Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,130 | Hads: 3,651
3.2/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Hazy reddish gold appealing color.

S: Crisp fruity cherry aroma.

T: Distinct cherry flavor.Very nice, plesant. Maybe a tad, but just a tad too sweet. Nice carbonation. Very refreshing.

F: Medium body, creamy, finishes very clean.

D: For me this is a very drinkable beer. Hard to believe this is a wheat beer. I'm suprised I even picked it up. Didn't know what to expect but I found this to be a breath of fresh air. Very nice. (443 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a golden color with a faint haze. Maintains a creamy white head with decent lacing. The nose is dominated by a pleasing cherry aroma. A faint cherry bitterness is balanced out by a malt sweetness. While the nose is relatively fresh, the taste is of cherry cough drops. The initial sweetness on the tongue is quickly banished by dry, bland wheat. The wheat and cherry cough drop flavors are unable to blend together and both stick around long into the finish. The mouthfeel is creamy with a bit of water in the background. The mouthfeel and lack of any cloying sweetness allow me to finish the beer, but I certainly won't be having it again. (646 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
Bottle into glass:

This beer pours a honey clear brown with many bubbles. The thick white foam head lasts a long time, never fully disappearing, leaving think lacing behind. The small is too sweet; it smells like cherry syrup, with only a subtle hint of beer at all. The taste on the other hand is great: not too sweet and with only a hint of cherries. The mouth feel is full but not creamy, very refreshing and easy to drink. The bubbles are not really present in the mouth feel that much. (517 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

Appearence: Light straw color. The head dissipates much quicker than most other Sam Adam's beers do.

Smell: Huge cherry smell. Overwhelming really. Difficult to detect anything else.

Taste: The cherry taste is present but it's not as overwhelming as the smell makes it seem. Very bitter taste.

Feel: It gives a very syrupy feel to it.

Drinkability: The brew's aroma is too artificial to really be able to enjoy drinking it that much. (440 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance is golden, some material suspended in the beer.

Pours with a samll white head.

Smells of cherries and not much else. Also not a huge fan of cherries which doesnt help in my rating.

Not a hug cherry taste that you'd expect from such a strong smell.

Mouthfeel was slightly thick with small amount of grit.

Drinkability was ok but not being a huge cherry or wheat fan i wont seek it out. (403 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat isn't an overly complex and flavored beer, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in this case. You get the initial wheat beer flavor which is good and then in the background the whole time is the cherry. For me the amount of cherry is just right and does not add any sweetness to the beer.

When opening the bottle you really get a strong cherry scent which was somewhat misleading because the cherry flavor is not very strong. Color-wise, it a standard wheat beer color with a slightly redish hue. I really like this beer for the fall/winter. (569 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -59.3%

Tastes and smells like horrible cough syrup. Drain poor. Worst beer I've had in quite some time. Not worth the money to try. Harsh fake cherry flavors, and nose.
I have liked most of Sammy's offerings this year but this is a total fail. Jim Koch, must not have tasted this one as it came out of the brewery, because it's completely undrinkable. (345 characters)

I had this beer a few months ago. Thank goodness I didn't buy it. A friend brought a six pack over to the house. Thought it was a good idea due to the fact I'm from Boston originally. Back to the beer taste horrible don't know what Sam Adams was thinking. Just not my swag at all. I am not into any fruity beer period. I like the fact the company tried an experiment, but epic fail in my opinion. (397 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured a hazy light bronze color. The aroma was as expected - (a little "kreiky"). All the natural elements to this beer are fine (water, wheat, hops)...it is the cough syrup finish that kills all the promise. This one isn't necessarily "always a good decision". (262 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a reddish-amber color with a light tan head. Not as cloudy as other wheat beers. The head quickly faded to leave decent lacing. It smells of sweet cherries and not much else. Tastes the same way as it smells; hops are barely noticeable. The mouthfeel is thick and sticky; almost like cherry syrup. Also leaves the lips very sticky. I enjoy this beer after dinner occasionally as a dessert, but more than two would make me feel sick. It would have been nice for S.A. to add more complexity to this underachieving brew. (524 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Clear and gold. The thin white head on the pour disappears quickly.
S: So much cherry that I didn't smell any of the malt. The cherry smell gives indication that the cherry taste will be artificial.
T: The cherry flavor is strong and artificial.
M: Surprisingly medium bodied and thick, almost syrupy.
D: One is enough for me. (331 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +20.1%

This beer was surprisingly great. It smells of subtle fresh cherries (no candy flavors just fresh cherry) and the smell of beer.

Taste was exquisite. A very exciting beer to try. The taste is of beer and a slightly more than subtle hint of fresh cherries. I really do not like cherry that much personally in general but this taste of cherry in this beer is amazing. I am ever so pleasantly surprised at how wonderfully refreshing this beer is.

Drinkability is really good. Could drink it all day all night and with the mildly high abv this is great for getting intoxicated. absolutely love it. friends and family were surprised and amazed as well (we arent even sam adams fans).

sam adams for the win! (711 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -6.2%

from a 12 ounce bottle into a glass. average head, with more lacing than i'd expect. smell of cherries immediately tackles the nose. reminds me of cherry yogurt, some wheat, not much though. this one started off good, then got worse with every sip. the fruit seems processed, syrupy. tart pucker i did not prefer. did not improve with warming up, thought of marciano cherries or a flat slurpee at the end.

one is fine but any more would be overkill. (451 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -65.4%

I'm a fan of the Samuel Adams Boston Lager. I purchased the Harvest Sampler Pack and had the displeasure of tasting the Cherry Wheat Ale.

Serving: Bottle..pint glass

Appearance: Light Amber to Gold, cloudy unfiltered look. Pours a 1 finger head of foam and quickly dissipates with no lacing what-so-ever.

Smell: Terrible, cherry additive is overwhelming.

Taste: Cherry taste is overwhelming and almost like a wine cooler..wtf

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and over carbonated, watery

Drinkability: I could down a few if I had a set of boobs, but that is not the case. (560 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

Yuck, just YUCK. I'm normally a fan of Sam Adams, with their pub at the shipyard here in Bremerton, but this is like taking a perfectly good wheat beer, and mixing some cherry Robitussin in... why??? Why would you do that?

Please understand, though, that I'm a malty beer guy. You fruit beer types might like this, and with that I will say that the cherry flavor does in fact somewhat dance in a balanced fashion with normal beer flavors of wheat and hoppy bitterness. However, for me, the cherry was too much. It's like playing beer pong while you're on a dare from a friend to do a Cherry WarHead (remember those?). You can taste the beer, but you're too distracted by the clenching, undeniable kick in the face of CHERRIES. I finished the beer, but I'm not likely to buy it again. After two bottles to confirm my personal verdict I gave the rest of the sixpack to a friend, so they could deal with it.

So, all in all, not bad, and if fruit beer is your thing, go for it. If you're a strictly beer or malty, bready type like me who prefers that a hop or fruit overload stay out of his mug or growler (or even a single/double/triple IPA guy who would eat a handful of hop flowers on his own free will), reach for another beer at the 7-11. This one is too much fruit, not enough beer. (1,286 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap is significantly better than the bottle for some odd reason. The cherry on tap was rather flavorful compared to the bottle where it was less prevalent. (158 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -17.9%

App. - Pours nice orange/amber with tight head that lingers for quite a while and leaves a nice lace through finish.

Smell - Cherries, Cherries, Cherries.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Cherries, Cherries, Cherries. First couple of tastes show slight wheat characteristics, but overall, very sweet cherry/candy like taste. Even the mouthfeel seems sugary/sticky and the fruity tast lingers.

Overall - I've had this several times over the years and each time I come back thinking that I'll like it, but one glass of this and I'm set. A nice break once in a while, but just too sweet for my liking and definitely not a session brew. (626 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

I like wheat beers, and I like fruit, so I thought this might be good. While I enjoyed it, I don't think I will try it again.

The appearance is fine, nothing spectacular, just what you would expect.

You can smell the cherry aroma fairly easily, not unpleasant.

The taste is what threw me. The cherry doesn't seem to fit too well with the yeasty taste. It seems a bit overdone, maybe if they had backed off on it a bit.

Clean feeling on the mouth.

While it was not hard to finish the bottle, I did find it hard to go back for another. I think the cherry was just too much. I do like the Sam Adams Summer Ale which is a regular wheat beer (I also like many of the other Sam Adams brews as well). (698 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -18.5%

This was very disappointing for a samuel adams beer, and maybe my expectations were too high. I do feel I'm echoing other people's thoughts though, it's not a good beer. It have a terrible robitussin taste at first, though it improves as I drink it. It is a thin beer and whatever hops or wheat that was used in the brewing process is absolutely shadowed by intense cherry flavor. (380 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +34.3%

Great Fruit Beer. I keep buying this without the intent of getting it because I like to try many different brews. But for some reason, I really enjoy this beer. To me, its got a great summer cherry, nutty flavor that goes down easy and smooth. Great brew while cutting the grass or working in the garage etc... I like it. (321 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am going to ignore the mostly poor ratings by others, although I admit to be a beer taste rookie. I really like this beer, but I am a fan of cherry flavor (Cherry Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc.) as well as wheat beer in general. I found the amount of cherry just right though the mouthfeel was a bit heavy. I'd definitely buy it again. (329 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a six pack on a day when the weather was nice. I thought it'd be a nice spring flavor.... Damn, was I mistaken.

A - Light golden color. Clear, and pleasant looking. Medium size head.

S - Tart cherry up front with a wheat back. Smells fresh and fruity.

T - Immediate tart cherry flavor which is pleasant, but quickly turns into a muddle wheat flavor. The wheat isn't crisp and clean, but an unpleasant, almost musty flavor which brings down the taste of the cherry. Awful finish and aftertaste.

M - Thin and somewhat carbonated. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this just doesn't feel right.

O - The appearance and smell are extremely deceptive. The taste just does not stand up to expectations. I had a hard time making it through one bottle, and couldn't even think about a whole six pack. I've had some wonderful tart cherry beers, but this one just doesn't work. They should have made it a Berliner weisse. It may have been a little more tart then, but at least it would have a clean, refreshing flavor. I usually rate Sam Adams in the upper end of mediocre, sometimes above, but this is a definite flop. (1,145 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A vigorous pour into an oversized mug produced a head taller than the beer. Beer was light golden amber in color.

Smelled of artificial cherry flavor, like cough syrup. Deep underneath, when I concentrated hard, I could smell the wheat, malt, and slightly floral hops. Tough to get through that cough syrup aroma, though.

The taste was of real cherries, in contrast to the smell. Also a good thick, sweet malt flavor and a grainy wheat taste. The cherries come back at the end, along with the bitter hops.

The beer had a good full-bodied mouthfeel.

I am not a fan of cherries, but I had heard good things about his beer, so I gave it a try. First off, the artificial cherry smell has got to go, whether you like cherries or not. If the cherries aren't enough to make it into the aroma, the beer shouldn't have to smell like Kool-Aid. This beer was very drinkable, but I think it is definitely one for non-beer drinkers. This beer would have been much better without the cherries. (991 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured into a pint glass from a Nov "08" bottle.

Yellow color with a slight redish tint to it. Head was very small, did not retain much of it. Smell is awesome cherrys and sweetness. Taste is very malty, low carbonation, cherry is in there but I dont feel its too overpowering, slight bitter aftertaste. I could see this going very well with a cherry dessert or during a nice winter party. Yet to have a fresh Sam Adams I did not enjoy. Good job SA. (451 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -55.2%

This beer is a disaster.

A: It looks decent. Like a Boston Lager with a dense, frothy white head. It looks drinkable.

S: What. The. Fructose. It smells literally like a cherry soda.

T: It tastes, unfortunately, like cough syrup, cloyingly sweet and sickeningly artificial. I'm given to understand that real cherries are involved in the process somehow, but I can't visualize this in context with the finished product. At the very, very end of the finish there's a burst of wheaty, warm, inviting malt that I wish was the whole beer. Alas but it is not. This is beer that prisoners would drink if they were out of pruno and were bored of sodomy.

M: Syrupy. Only enhances the cloying character of the taste, though in this case "enhances" only means "makes worse."

Overall, this is a beer that I would not give to people unless I wanted never to see them again. Got two of the damned things with my SA Summer Sampler. The Kolsch and Belgian Session had better be spectacular to make me buy another 12, because the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is punishment from God. (1,063 characters)

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)