Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,138 | Hads: 3,688
3.96/5  rDev +23%

A - Light amber color, finger head that fades quickly, lacing on the glass.

S - Strong cherry smell, a little chaff

T - Tastes primarily of cherry pie, smoky

F - Typical macro carbonation to mask undesirable tastes, wish there was less

O - Great beer, not sure why it's rated so low. I had low expectations for this one but I've been pleasantly surprised. Favorite Sam Adams by far, will buy again.

1.7/5  rDev -47.2%

- It looks like beer
- It smells sort of like beer
- It certainly doesn't taste like beer
- It is an insult to your taste buds

I had to sign up to this site just to evaluate (I can't even bring myself to use the word B..r)this stuff.
I've had Mort Subite in Belgium that is and always will be my favorite beer. Yep it's made with cherries too but that's where the the comparison stops. I'm not going to spend much time on this review because this swill doesn't deserve it. No fancy phrasing or words needed here to describe this mediocre experiment...it's awful!!! Samuel Adams should be embarrassed to have released this stuff and whomever approuved and tested this concoction should be fired!

Well I don't want to seem too negative reviewing this product, because you really can't be too negative reviewing it if you really love drinking beer.

2.33/5  rDev -27.6%

Had in a bottle long before I was "into" craft beer. Had it again on tap once I entered the craft realm. Pours a wheaty, sunburst orange color, considerably hazy and basically perfectly opaque in the mid-section of the brew. Slightly off-white head is sparkly and foamy and recedes relatively quick leaving some mild lacing behind. The aroma is cherry. That's it. That's all. Just cherries. I mean, I could sit here and tell you "it has some wheat in the background", because it does, but you have to search so hard for it beneath the cherry blanket that by that point it isn't worth it anymore. The cherries smell sweet, tart, and actually a little medicinally cloying. Weird combination, right? I can't decide if this aroma is good or bad - but the fact that I must ask myself that question tells me it's probably the latter.

It hits my palate, medium bodied and heavily carbonated. And that's where shit hits the fan. WOW, the cherry presence is not only overwhelming, but it's basically the only thing you can taste. And as mentioned for the aroma, it's not a very "good" cherry perspective. Hints of the profile taste natural and real - some tartness and sweetness that couldn't be mistaken for anything but fresh cherries. However, it's like the brewers decided that it wasn't enough, and they took it a step further and added a butt-load of extra, artificial cherry flavor to push the flavor envelope of the max. Chalky, medicinal, vitamin-like. It's like, tart cherry cough syrup. Or a sweeter version of a cherry flavored Flintstones vitamin. Aftertaste has a slaughtered wheat profile, still majorly enveloped by the cherry onslaught.

Buuuh. Save yourself the trouble with this one. The cherry is just way too overdone and overpowering, nearly to the point of being undrinkable. And it's not the "fruit-lambic" kind of cherry. It's more of a "take your medicine" kind of cherry. Definitely not for me.

2.77/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

A- Hazy golden with lots of carbonation. Nice two white two finger head with excellent retention and lacing.

S- Tons of cherry sweetness

T- Takes off running from where the nose left off. Cherry sweetness followed by malty sweetness. Did I mention that it’s sweet?

M- Thin and fizzy. Not as crisp and tart like I would have expected it to be.

O- Way to sweet for my taste buds, but I might have found a beer my girlfriend would like! Seems way to sweet for a cherry wheat as if it’s jam packed with cherry artificial flavors rather than the natural tartness I was looking for.

2.63/5  rDev -18.3%

Appearance - Pours a hazy yellowish-amber color with an inch thick, creamy white head. Dissipates after 2 minutes and leaves a really nice lacing.

Smell - Has a very strong cherry aroma that reminds me of licorice. Very malty also

Taste - Overly sweet with a disgusting flavor that reminds me of Robitussin. It's very creamy and malty, with a little bit of wheat shining through at the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium, creamy body with medium carbonation.

Overall - In all honesty, this beer grosses me the hell out.. lol. The only thing I liked was the mouthfeel.

2.92/5  rDev -9.3%

12oz bottle with no date, came with a spring sampler

look is a red amber with a frothy head. smells strongly of bing cherries, with wheat in the background. taste follows with dry dusty wheat, white bread malt, and a slightly artificial cherry flavor. light feel, the cherry isn't cloying at all.

if this sounds good to you, you'll probably like it. it was just ok, im not a fan of the artificial cherry flavor. even though I know its brewed with real cherries, it still comes off tasting like robotussin at times. i wouldn't buy again but wouldn't turn it down.

4.53/5  rDev +40.7%

Poured into standard beer glass, light head, and light amber color. Excellent aroma, refreshing and flavorful. Taste is just like the smell, great wheat base with the crisp cherry notes. The perfect ratio of beer to cherry, not to much, not to little. A great beer to have year round.

4.84/5  rDev +50.3%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams Glass.

Appearance: Cloudy hazy amber color. Very thin white head with mild lacing.

Smell: Cherries, lots of cherries. Some wheat and hop notes.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Delicious cherry and wheat flavors.

Overall: Excellent cherry wheat. Well balanced and flavorful. Always enjoy this brew.

3.92/5  rDev +21.7%

Drank this beer on a regular basis years ago. The wife and I had a sampler at the Yard House that included this beer. I was reminded of years gone by.

This beer is a light cloudy amber color, not much head. Smells wonderful. Now I'm not great at describing flovors but it tastes great. Cold, bubbly and sweet....with a toasty wheat finish, really nice. If Sam Adams fruits the beer...I'm fine with it.

4.64/5  rDev +44.1%

This beer is amazing. The flavor is very sweet which I don't usually enjoy, but in this case it seems to be done wonderfully. I had it on tap, into a pint glass and it was one of the better beers I have ever had. The appearance is like a light weizen, not red like I expected. The smell is beautiful with a bright cherry scent. The taste is brilliant cherry - as I said sweet, but not overbearing. The mouthfeel is nothing special, not bad, but nothing to write home about - definitely nothing left over but a great taste. Overall, I highly recommend it - even for a flavored beer.

3.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a hazy light golden amber with a fine, thin white head and light lacing. Aroma dominated by cherry juice, wheat and a hint of biscuit malt. Flavor is light wheat, bready malt and cherry juice. Cherry is not as dominating as in the aroma. Finishes dry with light hops and sour cherry, slightly astringent. Nice medium body; surprising light creaminess for a low ABV wheat beer. I liked this better than I thought I would, the initial flavor is well balanced and different. Finish is a bit unbalanced and sharp. Interesting.

3.66/5  rDev +13.7%

Another beer that has been around while and I never got to.
Really nice aroma. Reminded me of a cherry tart with a nice toasty wheat character wrapped around the sweet fruit. Quite nice.
Smallish head. I imagined this to have more red to the color, but not so much. Slightly cloudy and amber colors away from reds.
I didn't enjoy the taste as much as the aroma. The fruit and toasted wheat didn't seem to blend as well here, seeming more distinct and separate. I really liked the toasted grain flavor. The cherry was more sweet than tart although not overly so. Mild drying.
Rather full from the carbonation which took away for me.
Nice fall beer though. I can see this with festiveness of T-giving.
Thanks Bry for the bottle.

2.44/5  rDev -24.2%

Part of a mixed Summer pack, cleaning up my leftovers for Fall.

A- The beer received by my pint glass is a hazy light amber. A massive foamy white head forms to about three fingers and settles nicely with good retention. Tons of lace as the head falls and nice webs all down the glass.

S- A blast of cherry to say the least. It isn't overly artificial but you can tell flavoring was used, it says on the bottle too. It would be quite difficult to get such an aroma naturally, something like Slush Puppy Cherry mixed with real fruit. Slight grain and bread hints behind it all.

T- The candy cherry flavor shows up here too but doesn't dominate like in the aroma. It is still strong but other things blend in with it like cereal grain, yeast bread and tiny hint of wheat. The cherry gets pretty medicinal, like cough syrup, after just a few sips.

MF- Creamy overall feel to a light bodied beer. The wheat must be responsible for some of the silky texture. Moderate level of carbonation and some bitterness that doesn't feel that good with the medicinal flavors.

If the cherry flavor wasn't quite as medicinal, this wouldn't be a bad light beer at all. With each sip the fruit flavor just seems to feel more and more fake.

3.52/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a surprisingly yellow with only a slight oranging to suggest the cherries. I sits in the glass as a murky gold with some nice bubbles of carbonation. The beer pours with a nice white head but this mellows down into just a scrim, though it does regenerate when agitated. Lacing for this beer is negligible. The beer smells like cherry coke. The cherry is far too sweet and cloying for natural cherries, but reminds me of a maraschino cherry, which is a nice smell. I’m not expecting this to be the most natural beer, but the candied smell is definitely intriguing. The malt body, hops, and yeast are all overpowered by the cherries except for the smallest ghost of a suggestion of biscuitiness. The beer tastes like a bready cherry cola. The aftertaste is well built with buttery biscuit and only a faint cherry sweet that goes slightly vegetal. The initial sip, however, was heavy with sweet cherries, though the very initial taste is surprisingly heavy with the biscuit malts, but the cherries quickly wash them away to suggest cherry cola. Mouthfeel is a little prickly with the carbonation, leaving a slight tingle, but thick and creamy in the initial sip which that mellows into a watery feeling. The mouth is left with the cloying feel of sweet cherries but little of the flavor and a slight dry burn on the back of the tongue which tingles beneath the light trickle of saliva your mouth works up. Overall this is a strange beer. Its smell and flavor are actually quite good, but the mouthfeel really pulls it back in scoring. It is actually quite good for what the company was going for, as this is a refreshing and tasty fruit beer that is easily mass produced. I compare this more to a cherry cola than to a beer, and I really wouldn’t drink a lot of these due to their cloying nature but one on a hot summer day is not a bad thing to sip when you are looking for something a little different.

3.45/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured hazy gold with a small white head with minimal lacing. Aroma was cherry and bread. Taste was cherry (surpise!) up front and strong with some grain, and an acidic/metallic flavor. The beer finished with a cherry flavor lingering for quite a while. I like cherry, so I thought it was pretty good and would drink again.

2.83/5  rDev -12.1%

355ml bottle poured into pint glass 29/8/12

A golden yellow with lots of bubbles that grow as they rise too a thin film that never really falls and leaves a partial ring of lace

S maraschino cherry flavored cough syrup and a little honey

T reminds me of Cherry Neo Citron poured over cereal, not as bad as it sounds but still far from good

M thin and airy, fake cherry flavor lingers for quite some time

O reminds me more of medicine then beer, drinkable but I wasen´t craving another

I normally like Sam Adams but this one was nothing too write home about, even in the sweltering heat one was enough

3.47/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am going to ignore the mostly poor ratings by others, although I admit to be a beer taste rookie. I really like this beer, but I am a fan of cherry flavor (Cherry Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc.) as well as wheat beer in general. I found the amount of cherry just right though the mouthfeel was a bit heavy. I'd definitely buy it again.

2.38/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours a clear light reddish-orange with a foamy tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. No lacing on this one. Smell is of wheat, grain, and some artificial cherry aromas. Taste is much the same with an almost sickening medicinal cherry flavor that lingers long after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer that is pretty gross and undrinkable.

3.62/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Surprising cherry smell, it was completely unexpected. By far the best Sam Adams I've had. I like the slightly reddish tinge to the dark colored beer and it poured a good head. Overall, I was pleased and would definitely spend some change to have this beer in my fridge again.

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Had this on tap at Atlanta airport. Nice presentation with an interesting amber clouded clour. Adequate 1+ finger white head that stuck around a bit. Smell was a bit of some dulled cherries and some yeast. Nothing remarkable. Taste was pretty decent. I will preface this by saying I grew up on Michigan cherries and enjoy that tart over the top taste. That being said, I didn't get the medicine taste as others have pointed out. A definite fruit beer that IMO is a good combination and quite drinkable. Feel was a good bit of carbonation and medium body. Overall- I think it a pretty good effort from SA. I like the tartness and blend of the hops that evident. Probably need to really enjoy cherries for this one to go down smoothly. An interesting blend that I would drink again-

2.68/5  rDev -16.8%

Yuck, just YUCK. I'm normally a fan of Sam Adams, with their pub at the shipyard here in Bremerton, but this is like taking a perfectly good wheat beer, and mixing some cherry Robitussin in... why??? Why would you do that?

Please understand, though, that I'm a malty beer guy. You fruit beer types might like this, and with that I will say that the cherry flavor does in fact somewhat dance in a balanced fashion with normal beer flavors of wheat and hoppy bitterness. However, for me, the cherry was too much. It's like playing beer pong while you're on a dare from a friend to do a Cherry WarHead (remember those?). You can taste the beer, but you're too distracted by the clenching, undeniable kick in the face of CHERRIES. I finished the beer, but I'm not likely to buy it again. After two bottles to confirm my personal verdict I gave the rest of the sixpack to a friend, so they could deal with it.

So, all in all, not bad, and if fruit beer is your thing, go for it. If you're a strictly beer or malty, bready type like me who prefers that a hop or fruit overload stay out of his mug or growler (or even a single/double/triple IPA guy who would eat a handful of hop flowers on his own free will), reach for another beer at the 7-11. This one is too much fruit, not enough beer.

3.03/5  rDev -5.9%

A-slightly hazy golden yellow color with a decent white head and some lacing

S-wheat malt and dark cherry

T- wheat malt and cherry cough syrup, little bitterness or hop presence, lingering cherry

F-light to medium body with moderate carbonation

O-just can't get by the cough syrup taste

3.39/5  rDev +5.3%

Purchased along with 5 other S.A. beers in the Summer Variety Pack. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: It looks terrible unless you do an aggressive pour... if you do that, you get a nice head, and cherry aroma really comes at you.

Smell: I highly disagree with what other have said about the smell -- I think this smells insanely good. COMPLETELY unlike a beer, but fantastic. A full blast of cherry.

Taste: Not quite like the smell -- on the first sip I immediately thought of Cheerios with cherries. After that, the heavy taste of cherries and wheat subdued, and it tasted like a mild cherry pop, which I don't think is a bad thing at all. I could see why many beer drinkers would be turned off, but I had an open mind coming in.

Mouthfeel: As I said, it's quite a bit like drinking a cherry pop. It's still got a bit of that wheaty, beery taste, but sometimes it's easy to forget what you're drinking is supposed to be BEER.

Overall, I liked this better at a local bar that mixed it with Guinness on tap (Called a "Black Cherry")... regardless, this is still a decent beer. Like S.A's Blackberry Witbier -- and I'd figure most fruity beers I would ever drink -- I wouldn't be able to have more than one in a session. This drinks almost like an after dinner, dessert-type beer.

A very interesting beer. I recommend you try this out. As much as people seem to dislike this beer (A 70 rating on this site for a Sam Adams' beer is really quite low), I have a feeling this is one of their top sellers. I don't KNOW that, I'm just taking a guess... I feel it's super popular among women. I could be wrong though.

2.81/5  rDev -12.7%

Cherry wheat should have been tasty, instead it tastes a little bit like medicine beer. Medicine like the liquid stuff my mom used to feed me when I was a kid. Once you get passed that odd taste, the rest of it isn't so bad. Maybe I just have some sort of bad association with that particular flavor.

2.33/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass. Pours a murky gold with a one finger head, Leaving no lacing. The smell is of faint cherries and Robitussin. Nothing else. The taste is of cherries, And somewhat of light toasted barley and malt. Absolutely nothing else. The mouthfeel allows the complete medicinal flavor to come through, Seriously tasted like Robitussin Nighttime if you let it sit for long enough. Oh well, I didn't pay for it so whatever. A terrible offering by Sam Adams, Even worse than the Summer Ale.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)