Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros

I liked this beer when I first tried it I ultimately grew tired of it after a few years. Now I can raise a glass and fully appreciate the beer for what it is. Although, now I wish that this beer was a little less filtered and closer to a "Hefe". Overall a good drinkable beer with a slight cherry taste towards the finish.

2.91/5  rDev -7.3%

Ok, my first review so here it goes...bought the Cherry Wheat at the only place in town that carries microbrew beers.

A-Really pretty golden color when poured into the glass. About an inch or so of head. Looked really pretty in the glass.

S-STRONG smell of sweet cherries. Really got my hopes up on the intoxicating smell.

T-I could definitely taste the cherries in the beer, but to me it masked everything else, making it taste like tangy cough syrup beer. Made me want to cry slightly.

M-Wasn't too watery, but definitely was a lighter mouthfeel to me. I would say just about average.

D-To me, I couldn't get past a few sips of this beer. In this case, the smell was better than the taste. Hubby's drinking the rest.

3.14/5  rDev 0%

Poured to pint glass. Golden color with red highlights with two finger head.

S. Smelled grainy wheat and cherries

T. First a malt sweetness then a cherry finish

MF. Good carbonation a crisp taste

D. Couldnt have more than one of these to sweet for me ill pass on another

3.47/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

WOW. imagine cherry cola with hops.
This stuff is so potent its almost ridiculous, I bought it thinking it would have a subtle flavor and i was mistaken.
If your looking for something fruity that would seem manly its this beer.
It looks and feels like a wheat should but damn its sweet.

3.84/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer seems to get a lot of hate on this website but I absolutely love it. The cherry taste seems genuine and it isn't overbearing for me. I see some people compared it to cough syrup.. which I cannot see at all. My girlfriend who doesn't like most beer will drink this like nothing but its still "beer-ey" enough for me to enjoy as well. A solid pick.

A- A light amber pour with a marginal one finger of off white head.

S- The nose is one of domestic wheat and slightly cherry-like.

T- Medium sweetness from the cherries along with a small amount of tangy wheat.

M- Average body and carbonation

D- Lawnmower says it all for this one.

3.51/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Out of the bottle this beer was a slightly hazy yellow. Two fingers of fine head topped it and it displayed both good retention and very good lacing. The aroma was dominated by cherries with some metallic hints behind that which makes it a little artificial. The flavors were quite sweet at first but not cloying, but they mellowed out into a maltiness before finishing with a yeast tang. The tang is a little bitter and it makes the aftertaste unpleasant. Still, I found this one quite drinkable, summery and generally pleasant. It's a good medium bodied beer and probably a great swimming in the river, getting girls bikini tops off kinda brew. Hell yeah.

2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

This beer pours a yellowish-golden color with an inch of good looking foam. The aroma is heavy with fruit dominated mostly by cherries. Light wheat character on the palate with slight carbonation. The flavor is artificial cherry up front with a little tartness and a little hop bitterness at the end. A little fruity for my tastes, but at least its not overly sweet.

3.9/5  rDev +24.2%

One of my monthly poker game contributions to an otherwise Bud Light/Corona crowd.

We have a very light golden haze. Pretty damn fine head.

Huge smell of cherries in the nose. Like life savers. For real. Very strong, very pleasant, very surprising.

The cherry flavor is quite welcome and nice. I usually don't like fruit flavor added to my beer, but since I'm fond of cherries, this is good.

Feel is kinda harsh. Probably due to the intended market.

Extremely drinkable.

Overall: I likes it

2.74/5  rDev -12.7%

I poured a 12 ounce bottle into my SA pint glass. Pours a deep orange color with lots of head, lotsa lacing. The smell is like cherry coke and so is the taste. It has a light to medium body with adequite carbonation. This brew is fairly easy drinking. I guess this would be good for people who are gateway beer drinkers(they like Mikes lemonade). This beer really is not for me, a bit too sweet.

3.82/5  rDev +21.7%

A - Pours to a hazy orange with a nice head that stays around a while

S - Good wheat aroma with a definite presence of cherry

T - I really liked this, thought the cherry was definitely present, but not overwhelming the wheat flavor

M/D - Very light. Had a few on a hot day after working outside, and could have easily enjoyed a few more.

Basically another good Sam Adams product

1.82/5  rDev -42%

A: Pours a hazy golden color. A decent sized white head forms, but leaves no lace.
S: This smells of cocktail cherry syrup. Kind of like syrup bars keep their cherries in. Just awful IMO.
T: Very sweet and syrupy. Cherries and a touch of wheat. Pretty much cloying.
M/D: A light body that is fairly creamy. The cloying sweetness and cherries makes this hard for me to swallow.

I am sorry, this is pretty bad. Avoid at all costs.

2.32/5  rDev -26.1%

apearance was nice but god, the smell! Completely over the top cherry cough syrup smell. Not a hint of wheat that I could discern. Taste was a little more pleasing but still oh so heavy on the cherries. This was closer to some kind of carbonated flavored mixed drink from smirnoff than it was to a beer. Taste wasn't terrible but so sweet that I'd never want to drink more.

2.76/5  rDev -12.1%

A - Hazy golden orange with 2 fingers of white head that produces some good lacing

S - Cherry medicine, a little wheat aroma hidden in there as well

T - Basically a generic wheat beer with a bunch of cherry flavoring thorwn in

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - To sweet to be enjoyable all the time. Maybe ok as a desert beer but not very impressive

4.79/5  rDev +52.5%

A - Good lookin frothy pour

S - Wheat field with a ripe cherry tree blowing in your face

T - super smooth easy on your palate a little sweet

M - wheat beer. you all understand if you are on this site

D - good for a few. have something different an then go back for a few more.

2.22/5  rDev -29.3%

I am not the descriptive type by far, But I have tried quite a few of the samuel adams beers, And I can say I really dont feel like I am even drinking a beer when I had one of these, Chick drink comes to mind. My wife really liked it though, And turns out the neigbhor's wife likes it as well. Yet he pretty much thought the same about it.

4.34/5  rDev +38.2%

It has an orange glow to it and with a finger width or so white head. It gave off a strong aroma of cherries off the bat, and if inhaled enough for a bit, you'll finally smell the beer. Smooth going down and very very sweet to me.

This was more of a desert beer to me and my friends than anything else. It's a good beer to finish off a drinking session with buddies.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle.

Pours a burnt orange color. There is some sediment in the bottle which when swirled up turns it to a cloudy burnt orange color. Not much of a head, but has some nice lacing.

The aroma is sweet like cherries, which seems to be the dominant aroma, can't really detect anything else in there. The cherry smell is almost artificial like candy.

Taste is interesting. There is a nice wheat flavor at the start which yields a subtle taste of cherries. There are also some malt flavors as well. The finish is a bit wheaty with some bitterness. Good mouthfeel, but maybe a bit much on the carbonation. It is very drinkable, would be good for summer.

Overall this is decent, but nothing spectacular.

3.48/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a hazy, honey-gold color with some carbonation. There is a thick white head that stays fairly well throughout the drink.
Smell is very strong with cherries, almost too much for me. Very syrupy sweet smell of black cherries, but a bit of wheatiness jumps in at the end.
Taste has a lot less of a cherry dominance than the smell. The cherries are there, though, with a nice cherry sweet taste balanced by a nice wheat taste. Wheat is much stronger and better in the taste.
Mouthfeel is very smooth. There is a nice thickness to it as well.
Drinkability isn't there for me. I will tap out after one or two of these because of the sweet cherry taste. Fairly nice summer drink, it isn't the best beer, but I would recommend people at least try it.

1.14/5  rDev -63.7%

Bought this in a Sam Adams variety pack, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. I still wouldn't. I may be a little too harsh, but it just tastes too much like a cherry flavored soda for me to really enjoy it as a beer. It smells like cherry soda, too. For all I know, it may be considered a great 'fruit/vegetable beer', but I just don't dig those in general. The cherry flavor is not subtle at all, and I like when beer has subtle flavors. This tastes like cherry soda with some alcohol in it.

3.79/5  rDev +20.7%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a standard pint glass. Standard Samuel Adams label with a buy before date of November 2008.

Appearance: Pours with two fingers of pure white head. This settles slowly into a dense half finger coating of foam. Good lacing. The beer itself is golden, with maybe just a hint of orange/red. Small amount of activity. I see some very, very fine particulate matter.

Smell: Very strong cherry aroma. Semi-sweet, but very tart. maybe a little wheat twang in there, but hard to differentiate from the cherries.

Taste: Solid wheat base at first, with the typical wheat twang. Cherry flavor is not as intense as in the aroma, but still definitely there. Blends well with the wheat. Finishes with a little bit of cherry tartness and a lingering sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is amazing!

Drinkability: This was always my wife's favorite beer in college, so I had a lot of it around. While she has moved on to being more of a hophead, Cherry Wheat stills shows up once in a while. I think it is a nice fruit wheat, so many of them leaving you wondering if they actually added any fruit to the beer. I guess I don't understnad the people complaining baout it tasting too much like cherries. It is what it is, a fruit beer.

3.87/5  rDev +23.2%

A - Pours up a hazy, dark gold with a thin white head that dissipates quickly leaving a thin cap on top of the beer.

S - First impression: cherry pie. Very appetizing.

T - There is a hint of malt flavor, quickly replaced with a subtle cherry flavor that eventually finishes bitter on the back of the tongue.

M - Feels a little thin, but with good carbonation

D - Very drinkable beer.

3.47/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Looked a copperish gold, with a small white head.
S: Just as i remembered, a nice smack of cherry, and a hint of hops and malts. Very nice.
T: Cherry all over this, some malts and hops pop out at the end, but really a nice mix. A good mix for a fruit beer. One of the better ones.

3.69/5  rDev +17.5%

A: Cloudy golden color. Poured a billowing off-white head that persisted. Some lacing. Decanted continuously.

S: Distinct cherry aroma. Also mild hop aroma. Nicely balanced.

T: Cherry up front followed by mild bitterness. Malty finich. Again, a nice balance.

M: Medium light body. Lightly bitter brought into balance with the sweet cherry. Carbonated

D: More drinkable than many flavored beers.

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Clear golden in color with light red hues. 1 finger head fades quick but leaves a thick sheet on the glass.

S - Cherry smack in the face! Some mild wheat on the back.

T - Again cherry dominates with some mild malt biscuits at the back. A little overpowering on the cherry side for me.

M - A little weak/mild body and would like more carbonation here.

D - Once is enough for me, but fruity beers aren't my thing (yet)...

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)