Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
2.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Nice long lasting creamy head, glittering opaque orange color body. The smell is of artificial cherry, like cherry yogurt. Cherry yogourt in the taste with some peaches and hints of sourness. The mouthfeel is creamy and round, with a low carbonation. The artificial aromas and flavors are quite annoying. I wouldn't want to have another one. Then again, I don't really like cherry.

2.84/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Poured most of the beer into pint glass and then swirled to get all the sediment off the bottom of the bottle. hazy golden straw color with a touch of amber hue. 1 finger white heat doesn't stick around long. Lots of carbonation to it.

S- Huge cherry notes with wheat right behind it. Has a sweetness that is just great.

T- Has a cherry medicinal flavor to it. Like a cross between cough syrup and plastic. there used to be a candy in stores called wax bottle candies. They were an edible wax that has a juice inside. This has that waxy taste to it that is just very unappealing.

M- Feels like a medium body with good carbonation to it. Smooth on the palate.

O- If I had no taste buds this would be a wonderful beer. Great smells and mouthfeel to it, but I cannot get over that medicinal taste. Take a halls cherry cough drop and remove the menthol part of it and you come out with this beer.

2.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Smells like cherry flavored cough drops to me, but I think smell is overrated anyway. I've had plenty of excellent cheeses that smell like a marathoner's jock strap. I like the cloudy, mysterious amber color, although the head is on the thin side. And yep, it tastes like a cherry flavored wheat beer to me. The cherry flavor actually takes about a half second to hit you, and isn't overpowering like too many fruit beers, but it is still a little on the strong side. Subtlety is best with the fruit beers. A little harsh going down, but drinkable. Not my favorite, but it's still good for a quaff now and then.

2.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Auburn color with a thin light beige head. Very strong cherry aroma. There was just too much cherry in the flavor making it almost sickeningly sweet. It doesn't even taste like cherries, more like the cherry flavoring they use to make popsicles or something. I honestly didn't bother finishing the bottle. This wasn't horrible, but they really need to tone down the cherry or balance it better with more malt.

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Final 12oz from the summer mix pack.. poured into my shaped Sam Adams glass.

1" head dies leaving no lacing atop a hazy lite golden brew.

Aroma is cherry sucrets.. nothing else... smells artificial.

Flavor is the same.. cherry cough syrup.. just doesn't taste "real". Some wheat and pale malts... and some sweetness to make sure that you taste cherry and little else. Body is lite with quite a bit of carbonation.

I make no apologies on this one... it may be okay for someone who is trying to break into craft beer.. but there is waay too much cherry (artificial) flavors to be enjoyable to me.

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

White to off-white head which settled down but has good lacing. Beer itself is clear gold. There's clearly cherry in the smell and a mild honey sweetness underneath. No discernible hops on this one. Cherry's also in the taste, but unlike some other reviewers, I didn't find it overly sweet. Some honey fills in toward the end. I did expect a bit more crispness from the wheat in this beer, so that was a bit of a disappointment. I was also hoping it would be unfiltered (the yeast would add to the flavor profile.), but ah well. this is more of a honey ale than a honey wheat. Mouthfeel was soft and medium bodied with low carbonation. I'd likely turn elsewhere after drinking one of these. Compared with other S.A. beers, this is not what I expect.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle a hazy amber gold with a light white head and light lacing.

The aroma is cherries all the way. Brings back memories of the Smith Bros. cherry cough drops I had as a kid.

Taste is of bitter cherries with an even more bitter metallic finish.

Mouthfeel is light with a quite fizzy carbonation.

I'm finding it hard to get past the bitter metal taste of this beer. Definitely not going to be a favorite of mine..

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a ever so slightly hazy gold-orangish color with a one finger white head left on top. Decent head retention and wispy lacing left on the glass. The nose is cherries, cherries, cherries - maracchino cherries, and just a touch of a malt backbone to it. Taste is overwhelmingly cherry. I am definitely a fan of fruity beer, but the cherry flavoring dominates the taste to a point of distraction - perhaps because it almost an artificial cherry taste. There are slight notes of malts in this beer, but not enough to even remotely balance out the cherry. On the lighter side of medium bodied, medium to high carbonation that works well for this beer, slightly creamy with a dry finish to it. Many years ago, I had tried this beer and loved it, oh how the palate changes. This is a beer that you could have one of, anything more would be far too sweet.

2.86/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out an apricot color with a good deal of carbonation in the body and a huge, creamy head with dimples all along the top. As the head slowly recedes, it leaves thick, raised lacing on the glass. The aroma is a big punch of maraschino cherries with some backing wheatiness. Not much else. Cherry flavor tastes too artificial and with a nutrasweet like flavor. The wheat and grain come trough a bit, but the cherry flavoring is too much. Mouthfeel is kind of fulsome with barely any carbonation felt on the tongue, despite the appearance of moderate carbonation. Too flat feeling. I'll manage to finish the bottle, but it will be reminiscent of a chore.

2.86/5  rDev -8.9%

This somewhat hazy straw-colored beer has a nice dense very white head atop it. The nose is dominated by cherries, but it smells more like cherry syrup than actual cherries. Highly sweet flavor, resembling cherry cough syrup, and little else of note. Bleagh.

I was in the mood for a cherry beer, but I picked the wrong one with this offering. I love cherries and have brewed with them myself on occasion. This is not a good cherry beer, by any measurement.

2.86/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a interesting lager like yellow with a hint of red, adequate head. Actually smells like cherries, surprisingly enough. Taste is only meh. True enough, cherries are a distinct flavor along with the hops, and reasonably complex. The trouble is, for me the whole package just doesn’t do anything for me. I don’t feel the cherry taste complements the beer in any way, it just overrides it. Cheers to Sam Adams for trying an interesting brew to say the least, but nothing special here.

2.87/5  rDev -8.6%

I got a bottle of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat in their summer variety pack for $12.99 at Krogers, I have had this beer many times over the years, mainly when I first started to get into craft beer, I am not a big fan of this beer but since it came in their summer pack I might as well review them like the other beers in the pack, so lets see what I think about this beer now. Best by October. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and run of the mill, it should have some cherry's or something on it. It poured a nice looking golden orange color that was a little hazy and it looked the same when held to the light, it also had two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some patchy lacing. This is a good looking beer, no complaints here.

S- Wow this beer is really aromatic, I don't have to have my nose close to the glass to smell this beer, it starts off with loads of sweet cherry that have a pretty artificial aroma, it smells similar to the red syrup that is put on snow cones, with some medicinal cough syrup towards the end. After that comes some sweet wheat malts that impart a sweet and bready aroma with a real slight lemon aroma towards the end, no hops to be found. The aroma isn't that good there's just way too much artificial cherry aromas, I think it would be hard to tell the difference between this and cheap fruit juice just by the aroma.

T- The taste isn't that similar to the aroma, it's much more beer like, it starts off with a little bit of cherry flavors which isn't as artificial as it was in the aroma and is quickly followed by a good amount of wheat malts that have a higher amount of sweetness to them and impart some grainy, wheaty, and bready flavors followed by some slight doughy yeast flavors. Next comes more cherrys which are a little more artificial tasting and have some of those medicinal cough syrup flavors to them that carry on to the aftertaste with a light wheat flavor and it had a pretty light amount of bitterness. The flavor is just ok the wheat base shows up a little more but the cherrys still aren't that pleasing and they wear on me, average at best.

M- Slightly smooth, somewhat dry finish, pretty creamy, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little fizzy and slightly prickly. The mouthfeel wasn't bad, but the carbonation needed to be toned down a little.

Overall I don't like this beer and I thought that is was an average example of a Cherry Wheat beer, I can see why some people like it but to me not enough good beer qualitys shine through. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, not that smooth with the high sweetness and medicinal flavors, one is more then enough for me, there's no way I would want another. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, if looked pretty nice and had some good head retention along with a nice color. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness and the artificial cherrys in the flavor and aroma, to me they hurt this beer and were not enjoyable. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own and I hate when they throw this in their variety packs, when they do it's always my least favorite of the pack, I don't recommend this beer, there's much better fruit beers out there. I wasn't impressed with this beer and never have been, but for some reason this beer appeals to a lot of people so there's no chance of it changing anytime soon. If I am in the mood for a fruit beer, I would much rather have a Short's Soft Parade, I think it's a far superior beer. This beer just isn't for me, hope the next one I try from you guys is much better.

2.87/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a very pleasant amber with honey touches near the edges. Nice 2 finger head that fades to a thin layer, with very pleasant lacing.

The smell is fantastic of cherry, almost similar to cherry lifesavers. Which on it's own is very nice, very little smell of "beer" in the traditional sense.

The initial taste is not bad at all, but is very very strong of cherry. Suggestions of vanilla, but little in the way of traditional beer taste here, if it exists, the cherry blocks out the sun.

Feels like a standard wheat beer on the tongue, good carbonation, not too thick, not too thin, but undistinguished.

Two hours after drinking this, I was still trying to find things to get the brutal aftertaste out of my mouth. It leaves a very sickly sweet feeling, and thus makes this beer something to be avoided for now. I honestly think this one needs a retooling, tone down the cherry, make it less dominant, allow the other flavors to mingle more. If they could make the taste subtle (like Stoney Creek does with their vanilla porter) i would have been happier.

2.87/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L - Deep gold color with a 1-finger white, creamy head. Pretty good retention for not that big of a head and great lacing. Tons and tons of carbonation bubbles. Very effervescent.

S - Smells like Maraschino cherries, not the natural Traverse City that the label talks about. I’m trying to pick up the wheat and hops here, but all I can get is the slightest hint of wheat malt. This thing is all cherry.

T - The taste delivers much more than the aroma. Starts of sweet with honey and cherries (real cherries this time), climbs to a spicy level of wheat malt and yeast, and finishes with flavors of earthy hops and bready malt.

F - Medium-bodied with not nearly as much carbonation as the appearance suggests, a creamy mouthfeel, and a very dry finish. Bready malt flavors linger for a little while.

O - This is an average fruit beer. It’s a average wheat beer with an average amount of cherries. It’s still pretty tasty and much better than the nose suggests, but there’s just not enough of anything here to bring it to a higher level. It’s one of the weaker beers in the Sam Adams catalogue, but definitely still drinkable.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from 12 ounce bottle into weizen glass.

Appearance - Pale orange, slightly cloudy, thin white head, no retention

Smell - Cherries with a hint of more cherries

Taste - Bright and tart cherry, no hops, no wheat either. Cherry soda almost for flavor profile, minus the cola

Mouthfeel - Light, acidic with good carbonation

Drinkability - Very easy to consume, lawnmower or beach bum beer, i.e. great for the summer. Not sure why it's in the Fall sampler pack.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a clear, pale yellow. One inch head with good retention and lacing. Smells strongly of cherry flavoring (reminiscent of cough syrup). Fits the style unfortunately. There is a smooth and crisp mouth feel (unlike a thick syrup). Average carbonation levels. There is a cherry syrup flavoring that is very strong. Designated as a desert beer and that is the only way I could drink another one of these. There is an associated tartness that makes is hard to drink. Overall, not that great of a combination (cherry + beer).

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

A normal golden lager type color with a medium white head that leaves some lacing. Aroma of cherry cough drops and honey, Flavor is much the same, a strong artifical cherry taste with some ok honey notes as it warms, way too sweet for me.
I loved this stuff when I first got into craft beer,but now I pass on it if possible,just too sweeet for me now I think. Love most of Sam's other stuff though.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

pours an orangeamber color with an ok head with ok retention

smells purely of fake cherries. I don't find the cherry smell to be very real, smells as if it's goign to taste like a cherry soda. No beer smell to be found

Taste is sweet but not in a truly cherry way (hard to detect the actual flavors). That and the wheaty stale bready taste is all this beer has to offer.

Mouthfeel is very sticky (since its quite sweet) and carbonated.
Drinkability is low, i drank three of these in a row and felt sorta sick from all the sweetness by the end. An alright brew.

12 oz bottle into a Paulaner Weisbier glass

A - Poured aggressively because the glass is actually designed for a .5L weisbier. Ended up with an exciting rush of bubbles that settled into about 3 fingers of frothy white head. A touch of pink, maybe. The beer itself is a surprisingly clear golden amber color. The head retention is pretty good, a thin layer lasts throughout, and there is some decent lacing.

Bottle artwork is typical Sam Adams fair. I appreciate the explanation about the cherries being local but am wary of the "natural flavors added." There's also a freshness date - best before April 2012.

S - Smells like cherries and sugary almonds... but has an artificial flavor that reminds me of medicine, or maybe cherry flavored candy... It's hard for me to decide if I really enjoy this smell or not.

T - Taste truly follows the aroma, a little fuller in the almond flavor. More medicinal. However, this profile is more enjoyable on the tongue than in the nose. (fiance felt the opposite about this point)

M - Thin and watery. I know this is listed as a fruit beer, but it's also a wheat beer. It's lacking in that department.

O - Kind of underwhelming. No need to avoid it, and if this kind of thing appeals to you I imagine it could be somebody's favorite. Definitely not mine. I wish it was better because I love fruit beers and wheat beers - this should have been a slam dunk. Oh well.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)