Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (128) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
alohaspicoli

3.43/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Hazy orange/yellow. Creamy, off-white head that sticks around. Decent lacing.

S: Cherry aroma is dominant.

T: Again, cherry is way up front. I do get some of the wheat flavor but I had to look for it. No alcohol taste, dryness or bitterness. If you like cherry, it's actually very drinkable.

M: Lighter body. Average carbonation.

O: Not the most complex of beers but I thought it was pretty refreshing and enjoyable. Would drink again in the summer.

10-26-2011 15:12:46 | More by alohaspicoli
NuclearDolphin

3.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into a 12 oz Tumbler

Appearance - Darker Orange color with a slight tint of red. Brew is hazy but you are still able to barely see through the glass. Pours a 2 finger head that slowly disappears and leaves behind some good lacing.

Smell - The first thing that comes to mind is Cherry Pop-Tarts, which is very strong upon the first whiff. You can barely taste the wheat scent behind the Pop-Tart Smell

Taste - Sweet cherry flavor with a very slight sour and barley taste to it. Really nothing much more to add.

Mouthfeel - Body is fairly moderate and is able to strike a balance between that and the light carbonation that goes away fairly quick.

Overall - This is my first "fruity" beer that I've had and I have to say it's not too bad. Seeing previous reviews I expected this to taste like cough syrup like I had previously seen but the cherry flavor is quite tame compared to the expectations I had for this beer, but in a goof way. Pretty drinkable beer overall.

10-23-2011 03:18:57 | More by NuclearDolphin
Tee76

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

A- Your typical beer color/appearance, has a small creamy head that stays around for a few minutes. Moderate lacing

S- Cherries, Cherries and more Cherries with a hint of bready malts.

T- Carbonated cough syrup for a beer is a bad idea any day of the week. The more i drank of it, the worse it tasted.

M- medium bodied with a filmy aftertaste that just lingers.

D- Low drinkability. I had a problem finishing one, you're left debating whether to pour the rest of the unopened ones down the drain.

As far as Sam's offerings, most if not all are fantastic. Cranberry Lambic is by far their worst beer, but the cherry comes in a close second. I wouldn't seek it out again.

10-22-2011 14:08:40 | More by Tee76
gtermi

2.55/5  rDev -18.5%

My bestfriend went on a Sam Adams binge and bought this beer. I poured this beer into a glass and looked like your average beer. The smell was very nice with some cherry and some malt. The taste on the other hand was rough. It had a lot of cherry and just seemed like cherry soup to me. I cant think of anything good to say about the taste. The mouthfeel was average and overall I think this beer is below average. I just dont know what to say....

10-18-2011 06:38:42 | More by gtermi
AleWatcher

3.73/5  rDev +19.2%

Hazy orange-tinted body with a decent whitish head of a fluffy 3 fingers. Surprisingly nice lacing and decent retention. This looks REALLY solid.
Smells... Wow. Ripe cherries. Wheat malt combined with the cherry notes has a strange almond extract bite to it-- seriously, go smell a bottle of almond extract and have your mind blown.
The taste is sweet and wheaty with plenty of cherry flavor. Pretty dry finish, and almost no bitterness.
Thus far, I am surprised by my level of enjoyment. I tend to rate Sam Adams beers lower than the average, but this one will almost certainly have a positive rdev!

The body is pretty much as I'd expect, relatively light, lots of carbonation. The cherries do add a little syrupy feel.

Overall, as a fruit beer, this is a C+. As a wheat beer, this is actually a B. What can I say, I'm a sucker for fruit beers!

10-17-2011 01:20:07 | More by AleWatcher
WoodBrew

3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Local Meijer Grocery Store carrying a six of Cherry Wheat....WHAT!!! Gots to try that. The appearance is a clear light amber with reddish hues. There is a thin white head with little foam remains, with active bubbles. The smell is a robust cherry smell that is fantastic. There is a distinct Sammy A taste to every beer...this one has a cherry, wheaty malt twang. The mouthefeel is ok...I think more than one is tough due to the sweet Cherryiness to it. Overall good beer, especially for the summer.

10-15-2011 22:57:50 | More by WoodBrew
BeerNoobNC

2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a hazy yellow-orange color (pretty typical of wheat beers). The aroma is mostly cherry, with hardly any of that wheaty smell you get from wheat beers.

The cherry flavor is really overbearing in this beer. I commend Sam Adams on the try, but the typical flavors you expect in a wheat are not really there. I say this, and I'm not even the biggest fan of wheat beers.

This is definitely a unique flavor that seems very challenging to perfect, but I feel like a small down-tone of the cherry would make it almost too good. I would definitely recommend this for a unique taste, but there are definitely other "unique" brews out there that are more worth your try.

10-07-2011 01:09:07 | More by BeerNoobNC
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.7/5  rDev -13.7%

On-tap in front of many screens of (surprise!) hockey in Southgate, Michigan.

This beer appears a hazy pale golden colour with one finger of creamy white head, which renders but a few streaks of lace around the glass in its hasty wake. It smells of sweet cherry gum, and overly-sugary malt. The taste is cherry cough syrup, sweet wheat, and a bit of yeast. The carbonation is average, the body medium weight, and kind of slick, and not really all that smooth. It finishes with a sweet edgy, grainy wheatiness, and latent cherry candy saccharine overload.

It wavers kind of sickeningly between confection and medicine - after a few too many sips, I couldn't finish it.

09-22-2011 06:45:34 | More by biboergosum
kojevergas

3.18/5  rDev +1.6%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a four finger head of decent cream, good thickness, and pretty good retention. Colour is a clear yellow-gold. It's a bit generic looking, but I'm looking forward to drinking it.

Sm: Light cherry fruit ester hops and wheat. I can't say I'm shocked, but the mild strength aroma is certainly appealing.

T: Pleasant cherry ester hops ride atop a wheat foundation. It's simply built but nicely balanced, without too much or too little cherry flavour.

Mf: Smooth and a bit too wet. It's also a touch too thin.

Dr: Average ABV and easy drinkability make this well-priced beer one to try, but its lack of complexity holds it back.

09-20-2011 05:32:11 | More by kojevergas
texaschainx

2.3/5  rDev -26.5%

When i saw this beer i had to try it.I drank this straight from the bottle , but did check its color , which was a light red. The smell was good , and was acually the best part about this beer. I couldn't stop smelling it, becuase i was impressed with how "cherry" it was. Not much of a mouthfeel , a little watered down for me. Taste was great at first, because cherry's are good , but it quicky got old.Just way to sweet , no balance at all , after taste was of sweet cherrys , would have liked a tart cherry after taste.

09-20-2011 01:41:18 | More by texaschainx
milkjunkie666

4.95/5  rDev +58.1%

I'm not the most educated brewmaster or anything, but i'm very surprised at the C rating for this beer, it's probably my favorite. i drink a lot of beers, and generally agree with most reviews, for the most part, but this one is waaaay off.

Look: s like a beer
Smell: Strong cherry scent, obviously, and also some beery smells
Taste: exceptional is a fitting analysis.. this beer is great, i understand a lot of people have different tastes, but this is just really smooth with the perfect amount of cherry, not too sweet, and a nice change from the norm. great flavor, great balance, i see nothing wrong with this brew

uh.. i'm drawing a blank.. look, smell, taste... what else is there?.. oh right, mouthfeel: uh, feels bubbly and full of flavors.. in my mouth

09-03-2011 22:17:38 | More by milkjunkie666
KJay1408

Nebraska

A: I poured the bottle into a glass. The beer poured a nice Hazy Gold color, with about a finger and a half worth of head.

S: I'm getting Cherries and lots of em, no hops really, but lots o' Cherry, and its not a bad thing really.

T: Slight malt, and grain flavor with a good dose of Cherry that starts out sweet when the sip starts and ends tart. No hop flavor, but cherry tartness does a nice job of bittering the end of this brew. (It's worth noting that as the beer sits and warms up the cherry flavor becomes more tart and the malt and wheat flavors come out a little more. Making a nicer more balanced beer)

M: Not good, not terrible, but far from what I'd expect, even considering it's a wheat beer this just seems thin.

O: Not impressed, maybe I let this bottle sit too long, or maybe I didn't get the best batch, either way, either way this is a brew I didn't really enjoy. The flavors are nice and pronounced, and the cherries do an adequate job as a hop substitute, but It was one I didn't really enjoy, the flavors were rather balanced and I did enjoy the aroma, but all in all this was a pretty average beer at best.

08-26-2011 03:10:05 | More by KJay1408
chinchill

South Carolina

3.73/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle dated best by Nov. 2011; served in a pint glass.

Gold in color, and hazy. A moderate pour produced a very creamy looking 1+ finger of off-white head. The head soon settled to a thin but complete cover that lasted a good while, leaving some lace as the level decreased. Visible fine carbonation.

In short, this beer smells and tastes like it should, as a "Cherry Wheat" - both cherries and wheat/malt are clearly present in both the nose and the taste. The aroma suggests a sweeter ale, more dominated by the cherries than turns out to be the case upon tasting.

I'm not a big fan of wheat beers, on the whole, with some exceptions. This is one of those exceptions. I found the fine cherry fruit flavor, the wheat and other grains, and a bit of hops to be very well balanced and to mix nicely. The cherries make a nice contribution to the mildly bittersweet and faintly hoppy finish.

M - medium body and moderate carbonation, both well-suited to the ale; slightly dry finish.

O - an exceptional wheat beer and summer seasonal that is worth seeking out.
{re-visited in May 2014}

08-26-2011 01:37:14 | More by chinchill
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.73/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orange/amber with a thin, wispy, white head. Smells of almond paste and sweet cherries with a bit of crisp, lemony wheat in the background. Tastes sweet and quite almondy with sweet cherries following and the same lemony wheat. A hot of sweet cherry liqueur on the finish. There is a bit of tartness to check the sweetness, but no denying that this is a sweet beer. I like this a bit more than most, but I can have a sweet tooth at times.

08-21-2011 18:52:53 | More by Georgiabeer
CaptJackHarkness

4.53/5  rDev +44.7%

A guilty pleasure, this is one of my regular favorites. Think of a fermented cherry coke without the cola, add a touch of hops and a hint of whole wheat bread. Unlike many fruit beers I've tried, this gets the cherry flavor spot on!
This is one to serve to friends , family, colleauges, strangers!

08-21-2011 16:51:49 | More by CaptJackHarkness
ckollias

Maryland

3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Slighty hazy blonde-orangish brew with a thick, frothy, two-finger, white head that lingers for a bit and ends in a wispy lace.

S: Moderate fruity smells with a strong cherry backbone. Very pleasant and smoothing aroma.

T: Smooth fruity and cherry tasting beer with a mild hint of hops and a wheat overtones. Not much alcohol here, but a nice blend of the cherry, wheat, and hops.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation

O: I’m surprised this ranked so low, I thought it was rather enjoyable and refreshing. With that being said, I could only drink this once in a while. But it was nice to try something different for a change.

08-17-2011 03:11:19 | More by ckollias
caddybuyer

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A-slighly hazy golden pour with a thing white head.

S-Cherry is up front and center on this one. Rather pungent, even as cold as this is.

T-Astringent wheat backbone and the slightly tart cherry is present throughout. Dry and crisp.

M-Light and well balanced carbonation.

O-Decent summer refresher that is easily found. I found it drinkable enough to get another six.

08-14-2011 19:14:10 | More by caddybuyer
loobear

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a weizen glass.

A - Amber orange body. The top 1/3rd of the beer is slightly darker in color than the bottom 2/3rds. Poured a 1 finger head that quickly dissipated.

S - Very strong cherry scent. If you've ever tried the Haribo Twin Cherries gummy candy, it smells just like it. Lots of malts as well. It's almost too strong.

T - Tastes nothing like it smells. Cherry surfaces mostly in the finish. Very carbonated. Slight bitterness and maltiness as well. The more I drink it, the more the finish slightly bothers me. It isn't horrible, but it leaves a cough syrupy taste in my mouth.

M - Pretty refreshing. I like the carbonation level. Probably the strongest aspect of the beer.

O - If you can get past the aftertaste, this would be a nice beer to enjoy on a summer day. I found it pretty refreshing.

08-13-2011 05:09:27 | More by loobear
ZenAgnostic

2.4/5  rDev -23.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Shock Top weizen glass. Label notched best before Nov 2011, so it's still good for another 3 months.

Appearance - Cloudy yellow body. Medium white head with medium retention.

Smell - Moderately strong maraschino cherries up front. Slight undertones of wheat beer. Smells delicious. You've really got to be in the mood for it though.

Taste - Wheat front end. Corny musk body. Cherry finish... though somehow still dry. Little weird. Pretty much no sweetness. A bit of earthy musk and astringency throughout.

Mouthfeel - Very dry. Surprisingly, considering the smell. Strange astringency kills the beer for me.

Overall - Had high hopes for this beer, because I like a good sweet fruit beer once in a while. But this was just dry, astringent, and kinda weird. I can imagine it might go good with specific food pairings, but doesn't stand on its own as a straightforward beer.

08-13-2011 04:40:04 | More by ZenAgnostic
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev 0%

12oz Bottle

Appearance – Hazy amber colour with a large size fizzy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is a good amount of lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it disappeared.

Smell - Cherries, floral notes, wheat, malts

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste wheat mixed with a very sweet cherry flavour. There are also some floral notes mixed with some light malts. It finishes with a tart and sweet cherry aftertaste.

Overall – I actually kind of enjoyed my first few sips, but the taste started to become too sweet and artificial after a while. It's not undrinkable, it's just not something that I would go out of my way to have again.

08-05-2011 18:30:53 | More by spinrsx
joemcgrath27

Alberta (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Stumbled across this on tap at a Sam Adam's pub in Los Angeles Airport (from notes)
A - Very hazy straw yellow, short creamy head settled at a solid cover
S - Pungent merachino cherry odour, bready and a hint of nuttiness
T - Much like the nose with a candied smell, candy sweet, buttery bread, but a mild sense of artificial flavour
M - Bready fullness, mildish carbonation, pretty smooth and a little dry finish
O - Flavour as advertized, a pleasant summer sipper, glad I came across this by chance in an airport lounge

07-31-2011 04:16:47 | More by joemcgrath27
VelvetExtract

1.88/5  rDev -39.9%

A-Pours a light honey color. White head forms and is about a finger thick. I can tell before I tilt the glass, or take a sip, that this beer will leave lacing.

S-Smells like a cherry flavored lozenge. Just a bit whack of artificial cherry. Almost smells like medicine. I guess i could say I smell some wheat but I would possibly be lying.

T-Just not doing it for me. Cherry flavored medicine. Clings to the tongue and hangs around. I feel like I should be coughing because it tastes like I'm sucking on a cherry cough drop.

M-Light but sickly sticky. Carbonation is an afterthought. I just don't like the flavor. There is nothing that the mouthfeel can do to make this a better beer.

O/D-I flat out do not like this beer's artificial, cloying flavor. Had to try it once. I actually think I may regret it. I am not sure if I have said that before.

07-28-2011 04:36:23 | More by VelvetExtract
Bookseeb

Washington

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is a hazy orange gold with a thin crisp head leaving spotty lace. Smell has a dominant maraschino cherry aroma or even a cherry coke. Taste again of cherry coke or cherry cream soda with wheat as the backbone. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. Not bad brew if you like cherry coke.

07-24-2011 22:43:32 | More by Bookseeb
elginirishpunk

2.53/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours lightly cloudy and has a sweet and tart flavor. This is one of the better fruit veggie beers that is not overly sweet or tart. This beer maintains a smoothness and has a slight hop flavor. But definitly will not give you a great name for having street cred.

07-08-2011 03:28:02 | More by elginirishpunk
kylehay2004

3.45/5  rDev +10.2%

Single finger head quickly dissipates. Color is golden and minimal hazieness, typical wheat beer appearance.

One key point I have noticed that differed from my experience with the aroma is the cherry smell was very understated. I am wondering if it is due to my review following a beer I had on tap as >90% of these reviews are after having the beer in a bottle. The taste of cherry is certainly well apparent but not overwhelming and refreshing.

Good for summer activities.

06-28-2011 15:17:38 | More by kylehay2004
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)