Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
Read the review

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,144 | Ratings: 3,765
4.54/5  rDev +41%

So I used to think this was just OK until I took a tour at Sam Adams, my sister had given me a goodie from her law school and apparently most of the tour guides were law students they let us stay after the tour and when they "washed" out my sample glass they poured me the cherry wheat on draft and it blew my mind. It's upsetting that the stuff outside of boston comes from a diffrent brewery.

3.43/5  rDev +6.5%

A nice bronze color. 1-finger head with very nice lacing the color of cream/bone. There is a very sweet cherry aroma that hits you right of the bat but its hard to detect anything else, there is a hint on banana. It has a very creamy mouth feel, with just enough carbonation. The Cherry, malt and hops flavors are fairly well in tune, however the cherry flavor seems somewhat over powering but it does finishing cleanly.

This beer is great with rhubarb pie or raspberry chocolate cheesecake...

3.14/5  rDev -2.5%

I had a six pack of this wheat beer. It does have a rather sweet aroma, though, it smells like cherry candy, very artificial. This beer is slightly cloudy, much like you would find in average wheat ales. The flavor is a change from the norm, and in hot weather can prove to be quite refreshing, just be sure to keep you other favorites nearby as this one has a bitter cherry aftertaste like you would find in cough drops. The palate leaves much to be desired, just serve this one cold to avoid complications. Overall, this beer is an "OK" beer that is best served cold and consumed rather quickly. Just remember this is a wheat beer and can be quite filling as well.

4.87/5  rDev +51.2%

Cherry aroma hits your nose immediately, after pouring into a pint glass...nice frothy head...first taste: sweetness of cherry hits the palate first, then a nice crisp finish. I like this beer. Can't drink it all the time, but only because my taste buds get used to it, and get jaded...I really think this is my all time favorite beer. My anytime beer: summer - great thirst quencher. Fall: great to go with any Autumn dish. Winter: well, hell, whatever holiday we're in, gimme a Cherry Wheat - it's a celebration in my mouth! Spring: a celebration of the season! I love this one. And maybe that makes my review a little less relevant, but for the record: I don't have any ties to the Sam Adams brewery. But I know what I like.

4.32/5  rDev +34.2%

Appearance: Pours an amber color, a little cloudy. Formed a thick white head, but little lacing.

Smell: Nice cherry aroma

Taste: This is an aptly named beer. I tasted the cherries as it first hit my tongue, then the wheat kicked in.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp.

Drinkability: One of my favorite Samuel Adams beers. I can easily drink several of these in short order. Very nice on a hot summer day.

1.87/5  rDev -41.9%

I thought I'd like this beer, I guess I was wrong. The color is cloudy, the head disappears quickly, the cherry flavor is overpowering. I really had to choke this down. This is not the type of beer for me.
Maybe if I was on a desert island and had nothing else to drink, if that was the case; I'd want a pistol and one bullet.

3.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Bought a sixer of this because my buddy's mom kept raving about how great it was. Poured a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A- Pretty haha. Amber/Reddish-Brown, Great Looking Cream Colored Head

S- Smells like cherries and beer to say the least.

T- I wasn't too impressed by this beer. I drank 2 out of the 6 and stopped because the taste started to overwhelm me. Tasted like someone dropped a Marciano cherry into a wheat beer and shook it

M- Thick, kind of syrupy, not too too bad, didn't want to swish this around much because it kept making my mouth dry

D- Fail. Like I said, I could only down 2 of these, and I was pushing it on the second one. I like complexities, but I enjoy trying to find them in the beer, this beer was to predictable

Overall- Decent beer, not a bad idea to give it a shot. I would probably drink it again, especially if it was on tap somewhere, I bet it would be better that way.

4.22/5  rDev +31.1%

From bottle to glass

A: Cloudy dark orange with small off white head with a little lacing.

S: Strong cherries. Sweet in smell and enveloping...

T: Sweet cherries and wheat. Bright, fruity, with a sweet background. The wheat taste is there blended well with the cherries.

M: Clean and refreshing finish. Nice carbonation.

D: Crisp and clean.A great combination of wheat and cherries.

3.07/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I put this in a build your own six pack. Very happy I did. Has a very distinct cherry taste but not over done. At first drink or tastes like a Dr. Pepper without the sweetness. I think I found another summer beer.

3.9/5  rDev +21.1%

I really don't get the reviews that say the cherry smell and/or taste is overpowering. I love it. But then, I love fruit beers, and this is not only one of my favorite fruit beers, it's one of the few beers I'd actually call a session beer for myself. This is a sweetish, light, refreshing brew that goes well with nearly any type of food, or is great all by itself. If you don't like fruity beers, or if you're a hophead, pass on this one.

(Edited, Jan. '07. I've lowered the rating somewhat, as I've broadened my horizons. Still a beer I like a lot, but not as high on my list as it once was.)

4.77/5  rDev +48.1%

This beer is in a nice bottle and don't let that "Don't judge a good book by its cover" idea fool you this beer lives up to its potential. This beer gets a decent head and pours a nice deep amber but not too dark. The smell of this makes one look forward to drinking it and when it hits the toungue it has a fantastic typical lager flavor but after swallowing, the cherry aftertaste makes this a spectacular beer. SA Cherry Wheat is a simple classic beer. Nothing special enough to spend hundreds on but certainly one that I recommend. This Beer, like most Samuel Adams, are good with Beef, a Steak, a Burger, etc...Try it, you won't be disappointed

3.2/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Hazy reddish gold appealing color.

S: Crisp fruity cherry aroma.

T: Distinct cherry flavor.Very nice, plesant. Maybe a tad, but just a tad too sweet. Nice carbonation. Very refreshing.

F: Medium body, creamy, finishes very clean.

D: For me this is a very drinkable beer. Hard to believe this is a wheat beer. I'm suprised I even picked it up. Didn't know what to expect but I found this to be a breath of fresh air. Very nice.

2.55/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a golden color with a faint haze. Maintains a creamy white head with decent lacing. The nose is dominated by a pleasing cherry aroma. A faint cherry bitterness is balanced out by a malt sweetness. While the nose is relatively fresh, the taste is of cherry cough drops. The initial sweetness on the tongue is quickly banished by dry, bland wheat. The wheat and cherry cough drop flavors are unable to blend together and both stick around long into the finish. The mouthfeel is creamy with a bit of water in the background. The mouthfeel and lack of any cloying sweetness allow me to finish the beer, but I certainly won't be having it again.

3.67/5  rDev +14%

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
Bottle into glass:

This beer pours a honey clear brown with many bubbles. The thick white foam head lasts a long time, never fully disappearing, leaving think lacing behind. The small is too sweet; it smells like cherry syrup, with only a subtle hint of beer at all. The taste on the other hand is great: not too sweet and with only a hint of cherries. The mouth feel is full but not creamy, very refreshing and easy to drink. The bubbles are not really present in the mouth feel that much.

2.58/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearence: Light straw color. The head dissipates much quicker than most other Sam Adam's beers do.

Smell: Huge cherry smell. Overwhelming really. Difficult to detect anything else.

Taste: The cherry taste is present but it's not as overwhelming as the smell makes it seem. Very bitter taste.

Feel: It gives a very syrupy feel to it.

Drinkability: The brew's aroma is too artificial to really be able to enjoy drinking it that much.

2.49/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance is golden, some material suspended in the beer.

Pours with a samll white head.

Smells of cherries and not much else. Also not a huge fan of cherries which doesnt help in my rating.

Not a hug cherry taste that you'd expect from such a strong smell.

Mouthfeel was slightly thick with small amount of grit.

Drinkability was ok but not being a huge cherry or wheat fan i wont seek it out.

3.67/5  rDev +14%

Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat isn't an overly complex and flavored beer, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in this case. You get the initial wheat beer flavor which is good and then in the background the whole time is the cherry. For me the amount of cherry is just right and does not add any sweetness to the beer.

When opening the bottle you really get a strong cherry scent which was somewhat misleading because the cherry flavor is not very strong. Color-wise, it a standard wheat beer color with a slightly redish hue. I really like this beer for the fall/winter.

3.47/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am going to ignore the mostly poor ratings by others, although I admit to be a beer taste rookie. I really like this beer, but I am a fan of cherry flavor (Cherry Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc.) as well as wheat beer in general. I found the amount of cherry just right though the mouthfeel was a bit heavy. I'd definitely buy it again.

1.32/5  rDev -59%

Tastes and smells like horrible cough syrup. Drain poor. Worst beer I've had in quite some time. Not worth the money to try. Harsh fake cherry flavors, and nose.
I have liked most of Sammy's offerings this year but this is a total fail. Jim Koch, must not have tasted this one as it came out of the brewery, because it's completely undrinkable.

4.7/5  rDev +46%

Sweet cherry and fine brew marry together in a harmonious blend. I would have expected a reddish-brown colour and more froth, but smell and taste more than make up for it. Bubbles are a fine fizz like a champagne instead of a typical beer. Not sure what to make of this other than to say it is an identifying characteristic. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is on my favourite list.

3.81/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap is significantly better than the bottle for some odd reason. The cherry on tap was rather flavorful compared to the bottle where it was less prevalent.

I had this beer a few months ago. Thank goodness I didn't buy it. A friend brought a six pack over to the house. Thought it was a good idea due to the fact I'm from Boston originally. Back to the beer taste horrible don't know what Sam Adams was thinking. Just not my swag at all. I am not into any fruity beer period. I like the fact the company tried an experiment, but epic fail in my opinion.

3.74/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured a hazy light bronze color. The aroma was as expected - (a little "kreiky"). All the natural elements to this beer are fine (water, wheat, hops)...it is the cough syrup finish that kills all the promise. This one isn't necessarily "always a good decision".

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a reddish-amber color with a light tan head. Not as cloudy as other wheat beers. The head quickly faded to leave decent lacing. It smells of sweet cherries and not much else. Tastes the same way as it smells; hops are barely noticeable. The mouthfeel is thick and sticky; almost like cherry syrup. Also leaves the lips very sticky. I enjoy this beer after dinner occasionally as a dessert, but more than two would make me feel sick. It would have been nice for S.A. to add more complexity to this underachieving brew.

2.97/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Clear and gold. The thin white head on the pour disappears quickly.
S: So much cherry that I didn't smell any of the malt. The cherry smell gives indication that the cherry taste will be artificial.
T: The cherry flavor is strong and artificial.
M: Surprisingly medium bodied and thick, almost syrupy.
D: One is enough for me.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)