruit beer, but it's also a wheat beer. It's lacking in that department.

O - Kind of underwhelming. No need to avoid it, and if this kind of thing appeals to you I imagine it could be somebody's favorite. Definitely not mine. I wish it was better because I love fruit beers and wheat beers - this should have been a slam dunk. Oh well.

olfolxholme, Jan 20, 2012
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)