2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,930 | Reviews: 1,079 | Show All Ratings:
TTAmod

2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Slightly cloudy light amber with a substantial white head. Doesn't look too shabby.

S: Smells purely like cherries.

T: Thankfully not as cherry forward as the smell. It starts off fairly cherry forward, but slowly subsides to a more husky grain and wheat taste. No hops to speak of. Kind of a weird off taste at the end.

M: Creamy. Medium-thick. A bit too full in my opinion. Hurts drinkablity.

O: I salute the creativeness of this one, but the execution is lacking. This is a cherry forward wheat beer. I think a better idea would to have a wheat beer with cherry notes. This one is too heavy on the cherries.

It's not horrible, though....

04-24-2012 03:14:26 | More by TTAmod
Kerin

Vermont

1.45/5  rDev -53.7%

This beer is a disaster.

A: It looks decent. Like a Boston Lager with a dense, frothy white head. It looks drinkable.

S: What. The. Fructose. It smells literally like a cherry soda.

T: It tastes, unfortunately, like cough syrup, cloyingly sweet and sickeningly artificial. I'm given to understand that real cherries are involved in the process somehow, but I can't visualize this in context with the finished product. At the very, very end of the finish there's a burst of wheaty, warm, inviting malt that I wish was the whole beer. Alas but it is not. This is beer that prisoners would drink if they were out of pruno and were bored of sodomy.

M: Syrupy. Only enhances the cloying character of the taste, though in this case "enhances" only means "makes worse."

Overall, this is a beer that I would not give to people unless I wanted never to see them again. Got two of the damned things with my SA Summer Sampler. The Kolsch and Belgian Session had better be spectacular to make me buy another 12, because the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is punishment from God.

04-21-2012 01:37:35 | More by Kerin
BEERMILER12

Maine

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Pours a straw yellow color with a fingers worth of head that actually retains fairly well... first SA regular rotation beer that I've seen do this. Thought I'd never see the day

S: Cherries stand out by far the most. Some slight wheat malt as well, but the cherries really dominate

T: Follows the nose, cherries at first followed by more cherry and wheat malt. Finishes with more sweet cherry. Well... this is certainly a cherry-forward beer. I wouldn't even bother putting wheat in the name, regardless of whether it's there or not

M: Light bodied with moderate carbonation

O: Don't go into drinking this thinking it will be subtle cherry... because it is NOT just a hint... The cherry consumes this beer. Also, don't drink this if you don't like your beers a little on the sweet side... And that's an understatement. It might get low ratings, but I for one enjoyed it. Probably because 1) I like cherries. A lot. And 2) because I like sweet beers. A lot. You are warned

04-14-2012 03:47:35 | More by BEERMILER12
Star80

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours out a slightly hazy, deep golden color. No lacing.

S: Smells like cherry flavor, faint yeasty smells, but very faint. Kind of wish I could smell more beer, more complexity, but cherry is a bold aroma.

T: Taste reminds me of cherry soda, with a slight dry finish. I don't know, I can't get past all that cherry flavoring. I can't knock this beer for being what it is, but wish it was more, beery, if that makes any sense.

M: Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth.

O: I could imagine this beer would appeal more to non wheat beer drinkers, and possibly could be a good intro for craft beer neophytes to the brand.

04-07-2012 21:47:03 | More by Star80
bubseymour

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Yellow slighty murky wheat beer appearance with minimal 1 finger head that quickly disappears.

Smell - Wonderfully strong cherry presence in the scent. Very nice smell.

Taste - A wonderful blend of wheat, barley and cherry flavorings with a crisp finish. Very well crafted and extremely sessionable.

Mouthfeel - A tad fizzy but nothing too distracting.

Overall - In 1994 I thought this was the best beer on the planet. I still think this is a darn fine tasting beer and is easily enjoyable.

04-06-2012 00:45:43 | More by bubseymour
Douberd

Netherlands

3.83/5  rDev +22.4%

Bottle of 355 ml, bought in a megastore in Mexico.
Pours a honey-like colour, semi-transparent, with a two finger soapy head that after a while becomes half a finger. That half finger has a very good retention. Quite an activity in the glass with lots of bubbles.
Sweet aroma of cherries, if there is something else there I can't find it, the cherries aroma is overwhelming.
Great taste, I don't think I have tried something similar before. Sweet and spicy. Medium thickness on the body and light carbonation.

04-03-2012 15:21:42 | More by Douberd
Murrhey

Montana

1.98/5  rDev -36.7%

Poured on-tap at the Stadium Tavern in Fullerton, CA. Reviewed from notes.

A- Typical Sam Adams fluffy head. Finger and a half thick. Orange color. Long retention.

S- Smells like cherry cough medicine. Very strong. Oofah.

T- I think someone just poured cough medicine into my beer. Disgusting.

M- Medium bodied and sticky.

O- Avoid unless you like adult koolaid.

04-01-2012 18:33:07 | More by Murrhey
jsanford

Georgia

3.1/5  rDev -1%

A - Pours a hazy gold with a dense and creamy white head that settles to a thick cap, leaving soapy lacing clinging to the glass.
S - Straight-up Black Cherry Soda with a touch of crisp wheat. Luckily, I love Black Cherry Soda, but not particularly in my beer.
T - More cherry flavors with some light biscuit malt and a mild bitterness in the finish.
M - Light and crisp, with a medium0thin body and good carbonation.
O - While not my favorite Sam Adams offering, it is an easy-drinking Wheat Beer that could be a nice gateway.

03-31-2012 04:17:34 | More by jsanford
jaasen64

3.13/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle from Sams mixed 12

A- Translucent Yellowish Gold with a very slight reddish hue. Slightly below average carbonation with almost no head.

S- Very very sweet cherry smell. Almost smells like cherry cough syrup.

T- Not nearly as sweet as the smell. Sweet cherry taste mixed with a wheat taste that kind of balances it out a little bit, a little bit watery.

M- Light bodied, feels a little bit more carbonated then it looks, alcohol well hidden, decently sessionable.

O- A lot of people I know like the Cherry Wheat, however I find it to be a huge disappointment. The smell is way too artificial and there isn't much taste in my opinion. I'm not usually a huge fan of fruit beers, however there are a few good ones out there. The Cherry Wheat unfortunately is not one of those. It is not terrible, it is decently sessionable, but definitely not a beer I would drink a lot.

03-24-2012 01:20:09 | More by jaasen64
VaterRoss

12oz bottle

Pours a clear golden/straw color with a large fluffy white head. Nose is wheat and lots of sharp cherry. Taste is a decidedly non-yeasty wheat base that has just a hint of funk. Lots of sharp bitter cherries that may be a tad too strong for my taste. Mouthfeel is med-light and quite high carb with lotsa dryness.

Fruit beers are tricky and this one pulls it off. Wheat dryness and cherry dryness go well together. Did I mention this is dry and tart? Maybe a bit too much cherry going on. Worth a try and a good beer.

03-11-2012 04:21:15 | More by VaterRoss
phichifiji00

4.23/5  rDev +35.1%

Appearance: Golden straw color. Slightly hazy. Pours a thick fluffy white head that fades slowly. Lots of lacing.

Smell: cherry extract, vanilla, cola.

Taste: cherry, biscuit finish, wheat malt, cola.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, crisp finish, smooth upfront. Good carbonation.

Overall: A very tasty beer. One of my favorite fruit beers, and one of the first beers to turn me onto craft beer. Well balanced. Drinkability is very high.

03-07-2012 06:33:16 | More by phichifiji00
tvv375ia

Iowa

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-just a slightly hazy goldenrod color with a good 2 finger head that fades slowly to a small cap

S-black cherries right from the start to the finish with not much in between

T-black cherries dominate here as well but the is a slight floral taste that fome through as well

M-good carbonation with a light to medium body

O-nice offering if you like cherries, pretty straight forward beer with out much complexity

02-27-2012 05:07:32 | More by tvv375ia
TwelveOunces

Kentucky

3.15/5  rDev +0.6%

This is a unique beer and the first of its style for me. It smells very strongly of black cherries, it really dominates on the nose but you can pick up other smells like brown sugar. It drinks just as it smells, black cherries. The taste isn't as strong as the smell but the cherry flavor is still dominant. It also has some light grain and wheat flavors. This beer has a surprisingly full mouth feel, its not the ideal beer to drink a lot of but the texture is all there. It has a dry and cherry flavored aftertaste which is really take it or leave it to me. This is a decent offering from Sam Adams, certainly not their flagship beer. Its decent for what it is and is good enough to spark some interest in the style for me.

02-26-2012 07:55:56 | More by TwelveOunces
rangerred

Tennessee

3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy medium gold with a one finger white head. Really good lacing.

Smells like cherry kool-aid. The cherries really overwhelm any other smells.

The flavor is also all cherries up front. The wheat malt is detectable about halfway through but the cherries continue throughout. There is a cough-syrup like bitterness at the finish that is not completely pleasant.

Overall, I am a little torn on this beer. The cherry flavor is nice but it is a little too overpowering and the finish is really not very good.

02-25-2012 18:20:56 | More by rangerred
Jamesthebrit

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

The odd thing about this is I had it on tap for a second time, and the first time I remember it being much better. Anyway, this is from notes of the second time.

A: Light amber, and looks like a cheap mass market beer.
S: The cherry really stands out and doesn't seem to blend well with the other scents.
T: There are things I like about the taste: the cherry is nice, and the wheat is nice, but they don't compliment each other. They stand independent and this keeps the tastes average in my book.
M: Sits too bubbly and the tartness really lingers around. Sits bitter and aggressive.

Overall I think the thing that really made me not care for this beer is it got progressively worse as I made it through my glass, almost to the point where I didn't want to finish it. I thought the execution was poor, but it was interesting to see what they were getting at.

02-19-2012 16:57:32 | More by Jamesthebrit
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours out a hazy golden orange color with a single finger of white fluff for a head, smells of tart fresh black cherries, almonds, and light amounts of wheat. Flavor contains more of the same as the nose, but also a faint finish of herbal hopping at the very end. Body is somewhat thin but carbonation is alright. The main flaw in this beer that I can pick out is that the cherries are right up on the edge of getting too cloying sweet / cough syrup in nature...

02-16-2012 20:39:43 | More by WastingFreetime
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

This is a very unusual beer. Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat has a thick, fluffy, off-white head and a hazy, golden appearance, with little descending brown flecks and lots of streaming bubbles. The beer really clouded up when I swished it and poured the remaining third. Aroma is cherries and bread, and the taste is likewise cherries, bread, and a touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium and soft, and Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat finishes easy drinking and fairly refreshing. Overall, this is a good beer.

RJT

02-02-2012 21:34:28 | More by RonaldTheriot
lwillitz

3.45/5  rDev +10.2%

12-oz bottle into weizen glass

A - 2 fingers of white head atop a slightly-cloudy golden/yellow body; moderate carbonation bubbles

S - fresh cherry smell, while very pleasant, dominates the nose; wheat in the background; hint of vanilla

T - sweet cherries up front; mostly decent cherry flavor, but with an unpleasant hint of syrupy cherry candy; dry, wheaty finish

M - medium-bodied with high carbonation, quite refreshing

O - nothing unexpected for the style

02-01-2012 20:51:13 | More by lwillitz
Blargimus

Colorado

3.45/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, poured into pint glass. Best by May 2012.

Pours an ever-so-slightly reddish color. Not as hazy as the wheat would have you believe. About half a finger of white head that fades rapidly, leaving ok lacing.

Smells like sweet malt mixed with black cherry juice, with a teeeny hint of hops. I like cherries, so I enjoy it. Your mileage may vary.

Quite a bit of cherry flavor here, but not all of it tastes natural. Plenty of wheat in the aftertaste, followed by bitterness. Again, YMMV.

Medium body with fairly heavy carbonation. Works well.

It's not world-class, but it's certainly refreshing. I could drink a few of these on a summer day and be plenty happy.

01-25-2012 00:47:56 | More by Blargimus
olfolxholme

2.88/5  rDev -8%

12 oz bottle into a Paulaner Weisbier glass

A - Poured aggressively because the glass is actually designed for a .5L weisbier. Ended up with an exciting rush of bubbles that settled into about 3 fingers of frothy white head. A touch of pink, maybe. The beer itself is a surprisingly clear golden amber color. The head retention is pretty good, a thin layer lasts throughout, and there is some decent lacing.

Bottle artwork is typical Sam Adams fair. I appreciate the explanation about the cherries being local but am wary of the "natural flavors added." There's also a freshness date - best before April 2012.

S - Smells like cherries and sugary almonds... but has an artificial flavor that reminds me of medicine, or maybe cherry flavored candy... It's hard for me to decide if I really enjoy this smell or not.

T - Taste truly follows the aroma, a little fuller in the almond flavor. More medicinal. However, this profile is more enjoyable on the tongue than in the nose. (fiance felt the opposite about this point)

M - Thin and watery. I know this is listed as a fruit beer, but it's also a wheat beer. It's lacking in that department.

O - Kind of underwhelming. No need to avoid it, and if this kind of thing appeals to you I imagine it could be somebody's favorite. Definitely not mine. I wish it was better because I love fruit beers and wheat beers - this should have been a slam dunk. Oh well.

01-20-2012 03:13:22 | More by olfolxholme
cfergusn

4.1/5  rDev +31%

A: Appears dark yellow, almost an Amber
S: Cherries galore...
T: Taste is good, a little overwhelming if you are not a cherry fan.
M: Smooth, yet not over done.
O: Not a bad choice on a cold night eating BBQ

Thoughts: While I am generally not a big Samuel Adams fan, I have been trying these out of respect to my fellow connoisseurs. So say this is one of the best, other wont touch it. As I do BBQ using a cherry wood, this helped bring the taste out a bit more. Nice combo...

01-18-2012 05:36:07 | More by cfergusn
mrfrancis

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Pours a pale, hazy gold with a tight, clinging white head. Lacing is great, which is something I really was not expecting out of this beer.

S: A strong and somewhat synthetic cherry aroma immediately wafts up out of my glass. My initial impression is that this looks like a pale wheat ale, but smells like cherry soda. Gradually, cream and wheat notes undercut the artificial cherry sweetness, finally convincing me that I am indeed holding a glass of beer in my hand.

T: The entry is predictably sweet with notes of cherry syrup, heavy cream, vanilla, clover honey, and wheat toast following close on its heels. The finish is crisp and dry, but also rather short, with notes of cherry and wheat toast dominating.

M: Very light in body, with a crisp, dry character and fizzy carbonation. While this ale is not all that much of a revelation in the mouth (in fact, I think I could be forgiven for asserting that it feels like a soda), it is very drinkable.

O: This is a decent fruit beer, but I don't feel that it pulls everything together. The brewers at the Boston Beer Company really should have used fresh cherries only, and not included natural flavorings in this brew, as it could benefit greatly from the melding of cherry and wheat tartness that would likely result. As is, it's just a tad too sweet, and the natural grainy tartness of the wheat clashes with the sweetness of the cherries and cherry flavoring.

01-08-2012 02:35:07 | More by mrfrancis
adevans

3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Deep yellow color that is almost translucent. One-and-a-half finger head that dissipates slowly with lacing.

S - Smells strongly of cherries. It's a big smell up front. Followed up by a yeasty smell.

T - Very little in the way of hops. Mostly a cherry flavor, but NOT like cough syrup. I'm surprised by how well the cherry flavor melds into the bready flavor of the beer.

M - Smooth. Moderate carbonation that rounds out the beer well.

O - A good beer, though it's hard for me to call it that. It seems like a cherry-flavored mixed drink with bread. It's something I'll remember to pick up in the future.

01-04-2012 01:50:31 | More by adevans
rlee1390

Indiana

3.1/5  rDev -1%

A-Translucent deep yellow, carbonated, one finger head with some lacing.

S-Smells like a cherry fruit snakes.

T-Like a cherry soda with alcohol. More like a Mike's Hard Cherry if a thing ever existed. The cherries are not artificial at all though and they mesh well. But still tastes like something that isn't beer.

M-Medium bodied with lots of carbonation.

O-If I had this blind I might doubt that it was beer, not a good beer, because it is more like a fizzy alcoholic beverage that the ladies like to down.

12-31-2011 23:32:41 | More by rlee1390
kalkavekkian

3.38/5  rDev +8%

Bottle poured into tulip glass a light golden hue with a small creamy head. Smell was distinctly wheat malt with a dry tone. Very drinkable with a nice cherry twinge in the back. Smooth on the palate and goes down well. I have already gone thru a couple of cases of this in the past few months.

12-28-2011 22:36:39 | More by kalkavekkian
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)