Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orange/amber with a thin, wispy, white head. Smells of almond paste and sweet cherries with a bit of crisp, lemony wheat in the background. Tastes sweet and quite almondy with sweet cherries following and the same lemony wheat. A hot of sweet cherry liqueur on the finish. There is a bit of tartness to check the sweetness, but no denying that this is a sweet beer. I like this a bit more than most, but I can have a sweet tooth at times.

Georgiabeer, Aug 21, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +44.7%

A guilty pleasure, this is one of my regular favorites. Think of a fermented cherry coke without the cola, add a touch of hops and a hint of whole wheat bread. Unlike many fruit beers I've tried, this gets the cherry flavor spot on!
This is one to serve to friends , family, colleauges, strangers!

CaptJackHarkness, Aug 21, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Slighty hazy blonde-orangish brew with a thick, frothy, two-finger, white head that lingers for a bit and ends in a wispy lace.

S: Moderate fruity smells with a strong cherry backbone. Very pleasant and smoothing aroma.

T: Smooth fruity and cherry tasting beer with a mild hint of hops and a wheat overtones. Not much alcohol here, but a nice blend of the cherry, wheat, and hops.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation

O: I’m surprised this ranked so low, I thought it was rather enjoyable and refreshing. With that being said, I could only drink this once in a while. But it was nice to try something different for a change.

ckollias, Aug 17, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A-slighly hazy golden pour with a thing white head.

S-Cherry is up front and center on this one. Rather pungent, even as cold as this is.

T-Astringent wheat backbone and the slightly tart cherry is present throughout. Dry and crisp.

M-Light and well balanced carbonation.

O-Decent summer refresher that is easily found. I found it drinkable enough to get another six.

caddybuyer, Aug 14, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a weizen glass.

A - Amber orange body. The top 1/3rd of the beer is slightly darker in color than the bottom 2/3rds. Poured a 1 finger head that quickly dissipated.

S - Very strong cherry scent. If you've ever tried the Haribo Twin Cherries gummy candy, it smells just like it. Lots of malts as well. It's almost too strong.

T - Tastes nothing like it smells. Cherry surfaces mostly in the finish. Very carbonated. Slight bitterness and maltiness as well. The more I drink it, the more the finish slightly bothers me. It isn't horrible, but it leaves a cough syrupy taste in my mouth.

M - Pretty refreshing. I like the carbonation level. Probably the strongest aspect of the beer.

O - If you can get past the aftertaste, this would be a nice beer to enjoy on a summer day. I found it pretty refreshing.

loobear, Aug 13, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -23.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Shock Top weizen glass. Label notched best before Nov 2011, so it's still good for another 3 months.

Appearance - Cloudy yellow body. Medium white head with medium retention.

Smell - Moderately strong maraschino cherries up front. Slight undertones of wheat beer. Smells delicious. You've really got to be in the mood for it though.

Taste - Wheat front end. Corny musk body. Cherry finish... though somehow still dry. Little weird. Pretty much no sweetness. A bit of earthy musk and astringency throughout.

Mouthfeel - Very dry. Surprisingly, considering the smell. Strange astringency kills the beer for me.

Overall - Had high hopes for this beer, because I like a good sweet fruit beer once in a while. But this was just dry, astringent, and kinda weird. I can imagine it might go good with specific food pairings, but doesn't stand on its own as a straightforward beer.

ZenAgnostic, Aug 13, 2011
3.13/5  rDev 0%

12oz Bottle

Appearance – Hazy amber colour with a large size fizzy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is a good amount of lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it disappeared.

Smell - Cherries, floral notes, wheat, malts

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste wheat mixed with a very sweet cherry flavour. There are also some floral notes mixed with some light malts. It finishes with a tart and sweet cherry aftertaste.

Overall – I actually kind of enjoyed my first few sips, but the taste started to become too sweet and artificial after a while. It's not undrinkable, it's just not something that I would go out of my way to have again.

spinrsx, Aug 05, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Stumbled across this on tap at a Sam Adam's pub in Los Angeles Airport (from notes)
A - Very hazy straw yellow, short creamy head settled at a solid cover
S - Pungent merachino cherry odour, bready and a hint of nuttiness
T - Much like the nose with a candied smell, candy sweet, buttery bread, but a mild sense of artificial flavour
M - Bready fullness, mildish carbonation, pretty smooth and a little dry finish
O - Flavour as advertized, a pleasant summer sipper, glad I came across this by chance in an airport lounge

joemcgrath27, Jul 31, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -39.9%

A-Pours a light honey color. White head forms and is about a finger thick. I can tell before I tilt the glass, or take a sip, that this beer will leave lacing.

S-Smells like a cherry flavored lozenge. Just a bit whack of artificial cherry. Almost smells like medicine. I guess i could say I smell some wheat but I would possibly be lying.

T-Just not doing it for me. Cherry flavored medicine. Clings to the tongue and hangs around. I feel like I should be coughing because it tastes like I'm sucking on a cherry cough drop.

M-Light but sickly sticky. Carbonation is an afterthought. I just don't like the flavor. There is nothing that the mouthfeel can do to make this a better beer.

O/D-I flat out do not like this beer's artificial, cloying flavor. Had to try it once. I actually think I may regret it. I am not sure if I have said that before.

VelvetExtract, Jul 28, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is a hazy orange gold with a thin crisp head leaving spotty lace. Smell has a dominant maraschino cherry aroma or even a cherry coke. Taste again of cherry coke or cherry cream soda with wheat as the backbone. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. Not bad brew if you like cherry coke.

Bookseeb, Jul 24, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours lightly cloudy and has a sweet and tart flavor. This is one of the better fruit veggie beers that is not overly sweet or tart. This beer maintains a smoothness and has a slight hop flavor. But definitly will not give you a great name for having street cred.

elginirishpunk, Jul 08, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +10.2%

Single finger head quickly dissipates. Color is golden and minimal hazieness, typical wheat beer appearance.

One key point I have noticed that differed from my experience with the aroma is the cherry smell was very understated. I am wondering if it is due to my review following a beer I had on tap as >90% of these reviews are after having the beer in a bottle. The taste of cherry is certainly well apparent but not overwhelming and refreshing.

Good for summer activities.

kylehay2004, Jun 28, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle served in a SA "perfect pint" glass.

pours a translucent golden tone while yielding a 2" foamy head that quickly lapses into a collar around the glass; no real lacing to speak of.

unsurprisingly, the nose comes out of the blocks with a good dose of cherry, joined by some secondary wheaty notes.

taste delivers more of the same. strong cherry presence through and through, which is blended with a background wheaty, light maltiness.

medium bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall, this beer catches a lot of flak, but to me it's a reasonably enjoyable fruit beer. maybe i'm biased from cherry wheat being an old favorite, and while i wouldn't drink more than one or two in a sitting, i find it relatively tasty and refreshing - a decent summer brew.

perrymarcus, Jun 20, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +19.8%

Found in a mix a six section to finally get this review monkey off my back. Used to buy this all the time for summer BBQs right after graduating from college but haven't had in some time.

Pours a translucent light amber with reddish hues. Not sure I've ever put this in glass before. Little foam remains, with active bubbles.

Robust cherry smell that is fantastic.

Taste is almost all cherry, wheaty malt underneath. Mild hop close. Odd taste finishes.

Overall good beer, especially for the summer.

KTCamm, Jun 19, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +7%

First had: bottle at a friend's house

Pours a clear bronzed yellow with a finger of delicate white bubbles for a head, which dissipates quickly. Scent of bitterness and maraschino cherries. Wheat and more cherries in the taste, with a touch of honey. Cherries aren't too overpowering. Can be a tad harsh and acidic, but overall not too bad. Light-medium mouthfeel, and fairly drinkable.

Rifugium, Jun 15, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -17.6%

A: Pours a pale yellow color with a decent head that stays around a while.

S: The smell is totally dominated by a candied cherry aroma with just a hint malt.

T: Overly sweet cherry flavor reminiscent of cough syrup. Almost no other flavor is noticeable.

O: I had this beer about ten years ago and remember not liking it then, looks like my tastes haven't changed.

rebel1771, Jun 15, 2011
3.15/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Weizen glass. Best by notch on side of bottle safely 4 months away.

A: Pours a hazy dark yellow/golden color with light carbonation. Fluffy white head about 1 1/2 fingers.

S: Cherries dominate, but not overpowering. Wheat malt and tangy yeast in the background.

T: Cherries again. Pale wheat flavor is slight. Hops are really difficult to detect, but there is a slight bitterness way in the background.

M: Moderate for a pale wheat, carbonation is light to medium, aftertaste almost nonexistent.

O: This served as a gateway craft brew for me a few years ago and it was nice to revisit. Don't understand why so many hate on the cherry flavors in CHERRY wheat. I didn't think the problem is authenticity so much as the lack of balance makes the cherries overpowering and extract-like. Average beer recommended for sessions or begginners.

videofrog, Jun 12, 2011
1.2/5  rDev -61.7%

I had high hopes for this beer. I have tasted other "flavored" beers in the past with alright to good outcomes. However this beer was undrinkable to me.

It tasted like cherry cough syrup mixed with wheat beer. Very artificial taste and smell. I bought a 6 pack because of the relatively cheap price and was looking to try something new. I had to end up giving the rest to a friend who had a similar reaction. I found it to be under-carbonated and syrupy, not pleasant at all and I certainly will not be purchasing again.

Very disappointed with Boston Brewing comp.

OregonLightning, Jun 08, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -33.5%

pours a hazy yellow with orange undertones, half finger of quickly disappearing white head. spotted lacing.

smell: like those chinese cherry candies. very syrupy, sticky and overpowering.

taste: fuckin disaster. twizzlers meets cherry candy meets something.

mouthfeel: its like eating jolly ranchers till you die.

northaustin, Jun 05, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -16%

This was not good. It poured a cloudy pale yellow. Smelled vaguely of wheat, no cherry scent. It tasted manufactured, artificial. Not the worst I have had, but this one needs to be worked on. Mouthfeel was grainy? not the best. Overall, one should expect more from Jim.

gskitt, May 27, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -13.7%

A:Very pale amber ale. Has a three inch head with little retention and lace. No carbonation is visible

S: Cherry smell sticks out but isn’t over powering to the nostrils. It does however overpower the other ingredients such as the hops which are not detectable at all

T:Has a very sweet cherry taste all the way through, with a hint of honey mixed in. Also has a very dry taste that

M:Very thin feel, very large amount of carbonation and dry finish. Goes down very quick and easy giving this beer a high drinkability.

O:This beer has good color and aroma but lacks the impressionable taste and feel to go with it making this beer good if you liked flavored beers but nothing special to try if you don’t.

tjacobs610, May 27, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -8%

12oz bottle (best by 05/2011) poured into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Pale amber - clear- head dissipated very fast leaving practically no foam at all. No lacing either.

Smell: Cherry smell strong but not overpowering. Indeed, there is a Michigan cherry smell to this - reminds me of the cherries available in the stands near Traverse city in the summer. But...that cherry smell is the only smell here. It reminds me a bit of a soda in a way - malts and hops are completely missing here - just the cherry smell. So knowing it for what it is - I like the cherry smell, but if this was handed to me and had to guess it was a beer by smell, I never would have guessed. I would have guessed some sort of soda or cherry sparkling water.

Taste: Sweet but not cloying cherry, and that's it. No wheat flavors, and really can't call it much of a beer. I would almost, almost, call it something more akin to a malt beverage "wine cooler" than a beer. I like cherry just fine, but I wanted a beer with more to it.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy in carbonation, again has a soda-like feel but thickness not as sticky as a soda. Sticks to the teeth a bit.

Overall / Drinkability: No, I don't see myself having this again. Too much like a cherry, um..., well, it's not a beer. I can't put my finger on it exactly. It sort of looks like one, but doesn't smell, taste, or feel like one. A weird beer and I'm not sure that I like it. I'll stick to cherry flavor well blended into a Belgian or into a cobbler or pie - not as this beer. Oh well - not everything can be great.

damndirtyape, May 25, 2011
3.15/5  rDev +0.6%

An old favorite I haven't touched in a year. Interested in how it rates against my more experienced pallet.
A. Aggressive pour finds me with a finger and a half of head. This dissipates down to under a half finger that stays throughout and ok lacing. The beer is a shade darker than gold, actually decent looking.

S. I smell maraschino cherries, possibly some other type of jarred or preserved cherries. Not necessarily offensive, but off-putting in its manufacturedness. Has a vaguely wheaty edge to it.

T. The taste is wheat beer tinged with maraschino cherries. The wheat beer base flavor is a weak but decent one, but the fact that the cherries taste processed or preserved detracts from it.

M. Mouthfeel is slightly more complex than a mass produced pilsner. Heavy carbonation and a light body make it refreshing and easy going. Definitely drinks quickly.

O. Overall I am no longer as interested in this beer as I have been in the past. It's rather light and the flavor slips away as quickly as you can swallow it, leaving no real impressive aftertaste. Would make a decent session ale if the cherry flavor were more authentic and the ABV went down one point. As it is, it can be enjoyed in multitude on a hot day if you're not overly discerning with your taste and you have a decent tolerance.

CFHMagnet, May 22, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

As long as you can get passed the cherry cough syrup nose, grab one of these, pour it into a hefe glass and hop in the shower. Not a bad way to start your day...maybe it's just the 15 hour trek from Europe to NYC yesterday, but it really was a decent beer.

A little too cherry and quite filtered, but it's worth a shot...seriously, it was immensely quafable while taking a hot shower!

pixieskid, May 18, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -16%

A - Pours with two fingers of white head on a clear, copper colored body. The foam settles relatively quickly and leaves nice rings of lace.

S - Medicinal cherry and bready malt in the background. It smells like an awful cherry creme filled chocolate candy; the one that you really wish you hadn't picked out of the box.

T - Sweet malt and strong, syrupy cherry flavors wash across the palate up front. More of the same in the middle. Things really don't change up much by the finish with a weird, syrupy cough syrup finish and some honey that lingers on the palate.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Well, it tastes like cherry, but it thoroughly proves that such a flavor does not have to be a good thing. It seems like a generic American wheat beer with cough syrup added for depth. It tastes very medicinal and the phenolic cherry is impossible to ignore. Just bad, I can't imagine why they would keep brewing this... really.

nickfl, May 18, 2011
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)