2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Ratings: 2,929 | Reviews: 1,079 | Show All Ratings:
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

2.8/5  rDev -10.5%

355ml bottle poured into pint glass 29/8/12

A golden yellow with lots of bubbles that grow as they rise too a thin film that never really falls and leaves a partial ring of lace

S maraschino cherry flavored cough syrup and a little honey

T reminds me of Cherry Neo Citron poured over cereal, not as bad as it sounds but still far from good

M thin and airy, fake cherry flavor lingers for quite some time

O reminds me more of medicine then beer, drinkable but I wasen´t craving another

I normally like Sam Adams but this one was nothing too write home about, even in the sweltering heat one was enough

08-31-2012 01:53:23 | More by wordemupg
razordm

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am going to ignore the mostly poor ratings by others, although I admit to be a beer taste rookie. I really like this beer, but I am a fan of cherry flavor (Cherry Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc.) as well as wheat beer in general. I found the amount of cherry just right though the mouthfeel was a bit heavy. I'd definitely buy it again.

08-26-2012 22:50:52 | More by razordm
UCLABrewN84

2.35/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a clear light reddish-orange with a foamy tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. No lacing on this one. Smell is of wheat, grain, and some artificial cherry aromas. Taste is much the same with an almost sickening medicinal cherry flavor that lingers long after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer that is pretty gross and undrinkable.

08-25-2012 05:52:50 | More by UCLABrewN84
jjamadorphd

3.6/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Surprising cherry smell, it was completely unexpected. By far the best Sam Adams I've had. I like the slightly reddish tinge to the dark colored beer and it poured a good head. Overall, I was pleased and would definitely spend some change to have this beer in my fridge again.

08-18-2012 16:27:09 | More by jjamadorphd
ZachStone625

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Yuck, just YUCK. I'm normally a fan of Sam Adams, with their pub at the shipyard here in Bremerton, but this is like taking a perfectly good wheat beer, and mixing some cherry Robitussin in... why??? Why would you do that?

Please understand, though, that I'm a malty beer guy. You fruit beer types might like this, and with that I will say that the cherry flavor does in fact somewhat dance in a balanced fashion with normal beer flavors of wheat and hoppy bitterness. However, for me, the cherry was too much. It's like playing beer pong while you're on a dare from a friend to do a Cherry WarHead (remember those?). You can taste the beer, but you're too distracted by the clenching, undeniable kick in the face of CHERRIES. I finished the beer, but I'm not likely to buy it again. After two bottles to confirm my personal verdict I gave the rest of the sixpack to a friend, so they could deal with it.

So, all in all, not bad, and if fruit beer is your thing, go for it. If you're a strictly beer or malty, bready type like me who prefers that a hop or fruit overload stay out of his mug or growler (or even a single/double/triple IPA guy who would eat a handful of hop flowers on his own free will), reach for another beer at the 7-11. This one is too much fruit, not enough beer.

08-12-2012 05:08:38 | More by ZachStone625
MDDMD

3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

A-slightly hazy golden yellow color with a decent white head and some lacing

S-wheat malt and dark cherry

T- wheat malt and cherry cough syrup, little bitterness or hop presence, lingering cherry

F-light to medium body with moderate carbonation

O-just can't get by the cough syrup taste

08-05-2012 16:49:45 | More by MDDMD
Alextricity

3.35/5  rDev +7%

Purchased along with 5 other S.A. beers in the Summer Variety Pack. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: It looks terrible unless you do an aggressive pour... if you do that, you get a nice head, and cherry aroma really comes at you.

Smell: I highly disagree with what other have said about the smell -- I think this smells insanely good. COMPLETELY unlike a beer, but fantastic. A full blast of cherry.

Taste: Not quite like the smell -- on the first sip I immediately thought of Cheerios with cherries. After that, the heavy taste of cherries and wheat subdued, and it tasted like a mild cherry pop, which I don't think is a bad thing at all. I could see why many beer drinkers would be turned off, but I had an open mind coming in.

Mouthfeel: As I said, it's quite a bit like drinking a cherry pop. It's still got a bit of that wheaty, beery taste, but sometimes it's easy to forget what you're drinking is supposed to be BEER.

Overall, I liked this better at a local bar that mixed it with Guinness on tap (Called a "Black Cherry")... regardless, this is still a decent beer. Like S.A's Blackberry Witbier -- and I'd figure most fruity beers I would ever drink -- I wouldn't be able to have more than one in a session. This drinks almost like an after dinner, dessert-type beer.

A very interesting beer. I recommend you try this out. As much as people seem to dislike this beer (A 70 rating on this site for a Sam Adams' beer is really quite low), I have a feeling this is one of their top sellers. I don't KNOW that, I'm just taking a guess... I feel it's super popular among women. I could be wrong though.

08-04-2012 01:53:27 | More by Alextricity
SometimesIfart

2.35/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass. Pours a murky gold with a one finger head, Leaving no lacing. The smell is of faint cherries and Robitussin. Nothing else. The taste is of cherries, And somewhat of light toasted barley and malt. Absolutely nothing else. The mouthfeel allows the complete medicinal flavor to come through, Seriously tasted like Robitussin Nighttime if you let it sit for long enough. Oh well, I didn't pay for it so whatever. A terrible offering by Sam Adams, Even worse than the Summer Ale.

07-29-2012 00:21:12 | More by SometimesIfart
ShameAndFailure

1.68/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I never thought I would drain pour a Sam Adams but here I am. Absolute disaster. The smell was medicinal cherry and the taste was more of the same. I could barely stop from throwing up. Bottle dating was fresh by sept 2012 so still fresh.

Just wow. I picked up a mixed pack and this was the worst of the bunch.

07-27-2012 02:25:01 | More by ShameAndFailure
kds10011

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

This came in a summer variety pack, coupled with Boston Lager, East-West Koelsch, Nobel Pils, Summer Ale, and Belgian Session.

I felt a bit skeptical of this, weary that it might be overdone, as are many beers with fruit. Served in a New Belgium globe, with sediment intentionally and properly delivered.

A: Bright body, shining head of fine bubbles that doesn't stay around too long. It did, however, cling to the glass.
S: MARASCHINO. (caps for emphasis.) No trace of hops or malt. Pleasant.
Body: A breed of smoothness that reminds me of Chimay Tripel, owing to the fine bubbles. Graspable.
T: Sweet. First words out of my mouth: Cherry Coke. But not in a bad way, honestly. It doesn't have the biting acidity of an over-carbonated soda. Later, a vague trace of hops. Aftertaste has a remnant of light malt. As it warms, you get a fresh marshmallow impression, if such a thing could exist.

This is incredibly pleasant, despite the fact that it makes little celebration of hops and malt. I think this is meant as a tool to get people interested in different beers. For that, I like it. It's a bit one-dimensional, but tasty indeed. It might be fun to cook with this. Hey! It's in a SUMMER pack, after all! Lighten up.

07-27-2012 01:42:25 | More by kds10011
stephen1162

3.45/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I just finished off two of these obtained in my Summer Seasonal 12 pack from Sam Adams.

Color is copper, nothing unusual. Head is minimal and dissipates quickly.

Taste is much more cherry than malt, but it's a pleasant cherry flavor. I enjoyed this beer.

I might not buy it by the 6 pack, but I won't be disappointed to drink this beer in the variety pack. Sam Adams could improve the beer by cutting back on cherry flavor a little in favor of malt, and getting a little more carbonation.

Stephen

07-25-2012 21:20:16 | More by stephen1162
jmarklan

2.63/5  rDev -16%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a nice golden color... two fingers of head dissipate pretty quickly.

S: Smells of slightly fermented cherries... slightly reminiscent of cherry medicine.

T: The cherry flavor explodes in first and is improved upon by the wheat and a slight malty sweetness.

M: Light body, crisp, dry in the finish.

Overall: I'm not a fan of this one... probably my least favorite from sam adams. Would have been solid if the cherry was more subtle.

07-22-2012 05:57:54 | More by jmarklan
atr2605

3.28/5  rDev +4.8%

A-pours an orange/really soft amber coloe with a fluffy off white head with pretty good retention
S-cherry cough syrup and wheat
T-More of the same. Cherry and wheat malt mixed up front met with some hop bitterness and leaves cherry flavor on the palate. It's honestly not badly balanced but the artificial cherry flavor is a bit much
M-medium-light bodied
O-Not my favorite but I could drink it

07-06-2012 01:47:17 | More by atr2605
pistola

4.38/5  rDev +39.9%

Great Fruit Beer. I keep buying this without the intent of getting it because I like to try many different brews. But for some reason, I really enjoy this beer. To me, its got a great summer cherry, nutty flavor that goes down easy and smooth. Great brew while cutting the grass or working in the garage etc... I like it.

07-01-2012 19:22:16 | More by pistola
JustinAniello

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev +25.6%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy yellow-orange with a one and a half finger head. Dissipates quickly to a light cap and sticky lacing.

S - Heavy sweet cherries, background of wheat, very nice.

T - Sweet at first, very small cherry flavor, then a huge burst of the cherries on the swallow. Mild yeast and hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

M - Medium body, heavy carbonation. Needs less bubbles.

O - I feel this is a really good cherry beer, a little heavy handed in the aroma but a great flavor profile. Like many of their beers, a bit too much carbonation. Nice to have if you are in the mood for a fruity beer.

06-27-2012 23:58:02 | More by JustinAniello
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.73/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

these are unkind reviews. this is actually a pretty damn good fruit beer. it pours rather plain looking very clear golden color with a small white head. smells like fresh black cherries, floral and juicy, with plenty of wheat malts and a fairly mild yeast strain. flavor is major cherry all the way through. not dissimilar to the cherry vanilla yogurts ive seen around in the groceries. its got that sort of sweet fresh fruit element that i really like, it bitters for a second and then rounds out at the end. id like so see a more funky yeast get into the mix, saison style or something, i think that would give this beer a real kick in the crotch, but its tasty as it is in my opinion. feel is light and gassy, good in summer and also with a certain holiday appeal.

06-27-2012 10:40:32 | More by StonedTrippin
BryanCarey

3.28/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A fruity brew, indeed, Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat pours to a golden color with an aroma that is decidedly cherry- like in nature, similar to a cherry soda. The foam level is okay at first, but doesn’t last very long.

Tasting this beer reveals its cherry nature even further. It is cherry all the way, but the good thing is that the beer doesn’t take the flavor to extreme levels of sweetness. There is a certain degree of tartness and the wheat base is evident, with some bread/dough notes and an overall flavor that reminds me of a bowl of wheat flakes with added fruit. It manages to pull off a certain dryness in the finish and the aftertaste of cherries remains with you for a while after the last sip.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat is a refreshing brew and it makes a good choice for a hot summer day. I know that some will be turned off by the fruitiness and while I generally do not go for fruit beers myself, I find the medium body and tartness sufficient to enjoy this beer and recommend it for your next encounter with hot weather.

06-26-2012 20:40:55 | More by BryanCarey
Kooz

A heavy cherry scent over a bed of wheat base. Very nice smell.

Looks like a typical wheat ale--golden, maybe a bit straw-colored, and clear.

Tastes mellow and smooth--no bite so you can take a nice long pull; cherry flavor but not strong (I remember this from years ago being too sweet--I don't know if my tastes have changed or their beer). I like the taste of this--I'm finding it to be very refreshing.

Excellent mouthfeel as I've come to expect from Sam Adams. Very creamy and thick--excellent.

I'm really surprised by this beer. I haven't tried it in 10 years, and my memories of it were not kind. I am pleased to report it is actually pretty amazing!

06-25-2012 03:50:07 | More by Kooz
scratch69

Missouri

3.78/5  rDev +20.8%

I poured a bottle into a Samuel Adams glass.

Appearance- Hazy golden color with a fingers worth of white head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Cherries and wheat with a hint of hops.

Taste- Strong flavor of cherries. Wheat malt flavors are also present along with a slight hop presence.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Smooth with a slightly dry finish.

Overall- A decent fruit beer. A refreshing change of pace.

06-24-2012 15:02:37 | More by scratch69
adamette

3.73/5  rDev +19.2%

Live review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle that I bought as a part of a Sam Adams "Summer Series" or something like that from Sam's Club a few weeks ago into a clean, clear glass. "Best by" date of Aug 2012 so I am good.

A All too brief but creamy head over a somewhat disappointing translucent yellow body. My minor disappointment is in the fact that it is not cherry in color whatsoever. It looks like a straight up wheat ale. 2.5

S I really like the smell of this beer. Having recovered from my disappointment in the color, the smell carries the welcomed smell of cherries and....well....wheat! 3.5

T Many that I know (including most recently my brother in law Mat) indicated that they do not like the taste of this beer. "It is too fruity, it is a chick beer." I differ from that opinion. I find it light and refreshing and most importantly, exactly what was advertised...a cherry wheat beer. 4.0

M Smooth and somewhat effervescent. The feel is pleasing, making this very easy to drink. 4.0

D/O Drinkability is commented on above. Overall I find this beer to be better than average and I am not afraid to say so. 3.5

Notes: I was surprised to find that I last reviewed this beer (from a tap version) 4 years ago tonight. Kind of cool, huh?

06-21-2012 01:25:56 | More by adamette
pisano

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a: pours a nice looking hazy golden orange with half finger white head

s: malt sweetness, maraschino cherries, light spice notes

t: similar to the nose but with good balance between malt sweetness and hop bitterness, some sweetness from the honey, biscuity finish with lingering bitterness

m: medium body, moderate carbonation

o: not much going on with this one but i don't mind it

06-20-2012 23:33:19 | More by pisano
zaphodchak

3.1/5  rDev -1%

About a finger of white head and a hazy blond/gold body.

Smells kinda cherry-ish, but more like cherry fruit snacks or maybe cherry soda.

Well, at least it's not cough syrup. On the cherry spectrum, it does get a bit too close though. While I've had worse cherry flavor in beer (and in fairness, it is really, really hard to do well), this one isn't working too well. It's by no means horrible, but it's not particularly good, either. Wheat is playing second fiddle here, but it's present enough to keep the cherry from being overwhelming.

Mouthfeel on the other hand is the saving grace of this beer. It's pretty thick, but with a lot of body, which both keeps it from being syrupy and from being too thin and soda-y.

Not very good, but not terrible either.

06-20-2012 01:41:18 | More by zaphodchak
MattyG85

3.85/5  rDev +23%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright and slightly cloudy golden orange with a huge five finger white foam head that holds up pretty well. Leaves lots of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Big smell of sweet and tart cherries up front backed by bready pale malts. Cereal grains and hints of biscuit. Some hints of lemon zest and honey. Light hints of earthy noble hops in the background. The cherry is by far the biggest note here. It almost smells like liquid cake.

Taste: Like the aroma but with more balance. Big taste of cherries throughout. Light hints of honey and lemon. Decent bready biscuit taste from pale malts and cereal grains. Some spicy noble hops help cut some of the sweetness in the finish. This is sweet but far from cloying or medicine like.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, crisp, and slick. Somewhat syrupy.

Overall: This comes out pretty decent for a fruit wheat beer. Fruits are sweet but not overbearing. A nice summer beer.

06-19-2012 06:21:44 | More by MattyG85
Mora2000

3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

The beer pours a hazy golden orange color with a white head. The aroma has a bit of wheat, but what really comes through strongly is a ton of syrupy cherry notes. The flavor is more of the same, with the sweet, syrupy cherry notes coming through up front. I also get some wheat in the flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

06-18-2012 06:07:37 | More by Mora2000
StoutHunter

2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

I got a bottle of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat in their summer variety pack for $12.99 at Krogers, I have had this beer many times over the years, mainly when I first started to get into craft beer, I am not a big fan of this beer but since it came in their summer pack I might as well review them like the other beers in the pack, so lets see what I think about this beer now. Best by October. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and run of the mill, it should have some cherry's or something on it. It poured a nice looking golden orange color that was a little hazy and it looked the same when held to the light, it also had two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some patchy lacing. This is a good looking beer, no complaints here.

S- Wow this beer is really aromatic, I don't have to have my nose close to the glass to smell this beer, it starts off with loads of sweet cherry that have a pretty artificial aroma, it smells similar to the red syrup that is put on snow cones, with some medicinal cough syrup towards the end. After that comes some sweet wheat malts that impart a sweet and bready aroma with a real slight lemon aroma towards the end, no hops to be found. The aroma isn't that good there's just way too much artificial cherry aromas, I think it would be hard to tell the difference between this and cheap fruit juice just by the aroma.

T- The taste isn't that similar to the aroma, it's much more beer like, it starts off with a little bit of cherry flavors which isn't as artificial as it was in the aroma and is quickly followed by a good amount of wheat malts that have a higher amount of sweetness to them and impart some grainy, wheaty, and bready flavors followed by some slight doughy yeast flavors. Next comes more cherrys which are a little more artificial tasting and have some of those medicinal cough syrup flavors to them that carry on to the aftertaste with a light wheat flavor and it had a pretty light amount of bitterness. The flavor is just ok the wheat base shows up a little more but the cherrys still aren't that pleasing and they wear on me, average at best.

M- Slightly smooth, somewhat dry finish, pretty creamy, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little fizzy and slightly prickly. The mouthfeel wasn't bad, but the carbonation needed to be toned down a little.

Overall I don't like this beer and I thought that is was an average example of a Cherry Wheat beer, I can see why some people like it but to me not enough good beer qualitys shine through. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, not that smooth with the high sweetness and medicinal flavors, one is more then enough for me, there's no way I would want another. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, if looked pretty nice and had some good head retention along with a nice color. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness and the artificial cherrys in the flavor and aroma, to me they hurt this beer and were not enjoyable. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own and I hate when they throw this in their variety packs, when they do it's always my least favorite of the pack, I don't recommend this beer, there's much better fruit beers out there. I wasn't impressed with this beer and never have been, but for some reason this beer appeals to a lot of people so there's no chance of it changing anytime soon. If I am in the mood for a fruit beer, I would much rather have a Short's Soft Parade, I think it's a far superior beer. This beer just isn't for me, hope the next one I try from you guys is much better.

06-15-2012 04:10:36 | More by StoutHunter
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)