Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev -1%

This is my wife's favorite variety of Sam Adams, but don't be fooled. This beer is 0% wheat and 100% cherry cider.

(a) Pretty consistent of fruit beers, darker colored ale, resemblent of amber. Light lacing and one finger foam. (4/5)

(s) Smell is great, but very strong. All cherry and nothing else. Very promising...but (4/5)

(t) I understand this is a fruit ale, but lets call it Sam Adams Cherry slushy and just give the "wheat" to something deserving. Taste is overpowering everything else and every sip taste the same as the last. Needs balance, asap. This has the potential to be a great beer, but geesh, lay off the cherry pump. (3/5)

(m) Not sure what is to be felt here. Very heavy "syrup" like feel all throughout the palate. Very thick and slimy residue aftertaste. (2.5/5)

(d) Drinkability is another area where this beer is lacking. If im going to be limited to 2-3 beers you bet your ass its going to be with an Extreme American Ale. This beer is like too much desert, halfway through the second helping your immediately reqretting your decision to pick up the damn fork. (2.5/5)

lbaker, Feb 02, 2010
3.13/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a slightly hazy, deep golden yellow. Just a thin ring of white head around the edge of the glass. Good amount of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Smells exactly like a cherry slushy - cherry syrup. Hints of wheat are barely detectable in the background. Smells like this is going to be over the top sweet.

T: A good amount of cherry flavor here, but it's not as overpowering as the nose suggested. A decent balance is achieved by the wheat/malt flavors and the cherry sweetness. Sweetness becomes slightly cloying once the beer warms a bit. A little artificial. Meh.

M: A medium body with lots of carbonation. Appropriate for the style.

O: A decent brew, but probably not something I'll try again. This brew's aroma is way too artificial and it's other aspects are just average. Someone must be buying this and Cranberry Lambic, but I don't know who. While I'm a big proponent of Sam Adams, I am not sure why they insist on making these underwhelming fruity beers—especially in such large quantities.

MrDanno96, Jan 28, 2010
1.6/5  rDev -48.9%

A- Macro-esque color and clarity- just darker than your average lager. Pretty good head, swelled to about two fingers, then fades to a half.

S- Wow, huge cherry smell. This is easily the fruitiest beer I have ever smelled. Behind the cherries are slight corn grains, but mostly it's just artificial cherry aromas, like syrup for sno-cones. It is appetizing...

T- Blech, awful taste. Fake tasting, flat character, no redeeming qualities. Drainpours wanna pour this down the drain. What a huge disappointment.

M- Poor as well, like thick water. No body, but fairly smooth.

D- None. The taste is too awful, especially for such an established brewery that usually knows what it is doing (sans the "lambic"...).

Tragic.

SamN, Jan 25, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

I've been scared of Sam Adams fruit beers ever since I had my first cranberry lambic.

Hazy straw color with chunky white head. Lots of sticky layers left by a thin skim retention.

Smells like Luden's cherry cough drops and wheat. Taste parallels aroma. Crisp and refreshing.

Cherries are tough. Too syrupy and it tastes like cough syrup, too sugary and it tastes like cough drops, too natural and it's really sour, etc. This beer does a good job with'em.

donkeyrunner, Jan 25, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Another one from the mixed pack. I've had it before, but now for the review.

Appearance- A slightly cloudy gold, old hay color. A half inch of nice creamy head. A couple of little floaties.

Smell- Sweet, medicinal cherry. Not even cherry pie filling, but more like cherry cough syrup. There is a hint of the yeast and wheat as well. But mostly the cough syrup. Maybe a cherry Jolly Rancher. Weird. It smells delicious, if it was something other than beer. But it'd be a sweet candy.

Taste- Follows the nose a little too much. Tastes like the center of one of those chocolate covered cherries. Marischino cherry. Oh, and some wheat in there too. Finishes sweet too.

Mouthfeel- A nice thick richness.

Drinkability- It would be terrible, but the sweetness sort of mellows out eventually.

Yeah, this isn't my favorite. And I like cherry cough medicine and Jolly Ranchers. Too much, frankly.

callmescraps, Jan 22, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +9.6%

Another solid brew by the Boston Beer Company. True to it's form, it has a nice head with good lacing. Very sweet cherry scents, woody, and wheaty on the nose. A true wheat beer, with high cherry accents and a slight twingy hop finish. A really nice change of pace, but hard to drink more than one or two in a session, because of the style.

bigdeuce, Jan 20, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -21.7%

May 2010 notch date

Bottle poured into glass.

The smell of cherries were nice. It color is amber and can see through the glass. The comment on the bottle, generous wheat was a definite degradation for my tastes.

The smell of the cherries was more evident than the taste of cherries.

One thing was the carbonation very active, reminds me of soda, the carbonation actually sizzles on the tongue, which you can hear. Makes me wonder how the carbonation was handled.

Active carbonation the whole time, no noticeable nucleation sites, nice tiny bubbles.

M - thin

Says 2001 gold winner, but for me the beer was a turn off.

I do not plan to buy this beer again.

beer272, Jan 18, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This has to be one of my favorite Samuel Adams beers. I like that there is a wheat base, with that hint of cherries. Kriek style, almost like their specialty beer after the Belgian take on a Lambic. This beer is ok, out of a bottle, but an even better way to enjoy this beer is to have it poured into a int glass from either a bottle, or of course on tap. On tap this beer is phenomenal!

StevenBilodeau, Jan 15, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

The pour was superb and it looked fantastic. Thick frothy head that seemed to stick around for days.

The aroma bordered on overpowering with cherries and the taste was almost a mixture of beer and cough syrup. Too much cherry taste for me.

The texture was good but unless someone buys it for me or it happens to be the last beer in the fridge I don't plan on drinking this again anytime soon.

JustinJTisdale, Jan 11, 2010

Got this at Hard Rock Cafe in Denver on tap, into pint glass

Appearance - Pours an opaque golden/brown colour with white head, good retention

Smell - Strong cherry

Taste - Strong cherry, with a balance of maltiness and hoppiness

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a dry yet dangerously smooth finish

Drinkability - Could drink these all day

Overall - Another favourite

tjd112, Jan 10, 2010
3.13/5  rDev 0%

A- Medium brown body, white foamy head that sticks around for a while.

S- The cherry aroma is very strong and inviting

T- A little hoppy, strong tart cherry taste, a little malt follows

M- Fairly smooth, medium body

D- A decent fruit beer, but I there are much bettter options

mtyrrell, Jan 06, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When I poured the SA cherry wheat into my glass it had a light golden color to it with a thin white head that dissipates into a think white lace. I smell a very nice aroma of cherry and wheat. A very nice taste of cherry and wheat that leaves a little bit of an after taste on the back of your tongue. I think it is a very drinkable beer that would be good as a dessert beer. I couldn't drink them all of the time but once in a while for something different is cool with me.

chefhatt, Jan 05, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +18.2%

Once served in my bayern mug:

A: An amber color very cloudy, seems like malt nectar, the foamy head is thin and fine with good lacing;

S: Sweet, cherry and bubble gum, probable use the same formula that the tutsi-pop pallets;

T: A lot of cherry with a finish of bubble gum and wheat that goes almost unnoticed

M: Slightly dry and bitter sweet, the body is light to medium with good carbonation;

D: Is like the chiclocentro of the tutsi-pops with beer.

roddwolff, Jan 01, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +10.2%

I believe the Cherry Wheat was the first Sam Adams brew I ever had. It makes for one of the perfect dessert beer. It brings a much sweeter taste than you might expect, but that isn't a bad thing. I'm not huge on fruit beer, but I would recommend the Cherry Wheat.

Cubsfan1087, Jan 01, 2010
3.15/5  rDev +0.6%

Totally groundscored two bottles of this in my apartment hallway and happy I did because two is just about all I could handle! Tasty but a bit overwhelmingly cherry for me.

Appearance- Pours brilliant orange with red accents. Large, beige 2 finger head of big ol' bubbles fluffs up then fades quickly.

Aroma- CHERRIES! As deep and intensely as I can sniff, all I get is cherries. If I try hard enough, I might be able to pull some hints of wheat or malt sweetness, but sour cherries overwhelm the aroma, almost to the point of being candy-like.

Flavor- Surprisingly, the cherry flavor takes the back seat as a sweet, wheaty/malty, light to medium bodied beer provides a solid backbone for the cherry madness. Cherry flavors hang from start to finish, but there is definitely a beer hiding in there! Slightly dry, wheaty finish that is rather refreshing. Cherries are slightly overwhelming though and start to overpower after 1 beer.

Mouthfeel- Moderate to high CO2, slightly sweet balanced with slightly dry finish. Feels somewhat warm, but maybe from strong cherry flavor?

Overall- Pretty good, but cherry flavor makes it hard to have more than 1 or 2 in a setting. Decent summer brew that would be tasty with thick cut pork chops, cheese cake, salty/rich cheeses, and maybe even cherry pie (if you are a glutton for cherry punishment)!

dudemuskie, Dec 27, 2009

I have tried this beer twice and that is enough for me. It has a weird somewhat cherry after taste that on the first sip is ok but by the end of the bottle was enough. I have had worse beers but for Sam Adams I would have to rate this one the lowest. It is easy to drink and it has a good smell to it so I'll give it that much.

Buckeyes67, Dec 10, 2009
3.15/5  rDev +0.6%

My first review, Cheers!!!

12oz bottle, bought a 6 pack at the local walmart in oak grove ky.

(A) Has a very distinct golden color, poured with light carbonation that created about a 1/4in head, that quickly disspated.

(S) A noticable cherry smell, very fruity, with a hint of hops.

(T) The taste was nothing like the smell. there was just a hint of cherry, most dissapointing.

(M) The body is very light a thin, which dissapointed me as i was expecting a more wheat beer like body.

(D) The beer is very easy to drink, my wife had one for herself and enjoyed it, and she is not a beer drinker at all. This is an excellent beer to pour for your non-beer drinking friends to open them up to the possibilitys of the better beers that are out there.

dangruver, Dec 09, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -12.8%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. Best by Feb. 2010. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for the trade.

(A)- Pours a cloudy goldenrod color that produced a rather admirable bubbly white head that is leaving behind some bits of lacing as it slowly dissipated.

(S)- Tons of tart cherries that paired with the wheat reminds me of cherry pie.

(T)- The smell dictated something totally different than how it tastes. The cherries are there, but very artificial-like and more subdued than I would have thought. All the wheat takes center stage; plenty of cloying biscuity hay.

(M)- Very crisp carbonation level. A good decent balance, but the smell deceives you into thinking this will taste good. Very thick feeling and artificially tasting.

(D)- A beer for those seeking something different. Its alright, but I would much rather grab a better tasting fruit beer than this when the mood hits me for this style. Someone who isnt a beer drinker might like this though. . .

sweemzander, Dec 03, 2009

Despite this being a fru-fru fruit beer I am a repeat customer.

Fine pour, average beer carbonation, small head. Clear with slight copper color.

INTENSE cherry aroma just like fresh cut cherries. Dunno if it's extract or fruit but SA/BBC pulls it off. Tastes like a weak wheat beer with intense cherry flavor that exactly matches the aroma.

Smooth, even flavor through the finish with aftertaste of cherry.

Drinkability factor high, cherry flavor high, want another but maybe not.

B+

burcher, Nov 29, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Light to medium brown body with a certain haze. The head is white and frothy starting out at only three eighths of an inch but it has some nice stamina.

S - Potent cherry aroma. Very inviting.

T - Slight bitter hop taste before a tart cherry flavor and then a malty finish.

M - The feel is slightly coarse going down relatively well.

~ This is a decent fruit brew. I recommend a try, but not a six pack.

cdkrenz, Nov 28, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +31%

Pours pale amber in color with plenty of bubbles throughout. Has a big foamy white head that settles to a thin coating after a while.

The cherries practically jump out of the glass. It's really all I can smell with the exception of some light wheat malt and lots of sweetness. It's actually a very pleasant and inviting aroma.

The cherries are again in the forefront when you first taste it and are the predominant flavor throughout. There is also some some bready notes that give it almost a cherry muffin quality.

It's a light to medium body beer with a little sharpness from the carbonation. It has a very crisp and clean finish.

This beer is highly drinkable. Very refreshing and easy to drink. I remember the first time I had it, the flavors were off putting, but that was probably ten years ago when I was just getting into craft beer. I remember having it again at a beer dinner with some cherry cheesecake about 5 years ago and how well it went with the dessert. I haven't had it since and this time around I like it very much.

Kallessin, Nov 27, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +55.9%

Cherry aroma hits your nose immediately, after pouring into a pint glass...nice frothy head...first taste: sweetness of cherry hits the palate first, then a nice crisp finish. I like this beer. Can't drink it all the time, but only because my taste buds get used to it, and get jaded...I really think this is my all time favorite beer. My anytime beer: summer - great thirst quencher. Fall: great to go with any Autumn dish. Winter: well, hell, whatever holiday we're in, gimme a Cherry Wheat - it's a celebration in my mouth! Spring: a celebration of the season! I love this one. And maybe that makes my review a little less relevant, but for the record: I don't have any ties to the Sam Adams brewery. But I know what I like.

dakeynr, Nov 22, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
bottle to glass

pours a hazy yellow with a thin little stark white head. the smell of cherries kick you in the mouth. it smells as though i've opened a jar of em. hiding behind that, some heavy yeastiness and wheat. it's hard to distinguish much else beyond the strong cherry smell. i guess that's good for the style, but it's a bit overwhelming.

taste is same as smell. it's cherries all over with some ripe bananas, wheat, yeastiness, and some grain back there, too. mouthfeel is light, slick, watery. somewhat off-putting. it actually felt and tasted kind of like drinking a melted cherry lip balm concoction.

drinkability low. i find this cherry wheat similar to the blackberry wit i reviewed a few weeks ago. too much fruit, not enough beer. i think Boston Brewing would do better with these types of beers if they learned to tone them down a bit and ramp up some of the other flavors. i'm not impressed.

vdread, Nov 21, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

A darker straw color, with an obviously unfiltered look. Head has an almost soapy consistency as does the lacing.
Smells of tart cherries, like maraschino cherries.
Almost has the taste and smell of a cherry strudel. Kind of cool!

This is not my favorite beer due to the extra sweetness but it is definitely better than Purple Haze.

Spineypanda, Nov 20, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +42.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. In full disclosure, I will confess that I love cherries in general and cherry beer usuall receives high marks from me.

Appearance: hazy golden-orange color with some small floaties in it. Two-finger ivory head dissipated somewhat quickly but left an attractive lace.

Smell: mostly cherries but a hint of citrusy wheat aroma comes through. The cherries are nice and present but not overdone; I like it.

Taste: nice cherry flavor; there's also a nice rather dry bite toward the end as the fruit yields to the wheat. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a nice, well-integrated carbonation which yields a nice creamy texture. Great!

Drinkability: I enjoy this beer a great deal and could drink sixer after sixer of it.

flagmantho, Nov 17, 2009
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)