Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured int Sam Adams Sensory Glass.

Pours a very small fizzy head. Some lace rings. Color is slightly hazy. Golden orange.

Aroma: very simple: cough syrup and that is about it.

Taste: Dried cherries, wheat of course. A very tarty beer.

Mouthfeel is light bodied. Smooth easy drinking beer. Ends with a dry cherry aftertaste.

Overall, there are just way too many cherries in this beer. If they toned it down a bit, I would be able to have another, but not at this rate. This could maybe be an alright summer beer.

mothman, May 04, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -29.7%

I know a lot of people that really enjoy this beer, but I can say I'm definitely not one of them. It pours very yellow, with a thin head that disappears very quickly and leaves almost no lacing. I can smell a bit of wheat, but the aroma is dominated by a thick cherry scent, almost more like a soda than a beer. The taste follows suit, with the up front chery flavor dominating every sip. For people who love a lot of fruit flavor in their beers, this would be perfect. After one of these I did not want another.

HURTemHIZZY, May 02, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +21.4%

Certainly not the best wheat beer out there, but its got a lot of good things going for it. Yellow, but not a corn yellow, more the color of sand on a summer day on the northeast coast. Not much head retention, and a definite chill haze. Smells like cherry cough drops, and wheat (nice). Tastes a lot different than a lot of other wheat beers. It has very up front tastes of fruit, but its not exclusively cherry. I really do enjoy the way it lacks dryness, and instead provides an single intent. This beer wanted to be cherry... and it most certainly is. I could drink a couple of these on a nice summer day, and feel I spent my hard earned money on a respectable brew.

rodney45, May 02, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -22.7%

A = Light amber color, slightly opaque. Served in Frosted glass mug. Nice head, which faded after a bout a minute in the glass It did leave some nice lacing in the glass.

S = Very "Cherry". So much so I am reminded of Cherry Ice cream. I can barely sense hops or grains.

T = Very sweet on the palate, though the cherry flavor does seem a bit more natural than the smell. Like the smell, the cherry covers up nearly all traces of gops and grain, except for the aftertaste. There is a nice little bit of bitterness in that aftertaste, but is mixed in with a cherry cough medicine undertone which is off putting.

M = Nice tingle from small bubbles, not "soda-pop" like carbonation. It is rather light on the palate. Not much else though

D = I would say this is definitely an after dinner beer. It is so sweet you could serve it with some waffle cones or honey graham crackers and it would actually go rather well. Other than that, I don't know what it would go with. The cherry is so overpowering that it does mask the grain and hops to a great degree. Serve to someone interested in changing up from wine coolers or cocktails who is not familiar with good brew.

Bigfatbino, Apr 24, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Best by August 2009.

Nice head retention and fluffy lacing, which works its way all the way down the glass. Mildly hazy even after emptying the sediment. Really would look better with a thicker, cloudier appearance. Doesn't resemble any weizen. Visible carbonation.

Cherries and cherries, and uh, cherries. It smells pretty good, but incredibly singularly focused. Nothing beery about the aroma.

And dark cherry is the predominant flavor. It's a pretty good flavor, and it doesn't strike me as artificial. It's not overly sweet, and it has a bit of acidic tartness. I think it tastes good. Many will frown at the overly fruity character and lack of "beeriness", but if SA was aiming to make this exact product, and they hit the mark, it's hard to slam it. Has a bit of a wheat twang in the back and really no observable hop character, perhaps a very slight grassiness.

It's pretty smooth, with unobtrusive carbonation, and a medium light body, which is fine for what the beer is trying to be. You'd be expecting better from a hefeweizen.

This is not a bad change of pace beer. I could have two in a sitting, but I don't think I'd go for more than that. It's got a niche I'm sure, being affordable, and probably a tasty alternative for girls and BMC drinkers. Starts to get tiresome rather quick, unfortunately, maybe as a result of being too flavorful, especially compared to wheats like 312 or Blue Moon. It easily could have had half as much cherry flavor, and it still would have been plenty.

ommegoose, Apr 23, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -38.3%

In a Walmart mexican beer festival, i found this and another three beers from jim koch, this is like a "tutsi pop flavor" a llolipop famous in my country, bad for me.

I try this with guacamole, and panela cheese, poured in a pint glass, for appreciatte its colors and carbonations.

65% recommended.

tesguino, Apr 21, 2009
3.35/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It pours a golden/straw color that is fairly clear with some carbonation visible. A 1/4 inch almost white head forms and sits there throughout most of the beverage.

The aroma is as expected with some earthy and malty sweetness up front followed by a level of cherry that will stay with you as the primary aroma throughout.

The taste also has some malty sweetness followed by a stronger level of cherry. It is interesting because it almost tastes like a cherry soda.

The mouthfeel is a light/medium body. A fair level of carbonation is present and there is a creaminess to the way it goes down. Some cherry stickiness lingers.

Overall, this is an alright beer. It is a bit too heavy on the cherries for me because they don't feel well balanced with the actual beer. Worth a try but I will probably not seek it out.

SykDoc, Apr 19, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +55.9%

Fantastic. It looks great when you pour it out. When you give it a whiff you get a burst of wonderful cherry aroma. Then when you take your first sip you get that same burst of cherry flavor that you expected as soon as you smelled it. Then you get a wonderful light, crisp beer flavor that complements the cherry flavor fantastically. I could pound these all day long.

NeoMoose, Apr 19, 2009
1.33/5  rDev -57.5%

I am no expert but I know what I like and this beer is definitely not what I like. In appearance it is good ,nice cherry red and oakish brown blend,but beer is meant to be imbibed,not merely seen. It starts with the aroma. It smells and tastes like the cherry cough syrup my mother used to make me drink.This beer is so repulsive I am shocked that a major brewing company like sam adams(which has other beers I do like) could put something so horrible into the market. I had to ask my waitress for a different beer as I could not actually finish this beer. I was thinking maybe the bar I was at (stone face tavern ,abq NM) had served me yet another stale or spoiled beer (unfortunately a common problem with beers on tap in Albuquerque bars) but then I read a review from another guy on BA who said the same thing! Maybe I am breaking the rule of being constructive but I'm sorry there is no saving this beer or considering what the brew master was going for,this beer is nasty! I like cherries and I like beer but I would sooner drink pond scum than another sam adams cherry wheat.

padraig1775, Apr 18, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -21.7%

A- The pours a deep amber color with a nice off-white head.

S- Has a nice wheat and subtle cherry scent to it.

T- Definitely not impressed with the brew. The cherry flavor is overwhelming and fake tasting. It honestly tasted like cherry cough syrup to me.

M- Somewhat syrupy but was still kind of light, nice carbonation too, but the flavor is too distracting.

D- I struggled to finish the first one, the flavor is just beyond repulsive. I like fruit beers and all but this just taste like the most fake fruit flavor ever concocted.

The distaste with the brew is obviously isolated to a small minority of beer enthusiasts, myself included. I recognize that many people enjoy this beer but I just can't seem to.

Cheers to all who enjoyed!

-Dotson

dotsonjamesg, Apr 11, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

Bought a sixer of this because my buddy's mom kept raving about how great it was. Poured a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A- Pretty haha. Amber/Reddish-Brown, Great Looking Cream Colored Head

S- Smells like cherries and beer to say the least.

T- I wasn't too impressed by this beer. I drank 2 out of the 6 and stopped because the taste started to overwhelm me. Tasted like someone dropped a Marciano cherry into a wheat beer and shook it

M- Thick, kind of syrupy, not too too bad, didn't want to swish this around much because it kept making my mouth dry

D- Fail. Like I said, I could only down 2 of these, and I was pushing it on the second one. I like complexities, but I enjoy trying to find them in the beer, this beer was to predictable

Overall- Decent beer, not a bad idea to give it a shot. I would probably drink it again, especially if it was on tap somewhere, I bet it would be better that way.

BaerBeer, Apr 10, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +38.3%

Appearance: Pours an amber color, a little cloudy. Formed a thick white head, but little lacing.

Smell: Nice cherry aroma

Taste: This is an aptly named beer. I tasted the cherries as it first hit my tongue, then the wheat kicked in.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp.

Drinkability: One of my favorite Samuel Adams beers. I can easily drink several of these in short order. Very nice on a hot summer day.

JKrout, Apr 09, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

Good pour. Thin but sticky head.
This beer has a good mix of cherry and wheat flavor.
There is a hint of cherry here but not balanced nor impressive.
It is however, a delicious session beer for a hot spring day. Very drinkable with a little bit of taste to keep it different.

ThaBobfather, Apr 06, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-nice color a yellowish tan

S- very sweet with hints of cherry to the nose

T- Sweet and lots of cherry .. wheat was used just right

M- A nice smooth medium body mouthful, with good amount of carbonation.

D- no more than 2 with an after diner drink.. can over power what meal you have

njthebestofme, Apr 01, 2009

Poured a hazy gold with a decent head that retains a very nice lace. Nose is heavy cherry aroma with little wheat. Taste is crisp and dry with some cherry flavor and bitterness. Refreshing but not what to get when looking for a beer. Worth a try though

barleywinefiend, Mar 28, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: A slightly hazy, golden-amber colored body with a massive and sticky off-white head. Great lacing.

Aroma: An overabundance of candy-like cherry. Some definite wheaty beer underneath, but the balance is out of whack.

Taste: The cherry flavor is certainly in the spotlight here and almost reminds me of cherry cough syrup. Underneath, there's a firmly subservient and very average wheat body. Sweet, but not too cloying. Lingering aftertaste of cherries.

Mouthfeel: A medium-light body with sharp carbonation.

Drinkability: If you're not put off by the strong cherry flavor, rather good drinkability.

Verdict: As wrong as it seems, there is something pleasant about the cherry flavor. However, it still seems much better suited to the candy world than the beer world. This is a very strange beer, and I find it hard to rate. All I can really say is that while I certainly don't love it, I don't absolutely hate it either. I suppose that makes it average.

BeanBone, Mar 25, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +23%

A solid selection. Much better than the cranberry lambic. Beer has a cherry flavor with still maintaining the characteristics of beer. Beer is very light and can hold its own vs. many wheat beers without added flavoring. The color is rich. The aroma isn't that great, but is still solid.

goblue3509, Mar 02, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +34.8%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat has become one of my favorite beers from tap, and every time I'm at my local Buffalo Wild Wings, its always my first choice.

Appearance- Pours well from what I could see, the bartender was in the way (probably wasn't a beeradvocate!!). The head was thin, but kept throughout glass, and had a little wisp, which common to most wheat beers.

Smell- Though artificial, I do enjoy the cherry smell that comes with the beer. Sam Adams beers are known, as least according to my palate, for their distinct smells, and I can usually pick a Sam out of a crowd. The cherry does overpower any traditional beer smell though.

Taste- Being a huge fan of wheat beers, I fell in love with this brew and I still hold in high regard among my wheat beer scale. The cherry masks any initial bitterness, and the aftertaste is calm and doesn't linger.

Mouthfeel- As with most wheat beers, a smooth drink is apparent, and the cherry only makes things easier

Drinkability- I find the first and second glasses to be sufficient for myself, because the cherry does become overwhelming as you drink more and more of it. Went extremely well with the burger and fries I had.

mikeal1917, Mar 02, 2009
3.13/5  rDev 0%

The color is a cloudy amber with light reddish hues. Head retention isn't amazing, but it's not bad. Lacing is moderate.

The smell is undeniably cherry, though no sickeningly so. There's also the hint of wheat and hops.

The taste is more of wheat than one would expect, and the cherry is a nice compliment. I've had this one before when the cherry seemed more of a sickly maraschino flavor than natural, but this is better. There's just a slight sourness on a dry finish that seems at odds with the sweetness, though natural.

The body is fairly light with low carbonation. It's thin, but not so thin as to seem watery.

Brenden, Feb 27, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a hazy amber-orange color. The head is half and inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of cherry cough drops, and nothing else. The taste is a little more beery, but it is still dominated by cherry cough drops. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this beer is too much like medicine for me too like. I can't see myself drinking thins again.

KarlHungus, Feb 20, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -13.7%

Sampled on Feb. 16, 2009 on tap at a Ruby Tuesday restaurant. It pours a bubbly pale-yellow with a small amount of off-white head. The carbonation is constant. Any evidence of malts or hops are immediately drowned out by the ovepowering cherry and fruity scents. It's just way too much for me. The mouthfeel is of medium texture. The flavor is like cherry Kool-Aid but more sour or tart. I think I caught a tiny bit of hops but it is really indistinguishable from that cherry taste. Subtlety would have been the better route for this brew. Not all that great.

puboflyons, Feb 16, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +40.6%

A- This pours a hazy wheat color but also has hints of orange and even a very slight pink touch. The foam head is nice and eventually tapers down to a thin creamy topping. Moderate lacing is noticable and I can see some moderate carbonation.

S- This smells of fresh bing cherries, but not overpowering. There is also the typical citrus notes....I smell freshly squeezed lemon especially, and sweet malts, which I'm sure are being enhanced by the cherry aromas. Great!

T- This is one great tasting beer! It reminds me of eating fresh cherries on a summer day, but at the same time provides that clean, refreshing tartness that I love about wheat beers. Good malt flavors and just a hint of hop bitterness on the finish helps to round this out nicely!

M- Good creamy feel on the palate and the carbonation is modest, which really allows the flavor to come through well. This has a nice medium body and lets a person really reflect on what they are drinking.

D- I will be sure to purchase a larger quantity of this whenever I get the chance. I would love to enjoy this over an evening with friends and can foresee some good times ahead with this one! Great patio beer! I highly recommend this one for a beginner or for veterans who like something different now and again!

ChrisCage, Feb 11, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

A - Cloudy light yellow with a hint of orange. Fluffy white head that retained fairly well. Lighter carbonation.

S - Cherries, with a slight sour wheat smell. Not cherry syrup, but more like dried cherries.

T - Nice clean dried cherry taste, with a slightly sour note. Well balanced taste between classic wheat and cherries.

M - Lighter mouthfeel, average for a wheat beer.

D - Great drinkability, especially of this taste is what you are looking for. This beer is well balanced and easily drinkable. Not a "stand out" wow beer, but nice and easy to drink with some high points.

BravoTwo, Feb 08, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance: Very pale amber with fluffy white head, honestly not as much carbonation as I expect from a wheat.

Smell: All cherries, nothing but cherries.

Taste: Kinda tastes like a cherry coke gone wrong.

Mouthfeel: Very light

Drinkability: I guess that if you liked that taste you could down 20 of these due to the light feel, I however...1 is more than enough.

Notes: Better than the Cranberry Lambic, so it's got that going for it.

BigIrishman, Feb 08, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance- Clear light brown.

Aroma- Cherries, very faint hop in the back.

Pallet- Delicious. Some may think it's an over abundance of cherry. I liked it though. I thought Jim did a good on balancing this ale flavor.

Finish- Strong cherry a again. On the very end of the finish hop comes in.

Guzzle Factor Per Style- Drinks well. Sam Adams hops always bights a little.

Texture- Ale like

Extra: Again a very strong cherry. When they call it cherry wheat they where not kidding. But I liked it. The abundance of cherry made for an easy quencher.

ProfessorHops, Feb 04, 2009
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)