Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,130 | Hads: 3,651
4.17/5  rDev +28.7%

12 ounce bottle in Pilsner glass

A: Reddish hazelnut with almost no head and light lacing.

S: cherry slightly sweet. with slight lager overtone.

T: Cherry and Sam Adams Lager mix. A little hoppy. flavor stays, but in a good way.

M: Mouthfeel is thin and cherry flavor stays till the next mouthful.

D: Not the best, but for some reason I Love this beer.
Great with Spicy Wings!!! (383 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +28.7%

Probably my second, or first, favorite Sam. Appearances aside, the smell and taste are out of this world. I can't sense a bit of bitterness to this ale. I am not a fan of cherries per say, but this is a flavor explosion to say the least. Reminds me a lot of a non-craft type beer with the pale appearance and drinkability/mouthfeel. can't quite place what the scent is, but I like it. Could drink six-bangers till I black out.

Highly recommended. No, really recommended. (471 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +29.3%

This is one of my staple summer beers since I first got the nerve to drink any beer with fruit flavoring quite a few years ago. This and #9 are my never fail fruit beers. I know these in no way compare to some of the hard core european fruit offerings, and well they shouldn't. This is closer to the mow the lawn beer and they go down so easy. The color is almost straw with a hint of copper tone. The head is fair and lively, not much lacing. The aroma is a beautiful cherry blended with a bit of cereal/wheat as one might expect. It smells crisp and it tastes much the same. A light and refreshing wash of pilsner-like flavor laced with a decided cherry sweetness. Somewhat dry but also a bit watery for a quenching libation that finishes with a tasteful tartness. Nothing very complex and easy to drink many. This is my light beer, vaguely soda-esque, but it retains it's beer integrity in my book. May be too soda like for some beer fans but it works for me. (962 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +29.6%

I'm surprised by the average ratings on this beer. It made me question whether or not to buy it. I was stuck between two six packs (I had to choose one or the other). I chose the cherry wheat and I was extremely happy.

Appearance: I was able to generate a nice head and there was great retention.

Smell: mainly cherries, some slight fruitiness very faint.

Taste: Tastes like marciano (sp?) cherries. Doesn't have as "wheaty" a flavor as other wheats. Starts off sweet, and then gives you a mild bitterness. It's tremendous.

Mouthfeel & drinkability: Very crisp. An easy beer to knock back a lot of. (611 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +29.6%

This is a favorite of mine that goes way back to when I first discovered good beer. It looks like a traditional wheat beer, but has a reddish tint and has little or no head. The smell of cherries invites you to drink this wonderful brew. The taste is also of cherries and a nice balance of wheat malt and just a tinge of hops. I am not usually fond of fruit beers, but this beer keeps me coming back for more. It is definitely drinkable. (437 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +29.6%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat has become one of my favorite beers from tap, and every time I'm at my local Buffalo Wild Wings, its always my first choice.

Appearance- Pours well from what I could see, the bartender was in the way (probably wasn't a beeradvocate!!). The head was thin, but kept throughout glass, and had a little wisp, which common to most wheat beers.

Smell- Though artificial, I do enjoy the cherry smell that comes with the beer. Sam Adams beers are known, as least according to my palate, for their distinct smells, and I can usually pick a Sam out of a crowd. The cherry does overpower any traditional beer smell though.

Taste- Being a huge fan of wheat beers, I fell in love with this brew and I still hold in high regard among my wheat beer scale. The cherry masks any initial bitterness, and the aftertaste is calm and doesn't linger.

Mouthfeel- As with most wheat beers, a smooth drink is apparent, and the cherry only makes things easier

Drinkability- I find the first and second glasses to be sufficient for myself, because the cherry does become overwhelming as you drink more and more of it. Went extremely well with the burger and fries I had. (1,175 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +30.2%

Call me crazy, but I actually found this beer pretty darn good.. perhaps I got a lucky batch? Others likened this beer to an alcoholic cherry soda.. I likened it to a beer with a good cherry head, and that's exactly what it delivered.

Smooth finish, aromatic long-lasting head. I smell the fruit, and taste the wheat.. for an $8 6-pack, I'm rating this as a solid B+ for a buy-it-anywhere SA beer. (398 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +30.2%

appearance - Cloudy dark yellow color. Large head but settled down later on. Nice lace.

smell - A beer that smells good! I haven't smelled a beer that had a heavy sent in awhile. Most of the time you smell hints of things, and they all smell the same. This was a nice. cherry , and wheat smell.

taste - Well balance, with cheeries, wheat, and hops.

mouthfeel -Medium body, not much carbination.

drinkability - I was surprised. I thought it was going to be sweet and I wouldn't like it. I loved it. Not sure if I could drink a lot of these those. You'll laugh, but it reminds me of Captain Crunch Berry Cereal. lol (628 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +30.2%

Pours clear, slighty hazy.

Smells and tastes sweet and fruity.

Generally, I do not enjoy fruit flavored beers. But this beer and Saranac's Pomegranate Wheat are the two major fruit flavored beers that do it for me. Try this underrated Sam Adams if you enjoy fruit beers. (272 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +30.2%

Twelve ounce bottle poured into a beer glass. 6.99 for a six pack here, so can't complain too much about that.

A: golden-yellow with a tint of amber, and a good head, about two fingers, leaves moderately fast, and leaves a thin lace.

S: wheat hits your nostrils first, then you can smell the cherry undertones. Not much hops scent here, but you can faintly smell the alcohol.

T: First, you taste the wheat flavor of the beer, then after it goes down, you are left with a very pleasant cherry aftertaste.

D: light and smooth, but the fullness makes it hard to drink a lot of these in a night. Would be good for a nightcap, or just to lounge around. Reason for the 3.5 is because this beer is filling, which is to be expected from a wheat beer. (747 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +30.2%

Pours with a golden body, some brownish tone and a thick light tan head. Smells gorgeous! Marzipan (sweet almondy), ripe cherry and malt. The taste follows up with sweet cherry right up front, then bready-doughy-marzipan flavors, and a bitter finish. The hops don't stick out here, allowing the sweets to come forward delightfully. I have to admit that this is already one of my favorite brews of all time. Delicious with a chicken parm sub. (441 characters)

From bottle to glass

A: Cloudy dark orange with small off white head with a little lacing.

S: Strong cherries. Sweet in smell and enveloping...

T: Sweet cherries and wheat. Bright, fruity, with a sweet background. The wheat taste is there blended well with the cherries.

M: Clean and refreshing finish. Nice carbonation.

D: Crisp and clean.A great combination of wheat and cherries. (387 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +30.6%

I first reviewed this beer back in May when it was 1st available, but I saved 2 - 12 oz bottles as they neared the 'brewery fresh taste' date of Sept. '07 and I decided to re-review it.

A - clear deep golden color with a big fluffy white head, that settled down a bit, but lasted, there was a constant flow of tiny bubbles in the glass and it left a good amount of lacing.

S - smell of cherry, as it was before, is still there, but not as over-powering.

T - strong cherry taste has toned down and now the malted wheat taste comes through, with a nice crisp finish.

M - clean. crisp, light and refreshing.

D - good drinkability, different and refreshing.

I'm glad I sat on a few of these and IMO this is a beer that should be enjoyed about a month or so before the recommended 'drink by' date.
I'm going to get a few more before the end of Summer. (865 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into mug

Coudy amber hue with a touch of a red tint. About a one inch off-white head which slowly settles to a foamy cap. String lacing along the glass.

Very strong cherry aromas, with not much else coming through.

Thick syrupy cherry flavor along with bits of wheat malt flavor. Bits of bitterness in the back of the mouth. Bit of a chewy feel from the medium body and the low carbonation.

This is a very enjoyable beer in my opinion, artificial flavoring or not. I guess some people find it too sweet. This one goes well after a dinner as a good dessert beer. (586 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Smells almost overpoweringly of cherry, but personally thats fine. Nice color and head, with decent retention. The taste of the wheat beer mixed perfectly with the cherry. Alot of fruit beers taste too much of beer, not enough of fruit. This beer does a good job of balancing the two. Leaves a fine after taste, and mixes well with most kinds of foods. (352 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +30.9%

Head is pretty much nil.
Aroma is amazing with the hint of cherry, of course.
Beautiful amber color and pours well. Not quite a lambic, but similar. Easily one of the best American flavored beers Ive ever had. Sam Adams comes through yet again. Without a doubt, Boston Beer Co is the best American brewery. (306 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +30.9%

I was never a beer drinker until my boyfriend introduced me to Cherry Wheat. This is the best beer I've ever tasted! I would say that compared to other beers that this has a very smooth taste with subtle hints of summer and an introduction to fall all mixed into one. It smells fruity but still has that distinctive smell of beer with the presence of hops giving it a rustic feel. I am now hooked on Sam Adams! Shame on me for not getting more interested in beer in college! (474 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +31.2%

Appearance: Golden straw color. Slightly hazy. Pours a thick fluffy white head that fades slowly. Lots of lacing.

Smell: cherry extract, vanilla, cola.

Taste: cherry, biscuit finish, wheat malt, cola.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, crisp finish, smooth upfront. Good carbonation.

Overall: A very tasty beer. One of my favorite fruit beers, and one of the first beers to turn me onto craft beer. Well balanced. Drinkability is very high. (434 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +31.8%

One of my absolute favorities, as I feel that's it's rare for a beer to be made into EXACTLY what it was intended to be as much so as Cherry Wheat. The cherry taste here is just wonderful at the start, with enough carbonation to really set it off. Somehow, the Sam cherries manage to tast better than your typical cherry. The finish is stronger on the wheat flavor and is extremely clean. Almost everyone I know enjoys this, even if they aren't typically into craft beers. (472 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +31.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a golden color with a two finger white head. The head fades over a few minutes to give a medium amount of lacing.

Smell – Sweet cherries aromas are big and bold. They are matched with a nice bready and sugary smell which well al combined create an enjoyable cherry bread aroma.

Taste – It begins with a sweeter bready and malty flavor. This malty flavor has hints of darker frits which develop more and more as the taste advances. In the beginning there is some cherry, raisin, and plum. As the taste advances the cherry strengths at the expense f the other fruit flavors and is accompanied by a lighter brown sugar taste. At the end the big cherry with the still very present bready base leaves a clean cherry bread taste on the tongue. It a very linger and delicious end.

Mouthfeel – A slightly higher than average body thickness with a medium level of carbonation. The average carbonation is perfect as it makes it a very refreshing brew, while the body really allows those nice flavors to sit on the tongue and soak in.

Overall – With great flavor, aroma, mouthfeel and price this is one of the best fruit beers out there. It is a great balance between malt and fruit making this one fantastic and great drinking brew. (1,291 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +31.8%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat poured a bit of a light golden color, with a small head. It had a sweet smell, and the cherry smells are very present. The taste is very intresting and novel. It has a sweet taste, and a very strong cherry taste, with a beer taste supporting it. It was pretty light, and tasty, and very easy to drink. Overall I felt it was a very good beer, however I also enjoy cherries, I can see many people disliking this beer as well. (449 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +31.8%

This beer pours a cloudy almost copper color. The moment you open the bottle you smell cherries. The beer tastes of cherries, and a malt sweetness. The mouthfeel is a light almost medium feel to it. I would consider this a very drinkable beer. Almost like a dessert. Very balanced for using fruit. (297 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +32.4%

Tried this today for the first time and was really actually impressed. It was incredible delicious and drinkable with a good cherry flavor but not grossly over powering. It was just very well balanced and smooth. Only had half of one but def wanted more then that. The smell was well lived up to in the yummy cherry tasty. A good beer which was and impressive brew in the sam adams line of beers. (396 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +32.7%

This is one excellent beer that is always a nice sweet break from bitter beers once in a while. It pours an excellent amber color with a nice white head. The body even looks a little cherry-ish. The aroma is of sweet malts and cherries. The taste is just that - sweet malts and cherries, but like the candy kinds of cherries. It really is a nice taste and it almost doesn't even taste like a beer. It gets a more beery taste when it warms up a bit, but other than that, this beer is pretty much cherries. Great aftertaste and excellent mouthfeel. Try this beer, it is definately worth a shot. (592 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +33%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Yellow slighty murky wheat beer appearance with minimal 1 finger head that quickly disappears.

Smell - Wonderfully strong cherry presence in the scent. Very nice smell.

Taste - A wonderful blend of wheat, barley and cherry flavorings with a crisp finish. Very well crafted and extremely sessionable.

Mouthfeel - A tad fizzy but nothing too distracting.

Overall - In 1994 I thought this was the best beer on the planet. I still think this is a darn fine tasting beer and is easily enjoyable. (507 characters)

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)