Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,132 | Hads: 3,666
3.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Too sweet and fruity for me, but my girlfriend likes it. The aroma is of cherries. Which also comes through in the flavor. The cherry is so strong that it overpowers any hope of tasting hops. The beer poured out of the bottle oale gold in color with hardly any head. A good beer to share as a novelty, but I am not overly fond.

4.2/5  rDev +30.4%

This is a favorite of mine that goes way back to when I first discovered good beer. It looks like a traditional wheat beer, but has a reddish tint and has little or no head. The smell of cherries invites you to drink this wonderful brew. The taste is also of cherries and a nice balance of wheat malt and just a tinge of hops. I am not usually fond of fruit beers, but this beer keeps me coming back for more. It is definitely drinkable.

2.24/5  rDev -30.4%

My wife really enjoys this beer so I had to try it.

Serverd from a bottle, pours a nice lightly cloudy, amber color. Small head, laced glass nicely. Smells very strongly of sweet cherries, very nice... I just don't care for the taste, to me, although the cherry flavor is very evident, the hops overwhelm the beer. Mourhfeel is poor, the carbonation is too coating for me..

Don't let me turn you off from this beer, my wife ( a beer neophyte) loves it, but its just not to my liking.

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer pours a copper colour into the glass. It has a big white foamy head, that are long lasting. The smell is strong of cherries. It has an artificial smell too. The charry taste isn't as strong as the smell. It also has a wheaty malt taste. I find the body to think for my liking. Well, this wasn't my favourite beer. But it was worth trying.

2.71/5  rDev -15.8%

Presentation: Dark Brown Bottle, gold Label

Pour:A nice gold color with decent carbonation. About an inch head which reduces to lacing.

Smell: Deffinatly smell the cherry flavoring. Excellent.

Taste: Cherry flavor comes through well, but not too sweat and deffiantly not heavy.

Drinkability: could drink these quick... but why would you want to?

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer pours a light amber color with a white head that sits about a 1/4". It's a decent looking beer. The smell is good. It smells predominately of cherries. The taste is wheat-like on the tip of your tongue and as it coats your mouth, a strong cherry flavor takes over. Strong cherry aftertaste. Average mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. Its an alright beer but nothing special. I'm not big on cherry flavored beers unless its a lambic or something of the sorts. Maybe just not this one. Try it if you think this might be down your alley.

2.83/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured a clear amber-gold with a 1/2 inch head that retained fairly well. Aroma was noticeable upon popping the cap, as a soda-like cherry aroma first presented itself. Upon further aromatic detction however i found the aroma to contain a bit of wheat like malt and a lot of artificial smelling cherry. The flavor is a lot better than the aroma as the cherry flavor is a lot more subdued than the aroma might let on. The flavor begins with a tight melding of cherry, carbonic bite, and dry wheaty malt. It soon segues into just malt and leaves a cereal taste almost like cheerios to linger in the mouth. The body is way too light and this beer could use a little higher mash temperature. The drinkability is quite subjective and personally i would go for an Apricot ale from Pyramid instead of another cherry wheat as it is a bit too soda-like and is definetly a beer for those who don't like beer but like alcopops.

2.95/5  rDev -8.4%

I am not a hhuge fan of this beer. It is definitely not of the quality as other Boston Beer offerings. The cherry smell is nice, but when I taste it, all I taste is syrup, like cough syrup. It is not the least bit complex. However, it is a drinkable beer, especially for the non-beer crowd. It is without a doubt a step up from the malternatives.

3.33/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours out a copper color with good lacing. A very strong aroma of cherries that doesn't smell bad, just not what i prefer. I thought it was overwhelmed with the cherry flavor and good hints of spices. The body was full and heavy to me. This beer is not my style but i give it respect. think this would be a great beer to serve after dinner.

4.62/5  rDev +43.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This has certainly got to be one of my absolute fovourites from Samuel Adams. Extremely tasty. Pours a golden orange colour with almost no head, just a thin slightly off-white haze. Laces the glass nicely. Just looks good, almost thirst quenching. The smell is very strong of cherry. There is no doubt whatsoever that there is cherry in there. The taste is divine. Alot of cherry at first, then it subsides to a maltiness which then gives way to a very nice toasted flavour. Just delicious. Medium bodied; not too heavy. The mouth feel is a bit thinner than the black motor oil porters and stouts that I typically drink. Very tasty, very smooth, not a whole lot of carbonation, very drinkable. Fantastic!!

Light copper body, low carbonation but decent retention and great lace. Head is off-white and consists mostly of tiny bubbles.
Cherries whap your face when sniffing this brew, very strong and apparent, sweet, ripe, big cherry scent.
The flavor is more subdued than the scent though the cherries are still dominant, some marcipan and a faint nougat flavor. Aftertaste is very similar to the upfront taste and quite pleasant.
Body is full without going into the stout domain, leaves a good coating on the palate.
Good sommer brew, crisp sweet and light.

3.35/5  rDev +4%

Written From Notes Compiled 6/04-8/04:
Medium gold body, no lasting head at all, even with a proper pour. Smells like, not very surprising, cherris. The taste is again cherry strong, but a yeastiness is present from the wheat beer base. Not too bad, for a fruit beer. Stays away from a cloying flavor, does not approach cough syrupy. It's like someone put grenadine in a sam adam's hefeweizen.

3.87/5  rDev +20.2%

Obtained from: Sam's Wine in Downers Grove http://www.samswine.com/
Sampled on: August 20, 2004

Aroma: Strong cherry flavor is evident from the cherry aroma of this beer. Almost smells like a glass of cherry juice.

Appearance: Has a dark amber/orange color with a strong foamy head. Lots of carbonation in this beer. I could spend all day watching the bubbles.

Taste: It has a distinct cherry flavor, although it may be strong for someone who isn't into that. There is also a strong wheat flavor giving a refreshing afterbite.

Mouthfeel: It was smooth, but awfully light on the body. Almost like it had been watered down.

Drinkability: Definitely a "dessert" beer, I wouldn't drink this with a meal. However it is refreshing and has a good cherry flavor. Unfortunately, it was awfully light - almost like drinking a flavored light beer - for my taste.

3.55/5  rDev +10.2%

I had this out of a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a pint glass. Part of the Sam Adams Brewmaster's Collection. Freshness date notched January 2005.

Appearance is a light copper color with some carbonation evident. Slight cloudy appearance as well. Nice sticky lacings.

Smell is ripe cherries with an overall fruity aroma.

I have had this beer many times over the years and I think it serves it's purpose. I usually don't like to have more than a couple of these at one sitting, but it's an enjoyable starter. The overall flavor is sweet cherries mixed with a dry wheat profile.

Nice to see that Sam Adams has continued to produce this unique fruit brew over the years.

3.92/5  rDev +21.7%

I enjoy experiementing with so many beers, its summer presently
and its hot and theres nothing like drinking a nice chilled beer in
the hot weather, especially when you know there will be several
more to come... I really haven't tried a beer by this brewer that
I don't like, I love blueberry ales, strawberries aren't bad, I've
tried blackberry, granny smith style apple, and I said hell, cherry
can't be all that bad. I bought a six pack and I have to say its
not that bad. I love cherries in the summer and this one does
have a nice cherry smell and light cherry taste. Its not overwelming
at all, its like strawberry blond from petes, it nice on a hot day
I drink several of them, they're light and they don't over power
with a buzz, it does have a very slight sour note back their I like-
it works on the sweetness. It gets a bit dry as well. I would recommend this one, if you like to try a fruit wheat beer. Theres
lots to choose out their, this is an average beer, I wouldn't say
its the best but it does have some merit to it.

2.9/5  rDev -9.9%

I've been drinking this one way before I was drinking craft beers. Had it again recently, as this was the only somewhat non-macro that was offered. It was an amber color with a small straw head. It smells like cherry and wheat, but artificial like. It has a good taste for just drinking beer. It is somewhat sour like, and sweet too. Had a nice hop finish. I see why I liked it so much when I was younger, and dumber. If there's not much else to order, I would stick with this one. It's not a bad beer, just average.

2.25/5  rDev -30.1%

All show and very little go with this cherry wheat beer from Sam Adams.

Head goes to about three fingers with just a simple pour from a 12 oz brown glass bottle, with a “Brewmaster’s Collection” label, no less. A nice light tan head, I might add, that leaves sheets of lace down the sides of my glass, a large 22oz one.

The body of this fluid, a nice cloudy amber orange, is very aesthetically pleasing... but that is about as far as it goes with this brew.

Nose is a chemical cheery that over powers any wheat elements and borders on being cloy.

Taste is a sour wet cheery in search of something sweet, but coming back with insufficient funds. The bight of carbonation does not help at all with this concoction. In my humble opinion, a bit of sweet barley malt would help.

The bottom line is that this offering from Sam Adams fails miserably as a fruit beer and is a wretched example of style.

2.53/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yellow colored body, slightly opaque with a light white head. Smells like cherries. Tastes like drinking a cherry popsicle. Cherry is NOT my favorite fruit flavor. The cherry characteristics of this beer overwhelmed me. If you really like the flavor of a cherry popsicle you just might like this. But this is not for me.

2.24/5  rDev -30.4%

Pale cloudy straw w/ thick white head that leaves a nice lace

Ludens cough drops is about the nicest thing that comes to mind. Not very inviting.

Slightly bitter, but overwhelmingly the flavor is of cherry cough syrup. Avoid this beer at all costs. You'd be better off going out and drinking a bottle of Robitussin

3.2/5  rDev -0.6%

This beer is good but there is a little to much sweetness to it. When one first drinks the beer it tastes more like a sweetened beverage than a beer. The intial taste is good but the taste flatens out when one starts to swallow the beer. Overall this is a okay beer but it is a little to sweet for a same adams beer for my taste. The cherry and beer flavor could be a little more balanced. The cherry taste almost overpowers the beer.

This beer was a nice amber color, low head. It smelled sweet and hoppy, with light cherry overtones.

The taste was of crisp wheat, with a cherry fore- and after-taste. As I like fruit beers, and like cherries, this was very nice.

Overall, a very nice, drinkable beer and one to try either by itself or with light, non-spicy snacks on a warm summer's day.

4.04/5  rDev +25.5%

Medium amber color with a good lace. Very strong pleasant cherry smell. Taste is quite mild with cherries and a little bit of malt, but nonexistant bitterness. It goes down very smoothly. A good refreshment that would complement milder foods or good on its own.

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Enjoyed on tap at TGI Friday's, Millbury, MA, presented in a 23oz hefe-type glass.

Smallish slightly off-white head on an amber shaded brew. Lacing was excellent. Reasonably strong cherry aroma. Taste was pale malts balanced with cherry flavor, but not overpowered by them. Mouthfeel was good for a fruit beer, which is a reasonable compliment since I am not the world's biggest fruit beer fan. Drinkability was good as well, although I am guessing the cherry flavor was strong enough to get old after awhile. Better than I thought it would be, give it a try.

2.84/5  rDev -11.8%

Nice long lasting creamy head, glittering opaque orange color body. The smell is of artificial cherry, like cherry yogurt. Cherry yogourt in the taste with some peaches and hints of sourness. The mouthfeel is creamy and round, with a low carbonation. The artificial aromas and flavors are quite annoying. I wouldn't want to have another one. Then again, I don't really like cherry.

3.73/5  rDev +15.8%

Excellent lumpy, all white head. Slightly cloudy with an orange, light amber color.

Cherry sweetness in the aroma that reminds me of Kool-Aid, albeit a little more sour. No perceptible hop. No perceptible wheat (which is okay with me).

Like a sweettart, strong fruity sweetness that gives way to a lip puckering sourness that lasts through the aftertaste. There's a thin film left on the palate after the swallow.

Not as sour as a lambic, not as refreshing as a pilsner, this beer has a niche in between. A pleasant change of pace.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)