Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +33.5%

This is one of my staple summer beers since I first got the nerve to drink any beer with fruit flavoring quite a few years ago. This and #9 are my never fail fruit beers. I know these in no way compare to some of the hard core european fruit offerings, and well they shouldn't. This is closer to the mow the lawn beer and they go down so easy. The color is almost straw with a hint of copper tone. The head is fair and lively, not much lacing. The aroma is a beautiful cherry blended with a bit of cereal/wheat as one might expect. It smells crisp and it tastes much the same. A light and refreshing wash of pilsner-like flavor laced with a decided cherry sweetness. Somewhat dry but also a bit watery for a quenching libation that finishes with a tasteful tartness. Nothing very complex and easy to drink many. This is my light beer, vaguely soda-esque, but it retains it's beer integrity in my book. May be too soda like for some beer fans but it works for me.

Durge, Jul 10, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +15%

Mostly clear yellow, with a pinkish red hue. A little of the pinkish color comes through to the head. Leaves alot of lace behind.
Bright clean, artificial, sugary cherry aroma.
Well balanced with hops. A slight dry bitter aftertaste.
Mouthfeel and drinkability are good, if you like the fruit.

Cherry is not my favorite flavor in a beer, but this is well crafted and balanced.
If you don't like the aroma try drinking it from the bottle.

Gump, Jul 06, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

Picked this up as part of Sam Adam's Summer Styles mixed 12 pack. 12oz bottle poured into pint glass, best before October 2007.

A: Pours a clear amber with a one inch head that fades into a thin cap, decent carbonation.

S: Wow, lots and lots of cherries with a yeasty background, its quite an inviting aroma and would smell like cherry soda if it were not for the yeasty backgound. It says cherry flavor on the bottle so there must be a bit of sugar added to this beer.

T/MF: This beer has an interesting effect when I took my first sip, it sort of made the back of my mouth seize up a bit (I'm not allergic to cherries so I'm not quite sure what the cause of this is, I'm not saying this is bad, just interesting) pretty smooth on the pallate with nice soft bubbly carbonation that spreads across the pallate. Cherry flavor dominates upfront as expected but stays away from tasting like cough syrup with a nice balance of grainy cracker, almost rice-cake like background taste that washes over the cherry in the beginning. Still, for me, tastes a bit too much like breakfast ceral and not enough like beer.

D: A good but not great beer, I'd say Blue Moon is better than this, but a pretty interesting offering if just a bit gimmicky. Would not pick this one up on a regular basis.

bluemoonswoon, Jul 06, 2007
3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

Sampled at The Spot in Bethel, cherry wheat looks really nice in the glass nice hazy gold with a great head and lacing. The smell is a little too fruity I would have maybe liked more malty balance. Same goes for the taste cherry flavor is somewhat artificial tasting and too sweet. Sweet aftertaste hurts mouthfeel and drinkability as well. Not an awful beer but definitely not an award winner either.

fank2788, Jul 06, 2007
3.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Part of the summer sampler 12 pack. Decent beer. Gold color with a medium head. Aroma just gave off a little sweetness. The cherry came through, thankfully, on the taste. Pleasantly sour. The label says it is crisp, and I would agree with that assessment. Refreshing, but there are a lot of other beers that fit that category.

lordofthewiens, Jul 05, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +28.8%

Pours a nice orange amber with a full, rocky off-white head. Pleasant cherry bouquet in the aroma. The palate features a very authentic tart cherry, a good degree of wheat malt sweetness and nice honey note throughout.

Honestly one of the best American fruit beers out there; the cheery flavor light, genuine and quite tasty. Pair that with some solid wheat flavors and that nice hint honey and you’ve got one very drinkable brew.

Recommended…

arguemaniac, Jul 02, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -28.8%

Pours great, looks great, even smells great. Cherries, a hint of brandy. Nice

First taste was not what I was expecting. As if someone had dropped a shot of cough syrup into the beer just beforehand, and it floated to the top. The initial taste mellows and is hard to notice later however, and it was rather easy to finish the pint off.

Not sure I'd buy this one again, and I'm a fan of every other Sam Adams product I've tried thus far.

WolfKeeper, Jun 27, 2007
1.15/5  rDev -63.3%

The beer pours to a nice deep red color with about a one inch thick head.

The aroma is overwhelmed with a maraschino cherry smell.

The taste is bad. As an earlier reviewer noted, the taste is a mix between cherry cough syrup and a wheat beer. Unfortunately my taste buds detected more cough syrup than beer. Any of the wheat / malt in the beer is totally disguised by the cherry dominance.

The beer is anything but subtle, unfortunately unlike a great IPA where the hops make a great taste, the cherry in this beer does not.

Not recommended, but the apperance is good.

JDBeer, Jun 27, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +24.6%

Poured into my pint glass/tumbler. This beer pours a clear amber golden color with a reddish glow. The head is about an inch thick when poured. Settles to a nice film layer with good lacing. Aromas of cherry and malt were present and not much else. It tastes sweet and malty with the cherry being the dominant flavor and is rounded out by a touch of wheat and hops. Not a very complex beer flavor wise, but quite good. Has a crisp and smooth, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink in the way a well crafted beer should be. Not the greatest beer I have ever had from these guys, but is it a good solid beer indeed.

Eric

neenerzig, Jun 24, 2007
3.23/5  rDev +3.2%

I'm not a fruit beer person myself, but this wasn't too bad.
Appearance was decent, an nice red glow with decent head.
Smell is inviting, bing cherries light malt
Taste is ok, just feels like its missing something.
Mouthfeel and drinkabilty are mid stream all the way

supercolter, Jun 18, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -13.7%

A: Morning haze color of copper orange and yellow sun. Respectable head towered at about 3/4 of an inch before slowly bubbling down. Medium levels of carbonation.

S: Aromas of light caramel malt and cherries are dominant. Sweetness borders on cloying, but can be resolved when reminded about the style and flavor. Not bad.

T: Light maltiness blooms into a cherry flavor that reminds me of Sucrets cherry lozenges. Not a plesant memory... Other than that, it's grainy and unrefined presentation isn't all that shabby.

M: Mild, light and somewhat bubbly. Could be refreshing on a hot summer day.

D: Not for me. The fake cherry flavor puts me off way too fast. Somethings amiss here...

Frozensoul327, Jun 18, 2007

This is one of my favorite beers. Aroma is strong; cherry scent is dominant. Color is deep golden honey-amber. Flavor is malty and pleasant, with a strong cherry overtone and wheaty components. Finish is smooth and pleasant. I am fond of cherries, which is one reason I like this particular beer.

Cyberkedi, Jun 16, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +25.6%

This beer is a nice change from the everyday domestic beers.No heavy carbonation and it doesn't have that watery finish of some beers.Good aftertaste of cherries no bitterness. I will drink this beer again!!! Highly recommended!! Just remember to bring a little spare cash with you.

matty, Jun 16, 2007
2.35/5  rDev -24.9%

First the positives. Pours a tawny red, and like most Sam Adams brews, the head is ample and the retention excellent. Mouthfeel is crisply carbonated; seems to have a thirst-quenching feel.

Negatives - Smells like an artificially flavored "macro" black cherry soda, and pretty much tastes like one too, minus the sugar. Wheat spine is nice, but the artificial cherry taste overpowers it. Drinkability is limited due to taste.

Upon closer inspection, I find that this is a "wheat ale brewed with real cherries and cherry flavor." My guess is that barely any real cherries were used, instead substituting the artificial cherry flavor. I suspect that this would be an excellent beer if ONLY real cherries were used. I am a Beer Advocate who believes that artificial flavors have no place in beer. If it's not cost-effective to make this using 100% actual cherries, as I'm sure it probably isn't, then maybe the beer shouldn't be made at all.

I'll finish my sixer, but with no great enjoyment.

Patrick999, Jun 14, 2007
1.65/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours an orangish color, with white head. The lacing clings to the sides nicely as you drink it.

Smells very sweet, like maraschino cherries. It lacks the authentic fruit smell of a good lambic. I'm not against adding fruit to a beer, but it should smell and taste natural. This smells too artificial.

Wow, Sam Adams made a mistake in judgment here. The taste is like cough syrup. Not syrupy, but watered down, carbonated cough syrup. Very bad brew. I wouldn't try it again even if it was the only thing available. I'd rather drink water or a soda.

jar2574, Jun 13, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a golden color with a faint haze. Maintains a creamy white head with decent lacing. The nose is dominated by a pleasing cherry aroma. A faint cherry bitterness is balanced out by a malt sweetness. While the nose is relatively fresh, the taste is of cherry cough drops. The initial sweetness on the tongue is quickly banished by dry, bland wheat. The wheat and cherry cough drop flavors are unable to blend together and both stick around long into the finish. The mouthfeel is creamy with a bit of water in the background. The mouthfeel and lack of any cloying sweetness allow me to finish the beer, but I certainly won't be having it again.

nullforge, Jun 12, 2007

Part of the Sam Adams summer pack. Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer pours a clear copper, forming a creamy 2 inch head, leaving medium rings of lace along the glass. The aroma is just like a blackcherry soda. This might be a turn-off to some, but I think it smells great! The taste is a little less strong, but not a disappointment. Cherry flavor mixed in with a light wheat ale. Thats about it. Simple but enjoyable. Light smooth mouthfeel and finish. Easy to drink. Overall, I actually enjoyed this brew. While I'm not sure if I could drink a sixer of this, I could see having one or two throughout the night. Definitely worth a try. I'm curious to try some of the mixes that people use with this beer.

beeragent, Jun 11, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the 12 oz. brown glass bottle into my straight sided glass tumbler. The one inch dark white head slowly dissapates and leaves a lace down the glass. This is not so different from the cherry lambic (Kreikbeer) I had on the sidewalk in Brussels pumped out of the wooden keg by hand with bits of cherry peel floating in the haze! Call this bitchfuel if you like, but this is not all that different from the real thing!

Just a thought,

barleyman

barleyman, Jun 10, 2007

Part of the Summer beers mixed 12 pack.The beer poured a clear golden amber color. A big fluffy one inch head which slowly fades to a leave just a little lacing. Aroma is of sweet cherries and little else. Taste is of tart cherries and sweet malt. A bit too sweet for me but not bad for a flavored wheat beer..

clemtig76, Jun 09, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -8%

a: coudy golden amber color with eigth inch of head that dissapears fast leaving average amount of lacing
s: the cherry aroma is very strong, kind of overwhelming, I thought the sweet smell was too strong
t: the cherry flavor dominates the palate with only hints of the yeast flavor
m: light to medium bodied average carbonation

overall, this is not a beer that I will seek out again, its way too sweet in my opinion

happygnome, Jun 08, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: It's a clear, golden color with a foamy one finger head. Retention was average and lacing was light.

Smell: It certainly has a strong cherry aroma. Perhaps a light touch of berry scents. Smells a little earthy. Very light malt and hop smells.

Taste: Very strong cherry flavor. It's a bit grainy and earthy. Very faint hops taste is noticeable. Slight bit of malty sweetness underneath.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Light bodied and very well carbonated. I personally don't like the taste very much, so I find it's drinkability extremely limited. Overall, it's a very average beer. One of the weakest Sam Adams offerings in my opinion.

prototypic, Jun 07, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -12.8%

I love wheat beers but this was a let down. Pours a clear golden color, others are talking about a cloudy pour, I had none of that, clearest wheat beer I've ever seen. 2 finger head stuck around a while leave small amounts of lace. Smells like cough syrup and I cant get over that. Taste is much better than the smell. Pretty crisp with hint of cherries and some hops. Moderate carbonation gives it a medium-light mouthfeel. Could possibly have another, but not interested in anymore. Just cant get over the smell!

bunnyhustle, Jun 06, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +34.2%

appearance - Cloudy dark yellow color. Large head but settled down later on. Nice lace.

smell - A beer that smells good! I haven't smelled a beer that had a heavy sent in awhile. Most of the time you smell hints of things, and they all smell the same. This was a nice. cherry , and wheat smell.

taste - Well balance, with cheeries, wheat, and hops.

mouthfeel -Medium body, not much carbination.

drinkability - I was surprised. I thought it was going to be sweet and I wouldn't like it. I loved it. Not sure if I could drink a lot of these those. You'll laugh, but it reminds me of Captain Crunch Berry Cereal. lol

auxiliary, Jun 06, 2007
1.45/5  rDev -53.7%

I'm going to have to give up on fruit beers. Opening the bottle I was overwhelmed with the smell of cherry cough syrup. The pour was ok, nice hazy reddish amber color. All I could taste was artificial cough syrup cherry flavor. Mouthfeel seemed ok but this is a beer that I could not finish.

srrn, Jun 05, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -10.5%

A - Very pale orange, almost clear around the edges with lots of bubbles rising up. Head is offwhite and fades steadily to an eighth inch and retains nicely. Lacing is slightly above average, sticking in sporadic patches.

S - Very sweet cherry juice with some earthy wheat stalk, but honestly you couldn't tell the difference between this and some cherry juice.

T - Taste is disappointingly bland. Starts very thin, both in texture and taste, slightly sweet, slightly sour and there's not much else you can coax out of this beer until swallowing. Finish is a nice crisp cherry.

M - Thin consistency and a good amount of carbonation. Crisp and summery but with very little body.

D - Looks good, smells..good...but this beer has very little taste to it.

umustdrink, Jun 05, 2007
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)