Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,125 | Hads: 3,633
2.79/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottle BB 3/15 at about 42 degrees into 8 oz glass
Aroma of cherry cough syrup
Head small (2 cm, aggressive pour), white, frothy, diminishing to 5 mm ring with 1 mm bullseye layer
Lacing good – nearly complete rings of tiny bubbles
Body medium yellow, clear
Flavor extremely sweet cherry cough syrup followed by a bitter chemical aftertaste. No hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate medium, creamy, fizzy carbonation

Appearance 4.5, Aroma 3, Flavor 2, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.25 (489 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +43.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is probably my favorite beer of the Samuel Adams line. Excellent flavor, and nice cloudy appearance as a wheat beer should have. Not available everywhere I've been, though, which is unfortunate. (199 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Stable head. About three fingers tall and doesn't go anywhere. Eventually when it does it leaves great lacing.

The body is a beautiful apricot glow, hazy with just enough light penetrating to enhance the beauty.

Aroma is of fresh picked cherries and hop. Some dark wheat notes also permeate the nose. Cherry in its natural fruit form is definitely there.

Taste is surprisingly awesome. It is fairly linear. It's got this mellow cherry buzz going on with a rush of clean wheat washed in cherry juice. The end is of earthy wheat and faint memories of a hop

Medium bodied, ends crisp, clean, dry.

I'd buy a sixer of this and store it in my fridge. It's about like Blue Moon in the way that it would probably go with any similar food pairings. I like it. (756 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +26.2%

This is by far my favorite Sam Adams varietal. Look is an expected unfiltered wheat. The cherry essence is very prevalent in the aroma; it entices you to the best part, the taste!
The blend of cherry and wheat beer is a perfect balance when you're looking for a good, honest, fruit-forward beer. (297 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

An obvious classic. Any time of year, any food pairing. Pairs well with Cosmic Fog Milk and Honey ejuice. Pleasant aroma heavy of cherry , thick creamy white head that dissipates quickly. The viscosity is a bit thick with a hint of carbonation. The artificial cherry flavor stings your tounge slightly but the hoppy wheat like flavor kind of balances it out . An easy drinker . Great beer overall. (397 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ahhh... Sam Cherry Wheat... a guilty pleasure of mine for years. As a more refined beer drinker, I'm not supposed to like this... but I do. Perhaps since it is brewed with MI cherries and I am a son of the mitten state. Maybe because it brings me back to my youth, with cherry cough syrup nostalgia. Or possibly because it's just a unique and flavorful beer experience that conjures fond memories. Poured in to a tulip glass, it fills with a hazy, golden honey color and one inch of white froth. The head dissipated quickly, leaving only a thin ring atop the nectar-like liquid. Maraschino cherries and honey sweetness in the nose. A touch of cereal grain and subtle noble hop character. There is certainly ample cherry flavor that brings a medicinal quality, but it is washed away in the finish with a wheat thin like aftertaste. The hops brighten the beer with only a hint of bitterness. The mouthfeel is average, but suits the brew well. It is deliciously drinkable for such a polarizing concoction. This is sure to turn some people off with its cherry lozenge likeness, but to others it's a perfect pleasure that can be savored on occasion. I typically crush these pretty quickly, so maybe savor is the wrong word. Maybe I drink them fast because it has a relatively tame ABV and it's refreshing. Or possibly because I want to hide the evidence as quickly as possible. Either way, I will continue to enjoy these from time to time. (1,437 characters)

3.24/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Anyone that buys a beer that has a fruit in it's name and then complains it just plain ignorant. The label tells you exactly what you're going to taste and for what it is, it's darn good. (187 characters)

My favorite Sam Adams. A friend in Michigan told me about this years before I could find it here in the South and it did not disappoint. This a beer for people who say they don't like beer and a nice dessert for beer lovers. It smells as sweet as it tastes but is amazingly fresh! And the sweetness doesn't taste artificial but genuinely seems to come from the cherries. (370 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

I liked the cherry aroma and taste. The rest of this beer was very average. Pours a clear dark gold color with a small white head. Average head retention and no lacing.

Sweet cherry aroma and some sweet cherry in the taste. The rest of the flavor comes from a pretty bland, slightly malty beer.

Mouthfeel is average richness but not much else. IT goes down easy enough but there is not enough here except the cherry flavor. Sub-par. (438 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I like Sam Adams and have had many beers from them, and I tried this with high expectation as wheat beers are one of my favorite styles and bought a six pack. Smell is cherry cough drops almost and sugary with a little hop and yeast smell. Color is light red maybe almost a darker pink. Head disappears quickly to almost nothing but with lacing. The taste is light medium feel and a sugary artificial cherry flavor to a little bit of hops and then the wheat beer comes through. I forced finished one and later on could not finish the second because the flavor just became unpleasant and ended up dumping the rest. (613 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy gold/straw with a one-finger white head that shows good retention. Lacing is heavy. Carbonation seems above average. Pretty nice looking beer.

Aroma: Cherries, cherries, cherries. The cherry smell really dominates the nose. It's a tiny bit like cough medicine. I was hoping it'd smell like pie, but it's not totally off-putting.

Taste: Lots more cherries. The wheat flavor is buried under a mountain of cherries; I'm not sure I'd know it was wheat-based beer if I drank it blind. It's not bad, but it's slightly medicinal, like the aroma that preceded it.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin. Probably should be thin, but I still like a little more body in a wheat beer.

Overall: Like most fruit beers, it's OK as a weird change of pace. Curious if you could cook with it - desserts, maybe. Otherwise passable. (867 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -46%

Ugh. Undrinkable on its own, it really shines when paired with a Guinness or Young's Chocolate stout in a half n half. Try it, you may be surprised. Never drink it alone though. That's a recipe for sadness. (206 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +17.3%

Of all the wheats I have tried, this one is the only one I'd actually buy a 6-pack of in the summertime. Maybe it's because I like cherries so much, I don't know. But this one was quite enjoyable. (198 characters)

Has to be the worst fruit beer I've ever had. totally unbalanced. Very tart to begin with but soon over powered by the excessive hop bitterness. I do not like bitter things. It may be a fruit beer for hopheads but I'll be pouring the second bottle down the sink. I don't dislike anyone enough to give it to them. (314 characters)

One thing that I have noticed about this beer living in several different parts of the country is the fact that it often sits on shelves in the mix and match singles area for a good bit of time. I am certain that this affects all beers, but wheat beers in particular.

That being said, I thought I would like the cherry flavor, but it just seems a little off to me. (367 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Im suprised Sam Adams came out with this cherry sewer water its very hard to drink and by the 3rd beer you want to stop and just smoke weed the cherry is too strong and i couldn't Finish a 6 pack. Overall I give it a 4/10 and im being generous with that score. just try it for yourself you might like it!!! Thanks guys\\
-JMAS (326 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat is one of the first fruitier beers I caught myself liking, and, if you can believe, is still only the second offering I've had by their brewery. At any rate, after a blind pickup in a make-your-own-six-pack, I kinda had to see what their recipe was in terms of making a more unconventional fruity beer, or one that didn't ostensibly rely on grapefruit and citrus undertones.

Appearance: Hazy and gold, with faint orangeness lurking all around. Was surprised at this, for I was expecting something like a copper-red or even a reddish orange. Also leaves an attractive lacing on the top of my class. No arguments here, though.

Smell: Smells almost like Boston Lager, if my senses don't fade me, with whiffs of cherry thrown in for good measure. Liking it so far.

Taste: A fair amount of wheatiness balanced beautifully by a natural cherry flavor, rather than the kind of overpowering, sugary flavor you get when drinking something like a Bud Light Lime Margarita or a headache-inducing alcopop. Blends perfectly to give a taste unlike anything I've had before.

Mouthfeel: Pleasantly wheaty, with the right amount of cherry flavoring - only wish this beer didn't bear a slightly bitter aftertaste, for it vaguely disrupts the palette of otherwise comfortable flavors.

Overall: I have a few other miscellaneous Samuel Adams offerings lurking in my fridge that I can't wait to try, but I really enjoy this beer all around, from its unexpectedly different appearance to the taste it leaves in your mouth after you've finished it. (1,554 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +13%

Appearance: Light yellow, a bit of a head.

Smell: Holy cherries! The smell is strong but not obnoxious.

Taste: I was expecting more of a cherry flavor, but it's nice it isn't overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Thick and smooth, very pleasant. Not too much carbonation.

Overall: Pretty nice, would drink again :) (305 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a lager glass.

A - Cloudy pale amber. Small head stays a long time. Spotty lacing.

S- Stunning blend of cherry and malt. Should be marketed as an air freshener!

T - Malty, cherry, honey goodness. Bitter finish gets more mellow after 5-7 minutes. Tasty.

M - Medium

O - Very good beer. I wish it had a touch more cherry flavor; but to each his own. Cheers! (384 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured a cloudy golden color with a slight reddish tint and three fingers of fluffy white head that slowly receded to a thin cap of foam leaving moderate lacing down the glass. Quite nice looking. Scents of cherries, a bit of cream, not much else. A simple, fruity aroma. Flavor is rather subdued, but pleasant, beginning with cherry with a faint medicinal hop undertone. In the middle wheat malt graininess joins the profile and hop flavors are grassy and slightly medicinal. Finish is sweet with notes of cherry and low levels of grassy hop bitterness. Aftertaste is grassy hops and grainy malt. A nicely fruity, fairly refreshing wheat beer flavor profile. Mouthfeel is creamy with moderate carbonation and a slight acidity on the finish. Refreshing and quite easy to drink. Overall this is a fairly nice pale wheat with a nice refreshing, fairly simple, flavor profile. (873 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

DATE REVIEWED: June 13, 2014... GLASSWARE: Lindemans flute... OCCASION: post-baseball banquet unwinding...APPEARANCE: hazy, cloudy off-yellow body; slight effervescence; nice, thick, somewhat rocky snow white head; reasonable, patterned lacing... AROMA: tart punch of cherries, yes--slightly malty, bready scents underscore the equally understated hops--but mostly, cherries... PALATE: medium-bodied, fizzy, carbonated--not as refreshing as expected, but more body too... TASTE: malt profile disrupts the cherry prominence, as does the honey which forms a funky, unsettled finish...some cardboard notes further damn the experience... OVERALLL: things were going well for this wheat--which is much better than Sam's cherry lambic--until I actually tasted it: a medicinal introduction, a drag of an aftertaste, and not really much to savor in between.... (852 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer at first sip taste a little bitter, like cough medicine, but it goes away almost immediately and as one continues to drink it, it tastes smooth and refreshing. I don't think it is a beer that will appeal to everyone since one has to get used to the taste, but it is a good beer overall, and although it is not a style that I purchase too often, I do buy the "cherry wheat" every once in a while for a different taste. (427 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +22.2%

The obvious and must abundant ingredient it the Cherry flavoring. I enjoy a little bit of fruity taste in beers. After my initial taste I could also detect a small trace of honey in the recipe that really made for a smooth blend that was light and crisp. (254 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cherry Wheat is in my top ten of Samuel Adams brews. Has good flavor, not over-powering. Great wheat flavor. Not too filling. Has decent cherry aroma, with slight wheat aroma. Too low of alcohol content for me. When I have a beer, I like some what of a kick. Cherry Wheat did not have much of one. To sum it up, I'll probably drink it again if offered, but not too often or any time in the near future. (402 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A decent tasting wheat. Very refreshing. You can definitely taste the cherry but it over powers the wheat flavor just a hair to much for me. Little to no head. Has a very good smell, you can really smell the cherry. A solid wheat beer but not my favorite of the style either. Would be great on a warm day. (305 characters)

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)