Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,619 | Reviews: 1,167
4.07/5  rDev +29.6%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

This a great beer but its not a great pour or have a good head. The aroma is very strong of cherries.

Its taste very much like cherries, I like having this beer as a chaser after something strong, but its not great after food.

4.09/5  rDev +30.3%

Color was a golden color with a extremely small few fruit zests present.

Smell was all cherry with a hint of vanilla.

Taste is almost all cherry. It is strange, the flavor of cherries is so powerful but compliments the flavor very nicely. A faint taste is present (maybe honey?).

It is for all intensive purposes an average beer with a pleasant cherry taste.

I am giving this beer a better review than I think I should. Mainly because I think it will fill a good void of giving me the drink I need when I am not in the mood for a stronger beer. It is very drinkable for one or two bottles.

4.09/5  rDev +30.3%

This is by far my favorite Sam Adams varietal. Look is an expected unfiltered wheat. The cherry essence is very prevalent in the aroma; it entices you to the best part, the taste!
The blend of cherry and wheat beer is a perfect balance when you're looking for a good, honest, fruit-forward beer.

4.1/5  rDev +30.6%

A: Golden/orange color, with about a half finger of head when poured. lace sticks around for a little while but eventually fizzles away

S: Traverse City cherries, oh yeah the good stuff. No hoppy smells here.. little sweet malt smell

T: Crisp and refreshing, sweet cherry bite with lots of cherry flavor with a medium amount of carbonation here.. cherry bready taste and feel at the end.. finishes smooth to me.

M: Refreshing.. Not too strong but just right. cleans right off the pallet with little lingering flavor..

Overall a great beer. Drink it year round if im not in the mood for a sam boston or a wild craft choice.. Easy to find wherever you are if your in a pinch and want something out of the ordinary.

4.1/5  rDev +30.6%

Don't know what it is but I really enjoy this beer. It is very refreshing with a nice blast of cherry but not overwhelming. It is a great summer/fall beer. Has a nice wheat/ale underlying taste. Not like a regular wheat beer but a definite light taste. Would go great with the right meal.

4.1/5  rDev +30.6%

A- Poured into a weizen glass, resulting in a nice thick 1 finger head that remained for quite a while, but slowly recedes into a thin cap. The beer is slightly cloudy with only the lightest bit of sediment.

S- Huge fresh cherries on this one. I was expecting a fake puree smell, but have to say, this was pretty fresh to me. I also get on the tail end of the nose a light wheat yeastiness, although small.

T- Initially I get a wheaty cherry component that is a touch light but in good balance with the beer. The finish on this is still a nice fresh cherry that isn't really overpowering, but just right. This is one of those that doesn't take much thought about drinking because it's got the cherry sweetness and a light wheat backbone. I find it to be in good balance, and although sweet in spots, doesn't resemble a cough drop like I feared it would.

Mouthfeel - mouthfeel is low/low-med carbonation that works well with the style and makes is quite drinkable. The cherry finish is very tasteful as well.

Drinkability- I enjoyed this brew and can see myself drinking this again in the future, no problem.

4.11/5  rDev +30.9%

Pours from the bottle amber yellow with sweet Cherry and Wheat smell. Has a very nice fruit cherry flavor not to sweet. Feels good in your mouth refreshing mild. Can't drink to many gets a littel sweet but is very drinkable for having two or three! I do not like real fruity Beers that much but I like this one all the way will get it again.
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Its Food-!

4.12/5  rDev +31.2%

This one pours a dark yellow with a tall white head that fades quickly. The smell is very strong, mostly cherries with some sweet notes. The taste is very similar, very sweet and strong, the cherries dominate this beer. Not much else comes out in this beer it is one dimentional but if you like that aspect you are set. I see this beer as a love it or hate it. I happen to love it, it is an easy drinker with a smooth crisp mouthfeel. Even though the cherry taste is strong it doesn't get annoying for me. As far as fruit beers, this is my favorite. I hope you like it as much as I do. Enjoy!

4.12/5  rDev +31.2%

Pours a hazy, lazy yellow with a small bubbly head, no retention and minimal lacing, barely even a crown on the glass.

Nose is sweet, bright cherries. The label says this is brewed with cherries and cherry flavor added, so some of the nose may be artificial.

Taste is smooth and easy, pleasant cherry taste and not anywhere near as sweet as it smells. Decent malt balance, a touch of yeast, and slightly more than average carbonation make this a genuine entry for a fruit flavored beer instead of just dumping in some fruit juice at the end and calling it so. A good beer to have with dessert and a fine session brew for the fall or spring.

4.12/5  rDev +31.2%

Pours pale amber in color with plenty of bubbles throughout. Has a big foamy white head that settles to a thin coating after a while.

The cherries practically jump out of the glass. It's really all I can smell with the exception of some light wheat malt and lots of sweetness. It's actually a very pleasant and inviting aroma.

The cherries are again in the forefront when you first taste it and are the predominant flavor throughout. There is also some some bready notes that give it almost a cherry muffin quality.

It's a light to medium body beer with a little sharpness from the carbonation. It has a very crisp and clean finish.

This beer is highly drinkable. Very refreshing and easy to drink. I remember the first time I had it, the flavors were off putting, but that was probably ten years ago when I was just getting into craft beer. I remember having it again at a beer dinner with some cherry cheesecake about 5 years ago and how well it went with the dessert. I haven't had it since and this time around I like it very much.

4.12/5  rDev +31.2%

Another beer leftover from my canoe trip. Those poor guys didn't get a chance to try some craft brew. Second out of my cooler is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I was looking forward to this one.

Appearance is good. A nice head that lingers for a while.

Smell is one of the best I've sampled. A strong cherry aroma.

Taste is good. The cherry flavor is out front and almost overpowers the other ingredients. Gives a slight cherry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good. Feels like a good beer.

This is my first fruit beer I've ever tasted. I could enjoy a few of these.This beer is good, but I still have this sense that there may be a few too many cherries in the brew.

4.12/5  rDev +31.2%

This beer is pretty fruity, but is still really good! It seems like a great summer beer, something I would like to drink while just relaxing. Obviously it's not the most manly of beverages, but another great beer from Sam Adams in my opinion; in fact one of their best seasonal beers

4.13/5  rDev +31.5%

Poured from a 12 oz glass with November 2007 best-by date. Poured into a hefeweizen glass. Slightly hazy golden color with a foamy white head. Looks picture-perfect. Great retention. Smells of sweet cherries and honey. Flavors of the cherries, wheat, touch of honey. Not too complex, but still nice and clean to drink. Light-bodied mouthfeel. Very easily drinkable. Great summer beer.

4.13/5  rDev +31.5%

I've had this beer several times, but I tend to slack on my reviews so I'm finally getting to this one.

Pours well with nice retention and lace, something that is a common characteristic of the Boston Beer varieties.Although refreshing, I taste cherry syrup, but the draft versions seems to be a bit more natural tasting.I think it would be more interseting if this beer was bottle conditioned and had traditional wheat characteristics.Maybe I'll try a homebrew and do it that way.

A decent, balanced beer overall.

4.13/5  rDev +31.5%

It's a candy! It's a beer! It's a CANDY BEER! As George Washington fictitiously said, "I cannot tell a lie, it was I who cut down the cherry beer tree." Pours cloudy light red amber with cherry lollipop smell and you can immediately tell there is artificial flavor here, but what the hell. Wheat meets a candy treat in Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

*Quench your sweet tooth.*

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

If you're looking for a smooth drinking non-hoppy beer with a hint of fruitiness, this is a great option.

4.14/5  rDev +31.8%

This beer is a very mild flavored beer, with a noticeable cherry flavor. It has a cloudy wheat-like appearance and the wheat flavor is indeed also noticeable. This is one of my husband's favorite beers (and he considers it a "guilty pleasure" because it is artificially flavored.) It isn't very hoppy or malty. There are times when you want one of these, it quenches thirst well.

4.14/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - cloudy golden color with hints of light red. little froth head

S - tart cherry scent with light "artificial" sugar scent

T - Tart but sweet Michigan cherry with some light "artificial" sweetness to it, some nice wheat tastes inbetween.

M - Smooth, good carbonation, not thick or medicinal like the smell/taste dictates

D - Refreshing, not overy sweet and a different class of fruit beer from other brands. A very guilty pleasure.

4.14/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

When I opened this, I was amazed at just how much this beer smelled like sweet cherries. Honestly, it was like grenadine. As it opened up, a more tart aspect appeared, but it was still a fairly sweet nose.

Poured a cloudy, amber color in the glass with a fair head.

The taste was not quite as powerful. The dominant taste is indeed cherries. Again though, the taste is of a fairly sweet maraschino cherry character. I am not sure why I expected more of a tart flavor, but this one does not meet that expectation. This flavor is the body of the beer, with a small bit of wheat on the finish. Hops don't really play a role in this one.

Honestly, it tastes a lot like a basic lager with cherry juice in it. Not that it is a bad thing, though. It is pretty tasty, even if it is rather simple. It gets my stamp of approval.

4.15/5  rDev +32.2%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. label notched at May 2011 for best taste.

a - Pours a nice reddish/mohogany color with one finger of nice white head with a bit of lacing and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells of cherries, wheat, bread, and fruity malts. Not as over-poweringly sweet as other berry& cherry brews I've tried.

t - Tastes of cherries, wheat, grain, bread, fruits. Does not taste like a sweet, syrupy soda like some others of tried. Kind of a nice dry finish.

m - Light body and high carbonation that tickles the tongue. Refreshing...

d - Very high drinability,not too sweet. The smell does not over-power the flavor as some berry/cherry/fruity brews do. Low ABV makes it easy to have a few and continue to function. I had 2 while preparing dinner...then 2 more with dinner. This beer went suprisingly well with a roasted herb chicken(cranberry sauce on the side), roasted potatoes & mixed veggies.
Then I had one with a slice of chocolate cake...delicious!

I found Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat tobe a versatile beer. Sweet enough to function as a dessert beer, but enough of all the the other things that make a wheat beer enjoyable!

4.15/5  rDev +32.2%

I've always thought of Sam Adams as a a sort of "starter" beer. None of their brews are bland by any means, but none are truly challenging either, if you know what I mean. I'm probably making that sound like a downfall, but in truth that's not always the case. Sometimes you want something that tastes plain good, but nothing you have to think about. Most of the Sam Adams line fits that bill perfectly for me.

This particular brew I happen to enjoy quite a bit. It pours a medium golden with a medium white head. The nose is particularly good, smelling very strong of cherries and maybe a little of the wheat character as well. The first sip is very nice, clean and crisp and with a strong cherry wallop followed quickly by the tart nature of cherries along with the wheat and a nice balanced almost lager-like quality. It is very very good. The aftertaste is smooth with more of the same tones present on first sip. Mouthfeel is nice and well balanced with a sort of dry character to it. Carbonation is definatly present in a healthy dose which adds to the pleasant tone of the brew. I should note though that the cherry taste is a bit overdone, which isn't really apparent until the brew warms a bit. After warming it has a slight artifical taste to it, not horrible, but still present. When cold though I think that part of it is masked a bit. This one I'm sure won't find any love with the hopheads or those who don't like sweet beers, because this one definatly sits squarely in that category.

Overall a very nice brew, in particular it will probably one I will enjoy fairly often, especially in the warmer months.

Uncle Hamish says: "Blooie' 'ell lad, whut are ye feedin' me now? Sweet tart wa'er?"

4.15/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Great in the summer. Mixed with Guinness is a fun mix up.

4.16/5  rDev +32.5%

Bought a six pack from Four Seasons Liquors. The beer settles with a thin head throughout, but with no real lacing. Clear, brown-red (not too amber-like) appearance. Aromas are potent cherry flavors with some thin grain hints. Not too overpowering, just right in potency. Taste is wicked good and sweet: those cherry/grain flavors are apparent and warmly wrapped around hops and malts. Mouthfeel is basic and allows it to be crisp but a little light. Overall, a really good fruit beer from Sam Adams.

4.16/5  rDev +32.5%

This is my favorite Sam Adams brew, just beating out the Hefe Weizen. The smell of cherries hits you as soon as you pour it; it has a medium to dark red color to go along with it and there wasn't much head. It's definitely sweeter than most fruity beers I've had. I drank it with a burger, and they went surprisingly well together.

4.17/5  rDev +32.8%

First time I had this was at the Food and Wine Expo at EPCOT. I was mostly drunk by the time I had it, but even in that state, I liked the beer immediately.

The next day I went back and had it first thing. As I was completely sober, I expected a different opinion, but it was even better.

There is a definite smell of cherries, not overpowering, but very, very noticeable. My mouth didn't find the beer as strongly flavored as my nose, but it certainly finishes with a hint of cherry.

I never was a fan of sweet or fruity beers, but I liked this for its easy drinkability.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)