Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev +9.6%

Notes: Hef-style glass, served cool but not cold, old bottle (6 months past recommended date)

Aroma: sour cherries
Appearance: yellow, clear. Half-inch head, dissipates quickly to light covering. Slight lacing on the sides.
Mouthfeel: light to medium body. Light carbonation.
Taste: Sweetness on the tip, sourness in the middle and back. Lingering sour aftertaste. Wheat taste and some cardboard (from the age).
Drinkability: sourness prevents it from being a sessions beer for me, but a nice sour beer.

Yeastcakes, Jan 14, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +30.4%

A: a bright peach colored amber and slightly cloudy.

S: sweet and fruity. hints of cherry and spice

T: tangy, slighty sour cherry a first. the cherry is replaced with a wonderful malty flavor that turns into a nutty aftertaste that hangs on until you sip again.

M: refreshing with plenty of carbonation

D: I have had this beer many times in bottles, but never on tap.. let me tell you, it's a whole new beer. in bottle form I can do one or two, on tap I could drink all day. this beer proves why draght is better.

Beejay, Jan 08, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -16%

Jan 7, 2009
Bottle pour into Stella glass. Pours a reddish orange with medium white head. Definite aroma of cherry, not as much in the flavor. Malt, yeast, slight wheat. Lacing is okay. Better initial flavor, less at finish. Somewhat dry finish and less distinct flavoring. I do not enjoy the aroma, there is definitely a strong "cherry flavored medicine" smell going on for me. I would not purchase again. The rating is given within its fruit beer category.

OzarkElmo, Jan 08, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +5.4%

From notes 7/5/2008:

Pours a cloudy orange/amber color producing a 2 finger head which quickly shrinks leaving very little lacing. Starts out looking pretty good but after the head dissipates, it seems a bit thin.

As the name implies, the beer smells of cherries and wheat. It is actually pretty refreshing.

As for the taste, you can definitely taste the presence of wheat in this one. Cherries are evident and some light hints of honey in the aftertaste. For me anyway, the smell was more satisfying than the taste. I've heard many compare the taste to cherry cough syrup which isn't entirely fair but still this is nothing to get excited about.

The mouthfeel seemed thin, maybe a bit watery at times but not horrible.

Basically a lawn mower beer that is easy to drink on a hot summer day....I found this one to be very crisp and refreshing but really no point in drinking in any other situation. Really not that bad but it still feels like a beer intended for people who don't normally drink beer...

Vengeance526, Jan 07, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Copper in color. Medium light carbonation pours into a 1 finger foamy white head. Settles into a thin layer of carbonation on surface. Some fair lacing remains as you drink.

S: I know this is going to come as a surprise, but the nose is black cherry and wheat.

T: Subdued wheat, and only a hint of cherry you smell so prominently.

M: Light feel. Seems a little diluted. The wheat has a sharp, distinctive (almost metallic) twang that lingers.

D: Pretty solid drinkability. Light feel, refreshing quality.

This underwhelms a little. Not a strong wheat flavor, and not a strong cherry. . . despite what the name might imply. However, it does have a nice nose, and decent appearance, and taste is certainly not bad (just not the flavor you would expect, given the nose). Good drinkability. Overall, a decent quaff.

bmwats, Jan 05, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Served a little bit over 50 degrees F into pint glass listening to ANIMAL COLLECTIVE (yes, "Merriweather Post Pavilion" leaked).
It sat in my glass as a pale yellow, approaching light gold towards the top. This beer sat very transparent as well. I was always under the impression that most "wheat" beers were typically cloudy (?). The pour created a 1 cm head that turned into a very thin layer after a couple minutes, and eventually just remained a thin ring as it fell towards the bottom of my glass during the drink. Minimal carbonation, and lacing that looked like it wanted to do something, but would just not stay put.
I did not even need to smell this at first. When I popped and poured it, a strong and very sweet cherry smell pierced the air of the room. Upon proper evaluation, I thought there may be a wood smell buried under all that cherry (perhaps the wheat?). Very cherry though, almost kool-aide
It was hard to notice any malt or barley, at least with first contact on the tongue, but I understand that it is typical in fruit-styled beers for these to take the back-seat... and hey, that cherry isn't as obnoxious as I thought it could be. In contrast to the smell, the taste was more of a mellower "wild cherry" that grew in momentum, and peaked at the finish. It not only subtly hangs around for quite a bit, but transforms into the wheat flavor somewhere along the way. I must applaud them for this complexity. The wheat flavors, even considering how subtle they are, are not the best I have tasted.
However, the finish happens to be slightly dry, and numbing. Yet at the very same time, it still almost has that same effect of overly-sticky beers (or CANDY), where you want to hawk a huge "lugee" afterward, and have to put another in your mouth just to get rid of that aspect. It's medium bodied, maybe slightly thin, but I love the carbonation level, and it does happen to be quite smooth.
In fact, if I had a 6-pack of this, I would not mind having a couple more, but I think the fact that it unpleasantly goes away like candy would really get in the way after a bit.

This really is not even a style of beer in general that I would normally purchase myself. But for what it is, it's not bad. I think I would only recommend it to novices who tend towards sweeter beers, though.

Bootscraper, Dec 29, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

pours an orangeamber color with an ok head with ok retention

smells purely of fake cherries. I don't find the cherry smell to be very real, smells as if it's goign to taste like a cherry soda. No beer smell to be found

Taste is sweet but not in a truly cherry way (hard to detect the actual flavors). That and the wheaty stale bready taste is all this beer has to offer.

Mouthfeel is very sticky (since its quite sweet) and carbonated.
Drinkability is low, i drank three of these in a row and felt sorta sick from all the sweetness by the end. An alright brew.

pseudo, Dec 27, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours a cloudy light orange color with a small head and decent lacing.

Scent of maraschino cherries and wheat, that's pretty much it; pretty bland, but not terrible.

Taste of wheat and cherries, there is a bad aftertaste, almost like stale bread, not good.

Mouthfeel is light and a bit watery.

paco1029384756, Dec 27, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - A hard pour gets me three fingers of hae that shrinks to a moderate layer. Some lacing is left on sides of the glass.

S - Even if you didn't know what was in the glass, the cherry smell gives it away. But it is also very sweet smelling. Reminds me of maraschino cherries in a jar.

T - Again the maraschino cherry image comes up again. I can't really taste any "beer" just the cherries. I am starting to think "soda" more then "beer".

M - The sweetness comes off sticky. It coats the mouth and throat. This stickiness overpowers even the carbonation.

D - If you like sweet fruity drinks, then this beer is for you. But one is all I can try. It is too sweet for me.

JMBSH, Dec 22, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is a very clear, sparkling amber ale with a very nice, soft, elastic, creamy, sandy white head that has very good retention and lacing. The aroma is of cherry cough drops. It is light, smooth and clean on the palate. There's really not too much flavor going on, and it's a very simple taste: wheat and cherry cough drops. The hops breeze through at the end to finish it up with a quick aftertaste. This would be so good if the cherry flavor actually tasted like real cherries. It's incredibly drinkable-- chuggable, even. This is one of the first non-macros I ever had (many years ago) and it opened my eyes to beer as something that... tastes good!
(rated Jul 12, 2007)

yesyouam, Dec 20, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

Reviewed on 5/17/08. Bottle. Poured a clear light orange with a small white head that left pretty lacing on the glass. Aroma of candied cherries. Flavor of the same cherries - reminded me of a cherry SnoCone, with a wheat finish. The wheat malt was a little weak, but otherwise, very tasty! I liked the sweet cherry taste and it didn't get too sweet or artificial for me.
7/4/7/3/14 (3.5/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 19, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +23%

From a summer beer box. The Cherry Wheat was not one I was looking forward to tasting.
Pours copper amber with a sizable whitish head. Has a good amount of lacings. Aroma is cherries.
Taste is wheaty with a good amount of black cherry flavor. Hops are well in the background. Mouthfeel is fine for the style. Slightly tart to help balance the sweetness.
Drinkability is good if you aren't craving hops. Would be a good desert beer. I ended up drinking all of the Cherry Wheats in the box. One per session.

Spikester, Dec 10, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: Golden amber in color, with a big white head. Lots of small particles floating around. Some lacing.

Smell: Aroma is overwhelmingly of maraschino cherry. Nothing else has a chance. Not encouraging.

Taste: Much better than the aroma, anyway. Cherry in a big way, but more black cherry on the palate than maraschino, thankfully. Crisp wheat finish. Avoids being overly sweet, despite the overwhelming fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body, appropriate carbonation.

Drinkability: As far as fruit beers go, this is pretty drinkable. Not my favorite style, nor my favorite fruit. Finishing the glass says something.

hunteraw, Dec 10, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +34.8%

Twelve ounce bottle poured into a beer glass. 6.99 for a six pack here, so can't complain too much about that.

A: golden-yellow with a tint of amber, and a good head, about two fingers, leaves moderately fast, and leaves a thin lace.

S: wheat hits your nostrils first, then you can smell the cherry undertones. Not much hops scent here, but you can faintly smell the alcohol.

T: First, you taste the wheat flavor of the beer, then after it goes down, you are left with a very pleasant cherry aftertaste.

D: light and smooth, but the fullness makes it hard to drink a lot of these in a night. Would be good for a nightcap, or just to lounge around. Reason for the 3.5 is because this beer is filling, which is to be expected from a wheat beer.

emptywords, Dec 09, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +27.2%

Another nice example of fruit + wheat.

This beer kicks you in the teeth with its cherry smell and flavor.

This is one of my favorite Samuel Adams beers. Never fails to impress.

This is a one or 2 only beer. Any more, and you start to lose the cherry bite. A lighter fare desert beer? I think so.

This beer goes very well with mild milk chocolate, shortbread cookies, or even M&M's. Don't Judge!

GF and I found that if you are drinking this beer and eating M&M's, the end result is just like a Chocolate Covered Cherry.

Try it...

bobgrave, Dec 08, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -16%

Original Rating Date:
August 6, 2008

Cherry drowns everything else out. Cherry aroma, cherry taste. Pours golden, small white head, little lacing. Some malt in there, traces of wheat. All in all a little too fruity for me. I'm not a huge fruit beer fan to begin with, this was a little much for me. Probably enjoyable if it's your thing, but it was a little too fruity and not nearly "beery" enough for my tastes. Somebody else mentioned that this fits well in a Samuel Adams variety pack- I'd agree with that.

Vendetta, Dec 07, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

A normal golden lager type color with a medium white head that leaves some lacing. Aroma of cherry cough drops and honey, Flavor is much the same, a strong artifical cherry taste with some ok honey notes as it warms, way too sweet for me.
I loved this stuff when I first got into craft beer,but now I pass on it if possible,just too sweeet for me now I think. Love most of Sam's other stuff though.

WakeandBake, Dec 07, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured in a wheat glass it is a reddish orange color that is cloudy. A very strong cherry smell with hints of wheat and orange. Through the drink you can taste cherries and the wheat is just a second thought. Too much cherry flavor not enough malt and wheat to balanced this beer out. It was just an okay beer.

colts9016, Dec 05, 2008
1.55/5  rDev -50.5%

I can't stand this beer! Every aspect of it sucks. Almost the worst beer I've had.

Looks like watery cough syrup.

Smells like cough syrup.

Tasts like cherry cough syrup.

Feels like cough syrup.

Might as well be cough syrup!

Who like to drink cough syrup?
Not me.
Ewwuu!

hoplover82, Dec 04, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +43.8%

After I took only a few sips, I passed this beverage around to all my friends ranting on how great this beer tasted. I couldn't believe how strong the cherry taste was. My only issue with this beer is I only had two, but couldn't imagine trying to put down a whole six pack of these in one sitting.

mcBrewsAlot, Dec 03, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +22.4%

Beer pours pale orange in color, with a head that doesn't last long.

Smell: Black Cherry Soda and maybe just a hint of hops.

Taste: Obviously, cherries dominate the flavor. Though, there is a very light pleasant bitterness that follows the finish. It really is similar to Black Cherry Soda.

Mouthfeel: Very light and crisp. Nothing to complain about here, nor is there anything to be excited about.

Drinkability: It couldn't be anymore drinkable than this beer. Very refreshing, crisp and just enough sweetness to make this a great summertime beer.

BladeRunner, Dec 02, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - This beer poured a pinkish golden color what produced a fluffy white head that had decent retention and laced the side of the glass decently

S - The aromas were more complex than I was expecting, grainy wheat, ripe cherries, and sweet honey

T - The taste of this beer was also better than I was expecting, the wheat was the centerpiece here, the cherries were ever present, but not overwhelming, a finished with a subtle note of honey

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This is another Samuel Adams that does what it is meant to do, very refreshing and drinkable, nothing awe inspiring with the taste, but a good, easy drinkable Wheat Beer

cvfish, Dec 01, 2008
3.13/5  rDev 0%

Reviewed 12/31/2005 (12oz bottle):

Pours a light brown/tan colored body, with a very big white head, and some good lacing. Has a strong aroma of slightly sour cherries, some maltiness too. Very lively palate, an aftertaste of cherries. Some wheat taste, malts. Moderately heavy body. Nice tasty brew, one of the gateway beers for me.

jujubeast6000, Nov 29, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -55.3%

Rich mouthfeel with complex overtones. Tastes like beer at first, but then it hits you - cherry. Fake cherry. Why do they add the super-fake flavor? Okay, BS - this stuff is cough syrup. Don't bother. The only person I have known who really liked this stuff was my last boss. Let's leave it at that.

tanzaniakate, Nov 28, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: Huge head, golden color, plentiful lacing, faint cloudiness. The presentation is acceptable.

Smell: Ok...it's named Cherry Wheat. Well...Black Cherry maybe should be the name. The aroma was not overly sweet. There was a slight toasty presence. Bready would be another adjective. All this surrounded by a strong black cherry aroma. Not much zing. On the surface, this is a "chick beer". I can say that being a brew chick. ;-)

Taste: Black Cherry with light maltiness. I believe I could detect some Cascade hops. Aromatic rather than high alpha hops. This would be in line with the poor hops harvest this last year. The flavor peaked rather quickly and faded quick with very little sustain. Flavor is best described as "interesting but not impressive."

Mouthfeel: High carbonation tingles the tongue, but flavor comes across a little acidic. Something just isn't right about this brew.

Drinkability: I would rate this as fairly low due to the fact that this just doesn't strike me as being beer. It's almost a malty mead.

Conclusions: Interesting but not impressive. I purchased this as a single beer in a "make your own 6-pack" carry out. I'm glad I only selected one of these. This would be a good spring beer, but it would not be acceptable for serving to guests. Keep this one for yourself, and even then only if you want to experience this friuty drink.

Prosit!
Nikki

stockingcpl, Nov 27, 2008
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)