Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,138 | Hads: 3,689
4.15/5  rDev +28.9%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. label notched at May 2011 for best taste.

a - Pours a nice reddish/mohogany color with one finger of nice white head with a bit of lacing and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells of cherries, wheat, bread, and fruity malts. Not as over-poweringly sweet as other berry& cherry brews I've tried.

t - Tastes of cherries, wheat, grain, bread, fruits. Does not taste like a sweet, syrupy soda like some others of tried. Kind of a nice dry finish.

m - Light body and high carbonation that tickles the tongue. Refreshing...

d - Very high drinability,not too sweet. The smell does not over-power the flavor as some berry/cherry/fruity brews do. Low ABV makes it easy to have a few and continue to function. I had 2 while preparing dinner...then 2 more with dinner. This beer went suprisingly well with a roasted herb chicken(cranberry sauce on the side), roasted potatoes & mixed veggies.
Then I had one with a slice of chocolate cake...delicious!

I found Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat tobe a versatile beer. Sweet enough to function as a dessert beer, but enough of all the the other things that make a wheat beer enjoyable!

4.15/5  rDev +28.9%

I've always thought of Sam Adams as a a sort of "starter" beer. None of their brews are bland by any means, but none are truly challenging either, if you know what I mean. I'm probably making that sound like a downfall, but in truth that's not always the case. Sometimes you want something that tastes plain good, but nothing you have to think about. Most of the Sam Adams line fits that bill perfectly for me.

This particular brew I happen to enjoy quite a bit. It pours a medium golden with a medium white head. The nose is particularly good, smelling very strong of cherries and maybe a little of the wheat character as well. The first sip is very nice, clean and crisp and with a strong cherry wallop followed quickly by the tart nature of cherries along with the wheat and a nice balanced almost lager-like quality. It is very very good. The aftertaste is smooth with more of the same tones present on first sip. Mouthfeel is nice and well balanced with a sort of dry character to it. Carbonation is definatly present in a healthy dose which adds to the pleasant tone of the brew. I should note though that the cherry taste is a bit overdone, which isn't really apparent until the brew warms a bit. After warming it has a slight artifical taste to it, not horrible, but still present. When cold though I think that part of it is masked a bit. This one I'm sure won't find any love with the hopheads or those who don't like sweet beers, because this one definatly sits squarely in that category.

Overall a very nice brew, in particular it will probably one I will enjoy fairly often, especially in the warmer months.

Uncle Hamish says: "Blooie' 'ell lad, whut are ye feedin' me now? Sweet tart wa'er?"

4.16/5  rDev +29.2%

Bought a six pack from Four Seasons Liquors. The beer settles with a thin head throughout, but with no real lacing. Clear, brown-red (not too amber-like) appearance. Aromas are potent cherry flavors with some thin grain hints. Not too overpowering, just right in potency. Taste is wicked good and sweet: those cherry/grain flavors are apparent and warmly wrapped around hops and malts. Mouthfeel is basic and allows it to be crisp but a little light. Overall, a really good fruit beer from Sam Adams.

4.16/5  rDev +29.2%

This is my favorite Sam Adams brew, just beating out the Hefe Weizen. The smell of cherries hits you as soon as you pour it; it has a medium to dark red color to go along with it and there wasn't much head. It's definitely sweeter than most fruity beers I've had. I drank it with a burger, and they went surprisingly well together.

4.17/5  rDev +29.5%

First time I had this was at the Food and Wine Expo at EPCOT. I was mostly drunk by the time I had it, but even in that state, I liked the beer immediately.

The next day I went back and had it first thing. As I was completely sober, I expected a different opinion, but it was even better.

There is a definite smell of cherries, not overpowering, but very, very noticeable. My mouth didn't find the beer as strongly flavored as my nose, but it certainly finishes with a hint of cherry.

I never was a fan of sweet or fruity beers, but I liked this for its easy drinkability.

4.17/5  rDev +29.5%

Poured from a bottle with Oct 06 freshness date. The color is a light orange with a good amount of rising bubbles. The head is nicely topped, off-white in color and rocky. It leaves a few rings and some specks of lace around the glass. The aroma hits you right after it is poured, from some distance away from the glass. I think it smells like a cherry pastry or cherry Coke as it is very sweet and pungeant. It does not smell at all like beer.

The taste is mostly cherry with some malts and hops in the back end. I detected a small amount of hop bitterness which rounds off the taste nicely. To me, this is a very refreshing and light tasting beer. I recommend it.

12 ounce bottle in Pilsner glass

A: Reddish hazelnut with almost no head and light lacing.

S: cherry slightly sweet. with slight lager overtone.

T: Cherry and Sam Adams Lager mix. A little hoppy. flavor stays, but in a good way.

M: Mouthfeel is thin and cherry flavor stays till the next mouthful.

D: Not the best, but for some reason I Love this beer.
Great with Spicy Wings!!!

4.17/5  rDev +29.5%

Probably my second, or first, favorite Sam. Appearances aside, the smell and taste are out of this world. I can't sense a bit of bitterness to this ale. I am not a fan of cherries per say, but this is a flavor explosion to say the least. Reminds me a lot of a non-craft type beer with the pale appearance and drinkability/mouthfeel. can't quite place what the scent is, but I like it. Could drink six-bangers till I black out.

Highly recommended. No, really recommended.

4.19/5  rDev +30.1%

This is one of my staple summer beers since I first got the nerve to drink any beer with fruit flavoring quite a few years ago. This and #9 are my never fail fruit beers. I know these in no way compare to some of the hard core european fruit offerings, and well they shouldn't. This is closer to the mow the lawn beer and they go down so easy. The color is almost straw with a hint of copper tone. The head is fair and lively, not much lacing. The aroma is a beautiful cherry blended with a bit of cereal/wheat as one might expect. It smells crisp and it tastes much the same. A light and refreshing wash of pilsner-like flavor laced with a decided cherry sweetness. Somewhat dry but also a bit watery for a quenching libation that finishes with a tasteful tartness. Nothing very complex and easy to drink many. This is my light beer, vaguely soda-esque, but it retains it's beer integrity in my book. May be too soda like for some beer fans but it works for me.

4.2/5  rDev +30.4%

I'm surprised by the average ratings on this beer. It made me question whether or not to buy it. I was stuck between two six packs (I had to choose one or the other). I chose the cherry wheat and I was extremely happy.

Appearance: I was able to generate a nice head and there was great retention.

Smell: mainly cherries, some slight fruitiness very faint.

Taste: Tastes like marciano (sp?) cherries. Doesn't have as "wheaty" a flavor as other wheats. Starts off sweet, and then gives you a mild bitterness. It's tremendous.

Mouthfeel & drinkability: Very crisp. An easy beer to knock back a lot of.

4.2/5  rDev +30.4%

This is a favorite of mine that goes way back to when I first discovered good beer. It looks like a traditional wheat beer, but has a reddish tint and has little or no head. The smell of cherries invites you to drink this wonderful brew. The taste is also of cherries and a nice balance of wheat malt and just a tinge of hops. I am not usually fond of fruit beers, but this beer keeps me coming back for more. It is definitely drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev +30.4%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat has become one of my favorite beers from tap, and every time I'm at my local Buffalo Wild Wings, its always my first choice.

Appearance- Pours well from what I could see, the bartender was in the way (probably wasn't a beeradvocate!!). The head was thin, but kept throughout glass, and had a little wisp, which common to most wheat beers.

Smell- Though artificial, I do enjoy the cherry smell that comes with the beer. Sam Adams beers are known, as least according to my palate, for their distinct smells, and I can usually pick a Sam out of a crowd. The cherry does overpower any traditional beer smell though.

Taste- Being a huge fan of wheat beers, I fell in love with this brew and I still hold in high regard among my wheat beer scale. The cherry masks any initial bitterness, and the aftertaste is calm and doesn't linger.

Mouthfeel- As with most wheat beers, a smooth drink is apparent, and the cherry only makes things easier

Drinkability- I find the first and second glasses to be sufficient for myself, because the cherry does become overwhelming as you drink more and more of it. Went extremely well with the burger and fries I had.

4.22/5  rDev +31.1%

Call me crazy, but I actually found this beer pretty darn good.. perhaps I got a lucky batch? Others likened this beer to an alcoholic cherry soda.. I likened it to a beer with a good cherry head, and that's exactly what it delivered.

Smooth finish, aromatic long-lasting head. I smell the fruit, and taste the wheat.. for an $8 6-pack, I'm rating this as a solid B+ for a buy-it-anywhere SA beer.

4.22/5  rDev +31.1%

appearance - Cloudy dark yellow color. Large head but settled down later on. Nice lace.

smell - A beer that smells good! I haven't smelled a beer that had a heavy sent in awhile. Most of the time you smell hints of things, and they all smell the same. This was a nice. cherry , and wheat smell.

taste - Well balance, with cheeries, wheat, and hops.

mouthfeel -Medium body, not much carbination.

drinkability - I was surprised. I thought it was going to be sweet and I wouldn't like it. I loved it. Not sure if I could drink a lot of these those. You'll laugh, but it reminds me of Captain Crunch Berry Cereal. lol

4.22/5  rDev +31.1%

Pours clear, slighty hazy.

Smells and tastes sweet and fruity.

Generally, I do not enjoy fruit flavored beers. But this beer and Saranac's Pomegranate Wheat are the two major fruit flavored beers that do it for me. Try this underrated Sam Adams if you enjoy fruit beers.

4.22/5  rDev +31.1%

Twelve ounce bottle poured into a beer glass. 6.99 for a six pack here, so can't complain too much about that.

A: golden-yellow with a tint of amber, and a good head, about two fingers, leaves moderately fast, and leaves a thin lace.

S: wheat hits your nostrils first, then you can smell the cherry undertones. Not much hops scent here, but you can faintly smell the alcohol.

T: First, you taste the wheat flavor of the beer, then after it goes down, you are left with a very pleasant cherry aftertaste.

D: light and smooth, but the fullness makes it hard to drink a lot of these in a night. Would be good for a nightcap, or just to lounge around. Reason for the 3.5 is because this beer is filling, which is to be expected from a wheat beer.

4.22/5  rDev +31.1%

Pours with a golden body, some brownish tone and a thick light tan head. Smells gorgeous! Marzipan (sweet almondy), ripe cherry and malt. The taste follows up with sweet cherry right up front, then bready-doughy-marzipan flavors, and a bitter finish. The hops don't stick out here, allowing the sweets to come forward delightfully. I have to admit that this is already one of my favorite brews of all time. Delicious with a chicken parm sub.

From bottle to glass

A: Cloudy dark orange with small off white head with a little lacing.

S: Strong cherries. Sweet in smell and enveloping...

T: Sweet cherries and wheat. Bright, fruity, with a sweet background. The wheat taste is there blended well with the cherries.

M: Clean and refreshing finish. Nice carbonation.

D: Crisp and clean.A great combination of wheat and cherries.

4.23/5  rDev +31.4%

I first reviewed this beer back in May when it was 1st available, but I saved 2 - 12 oz bottles as they neared the 'brewery fresh taste' date of Sept. '07 and I decided to re-review it.

A - clear deep golden color with a big fluffy white head, that settled down a bit, but lasted, there was a constant flow of tiny bubbles in the glass and it left a good amount of lacing.

S - smell of cherry, as it was before, is still there, but not as over-powering.

T - strong cherry taste has toned down and now the malted wheat taste comes through, with a nice crisp finish.

M - clean. crisp, light and refreshing.

D - good drinkability, different and refreshing.

I'm glad I sat on a few of these and IMO this is a beer that should be enjoyed about a month or so before the recommended 'drink by' date.
I'm going to get a few more before the end of Summer.

4.23/5  rDev +31.4%

A: straw yellow toorange to amber, slight red hue.thin opaque head.

S:Cherries cherries cherries, vanilla, canied cherry.

T: Cherries upfront, creamy vanilla, like the kind you would get a cherry vanilla ice cream or soda combo. subtle bread. No hops to speak of.

F: creamy, likely oats added for this smooth silky mouthfeel.

O: This is tough for me, this beer was one of the first ones i liked when i began drinking craft so its hard to put down. This is def a gimmicky beer, no question, but it serves a purpose and for that, we thank you.

4.24/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into mug

Coudy amber hue with a touch of a red tint. About a one inch off-white head which slowly settles to a foamy cap. String lacing along the glass.

Very strong cherry aromas, with not much else coming through.

Thick syrupy cherry flavor along with bits of wheat malt flavor. Bits of bitterness in the back of the mouth. Bit of a chewy feel from the medium body and the low carbonation.

This is a very enjoyable beer in my opinion, artificial flavoring or not. I guess some people find it too sweet. This one goes well after a dinner as a good dessert beer.

4.24/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Smells almost overpoweringly of cherry, but personally thats fine. Nice color and head, with decent retention. The taste of the wheat beer mixed perfectly with the cherry. Alot of fruit beers taste too much of beer, not enough of fruit. This beer does a good job of balancing the two. Leaves a fine after taste, and mixes well with most kinds of foods.

4.24/5  rDev +31.7%

Head is pretty much nil.
Aroma is amazing with the hint of cherry, of course.
Beautiful amber color and pours well. Not quite a lambic, but similar. Easily one of the best American flavored beers Ive ever had. Sam Adams comes through yet again. Without a doubt, Boston Beer Co is the best American brewery.

4.24/5  rDev +31.7%

I was never a beer drinker until my boyfriend introduced me to Cherry Wheat. This is the best beer I've ever tasted! I would say that compared to other beers that this has a very smooth taste with subtle hints of summer and an introduction to fall all mixed into one. It smells fruity but still has that distinctive smell of beer with the presence of hops giving it a rustic feel. I am now hooked on Sam Adams! Shame on me for not getting more interested in beer in college!

4.25/5  rDev +32%

Appearance: Golden straw color. Slightly hazy. Pours a thick fluffy white head that fades slowly. Lots of lacing.

Smell: cherry extract, vanilla, cola.

Taste: cherry, biscuit finish, wheat malt, cola.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, crisp finish, smooth upfront. Good carbonation.

Overall: A very tasty beer. One of my favorite fruit beers, and one of the first beers to turn me onto craft beer. Well balanced. Drinkability is very high.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)