Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,138 | Hads: 3,688
3.01/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

This beer is about what you would expect. Medium to strong artificial cherry flavor, but the wheat taste also comes through. Pretty drinkable, on the thin side. I'd drink it again but wouldn't seek it out.

4.7/5  rDev +46%

Sweet cherry and fine brew marry together in a harmonious blend. I would have expected a reddish-brown colour and more froth, but smell and taste more than make up for it. Bubbles are a fine fizz like a champagne instead of a typical beer. Not sure what to make of this other than to say it is an identifying characteristic. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is on my favourite list.

4.03/5  rDev +25.2%

Taste exactly like it should. Tart cherries with a honeyed sweetness and flavors of sweet honey wheat bread. Great creamy mouthfeel. Not overly complex but very flavorful and satisfying.

4.23/5  rDev +31.4%

A: straw yellow toorange to amber, slight red hue.thin opaque head.

S:Cherries cherries cherries, vanilla, canied cherry.

T: Cherries upfront, creamy vanilla, like the kind you would get a cherry vanilla ice cream or soda combo. subtle bread. No hops to speak of.

F: creamy, likely oats added for this smooth silky mouthfeel.

O: This is tough for me, this beer was one of the first ones i liked when i began drinking craft so its hard to put down. This is def a gimmicky beer, no question, but it serves a purpose and for that, we thank you.

3.56/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy almost copper color. Smells like real cherries and a hint of honey. The taste brings a lot of cherry flavor. The taste is also tart so it tastes like real cherries were used in the brewing process. One of the better fruit beers I have had so far.

3.82/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This strange brew will kill what's inside of you - like preconceptions. With the massive cherry aroma backed by a powerful malt, it's like a cherry wheat India Pale Ale, originating in the mid-1990s when nobody was making IPAs, much less cherry wheat ones.

I've heard Jim Koch and Samuel Adams criticized for not thinking outside the box. This brew shows Jim Koch doesn't even know there is a box. To enjoy it, I had to similarly erase the box containing my own preconceptions. This is a radical brew that somehow has become popular. Don't drink it unless you like cherries - a lot!

This review is based on a very fresh bottle from Bev Mo. I am trying to avoid brightly lit supermarkets that don't turn over their stock. This bottle was good until 2/16, and it's early September here in Southern CA now, and very hot. A cherry wheat might just hit the spot? It does.

In the mid-1990s, Koch was looking around for something to do with his wheat beers. He's pretty clear on a You Tube video that he didn't like his wheat beers at the time, feeling they were boring. So they took it to 11 with Michigan cherries and a very flavorful malt. There's a whole lot of flavors in there.

The defining character of this ale is the purple haze. Perhaps it's not purple. Okay, it's a deep amber pale ale with hints of orange in the evening light in my house. However, it's pure haze. It's haze like Southern California in the winter when a fog bank rolls in. It's a pea soup haze. I've rarely had a beer with this level of unfiltered malt protein floating around in it. That's the first hurdle to overcome - drinking an exceptionally hazy ale. The head foams up big time and retains so well that it becomes annoying, delaying the rest of the pour. Overfilled, the foam head piles over the top of the beer glass but does not overrun the sides. On the way down, it laces to a remarkable extent. That quality malt is the key to understanding this ale.

The aroma of this ale is overwhelmingly cherry. It's like cutting open a pile of cherries and snuffing in that aroma. You can't overstate how much cherry is in this brew. Using cherries instead of most of the hops to brew is technically using an adjunct, which means under German law this brew is not beer. That's the problem with the German law - restricting creativity. However, Samuel Adams has never used an adjunct to cut flavor. It's contrary to their whole business model. The brewer says they use fresh cherries and honey, and I'm not going to speculate about how they brew this cherry wheat IPA. The experience is cherries and more cherries. Now, I wouldn't say it's exactly fresh cherries. These cherries were brewed in the mash! It's more along the lines of cooked cherries. Don't even think about drinking this beer unless you really love cherries (which I do). Behind the cherries, there's a solid malt aroma of honey and cereal.

The taste is where the real challenges to expectations arise. The initial flavor is overwhelmingly cherry, yet not cherry. This drink is dry. So what you have is a dry beer with an overwhelming initial cherry flavor, backed by a substantial malt flavor. If the look and the smell suggest a sort of cherry cider, those expectations are ripped to pieces at the first sip. This is a beer with a very powerful wheat malt character. It has the sharp wheat feel, which lends an edge to the flavor behind the cherry. As the porch front of cherry subsides, the honey-cereal malt steps to the forefront, and there within it is just a hint of the trademark Samuel Adams caramel or sweetness. Honestly, this beer is a shock to the palate. I'm surprised that many people don't spit it out and pour out the rest of it afterwards. The most shocking thing about it is the popularity of this strange brew, not because it's not good but because the public has risen to the challenge. Once past the shock, it's very good. It's a treat of a cherry wheat IPA - if you like cherries and wheat beer.

For me, the feel of the beer is a weak point. I like more body in my ale than this wheat malt provides. The feel of the ale is intentionally thin. It provides an initial crispness that is perfect for a hot day. Although the flavor unfolds with layers of depth, the feel remains too thin for me to want to drink it every day. It's attractive right now, however, since we are having a major heat wave.

Overall, this is one of the most challenging beers that I have imbibed. This strange brew - a prehistoric cherry wheat IPA of all things - is worth the effort.

3.8/5  rDev +18%

Its for when you want beer but something different that is not just a beer taste. Pours to a cloudy straw/gold color. It is def. filled with cherry flavor and vanilla. Hit you in the nose, mouth and throat. Def. pungent and some may not like. Goes down smooth.

4.09/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a Weizen

L: light Amber with a small white head, small lacing on sides

S: CHERRIES , yum, and vanilla

T: cherry and grass, small hop bite with a slight sour aftertaste

F: small sting from the carbonation but a very smooth finish

O: this is a nice end of the day beer that I could easily keep in the fridge for that "I want a beer" moments

2.84/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light gold hazy color with pale white head. Can definitely smell the cherries! Good carbonation and little to no lacing. Initial taste of cherries, quickly changes to kind of bland slightly dry finish. Missing that flavorful taste of a typical wheat beer.

2.26/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

On the side of the bottle, it reads that the cherries come from Traverse City, MI. Well, due to my research, I've heard that this is the cherry capital of the world. Here's the rest...
This was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was a ruddy red to slight brown color. A foamy to bubbly one finger white head dissipates immediately barely leaving any lacing.
The smell, well, okay, there's the cherries, balanced by a sweet wheatiness.
The taste was fairly sweet through the cherries and wheatiness. But there's a slight medicinal aftertaste, hmmm...that's a bit disappointing.
The mouthfeel seems about a light to medium on the body. Carbonation runs about a medium as there's some harshness, another hmmmm....on my part.
Overall, between the medicinal aftertaste and the harshness on the mouthfeel (I would think that the wheat should detract from the harshness), also, true cherries are going to have a slight tartness to it. I didn't get that either. Ruh roh, Sam Adams, leaves me scratching my head a bit. I don't think I'd come back to this and I don't think those cherries are from Traverse City.

3.65/5  rDev +13.4%

I had this beer at the Carolina Ale House in Columbia, SC. Served from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
The aroma was of wheat and cherry extract, not bad.
Appearance- The beer had a nice golden color.
Taste- This was the drawback for me, the flavor was overpowering on the fake cherry flavoring.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with mild carbonation.
Overall- A good beer, but you have to be in the mood for this cheery beer.

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is my favorite goto beer when there isn't anything else really to choose from other then bud colors etc . Crisp light wheat beer with a perfect cherry note to it. This beer pours golden with a nice head and in my opinion a more natural cherry taste than some of the other fruit beers

2.93/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Look: typical golden, cloudy wheat look with a tinge of red. Foamy white head.

Smell: overwhelming cherry aroma with some grain backbone. Cherry literally jumps into the nose.

Taste: something didn't seem quite right with this one... I can't quite put my finger on it. When I eat cherries, I tend to get a strange acidy aftertaste in my mouth afterwards. Maybe that has something to do with it. But it's just not a strong enough wheat overall.

Mouthfeel: a tad thin and watery but decent.

Overall, not an overwhelmingly strong Sam Adams addition. Just ok.

Link to my YouTube review of this beer:

Heavy smell and taste of cherries upfront but then the beer seems to falls apart: virtually no body with a very dry after taste. It's just an okay beer, nothing more. I expected better, would not buy again.

3.79/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Solid beer, one of my favorite beers to kick back with. If you like the taste of beer an want a nice hint of fruit, then this is a very good pick. If you do not like the taste of beer, then I would suggest something different, but for those that can enjoy a good beer this is a solid choice.

4.32/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The cherry comes through big time in the aroma. In the flavor, it helps to mild the normal potent aftertaste of the wheat and just sort of hangs out in the back. A really nice and mild beer.

3.07/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I put this in a build your own six pack. Very happy I did. Has a very distinct cherry taste but not over done. At first drink or tastes like a Dr. Pepper without the sweetness. I think I found another summer beer.

3.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Poured into snifter. Color was that of lemonade and ocean water (weird but what I saw).

Aroma was a little overwhelming of turnips and chocolate.

Taste was very good. The chocolate was more suddle than expected. No taste of turnips. It had a slight merlot flavour (must be from the cherrys).

Overall it is amazing. 5 out of 5.

1.96/5  rDev -39.1%

Drank from the bottle, so I can't comment on looks.
It smelled strongly like cherry, maybe a hint of a wheat beer smell to it.
Tasted strongly of cherry and beer. I like cherries and I like beer, but the combination does not work for me. I found it hard to choke down.

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%

12 ounce bottle into signature pint glass, best before 6/2015. Pours lightly hazy golden orange color with a 1 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of black cherry, wheat, cracker, biscuit, light honey, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of black cherry and bready malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of black cherry, wheat, cracker, biscuit, light honey, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Minimal earthy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of black cherry, wheat, cracker, biscuit, light honey, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Good balance and robustness of black cherry and bready malt flavors; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and lightly creamy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 5.3%. Overall this is a good fruit wheat beer. All around good balance and robustness of black cherry and bready malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

4.64/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very Cherry like... But very good... taste is pretty bland, slight dry cherry taste. it tastes better than it smells, i was expecting something different once i smelled it. i can definitely see where people have said it's cherry cough syrup + dr pepper.

3.81/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap is significantly better than the bottle for some odd reason. The cherry on tap was rather flavorful compared to the bottle where it was less prevalent.

2.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Not a fan of cherry but I figured I would try it. It's light but the cherry ruins it for me. Drinkable one bottle at a time but I couldn't have more than one.

3.81/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer gets hated on a lot, but honestly it is what it says it is: cherry flavored beer. I mean what were you expecting? Complaints abound it tastes like cough syrup. That’s because, guess what people, a lot of cough syrups are cherry flavored. It probably also tastes like a lot of cherry pies too, go figure.
I may never buy it again (then again who knows maybe I will – stranger things have happened). It’s not nearly as awful as you may’ve been led to believe. While I’ll admit if I had to drink several of these at once it’d drive me batty, it’s something different, change of pace that sorta thing.

1.96/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

I didn't really enjoy it, when I was a youth I drank to get drunk, but recently I've started drinking beer to enjoy my beer, unfortunately, I thought I would enjoy this one. Now I enjoy ales, and I thought this would be good, but unfortunately I thought it was just too much like a dry cough syrup.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)