1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,925 | Reviews: 1,079 | Show All Ratings:
dirtylou

3.7/5  rDev +17.8%

appearance: cloudy orange, foamy head, not as tinted as i would have imagined

smell: cherry, very sweet

taste: sweet cherries, underlying wheat taste. not a particularly great wheat beer, maybe a better fruit beer, interesting at least.

mouthfeel: smooth, refreshing

drinkability: the cherry would have been too much after a couple more

08-20-2005 02:13:41 | More by dirtylou
Tone

Missouri

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a clear, pale yellow. One inch head with good retention and lacing. Smells strongly of cherry flavoring (reminiscent of cough syrup). Fits the style unfortunately. There is a smooth and crisp mouth feel (unlike a thick syrup). Average carbonation levels. There is a cherry syrup flavoring that is very strong. Designated as a desert beer and that is the only way I could drink another one of these. There is an associated tartness that makes is hard to drink. Overall, not that great of a combination (cherry + beer).

01-17-2009 20:34:52 | More by Tone
Dogbrick

2.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Auburn color with a thin light beige head. Very strong cherry aroma. There was just too much cherry in the flavor making it almost sickeningly sweet. It doesn't even taste like cherries, more like the cherry flavoring they use to make popsicles or something. I honestly didn't bother finishing the bottle. This wasn't horrible, but they really need to tone down the cherry or balance it better with more malt.

11-13-2002 10:06:14 | More by Dogbrick
kylehay2004

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Single finger head quickly dissipates. Color is golden and minimal hazieness, typical wheat beer appearance.

One key point I have noticed that differed from my experience with the aroma is the cherry smell was very understated. I am wondering if it is due to my review following a beer I had on tap as >90% of these reviews are after having the beer in a bottle. The taste of cherry is certainly well apparent but not overwhelming and refreshing.

Good for summer activities.

06-28-2011 15:17:38 | More by kylehay2004
OWSLEY069

1.95/5  rDev -37.9%

Pours a hazy yellow to orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, dark cherry, almost like a cough drop. In the taste, dry cherry and wheat notes. A fruity bite and medium to light mouthfeel, with a dry cherry fruitiness in the aftertaste. I think it is like a couple Ludens cough drops dropped in a mediocre wheat beer.

10-23-2010 16:01:36 | More by OWSLEY069
tavernjef

3.63/5  rDev +15.6%

Color is a hazy deep golden yellow with a thin off-white head that fades somewhat fast, lace is spotty. Aroma reminds me of watered down cherry flavored cough syrup, or maybe kool-aid, theres some wheat malts giving an overall sweetness in with the flat cherryness that seems artificial to me. A powerful nose as it warms but seems almost to much and a bit artificial. Taste is sweet malts of wheat, pale and soft, with a kick of cherry tart flavor thats a bit to sweet and again comes across somewhat artificial and syrupy. A little hard to get past the cherryness with a bubbly carbonation and lighter feel that nearly makes it champagne-like. As it warms it becomes alot easier to handle and makes for a nice drinker but I don't think I'd have alot of this before the flavor starts to get old.

10-29-2003 17:09:57 | More by tavernjef
Cyberkedi

Georgia

This is one of my favorite beers. Aroma is strong; cherry scent is dominant. Color is deep golden honey-amber. Flavor is malty and pleasant, with a strong cherry overtone and wheaty components. Finish is smooth and pleasant. I am fond of cherries, which is one reason I like this particular beer.

06-16-2007 20:48:45 | More by Cyberkedi
avalon07

South Carolina

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

A: When I poured this one from a bottle to a mug, it had a yellowish color and a cloudy texture. There was an OK head and some good lacing.

S: The aroma, predictably, was dominated by cherries. Not unpleasant, but it didn't necessarily remind me of a beer smell.

T: Like the smell, the taste was dominated by cherries. You do get a bit of the titular wheat and some malt, but the star of the show was the cherry.

M: There was an above average amount of carbonation here, along with a kind of syrupy finish. This is a medium-bodied beer.

D: I have mixed feelings about this one. If you like fruit beers, you might want to try this one. It's not bad, but I don't think I'll move it into the lineup.

04-18-2008 14:29:22 | More by avalon07
twiggamortis420

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a very hazy dark golden color with a slight cherry reddish tint. Foam is of modest size (especially for a wheat) and fairly creamy.

Nose is heavily laden with sweet maraschino cherries and hints of wheat tang and earthy caramel malt.

Tastes mostly like a crisp American wheat beer with a healthy dose of sweet and sour cherry flavor. It is a bit thin, and maybe even leaning towards watery, but I am enjoying this beer more than I thought I would. Not sure if a six-pack purchase is in my near future, but I'll happily drink these as part of the fall sampler pack.

09-30-2009 13:21:06 | More by twiggamortis420
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.03/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz bottle poured into my Sprecher Weiss glass. Best by Nov '09 notched on the label.

A - Brilliant clear golden yellow with non-stop carbonation bubbles feeding a long-lasting, slightly off-white head. Bits of laving cling to the glass halfheartedly.

S - Overwhelming aroma of a combination of fresh, real cherries and cranberries...but with a cough syrup feel to it too. A yeasty wheat aroma lingers in the background complimenting a mellow sweetness well.

T - Strong dry wheat in the background really holds the fort together and keeps it from becoming pure fruit. Even stronger is the tart and mouth-puckering cherry/cranberry clavor. Part fresh fruit, part cough syrup mimicking the aroma is sugary and an enigma that doesn't allow me to make up my mind.

M - Sharply carbonated, this is a light-bodied beer that's a bit slick on the palate and a touch oily.

D - The more I sip at this, the less I want to drink it. It's aroma caught me right away followed by the appearance but the flavor and mouthfeel began turning me off quickly. Not something I'd want more than one of and definitely one of Samuel Adam's weaker offerings.

08-11-2009 02:40:18 | More by BeerFMAndy
bluejacket74

2.75/5  rDev -12.4%

The beer pours a light, slightly cloudy copper color. The off-white head is very foamy, about 1 1/2 inches and sticks around a while with lots of lace. It smells like sweet cherries, more cherry-coke like than anything else. I couldn't really smell anything else other than the cherries. It tastes like cherry too, but it's not a strong flavor. There's a grainy/wheat taste in there too, but like the cherry taste, it's not strong at all. Not much of an aftertaste either. The beer smells better than it tastes. The mouthfeel is pretty thin, and it is easy to drink. Overall I'm not impressed. I usually like Samuel Adams beers, but this offering is very average. I'd drink it again if someone gave it to me for free, but I don't think I'd buy this beer again. There's many more beers I would rather spend my money on.

06-09-2006 23:16:08 | More by bluejacket74
DrDemento456

3.4/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Pours a light amber color, sort of tan but no head to speak of.

S - Wow it smells like cherry cough syrup! As it sits in the glass more wheat comes through but really mostly a very artificial cherry smell.

T - Ehh it's ok. Very mild, if any, cherry taste. Seems muted even in the glass! Mostly a semi nice wheat and fruity taste lifts this to higher than I expected. Enjoyable.

M - Very light and smooth.

D - Na I will not seek it out but if it was ever in a variety case I would not pass it up. Still it was OK at best.

11-12-2010 07:27:32 | More by DrDemento456
ZAP

2.05/5  rDev -34.7%

A-Light orange...unimpressive head for a wheat

S-Artificial cherries....cherry cough syrup....completely uninviting...why they can't achieve a more natural cherry aroma is befuddling to me.

T-Am I sucking on a cherry cough drop or did I just drink this beer...nasty cherry cough syrup flavor...Not much else..some tartness on the finish..

M-Light side of medium...about what I'd expect for the style..

D-Not for me....If I want a cherry cough drop I'll suck on one....I think Sammy does a nice job with their beers for the most part but this one needs to be reworked or eliminated...

07-18-2007 04:30:39 | More by ZAP
tone77

3.83/5  rDev +22%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very strong of cherries. Taste is cherries, some wheat, easy drinking and refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable warm weather beer.

02-07-2010 14:16:05 | More by tone77
flagmantho

4.47/5  rDev +42.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. In full disclosure, I will confess that I love cherries in general and cherry beer usuall receives high marks from me.

Appearance: hazy golden-orange color with some small floaties in it. Two-finger ivory head dissipated somewhat quickly but left an attractive lace.

Smell: mostly cherries but a hint of citrusy wheat aroma comes through. The cherries are nice and present but not overdone; I like it.

Taste: nice cherry flavor; there's also a nice rather dry bite toward the end as the fruit yields to the wheat. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a nice, well-integrated carbonation which yields a nice creamy texture. Great!

Drinkability: I enjoy this beer a great deal and could drink sixer after sixer of it.

11-17-2009 02:43:50 | More by flagmantho
LiquidAmber

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a hazy light golden amber with a fine, thin white head and light lacing. Aroma dominated by cherry juice, wheat and a hint of biscuit malt. Flavor is light wheat, bready malt and cherry juice. Cherry is not as dominating as in the aroma. Finishes dry with light hops and sour cherry, slightly astringent. Nice medium body; surprising light creaminess for a low ABV wheat beer. I liked this better than I thought I would, the initial flavor is well balanced and different. Finish is a bit unbalanced and sharp. Interesting.

11-17-2012 23:57:23 | More by LiquidAmber
TheLongBeachBum

3.1/5  rDev -1.3%

Presentation: 16oz sample, tasted on draft at the Samuel Adams Bar in Miami International Airport.

Appearance: It was late at night, but even after the long flight from LAX to Miami, the orange color of the beer was a surprise and quite bright. Massive frothy white head that stayed throughout the drink and caused a few problems for the server at times.

Nose: Cherry essence is very prevalent and dominates the nose; it has a very sweet fruity odor to it, appealing.

Taste: Whilst the 'in yer face' Cherry nose if fine, the taste is far too overwhelmingly “Cherry” with some light malt, far too much for my liking. This is no Wheat Beer with a hint of Cherry, oh no, this is positively drowned in extract of Cherry, whole cherries would never produce such a strong flavor like this without altering the color of the beer. It had almost a cough syrup aspect to it that put me off, almost a medicinal feel. Take 3 spoonfuls after meals. If they toned the amount of cherry flavoring down a bit, I would imagine this to be much more palatable.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, and it sits quiet nicely in the mouth. It has a good feel and the carbonation levels obviously help this.

Drinkability: Well, I had a whole 16oz to get through, and although I had 2 hours until my next flight to Rio, it took me a long while to drink this one.

Overall: Well, I have not had this before, so I decided to try it. But to be honest, even the small 16oz sample was far too sickly-cherry for me, maybe it would be OK as a dessert beer though. It is not a bad beer, far from it; it just has too much cherry flavoring to make it more than the occasional beer I believe.

08-31-2003 21:23:38 | More by TheLongBeachBum
jrallen34

4.08/5  rDev +29.9%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

This a great beer but its not a great pour or have a good head. The aroma is very strong of cherries.

Its taste very much like cherries, I like having this beer as a chaser after something strong, but its not great after food.

07-11-2009 17:44:29 | More by jrallen34
cokes

Wisconsin

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

If you are into fruit beers, this is certainly one to try.
It pours a pretty standard gold-amber profile with a nice off-white head that retains itself nicely. The nose is hit with a big cherry danish smell. I like this alot...but I am not sure how appropriate this is for a beer. Seemed more like breakfast or dessert. Regardless, it was quite a unique aroma.
The taste is of an american wheat...not a hefe...mixed with a slight cherry flavor. I was glad that the fruit aspect did not overwhelm the beverage.
Still, not a great brew, but a interesting change of pace.
As far as complexities go, the subtle cherry (tart)sweetness is the only thing here, otherwise it seems rather nondescipt.
Again, a nice change-up, but I doubt I'd purchase this again. If I am looking for a light-hearted, drinkable brew, I'll stick with some sort of hefeweizen

03-22-2002 03:49:36 | More by cokes
nickfl

2.63/5  rDev -16.2%

A - Pours with two fingers of white head on a clear, copper colored body. The foam settles relatively quickly and leaves nice rings of lace.

S - Medicinal cherry and bready malt in the background. It smells like an awful cherry creme filled chocolate candy; the one that you really wish you hadn't picked out of the box.

T - Sweet malt and strong, syrupy cherry flavors wash across the palate up front. More of the same in the middle. Things really don't change up much by the finish with a weird, syrupy cough syrup finish and some honey that lingers on the palate.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Well, it tastes like cherry, but it thoroughly proves that such a flavor does not have to be a good thing. It seems like a generic American wheat beer with cough syrup added for depth. It tastes very medicinal and the phenolic cherry is impossible to ignore. Just bad, I can't imagine why they would keep brewing this... really.

05-18-2011 08:08:57 | More by nickfl
champ103

1.85/5  rDev -41.1%

A: Pours a hazy golden color. A decent sized white head forms, but leaves no lace.
S: This smells of cocktail cherry syrup. Kind of like syrup bars keep their cherries in. Just awful IMO.
T: Very sweet and syrupy. Cherries and a touch of wheat. Pretty much cloying.
M/D: A light body that is fairly creamy. The cloying sweetness and cherries makes this hard for me to swallow.

I am sorry, this is pretty bad. Avoid at all costs.

09-17-2008 05:14:33 | More by champ103
blackie

3.73/5  rDev +18.8%

Purchase Before Date is notched December 2005

Upon pouring, the head of large white bubbles quickly recedes. The color is a very clear medium amber. Some slight lacing is left behind on the walls of the glass.

The first smell I notice is that of cherry pie filling. Slightly artificial, I guess from the cherry flavoring, but not too hokey. The cherry is not too powerful and allows the malt to show itself. Behind the cherry and malt, some clean and spicy hops can be found. There is a slight hint of orange peel type citrus.

The beer is pretty highly carbonated, and the mouthfeel medium thin.

The cherry flavor is not overdone, nor does it seem as artificial as on the nose. There is a decent amount of malt to back up the cherry flavors. Hops are present throughout the sip, but become most noticeable after the swallowing when some of the cherry and malt notes subside. Finish is a slight hop bitterness with some tart cherry notes.

07-27-2005 03:35:27 | More by blackie
chinchill

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev +25.2%

12 oz bottle dated best by Nov. 2011; served in a pint glass.

Gold in color, and hazy. A moderate pour produced a very creamy looking 1+ finger of off-white head. The head soon settled to a thin but complete cover that lasted a good while, leaving some lace as the level decreased. Visible fine carbonation.

In short, this beer smells and tastes like it should, as a "Cherry Wheat" - both cherries and wheat/malt are clearly present in both the nose and the taste. The aroma suggests a sweeter ale, more dominated by the cherries than turns out to be the case upon tasting.

I'm not a big fan of wheat beers, on the whole, with some exceptions. This is one of those exceptions. I found the fine cherry fruit flavor, the wheat and other grains, and a bit of hops to be very well balanced and to mix nicely. The cherries make a nice contribution to the mildly bittersweet and faintly hoppy finish.

M - medium body and moderate carbonation, both well-suited to the ale; slightly dry finish.

O - an exceptional wheat beer and summer seasonal that is worth seeking out.

08-26-2011 01:37:14 | More by chinchill
francisweizen

Arizona

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

Much better than I expected! This beer was highly superior to Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic. This poured a nice golden, wheat-like colour with a nice head of foam on top of it. This smelled like...cherries, and it tasted like cherries as well with some wheat thrown in for good measure. This beer is not too sweet, and the mix of beer flavor and cherry flavor really works quite well. I would like to try this one on tap if I can find it somewhere. This had a mediocre, crisp mouthfeel and a decent drinkability as well.
Cheers!,
F.

03-18-2003 15:34:46 | More by francisweizen
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz Bottle

Appearance – Hazy amber colour with a large size fizzy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is a good amount of lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it disappeared.

Smell - Cherries, floral notes, wheat, malts

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste wheat mixed with a very sweet cherry flavour. There are also some floral notes mixed with some light malts. It finishes with a tart and sweet cherry aftertaste.

Overall – I actually kind of enjoyed my first few sips, but the taste started to become too sweet and artificial after a while. It's not undrinkable, it's just not something that I would go out of my way to have again.

08-05-2011 18:30:53 | More by spinrsx
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)