Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
2.53/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

After hearing stories about how bad this beer tastes for over a year, I finally decided to give it a try and picked a bottle on my last visit to New York...

12 US.fl.oz bottle poured into a generic American pint glass...

A - Looks more like a pilsner to me, with its pale golden/straw colour. The head is alright, with solid retention and some lacing. My grade is a bit low because it does not look like a CHERRY beer to me... sorry

S - The first reaction I had was "Cherry-flavoured Halls lozenge?". The aroma is almost entirely made up of that, plus some minor grain notes, with a little bit of caramel. All in all, the aroma is more appalling than original or attractive...

T - The taste is full of those Cherry lozenge notes, just like the smell was. Not very sweet at first. The after-taste reminds me of a bad pale lager, with a sour metallic feel to it. This beer sort of blends the aspects of a bad fruit beer with those of a generic macro lager...

M - Light-to-medium body to it. Slightly syrup-like. Highly carbonated, almost like a sparkling beverage... Frankly, this is a bit hard to drink, in my opinion.

O - This is the kind of beer that makes me wonder how many people actually like it. Apparently, this is popular among college girls and yuppies... Well then, it's got a right to exist, but as for me, I've definitely had better fruit wheat beers...

2.88/5  rDev -8%

I really wanted to like this beer. I enjoy wheat beer. I enjoy cherries. Sam Adams has a respected reputation. It seemed like a winning combination. In the end though it just missed the mark for me.

Appearence - What I saw was a medium to light golden hue, maybe just a little hazy.

Smell - Tart Cherries. The overriding smell I got was a very strong sense of the cherry.

Taste - This is where it derailed a bit for me. Cherry Wheat started out very smooth, with little to no bitterness to speak of. On my first taste I was optimistic, then the cherry hit me. I was expecting something along the lines of a hint of cherry, or maybe a subtle weaving of the flavor profile into the overall taste similer to what Shiner achieved with the peach notes in their Holiday Cheer offering. Instead there was a very strong cherry follow to the beer, that seemed reminiscint of cherry cough syrup. I loved the smoothness, but just can't get past strength of the cherry.

Mouthfeel - I enjoyed the way this felt on the pallet. It had a medium mouthfeel that seemed extremely well balanced. My only complaint here would be that the carbonation is just slightly more than I prefer. That is really very minor and doesn't detract from the feel at all.

Overall - Probably not a beer I will be revisiting, but given the flavor profile I'm sure there are those that will really enjoy it.

3.88/5  rDev +24%

Pours a strawberry blonde. Appears unfiltered.

Smell is of cherries and sugary grains. Very pleasant.

Cherries explode on the palate but is not over the top with very minimal wheat notes and a mellow honey nip. I don't understand where others are getting a an artifical flavor. It tastes honest and very natural with an earthy feel. This liquid medicine claim crap is getting old.

This brew has a washy finish rounded by a full body.

I always get giddy when I see these hit the shelves. If you are a cherry and beer lover then this is a perfect match for you. If you don't like cherries then don't even bother with this, plain and simple. This beer is not as bad as people are making it out to be.

2.45/5  rDev -21.7%

Served in a Devil's Backbone weizen glass.

I've been ragged-on recently, but I will continue to force-pronounce the "h" in "wheat". Think Stewie Griffin and Cool Whip... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear straw topped by a finger of solid white foam. The nose tries to hint at a bit of dry wheat, but things are thoroughly dominated by a half-medicinal, half-artificial cherry smell. Not exactly my bowl o' fruit, so to speak. The taste intimates toward a wheat-y revolution, but the malevolent iron fist of the cherry junta maintains a constant vigil, keeping any subversive characters under an ever-present threat of violent reprisal. Worse, a mineral-y, tinny flavor caps things off at the finish. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a wet feel. Overall, a decided miss. the cherry character just doesn't work at all. 'Nuff said.

4.1/5  rDev +31%

This beer is pretty fruity, but is still really good! It seems like a great summer beer, something I would like to drink while just relaxing. Obviously it's not the most manly of beverages, but another great beer from Sam Adams in my opinion; in fact one of their best seasonal beers

1.78/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

After trying to figure out for days as to why this is in my fridge I decided to drink one to do a formal review because I have nothing else to do.

Slightly cloudy wheat color. Small white head that reduces to a collar around the beer.

Smells like Cherry 7-Up. Reminds me of the first day of summer in the 3rd grade and I went straight to the convenience store to buy one. Nevermind alcoholic energy drinks, someone should sue Sam Adams for targeting minors.

Any relation to 7-Up ends at the taste. It's buttery with a very unsatisfying bitterness in the aftertaste. Bready with a hint of hay and salt-less saltines. Reminds me of the crackers you get at communion, bland and tasteless. All of it is over powered by an artificial cherry flavor. Judging by the color, I'm guessing they use extract. Might make more sense to have a cherry beer that is actually red or reddish.

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

This was very disappointing for a samuel adams beer, and maybe my expectations were too high. I do feel I'm echoing other people's thoughts though, it's not a good beer. It have a terrible robitussin taste at first, though it improves as I drink it. It is a thin beer and whatever hops or wheat that was used in the brewing process is absolutely shadowed by intense cherry flavor.

2.48/5  rDev -20.8%

Had this beer to broaden my horizons. I hadn't tried many fruity beers in the past. Most of my experiences were with framboises, but I do know my wheat beers. Comes from living in Oregon and starting out with the Widmer beers.

This came from a bottle, poured into a pilsner glass at the local tavern (Cloverleaf Tavern of New Jersey, check it out).

There was a low head which dissipated almost immediately. There was a golden hue with some filtering (Captain Obvious says: not cloudy). Due to the quick drop in head, there was almost no lacing.

I took a quick sniff of the aroma, and someone dropped a case of black cherries on my head. Seriously, this is not a subtle bouquet. There was so much cherry, it smacked me in the face.

At first there was less cherry in the tasting, then it appears in the after-taste. With each swallow the taste got stronger, to the point where I almost couldn't finish.

I would probably pass on this beer if ever offered again. Not worth getting one for free.

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours hazy orange with thick white head. No lacing or crust.

Smells of cherry cola. Not sure if that's necessarily a good thing, but I like the smell.

Taste isn't as cherry cola-y as I expected. Some cherry notes up front, hop bitterness on the finish. Also some maltiness.

Thin mouthfeel.

Cherry Wharton has got to be one of my 5 top Sam Adams releases. This beer is really great on it's own or as a dessert after a meal. The beer is on the lighter side, the color is golden. The head sticks around for a bit. The cherry flavor is super sweet in the beginning but trails off near the end when your taste buds are getting used to it. The aroma of this beer is wonderful. This beer is great if your just having one. If you start to have two or three back to back it starts to lose it's intensity. Very good though!

4.35/5  rDev +39%

Had from tap and served in the Boston Lager glass

A: The Sam Adams Cherry Wheat has a hazy orange color with with a 1" head

S: This beer had a excellent Michigan Cherry smell

T: This beer has the Cherry and Malted Wheat taste right upfront with excellent carbonation and a smooth cereal notes, citrus taste from the Bavarian Noble hops, and cherry aftertaste, with a hint of honey.

M: This beer goes down real smooth

Overall/Drinkability: This is a beer that I will drink again.

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

Well, the tap SAID cherry wheat, but alas, the cherry is CHERRY and the wheat is, well, um...well, just not there. I like lambics very much, and I like fruit beers overall; but I wanted something more from this one. Looked nice (20 oz draft at Chili's) and went down as smooth as you could possibly ask for, but the cherry was a bit over the top. My daughter dipped her finger in and said "UMMM", right before she attacked the chocolate molten lave cake, so you know where her head was at and how this beer fit right into it. After a few first sips, I thought this might be a good session beer, as I was watching some March Madness, but the fruitiness might disallow this.

3.43/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Pours a very light pale to straw color. Good 2 finger pearl white head. Only slight consistent carbonation. Looks great.

S: Very potent cherry smell. IBut this is a touch medicinal for me. I'm a fan of fruit infused beers that have such a strong fruit aroma. If I gave this to someone and told them to smell it without telling them what it was, they would definitely pickup the cherry notes first and foremost. The hops notes are supremely diminished which I personally like for this type of beer. BUT I couldn't imagine wanting all beers to smell like this all the time.

T: Wheat right upfront with a nice carbonation and a great smooth wheat and cherry aftertaste. It's exactly what I would look for in a fruit flavored beer. Little bit of a bite before the end. Alcohol isn't present. Great.

M: Definitely thin but the carbonation gives it a little bit more body which I like.

D: I would definitely buy this again if I was in the mood for a cherry beer. This is a once in awhile specialty though. I couldn't drink more than one in a day though because they are just so overwhelmingly cherry and your taste buds just get overworked.

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head.
S: Aromas of cherries prominently stand out in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste is dominated by flavors of cherries, although there are some hints of wheat that prevent it from tasting like cough syrup.
M: It feels light-bodied and a bit watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is easy to drink but there's no way that I would have more than one of these at a time because the smell and taste are both one-dimensional.

2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

[Best served in a Flute Glass]

Poured amber-orange in color with a small fizzy head that dissapated rapidly with nice lacing. The aroma was overwhelming with cherries and a hint of sweet yeast. It tasted sweet with a very strong cherry flavor. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture. Overall nothing special, nice on a hot summer day.

2.3/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured a hazy amber gold with nice high white head but fell to nothing - not like other wheats that keep a decent strip.

A punch in the nose of cherry cough drops, not an earthy fruity cherry aroma I would expect. Bready malt is stirred up after a few swirls. No hop aromas that I can detect.

The cherry flavor is fairly subtle the first few sips - a sweetness of malt is up front and a pretty tasty bready/wheat flavor finishes up but the after taste and taste on the back of the nose/throat definitely remind me of cough syrup - a memory that does take away from the possibility of this beer.

a thin to medium body that goes down pretty smooth, but not as creamy as a real wheat beer. Carbonation is adequate for the style.

Unfortunately this wasn't what I would expect for a cherry wheat - maybe just a hint of cherry would tone it down and bring more of a wheat taste overall.

2.15/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Shared a pitcher of this with great company over brick oven pizza.

Appearance is typical for a wheat beer, cloudy with copper color. Smells good enough, light wheat malt in front followed by huge cherry presence.

Taste is where this brew took a turn for the worse. Light malty palate smooth from the wheat, quickly crushed by an overwhelming, cloying, sickeningly sweet cherry presence. The cherry flavor is one-dimensional and tastes completely artificial. A cherry flavored candy or cherry cough medicine is what this reminds me of, not actual cherries. The body was refreshing but drinkability was non existent, every sip made me cringe.

I realize that fruit beers seem to be a very polarizing style. I enjoy them, but not with a flavor this overwhelming. I could barely stomach a glass but if you prefer a fruit beer with intense, in your face flavor this may be right up your alley.

3.95/5  rDev +26.2%

Poured bottle into a pint glass. Nice amber color, showing obvious signs of a fruit beer. Sweet smell, but not over the top. Head fizzles down quick. A real easy drinking beer, that seems to lack the carbonation of most beers. Pretty good out of a bottle, but better off a tap. This is a beer that goes well with a salty snack (wings or pizza). Easy to drink a few.

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

A- pours a pretty clear golden. Slightly orange. Lacing is sound, retention is so so.
S- Smell is pretty much entirely cherry syrup. I suppose there is a little bit of wheat malt.
T- Starts with a bit of wheat, becomes intensely cherry flavor. Finish has a bit of metallic twinge to it. That metallic nature is bringing it down.
M- Low carbed, pretty smooth, moderate body.
D-Too one diminesional with the cherry. That really brings it down.

The smell of this one was of maraschino cherries and the taste followed closely to the smell. This fruit beer actually does not have that intense of a fruity flavor and it is more of a subtle cherry hint that surfaces after the Initial wheat flavor. The drinkability of this one is decent for a fruity beer and I can actually see myself drinking a whole case in one sitting. The mouth feel is also a nice cool refresher of a feel.

All in all this is one of the better fruit beers I have tried, and I usually pick up a case of these on a nice hot summer day.

3.73/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a crisp clean yellow color

S-Has a very stong cherry smell

T-Tastes like eating a jar of cerries

M-light bodied with good carbonation

D-This is very drinkable if you love cherries. I like cheeries but don't love them. With this had alittle more boozey flavor. Overall a good beer but too much cheerieness

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat is a good summertime beer.

Pours a bright golden color.

Smell is what's advertised: cherries.

Although there's an abundant amount of cherries involved, the beer is well-balanced. The cherry flavoring doesn't take over the beer.

Nice drinking beer with a steak on the grill.

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass
(Note: My initial ratings and my final rating are very different with this beer. On first reaction, I really liked many elements of this one but as I continued to taste and observe I liked it a whole lot less. My final ratings are somewhere between the two)

A: Very slightly cloudy (chill haze which goes away). Amber-orange. Nice color. Pours a huge bready head and leaves spotty lace.

S: The fresh cherry smell is huge. Smells like cherry ice cream, malt, and fresh Rainier cherries. A little wheat lingers.

T: Here is where the confusion starts...On the first few tastes the cherry aroma brings the initial punch but is quickly rounded out by a tangy wheat with a light bitter. BUT as you go down the glass it begins to taste a lot like cherry flavored cough medicine.

M: Carbonation level is nice vehicle for this otherwise ultra-smooth textured beer. A little chewy.

D: Hmmm...again, at first it was very enjoyable but there is definitely something in the aftertaste I am not ecstatic about. Good, I think but not something I'd go after again or drink more than one of at a time.

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams Red Lobster Perfect Pint glass.

A - Pours a light straw color, a bit lighter than some typical wheat beers. On top of the beer a 2-fingered pillow of head gently rests, with moderate retention. A slow, steady stream of carbonation rushes to replenish the head in vain, and as the head dwindles, it takes most of the lacing with it, only leaving a few scattered globs. Almost completely clear as well, which was surprising given the name.

S - The smell really does exude a ton of cherries, but in a candied type of way, not tart or sour at all. The first impression I get is cherry-flavored Fun Dip, almost medicinal. After the cherry subsides, there's a hefty grain bill chock full of cereal and biscuit that really balances it.

T - The taste starts with a rush of sugary cherry and honey before quickly being replaced by the aforementioned malts and grain. The sweetness from the cherries and honey linger and are present in the finish, but for the most part this is almost all grain. The wheat is almost completely absent as I can't really place any wheat characteristics besides ... the grain.

M - Mouthfeel is light-bodied with good carbonation. The finish is moderately long and full of sweet cherries.

D - Drinkability is moderate. For how light this beer is, it is actually pretty filling and it took me a while to finish. The cherry flavor is refreshing at the start but turns a bit for the worse as it warms.

3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

I tried this beer with high expections considering it is sam adams.
I was unable to finish a six pack because it became to filling and the taste becomes overwhelming to me.
It is probably the amount of (cherry wheat flavoring ) that is in the beer. If it was a bit lighter then it might be improved.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)