Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

I've got to say that I was somewhat disappointed by this one since I found I like most of what Sam Adams brews.

A: Light golden/yellow color. A bit darker than Miller Light with a similar head.

S: Right away you're hit with the smell of cherry. It was all that came through in the smell.

T: Again, cherry. I was hoping for maybe a hint of cherry and a hoegarden taste, but no. Cherry and a slight hint of yeast is all I found. It is a very sweet beer.

M: Felt watery and only slightly carbonated. Not a real good feel.

D: I drank this one slowly and sort of regretted ordering it.

windigo32, Feb 10, 2008

This is a very fruity beer with a powerful scent of cherries. It has a rich flavor of wheat malt and cherries noticeable in every sip. It's taste would best accompany a cooked sandwich or hamburger being sweet and fruity. The feel is bubbly on the tongue. It is an ok beer but not one I'd drink more then one of in a sitting.

hdofu, Feb 02, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +24%

A- Dark amber colored, quarter inch head turning into lacing in a short amount of time.

S- Smelled of a wheat brew then a distinct cherry taste

T- Wheat taste, followed by cherry. Not much else to speak of

M- More watery than I expected

D- I could maybe drink two of these in a sitting. I enjoy the taste but the amount of fruit would make me want a change

FightinScot, Feb 01, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I let it set for about 10 minutes to let the flavors come out. Poured into room temp pint glass.

Appearnce: Very light brown color. Had a big white creamy head, which settled into a thin layer.

Smell - As the name indicated, very pungent sweet cherry smell with no noticable hop aroma.

Taste - Like a maraschino cherry. Only way I could explain it.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, low carbonation.

Drinkability - Excellent beer to quaff down several in a sitting. Probably more resigned to spring/summer months though as opposed to winter. But none the less, I would recommend it to try.

kevman527, Jan 31, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -1%

Pours a nice, rich amber color. Smells delicious, although very sweet and fruity (reminds me of a heavily spiced pumpkin brew). Unfortunately, it's a bit too sweet for my liking. I know it's all natural flavoring, but it seems artificial. Perhaps because it's so strong. Cough medicine came to mind while drinking it.

My wife like it so I'd consider getting a six pack (and having her drink 5) but for the most part I'll only get a single every couple of years. There are better Sam Adams beers and better flavored beers (i.e. Southern Tier's Pumpking).

msolar, Jan 29, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours an amber color, small head that doesn't last long.

Smell is not as sweet as I would imagine, but the cherry tartness does come through with some malt aromas.

Taste has hints of cherries, but is not overwhelming for a fruit beer, decent malt presence, some bitterness in the aftertaste. Could have used more balance though, the tartness and the bitterness seemed to conflict.

deltatauhobbit, Jan 26, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Enjoyed from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

This is a pretty good and refreshing fruit beer. The beer pours very nicely with a light amber color topped by a thin, dense silky white head that remained throughout drinking it. It smelled of fresh wild cherries. The taste was quite crisp with strong wild cherry flavor and underlying wheat malt. The cherry flavor is the star of the show here. This would be a good dessert beer every once and a while, but I wouldn't want it every day.

cbleary, Jan 26, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -16%

This beer used to aggravate me to no end. Now I understand that it's just not much my style. I like fruit in my beer. I just don't like it to be my beer.

It starts out very well, with a finger of white froth capping a deep pinkish body. OK. But once I need to get close to it, the beer and I seem oil and water. It isn't as though there isn't a smell, just one that is all cherries throughout. It's a bit much for me, sadly, given the occasional whiff of malt struggling to break through the sea ice of cherry drowning out all else. Clearly, this affects the taste, leaving me to wonder if I should rinse my mouth of shave my tongue to cleanse the palate. That it's well-carbonated salvages what might be a cellar-dwelling mouthfeel, but not the drinkability. It's just too fruity, ONLY too fruity, for me.

I love Belgian-style beer, but it's well beyond the ample involvement of fruit. It's the complexity as well as the layering of fruit that grab me. Not here, though it's not a Belgian-style beer, to be clear.

It's a decent change of pace, and cherry lovers will dance in the streets everywhere with this. I, however, wished for balance that was ultimately unrequited.

Gehrig, Jan 24, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

12oz brown bottle with pry-off top. Freshness date on lable.

Pours a light amber color that is somewhat transparent. Brings out a white head that disipates with minimal lacing with poor retention. Nothing speical.

Smells of cherries, artificial cherry smell, i guess like cherry candy. The cherry aroma dominates the smell.

Taste of cherry flavoring at first along with a weak malt bite. Somehwat crisp. Minimal hopping with very, very slight bitterness that doesn't last very long. Not too balanced here, but hell, it's a fruit beer catered towards a certain target audience who probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Fairly drinkable if you can stand the flavoring.

Notes: It's a fruit beer, so some people are going to like this beer, and some people aren't. I'd say it would be a decent beer to try once, or maybe a good desert beer, or something to go along with a salad. Still for what it's trying to pull off, it does fairly well. It's a bland wheat ale that's flavored with cherries, readily available.

Hatch, Jan 23, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a nice red-tinged golden color, with good head, but not so much lacing. Has an excellent crips scent, straw-like with great fruit overtones. A great taste, too, although maybe a little overboard on the cherry. Still, a great fruited wheat beer, clean and crisp with a nice blending of the fruit. Goes down fine, would never say no to another.

JamesS, Jan 20, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +5.4%

This was all right. There is a real cherry background to it which I kind of liked. But it never really developed much complexity to it. The wheat beer behind the cherry flavor was all right too, but when mixed together, it didn't really go anywhere. The beer and cherry flavors did not seem to complement each other as well as they could have. I don't regret trying it, but I won't be buying a 6-pack.

Strix, Jan 17, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +26.2%

I do not normally like fruit beers, but this was a part of a mix pack, and I gave it a try. I am pleasantly surprised. I have even had this very beer before and not liked it, but I like it this time. Might be the glass - .5 liter wheat beer glass. This helps taste the cherry, which may be a tad too much.

MerkinMan, Jan 13, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +23%

A great beer to mix it up a little.
A: Nice amber in a glass. Very little head. Just a loose lacing exists during the whole experience.
S: Cherries and Cheeries.
T: Cherries, followed by malt, then a splash of bitterness to wash away the cherries. Nice finish.
M: Light with medium carbonation
D: I could probably only have 2 of these in a row, just because of the fruit style, but otherwise, very drinkable.
A great beer to pair with dessert. Nice job BBC.

wardough, Jan 12, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

A decent dark gold colour with a very nice head and lacing.

Smells like an average wheat beer but with cherry very conspicuous.

More cherry in the taste than I expected, I could take it or leave it really. It reminds me a bit of cough syrup flavouring. The wheat beer behind the cherry is pretty good.

Mouthfeel is and good smooth with acceptable mid-range carbonation.

Drinkability is ok I could drink a few of these during the winter and probably enjoy them, but I wouldn't say that this will become one of my regulars.

Scribbles, Jan 07, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a nice twist on a fruit/vegetable beer.

I love cherries but perhaps not as much as Sam Adams. They killed my palate with the overwhelming taste of cherry in this beer.

I liked the tartness of this beer and appreciate the effort in this beer.

I have a 6-pack to kill. I think I'll take my time with it.

slagle9480, Dec 31, 2007
3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

Dark golden/amber ale, small dissapearing off white head. Strong cherry cough medicine aroma, not bad at this time of year! After a while the harsh medicinal tone goes and it has a scent of glazed cherries. Pretty straighforward taste, cherry dominates, but not as sweet as the nose might lead one to believe. Actually gets a wee bit bitter on the end, like cherry pits. Mouthfeel is thin, and its only the pleasing carbonation that stops it being downright watery. What can I say, a pleasant enough drink, better in hotter weather.

Reidrover, Dec 25, 2007
2.28/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

I'm generally fine with most of the Sam Adams products, especially those that are a little out of the ordinary i.e. imperial pilsner. However, their Cherry Wheat misses the mark. The look is fine - nice, golden color with a nice white head that leaves some lacing. The smell is not so great - maraschino cherry syrup; very sweet and cloying. The taste is not so cloying, but still nothing good - too sweet when there should be some tartness. Mouthfeel is like soda bordering on harsh. Yeah, this isn't my cup of tea, but I could see people enjoying this one. It's like beer, but not. Recommendation to avoid.

montageman, Dec 12, 2007
1.35/5  rDev -56.9%

I drank this, against my will, out of a 12 ounce bottle. This stuff is haggard. If i wanted to drink robitussin, i would go to the pharmacy and drink that. Samuel Adams beers are usually pretty decent, with some being outright tasty but this is terrible.

I'd rather drink King Cobra, good lord.

Steaks, Dec 11, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +34.2%

12 ounce bottle in Pilsner glass

A: Reddish hazelnut with almost no head and light lacing.

S: cherry slightly sweet. with slight lager overtone.

T: Cherry and Sam Adams Lager mix. A little hoppy. flavor stays, but in a good way.

M: Mouthfeel is thin and cherry flavor stays till the next mouthful.

D: Not the best, but for some reason I Love this beer.
Great with Spicy Wings!!!

flatblack80, Dec 07, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Served in a 20-ounce pilsner glass at Chili's.

A: Poured a slightly red, bubbly looking golden yellow with a minimal head of loose foam.

S: Smells of straight up cherry; a little sour, and slightly sweet. Not too much else in the nose. Like Cherry Coke.

T: Tastes like a straight up lager with cherry extract added. Not as bad as it sounds though, albeit, not very complex. There's a slight hop bitterness, but it's mostly sweet cherry and grain.

M: Mouthfeel is thin and brisk. The artificial cherry flavor coats a bit.

D: I could have had another, but I switched it up to something more complicated afterwards. Not bad, but probably more suited to the summer months. Fairly drinkable.

Overall, a pretty decent fruit beer. Not being a big fan of the style, I liked this SA addition. I don;t think I could take down a whole 6-pack, and at 5.2%, it's not the fruit beer you take very lightly. It can sneak up on you, so I recommend it for its sneakiness.

Gambrinus1184, Dec 01, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -1%

The color is a light amber that is a little cloudy and has some hints of an orange tint to it as well. It definitely is a beer that smells like cherries mixed with a little bit of a hoppy smell. Also the cherry smells remind me of maraschinos or those luden's cough drops. The taste is alright as one can taste some kind of cherry taste mixed in but it is not too prevalent. The aftertaste is a bit similar to what one would get from drinking a cherry coke which is a light cherry taste lingering on the tongue. Overall, it is an average beer and at least it is not too fruity. One can tell that this is a beer and not some kind of malt beverage, which is nice. My biggest complaint would be that there does not really seem to be a balance between the hops and the cherries too much. Sometimes it almost seems like the two flavors are clashing with each other.

jeonseh, Nov 26, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: It was an average yellow for a beer of this nature. It was a little hazy but not much.

Smell: Strong old fashioned cherry soda smell. It is very sweet you almost for get it is a beer.

Taste: There was a little bit of beer flavor but not much. The cherry kind over powers the beer taste

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: I could have a few of thes but I think that I would get tired of them quick. I do however, think they would be good with a nice cigar.

MTNboy, Nov 18, 2007
3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

I bought a six-pack of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Ale at a grocery store. Limited availability in my area. Poured into a pint tumbler.

Pours a rich gold color and is hazy. A modest foamy white head forms, but is not resilient. Still moderate lacing appears on the glass.

The smell is good with a sweet cherry aroma dominating. The smell is one-dimensional but interesting.

Taste is predictably about cherries, with something of an artificial cherry flavor, along with a mild medicinal taste, like a cough syrup. Not the most natural tasting brew. There is a bit of a pie crust flavor in the background, and a mildly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good, crisp and full-bodied, without being cloying. I was expecting a cherry syrup consistency, which wasn't there.

Average drinkability on this one. It's an interesting beer, but I wouldn't want to drink much of it. It's a little too sweet to be sessionable. It would be a good special occasion desert beer.

RJLarse, Nov 05, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +55%

First of all I would like to say I'm going to be very open minded with any review that I do knowing that everyone has their dislikes and likes. I would like to start out by saying for a 5.35% alcohol content beer this is a very good choice to get with the ladys as it is smooth and lacks that overall beer taste alot of woman despise. I am reviewing this as a flavored beer cause thats what it is. If your not the flavor beer kind of person don't waste your time purchasing this. I think the smell of this beers is amazing smelling of cherrys of course. The head is really thick and just perfect. The taste is very smooth cherry taste with a faint wheat flavor with no sign of any alcohol taste around I was surprised to find out its alcohol content. Overall I think this beer is a excellent choice best flavored beer I've ever had. Samuel Adams has always been my favorite beer company and they have not failed me on this one.

LegendaAcBn, Nov 04, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours out light yellow with a modest white head. The smell is big on the cherries, very tart, quite appealing.

The flavour starts with a strange off-base cherry twang and takes a long time before allowing the malts to assert themselves at all A wheaty backbone to the beer does show up if you let it sit in your mouth for a few seconds. The cherry flavour comes back on the finish. A strange taste to evaluate, I like it once the malts come in, but the front end is abrasive.

The mouthfeel on this, about average. It's a wheat beer with minimal hopping. Drinkability, well, not fantastic given the flavour.

The bottom line: The smell on this gave me hope, the flavour took it away. I like fruit and vegetable beers, but this one just has something wonky going on in the flavour department. A disappointment.

CortexBomb, Oct 29, 2007
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)