Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,553 | Reviews: 1,135
2.82/5  rDev -10.2%

Picked this up in a six-pack from my local store. 12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark golden hue with a two-finger head that dissipates quickly. Very minimal lacing to be found as I drink.

Smell: Smells pretty good, like wheat, malts, and cherries. The cherry smell is actually pretty overpowering. Not really picking up any other notes, though.

Taste: Not as good as it smells, that's for sure. First you taste cherries, then you taste malt/wheat with a bit of alcohol taste, and then the aftertaste is a lingering cherry. Not too appetizing.

Mouthfeel: Average to light carbonation with a medium body and a "crisp finish," as the bottle puts it.

Overall: An alright beer, not something that I'd seek out again, but if offered I wouldn't turn it down.

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a very slight hue of amber, white head that dissipated into a small cap. The smell is of a cherry bomb. Smells like a cherry cough drop, artificial. I never smelled actual cherries that were this strong before. The taste is metallic, watered down cherry NyQuil, a touch of honey. The cherry takes over the whole flavor palate. The feel is ok, its light and fairly crisp. I used to like this beer a whole lot more back in the day but after trying many more beers that are out there, this doesn't stack up. The cherry taste is too artificial and strong, should be more subtle.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a sweetwater pint glass

A-sort of a golden yellow. very small head that fell quick. can see some carbonation bubbles.

S-wow. cherries. thats about all im getting. kind of like a cough drop.

T- cherry. Im being open-minded because I dont really like cherries, but my girlfriend wanted to try it so i decided to review this. Im mostly getting sort of like a cough drop cherry flavor. A little hops.

Mf-slight creamy. on the lighter side of medium body. leaves a little after taste, nothing bad.

O-this is average. Maybe if I was a cherry person I would say different. I am being generous due to me not liking cherries. Pretty light beer. I will say they did a very good job of making a fruit beer though. One of the better ones I have had in the sense of blending the flavor with beer. Most the time it seems to taste artificial, or not mix well, or not have much of the fruit flavor.

355ml bottle poured into pint glass 29/8/12

A golden yellow with lots of bubbles that grow as they rise too a thin film that never really falls and leaves a partial ring of lace

S maraschino cherry flavored cough syrup and a little honey

T reminds me of Cherry Neo Citron poured over cereal, not as bad as it sounds but still far from good

M thin and airy, fake cherry flavor lingers for quite some time

O reminds me more of medicine then beer, drinkable but I wasen´t craving another

I normally like Sam Adams but this one was nothing too write home about, even in the sweltering heat one was enough

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

A decent 1.5 inch head that was retained nicely, had a characteristic "tangy" smell of sour cherries and malt. This beer tasted rather artificial to me... this part was hard to describe. However, it was definitely comfortable with just enough substance. Drinks like a soda, very good drinkability.

All in all, not my favorite Sam Adams, but still an okay beer. I'm not a huge fan of fruit flavored beers (unless they're lambics) so this may be slightly biased.

Do give it a try.

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

First beer reviewed out of a Sam Adams glass so I figure it should be one of their products.
Pours a nice clear light straw color with a one finger head and quickly falling lace.
Smells of wild cherry soda, with a little beer in the mix..very sweet in the nose. Tastes of fresh cherry with a mildly malty backing and a fairly bitter finish. Not muck other than cherry and slight bitterness .
Mouthfeel is light.

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle with a freshness date clearly stamped on the side.

Appearance: A fogy hazy gold with a fair amount of carbonation that retains a very nice lace.

Smell: A fruity aroma with a slightly cherry hint. (I expected more cherry smells here)

Taste: A tart cherry flavored brew that doesn’t let the fruit overpower everything else.

Mouth-Feel: A crisp dry mouth that finishes easy.

Drink-Ability: A refreshing fruit flavored beer.

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured a clear amber-gold with a 1/2 inch head that retained fairly well. Aroma was noticeable upon popping the cap, as a soda-like cherry aroma first presented itself. Upon further aromatic detction however i found the aroma to contain a bit of wheat like malt and a lot of artificial smelling cherry. The flavor is a lot better than the aroma as the cherry flavor is a lot more subdued than the aroma might let on. The flavor begins with a tight melding of cherry, carbonic bite, and dry wheaty malt. It soon segues into just malt and leaves a cereal taste almost like cheerios to linger in the mouth. The body is way too light and this beer could use a little higher mash temperature. The drinkability is quite subjective and personally i would go for an Apricot ale from Pyramid instead of another cherry wheat as it is a bit too soda-like and is definetly a beer for those who don't like beer but like alcopops.

2.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottle given me by a friend. Freshness dated for July, so should be no problems there.

Pours a cloudy light orange, maybe a little less cloudy than I tend to associate with wheat beers. Head is nice, dissipating fairly quickly but leaving plenty of lace behind.

Smell is big round sweet cherry ... almost with overtones of marzipan or almond to me, very sweet. Doesn't really grab me that much.
The taste starts with more of the same big sweet cherry (whoever called it "maraschino" pretty much nailed it.)
Then the cherry retreats for a while and gives you some nice wheaty spiciness ... then it comes back a bit for a touch of maraschino aftertaste.

The label says this is made with "real cherries and cherry flavor."
Even though I really have no idea, I'm gonna suggest that the "cherry flavor," whatever it is, is to blame here.
The sweetness here is not a flavor I associate with unsweetened, straight-from-the-tree cherries.
It's not horribly cloying ... it's just not that subtle, and maybe just a little bit Triaminic-ish in combination with the wheat.

I like and respect the Brewer-Patriot, but I really didn't find this one of his more outstanding offerings.
I give it points for appearance and mouthfeel, and on a hot summer day I suppose I could put down a couple around the barbecue. But I don't quite think Sam Adams nailed what a really good cherry wheat could be.

2.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Nice long lasting creamy head, glittering opaque orange color body. The smell is of artificial cherry, like cherry yogurt. Cherry yogourt in the taste with some peaches and hints of sourness. The mouthfeel is creamy and round, with a low carbonation. The artificial aromas and flavors are quite annoying. I wouldn't want to have another one. Then again, I don't really like cherry.

2.84/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Poured most of the beer into pint glass and then swirled to get all the sediment off the bottom of the bottle. hazy golden straw color with a touch of amber hue. 1 finger white heat doesn't stick around long. Lots of carbonation to it.

S- Huge cherry notes with wheat right behind it. Has a sweetness that is just great.

T- Has a cherry medicinal flavor to it. Like a cross between cough syrup and plastic. there used to be a candy in stores called wax bottle candies. They were an edible wax that has a juice inside. This has that waxy taste to it that is just very unappealing.

M- Feels like a medium body with good carbonation to it. Smooth on the palate.

O- If I had no taste buds this would be a wonderful beer. Great smells and mouthfeel to it, but I cannot get over that medicinal taste. Take a halls cherry cough drop and remove the menthol part of it and you come out with this beer.

2.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Smells like cherry flavored cough drops to me, but I think smell is overrated anyway. I've had plenty of excellent cheeses that smell like a marathoner's jock strap. I like the cloudy, mysterious amber color, although the head is on the thin side. And yep, it tastes like a cherry flavored wheat beer to me. The cherry flavor actually takes about a half second to hit you, and isn't overpowering like too many fruit beers, but it is still a little on the strong side. Subtlety is best with the fruit beers. A little harsh going down, but drinkable. Not my favorite, but it's still good for a quaff now and then.

2.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Auburn color with a thin light beige head. Very strong cherry aroma. There was just too much cherry in the flavor making it almost sickeningly sweet. It doesn't even taste like cherries, more like the cherry flavoring they use to make popsicles or something. I honestly didn't bother finishing the bottle. This wasn't horrible, but they really need to tone down the cherry or balance it better with more malt.

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Final 12oz from the summer mix pack.. poured into my shaped Sam Adams glass.

1" head dies leaving no lacing atop a hazy lite golden brew.

Aroma is cherry sucrets.. nothing else... smells artificial.

Flavor is the same.. cherry cough syrup.. just doesn't taste "real". Some wheat and pale malts... and some sweetness to make sure that you taste cherry and little else. Body is lite with quite a bit of carbonation.

I make no apologies on this one... it may be okay for someone who is trying to break into craft beer.. but there is waay too much cherry (artificial) flavors to be enjoyable to me.

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

White to off-white head which settled down but has good lacing. Beer itself is clear gold. There's clearly cherry in the smell and a mild honey sweetness underneath. No discernible hops on this one. Cherry's also in the taste, but unlike some other reviewers, I didn't find it overly sweet. Some honey fills in toward the end. I did expect a bit more crispness from the wheat in this beer, so that was a bit of a disappointment. I was also hoping it would be unfiltered (the yeast would add to the flavor profile.), but ah well. this is more of a honey ale than a honey wheat. Mouthfeel was soft and medium bodied with low carbonation. I'd likely turn elsewhere after drinking one of these. Compared with other S.A. beers, this is not what I expect.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle a hazy amber gold with a light white head and light lacing.

The aroma is cherries all the way. Brings back memories of the Smith Bros. cherry cough drops I had as a kid.

Taste is of bitter cherries with an even more bitter metallic finish.

Mouthfeel is light with a quite fizzy carbonation.

I'm finding it hard to get past the bitter metal taste of this beer. Definitely not going to be a favorite of mine..

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a ever so slightly hazy gold-orangish color with a one finger white head left on top. Decent head retention and wispy lacing left on the glass. The nose is cherries, cherries, cherries - maracchino cherries, and just a touch of a malt backbone to it. Taste is overwhelmingly cherry. I am definitely a fan of fruity beer, but the cherry flavoring dominates the taste to a point of distraction - perhaps because it almost an artificial cherry taste. There are slight notes of malts in this beer, but not enough to even remotely balance out the cherry. On the lighter side of medium bodied, medium to high carbonation that works well for this beer, slightly creamy with a dry finish to it. Many years ago, I had tried this beer and loved it, oh how the palate changes. This is a beer that you could have one of, anything more would be far too sweet.

2.86/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out an apricot color with a good deal of carbonation in the body and a huge, creamy head with dimples all along the top. As the head slowly recedes, it leaves thick, raised lacing on the glass. The aroma is a big punch of maraschino cherries with some backing wheatiness. Not much else. Cherry flavor tastes too artificial and with a nutrasweet like flavor. The wheat and grain come trough a bit, but the cherry flavoring is too much. Mouthfeel is kind of fulsome with barely any carbonation felt on the tongue, despite the appearance of moderate carbonation. Too flat feeling. I'll manage to finish the bottle, but it will be reminiscent of a chore.

2.86/5  rDev -8.9%

This somewhat hazy straw-colored beer has a nice dense very white head atop it. The nose is dominated by cherries, but it smells more like cherry syrup than actual cherries. Highly sweet flavor, resembling cherry cough syrup, and little else of note. Bleagh.

I was in the mood for a cherry beer, but I picked the wrong one with this offering. I love cherries and have brewed with them myself on occasion. This is not a good cherry beer, by any measurement.

2.86/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a interesting lager like yellow with a hint of red, adequate head. Actually smells like cherries, surprisingly enough. Taste is only meh. True enough, cherries are a distinct flavor along with the hops, and reasonably complex. The trouble is, for me the whole package just doesn’t do anything for me. I don’t feel the cherry taste complements the beer in any way, it just overrides it. Cheers to Sam Adams for trying an interesting brew to say the least, but nothing special here.

2.87/5  rDev -8.6%

I got a bottle of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat in their summer variety pack for $12.99 at Krogers, I have had this beer many times over the years, mainly when I first started to get into craft beer, I am not a big fan of this beer but since it came in their summer pack I might as well review them like the other beers in the pack, so lets see what I think about this beer now. Best by October. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and run of the mill, it should have some cherry's or something on it. It poured a nice looking golden orange color that was a little hazy and it looked the same when held to the light, it also had two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some patchy lacing. This is a good looking beer, no complaints here.

S- Wow this beer is really aromatic, I don't have to have my nose close to the glass to smell this beer, it starts off with loads of sweet cherry that have a pretty artificial aroma, it smells similar to the red syrup that is put on snow cones, with some medicinal cough syrup towards the end. After that comes some sweet wheat malts that impart a sweet and bready aroma with a real slight lemon aroma towards the end, no hops to be found. The aroma isn't that good there's just way too much artificial cherry aromas, I think it would be hard to tell the difference between this and cheap fruit juice just by the aroma.

T- The taste isn't that similar to the aroma, it's much more beer like, it starts off with a little bit of cherry flavors which isn't as artificial as it was in the aroma and is quickly followed by a good amount of wheat malts that have a higher amount of sweetness to them and impart some grainy, wheaty, and bready flavors followed by some slight doughy yeast flavors. Next comes more cherrys which are a little more artificial tasting and have some of those medicinal cough syrup flavors to them that carry on to the aftertaste with a light wheat flavor and it had a pretty light amount of bitterness. The flavor is just ok the wheat base shows up a little more but the cherrys still aren't that pleasing and they wear on me, average at best.

M- Slightly smooth, somewhat dry finish, pretty creamy, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little fizzy and slightly prickly. The mouthfeel wasn't bad, but the carbonation needed to be toned down a little.

Overall I don't like this beer and I thought that is was an average example of a Cherry Wheat beer, I can see why some people like it but to me not enough good beer qualitys shine through. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, not that smooth with the high sweetness and medicinal flavors, one is more then enough for me, there's no way I would want another. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, if looked pretty nice and had some good head retention along with a nice color. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness and the artificial cherrys in the flavor and aroma, to me they hurt this beer and were not enjoyable. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own and I hate when they throw this in their variety packs, when they do it's always my least favorite of the pack, I don't recommend this beer, there's much better fruit beers out there. I wasn't impressed with this beer and never have been, but for some reason this beer appeals to a lot of people so there's no chance of it changing anytime soon. If I am in the mood for a fruit beer, I would much rather have a Short's Soft Parade, I think it's a far superior beer. This beer just isn't for me, hope the next one I try from you guys is much better.

2.87/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)