Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
beerthulhu

2.53/5  rDev -19.4%

A: Poured a medium amber-orange with a slight sudsy white head that quickly dissipated.

S: a overbearing, artifical-like sweetness contributed by the cherries, and some sugary fruitness.

T: cherries, very fruity and pretty much one dimensional. There was some cereal grains in the palate but it was the cherries that pretty much dominated the flavor.

M: overcarbonated providing a lively tingling and fizziness with a thin body.

D: Drinkability was like a cherry 7-up. Pass on this one.

02-28-2008 00:40:54 | More by beerthulhu
DmanGTR

2.78/5  rDev -11.5%

A decent 1.5 inch head that was retained nicely, had a characteristic "tangy" smell of sour cherries and malt. This beer tasted rather artificial to me... this part was hard to describe. However, it was definitely comfortable with just enough substance. Drinks like a soda, very good drinkability.

All in all, not my favorite Sam Adams, but still an okay beer. I'm not a huge fan of fruit flavored beers (unless they're lambics) so this may be slightly biased.

Do give it a try.

02-20-2008 06:44:13 | More by DmanGTR
DoubleJ

2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Enjoyed at my friend's house last night and poured into a glass, on to the beer:

The beer is orange as peach in color with a well-retaining head. White rings of foam cling to the glass as the beer is consumed. Soft cherries dominante the aroma. The taste is also cherry dominated and very one-sided. There are faint notes of assorted nuts and hops. Good smooth mouthfeel, a little on the heavy side. Because of the latter, it is actually more of a beer to take in small doses.

My friend's mother also tried this out to, whom doesn't really drink beer outside of Bud. She said it tasted like Cherry Pepsi. I would say this could appeal to casual beer drinkers, but is a "meh" pick for veteran beer drinkers.

02-16-2008 19:40:04 | More by DoubleJ
scoobybrew

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev +25.8%

This was poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - very light amber color with a slight (not as much as expected) haze, thick head that settles but is well retained

S - cherry aroma with some wheat malt notes

T - dominate cherry taste, but strong wheat malt base behind it and a very slight hop finish

M - medium body with a moderate carbonation

D - As far as fruit beers go, this is probably one of the best commercial beer available (that's not a lambic or lambic variant - way different ballgame). It has a nice fruit flavor but isn't cloying and has a nice strong beer base backing it - enjoyable anytime of year.

02-16-2008 03:53:06 | More by scoobybrew
JDV

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

Golden amber colored pour. Smell is big maraschino cherry flavor, and even though I don't normally like the artificially cherry-like smell, I kind of liked enjoyed the smell as it mixed with the light wheatiness. Taste was similar but a slightly more subdued cherry flavor, although it is still quite noticeable, as is the wheat. Maybe a bit thin on the palate overall, but this is something I'd drink again, and still like just as much as before I became somewhat choosy about my beers.

02-13-2008 22:55:26 | More by JDV
shabbtastic

2.5/5  rDev -20.4%

A - Poured a golden yellow / amber color with a decent two finger head. Light lacing and great carbonation, but that's where it ends.

S - Like Loudon's cherry cough drops. Artificial cherry flavor dominates everything else.

T - Kind of like a Dr. Pepper, sorry but that's all that popped into my head as I swallowed. Like the nose, too many artificial notes.

M - Light and fizzy, thin bodied.

D - Very easy to drink. Went down like a soda, I could pound these on a really hot day in the summer. But I fear my mommy would yell me at and wind up with a tummy ache.

02-12-2008 01:16:54 | More by shabbtastic
windigo32

1.9/5  rDev -39.5%

I've got to say that I was somewhat disappointed by this one since I found I like most of what Sam Adams brews.

A: Light golden/yellow color. A bit darker than Miller Light with a similar head.

S: Right away you're hit with the smell of cherry. It was all that came through in the smell.

T: Again, cherry. I was hoping for maybe a hint of cherry and a hoegarden taste, but no. Cherry and a slight hint of yeast is all I found. It is a very sweet beer.

M: Felt watery and only slightly carbonated. Not a real good feel.

D: I drank this one slowly and sort of regretted ordering it.

02-10-2008 05:17:00 | More by windigo32
hdofu

Maryland

This is a very fruity beer with a powerful scent of cherries. It has a rich flavor of wheat malt and cherries noticeable in every sip. It's taste would best accompany a cooked sandwich or hamburger being sweet and fruity. The feel is bubbly on the tongue. It is an ok beer but not one I'd drink more then one of in a sitting.

02-02-2008 02:26:57 | More by hdofu
FightinScot

3.88/5  rDev +23.6%

A- Dark amber colored, quarter inch head turning into lacing in a short amount of time.

S- Smelled of a wheat brew then a distinct cherry taste

T- Wheat taste, followed by cherry. Not much else to speak of

M- More watery than I expected

D- I could maybe drink two of these in a sitting. I enjoy the taste but the amount of fruit would make me want a change

02-01-2008 05:05:04 | More by FightinScot
kevman527

3.6/5  rDev +14.6%

I let it set for about 10 minutes to let the flavors come out. Poured into room temp pint glass.

Appearnce: Very light brown color. Had a big white creamy head, which settled into a thin layer.

Smell - As the name indicated, very pungent sweet cherry smell with no noticable hop aroma.

Taste - Like a maraschino cherry. Only way I could explain it.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, low carbonation.

Drinkability - Excellent beer to quaff down several in a sitting. Probably more resigned to spring/summer months though as opposed to winter. But none the less, I would recommend it to try.

01-31-2008 23:00:05 | More by kevman527
msolar

3.1/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a nice, rich amber color. Smells delicious, although very sweet and fruity (reminds me of a heavily spiced pumpkin brew). Unfortunately, it's a bit too sweet for my liking. I know it's all natural flavoring, but it seems artificial. Perhaps because it's so strong. Cough medicine came to mind while drinking it.

My wife like it so I'd consider getting a six pack (and having her drink 5) but for the most part I'll only get a single every couple of years. There are better Sam Adams beers and better flavored beers (i.e. Southern Tier's Pumpking).

01-29-2008 11:32:34 | More by msolar
deltatauhobbit

Maine

3.68/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours an amber color, small head that doesn't last long.

Smell is not as sweet as I would imagine, but the cherry tartness does come through with some malt aromas.

Taste has hints of cherries, but is not overwhelming for a fruit beer, decent malt presence, some bitterness in the aftertaste. Could have used more balance though, the tartness and the bitterness seemed to conflict.

01-26-2008 22:51:57 | More by deltatauhobbit
cbleary

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Enjoyed from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

This is a pretty good and refreshing fruit beer. The beer pours very nicely with a light amber color topped by a thin, dense silky white head that remained throughout drinking it. It smelled of fresh wild cherries. The taste was quite crisp with strong wild cherry flavor and underlying wheat malt. The cherry flavor is the star of the show here. This would be a good dessert beer every once and a while, but I wouldn't want it every day.

01-26-2008 15:16:24 | More by cbleary
Gehrig

2.63/5  rDev -16.2%

This beer used to aggravate me to no end. Now I understand that it's just not much my style. I like fruit in my beer. I just don't like it to be my beer.

It starts out very well, with a finger of white froth capping a deep pinkish body. OK. But once I need to get close to it, the beer and I seem oil and water. It isn't as though there isn't a smell, just one that is all cherries throughout. It's a bit much for me, sadly, given the occasional whiff of malt struggling to break through the sea ice of cherry drowning out all else. Clearly, this affects the taste, leaving me to wonder if I should rinse my mouth of shave my tongue to cleanse the palate. That it's well-carbonated salvages what might be a cellar-dwelling mouthfeel, but not the drinkability. It's just too fruity, ONLY too fruity, for me.

I love Belgian-style beer, but it's well beyond the ample involvement of fruit. It's the complexity as well as the layering of fruit that grab me. Not here, though it's not a Belgian-style beer, to be clear.

It's a decent change of pace, and cherry lovers will dance in the streets everywhere with this. I, however, wished for balance that was ultimately unrequited.

01-24-2008 06:55:46 | More by Gehrig
Hatch

Kentucky

2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

12oz brown bottle with pry-off top. Freshness date on lable.

Pours a light amber color that is somewhat transparent. Brings out a white head that disipates with minimal lacing with poor retention. Nothing speical.

Smells of cherries, artificial cherry smell, i guess like cherry candy. The cherry aroma dominates the smell.

Taste of cherry flavoring at first along with a weak malt bite. Somehwat crisp. Minimal hopping with very, very slight bitterness that doesn't last very long. Not too balanced here, but hell, it's a fruit beer catered towards a certain target audience who probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Fairly drinkable if you can stand the flavoring.

Notes: It's a fruit beer, so some people are going to like this beer, and some people aren't. I'd say it would be a decent beer to try once, or maybe a good desert beer, or something to go along with a salad. Still for what it's trying to pull off, it does fairly well. It's a bland wheat ale that's flavored with cherries, readily available.

01-23-2008 17:45:10 | More by Hatch
JamesS

Indiana

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a nice red-tinged golden color, with good head, but not so much lacing. Has an excellent crips scent, straw-like with great fruit overtones. A great taste, too, although maybe a little overboard on the cherry. Still, a great fruited wheat beer, clean and crisp with a nice blending of the fruit. Goes down fine, would never say no to another.

01-20-2008 14:00:25 | More by JamesS
Strix

Wisconsin

3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

This was all right. There is a real cherry background to it which I kind of liked. But it never really developed much complexity to it. The wheat beer behind the cherry flavor was all right too, but when mixed together, it didn't really go anywhere. The beer and cherry flavors did not seem to complement each other as well as they could have. I don't regret trying it, but I won't be buying a 6-pack.

01-17-2008 04:50:30 | More by Strix
MerkinMan

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +25.8%

I do not normally like fruit beers, but this was a part of a mix pack, and I gave it a try. I am pleasantly surprised. I have even had this very beer before and not liked it, but I like it this time. Might be the glass - .5 liter wheat beer glass. This helps taste the cherry, which may be a tad too much.

01-13-2008 22:46:36 | More by MerkinMan
wardough

Wisconsin

3.85/5  rDev +22.6%

A great beer to mix it up a little.
A: Nice amber in a glass. Very little head. Just a loose lacing exists during the whole experience.
S: Cherries and Cheeries.
T: Cherries, followed by malt, then a splash of bitterness to wash away the cherries. Nice finish.
M: Light with medium carbonation
D: I could probably only have 2 of these in a row, just because of the fruit style, but otherwise, very drinkable.
A great beer to pair with dessert. Nice job BBC.

01-12-2008 01:34:55 | More by wardough
Scribbles

3.68/5  rDev +17.2%

A decent dark gold colour with a very nice head and lacing.

Smells like an average wheat beer but with cherry very conspicuous.

More cherry in the taste than I expected, I could take it or leave it really. It reminds me a bit of cough syrup flavouring. The wheat beer behind the cherry is pretty good.

Mouthfeel is and good smooth with acceptable mid-range carbonation.

Drinkability is ok I could drink a few of these during the winter and probably enjoy them, but I wouldn't say that this will become one of my regulars.

01-07-2008 03:17:28 | More by Scribbles
slagle9480

3.7/5  rDev +17.8%

This is a nice twist on a fruit/vegetable beer.

I love cherries but perhaps not as much as Sam Adams. They killed my palate with the overwhelming taste of cherry in this beer.

I liked the tartness of this beer and appreciate the effort in this beer.

I have a 6-pack to kill. I think I'll take my time with it.

12-31-2007 15:38:46 | More by slagle9480
Reidrover

Oregon

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

Dark golden/amber ale, small dissapearing off white head. Strong cherry cough medicine aroma, not bad at this time of year! After a while the harsh medicinal tone goes and it has a scent of glazed cherries. Pretty straighforward taste, cherry dominates, but not as sweet as the nose might lead one to believe. Actually gets a wee bit bitter on the end, like cherry pits. Mouthfeel is thin, and its only the pleasing carbonation that stops it being downright watery. What can I say, a pleasant enough drink, better in hotter weather.

12-25-2007 06:08:18 | More by Reidrover
montageman

2.28/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

I'm generally fine with most of the Sam Adams products, especially those that are a little out of the ordinary i.e. imperial pilsner. However, their Cherry Wheat misses the mark. The look is fine - nice, golden color with a nice white head that leaves some lacing. The smell is not so great - maraschino cherry syrup; very sweet and cloying. The taste is not so cloying, but still nothing good - too sweet when there should be some tartness. Mouthfeel is like soda bordering on harsh. Yeah, this isn't my cup of tea, but I could see people enjoying this one. It's like beer, but not. Recommendation to avoid.

12-12-2007 01:53:56 | More by montageman
Steaks

Kentucky

1.35/5  rDev -57%

I drank this, against my will, out of a 12 ounce bottle. This stuff is haggard. If i wanted to drink robitussin, i would go to the pharmacy and drink that. Samuel Adams beers are usually pretty decent, with some being outright tasty but this is terrible.

I'd rather drink King Cobra, good lord.

12-11-2007 09:52:37 | More by Steaks
flatblack80

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

12 ounce bottle in Pilsner glass

A: Reddish hazelnut with almost no head and light lacing.

S: cherry slightly sweet. with slight lager overtone.

T: Cherry and Sam Adams Lager mix. A little hoppy. flavor stays, but in a good way.

M: Mouthfeel is thin and cherry flavor stays till the next mouthful.

D: Not the best, but for some reason I Love this beer.
Great with Spicy Wings!!!

12-07-2007 03:34:21 | More by flatblack80
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)