Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,553 | Reviews: 1,135

3.4/5  rDev +8.3%

The cherry flavor really overpowers everything in this beer. I've had it on tap at the brewery and it was much better. Great beer to drink in hotter weather because it's reminiscent of summer and can be considered refreshing. Some malt and carbonation in the finish but cherries throughout. It has some body and can be respected fruit beer, unlike the Cranberry Lambic.

3.4/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Well, I can open a jar of marischino cherries, and smell this beer. There was a slight beer scent, but it was all fakey-cherry. It's a light orange color, with slightly cloudy appearence and a very nice head that stayed a long time.

It was a good balance of the fakey cherry flavor, just like marischino cherries and a little bit of flacor from the wheat in the beer, but , this was all cherry with a hollow finish. One thing noted, I prefer the artifical cherry flavor presented here, as opposed to the bitter flavor of cherry.

In the summer, I could drink this a lot. It's light, not as sweet as a cherry pop, and reminds me of "kiddie cocktails" I used to have as a kid. However, when I want a beer, I want a beer.

I was served this beer on tap at the Blue Tusk in Syracuse, NY

It was served in a classic Weizen Glass that bore the brand name.

It was golden in color with minimal head and very visible carbonation.
More clear than I had expected it to be.

Aroma all cherry.

I was really surprised by the creamy mouth feel.
Nice Flavor without the cherry sweetness being over done.
Cherry burst followed by bready dry finish.

Nice bread/biscuit finish lingers.

I really enjoyed the flavor that stuck with you between sips.

A decent amount of lacing was left behind.

A good session beer for the summer.

Give it a try

3.41/5  rDev +8.6%

My last bottle from the summer mix pack.

Pours a light peachish-orange with some haze. Big creamy white head retains at a half finger, good lace.

Smell is quite cherry-centric but not necessarily strong...definitely on the sweeter side, reminds me of a cherry slushee with some caramel malt backing.

Taste is a little more broad. The cherry flavor still comes off slushee/kool-aid-like but not as sickly sweet as in the scent. Sweet caramel and buttery malts add a nice backbone with some light spice+chocolate going on as well. Wheat and bread appear mostly in the finish.

Pretty decent mouthfeel but high on the carbonation, a bit stinging.

Easy to see why this beer gets some hate, the cherries come off as kinda artificial, but it's somewhat well-rounded, the interplay of flavors is good, tasty in its own way.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Had this on-tap at a local bar and I didn't know it was available until I saw it on the menu.

A- Orangish yellow in appearance, small foam head that relaxes after several minutes. About average as far as an appearance goes.

S- Cherries. You can definitely smell the cherries and this is why it's called "cherry wheat." Some wheaty scent present too, but cherries for the most part.

T- Just as it smells: cherries with some bready taste. I actually enjoyed the taste and it's not too bad.

M- Medium bodied so there's not a terrible amount of carbonation, rather just enough.

D- About an average drinkability. If you don't mind the taste of cherries, then you should be able to have a couple. I just had one because I wanted to try it out, but I certainly could have gone for another.

Not a bad brew by the Boston Beer Company. I understand their reasoning for trying to stretch their beers to different fruits. This beer is mainly geared toward the summer months, as evidenced by its presence at beer distributors. Give it a shot if you're a fan of SA.

3.42/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Hazy orange/yellow. Creamy, off-white head that sticks around. Decent lacing.

S: Cherry aroma is dominant.

T: Again, cherry is way up front. I do get some of the wheat flavor but I had to look for it. No alcohol taste, dryness or bitterness. If you like cherry, it's actually very drinkable.

M: Lighter body. Average carbonation.

O: Not the most complex of beers but I thought it was pretty refreshing and enjoyable. Would drink again in the summer.

3.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours into the glass with a nice golden yellow color. Smells like... cherries (not much of a surprise) with a malty sweetness. Hops are nearly undetectable due to the cherry smell. The taste is comparable to the aroma with more of an emphasis on the malt than the cherry. This is a very light bodied beer with a pleasant taste of cherries. It is remarkably clear for a wheat beer, but that is probably due to filtering process that Sam Adams does to all of it's brews.

I was not expecting much, but this is a good brew. I am not crazy about fruit beers, but this has a nice touch without overpowering the beer. Light and fruity.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cherry Wheat is in my top ten of Samuel Adams brews. Has good flavor, not over-powering. Great wheat flavor. Not too filling. Has decent cherry aroma, with slight wheat aroma. Too low of alcohol content for me. When I have a beer, I like some what of a kick. Cherry Wheat did not have much of one. To sum it up, I'll probably drink it again if offered, but not too often or any time in the near future.

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Pours a very light pale to straw color. Good 2 finger pearl white head. Only slight consistent carbonation. Looks great.

S: Very potent cherry smell. IBut this is a touch medicinal for me. I'm a fan of fruit infused beers that have such a strong fruit aroma. If I gave this to someone and told them to smell it without telling them what it was, they would definitely pickup the cherry notes first and foremost. The hops notes are supremely diminished which I personally like for this type of beer. BUT I couldn't imagine wanting all beers to smell like this all the time.

T: Wheat right upfront with a nice carbonation and a great smooth wheat and cherry aftertaste. It's exactly what I would look for in a fruit flavored beer. Little bit of a bite before the end. Alcohol isn't present. Great.

M: Definitely thin but the carbonation gives it a little bit more body which I like.

D: I would definitely buy this again if I was in the mood for a cherry beer. This is a once in awhile specialty though. I couldn't drink more than one in a day though because they are just so overwhelmingly cherry and your taste buds just get overworked.

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

This is a Sam Adams beer that is notorious for being bashed and criticized. Lets see if there is any truth to the negative claims and reviews.

A: Pours a nice golden color. Somewhat hazy. Head is nice and frothy and actually leaves some minimal lacing.

S/T: Pretty much all you get in the aroma is cherry. Actually reminds me of cherry pie. Taste is slightly less cherry however. It is the main flavor component, but the wheat kicks in as well. This isn't nearly as good as other cherry beers like Founders Cerise, but this is still pretty decent. Not a complex or strong beer, this one is perfect for summer refreshment. Tastes better than a lot people would lead you to believe.

M/D: Light bodied beer with nice carbonation. This is not a syrupy beer like other reviews state. It has a very clean finish. Very refreshing and has a nice drinkablility. Could drink more than one, but I would pick something more robust for a follow-up if I had the option.

Not a bad beer by any means, this is a beer that gives you exactly what is advertised. Very refreshing and easy drinkability make this one a solid choice for the hotter months. A good beer to have every once in a while, but not something that I would keep stocked in the fridge.

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

I believe the Cherry Wheat was the first Sam Adams brew I ever had. It makes for one of the perfect dessert beer. It brings a much sweeter taste than you might expect, but that isn't a bad thing. I'm not huge on fruit beer, but I would recommend the Cherry Wheat.

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

A nice bronze color. 1-finger head with very nice lacing the color of cream/bone. There is a very sweet cherry aroma that hits you right of the bat but its hard to detect anything else, there is a hint on banana. It has a very creamy mouth feel, with just enough carbonation. The Cherry, malt and hops flavors are fairly well in tune, however the cherry flavor seems somewhat over powering but it does finishing cleanly.

This beer is great with rhubarb pie or raspberry chocolate cheesecake...

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Pale yellow with a slight reddish hue, two finger head.

S- Mostly cherries with some residual alcohol notes.

T- Light malt sweetness up front lending way to a cherry finish.

M- Crisp and clean good carbonation.

D- For a fruity beer this is as good as it gets.

Cleary one of the best fruit beers out there.

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Slightly cloudy, copper color. It is more straw colored when held to the light. There is a quarter-inch white head of large bubbles. The head has average retention, leaving no lace. As I drink it, there is a little lace on the side of the glass. There are lots and lots of teeny-tiny bubbles.

S - Cherries! They are a little medicinal. There is not much else.

T - Initial cherry flavor, which is pretty well-balanced between sweetness and tartness. That is what I expected from Michigan cherries. The cherries give way to a bread malt flavor. There is a slight hop bitterness in the end, keeping it balanced.

M - Light to medium bodied with lively carbonation.

D - It started off easy and pretty refreshing. By the end of the 12 oz, though, the cherry flavor was a bit tiresome. Definitely don't want two in one sitting. I think this should be consumed quickly, before it gets a chance to warm.

look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, poured into pint glass. Best by May 2012.

Pours an ever-so-slightly reddish color. Not as hazy as the wheat would have you believe. About half a finger of white head that fades rapidly, leaving ok lacing.

Smells like sweet malt mixed with black cherry juice, with a teeeny hint of hops. I like cherries, so I enjoy it. Your mileage may vary.

Quite a bit of cherry flavor here, but not all of it tastes natural. Plenty of wheat in the aftertaste, followed by bitterness. Again, YMMV.

Medium body with fairly heavy carbonation. Works well.

It's not world-class, but it's certainly refreshing. I could drink a few of these on a summer day and be plenty happy.

look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I just finished off two of these obtained in my Summer Seasonal 12 pack from Sam Adams.

Color is copper, nothing unusual. Head is minimal and dissipates quickly.

Taste is much more cherry than malt, but it's a pleasant cherry flavor. I enjoyed this beer.

I might not buy it by the 6 pack, but I won't be disappointed to drink this beer in the variety pack. Sam Adams could improve the beer by cutting back on cherry flavor a little in favor of malt, and getting a little more carbonation.

Stephen

3.44/5  rDev +9.6%

12oz. Bottle poured into a glass.

Apperance: The head did not retain as well as i'd like. I got a quickly escaping Coors Light head out of this one. Honey gold in color in natural light and toasted honey in artificial.

Smell: By far the most impressive part of this beer would be it's nose. As soon as you pour it the head releases that great smell you got from the machino cherry jar. When I was a kid I loved drinking the juice from the machino cherry jar. i thought I was going to be in for a treat. The nose opens with sweet cherries, mild lemon and maybe some cream.

Taste: Lightly bitter, cherry, some lemon in the background, leaves you ready to drink more. Not much more than that.

Notes: start the night with your favorites, then step to the cherry wheat, your tastebuds wont be mad at you for trying to sneak on past 'em. I disagree with the cherry flavored addative. The lack of added artificial ingredients is why I love my other Sams.

3.44/5  rDev +9.6%

Notes: Hef-style glass, served cool but not cold, old bottle (6 months past recommended date)

Aroma: sour cherries
Appearance: yellow, clear. Half-inch head, dissipates quickly to light covering. Slight lacing on the sides.
Mouthfeel: light to medium body. Light carbonation.
Taste: Sweetness on the tip, sourness in the middle and back. Lingering sour aftertaste. Wheat taste and some cardboard (from the age).
Drinkability: sourness prevents it from being a sessions beer for me, but a nice sour beer.

3.44/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Formed minimal head that dissipated rather quickly. The smell of cherries is definitely the first thing that was noticed. Cherry taste seems a bit artificial and a little forced but the overall taste is good. Mouthfeel is ok. A little bitterness at the finish detracts from the overall rating. One or two of these beers is ok in one sitting but more than that and the taste is a bit repetitive. A pretty good beer overall.

3.44/5  rDev +9.6%

Revisited this beer for round two after an unpleasant first encounter. First time around, I wasn't prepared for the fruit beer (had never had one before) and thought it rather sickening. Served this one from the bottle into a beer glass.

Pours a dusty amber, very thin white head, ample carbonation streaming from the glass's bottom and sides.

Smells strongly of cherries -- dried or candied, but definitely matured and sweetened more than a fresh cherry scent.

Taste is very similar to the smell, seemed to finish a bit harsh at first but smoothed out markedly as the beer went on. A bit of a puckering taste, feels very fizzy and carbonated, too. Might be difficult to quaff more than a few of these between the strong flavor and the carbonation.

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice golden amber with an inch of creamy white head that left minor lacing.

Smelled slightly of wheat but much more strongly of Sweet Marachino Cherries.

Initially the taste comes of as a very dry wheat flavor with some cherry flavor coming through, still a nice slight bit of hops at the end. Not nearly as much cherry flavor as I remember in drinking this in the past, much more of a nice crisp amber beer flavor coming through.

Mouthfeel is rather thin and slightly slick feeling.

Overall not to bad for a fruit beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)