Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,619 | Reviews: 1,167
3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours out golden colored with a slight orange tint to it and a great head that leaves good lacing behind as well. Aroma is all cherries. The taste is much like the aroma, but not overpowering which is most people's fear with this type of beer. It is moderate in strength but sweet, making it undesirable after maybe 2 or 3. Not a bad beer at all, I always enjoy Sammy A Cherry Wheat once in a while.

2.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Smells like cherry flavored cough drops to me, but I think smell is overrated anyway. I've had plenty of excellent cheeses that smell like a marathoner's jock strap. I like the cloudy, mysterious amber color, although the head is on the thin side. And yep, it tastes like a cherry flavored wheat beer to me. The cherry flavor actually takes about a half second to hit you, and isn't overpowering like too many fruit beers, but it is still a little on the strong side. Subtlety is best with the fruit beers. A little harsh going down, but drinkable. Not my favorite, but it's still good for a quaff now and then.

1.7/5  rDev -45.9%

From the “Brew Master’s Collection”
Aroma: Wait for it….. Cherry.
Appearance: Deep golden color with a collar of white head fed by an active carbonation. The brew left some traces of lace.
Flavor: Starts with a nice malt base but is quickly overwhelmed with an artificial cherry taste. The cherry reminds me of a fizzy cherry medicine or candy, so it’s hard to call it “fruity”. I couldn’t detect any hops, and it needed some to bring it back from the cloying edge it reached.
Mouthfeel: Thin body with a solid carbonation prickle.
Overall Impression: Too much “cherry” not enough hops. Just leaves the beer one sided, and not on a good side. I like fruit beers, too bad this isn’t one.

1.75/5  rDev -44.3%

Remember when you were sick when you were a little kid? Mom would come into your room with a bottle and a spoon. She'd reassuringly try to coo, "It's cherry flavored!"... but, you just KNEW that didn't mean it would taste good!

I'm sure the Sam Adams people worked closely with pharmaceutical industry contacts to perfect this artificial, mediciney cherry flavor!

The appearance of this beer is not bad, hazy orange-gold with a white head that fades quickly. The smell is OK, too... dominated by cherry with a little wheat beer in the scent. Mouthfeel is thin and fizzy.

It's the taste that's just horrible! Very reminiscent of Robitussin. Vague sour aftertaste. Cherry-medicine burps afterwards!

I really cannot fathom why this is rated as high as it is!

3.17/5  rDev +1%

Pours orange-gold with a big head.

Aroma full of cherries and sweetness, a light metallic scent too.

Full body, smooth. Flavor full of cherries and sweetness. Crisp but very sweet. No other real flavors, just cherries.

An OK fruit beer, I wouldn't have more than one though.

3.1/5  rDev -1.3%

Hazy bronze with a 1-finger head and moderate lacing on the glass, on the verge of being creamy. Sweet cherry aroma masks pretty much everything else, wheat barely there. Excellent mouthfeel, with tingly carbonation, slick and full (for the style) around the tongue. Cherry and malt are somewhat balanced, the cherries' sweetness just a little over-the-top, dry going down, with chery-tinged maltyness emerging in the aftertaste, finishing cleanly.

Cherries just a little too overpowering, but considering it's in the name, I suppose that is the point. If it were a bit more subtle, the wheat could come out and play, making this a more complex brew. As it is, it's a single-themed dessert.

3.07/5  rDev -2.2%

I don't remember the cherry flavor in this beer being so dominant and annoying at times. It used to be a nice compliment, but now it's taken a turn for the worse. Nevertheless, still a decent beer. You can still taste wheatiness, though it is not very pronounced. The cherry aspect is pleasing but gets on my nerves at the same time. It seems too much like cherry cough syrup now. Hopefully, I will be able to thoroughly enjoy this beer once again.

3.8/5  rDev +21%

This would make a nice after-dinner dessert beer. Pours to a frothy off-white head and deep golden-orange color. Smells like cherries and cream--not beerlike at all. Flavor starts with a rush of charry flavor then fades out to reveal a nice wheat beer base. Finishes with a sour wheat malt aftertaste mixed with fresh cherries. A remarkable beer that has real beer flavors mixed with cherries. It would be appreciated by non beer lovers as well.

3.69/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

After all these years, this is my first taste of this beer. Poured a hazy and dull golden amber color. Topped with a rich and creamy head that left walls of lace on the glass. There’s no mistaking the sweet cherries in the aroma. Fruity and sweet malt nose with some sourness from the wheat malts. Quite amazing actually, it’s like smelling a chocolate and cherry cream pie. Smells appetizing. Taste is light and fruity, with a slight metallic-tannic tinge to it. Pleasant hop bitterness peeks it’s head out of all that fruitiness. Some lactic sourness comes through. Medium to light body and overall a refreshing and drinkable change of pace. I enjoyed it.

2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured an orange/amber color with a thin white head and decent lacing. Light steady carbonation.

The smell is like a jar of marischino cherries. Not much malt or hop scent.

The taste is heavy on cherry, light on beer. Almost like carbonated cherry soda with a hop aftertaste. Some of the traditional wheat beer flavors develop with time.

The mouthfeel is average, but slightly syrupy.

This is a nice dessert beer, my second favorite fruit wheat beer, behind Abita's Purple Haze raspberry wheat. I don't think I could drink many of them in a sitting, it's a very sweet beer.

3.32/5  rDev +5.7%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The color is a copper, slightly hazy and with a very slight tint of red, with an uneven white head. The smell is a very tart cherry. The taste is mostly the wheat with the cherry tartness barely showing through except in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is average. Drinkability-wise, maybe a couple more.

Well, another one of those beers that is what it is. Not exactly great, not exactly horrible, just in the middle average. Though I'd have one again, it's not exactly something I'd hunt down.

3.74/5  rDev +19.1%

Not usually a flavored beer guy I decide to buy a six pack of this, anyway. I figured Sam Adams hasn't let me down yet, why not. It pours a very hazy orange amber with little head that recedes very quickly. The smell of cherry is very strong. It smells like a jar of maricino cheeries. The taste is also very strong in the cherry aspect. It's all I can really taste. I'm giving it a good grade because it really delivers what the name implies. But This isn't a drink I can have too often. It is a little too sweet. It's like a candy in many ways.

3.44/5  rDev +9.6%

12oz. Bottle poured into a glass.

Apperance: The head did not retain as well as i'd like. I got a quickly escaping Coors Light head out of this one. Honey gold in color in natural light and toasted honey in artificial.

Smell: By far the most impressive part of this beer would be it's nose. As soon as you pour it the head releases that great smell you got from the machino cherry jar. When I was a kid I loved drinking the juice from the machino cherry jar. i thought I was going to be in for a treat. The nose opens with sweet cherries, mild lemon and maybe some cream.

Taste: Lightly bitter, cherry, some lemon in the background, leaves you ready to drink more. Not much more than that.

Notes: start the night with your favorites, then step to the cherry wheat, your tastebuds wont be mad at you for trying to sneak on past 'em. I disagree with the cherry flavored addative. The lack of added artificial ingredients is why I love my other Sams.

3.23/5  rDev +2.9%

This one poured a cloudy golden color with a thick off white head. The smell is strong on cherry flavor with a little bit of fresh baked bread in there as well. The taste was quite unusual at first but I liked it the more I drank it. Starts out very strong in cherry flavor. Sweet at first then tarty towards the end. Wheat provides the base and is also a strong flavor. The two flavors mix well together. The finish is acidic and dry. It is also very crisp. This wasn't the most complex brew in the world, but I could definitely see myself drinking it on a hot summer day.

4.14/5  rDev +31.8%

This beer is a very mild flavored beer, with a noticeable cherry flavor. It has a cloudy wheat-like appearance and the wheat flavor is indeed also noticeable. This is one of my husband's favorite beers (and he considers it a "guilty pleasure" because it is artificially flavored.) It isn't very hoppy or malty. There are times when you want one of these, it quenches thirst well.

2.35/5  rDev -25.2%

I remember drinking this year's ago, before I was a beer geek, and thinking it was strange. After tasting it again last night, I still think it's a strange brew.

Appearance: Upon pouring it into a tall pilsner glass, a large fizzy/bubbly head formed. It's highly effervescent. The color is golden with a slight pinkish hue. Or maybe I was seeing pink only because my mind new it was flavored with cherries?

Smell/Taste: It definately had a cherry aroma, but very little "beer" scent. The best way I can describe it's flavor and mouthfeel is to say it seems very similar to diet cherry 7-Up. It wasn't at all beery, not even in that unique wheat-beer sort of way. If you were into the flavor (which I'm not) you could probably down a fair amount of these.

As it is, I'm glad I only purchased a single just so I could have the bottle for my collection. This is the only beer I've had recently that I definately will not be buying again.

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Fruity beer. Pours a nice golden yellow with very thin head. Taste is obviously cherries. This beer did nothing for me. It's harmless enough and maybe one or two would be ok butI just wouldn't buy this again.

Sam Adams has done better than this but for what it is it's ok.

Cheers

4.69/5  rDev +49.4%

OK, time to review my old stand-by, my beloved Sam Adams Cherry wheat.

Appearance: Pours a nice amber color, good head which dissipated quickly, but with a fair amount of lacing on the glass. Very clear.

Smell: Delicious fruity cherry smell, not overpowering at all, I've always thought that this is what a "fruit" beer should smell like.

Taste: Well balanced cherry taste, not medicinal at all, nice sweetness that finishes with just the right amount of bitterness. Aftertaste is hardly perceptible.

Mouthfeel: Wonderful carbonation. Nice and full body, alcohol is well masked. Not a very dry finish, a bit drier and this would have been a five as well.

Drinkability: For me, at least, off the chart. If I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it. I drink some of the other SA products, but this is what I think of when I think of beer. Outstanding. A bit more cherry up front on the taste, a bit more head, and a bit drier, and this would have been a five across the board. I truly do love this beer.

2.41/5  rDev -23.2%

Well I had high hopes for this beer, and I was very let down. It pours a very promising gold color with a nice thick white head, which went away fairly quick. The smell was decent, smelled like a typical weat or ale, with a very small cherry smell. The overall flavor was quite bland, not much of anything stood out other than the artificial cherry taste and an odd aftertaste. I dont think I would buy another 6pk of this, although i may try it on tap sometime, to see if its any better.

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

I had this previously on draft, and the bottled version seemed to have more flavor. All in all, a refreshing brew..if unspectacular. A nice appearance..light copper with a decent head. Smell was mainly a strong cherry aroma...with virtually no wheaty elements. Taste likewise was strong on cherry, but not a whole lot more...This might be an excellent alternative for cider drinkers. Medium mouthfeel. Drinkability was ok....although the overemphasis on cherry was a bit much. If you like the flavor of cherries, try it. If not, I would stay away.

2.86/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a interesting lager like yellow with a hint of red, adequate head. Actually smells like cherries, surprisingly enough. Taste is only meh. True enough, cherries are a distinct flavor along with the hops, and reasonably complex. The trouble is, for me the whole package just doesn’t do anything for me. I don’t feel the cherry taste complements the beer in any way, it just overrides it. Cheers to Sam Adams for trying an interesting brew to say the least, but nothing special here.

3.06/5  rDev -2.5%

Pale golden color with a long lasting short head and lace till the end. If you like cherries, you might like this one. A little heavy on the artifical flavoring though. The nose is full of sweet dark cherry aroma with a slight malt background. The taste is full of cherry followed by the malt. A lingering cherry aftertaste. A fun beer to drink but not one I'd drink very often. Kinda like a flavored coffee. It's okay once in awhile but it's best without all the flavorings.

3.27/5  rDev +4.1%

When poured it was a light golden yellow with very little foam. The smell of cherries was very evident along with a hint of a yeasty wheat aroma. The taste of cherries was pleasant but sort of short on the after taste and very little wheat in the finish. Not what I expected, but, it could have been worst. An average beer from Samuel Adams that I will not purchase again!

3.62/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice middle-golden color with a reddish twinge and a small, white head. Smells strongly of cherries (imagine that), which blend nicely with wheat tones in the taste as well. A touch medicinal at first taste, that character quickly fades into a nice overall flavor, softly incorporating the cherries and wheat with a nice backbone of crispness.

Not nearly as girly as I might have guessed. I'll drink this from time to time.

4.13/5  rDev +31.5%

I've had this beer several times, but I tend to slack on my reviews so I'm finally getting to this one.

Pours well with nice retention and lace, something that is a common characteristic of the Boston Beer varieties.Although refreshing, I taste cherry syrup, but the draft versions seems to be a bit more natural tasting.I think it would be more interseting if this beer was bottle conditioned and had traditional wheat characteristics.Maybe I'll try a homebrew and do it that way.

A decent, balanced beer overall.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)