Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (128) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
BearsOnAcid

1.78/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

After trying to figure out for days as to why this is in my fridge I decided to drink one to do a formal review because I have nothing else to do.

Slightly cloudy wheat color. Small white head that reduces to a collar around the beer.

Smells like Cherry 7-Up. Reminds me of the first day of summer in the 3rd grade and I went straight to the convenience store to buy one. Nevermind alcoholic energy drinks, someone should sue Sam Adams for targeting minors.

Any relation to 7-Up ends at the taste. It's buttery with a very unsatisfying bitterness in the aftertaste. Bready with a hint of hay and salt-less saltines. Reminds me of the crackers you get at communion, bland and tasteless. All of it is over powered by an artificial cherry flavor. Judging by the color, I'm guessing they use extract. Might make more sense to have a cherry beer that is actually red or reddish.

04-06-2011 23:29:11 | More by BearsOnAcid
Samadamsfan2

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

This was very disappointing for a samuel adams beer, and maybe my expectations were too high. I do feel I'm echoing other people's thoughts though, it's not a good beer. It have a terrible robitussin taste at first, though it improves as I drink it. It is a thin beer and whatever hops or wheat that was used in the brewing process is absolutely shadowed by intense cherry flavor.

04-05-2011 05:14:58 | More by Samadamsfan2
ummswimmin

2.48/5  rDev -20.8%

Had this beer to broaden my horizons. I hadn't tried many fruity beers in the past. Most of my experiences were with framboises, but I do know my wheat beers. Comes from living in Oregon and starting out with the Widmer beers.

This came from a bottle, poured into a pilsner glass at the local tavern (Cloverleaf Tavern of New Jersey, check it out).

There was a low head which dissipated almost immediately. There was a golden hue with some filtering (Captain Obvious says: not cloudy). Due to the quick drop in head, there was almost no lacing.

I took a quick sniff of the aroma, and someone dropped a case of black cherries on my head. Seriously, this is not a subtle bouquet. There was so much cherry, it smacked me in the face.

At first there was less cherry in the tasting, then it appears in the after-taste. With each swallow the taste got stronger, to the point where I almost couldn't finish.

I would probably pass on this beer if ever offered again. Not worth getting one for free.

04-03-2011 01:18:30 | More by ummswimmin
felipe2toes

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours hazy orange with thick white head. No lacing or crust.

Smells of cherry cola. Not sure if that's necessarily a good thing, but I like the smell.

Taste isn't as cherry cola-y as I expected. Some cherry notes up front, hop bitterness on the finish. Also some maltiness.

Thin mouthfeel.

04-01-2011 04:14:18 | More by felipe2toes
Knapp85

Cherry Wharton has got to be one of my 5 top Sam Adams releases. This beer is really great on it's own or as a dessert after a meal. The beer is on the lighter side, the color is golden. The head sticks around for a bit. The cherry flavor is super sweet in the beginning but trails off near the end when your taste buds are getting used to it. The aroma of this beer is wonderful. This beer is great if your just having one. If you start to have two or three back to back it starts to lose it's intensity. Very good though!

03-30-2011 19:20:30 | More by Knapp85
MikeRa

4.35/5  rDev +39%

Had from tap and served in the Boston Lager glass

A: The Sam Adams Cherry Wheat has a hazy orange color with with a 1" head

S: This beer had a excellent Michigan Cherry smell

T: This beer has the Cherry and Malted Wheat taste right upfront with excellent carbonation and a smooth cereal notes, citrus taste from the Bavarian Noble hops, and cherry aftertaste, with a hint of honey.

M: This beer goes down real smooth

Overall/Drinkability: This is a beer that I will drink again.

03-25-2011 00:54:00 | More by MikeRa
Ralphs66

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

Well, the tap SAID cherry wheat, but alas, the cherry is CHERRY and the wheat is, well, um...well, just not there. I like lambics very much, and I like fruit beers overall; but I wanted something more from this one. Looked nice (20 oz draft at Chili's) and went down as smooth as you could possibly ask for, but the cherry was a bit over the top. My daughter dipped her finger in and said "UMMM", right before she attacked the chocolate molten lave cake, so you know where her head was at and how this beer fit right into it. After a few first sips, I thought this might be a good session beer, as I was watching some March Madness, but the fruitiness might disallow this.

03-20-2011 22:30:48 | More by Ralphs66
JerseyKirk

3.43/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Pours a very light pale to straw color. Good 2 finger pearl white head. Only slight consistent carbonation. Looks great.

S: Very potent cherry smell. IBut this is a touch medicinal for me. I'm a fan of fruit infused beers that have such a strong fruit aroma. If I gave this to someone and told them to smell it without telling them what it was, they would definitely pickup the cherry notes first and foremost. The hops notes are supremely diminished which I personally like for this type of beer. BUT I couldn't imagine wanting all beers to smell like this all the time.

T: Wheat right upfront with a nice carbonation and a great smooth wheat and cherry aftertaste. It's exactly what I would look for in a fruit flavored beer. Little bit of a bite before the end. Alcohol isn't present. Great.

M: Definitely thin but the carbonation gives it a little bit more body which I like.

D: I would definitely buy this again if I was in the mood for a cherry beer. This is a once in awhile specialty though. I couldn't drink more than one in a day though because they are just so overwhelmingly cherry and your taste buds just get overworked.

03-14-2011 16:33:25 | More by JerseyKirk
metter98

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head.
S: Aromas of cherries prominently stand out in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste is dominated by flavors of cherries, although there are some hints of wheat that prevent it from tasting like cough syrup.
M: It feels light-bodied and a bit watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is easy to drink but there's no way that I would have more than one of these at a time because the smell and taste are both one-dimensional.

03-12-2011 23:53:58 | More by metter98
KajII

2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

[Best served in a Flute Glass]

Poured amber-orange in color with a small fizzy head that dissapated rapidly with nice lacing. The aroma was overwhelming with cherries and a hint of sweet yeast. It tasted sweet with a very strong cherry flavor. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture. Overall nothing special, nice on a hot summer day.

03-10-2011 16:49:48 | More by KajII
bierschmecktgut

2.3/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured a hazy amber gold with nice high white head but fell to nothing - not like other wheats that keep a decent strip.

A punch in the nose of cherry cough drops, not an earthy fruity cherry aroma I would expect. Bready malt is stirred up after a few swirls. No hop aromas that I can detect.

The cherry flavor is fairly subtle the first few sips - a sweetness of malt is up front and a pretty tasty bready/wheat flavor finishes up but the after taste and taste on the back of the nose/throat definitely remind me of cough syrup - a memory that does take away from the possibility of this beer.

a thin to medium body that goes down pretty smooth, but not as creamy as a real wheat beer. Carbonation is adequate for the style.

Unfortunately this wasn't what I would expect for a cherry wheat - maybe just a hint of cherry would tone it down and bring more of a wheat taste overall.

03-08-2011 00:37:27 | More by bierschmecktgut
mattjv

Connecticut

2.15/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Shared a pitcher of this with great company over brick oven pizza.

Appearance is typical for a wheat beer, cloudy with copper color. Smells good enough, light wheat malt in front followed by huge cherry presence.

Taste is where this brew took a turn for the worse. Light malty palate smooth from the wheat, quickly crushed by an overwhelming, cloying, sickeningly sweet cherry presence. The cherry flavor is one-dimensional and tastes completely artificial. A cherry flavored candy or cherry cough medicine is what this reminds me of, not actual cherries. The body was refreshing but drinkability was non existent, every sip made me cringe.

I realize that fruit beers seem to be a very polarizing style. I enjoy them, but not with a flavor this overwhelming. I could barely stomach a glass but if you prefer a fruit beer with intense, in your face flavor this may be right up your alley.

03-07-2011 04:50:52 | More by mattjv
Mattyssox

3.95/5  rDev +26.2%

Poured bottle into a pint glass. Nice amber color, showing obvious signs of a fruit beer. Sweet smell, but not over the top. Head fizzles down quick. A real easy drinking beer, that seems to lack the carbonation of most beers. Pretty good out of a bottle, but better off a tap. This is a beer that goes well with a salty snack (wings or pizza). Easy to drink a few.

03-05-2011 23:50:29 | More by Mattyssox
jsprain1

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

A- pours a pretty clear golden. Slightly orange. Lacing is sound, retention is so so.
S- Smell is pretty much entirely cherry syrup. I suppose there is a little bit of wheat malt.
T- Starts with a bit of wheat, becomes intensely cherry flavor. Finish has a bit of metallic twinge to it. That metallic nature is bringing it down.
M- Low carbed, pretty smooth, moderate body.
D-Too one diminesional with the cherry. That really brings it down.

03-05-2011 06:10:42 | More by jsprain1
IchabodcraneIpa

The smell of this one was of maraschino cherries and the taste followed closely to the smell. This fruit beer actually does not have that intense of a fruity flavor and it is more of a subtle cherry hint that surfaces after the Initial wheat flavor. The drinkability of this one is decent for a fruity beer and I can actually see myself drinking a whole case in one sitting. The mouth feel is also a nice cool refresher of a feel.

All in all this is one of the better fruit beers I have tried, and I usually pick up a case of these on a nice hot summer day.

02-28-2011 10:15:30 | More by IchabodcraneIpa
zrab11

Indiana

3.73/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a crisp clean yellow color

S-Has a very stong cherry smell

T-Tastes like eating a jar of cerries

M-light bodied with good carbonation

D-This is very drinkable if you love cherries. I like cheeries but don't love them. With this had alittle more boozey flavor. Overall a good beer but too much cheerieness

02-26-2011 18:13:12 | More by zrab11
devinoconnor

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat is a good summertime beer.

Pours a bright golden color.

Smell is what's advertised: cherries.

Although there's an abundant amount of cherries involved, the beer is well-balanced. The cherry flavoring doesn't take over the beer.

Nice drinking beer with a steak on the grill.

02-22-2011 19:33:22 | More by devinoconnor
ForWhatAlesYou

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass
(Note: My initial ratings and my final rating are very different with this beer. On first reaction, I really liked many elements of this one but as I continued to taste and observe I liked it a whole lot less. My final ratings are somewhere between the two)

A: Very slightly cloudy (chill haze which goes away). Amber-orange. Nice color. Pours a huge bready head and leaves spotty lace.

S: The fresh cherry smell is huge. Smells like cherry ice cream, malt, and fresh Rainier cherries. A little wheat lingers.

T: Here is where the confusion starts...On the first few tastes the cherry aroma brings the initial punch but is quickly rounded out by a tangy wheat with a light bitter. BUT as you go down the glass it begins to taste a lot like cherry flavored cough medicine.

M: Carbonation level is nice vehicle for this otherwise ultra-smooth textured beer. A little chewy.

D: Hmmm...again, at first it was very enjoyable but there is definitely something in the aftertaste I am not ecstatic about. Good, I think but not something I'd go after again or drink more than one of at a time.

02-21-2011 18:36:50 | More by ForWhatAlesYou
nhindian

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams Red Lobster Perfect Pint glass.

A - Pours a light straw color, a bit lighter than some typical wheat beers. On top of the beer a 2-fingered pillow of head gently rests, with moderate retention. A slow, steady stream of carbonation rushes to replenish the head in vain, and as the head dwindles, it takes most of the lacing with it, only leaving a few scattered globs. Almost completely clear as well, which was surprising given the name.

S - The smell really does exude a ton of cherries, but in a candied type of way, not tart or sour at all. The first impression I get is cherry-flavored Fun Dip, almost medicinal. After the cherry subsides, there's a hefty grain bill chock full of cereal and biscuit that really balances it.

T - The taste starts with a rush of sugary cherry and honey before quickly being replaced by the aforementioned malts and grain. The sweetness from the cherries and honey linger and are present in the finish, but for the most part this is almost all grain. The wheat is almost completely absent as I can't really place any wheat characteristics besides ... the grain.

M - Mouthfeel is light-bodied with good carbonation. The finish is moderately long and full of sweet cherries.

D - Drinkability is moderate. For how light this beer is, it is actually pretty filling and it took me a while to finish. The cherry flavor is refreshing at the start but turns a bit for the worse as it warms.

02-20-2011 05:52:53 | More by nhindian
brunrn1

3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

I tried this beer with high expections considering it is sam adams.
I was unable to finish a six pack because it became to filling and the taste becomes overwhelming to me.
It is probably the amount of (cherry wheat flavoring ) that is in the beer. If it was a bit lighter then it might be improved.

02-18-2011 15:13:36 | More by brunrn1
Metalmonk

2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a cloudy peachy color, and yes, I did shake it a little. It's a wheat beer, you can do that. Vibrant color despite the fog/haze/cloud. Nice. The head is snow white and half an inch thick.

Glad I like cherry...love it actually...because the nose is all sour cherry, in a very good way. Yet, it covers up any other beer-like aromas that may be waiting to bust through. It's like I'm smelling a big piece of fresh cherry taffy instead. Hard to dislike though.

Unfortunately does not taste as good as it smells. Cherry is here, but smothered by an awful plastic character, chased by a medicinal component. Wheat is detected, but it's dead on arrival -- kinda flat and kinda stale, wheat-wise. Some other fruit tastes come in, a little bit of banana, pear and peach, but they're faint. It's more like a poor-tasting soda pop than a beer. Wouldn't even get a good taste score on Soda Advocate. Can't really get much out of this beer, taste-wise. Kind of a directionless mess.

Soda-like in texture too, very bright, very effervescent, very tingly...a little much.

Despite the gripes, it's drinkable enough for me, as I like cherry and I feel like the cherry here is natural-tasting enough. It's the other traits that bother me. This really drinks more like a soda than beer.

02-16-2011 22:20:09 | More by Metalmonk
zackmoney

3.65/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Served in a glass (out of a bottle/6 pack)

A: Light amber, (mostly) clear, average looking

S: You can smell the cherries in the aroma, but not too much else

T: Tastes like a light beer with cherry flavoring, a bit underwhelming in general but an average fruit flavored beer

M: very light mouthful, decent for the style

D: this is a beer, however, that you could drink multiple of in one sitting, only ~5% ABV and the beer goes down easy

Overall not one of the favorite offerings from Sam Adams, but a decent beer that I come back to every now and then when looking for a fruity beer

02-15-2011 02:19:50 | More by zackmoney
womencantsail

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

A: The beer pours an amber color with a short lived off-white head to go with it.

S: Smells like cherries, big time cherries. It's pretty much like a jar of maraschino cherries, but it's enjoyable. The more I smell it, the better I like the cherry character that's there. Not really much else going on in terms of the aroma.

T: The cherry flavor is nowhere near as prominent as the cherry aroma, but it is there. There is a surprising creaminess and an almost vanilla flavor. Sweet wheat and bread are actually noticeable on the palate.

M: Medium in body with a moderate level of carbonation that is nice and smooth.

D: I guess I wouldn't be pounding down a 12 pack of this, but it's not a bad beer to have once every so often.

02-13-2011 23:38:03 | More by womencantsail
CuriousMonk

2.78/5  rDev -11.2%

From random notes: Pours a slightly hazy dark golden with a small but lasting white head that leaves some lacing. Aroma of cherry cough syrup and light notes of wheat. Taste is the same as aroma. Medium thin mouthfeel with a mild amount of bitterness. Like drinking watered down cherry cough syrup. Not a good beer for me.

02-09-2011 22:49:49 | More by CuriousMonk
dali27

3.65/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Wispy, fizzy head, that continues to stick around due to the active carbonation. Light amber in color. Not quite as hazy as I would expect a wheat beer to be.

S: SWEET! Cherries and more cherries. But not like a real cherry scent, it is too sweet smelling for that. Almost like an imitation cherry flavor. Nonetheless, if you like cherries you will like the way this beer smells.

T: As expected, more cherry, but the taste is the first time that I actually detect that this is a beer. I couldn't smell anything beer-like, but with the first taste I tasted cherry up front, followed by just the right amount of wheaty maltiness to bring this beer back to reality.

M: Nice carbonation. Clean feeling.

D: I really like this beer, and it is easy to drink. That being said I normally don't drink more than one these at a time. I think the sweetness can be a bit too much.

This was my last Cherry Wheat left, and probably will be the last one that I'll have for quite a while. This has been a beer that I have almost always kept on hand, however I think that there are probably better options out there. While I won't be buying anymore in the near future, I certainly wouldn't pass one up if it were available.

02-05-2011 03:45:28 | More by dali27
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)