Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,618 | Reviews: 1,166
3.6/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a 16oz. unfrosted mug. To my surprise this beer poured a think and fluffy snow white head. Wasn't expected that much head from a bottle. Beer was a dark yellow in color. Not as light as a Pilsner but not as dark as an APA.

Smell was cherries to the extreme right up front. Sublte malt and hops behind this innitial fruit smell, but the cherries by far won battle for smell.

So too did they win the battle for taste. The beer is overflowing with cherry flavor all throughout. The lable says made with real cherries and cherry flavor. Perhaps they went a little overboard on one or both of those. I've only had one other fruit beer from SA and that is there cranberry. My complaint with that beer was that there was no bite or crispness to the end of this. The Cherry Wheat addresses and solves that problem. One very nice thing is that it has a nice tart crisp finish to every sip that is actually rather enjoyable.

The beer is all in all not too bad. Not one of my favorite styles and perhaps not the best beer to enjoy in January. But, that being said, this is something I could see my self getting on occasion throughout the Spring and Summer months. It would seem to hit the spot in that setting.

Nothing special here, but a decent enough brew.

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice golden amber with an inch of creamy white head that left minor lacing.

Smelled slightly of wheat but much more strongly of Sweet Marachino Cherries.

Initially the taste comes of as a very dry wheat flavor with some cherry flavor coming through, still a nice slight bit of hops at the end. Not nearly as much cherry flavor as I remember in drinking this in the past, much more of a nice crisp amber beer flavor coming through.

Mouthfeel is rather thin and slightly slick feeling.

Overall not to bad for a fruit beer.

3.86/5  rDev +22.9%

I've had this sitting in my fridge for quite a while, so I figured I would get it over with before it too old. It wasn't all that bad, but I couldn't imagine drinking more than one even though it is fairly low ABV and very refreshing. The cherry taste is just too overwhelming for those of us who crave hops but enjoy a good wheat from time to time.

The beer poured to a very clean golden color with minimal white head that faded to nothing within a minute or two. The smell was great, like fresh cherries. No malty aroma, just cherries.

The taste was the same as the smell. Cherries. The finish? Cherries. They really did an excellent job of bringing out the cherry flavor and smell, but I would have liked to have a hint of beer in there as well.

The mouthfeel was a light swill. I won't be buying more of this, but incidentally, I got my BMC-drinking, scared-to-dip-his-foot-in-the-water-of-real-beer friend hooked on this stuff. I might drink some of his if I didn't bring my own beer, but I would most likely bring my own before resorting to this for a session.

2.98/5  rDev -5.1%

My parents picked this up for me while on vacation in Northern Michigan (the cherry capital of the universe). I have to give my parents credit for picking up some craft beer even if it might not be my favorite. So here we go....

Presentation: Best before 2/05 notched on the side of the bottle. Yeah, ok, fine...

Appearance: Pours a pale clear copper with a sticky, fluffy ivory head.

Smell: Smells like tart cherry juice.

Taste: Taste is cherries up front with a wheaty and biscuity base. The cherries definitely dominate but there is some crispness provided by the wheat base.

Mouthfeel: Medium and slightly creamy. Definitley a full taste.

Drinkability: A highly quaffable brew. I can see this as more of a spring or fall, sitting on the deck kind of a beer.

Interesting and I probably won't be back but props to my parents for this one!!

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

Medium amber color that is clear with a very small white head. Aroma full of cherries and almond extract. Sweet and tasty black cherry flavor. Finishes dry and clean still lingering with cherries.

If you like cherries, you'll probably like this, but I can't really imagine myself drinking this regularly or with any sort of meal except for desert.

The bastard son of a wheat beer and froot loops. This beer has been in my fridge for a long time. My girlfriend picked up a 6er a long time ago and they have just sat there. I had one after a night of drinking Maredsous 10 and I thought it was more akin to snorting Pixie sticks than having a beer. Never come close to this beer unless you are firm in your opinion that you want a fruit beer. It isn't one of the best beers of had, but compared to the competitors in this genre it ain't too bad.

2.66/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear, light amber color with a large, rocky white head. Pronounced cherry smell along with wheat malt. The cherry flavor is not as strong as in many fruit beers, but the flavor is off. It reminds me of cherry flavored cough drops. I could not detect any hops. I’m not a big fan of the cherry flavor, but it could have been worse.

3.65/5  rDev +16.2%

A solid beer paired with Thanksgiving dinner. Poured a dark gold color with a medium head that retained itself well. Smell of dark cherries permeates the first whiff of this beer. Tasted somewhat sweet, with a prevalent cherry flavor that comes out immediately and stays with the tongue after swallowing. This beer did not have the residual bitterness noted in other beers of the same type - in other words, this to me seemed more on the lager than on the ale side. One could easily order another one of these after the first. Very easy to drink and enjoy.

2.41/5  rDev -23.2%

This beer is the eeriest copper with weird pink tones that give it a hazy appearance even though its decidedly not a victim of protein haze and so on. Keeps a decent head, but that color just weirds me out.

Smell of the most digusting scent of fake Maraschino cherry juice. Overly saccharine and truly cloying, made me want to gag. This was overpowering that it bled into the flavor, tainting the wheat base that didn't taste wheat-like in the first place. Cherries were more than a bit light in the flavor department, somehow...

The surprise was the nicely rounded mouthfeel, an afterthought to the scent. Its hard to critically speak about this beer - the scent was gagging and the flavor was wholly lacking. Just poor beer passing a fruit cocktail for those who don't like beer - the exact reason why my friends had bought it.

3.32/5  rDev +5.7%

Too sweet and fruity for me, but my girlfriend likes it. The aroma is of cherries. Which also comes through in the flavor. The cherry is so strong that it overpowers any hope of tasting hops. The beer poured out of the bottle oale gold in color with hardly any head. A good beer to share as a novelty, but I am not overly fond.

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

This is a favorite of mine that goes way back to when I first discovered good beer. It looks like a traditional wheat beer, but has a reddish tint and has little or no head. The smell of cherries invites you to drink this wonderful brew. The taste is also of cherries and a nice balance of wheat malt and just a tinge of hops. I am not usually fond of fruit beers, but this beer keeps me coming back for more. It is definitely drinkable.

2.24/5  rDev -28.7%

My wife really enjoys this beer so I had to try it.

Serverd from a bottle, pours a nice lightly cloudy, amber color. Small head, laced glass nicely. Smells very strongly of sweet cherries, very nice... I just don't care for the taste, to me, although the cherry flavor is very evident, the hops overwhelm the beer. Mourhfeel is poor, the carbonation is too coating for me..

Don't let me turn you off from this beer, my wife ( a beer neophyte) loves it, but its just not to my liking.

3.4/5  rDev +8.3%

This beer pours a copper colour into the glass. It has a big white foamy head, that are long lasting. The smell is strong of cherries. It has an artificial smell too. The charry taste isn't as strong as the smell. It also has a wheaty malt taste. I find the body to think for my liking. Well, this wasn't my favourite beer. But it was worth trying.

2.71/5  rDev -13.7%

Presentation: Dark Brown Bottle, gold Label

Pour:A nice gold color with decent carbonation. About an inch head which reduces to lacing.

Smell: Deffinatly smell the cherry flavoring. Excellent.

Taste: Cherry flavor comes through well, but not too sweat and deffiantly not heavy.

Drinkability: could drink these quick... but why would you want to?

Cheers!!

3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

This beer pours a light amber color with a white head that sits about a 1/4". It's a decent looking beer. The smell is good. It smells predominately of cherries. The taste is wheat-like on the tip of your tongue and as it coats your mouth, a strong cherry flavor takes over. Strong cherry aftertaste. Average mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. Its an alright beer but nothing special. I'm not big on cherry flavored beers unless its a lambic or something of the sorts. Maybe just not this one. Try it if you think this might be down your alley.

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured a clear amber-gold with a 1/2 inch head that retained fairly well. Aroma was noticeable upon popping the cap, as a soda-like cherry aroma first presented itself. Upon further aromatic detction however i found the aroma to contain a bit of wheat like malt and a lot of artificial smelling cherry. The flavor is a lot better than the aroma as the cherry flavor is a lot more subdued than the aroma might let on. The flavor begins with a tight melding of cherry, carbonic bite, and dry wheaty malt. It soon segues into just malt and leaves a cereal taste almost like cheerios to linger in the mouth. The body is way too light and this beer could use a little higher mash temperature. The drinkability is quite subjective and personally i would go for an Apricot ale from Pyramid instead of another cherry wheat as it is a bit too soda-like and is definetly a beer for those who don't like beer but like alcopops.

2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

I am not a hhuge fan of this beer. It is definitely not of the quality as other Boston Beer offerings. The cherry smell is nice, but when I taste it, all I taste is syrup, like cough syrup. It is not the least bit complex. However, it is a drinkable beer, especially for the non-beer crowd. It is without a doubt a step up from the malternatives.

3.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours out a copper color with good lacing. A very strong aroma of cherries that doesn't smell bad, just not what i prefer. I thought it was overwhelmed with the cherry flavor and good hints of spices. The body was full and heavy to me. This beer is not my style but i give it respect. think this would be a great beer to serve after dinner.

4.62/5  rDev +47.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This has certainly got to be one of my absolute fovourites from Samuel Adams. Extremely tasty. Pours a golden orange colour with almost no head, just a thin slightly off-white haze. Laces the glass nicely. Just looks good, almost thirst quenching. The smell is very strong of cherry. There is no doubt whatsoever that there is cherry in there. The taste is divine. Alot of cherry at first, then it subsides to a maltiness which then gives way to a very nice toasted flavour. Just delicious. Medium bodied; not too heavy. The mouth feel is a bit thinner than the black motor oil porters and stouts that I typically drink. Very tasty, very smooth, not a whole lot of carbonation, very drinkable. Fantastic!!

Light copper body, low carbonation but decent retention and great lace. Head is off-white and consists mostly of tiny bubbles.
Cherries whap your face when sniffing this brew, very strong and apparent, sweet, ripe, big cherry scent.
The flavor is more subdued than the scent though the cherries are still dominant, some marcipan and a faint nougat flavor. Aftertaste is very similar to the upfront taste and quite pleasant.
Body is full without going into the stout domain, leaves a good coating on the palate.
Good sommer brew, crisp sweet and light.

-Oelergud

3.35/5  rDev +6.7%

Written From Notes Compiled 6/04-8/04:
Medium gold body, no lasting head at all, even with a proper pour. Smells like, not very surprising, cherris. The taste is again cherry strong, but a yeastiness is present from the wheat beer base. Not too bad, for a fruit beer. Stays away from a cloying flavor, does not approach cough syrupy. It's like someone put grenadine in a sam adam's hefeweizen.

3.87/5  rDev +23.2%

Obtained from: Sam's Wine in Downers Grove http://www.samswine.com/
Sampled on: August 20, 2004

Aroma: Strong cherry flavor is evident from the cherry aroma of this beer. Almost smells like a glass of cherry juice.

Appearance: Has a dark amber/orange color with a strong foamy head. Lots of carbonation in this beer. I could spend all day watching the bubbles.

Taste: It has a distinct cherry flavor, although it may be strong for someone who isn't into that. There is also a strong wheat flavor giving a refreshing afterbite.

Mouthfeel: It was smooth, but awfully light on the body. Almost like it had been watered down.

Drinkability: Definitely a "dessert" beer, I wouldn't drink this with a meal. However it is refreshing and has a good cherry flavor. Unfortunately, it was awfully light - almost like drinking a flavored light beer - for my taste.

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%

I had this out of a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a pint glass. Part of the Sam Adams Brewmaster's Collection. Freshness date notched January 2005.

Appearance is a light copper color with some carbonation evident. Slight cloudy appearance as well. Nice sticky lacings.

Smell is ripe cherries with an overall fruity aroma.

I have had this beer many times over the years and I think it serves it's purpose. I usually don't like to have more than a couple of these at one sitting, but it's an enjoyable starter. The overall flavor is sweet cherries mixed with a dry wheat profile.

Nice to see that Sam Adams has continued to produce this unique fruit brew over the years.

3.92/5  rDev +24.8%

I enjoy experiementing with so many beers, its summer presently
and its hot and theres nothing like drinking a nice chilled beer in
the hot weather, especially when you know there will be several
more to come... I really haven't tried a beer by this brewer that
I don't like, I love blueberry ales, strawberries aren't bad, I've
tried blackberry, granny smith style apple, and I said hell, cherry
can't be all that bad. I bought a six pack and I have to say its
not that bad. I love cherries in the summer and this one does
have a nice cherry smell and light cherry taste. Its not overwelming
at all, its like strawberry blond from petes, it nice on a hot day
I drink several of them, they're light and they don't over power
with a buzz, it does have a very slight sour note back their I like-
it works on the sweetness. It gets a bit dry as well. I would recommend this one, if you like to try a fruit wheat beer. Theres
lots to choose out their, this is an average beer, I wouldn't say
its the best but it does have some merit to it.

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

I've been drinking this one way before I was drinking craft beers. Had it again recently, as this was the only somewhat non-macro that was offered. It was an amber color with a small straw head. It smells like cherry and wheat, but artificial like. It has a good taste for just drinking beer. It is somewhat sour like, and sweet too. Had a nice hop finish. I see why I liked it so much when I was younger, and dumber. If there's not much else to order, I would stick with this one. It's not a bad beer, just average.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)