Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (128) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
stockingcpl

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: Huge head, golden color, plentiful lacing, faint cloudiness. The presentation is acceptable.

Smell: Ok...it's named Cherry Wheat. Well...Black Cherry maybe should be the name. The aroma was not overly sweet. There was a slight toasty presence. Bready would be another adjective. All this surrounded by a strong black cherry aroma. Not much zing. On the surface, this is a "chick beer". I can say that being a brew chick. ;-)

Taste: Black Cherry with light maltiness. I believe I could detect some Cascade hops. Aromatic rather than high alpha hops. This would be in line with the poor hops harvest this last year. The flavor peaked rather quickly and faded quick with very little sustain. Flavor is best described as "interesting but not impressive."

Mouthfeel: High carbonation tingles the tongue, but flavor comes across a little acidic. Something just isn't right about this brew.

Drinkability: I would rate this as fairly low due to the fact that this just doesn't strike me as being beer. It's almost a malty mead.

Conclusions: Interesting but not impressive. I purchased this as a single beer in a "make your own 6-pack" carry out. I'm glad I only selected one of these. This would be a good spring beer, but it would not be acceptable for serving to guests. Keep this one for yourself, and even then only if you want to experience this friuty drink.

Prosit!
Nikki

11-27-2008 02:53:48 | More by stockingcpl
germanbeer1

Maine

3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Before trying this particular brew from Sam Adams I had never tried anything cherry-based in flavor. This beer has an incredible aroma which instantly brings to mind cherries and a golden body. It's certainly worth trying however, the cherry flavor was complimented by only a slight amount of malts. Therefore, it was incredibly sweet and taste like a juice more than anything else. Nevertheless, still a decent and interesting beer.

11-25-2008 01:21:28 | More by germanbeer1
angelmonster

Colorado

2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a giant white head with high carbonation. Golden in color, retention is great through out whole glass with some lacing .

Smells of very sweet cherries and also some light malts

Tastes very sweet cherry flavor. First thing that came to my mind was that this beer tastes similar to a tootsie pop or some other cherry flavored candy. Faint malts are also present but practically no hops can be tasted. Very watery also.

Beer was carbonated, smooth, light taste going down, but it was really watery.

This wheat beer is a little too sweet to drink on a regular occasion, would have like to taste more malts. It was too light , almost lighter than a light beer, very watery. Could drink many at a time, but i dont really have a reason to as the flavors weren't very good

11-22-2008 08:48:37 | More by angelmonster
seedsofchaos

3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Pours a honey gold with a one finger head that disappears with a quickness. Lacing leaves much to be desired. Color is inviting though...

S: Great smell. Cherries. Oatmeal. Reminds me of actually eating fresh oatmeal as a kid with cherry preserves in it. Fantastic in my opinion... Though the roomie said it almost reminded him of an old ladies perfume. (lol)

T: Smooth... a tinge of cherries and a super light beer taste... Not much going on here...

MF: Light and airy. Too airy. Super light. This has a less dense feel than even water, in my opinion. Could slam these with no problems.

D: I suppose this would, at least, make a good session beer... but only if you weren't worried too much with taste. Smell on this wheat is the best thing it has going for it. Average.

11-20-2008 00:03:03 | More by seedsofchaos
davexisxrabid

3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured a bottle of this brew into a pint glass. Had a nice dark amber color with a finger-sized head that fizzled down after a while. There was very little lacing on the glass during the drinking.

The aroma was all sweet, fermented cherries. I couldn't detect the wheat or anything else. Very pleasant, but it can be a tad overpowering.

There was a light, sweet flavor, definitely reminiscent of cherries. Couldn't taste any hop bitterness in it. Almost tasted like a light beer.

This brew was pretty light bodied and left a sweet tinge on your tounge.

Definitely drinkable because its so easy going down, but it might be a little too sweet after the first or second. Other than that, I wouldn't mind if this beer spilled in my car (if my upholstery was cloth) because I'm sure it would smell great. Not that I condone drinking and driving, you might spill yer drink.

11-17-2008 23:58:02 | More by davexisxrabid
tadowdaddy

2.63/5  rDev -16%

A- Rust colored, a bit cloudy, with little to no head and no lacing.

S- Nothing but cherries.

T- Not bad if you like cherries, more of a ladies beer. Definitely not my cup of tea. Very overwhelming cherry taste. Does not have a wheat taste to it at all.

M- My mouth was overwhelmed with cherries (shocker). Taste does not stick around thankfully.

D- I can't even finish this cherry bomb. Way too sweet. Oh well.. figured I'd give one of them a try since it was all that was left in my girlfriend's refrigerator.

Too bad I drank the Founders that I had in there as fast as I did and that I had to resort to this..

11-13-2008 03:59:59 | More by tadowdaddy
kinger

2.73/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Strong supporter of Sammy's products but this isn't my cup of tea. Pleasant sweet aroma the cherry is nice to the nose. Tacky feel, finish is alright. Flavor is a lost cause for me. The beer has enough malt character but the cherry just seems forced and unnatural. Slightly overdone perhaps, but I prefer cherries in darker beers. Solid effort and the ladies seem to dig it so it's not a bad beer, just isn't my style.

11-11-2008 03:11:12 | More by kinger
dippy

2.78/5  rDev -11.2%

I want to preface this by saying that I like Sam Adams.

This Beer is horrible. I haver friends that love it. I can't stand it. Perhaps if I have a cough I will drink it again. It tastes like cough syrup. It is not subtle cherry. It is tart/sweet/cherry death.

This is a good beer for highschool girls (I am not saying that underage girls should drink)so that they can learn to enjoy better beer.

This is obviously a popular beer for Sam Adams but I am not feeling it. Sorry Jim.

11-10-2008 19:27:58 | More by dippy
yelterdow

4.63/5  rDev +47.9%

Served in a pint glass at just over fridge temperature, with a "drink by" date of February 2009.

Appearance- Pale straw gold, this beer pours without much fanfare... with a gentle swirl of the last few ounces in the bottle, we get a small amount of wheat malt in suspension. The white foamy cap settles around two fingers for awhile, then it reduces to a quarter inch. Lacing starts moments later and sticks in long, horizontal stretches inside the glass.

Smell- Gigantic aroma of Michigan cherries, so incredibly dense and full that it would be easy to proclaim its over-dominance... however, I am enamored by its supernatural presence. It's all cherries, all the time... but so clean and fruity it's ridiculous.

Taste- I'm noticing something now that really commands props, and it's the wonderful bready, smooth finish. The palate offers a generous helping of cherries, fresher than I could have ever imagined... then comes the doughy, light conclusion. So good.

Mouthfeel/Drinkablity- One surprise after another, this beer is dazzling the hell out of me. Sharp and quick immediately upon entering the mouth, it turns seafoamy and slick within seconds and becomes liquid velvet for the remainder of its short time there. Although I probably wouldn't drink more than one or two at a sitting, for intense flavor reasons only, this is stunningly enjoyable and **way** better than I remember from years ago.

11-09-2008 05:02:13 | More by yelterdow
Atron67

Wisconsin

A- slightly chill hazed, and a nice thick head on top that had sticky lacings down the glass.

S- very heavy cherry scented, the malt is hidden underneath.

T- light malty character, but after that the cherrries take over.

M- lightly carbonated and smooth lingering cherry aftertaste

D- its alright, this bottle was a couple months old and i think it made it much better. still not a great beer, but its pretty good.

11-09-2008 01:45:12 | More by Atron67
tzieser

Arizona

3.08/5  rDev -1.6%

I used to like these brews, but over the years I can't help but hate it. It has a slightly couldy appearance, strong sents of cherry and undetones of wheat. It's very sweet, almost tastes like a cheap hefeweizen with cherry syrup in it. I think the cherry syrup taste ruined this one, it definitely needs to be toned down. If you're looking for a good fruit beer go for a Magic Hat #9 or something.

11-04-2008 16:21:02 | More by tzieser
clayrock81

3.15/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a reddish light brown body with a thick, frothy head that takes awhile to go down. Some sweetness in the smell and minor hops, but the cherry is predominant. A smooth, somewhat hoppy beer but the cherry overrides everything. Not only is this medium-bodied beer out of balance but the cherry taste is sharp and cutting; reminded me of cherry 7Up. It isn't a bad beer and it tickled my sweet tooth, but I really couldn't stand it that much and one was enough for me.

11-02-2008 00:13:19 | More by clayrock81
edbeer

Rhode Island

I liked this beer when I first tried it I ultimately grew tired of it after a few years. Now I can raise a glass and fully appreciate the beer for what it is. Although, now I wish that this beer was a little less filtered and closer to a "Hefe". Overall a good drinkable beer with a slight cherry taste towards the finish.

10-22-2008 22:13:44 | More by edbeer
HarleyGirl

2.78/5  rDev -11.2%

Ok, my first review so here it goes...bought the Cherry Wheat at the only place in town that carries microbrew beers.

A-Really pretty golden color when poured into the glass. About an inch or so of head. Looked really pretty in the glass.

S-STRONG smell of sweet cherries. Really got my hopes up on the intoxicating smell.

T-I could definitely taste the cherries in the beer, but to me it masked everything else, making it taste like tangy cough syrup beer. Made me want to cry slightly.

M-Wasn't too watery, but definitely was a lighter mouthfeel to me. I would say just about average.

D-To me, I couldn't get past a few sips of this beer. In this case, the smell was better than the taste. Hubby's drinking the rest.

10-11-2008 13:34:27 | More by HarleyGirl
Silenus89

3.1/5  rDev -1%

Poured to pint glass. Golden color with red highlights with two finger head.

S. Smelled grainy wheat and cherries

T. First a malt sweetness then a cherry finish

MF. Good carbonation a crisp taste

D. Couldnt have more than one of these to sweet for me ill pass on another

10-09-2008 05:54:56 | More by Silenus89
Berticus

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

WOW. imagine cherry cola with hops.
This stuff is so potent its almost ridiculous, I bought it thinking it would have a subtle flavor and i was mistaken.
If your looking for something fruity that would seem manly its this beer.
It looks and feels like a wheat should but damn its sweet.

10-04-2008 02:28:18 | More by Berticus
oriolesfan4

Maryland

3.85/5  rDev +23%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer seems to get a lot of hate on this website but I absolutely love it. The cherry taste seems genuine and it isn't overbearing for me. I see some people compared it to cough syrup.. which I cannot see at all. My girlfriend who doesn't like most beer will drink this like nothing but its still "beer-ey" enough for me to enjoy as well. A solid pick.

09-29-2008 23:25:05 | More by oriolesfan4
6470zzy

A- A light amber pour with a marginal one finger of off white head.

S- The nose is one of domestic wheat and slightly cherry-like.

T- Medium sweetness from the cherries along with a small amount of tangy wheat.

M- Average body and carbonation

D- Lawnmower says it all for this one.

09-28-2008 16:40:32 | More by 6470zzy
thekevlarkid

Maryland

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Out of the bottle this beer was a slightly hazy yellow. Two fingers of fine head topped it and it displayed both good retention and very good lacing. The aroma was dominated by cherries with some metallic hints behind that which makes it a little artificial. The flavors were quite sweet at first but not cloying, but they mellowed out into a maltiness before finishing with a yeast tang. The tang is a little bitter and it makes the aftertaste unpleasant. Still, I found this one quite drinkable, summery and generally pleasant. It's a good medium bodied beer and probably a great swimming in the river, getting girls bikini tops off kinda brew. Hell yeah.

09-27-2008 02:27:50 | More by thekevlarkid
BeardedBoffin

New Mexico

2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

This beer pours a yellowish-golden color with an inch of good looking foam. The aroma is heavy with fruit dominated mostly by cherries. Light wheat character on the palate with slight carbonation. The flavor is artificial cherry up front with a little tartness and a little hop bitterness at the end. A little fruity for my tastes, but at least its not overly sweet.

09-24-2008 23:28:25 | More by BeardedBoffin
PatronWizard

3.9/5  rDev +24.6%

One of my monthly poker game contributions to an otherwise Bud Light/Corona crowd.

We have a very light golden haze. Pretty damn fine head.

Huge smell of cherries in the nose. Like life savers. For real. Very strong, very pleasant, very surprising.

The cherry flavor is quite welcome and nice. I usually don't like fruit flavor added to my beer, but since I'm fond of cherries, this is good.

Feel is kinda harsh. Probably due to the intended market.

Extremely drinkable.

Overall: I likes it

09-18-2008 01:42:31 | More by PatronWizard
bonkers

2.73/5  rDev -12.8%

I poured a 12 ounce bottle into my SA pint glass. Pours a deep orange color with lots of head, lotsa lacing. The smell is like cherry coke and so is the taste. It has a light to medium body with adequite carbonation. This brew is fairly easy drinking. I guess this would be good for people who are gateway beer drinkers(they like Mikes lemonade). This beer really is not for me, a bit too sweet.

09-18-2008 00:53:11 | More by bonkers
mphopkins99

Missouri

3.83/5  rDev +22.4%

A - Pours to a hazy orange with a nice head that stays around a while

S - Good wheat aroma with a definite presence of cherry

T - I really liked this, thought the cherry was definitely present, but not overwhelming the wheat flavor

M/D - Very light. Had a few on a hot day after working outside, and could have easily enjoyed a few more.

Basically another good Sam Adams product

09-17-2008 17:35:27 | More by mphopkins99
champ103

1.85/5  rDev -40.9%

A: Pours a hazy golden color. A decent sized white head forms, but leaves no lace.
S: This smells of cocktail cherry syrup. Kind of like syrup bars keep their cherries in. Just awful IMO.
T: Very sweet and syrupy. Cherries and a touch of wheat. Pretty much cloying.
M/D: A light body that is fairly creamy. The cloying sweetness and cherries makes this hard for me to swallow.

I am sorry, this is pretty bad. Avoid at all costs.

09-17-2008 05:14:33 | More by champ103
brushtachio

2.33/5  rDev -25.6%

apearance was nice but god, the smell! Completely over the top cherry cough syrup smell. Not a hint of wheat that I could discern. Taste was a little more pleasing but still oh so heavy on the cherries. This was closer to some kind of carbonated flavored mixed drink from smirnoff than it was to a beer. Taste wasn't terrible but so sweet that I'd never want to drink more.

09-16-2008 17:15:20 | More by brushtachio
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)