Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +28.8%

Appearance 4.5: Nice redish golden color, with an initial finger width of head, with fairly standard head retention and moderate lacing. Overall very nice appearance

Smell 4.0: Cherry aroma extremely evident, which almost completely overwhelms any standard beer odor

Taste 4.0: Much like its smell, cherry flavor is particarly obvious, but doesn't take away from a distinct wheat flavor. Aftertaste is what is mainly appealing, and grew on me since the initial mouthful.

Mouthful 4.0 : Carbonation is standard and none of its qualities are fairly overhwhelming

Drinkability 4.0: Could very easily drink several of these in one sitting. Compared to other beer, Cherry Wheat is very drinkable and I would recommend it.

TXAggie, Apr 26, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a golden color that leaves a 1 1/2 finger head that leaves a nice amount of lacing. The smell is mostly cherries. Very very sweet, Im not sure if im picking up on just the cherry sweetness or a little bit of malt sweetness. The taste is pretty much all cherry also, with a small bit of hop bitterness. A very light beer, yet fairly flavorful. The only thing i have against it is its extreme sweetness. The mouthfeel is nice as is the drinkability.

mjw2808, Apr 21, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

I should note that I'm never a big fan of fruit-flavored beers. I do enjoy O'Fallon's peach, but I was very disappointed by this.

Doesn't look too bad, but this beer smells and tastes like artificial cherry flavor. Mouthfeel is average, decent body.

No way I could drink more than one of these a night. This is not what "cherry" beer should taste like.

ch473, Apr 17, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Good foam and lacing action. Holds kind of a golden-orange appearance. Yeah. It's good.

Smell: Cherries. Cherries. And...um...I forgot...CHERRIES! One of the strongest beers, at least from Sam Adams. Very clear that this is made with cherries, which shouldn't be earth-shattering. It's not that complex and is kind of bitter.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Again...cherries. Very bitter actually, but not gross. The lack of complexity though makes this flavor the key aspect to this beer.

Drinkability: Honestly, the taste would get to me after a while and I would need a more palate-cleansing taste.

Overall: It's an average beer. I do like the cherries but this needs something else. Not hops, but maybe malts.

tjsdomer2, Apr 14, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +40.6%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat poured a bit of a light golden color, with a small head. It had a sweet smell, and the cherry smells are very present. The taste is very intresting and novel. It has a sweet taste, and a very strong cherry taste, with a beer taste supporting it. It was pretty light, and tasty, and very easy to drink. Overall I felt it was a very good beer, however I also enjoy cherries, I can see many people disliking this beer as well.

vette2006c5r, Apr 04, 2010
1.78/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Back when I started getting into beer it had become my goal to try every Sam Adams I could find, and after 5 or 6 different styles this was the first SA that I disliked. However it was more than that, I hated it.

It was light orange/red and wheatty, but very potently cherry smelling. When I tasted it all I could think about was the off-putting cherry flavor. It tasted very artificial and was not well balanced at all. Over all, there are now several SA beers that I dislike, but this is still by far the one I dislike the most.

If you like SA and you like fruitier beer, go for the Blackberry Whit, that is actually one of my favorites by SA now.

Spider889, Mar 29, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -38.3%

12 oz bottle to glass. Yellow-gold hazy appearance. Smell has some wheat beer smell but the cherry aroma made me worried, kind of fake smelling. Taste was really bad for me, the cherry was very, very strong and fake for me, like anything from store labeled "black cherry flavored___ product." Maybe it's all real cherries and this is what it taskes like and it's all me, but I was turned off.

kpoole25, Mar 28, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Best by date of Jun 2010.

Appearance: pours a clear light straw color, a little hazy, maybe a fingers worth of dissipating head, a little bit of lacing but not much.

Smell: smells strongly of cherries, maybe a little too much so to be a truly genuine cherry aroma, a little bit of the grain is barely detectable.

Taste: similar to the smell, the cherry flavor comes on strong with just a little grain.

Mouthfeel: light, not too bad.

Drinkability: it was much more drinkable colder which is a bad sign, overall a light and somewhat refreshing beer as long as your not expecting too much.

mcann2pu, Mar 24, 2010
1.2/5  rDev -61.7%

My first Sam adams, and not sure if I wanna ever try another I feel betrayed by this wannabe brew. Tastes like straight up cherry cough syrup, not like cherry soda but like cherry cough syrup. Its a real artificial bitter cherry flavor not sweet like soda but nasty bitter makes you wanna puke cherry medicine like beverage. There is no real fruit in it, its not a craft beer its not worthy of being called a beer. At $ 8 bucks for a six pack, I would not drink it if they gave it away for free. My suggestion don't buy this, you will regret it. Sam adams needs to take this one off the market, its a waste of shelfspace and makes them look bad. I am sure they make some really good stuff but this has to go.

renekraski, Mar 20, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I did not like this beer very much at all, and I'm usually pretty game for fruity beers--but this didn't taste like cherries, it tasted like a Cherry Slurpee from 7-11, medicinal and sickly sweet.

That was my first thought when I smelled the glass and it persisted all the way through. The base beer is grainy and weak and doesn't hold up to the artificial cherry--maybe a stronger base with some punchy yeast would have made this better? I'll be skipping it from now on.

lstokes, Mar 18, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Slightly cloudy, copper color. It is more straw colored when held to the light. There is a quarter-inch white head of large bubbles. The head has average retention, leaving no lace. As I drink it, there is a little lace on the side of the glass. There are lots and lots of teeny-tiny bubbles.

S - Cherries! They are a little medicinal. There is not much else.

T - Initial cherry flavor, which is pretty well-balanced between sweetness and tartness. That is what I expected from Michigan cherries. The cherries give way to a bread malt flavor. There is a slight hop bitterness in the end, keeping it balanced.

M - Light to medium bodied with lively carbonation.

D - It started off easy and pretty refreshing. By the end of the 12 oz, though, the cherry flavor was a bit tiresome. Definitely don't want two in one sitting. I think this should be consumed quickly, before it gets a chance to warm.

jwillcourt, Mar 17, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +34.2%

Call me crazy, but I actually found this beer pretty darn good.. perhaps I got a lucky batch? Others likened this beer to an alcoholic cherry soda.. I likened it to a beer with a good cherry head, and that's exactly what it delivered.

Smooth finish, aromatic long-lasting head. I smell the fruit, and taste the wheat.. for an $8 6-pack, I'm rating this as a solid B+ for a buy-it-anywhere SA beer.

MrSkyGuy, Mar 15, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Looks ok, not necessarily a cherry appearance. A little noticeable in the head. Aroma is ample.

Taste is more reminiscient of a totally different style, like a lambic or diet cherry coke moreso than beer. None of the usual indicators that this is a wheat beer either. I'd say if you like fruit, go lambic or saison, if you like wheat beers, get a normal wheat/white/wit for that kind of thing.

Beerandraiderfan, Mar 12, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -24.9%

This tastes like alcoholic cherry soda, not beer. Really simple, direct, and a little too sweet. It's drinkable, but if I wanted a malternative, I would have bought one. There are much better fruit beers out there. This is the first time I've been disappointed with a Sam Adams brew.

moocey, Mar 12, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a standard pint glass
Hazy gold in color, with a big fluffy head of foam
Aroma-Up front medicinal cherry, hints of wheat
Taste-Wheat, lingering cherry cough drop flavor, astringent
Overall, a dissapointment. I was expecting better when I saw on the label that Michigan cherries were used. The cherry flavor that I got was artificial and medicinal, and too pronounced for me to be able to enjoy this beer. Pretty unbalanced all around.

hosehead83, Mar 08, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -16%

I like the idea but not the results. This beer is 100% sweetened. There is no wheat to be mentioned. Huge, unbalanced flavors of sweet cherries that has no sort of tart backing. The beer taste the exact same from start to finish, warm or cold. A long lingering slimy, soda feeling is left on the tongue and teeth. If feels like i'm drinking a crude cherry flavored soda. Not recommended and I hate that this is the "fancy" beer at most parties.

tippebrewcrew2, Mar 06, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a couple of these on draft during the preakness a couple years ago. The beer was pouring from a really cold tap into a pint glass.

A. The beer was a deep golden color with decent head which reduced to a cap after a few minutes.

S. Smells of fresh cherries and citrus.

T. Cherry wheat tastes pretty good with a sweet flavor and a little bitter after swallowing.

M/D. Cool and refreshing but wouldn't drink too many at a time.

Wish I had seen this on tap in more places.

bourbonbock, Mar 05, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a standard pint glass, the beer was a slightly hazy golden color, with a fluffy head of foam about an inch thick. Nice lacing as the pint progressed.
The aroma is big-time sweet and tart. Nice cherry aroma, some light malt sweetness, and a light floral hop aroma.
The taste is a cherry rush. Slightly sweet and tart, with a little malt sweetness.
The beer has good carbonation and a nice feel.
I really like this beer. I've been drinking it for years. I suppose it's my guilty pleasure. It's not the greatest beer on earth, but I dig it.

KrisPaulk77, Mar 05, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +8%

A - Cloudy amber with a reddish hue. Clean white head.

S - Cherries, kind of an artificial cherry smell, like cherry licorice or something of that sort.

T - A tart cherry taste, kind of like cherry cough syrup but with alot of wheat beer tossed in. Tartness really kicks ya. I like it though.

M - So-so, nothin special.

D - This is a good brew but the tartness really eats away at me, I couldn't drink alot at one sitting.

jaycount, Mar 02, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -16.9%

Ehh. This is not a good beer. The cherry doesn't taste good at all in this beer. Hits you as soon as it touches the tongue and then again on the swallow. The wheat makes an appearance but only to say hi. I don't think the medicine tasting cherry helps this beer in any of the reviews. Won't drink it again, and won't recommend it to anyone.

tykees88, Feb 16, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -26.5%

Appearance> Warm amber with a nice head. Lively.

Smell> Cherry cough syrup.

Taste> Cherry start. Starts to taste really wheaty. Nice BUT then it goes to tasting like cough syrup . HORRIBLE HANG.

Mouf> Good. Easy.

Drinkability> noooo

1759Girl, Feb 09, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very strong of cherries. Taste is cherries, some wheat, easy drinking and refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable warm weather beer.

tone77, Feb 07, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Served in a wheat glass. Pours a clear golden with only a hit of the cloudiness that I expected of a wheat. The head is thick, white and soapy, thinning down to a film and leaving a bunch of lacing.

Aroma is strong cherry, like cough syrup, not much else going on, probably inviting for casual beer drinkers. Flavor continues the cough syrup from the aroma. Fortunately that's not all, there's some grassy hop flavors as well as some malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel isn't thick or syrupy, it's actually quite pleasant. Carbonation is just right. Drinkability is probably the best part of this beer, as long as you don't mind the cough syrup it's easy drinking.

mjaskula, Feb 06, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Some things are plain intriguing. I had a sixer of Brooklyn winter ale in my hands when up-pops the sight deep in the freezers of a few cherry wheaters.

I like the idea of fruity; don't get me wrong. But not synthetic, cherry candy sort of thing. Had this been a better blend i'd perhaps give it a better score, but i think i've been fair to it.

Nice pour and nose. seems like an American Wheat to the eye, definetly with a welcoming sight. And the nose...frutti di bosco indeed, not half hidden but right out there, sort of competing with the wheat for your nose. nice.

but the flavour...no. quite simply. too confronting, and with a sort of artificial feeling "cherry concentrate" or something. too strong for me and certainly out of context with the beer. thick bodied and good wheat-bitter finish though. but i won't be buying this one again anytime soon (provided there's so many great things out here!)

Andreji, Feb 05, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -1%

This is my wife's favorite variety of Sam Adams, but don't be fooled. This beer is 0% wheat and 100% cherry cider.

(a) Pretty consistent of fruit beers, darker colored ale, resemblent of amber. Light lacing and one finger foam. (4/5)

(s) Smell is great, but very strong. All cherry and nothing else. Very promising...but (4/5)

(t) I understand this is a fruit ale, but lets call it Sam Adams Cherry slushy and just give the "wheat" to something deserving. Taste is overpowering everything else and every sip taste the same as the last. Needs balance, asap. This has the potential to be a great beer, but geesh, lay off the cherry pump. (3/5)

(m) Not sure what is to be felt here. Very heavy "syrup" like feel all throughout the palate. Very thick and slimy residue aftertaste. (2.5/5)

(d) Drinkability is another area where this beer is lacking. If im going to be limited to 2-3 beers you bet your ass its going to be with an Extreme American Ale. This beer is like too much desert, halfway through the second helping your immediately reqretting your decision to pick up the damn fork. (2.5/5)

lbaker, Feb 02, 2010
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)