Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Really nice pour with wheat colors and slight hint of rust and very thin lacing.

Smell: Smell is actually really good of a wheat beer with hints of the cherry coming through.

Taste: The cherry is very powerful on the first sip and to me almost too powerful. However, it ends nicely and the cherry becomes less strong in the after taste. Problem is after a while the cherry becomes pretty bitter and the bitterness gets stronger the more you drink. It's actually a little off putting.

Mouthfeel: It's not too carbonated and actually pretty smooth.

Drinkability: This is really a type of beer that must be had with food and it should be a desert. Even with that said, I found it hard to go through my whole pint because the bitterness of the beer really got to me. So it's sort of good for novelty sake, but can't see myself drinking more then one in a night.

Nezzy, Oct 09, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a golden straw color that cloudy with a fluffy head. It keeps a soapy lace all the way down. Beer is nice and healthy as its out of the new harvest collection and is fresh until Jan 10. Looks like a typical wheat beer. For some reason, I expected it to be red.

All I smell are cherries! cherries and some malt background. Much much else happening.

I was actually quite surprised by the 1st initial taste. I like it! It reminds me of Magic Hats Wacko if you've ever had it. This beer has a front of cherry that is nicely balanced with a bit of malt flavor in the background that finishes with plenty of sourdough bready goodness.

I liked this one. It was well balanced and enjoyable. Not the overpowering cherry tart I was expecting...I pleasant surprise.

jhammel01, Oct 07, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy, lazy yellow with a small bubbly head, no retention and minimal lacing, barely even a crown on the glass.

Nose is sweet, bright cherries. The label says this is brewed with cherries and cherry flavor added, so some of the nose may be artificial.
Taste is smooth and easy, pleasant cherry taste and not anywhere near as sweet as it smells. Decent malt balance, a touch of yeast, and slightly more than average carbonation make this a genuine entry for a fruit flavored beer instead of just dumping in some fruit juice at the end and calling it so. A good beer to have with dessert and a fine session brew for the fall or spring.

Anthony1, Oct 06, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -19.2%

First impressions are good; cloudy wheat-gold color with a pillowy white head. The nose is a little off-putting; wheat, with a strong air of unpleasant cherry-robitussin scent. Taste is initally very poor; like a bitter cherry pill. The wheat seems to become a little more evident after the first few sips, but it's still nothing special. The beer has a bitter, medicinal aftertaste that lingers after each sip. Definitely the weak link in the sampler pack.

medic25, Oct 06, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -17.6%

I poured this from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass. It is a hazy orange with a nice white head.

It smells like a cherry Icee, but I like cherry Icees, so I would say I like the smell.

It tastes bad. It doesn't taste like beer or like an Icee either.

The mouthfeels is alright, but I could only swallow about 4 ounces before I gave the rest to my wife. She liked it, but I did not.

greengorilla, Oct 05, 2009
3.13/5  rDev 0%

Orange and hazy, little head and no lacing remains after the initial finger high rise.

This really smells of summer cherries, with a little wheat tang in the background. Cherry is strong, almost overpowering. They are a bit more subdued in the taste, but so is everything else. It's a mild tart fruitiness and some earthy wheat. Hops come through with a somewhat bitter bite in the finish, but it all fades fairly quickly.

Somewhat syrupy in the feel, and oddly filling. I would not enjoy following this up with another. I remember liking this beer way back in my initial foray into craft, say 12 yrs ago or so. It probably has not changed, but my tastes certainly have.

ZimZamZoom, Oct 04, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

This is actually a very good-looking beer, an ordinary hefeweizen hazy orange with a slight, sunsetty tinge of cherry rouge. The head on top is no slouch, puffy and cumulous and white with fantastic retention. The aroma smells like cherry kringle - not much depth, but it smells nice. The flavor is tart with cherry, which dominates, but there is a sort of wheaty tang and some bready notes underneath, plus a snap of hops in the end. Nice mouthfeel with very soft carbonation and a solid dryness; there is a bit of sweetness to this beer, but the overall impression is one of balance. I was pleasantly surprised with this beer! The cherry flavor is fresh and robust, but not overwhelming.

soulgrowl, Oct 03, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into pilsner glass.

Beer is a cloudy yellow-orange, with visible effervescence. Head is cream colored and is about a centimeter thick when poured, and it maintains this thickness for a considerable amount of time. Lacing is thick and stays right where the beer leaves it.

This is definitely a cherry brew. Maraschino cherries dominate the scent, with an undertone of lemony acid underneath. Some wheat character is barely noticable.

First taste has no surprises. Cherry, cherry, cherry, with a touch of lemon and - you guessed it - the faintest touch of wheat character. Finish is kinda fizzy, with a slight bitterness that fades quickly, noticable wheat on the palate lingers. As the palate adjusts and the beer warms slightly, the beer gets a touch more sour, which helps to, but doesn't quite succeed, in shifting the cherry flavor from a childish maraschino to a more adult bing.

This beer is extremely light and fizzy. Between the carbonation and the extremely understated beeriness in favor of fruit, it is not unlike drinking a cherry cream soda.

It would seem at first that, as similar to soda as this beer is, that it would be easy to slam these all night. However, from experience I can tell you this beer loses its novelty fairly quickly. While one of these on occassion is a light and unchallenging treat, drinking more than one in a session proves a challenge.

TheMadJack, Oct 01, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a very hazy dark golden color with a slight cherry reddish tint. Foam is of modest size (especially for a wheat) and fairly creamy.

Nose is heavily laden with sweet maraschino cherries and hints of wheat tang and earthy caramel malt.

Tastes mostly like a crisp American wheat beer with a healthy dose of sweet and sour cherry flavor. It is a bit thin, and maybe even leaning towards watery, but I am enjoying this beer more than I thought I would. Not sure if a six-pack purchase is in my near future, but I'll happily drink these as part of the fall sampler pack.

twiggamortis420, Sep 30, 2009
2.55/5  rDev -18.5%

This is one of the few Sam Adams I have yet to sample, so checking this out for the first time right now. Pours a moderately cloudy straw gold. Big two finger white head actually has a lot of retention. It looks like quite a nice wheat beer actually.

I got a big whiff of cherries while pouring this one. Putting my nose up to it I take in loads of cherry and cherry flavoring. Using real fruit can be incredibly expensive, so obviously to get such a cherry rush this is full of those "natural" flavors. It actually smells pretty good as a flavoring, but honestly there is little else to the scent besides gobs of cherry additives. Perhaps a bit of wheaty grain behind, the nose actually comes off as a bit sharp, as if it is crisp or well hopped. I'm not even going to knock the smell. Maybe this will taste good, if I can deal with all the cherry flavors.

No, no it doesn't. Chock full of bad cherry flavoring, but not sweet, instead it is chalky, with a moderate bitterness that has more than just a little bit of metallic off-notes. Some wheat on the finish, but also an odd tongue-curling recoil that reminds me of the plastic flavor in a cheap adjunct lager. This is quite poor. Quite poor indeed.

Light bodied with a high, foam-in-your-mouth level of carbonation that just makes it harder to get down. I can drink this single bottle I have unleashed upon the world, but thankfully this is from a sampler pack and my brother will drink the other. One of Sam's worst.

vacax, Sep 30, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -8%

Poured from 12 ounce bottle into weizen glass.

Appearance - Pale orange, slightly cloudy, thin white head, no retention

Smell - Cherries with a hint of more cherries

Taste - Bright and tart cherry, no hops, no wheat either. Cherry soda almost for flavor profile, minus the cola

Mouthfeel - Light, acidic with good carbonation

Drinkability - Very easy to consume, lawnmower or beach bum beer, i.e. great for the summer. Not sure why it's in the Fall sampler pack.

BetterDarker, Sep 29, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a pint glass.

I'm generally fine with most of the Sam Adams products, especially those that are a little out of the ordinary i.e. imperial pilsner. However, their Cherry Wheat misses the mark. The look is fine - nice, golden color with a nice white head that leaves some lacing. The smell is not so great - maraschino cherry syrup; very sweet and cloying. The taste is not so cloying, but still nothing good - too sweet when there should be some tartness. Mouthfeel is like soda bordering on harsh. Yeah, this isn't my cup of tea, but I could see people enjoying this one. It's like beer, but not. Recommendation to avoid.

ExtraStout, Sep 29, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance: Hazy gold, good head.

Smell: Cherries--smells like a lollipop instead of fresh cherries.

Taste: Some yeasty breadiness, a sweet then tangy cherry flavor.

Drinkability: I'll finish the two in the sampler pack and probably never have it again.

Picked up the Sam Adams fall sampler to try some more from their vast line of products. The cherry wheat follows the other fruit-infused wheats they've put out over the years, but tastes more artificial than the others. Not too good.

Mdog, Sep 27, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a hazy, somewhat lighter yellow color with a decent amount of white head and some lacing down the side of the glass.

S: A cherry-flavored Juicy Juice-like smell with some lager yeasts. A bit artificial and metallic.

T: A strong sweet cherry rush hits the tongue, letting the taste buds revel in its freshness and deliciousness. However, this is followed up by some yeasty wheat malts and a strange hop twang. A nice outset leads to a disappointing end.

M: Good bit of carbonation, with a malty, slightly watery body.

D: The cherry taste on the palate is very refreshing and flavorful, but the rest of the beer isn't comparably good. The strange yeasty malts will probably be the factor that deters me from having another.

thekanna, Sep 26, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +41.5%

One of the first Samuel Adams beers I ever tried, it did not fail to impress (as most Sam Adams would from then on). An unusual idea for beer I would think, cherries amongst a wheat beer proved to be a pleasant surprise. From the aroma, to the exceptional taste, right down to the craving of the next sip, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is always a recommendation I make when people are looking to dabble into new beers.

philibum13, Sep 24, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

Got a six-pack of this from a friend. Best by date of December 2009 marked on the bottle. Pours a hazy, golden color. Some suspended yeast can be seen. Not much bubble activity in the glass. Pours with a big two fingers of white head. It stays around for a little while before fading to a small cap. Moderate amount of lacing.

Immediate smell is sweet cherries. Overpowering really. After a short time, it seems to fade some. Wheat smell comes through more. Kind of smells like Sam Adams Summer with some cherry syrup. Oddly enough, it smells like cherry coke at times. It's not an unpleasant smell, but it is weird nonetheless.

Taste is actually a bit different from the aroma. While the nose is pretty much dominated by the cherry, the taste is a lot more wheat than anything. The beer starts off with sweet cherries, but a grainy wheat ale then takes over everything. Finishes a bit tart from the wheat twang.

Medium bodied. Good amount of carbonation, as you would expect to find in a wheat beer. A little watery. Slightly harsh. A bit dry on the finish.

Overall, I don't think it's a bad beer. It's just not great. It's easy enough to drink one, but I think a second might be overkill. It is a nice change of pace every once in a while though.

jimj21, Sep 23, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +28.8%

A= pours a hazy amberish golden sort of color similar to honey with a nice two finger head on it. Pretty impresive looking with a decent amount of lacing nad really pretty decent retention. Really pretty beer.
S= the cherry notes hit you first. Its a lot like one of those cherries ytou get on top of you ice cream. Not a fake cherry taste but defintally not fresh cherries. The wheat falls in fast as well after the cherry whiffs away. The cherry never really goes away but the wheat makes it a lot less delicious.
T= the taste is odd. Its actually almost a perfect balance for a fruit beer. Cherry and wheat may be the perfect combo. Its by no means the most delicious beer I have ever had but for a fruit beer its really not bad. I've heard a lot of hate on this beer but I think its great. Really awesome for late summer to fall transition. The wheat malt compliments the cherry so well. While my rating may be high for this its great for the style.
M= perfect low carbonation level and smooth finish. Really enjoyable.
D= a pretty good fruit beer. Very well thought out and use of fruit and malt. Based on style this may be the best fruit beer I've ever had.

jjanega08, Sep 22, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -52.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Looked average in the glass. Cloudy golden with a white pillowy head.

First sip: "Hmm... that's weird".

Second sip: "Ugh... what the...."

Third sip: *Mr. Yuk face*

I only wish the flashy thing from Men In Black was real so I could use it to forget the flavor of this beer. Tastes like cherry seltzer water. Sweetness was almost invisible. Felt light and fizzy and not at all like a wheat or any kind of flavored beer I have had. It was impossible for me to drink this.

I love Sam Adams, so I hate to rag. However, I still regret this beer. To each his own.

vishneda, Sep 21, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a light copper color with small white head that fades quickly.

S: Big cherry aroma, with wheat and grainy notes. The cherries definitely dominate.

T: Sweet upfront with a big blast of cherries and carmel malt. Finishes bready with a very small touch of hops.

M: Light to medium bodied with ample carbonation. Finishes a little dry.

D: This beer isn't as bad as people make it out to be. The cherries give it a nice balance of sweet and tart. Not something I would drink everyday, but a decent beer.

JMD, Sep 20, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy, apricot color, with a smallish head that shrinks even further into whitish film floating on the top. Quite a bit of lacing going on as well. It's not a bad-looking brew. Smell is definitely of cherries; it masks almost everything else. You really have to breathe deep to find the malt nuances, because that's all there is: lots of cherry and just a teensy bit of maltiness. I didn't mind the smell at all, I actually really like it.

Unfortunately, that's way more than I can say for the taste. There's an immediate metallic taste that washes over the tongue and overpowers the palate. The cherry is far more subdued than in the smell and is not balanced well with the harshness of the taste. Not really hoppy at all as there is little to no bitterness. There's a bready finish that is characteristic of most wheat beers, and I'm sure it would taste better if I could actually get past the flavoring of metal. As it stands, the coarse taste lingers well into the aftertaste and drowns out pretty much any enjoyment out off the beer. I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or if this is what the brew is suppose to taste like, but I know I don't like it very much at all. Mouthfeel is decent, average carbonation that does its job.

I don't really know why anyone would drink more than one of these. Sure, it smells great, but the taste certainly disappoints. A sweet-smelling brew but terribly unbalanced taste-wise. You'd be better off with a kriek if you want some cherry in your beer.

r0nyn, Sep 20, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

This somewhat hazy straw-colored beer has a nice dense very white head atop it. The nose is dominated by cherries, but it smells more like cherry syrup than actual cherries. Highly sweet flavor, resembling cherry cough syrup, and little else of note. Bleagh.

I was in the mood for a cherry beer, but I picked the wrong one with this offering. I love cherries and have brewed with them myself on occasion. This is not a good cherry beer, by any measurement.

allengarvin, Sep 19, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance- gold color, cloudy

Smell- cherry, wheat

Taste- cherry

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- really good, exceptional cherry flavor, will drink again, my girlfriend couldn't really handle it so she gave me hers which I certainly did not refuse.

jeffjeff1, Sep 18, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +18.2%

I was dreading drinking this and put if off for as long as I could. Now that I cracked one open it’s not nearly what I was expecting. I was thinking of some red tinted abomination of a fruit beer that was overly sweet and tasted like corn syrup.

Instead I got a nice, straw colored beer with a little tint of red, nice head and great flavor. This has your typical wheat beer flavor with some undertones of cherry and a little sweet/tartness. Very drinkable, not amazing, but not horrible.

~Jonathan Passow

imaguitargod, Sep 16, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours with a fluffy 1/2 inch head, lots of lacing. Moderately strong aroma of cherries in the nose. Taste is crisp with an upfront tartness from the cherries. The cherry flavor dominates the taste, but the malt makes it presence known on the back of the initial cherry flavor. More tart than sweet, a pretty refreshing beer on a hot day. I could only drink one or two of these before moving on to something else.

LarryV, Sep 14, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured with a fairly large-sized, white head that dissipated to 1/2-finger size while drinking. Body is slightly hazy with a nice orange color.

S: Whewf... I was expecting cherry, obviously, but this is quite STRONG cherry. Very sweet-smelling, like cherry candy. I'm a little wary about the taste.

T: However, the taste isn't as expected. There's cherry in there, and as a whole the beer is moderately sweet, but NOT as sweet as I had expected from the smell. Crisp, sweet finish that doesn't become cloying in the mouth.

M: Light-bodied, yet a slightly creamy texture. Average carbonation.

D: Wasn't too impressed with the aroma, but otherwise this is a fairly-enjoyable beer that would be even better on a hot day. I couldn't drink more than one or two, as the sweetness may become too much.

berley31, Sep 11, 2009
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)