1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Ratings: 2,922 | Reviews: 1,079 | Show All Ratings:
justintcoons

2.63/5  rDev -16.2%

On-tap poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance
Gold with 1 finger of white head. Slightly hazy with low carbonation.

Nose
Maraschino cherry and cherry cough syrup. Touches of lemon.

Taste
Pretty much cherry all around. A blend of maraschino cherry, cherry cough syrup and cherry hard candies. Hints of spent grain, lemon and wheat. There is some astringent earthy flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel
Light-medium bodied, crisp and clean.

Overall
I used to really like this stuff when I first started drinking beer...not so much now.

04-07-2013 19:39:28 | More by justintcoons
pmorey

Indiana

3.11/5  rDev -1%

Tap pull into a Samuel Adams glass. Typical wheat beer haze with an almost golden-green color. Nice two finger head that did not stick around for long but the ring did lace down the glass. Strong cherry scent on the nose.

Tastes of tart cherry and sourdough bread. A little off putting and first drink felt chalky in my mouth. I really like cherries but this was hard to finish and I can't really put my finger on why. This beer is not terrible, and I will probably give it another try sometime, but cannot honestly say it will be anytime soon.

04-03-2013 01:20:25 | More by pmorey
JGargano

Connecticut

2.91/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This beer smells delicious. Very strong scent of cherries and very strong taste of cherries. Quite refreshing but a little overpowering at times. The only thing that is not satisfactory is that the beer stains the lines at bars and whatever is put on after the Cherry Wheat ends up having a faint(old) taste of cherries. The cherry taste is delightful but a bit too boastful.

03-16-2013 17:16:58 | More by JGargano
tectactoe

2.28/5  rDev -27.4%

Had in a bottle long before I was "into" craft beer. Had it again on tap once I entered the craft realm. Pours a wheaty, sunburst orange color, considerably hazy and basically perfectly opaque in the mid-section of the brew. Slightly off-white head is sparkly and foamy and recedes relatively quick leaving some mild lacing behind. The aroma is cherry. That's it. That's all. Just cherries. I mean, I could sit here and tell you "it has some wheat in the background", because it does, but you have to search so hard for it beneath the cherry blanket that by that point it isn't worth it anymore. The cherries smell sweet, tart, and actually a little medicinally cloying. Weird combination, right? I can't decide if this aroma is good or bad - but the fact that I must ask myself that question tells me it's probably the latter.

It hits my palate, medium bodied and heavily carbonated. And that's where shit hits the fan. WOW, the cherry presence is not only overwhelming, but it's basically the only thing you can taste. And as mentioned for the aroma, it's not a very "good" cherry perspective. Hints of the profile taste natural and real - some tartness and sweetness that couldn't be mistaken for anything but fresh cherries. However, it's like the brewers decided that it wasn't enough, and they took it a step further and added a butt-load of extra, artificial cherry flavor to push the flavor envelope of the max. Chalky, medicinal, vitamin-like. It's like, tart cherry cough syrup. Or a sweeter version of a cherry flavored Flintstones vitamin. Aftertaste has a slaughtered wheat profile, still majorly enveloped by the cherry onslaught.

Buuuh. Save yourself the trouble with this one. The cherry is just way too overdone and overpowering, nearly to the point of being undrinkable. And it's not the "fruit-lambic" kind of cherry. It's more of a "take your medicine" kind of cherry. Definitely not for me.

01-24-2013 17:22:19 | More by tectactoe
dictatorial

4.65/5  rDev +48.1%

This beer is amazing. The flavor is very sweet which I don't usually enjoy, but in this case it seems to be done wonderfully. I had it on tap, into a pint glass and it was one of the better beers I have ever had. The appearance is like a light weizen, not red like I expected. The smell is beautiful with a bright cherry scent. The taste is brilliant cherry - as I said sweet, but not overbearing. The mouthfeel is nothing special, not bad, but nothing to write home about - definitely nothing left over but a great taste. Overall, I highly recommend it - even for a flavored beer.

11-28-2012 00:09:22 | More by dictatorial
TheDinger

South Carolina

3.63/5  rDev +15.6%

Had this on tap at Atlanta airport. Nice presentation with an interesting amber clouded clour. Adequate 1+ finger white head that stuck around a bit. Smell was a bit of some dulled cherries and some yeast. Nothing remarkable. Taste was pretty decent. I will preface this by saying I grew up on Michigan cherries and enjoy that tart over the top taste. That being said, I didn't get the medicine taste as others have pointed out. A definite fruit beer that IMO is a good combination and quite drinkable. Feel was a good bit of carbonation and medium body. Overall- I think it a pretty good effort from SA. I like the tartness and blend of the hops that evident. Probably need to really enjoy cherries for this one to go down smoothly. An interesting blend that I would drink again-

08-16-2012 00:25:13 | More by TheDinger
TheRealBigC

Nevada

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Cherry wheat should have been tasty, instead it tastes a little bit like medicine beer. Medicine like the liquid stuff my mom used to feed me when I was a kid. Once you get passed that odd taste, the rest of it isn't so bad. Maybe I just have some sort of bad association with that particular flavor.

08-02-2012 17:10:54 | More by TheRealBigC
Murrhey

Montana

1.98/5  rDev -36.9%

Poured on-tap at the Stadium Tavern in Fullerton, CA. Reviewed from notes.

A- Typical Sam Adams fluffy head. Finger and a half thick. Orange color. Long retention.

S- Smells like cherry cough medicine. Very strong. Oofah.

T- I think someone just poured cough medicine into my beer. Disgusting.

M- Medium bodied and sticky.

O- Avoid unless you like adult koolaid.

04-01-2012 18:33:07 | More by Murrhey
Jamesthebrit

2.75/5  rDev -12.4%

The odd thing about this is I had it on tap for a second time, and the first time I remember it being much better. Anyway, this is from notes of the second time.

A: Light amber, and looks like a cheap mass market beer.
S: The cherry really stands out and doesn't seem to blend well with the other scents.
T: There are things I like about the taste: the cherry is nice, and the wheat is nice, but they don't compliment each other. They stand independent and this keeps the tastes average in my book.
M: Sits too bubbly and the tartness really lingers around. Sits bitter and aggressive.

Overall I think the thing that really made me not care for this beer is it got progressively worse as I made it through my glass, almost to the point where I didn't want to finish it. I thought the execution was poor, but it was interesting to see what they were getting at.

02-19-2012 16:57:32 | More by Jamesthebrit
JohnnyChicago

2.35/5  rDev -25.2%

On-tap at some bar deep in queens; served in a weizen glass.

A: Its a clear staw with a smidgen of white head...nothing wrong here

S: Smells like artificial cherry pie filling. I know SA claims that this is from real cherries, but I've never smelled cherries that smelled like this. Its a pretty rough aroma - cloying and nasty; no wheat here.

T: Tastes like they took coastal wheat and dumped a tablespoon of Robitussin in it, seriously, that's exactly what it tastes like.

D: Due to it being nasty, this one loses in the drinkability department. Its not bad enough to be a drainpour, but its flavour is just not that good. Fortunately, the flavour is a little light.

Overall: I was not a fan of this. Its tough to make a good fruit wheat beer, and still every brewery thinks they can do it. This is pretty rough stuff and lacks the balance that Sam Adams usually gets down.

11-04-2011 20:31:08 | More by JohnnyChicago
alohaspicoli

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Hazy orange/yellow. Creamy, off-white head that sticks around. Decent lacing.

S: Cherry aroma is dominant.

T: Again, cherry is way up front. I do get some of the wheat flavor but I had to look for it. No alcohol taste, dryness or bitterness. If you like cherry, it's actually very drinkable.

M: Lighter body. Average carbonation.

O: Not the most complex of beers but I thought it was pretty refreshing and enjoyable. Would drink again in the summer.

10-26-2011 15:12:46 | More by alohaspicoli
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.7/5  rDev -14%

On-tap in front of many screens of (surprise!) hockey in Southgate, Michigan.

This beer appears a hazy pale golden colour with one finger of creamy white head, which renders but a few streaks of lace around the glass in its hasty wake. It smells of sweet cherry gum, and overly-sugary malt. The taste is cherry cough syrup, sweet wheat, and a bit of yeast. The carbonation is average, the body medium weight, and kind of slick, and not really all that smooth. It finishes with a sweet edgy, grainy wheatiness, and latent cherry candy saccharine overload.

It wavers kind of sickeningly between confection and medicine - after a few too many sips, I couldn't finish it.

09-22-2011 06:45:34 | More by biboergosum
joemcgrath27

Alberta (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Stumbled across this on tap at a Sam Adam's pub in Los Angeles Airport (from notes)
A - Very hazy straw yellow, short creamy head settled at a solid cover
S - Pungent merachino cherry odour, bready and a hint of nuttiness
T - Much like the nose with a candied smell, candy sweet, buttery bread, but a mild sense of artificial flavour
M - Bready fullness, mildish carbonation, pretty smooth and a little dry finish
O - Flavour as advertized, a pleasant summer sipper, glad I came across this by chance in an airport lounge

07-31-2011 04:16:47 | More by joemcgrath27
kylehay2004

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Single finger head quickly dissipates. Color is golden and minimal hazieness, typical wheat beer appearance.

One key point I have noticed that differed from my experience with the aroma is the cherry smell was very understated. I am wondering if it is due to my review following a beer I had on tap as >90% of these reviews are after having the beer in a bottle. The taste of cherry is certainly well apparent but not overwhelming and refreshing.

Good for summer activities.

06-28-2011 15:17:38 | More by kylehay2004
tkepx182

3.8/5  rDev +21%

The cherry wheat is exactly what it is advertized as, a beer that has the flavor and aroma of cherries. I was surprised by the beer, however, i am not a fan of cherries and could have done without sampling this beer. I would recommended the beer to fans of cherries.

05-15-2011 21:02:10 | More by tkepx182
9InchNails

3.6/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden body with a white creamy film. Some lacing on the glass from the head. Eventually the head disappears.

Fresh cherries all around. Smells quite sweet.

I get cherry upfront but then blends into a almost vanilla/caramel toastiness with a dry wheat flavor. Not bad.

Carbonation on the medium side. Light, quite crisp clean flavor.

Not a bad fruit beer. It's a nice summer beer for sure. Smell of sweet cherries is definitely the highlight here.

04-30-2011 06:04:49 | More by 9InchNails
Knapp85

Cherry Wharton has got to be one of my 5 top Sam Adams releases. This beer is really great on it's own or as a dessert after a meal. The beer is on the lighter side, the color is golden. The head sticks around for a bit. The cherry flavor is super sweet in the beginning but trails off near the end when your taste buds are getting used to it. The aroma of this beer is wonderful. This beer is great if your just having one. If you start to have two or three back to back it starts to lose it's intensity. Very good though!

03-30-2011 19:20:30 | More by Knapp85
MikeRa

4.35/5  rDev +38.5%

Had from tap and served in the Boston Lager glass

A: The Sam Adams Cherry Wheat has a hazy orange color with with a 1" head

S: This beer had a excellent Michigan Cherry smell

T: This beer has the Cherry and Malted Wheat taste right upfront with excellent carbonation and a smooth cereal notes, citrus taste from the Bavarian Noble hops, and cherry aftertaste, with a hint of honey.

M: This beer goes down real smooth

Overall/Drinkability: This is a beer that I will drink again.

03-25-2011 00:54:00 | More by MikeRa
Ralphs66

3.48/5  rDev +10.8%

Well, the tap SAID cherry wheat, but alas, the cherry is CHERRY and the wheat is, well, um...well, just not there. I like lambics very much, and I like fruit beers overall; but I wanted something more from this one. Looked nice (20 oz draft at Chili's) and went down as smooth as you could possibly ask for, but the cherry was a bit over the top. My daughter dipped her finger in and said "UMMM", right before she attacked the chocolate molten lave cake, so you know where her head was at and how this beer fit right into it. After a few first sips, I thought this might be a good session beer, as I was watching some March Madness, but the fruitiness might disallow this.

03-20-2011 22:30:48 | More by Ralphs66
mattjv

Connecticut

2.15/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Shared a pitcher of this with great company over brick oven pizza.

Appearance is typical for a wheat beer, cloudy with copper color. Smells good enough, light wheat malt in front followed by huge cherry presence.

Taste is where this brew took a turn for the worse. Light malty palate smooth from the wheat, quickly crushed by an overwhelming, cloying, sickeningly sweet cherry presence. The cherry flavor is one-dimensional and tastes completely artificial. A cherry flavored candy or cherry cough medicine is what this reminds me of, not actual cherries. The body was refreshing but drinkability was non existent, every sip made me cringe.

I realize that fruit beers seem to be a very polarizing style. I enjoy them, but not with a flavor this overwhelming. I could barely stomach a glass but if you prefer a fruit beer with intense, in your face flavor this may be right up your alley.

03-07-2011 04:50:52 | More by mattjv
zrab11

Indiana

3.73/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a crisp clean yellow color

S-Has a very stong cherry smell

T-Tastes like eating a jar of cerries

M-light bodied with good carbonation

D-This is very drinkable if you love cherries. I like cheeries but don't love them. With this had alittle more boozey flavor. Overall a good beer but too much cheerieness

02-26-2011 18:13:12 | More by zrab11
smakawhat

Maryland

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured on tap into a pint glass.

Since I didn't pour it myself, head is barely a finger of white but manages to leave a simple collar throughout while drinking. Body is fairly clear and clean of a simple light gold with some visible carbonation. No lacing to speak of.

Bouquet is an overly dominant smell of supermarket from the jar artificial neon red maraschino cherries. The fake stuff, not real cherries. No biscuit aroma, no hops no nothing. It's an overwhelming artificial smell as if you just cracked open the lid. Since it's named Cherry wheat I give it props, but since I hate fake cherries with a passion, I am also not pleased therefore it gets middle of the road for smell.

Taste. Overall not too bad, the biscuit and bread isn't really in the taste until you swallow then there's a bit of bread chew on the swallow. Body is very solid and not too wet either. It is once again overwhelmingly a fake cherry fruit and very sugar sweet.

If that cherry "type" of smell and taste is your thing you'll love this beer. For me though it isn't that great cause I prefer real fruit taste and this isn't it. But it does have characteristics of a solid wheat ale almost and that makes it at least drinkable.

02-05-2011 02:49:13 | More by smakawhat
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

Had this on tap at the Newark airport, waiting for my flight back to Toronto. I knew this didn't have the best ratings, but the other selections were a couple other Sam Adams, plus typical macro lagers. Pours a pinkish-orange colour with thin white head. Smells of very sweet artificial cherry, similar to cherry candy. Some faint wheat aroma is there too. Quite a sweet flavour. Medium body carbonation. Easy to drink beer, just too sweet to have more than one in a row.

01-09-2011 01:27:12 | More by kwjd
socon67

4.38/5  rDev +39.5%

This is one of the first beers that got me into going outside the BMC pack. Always have a soft spot for the cherry wheat.

A - Pours orange and clear.

S - Very nice cherry smell. Also has a great wheat smell, like fresh bread.

T - Just love the taste. Sweet with cherry taste.

M - Light bodied, and not too bitter a finish. Minimal carbonation.

D - Extremely drinkable. Many an event has ended with lots of empty bottles of cherry wheat.

Just a big fan of this one.

01-06-2011 02:28:25 | More by socon67
akorsak

3.53/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Champions. Oh yeah, the Ravens beat the Saints!

A: The ale is cloudy, a coppery light color that looks heavy with sediment. That sediment leaves the ale opaque despite the lighter hue. A finger of white head accompanies the beer.

S: The nose has sweet cherry juice that dominates all other aspects. The fruits reign supreme and what little wheat escapes is bready rather than tart.

T: The ale practically screams out 'Cherry Juice'. That sweetness, a tempered flavor, semi-sweet and lacking a syrupy twang, isn't as bad as you'd think. Objectively, it comes close to cloying but, just as it does, the wheat rides in to save the day. The flavor, sweet with a bready flavor that doesn't come close to wheat tartness, isn't half bad, especially if one is in the mood for a fruit beer.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet, full of sweet cherry juices. The malt body is thick, an able support for the cherries.

D: Very drinkable and lower in alcohol. Not a go-to fruit beer but drinkable enough.

12-19-2010 22:20:53 | More by akorsak
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)