2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Ratings: 2,926 | Reviews: 1,079 | Show All Ratings:
dictatorial

4.65/5  rDev +48.1%

This beer is amazing. The flavor is very sweet which I don't usually enjoy, but in this case it seems to be done wonderfully. I had it on tap, into a pint glass and it was one of the better beers I have ever had. The appearance is like a light weizen, not red like I expected. The smell is beautiful with a bright cherry scent. The taste is brilliant cherry - as I said sweet, but not overbearing. The mouthfeel is nothing special, not bad, but nothing to write home about - definitely nothing left over but a great taste. Overall, I highly recommend it - even for a flavored beer.

11-28-2012 00:09:22 | More by dictatorial
LiquidAmber

Washington

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a hazy light golden amber with a fine, thin white head and light lacing. Aroma dominated by cherry juice, wheat and a hint of biscuit malt. Flavor is light wheat, bready malt and cherry juice. Cherry is not as dominating as in the aroma. Finishes dry with light hops and sour cherry, slightly astringent. Nice medium body; surprising light creaminess for a low ABV wheat beer. I liked this better than I thought I would, the initial flavor is well balanced and different. Finish is a bit unbalanced and sharp. Interesting.

11-17-2012 23:57:23 | More by LiquidAmber
garymuchow

3.63/5  rDev +15.6%

Another beer that has been around while and I never got to.
Really nice aroma. Reminded me of a cherry tart with a nice toasty wheat character wrapped around the sweet fruit. Quite nice.
Smallish head. I imagined this to have more red to the color, but not so much. Slightly cloudy and amber colors away from reds.
I didn't enjoy the taste as much as the aroma. The fruit and toasted wheat didn't seem to blend as well here, seeming more distinct and separate. I really liked the toasted grain flavor. The cherry was more sweet than tart although not overly so. Mild drying.
Rather full from the carbonation which took away for me.
Nice fall beer though. I can see this with festiveness of T-giving.
Thanks Bry for the bottle.

10-19-2012 12:59:51 | More by garymuchow
cbutova

2.4/5  rDev -23.6%

Part of a mixed Summer pack, cleaning up my leftovers for Fall.

A- The beer received by my pint glass is a hazy light amber. A massive foamy white head forms to about three fingers and settles nicely with good retention. Tons of lace as the head falls and nice webs all down the glass.

S- A blast of cherry to say the least. It isn't overly artificial but you can tell flavoring was used, it says on the bottle too. It would be quite difficult to get such an aroma naturally, something like Slush Puppy Cherry mixed with real fruit. Slight grain and bread hints behind it all.

T- The candy cherry flavor shows up here too but doesn't dominate like in the aroma. It is still strong but other things blend in with it like cereal grain, yeast bread and tiny hint of wheat. The cherry gets pretty medicinal, like cough syrup, after just a few sips.

MF- Creamy overall feel to a light bodied beer. The wheat must be responsible for some of the silky texture. Moderate level of carbonation and some bitterness that doesn't feel that good with the medicinal flavors.

If the cherry flavor wasn't quite as medicinal, this wouldn't be a bad light beer at all. With each sip the fruit flavor just seems to feel more and more fake.

09-18-2012 02:46:27 | More by cbutova
Maxwell

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a surprisingly yellow with only a slight oranging to suggest the cherries. I sits in the glass as a murky gold with some nice bubbles of carbonation. The beer pours with a nice white head but this mellows down into just a scrim, though it does regenerate when agitated. Lacing for this beer is negligible. The beer smells like cherry coke. The cherry is far too sweet and cloying for natural cherries, but reminds me of a maraschino cherry, which is a nice smell. I’m not expecting this to be the most natural beer, but the candied smell is definitely intriguing. The malt body, hops, and yeast are all overpowered by the cherries except for the smallest ghost of a suggestion of biscuitiness. The beer tastes like a bready cherry cola. The aftertaste is well built with buttery biscuit and only a faint cherry sweet that goes slightly vegetal. The initial sip, however, was heavy with sweet cherries, though the very initial taste is surprisingly heavy with the biscuit malts, but the cherries quickly wash them away to suggest cherry cola. Mouthfeel is a little prickly with the carbonation, leaving a slight tingle, but thick and creamy in the initial sip which that mellows into a watery feeling. The mouth is left with the cloying feel of sweet cherries but little of the flavor and a slight dry burn on the back of the tongue which tingles beneath the light trickle of saliva your mouth works up. Overall this is a strange beer. Its smell and flavor are actually quite good, but the mouthfeel really pulls it back in scoring. It is actually quite good for what the company was going for, as this is a refreshing and tasty fruit beer that is easily mass produced. I compare this more to a cherry cola than to a beer, and I really wouldn’t drink a lot of these due to their cloying nature but one on a hot summer day is not a bad thing to sip when you are looking for something a little different.

09-13-2012 19:39:37 | More by Maxwell
clemtiger8202

Missouri

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured hazy gold with a small white head with minimal lacing. Aroma was cherry and bread. Taste was cherry (surpise!) up front and strong with some grain, and an acidic/metallic flavor. The beer finished with a cherry flavor lingering for quite a while. I like cherry, so I thought it was pretty good and would drink again.

09-13-2012 19:24:04 | More by clemtiger8202
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%

355ml bottle poured into pint glass 29/8/12

A golden yellow with lots of bubbles that grow as they rise too a thin film that never really falls and leaves a partial ring of lace

S maraschino cherry flavored cough syrup and a little honey

T reminds me of Cherry Neo Citron poured over cereal, not as bad as it sounds but still far from good

M thin and airy, fake cherry flavor lingers for quite some time

O reminds me more of medicine then beer, drinkable but I wasen´t craving another

I normally like Sam Adams but this one was nothing too write home about, even in the sweltering heat one was enough

08-31-2012 01:53:23 | More by wordemupg
razordm

3.48/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am going to ignore the mostly poor ratings by others, although I admit to be a beer taste rookie. I really like this beer, but I am a fan of cherry flavor (Cherry Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc.) as well as wheat beer in general. I found the amount of cherry just right though the mouthfeel was a bit heavy. I'd definitely buy it again.

08-26-2012 22:50:52 | More by razordm
UCLABrewN84

2.35/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a clear light reddish-orange with a foamy tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. No lacing on this one. Smell is of wheat, grain, and some artificial cherry aromas. Taste is much the same with an almost sickening medicinal cherry flavor that lingers long after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer that is pretty gross and undrinkable.

08-25-2012 05:52:50 | More by UCLABrewN84
jjamadorphd

3.6/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Surprising cherry smell, it was completely unexpected. By far the best Sam Adams I've had. I like the slightly reddish tinge to the dark colored beer and it poured a good head. Overall, I was pleased and would definitely spend some change to have this beer in my fridge again.

08-18-2012 16:27:09 | More by jjamadorphd
TheDinger

South Carolina

3.63/5  rDev +15.6%

Had this on tap at Atlanta airport. Nice presentation with an interesting amber clouded clour. Adequate 1+ finger white head that stuck around a bit. Smell was a bit of some dulled cherries and some yeast. Nothing remarkable. Taste was pretty decent. I will preface this by saying I grew up on Michigan cherries and enjoy that tart over the top taste. That being said, I didn't get the medicine taste as others have pointed out. A definite fruit beer that IMO is a good combination and quite drinkable. Feel was a good bit of carbonation and medium body. Overall- I think it a pretty good effort from SA. I like the tartness and blend of the hops that evident. Probably need to really enjoy cherries for this one to go down smoothly. An interesting blend that I would drink again-

08-16-2012 00:25:13 | More by TheDinger
ZachStone625

2.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Yuck, just YUCK. I'm normally a fan of Sam Adams, with their pub at the shipyard here in Bremerton, but this is like taking a perfectly good wheat beer, and mixing some cherry Robitussin in... why??? Why would you do that?

Please understand, though, that I'm a malty beer guy. You fruit beer types might like this, and with that I will say that the cherry flavor does in fact somewhat dance in a balanced fashion with normal beer flavors of wheat and hoppy bitterness. However, for me, the cherry was too much. It's like playing beer pong while you're on a dare from a friend to do a Cherry WarHead (remember those?). You can taste the beer, but you're too distracted by the clenching, undeniable kick in the face of CHERRIES. I finished the beer, but I'm not likely to buy it again. After two bottles to confirm my personal verdict I gave the rest of the sixpack to a friend, so they could deal with it.

So, all in all, not bad, and if fruit beer is your thing, go for it. If you're a strictly beer or malty, bready type like me who prefers that a hop or fruit overload stay out of his mug or growler (or even a single/double/triple IPA guy who would eat a handful of hop flowers on his own free will), reach for another beer at the 7-11. This one is too much fruit, not enough beer.

08-12-2012 05:08:38 | More by ZachStone625
MDDMD

3.03/5  rDev -3.5%

A-slightly hazy golden yellow color with a decent white head and some lacing

S-wheat malt and dark cherry

T- wheat malt and cherry cough syrup, little bitterness or hop presence, lingering cherry

F-light to medium body with moderate carbonation

O-just can't get by the cough syrup taste

08-05-2012 16:49:45 | More by MDDMD
Alextricity

3.35/5  rDev +6.7%

Purchased along with 5 other S.A. beers in the Summer Variety Pack. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: It looks terrible unless you do an aggressive pour... if you do that, you get a nice head, and cherry aroma really comes at you.

Smell: I highly disagree with what other have said about the smell -- I think this smells insanely good. COMPLETELY unlike a beer, but fantastic. A full blast of cherry.

Taste: Not quite like the smell -- on the first sip I immediately thought of Cheerios with cherries. After that, the heavy taste of cherries and wheat subdued, and it tasted like a mild cherry pop, which I don't think is a bad thing at all. I could see why many beer drinkers would be turned off, but I had an open mind coming in.

Mouthfeel: As I said, it's quite a bit like drinking a cherry pop. It's still got a bit of that wheaty, beery taste, but sometimes it's easy to forget what you're drinking is supposed to be BEER.

Overall, I liked this better at a local bar that mixed it with Guinness on tap (Called a "Black Cherry")... regardless, this is still a decent beer. Like S.A's Blackberry Witbier -- and I'd figure most fruity beers I would ever drink -- I wouldn't be able to have more than one in a session. This drinks almost like an after dinner, dessert-type beer.

A very interesting beer. I recommend you try this out. As much as people seem to dislike this beer (A 70 rating on this site for a Sam Adams' beer is really quite low), I have a feeling this is one of their top sellers. I don't KNOW that, I'm just taking a guess... I feel it's super popular among women. I could be wrong though.

08-04-2012 01:53:27 | More by Alextricity
TheRealBigC

Nevada

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Cherry wheat should have been tasty, instead it tastes a little bit like medicine beer. Medicine like the liquid stuff my mom used to feed me when I was a kid. Once you get passed that odd taste, the rest of it isn't so bad. Maybe I just have some sort of bad association with that particular flavor.

08-02-2012 17:10:54 | More by TheRealBigC
SometimesIfart

2.35/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass. Pours a murky gold with a one finger head, Leaving no lacing. The smell is of faint cherries and Robitussin. Nothing else. The taste is of cherries, And somewhat of light toasted barley and malt. Absolutely nothing else. The mouthfeel allows the complete medicinal flavor to come through, Seriously tasted like Robitussin Nighttime if you let it sit for long enough. Oh well, I didn't pay for it so whatever. A terrible offering by Sam Adams, Even worse than the Summer Ale.

07-29-2012 00:21:12 | More by SometimesIfart
ShameAndFailure

1.68/5  rDev -46.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I never thought I would drain pour a Sam Adams but here I am. Absolute disaster. The smell was medicinal cherry and the taste was more of the same. I could barely stop from throwing up. Bottle dating was fresh by sept 2012 so still fresh.

Just wow. I picked up a mixed pack and this was the worst of the bunch.

07-27-2012 02:25:01 | More by ShameAndFailure
kds10011

3.53/5  rDev +12.4%

This came in a summer variety pack, coupled with Boston Lager, East-West Koelsch, Nobel Pils, Summer Ale, and Belgian Session.

I felt a bit skeptical of this, weary that it might be overdone, as are many beers with fruit. Served in a New Belgium globe, with sediment intentionally and properly delivered.

A: Bright body, shining head of fine bubbles that doesn't stay around too long. It did, however, cling to the glass.
S: MARASCHINO. (caps for emphasis.) No trace of hops or malt. Pleasant.
Body: A breed of smoothness that reminds me of Chimay Tripel, owing to the fine bubbles. Graspable.
T: Sweet. First words out of my mouth: Cherry Coke. But not in a bad way, honestly. It doesn't have the biting acidity of an over-carbonated soda. Later, a vague trace of hops. Aftertaste has a remnant of light malt. As it warms, you get a fresh marshmallow impression, if such a thing could exist.

This is incredibly pleasant, despite the fact that it makes little celebration of hops and malt. I think this is meant as a tool to get people interested in different beers. For that, I like it. It's a bit one-dimensional, but tasty indeed. It might be fun to cook with this. Hey! It's in a SUMMER pack, after all! Lighten up.

07-27-2012 01:42:25 | More by kds10011
stephen1162

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I just finished off two of these obtained in my Summer Seasonal 12 pack from Sam Adams.

Color is copper, nothing unusual. Head is minimal and dissipates quickly.

Taste is much more cherry than malt, but it's a pleasant cherry flavor. I enjoyed this beer.

I might not buy it by the 6 pack, but I won't be disappointed to drink this beer in the variety pack. Sam Adams could improve the beer by cutting back on cherry flavor a little in favor of malt, and getting a little more carbonation.

Stephen

07-25-2012 21:20:16 | More by stephen1162
jmarklan

2.63/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a nice golden color... two fingers of head dissipate pretty quickly.

S: Smells of slightly fermented cherries... slightly reminiscent of cherry medicine.

T: The cherry flavor explodes in first and is improved upon by the wheat and a slight malty sweetness.

M: Light body, crisp, dry in the finish.

Overall: I'm not a fan of this one... probably my least favorite from sam adams. Would have been solid if the cherry was more subtle.

07-22-2012 05:57:54 | More by jmarklan
atr2605

3.28/5  rDev +4.5%

A-pours an orange/really soft amber coloe with a fluffy off white head with pretty good retention
S-cherry cough syrup and wheat
T-More of the same. Cherry and wheat malt mixed up front met with some hop bitterness and leaves cherry flavor on the palate. It's honestly not badly balanced but the artificial cherry flavor is a bit much
M-medium-light bodied
O-Not my favorite but I could drink it

07-06-2012 01:47:17 | More by atr2605
pistola

4.38/5  rDev +39.5%

Great Fruit Beer. I keep buying this without the intent of getting it because I like to try many different brews. But for some reason, I really enjoy this beer. To me, its got a great summer cherry, nutty flavor that goes down easy and smooth. Great brew while cutting the grass or working in the garage etc... I like it.

07-01-2012 19:22:16 | More by pistola
JustinAniello

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev +25.2%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy yellow-orange with a one and a half finger head. Dissipates quickly to a light cap and sticky lacing.

S - Heavy sweet cherries, background of wheat, very nice.

T - Sweet at first, very small cherry flavor, then a huge burst of the cherries on the swallow. Mild yeast and hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

M - Medium body, heavy carbonation. Needs less bubbles.

O - I feel this is a really good cherry beer, a little heavy handed in the aroma but a great flavor profile. Like many of their beers, a bit too much carbonation. Nice to have if you are in the mood for a fruity beer.

06-27-2012 23:58:02 | More by JustinAniello
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.73/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

these are unkind reviews. this is actually a pretty damn good fruit beer. it pours rather plain looking very clear golden color with a small white head. smells like fresh black cherries, floral and juicy, with plenty of wheat malts and a fairly mild yeast strain. flavor is major cherry all the way through. not dissimilar to the cherry vanilla yogurts ive seen around in the groceries. its got that sort of sweet fresh fruit element that i really like, it bitters for a second and then rounds out at the end. id like so see a more funky yeast get into the mix, saison style or something, i think that would give this beer a real kick in the crotch, but its tasty as it is in my opinion. feel is light and gassy, good in summer and also with a certain holiday appeal.

06-27-2012 10:40:32 | More by StonedTrippin
BryanCarey

3.28/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A fruity brew, indeed, Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat pours to a golden color with an aroma that is decidedly cherry- like in nature, similar to a cherry soda. The foam level is okay at first, but doesn’t last very long.

Tasting this beer reveals its cherry nature even further. It is cherry all the way, but the good thing is that the beer doesn’t take the flavor to extreme levels of sweetness. There is a certain degree of tartness and the wheat base is evident, with some bread/dough notes and an overall flavor that reminds me of a bowl of wheat flakes with added fruit. It manages to pull off a certain dryness in the finish and the aftertaste of cherries remains with you for a while after the last sip.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat is a refreshing brew and it makes a good choice for a hot summer day. I know that some will be turned off by the fruitiness and while I generally do not go for fruit beers myself, I find the medium body and tartness sufficient to enjoy this beer and recommend it for your next encounter with hot weather.

06-26-2012 20:40:55 | More by BryanCarey
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)