Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,138 | Hads: 3,688
1.87/5  rDev -41.9%

I thought I'd like this beer, I guess I was wrong. The color is cloudy, the head disappears quickly, the cherry flavor is overpowering. I really had to choke this down. This is not the type of beer for me.
Maybe if I was on a desert island and had nothing else to drink, if that was the case; I'd want a pistol and one bullet.

3.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Bought a sixer of this because my buddy's mom kept raving about how great it was. Poured a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A- Pretty haha. Amber/Reddish-Brown, Great Looking Cream Colored Head

S- Smells like cherries and beer to say the least.

T- I wasn't too impressed by this beer. I drank 2 out of the 6 and stopped because the taste started to overwhelm me. Tasted like someone dropped a Marciano cherry into a wheat beer and shook it

M- Thick, kind of syrupy, not too too bad, didn't want to swish this around much because it kept making my mouth dry

D- Fail. Like I said, I could only down 2 of these, and I was pushing it on the second one. I like complexities, but I enjoy trying to find them in the beer, this beer was to predictable

Overall- Decent beer, not a bad idea to give it a shot. I would probably drink it again, especially if it was on tap somewhere, I bet it would be better that way.

4.22/5  rDev +31.1%

From bottle to glass

A: Cloudy dark orange with small off white head with a little lacing.

S: Strong cherries. Sweet in smell and enveloping...

T: Sweet cherries and wheat. Bright, fruity, with a sweet background. The wheat taste is there blended well with the cherries.

M: Clean and refreshing finish. Nice carbonation.

D: Crisp and clean.A great combination of wheat and cherries.

3.07/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I put this in a build your own six pack. Very happy I did. Has a very distinct cherry taste but not over done. At first drink or tastes like a Dr. Pepper without the sweetness. I think I found another summer beer.

3.9/5  rDev +21.1%

I really don't get the reviews that say the cherry smell and/or taste is overpowering. I love it. But then, I love fruit beers, and this is not only one of my favorite fruit beers, it's one of the few beers I'd actually call a session beer for myself. This is a sweetish, light, refreshing brew that goes well with nearly any type of food, or is great all by itself. If you don't like fruity beers, or if you're a hophead, pass on this one.

(Edited, Jan. '07. I've lowered the rating somewhat, as I've broadened my horizons. Still a beer I like a lot, but not as high on my list as it once was.)

4.77/5  rDev +48.1%

This beer is in a nice bottle and don't let that "Don't judge a good book by its cover" idea fool you this beer lives up to its potential. This beer gets a decent head and pours a nice deep amber but not too dark. The smell of this makes one look forward to drinking it and when it hits the toungue it has a fantastic typical lager flavor but after swallowing, the cherry aftertaste makes this a spectacular beer. SA Cherry Wheat is a simple classic beer. Nothing special enough to spend hundreds on but certainly one that I recommend. This Beer, like most Samuel Adams, are good with Beef, a Steak, a Burger, etc...Try it, you won't be disappointed

3.2/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Hazy reddish gold appealing color.

S: Crisp fruity cherry aroma.

T: Distinct cherry flavor.Very nice, plesant. Maybe a tad, but just a tad too sweet. Nice carbonation. Very refreshing.

F: Medium body, creamy, finishes very clean.

D: For me this is a very drinkable beer. Hard to believe this is a wheat beer. I'm suprised I even picked it up. Didn't know what to expect but I found this to be a breath of fresh air. Very nice.

2.55/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a golden color with a faint haze. Maintains a creamy white head with decent lacing. The nose is dominated by a pleasing cherry aroma. A faint cherry bitterness is balanced out by a malt sweetness. While the nose is relatively fresh, the taste is of cherry cough drops. The initial sweetness on the tongue is quickly banished by dry, bland wheat. The wheat and cherry cough drop flavors are unable to blend together and both stick around long into the finish. The mouthfeel is creamy with a bit of water in the background. The mouthfeel and lack of any cloying sweetness allow me to finish the beer, but I certainly won't be having it again.

3.67/5  rDev +14%

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
Bottle into glass:

This beer pours a honey clear brown with many bubbles. The thick white foam head lasts a long time, never fully disappearing, leaving think lacing behind. The small is too sweet; it smells like cherry syrup, with only a subtle hint of beer at all. The taste on the other hand is great: not too sweet and with only a hint of cherries. The mouth feel is full but not creamy, very refreshing and easy to drink. The bubbles are not really present in the mouth feel that much.

2.58/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearence: Light straw color. The head dissipates much quicker than most other Sam Adam's beers do.

Smell: Huge cherry smell. Overwhelming really. Difficult to detect anything else.

Taste: The cherry taste is present but it's not as overwhelming as the smell makes it seem. Very bitter taste.

Feel: It gives a very syrupy feel to it.

Drinkability: The brew's aroma is too artificial to really be able to enjoy drinking it that much.

2.49/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance is golden, some material suspended in the beer.

Pours with a samll white head.

Smells of cherries and not much else. Also not a huge fan of cherries which doesnt help in my rating.

Not a hug cherry taste that you'd expect from such a strong smell.

Mouthfeel was slightly thick with small amount of grit.

Drinkability was ok but not being a huge cherry or wheat fan i wont seek it out.

3.67/5  rDev +14%

Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat isn't an overly complex and flavored beer, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in this case. You get the initial wheat beer flavor which is good and then in the background the whole time is the cherry. For me the amount of cherry is just right and does not add any sweetness to the beer.

When opening the bottle you really get a strong cherry scent which was somewhat misleading because the cherry flavor is not very strong. Color-wise, it a standard wheat beer color with a slightly redish hue. I really like this beer for the fall/winter.

1.32/5  rDev -59%

Tastes and smells like horrible cough syrup. Drain poor. Worst beer I've had in quite some time. Not worth the money to try. Harsh fake cherry flavors, and nose.
I have liked most of Sammy's offerings this year but this is a total fail. Jim Koch, must not have tasted this one as it came out of the brewery, because it's completely undrinkable.

3.81/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap is significantly better than the bottle for some odd reason. The cherry on tap was rather flavorful compared to the bottle where it was less prevalent.

I had this beer a few months ago. Thank goodness I didn't buy it. A friend brought a six pack over to the house. Thought it was a good idea due to the fact I'm from Boston originally. Back to the beer taste horrible don't know what Sam Adams was thinking. Just not my swag at all. I am not into any fruity beer period. I like the fact the company tried an experiment, but epic fail in my opinion.

3.74/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured a hazy light bronze color. The aroma was as expected - (a little "kreiky"). All the natural elements to this beer are fine (water, wheat, hops)...it is the cough syrup finish that kills all the promise. This one isn't necessarily "always a good decision".

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a reddish-amber color with a light tan head. Not as cloudy as other wheat beers. The head quickly faded to leave decent lacing. It smells of sweet cherries and not much else. Tastes the same way as it smells; hops are barely noticeable. The mouthfeel is thick and sticky; almost like cherry syrup. Also leaves the lips very sticky. I enjoy this beer after dinner occasionally as a dessert, but more than two would make me feel sick. It would have been nice for S.A. to add more complexity to this underachieving brew.

2.97/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Clear and gold. The thin white head on the pour disappears quickly.
S: So much cherry that I didn't smell any of the malt. The cherry smell gives indication that the cherry taste will be artificial.
T: The cherry flavor is strong and artificial.
M: Surprisingly medium bodied and thick, almost syrupy.
D: One is enough for me.

3.89/5  rDev +20.8%

This beer was surprisingly great. It smells of subtle fresh cherries (no candy flavors just fresh cherry) and the smell of beer.

Taste was exquisite. A very exciting beer to try. The taste is of beer and a slightly more than subtle hint of fresh cherries. I really do not like cherry that much personally in general but this taste of cherry in this beer is amazing. I am ever so pleasantly surprised at how wonderfully refreshing this beer is.

Drinkability is really good. Could drink it all day all night and with the mildly high abv this is great for getting intoxicated. absolutely love it. friends and family were surprised and amazed as well (we arent even sam adams fans).

sam adams for the win!

3.04/5  rDev -5.6%

from a 12 ounce bottle into a glass. average head, with more lacing than i'd expect. smell of cherries immediately tackles the nose. reminds me of cherry yogurt, some wheat, not much though. this one started off good, then got worse with every sip. the fruit seems processed, syrupy. tart pucker i did not prefer. did not improve with warming up, thought of marciano cherries or a flat slurpee at the end.

one is fine but any more would be overkill.

1.12/5  rDev -65.2%

I'm a fan of the Samuel Adams Boston Lager. I purchased the Harvest Sampler Pack and had the displeasure of tasting the Cherry Wheat Ale.

Serving: Bottle..pint glass

Appearance: Light Amber to Gold, cloudy unfiltered look. Pours a 1 finger head of foam and quickly dissipates with no lacing what-so-ever.

Smell: Terrible, cherry additive is overwhelming.

Taste: Cherry taste is overwhelming and almost like a wine cooler..wtf

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and over carbonated, watery

Drinkability: I could down a few if I had a set of boobs, but that is not the case.

2.68/5  rDev -16.8%

Yuck, just YUCK. I'm normally a fan of Sam Adams, with their pub at the shipyard here in Bremerton, but this is like taking a perfectly good wheat beer, and mixing some cherry Robitussin in... why??? Why would you do that?

Please understand, though, that I'm a malty beer guy. You fruit beer types might like this, and with that I will say that the cherry flavor does in fact somewhat dance in a balanced fashion with normal beer flavors of wheat and hoppy bitterness. However, for me, the cherry was too much. It's like playing beer pong while you're on a dare from a friend to do a Cherry WarHead (remember those?). You can taste the beer, but you're too distracted by the clenching, undeniable kick in the face of CHERRIES. I finished the beer, but I'm not likely to buy it again. After two bottles to confirm my personal verdict I gave the rest of the sixpack to a friend, so they could deal with it.

So, all in all, not bad, and if fruit beer is your thing, go for it. If you're a strictly beer or malty, bready type like me who prefers that a hop or fruit overload stay out of his mug or growler (or even a single/double/triple IPA guy who would eat a handful of hop flowers on his own free will), reach for another beer at the 7-11. This one is too much fruit, not enough beer.

2.66/5  rDev -17.4%

App. - Pours nice orange/amber with tight head that lingers for quite a while and leaves a nice lace through finish.

Smell - Cherries, Cherries, Cherries.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Cherries, Cherries, Cherries. First couple of tastes show slight wheat characteristics, but overall, very sweet cherry/candy like taste. Even the mouthfeel seems sugary/sticky and the fruity tast lingers.

Overall - I've had this several times over the years and each time I come back thinking that I'll like it, but one glass of this and I'm set. A nice break once in a while, but just too sweet for my liking and definitely not a session brew.

3.33/5  rDev +3.4%

I like wheat beers, and I like fruit, so I thought this might be good. While I enjoyed it, I don't think I will try it again.

The appearance is fine, nothing spectacular, just what you would expect.

You can smell the cherry aroma fairly easily, not unpleasant.

The taste is what threw me. The cherry doesn't seem to fit too well with the yeasty taste. It seems a bit overdone, maybe if they had backed off on it a bit.

Clean feeling on the mouth.

While it was not hard to finish the bottle, I did find it hard to go back for another. I think the cherry was just too much. I do like the Sam Adams Summer Ale which is a regular wheat beer (I also like many of the other Sam Adams brews as well).

2.64/5  rDev -18%

This was very disappointing for a samuel adams beer, and maybe my expectations were too high. I do feel I'm echoing other people's thoughts though, it's not a good beer. It have a terrible robitussin taste at first, though it improves as I drink it. It is a thin beer and whatever hops or wheat that was used in the brewing process is absolutely shadowed by intense cherry flavor.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)