Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

A: The beer pours an amber color with a short lived off-white head to go with it.

S: Smells like cherries, big time cherries. It's pretty much like a jar of maraschino cherries, but it's enjoyable. The more I smell it, the better I like the cherry character that's there. Not really much else going on in terms of the aroma.

T: The cherry flavor is nowhere near as prominent as the cherry aroma, but it is there. There is a surprising creaminess and an almost vanilla flavor. Sweet wheat and bread are actually noticeable on the palate.

M: Medium in body with a moderate level of carbonation that is nice and smooth.

D: I guess I wouldn't be pounding down a 12 pack of this, but it's not a bad beer to have once every so often.

womencantsail, Feb 13, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -11.2%

From random notes: Pours a slightly hazy dark golden with a small but lasting white head that leaves some lacing. Aroma of cherry cough syrup and light notes of wheat. Taste is the same as aroma. Medium thin mouthfeel with a mild amount of bitterness. Like drinking watered down cherry cough syrup. Not a good beer for me.

CuriousMonk, Feb 09, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Wispy, fizzy head, that continues to stick around due to the active carbonation. Light amber in color. Not quite as hazy as I would expect a wheat beer to be.

S: SWEET! Cherries and more cherries. But not like a real cherry scent, it is too sweet smelling for that. Almost like an imitation cherry flavor. Nonetheless, if you like cherries you will like the way this beer smells.

T: As expected, more cherry, but the taste is the first time that I actually detect that this is a beer. I couldn't smell anything beer-like, but with the first taste I tasted cherry up front, followed by just the right amount of wheaty maltiness to bring this beer back to reality.

M: Nice carbonation. Clean feeling.

D: I really like this beer, and it is easy to drink. That being said I normally don't drink more than one these at a time. I think the sweetness can be a bit too much.

This was my last Cherry Wheat left, and probably will be the last one that I'll have for quite a while. This has been a beer that I have almost always kept on hand, however I think that there are probably better options out there. While I won't be buying anymore in the near future, I certainly wouldn't pass one up if it were available.

dali27, Feb 05, 2011
3.13/5  rDev 0%

Poured on tap into a pint glass.

Since I didn't pour it myself, head is barely a finger of white but manages to leave a simple collar throughout while drinking. Body is fairly clear and clean of a simple light gold with some visible carbonation. No lacing to speak of.

Bouquet is an overly dominant smell of supermarket from the jar artificial neon red maraschino cherries. The fake stuff, not real cherries. No biscuit aroma, no hops no nothing. It's an overwhelming artificial smell as if you just cracked open the lid. Since it's named Cherry wheat I give it props, but since I hate fake cherries with a passion, I am also not pleased therefore it gets middle of the road for smell.

Taste. Overall not too bad, the biscuit and bread isn't really in the taste until you swallow then there's a bit of bread chew on the swallow. Body is very solid and not too wet either. It is once again overwhelmingly a fake cherry fruit and very sugar sweet.

If that cherry "type" of smell and taste is your thing you'll love this beer. For me though it isn't that great cause I prefer real fruit taste and this isn't it. But it does have characteristics of a solid wheat ale almost and that makes it at least drinkable.

smakawhat, Feb 05, 2011

Pours a hazy amber red body. The only thing i'm going to enjoy about this review because i've had this before and i'm pretty sure this particular bottle isn't going to change my mind. Anyway, hazy amber red body which I actually, with a white fizzy head that soon fizzles away to thin lace.

Smells like robatusin or some kind of artaficial cherry extract.

Taste's worste than it smells. I can't taste anything other than carbonated cherry flavored cough syrup. Pretty rough.

Mouthfeel sucks. Just like being forced to take some cough syrup, you scramble for a cup of water to wash your mouth out. I hate this beer. I don't throw around the work hate too often but I hate this beer. Don't ever drink this.

Stockfan42, Feb 03, 2011

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint glass. It pours a light copper color with about one finger's worth of head that. Leaves a little lacing on the glass.

The aroma is of cherries. Sweet, tart cherries and it's too strong for my liking. Some nice wheat smells come through at the end, but it's hard to reach them through all that cherry.

Luckily, the taste is not quite as cherry-centric as the aroma, but it's still too sweet with cherry for my liking. It does have a decent wheat beer taste to it, but in my opinion it's just too sweet.

Does have a decent mouthfeel with good carbonation and the nice wheat feel to it.

I'll be the first to admit that fruit beers are not usually my thing so it would be something special for me to want to continue drinking one. I am not sure I could force myself to drink another one of these.

3rdRowTailgater, Jan 28, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a deep reddish orange color. One finger white head that shows medium retention. Web style lacing on the sides of the glass with a lot of it flaling back into the beer.

S- Wheat aroma comes in the front of the nose with a light bready tone as well. Tart cherries come through next which are a little off putting to be honest. Light grainy underbody to this beer with hint of fruity darker malt.

T- Boat load of a fake cherry flavor from the get go. I mean a lot. This kind of overtakes most of the flavor of the beer. Middle of the beer has some darker fruity malts. Wheat comes in the ending of the beer with a medicinal alcohol flavor. The alcohol is a little off putting to be honest.

M- Medium light mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little light for the beer I thought. Cherry flavors and some light wheat flavors left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly cherry, medicinal alcohol, and light wheat. Flavors were a little off putting with cherry dominating everything. No real off flavors besides the medicinal alcohol taste. Medium drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This beer is a little more off putting than great tasting. Alcohol in this is more than enough and lingers well into the aftertaste. The ABV is low enough to enjoy but the alcohol and fake cherry taste I can not get past.

alleykatking, Jan 24, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +28.8%

Nice. This is one of favorite everyday beers. It has a nice light/medium golden color with light haziness. The scent is evidently noted with cherries. I love this scent. I personally find that it's not overwhelming or too sweet a smell. The taste was at first a bit disappointing because I expected a much sweeter beer, but as I continued to drink, I realized that I really enjoyed the beer because the cherry scent lingers in the mouth and nose. It's not too sweet or bitter. It has a good balance. It has medium carbonation, which gives it a good mouth feel. Bottom line is that it is highly drinkable.

GRADE: B+/A

negroobserver, Jan 19, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -13.7%

#65. Yet another Samuel Adams. Strange summery find for the current winter season, this beer is very hit-or-miss depending on whether you like cherries in your face or not. The beer is quite predictable in a way. It was very, very interesting to say in the least.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Pours a three-finger depth fizzy head. Retention is average; it's dying rather quickly but holds off for some time at the surface, leaving behind a mat of foamy cover and some sticky lacing draping the sides. Color ranges from some medium golds to some pumpkin orange tones. The beer is super cloudy, clearly unstrained. I see very little carbonation action going on in here; if there is anything, it's too small to see. Nothing groundbreaking, but it could look far worse. 3.5

(Smell) Very sweet cherries. They're easy to pick out too, as they are the most dominant smell in this beer. It is harder to tell whether this cherry scent comes from the real thing or rather some less-favorable syrupy grenadine added into the mix during the brewing process. Beyond the cherry scents are some medium basic wheat tones which fortunately come through in discernible numbers. That's the essentials; it pretty much alludes to its name well. Not much else in here to touch on. No hops, spices nor extra grains. A basic but by no means atrocious aroma. 3

(Taste) The continuation of cherry rules the entirety of the drink. Straight up I get some cherry tart that seems genuine that blends into a wheat mesh with some artificial, nearly cherry, maybe black cherry kool-aid flavor (certainly far from authentic), followed by a mellow cherry bomb that drags onward for some time. The lingering finish is reminiscent of cherry based fruit snacks in obscene quantities. Pleasant perhaps only on select days, this is almost too cherry heavy for me. While the wheat makes it's presence known, the balance is too far off. I'd have preferred to see the roles of the cherry and the wheat reversed for something far more subtle. The taste is becoming tedious and more challenging to endure as I progress on. My biggest concern is that it is the general sweetness of the brew, which is really over-the-top. Hoping for a revamp that brings the sweet taste down several notches and throws some tart genuine cherry, some extras and maybe more wheat presence. Cherries anyone? This might just be your beer. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) A light-medium body blend. Awkwardly smooth, almost flat. There really should be more action going on, possibly some tartness or bitterness pulling at my tongue... but almost nothing comes forth. Very smooth and easy to drink, but paired with the already droning super sweet cherry taste, it's only multiplying the hit-or-miss effect this beer may have on its consumers. 3

(Drinkability) For its light body and fair ABV it is pretty drinkable in larger quantities, but that barely overshadows the superiority of the cherry bomb that may immediately turn the drinker away. It's really a consumer-to-consumer basis for determining whether this is something worthy of a second round. It tastes borderline like a soda with grenadine. In my case, I'm somewhat glad I have just one; I don't think I could handle another. 2.5

Verdict: Best taken with a grain of salt... or a basket of cherries, I suppose. Nothing subtle about this beer, it's very straightforward. What you see on the label is what you get in the taste, which is pretty nice if you enjoy predictability. The overall super sweet taste was a turn away for me in addition to the lack of any complexities that might distinguish this beer from... Cherry Coca-cola and some wheat. Don't get me wrong; Definitely worth a go no matter who you are in the beer field, but I found several notable flaws that will make it difficult for me to return to this beer anytime soon. C (2.85)

Jadjunk, Jan 18, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +5.4%

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a golden brown with a nice white head and decent lacing. Lots of cherries right off the bat, the wheat aromas take a backseat. Taste pretty good, once again, lots of cherries. The wheat characteristics come more into play in the taste. Pretty sweet flavors, but not over the top. Mouthfeel is creamy, but slightly thin. I wish there was more body to it. Drinkability isn't bad, the flavors will keep you coming back, but the sweetness can take its' toll. Tasty and intersting beer.

This is a beer that I feel is below me, but it really is good! Sometimes I'll tell myself this beer isn't anything special, but it kind of is. Definitely one of Sam Adams' better year-round offerings.

BB1313, Jan 18, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

The only two good things I can say about this beer are that it has a nice amount of wheat in it and it has a decent color. I hate beers that skimp out on the wheat when they say they are in fact wheat beers. This beer does not skimp out, but that's about all it has going for it. The taste and the smell are just bombarded with cherry's, the taste even more than the smell. It's almost to the point where you don't want to drink it, but at the same time it's just cherry's, so it isn't THAT horrible. It just didn't really taste like much of a beer, more like a cherry soda. Just not a very good beet in my book.

MaltsOfGlory, Jan 13, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

When I opened this, I was amazed at just how much this beer smelled like sweet cherries. Honestly, it was like grenadine. As it opened up, a more tart aspect appeared, but it was still a fairly sweet nose.

Poured a cloudy, amber color in the glass with a fair head.

The taste was not quite as powerful. The dominant taste is indeed cherries. Again though, the taste is of a fairly sweet maraschino cherry character. I am not sure why I expected more of a tart flavor, but this one does not meet that expectation. This flavor is the body of the beer, with a small bit of wheat on the finish. Hops don't really play a role in this one.

Honestly, it tastes a lot like a basic lager with cherry juice in it. Not that it is a bad thing, though. It is pretty tasty, even if it is rather simple. It gets my stamp of approval.

NODAK, Jan 09, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Had this on tap at the Newark airport, waiting for my flight back to Toronto. I knew this didn't have the best ratings, but the other selections were a couple other Sam Adams, plus typical macro lagers. Pours a pinkish-orange colour with thin white head. Smells of very sweet artificial cherry, similar to cherry candy. Some faint wheat aroma is there too. Quite a sweet flavour. Medium body carbonation. Easy to drink beer, just too sweet to have more than one in a row.

kwjd, Jan 09, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +39.9%

This is one of the first beers that got me into going outside the BMC pack. Always have a soft spot for the cherry wheat.

A - Pours orange and clear.

S - Very nice cherry smell. Also has a great wheat smell, like fresh bread.

T - Just love the taste. Sweet with cherry taste.

M - Light bodied, and not too bitter a finish. Minimal carbonation.

D - Extremely drinkable. Many an event has ended with lots of empty bottles of cherry wheat.

Just a big fan of this one.

socon67, Jan 06, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +32.6%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. label notched at May 2011 for best taste.

a - Pours a nice reddish/mohogany color with one finger of nice white head with a bit of lacing and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells of cherries, wheat, bread, and fruity malts. Not as over-poweringly sweet as other berry& cherry brews I've tried.

t - Tastes of cherries, wheat, grain, bread, fruits. Does not taste like a sweet, syrupy soda like some others of tried. Kind of a nice dry finish.

m - Light body and high carbonation that tickles the tongue. Refreshing...

d - Very high drinability,not too sweet. The smell does not over-power the flavor as some berry/cherry/fruity brews do. Low ABV makes it easy to have a few and continue to function. I had 2 while preparing dinner...then 2 more with dinner. This beer went suprisingly well with a roasted herb chicken(cranberry sauce on the side), roasted potatoes & mixed veggies.
Then I had one with a slice of chocolate cake...delicious!

I found Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat tobe a versatile beer. Sweet enough to function as a dessert beer, but enough of all the the other things that make a wheat beer enjoyable!

MetalandBeer, Jan 04, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

From 12/26/10 notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a murky golden brown color with one finger of fluffy white head with no retention and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of very sweet cherries, wheat, bready malts, and fruity malts. Way too sweet smelling for me.

t - Tastes of sweet cherries, wheat, grain, bready malts, fruity malts, and some metallic notes. Something off here with the metallic taste.

m - Light body and high carbonation that stings the tongue.

d - Ok but too sweet in the smell and don't like the metal in the taste. Also way too carbonated. Not Sam Adams best work, wouldn't look to have this one again.

mdfb79, Dec 30, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +34.2%

From bottle to glass

A: Cloudy dark orange with small off white head with a little lacing.

S: Strong cherries. Sweet in smell and enveloping...

T: Sweet cherries and wheat. Bright, fruity, with a sweet background. The wheat taste is there blended well with the cherries.

M: Clean and refreshing finish. Nice carbonation.

D: Crisp and clean.A great combination of wheat and cherries.

mvmalesci, Dec 29, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Champions. Oh yeah, the Ravens beat the Saints!

A: The ale is cloudy, a coppery light color that looks heavy with sediment. That sediment leaves the ale opaque despite the lighter hue. A finger of white head accompanies the beer.

S: The nose has sweet cherry juice that dominates all other aspects. The fruits reign supreme and what little wheat escapes is bready rather than tart.

T: The ale practically screams out 'Cherry Juice'. That sweetness, a tempered flavor, semi-sweet and lacking a syrupy twang, isn't as bad as you'd think. Objectively, it comes close to cloying but, just as it does, the wheat rides in to save the day. The flavor, sweet with a bready flavor that doesn't come close to wheat tartness, isn't half bad, especially if one is in the mood for a fruit beer.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet, full of sweet cherry juices. The malt body is thick, an able support for the cherries.

D: Very drinkable and lower in alcohol. Not a go-to fruit beer but drinkable enough.

akorsak, Dec 19, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +24%

Pours into a golden body with a whit head that has good retention and decent lacing, carbonation is decent in this beer. The smell is a very strong cherry flavor along with some wheat, and yeast. The taste is a strong cherry taste that stays from beginning until the end along with some hints of wheat, yeast, hops, a little citrus, and some banana at the end. It has a creamy smooth mouthfeel with a little stickiness and it is a drinkable beer, but not as drinkable as I'd like it to be since it is a beer that is filling compared to others I recently tried. This is a good beer to check out if your in the mood for a cherry flavored brew.

DannyDan, Dec 16, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -19.2%

my sister just gifted me a 6 of winter lager, with 2 bottles switched out for cherry wheat to 'mix it up a bit' -
looks ok on the pour - clear-ish golden with a 2 finger right white fizzy head -
i have to admit that i'm drinking this at a bit warmer than it should be served, but...
yeow! the aroma of cherries? - yeah the marashino type as well as
cherry flavored lollipops - this smell is overwhelming and remains so with every sip -
the taste follows the nose and the cherry flavor is just awful - there isn't much more here, if there is the fake cherry flavor masks it all -
light bodied and crisp on the pallette -
man, i had to force this one down and need to move onto something else quickly to get the lingering cherry taste out -
makes cranberry lambic look like a champ!
if i have the second bottle it'll have to be ice cold,

** edit - ok , i've had the second bottle at proper temp - only a marginal difference for the better -

JoeBloe, Dec 12, 2010
3.28/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Foggy golden with decent head retention.
S: Wheat beer breadiness with a sort of cherry pie filling smell.
T: More cherry, but less sweet cherry, than the smell suggested, sweet biscuity taste which is nice.
M: Highly carbonated, I probably should have poured more aggressively. Medium feel otherwise.
D: Gets to be too sweet towards the last of the bottle, definitely wouldn't drink more than one in a row. Still a pretty good beer though.

deadliest, Dec 12, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +8%

A - This beer pours a nice dark golden color. It has a decent white head that left just a little bit of lacing on the glass. There is suspended yeast visible.

S - It smells of real cherries. There are some other fruity notes as well as some wheat breadiness. There is also just a touch of hops present.

T - The taste is a lot like the nose suggests. Cherries are the dominant flavor. There are also some bready malts and citrus present. The finish is citrusy, and it has some hop bitterness.

M - This has a light body with high crisp carbonation. It goes down pretty easy, and has a clean finish.

D - The drinkability is decent. It goes down fairly easy. This is a decent beer, but if I wanted a cherry beer there are a lot of better ones out there to choose from. Worth a try though.

JizackFH, Dec 11, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +25.6%

12oz bottle pulled from the fridge poured into whatever dinner/ pint glass i had available. got this at a friends house.

pours a hazy golden pale color with a decent looking white head. average retention with spotty lace, but it eventually faded to nothing.

very nice aroma of merochino cherries, just a touch medicinal. thats about all i get.

big doses of merochino cherries that again are just a little bit medeicinal, but still enjoyable. just a touch of wheaty malt. the taste is a little overbearing and artificial at times, but very tasty non the less.

light in body, with a slightly bitey carbonation.

this drinks pretty good, but it is definatly a chick beer. i, being a guy, still very much so enjoyed this. i dont go out of my way to buy this, but when its offered, i never refuse.

dogfishandi, Dec 05, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +34.2%

Head is pretty much nil.
Aroma is amazing with the hint of cherry, of course.
Beautiful amber color and pours well. Not quite a lambic, but similar. Easily one of the best American flavored beers Ive ever had. Sam Adams comes through yet again. Without a doubt, Boston Beer Co is the best American brewery.

ronniebruner, Dec 05, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +49.5%

Appearance - Amber in color. Head was almost non existent.

Smell - Strong cherry smell but not enough to make it overwhelming.

Taste - Very sweet beer. The cherry is faint until the finish where it picks up.

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated.

Drinkability - Despite the cherry flavor it's easy to keep drinking. Great fall beer.

TheJones, Dec 04, 2010
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)