Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
BrandonUB

Maryland

4.3/5  rDev +36.9%

One of my absolute favorities, as I feel that's it's rare for a beer to be made into EXACTLY what it was intended to be as much so as Cherry Wheat. The cherry taste here is just wonderful at the start, with enough carbonation to really set it off. Somehow, the Sam cherries manage to tast better than your typical cherry. The finish is stronger on the wheat flavor and is extremely clean. Almost everyone I know enjoys this, even if they aren't typically into craft beers.

11-17-2006 21:41:53 | More by BrandonUB
DogFood11

3.9/5  rDev +24.2%

Poured into a pils glass it forms a nice whispy white head that leaves lots of lace behind. Slightly hazed yellow body that has a tint towards amber in the core.

Cherries are delightfull and I'm glad they didn't have them as an afterthought but more or less the main theme. Baked bread enters the picture and gives it some needed balance and depth. Touch of hay and dry grass here and there. Carbonation has enough force to sizzle in the taste and a nice exit before the finish.

Notes: I found this really enjoyable. I could see this as a nice daytime brew and quenching enough for hot weather.

11-17-2006 02:10:07 | More by DogFood11
tempest

3.18/5  rDev +1.3%

It's not good or bad, it just is. Basically tastes like cherry on a triscuit. There's a strong sweet cherry flavor on top of white american wheat. Smells of mostly cherries with a little wheat. Not really my taste, but if you're a beer noob or into fruit beer its worth a shot. Some of my friends that enjoy craft beer also love this stuff so it can't be too bad.

11-13-2006 06:06:04 | More by tempest
BeerSox

4.22/5  rDev +34.4%

12oz bottle into mug

Coudy amber hue with a touch of a red tint. About a one inch off-white head which slowly settles to a foamy cap. String lacing along the glass.

Very strong cherry aromas, with not much else coming through.

Thick syrupy cherry flavor along with bits of wheat malt flavor. Bits of bitterness in the back of the mouth. Bit of a chewy feel from the medium body and the low carbonation.

This is a very enjoyable beer in my opinion, artificial flavoring or not. I guess some people find it too sweet. This one goes well after a dinner as a good dessert beer.

11-12-2006 01:19:20 | More by BeerSox
Cadyfatcat

3.33/5  rDev +6.1%

cloudy pale orange, creamy head
loads of sour cherries on the nose

Cherries tast a little artificial, mouthfeel is very lively. The cherry taste is a little sour, not too sweet, and dominates the entire taste profile. Cherries are faded out by a grainy dryness. Brew is thin though, I would have liked to see a more robust malt bill to stand up to these cherries, more wheat character as well. I think more prominent characteristics of a traditional amber ale to accompany cherries would improve this one. But very refreshing and surprisingly drinkable despite my criticism.

11-02-2006 22:10:36 | More by Cadyfatcat
thefenst

2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

I got this beer in a Sam Adams mixed 12-pack.
Poured into a pilsener glass for lack of other clean glassware.
The beer looks very pretty, an light amber with burgandy overtones.
It smells decent, kind of a mix between a hefeweizen and cherry soda.
When I first took a sip of this beer, I liked it. It starts off in taste like a normal weissebier, which I love. However, with each additional sip, I felt like I was drinking Sam Adam's with a cherry Luden's cough drop in my mouth.
If you like cherry soda (think IBC Black Cherry) and Sam Adams Hefeweizen, you might like this, as it pretty much tastes like those two beverages mixed together.
This beer is refreshingly carbonated and I found it to be best when fairly cold (around 40-45F).
This could be a very good beer were it not for this artificial cherry flavor. It is very drinkable and refreshing, and wouldn't be a bad choice when trying to convert people from macros.
I couldn't drink more than a couple of these, though.

10-30-2006 20:30:07 | More by thefenst
BeerRun13

3.7/5  rDev +17.8%

A gentle pour is required to keep this one in check. Comes out a clear golden with an orange tint. Thick foamy white head leaves some okay lace.
Sweet wheat and malt aroma in the background. Strong sour cherry up front. Nice aroma.
Overall it's fruity sweet with a tart touch. Cherries are strong, but you get some other fruitiness in the flavor maybe from the wheat or yeast. A touch of hops in the back.
Light to medium bodied. HIGHLY carbonated. Kind of dry at the finish.
I really like the combination, but it I think it could be done better. It is good though and highly drinkable.

10-27-2006 23:25:55 | More by BeerRun13
nortmand

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

Cloudy red pour with a relatively sturdy, bone white head.

Smell is dominated by benzaldehyde, aka maraschino cherries.

Flavor is similar. Very maraschino cherry-y. A bit of tartness, too.

Fairly refreshing, but very strong cherry flavor. Also, too much of this gives me terrible headaches.

10-24-2006 16:55:14 | More by nortmand
malcontent

3.63/5  rDev +15.6%

This yields just a small amount of head with spotty lacing at best. However, it does sport an attractive hazy auburn body.

The aromas are firmly rooted in (shock!) Cherry and wheat with the added kick of vanilla.

Surprisingly only slightly cherry flavored with much of the taste focusing on a wheat, cereal taste. I would almost describe the experience of drinking this beer as eating a few cherries, waiting a minute, and then eating a cracker. Strange but not bad.

Nicely carbonated with a (I think) pleasant thickness on the finish. Almost the sensation of swallowing oatmeal.

Despite the refreshing nature of the body, the oatmeal-like sensation doesn’t lend itself to continuous consumption. Two or three tops and you’re done. But then again, as we all respect beer we would never drink more than that anyway, would we…

10-23-2006 02:10:39 | More by malcontent
BBM

3.08/5  rDev -1.9%

I had this beer on tap at a local ale house. It pours a medium orange with a thin white head. The smell is very pleasant, although it is obviously fake cherry. It almost has the aroma of a soda pop, with just a hint of wheat.

Unfortunately it almost has a taste of a soda pop too, since the fake cherry overpowers any subtleties the beer may have. It certainly isn't a bad flavor if you're looking for something less beer-like, but if you read this website you probably are looking for a good beer. I realize it's a fruit beer, but even most fruit beers have redeeming beer-like qualities. It also is a little too carbonated, further conveying soft drink over alcoholic beverage.

You can tell there is a good beer hiding somewhere in here, but it is overpowered by the other factors I mentioned. It's in no way bad, but even for a fruit beer it is a bit lacking. If you really like cherry colas with a mild wheat aftertaste, then by all means enjoy. It's worth a try, but having a few in a row won't be as easy.

10-17-2006 17:36:23 | More by BBM
AChamberlain

2.2/5  rDev -29.9%

This is a departure for me, but I was at my cousin's wedding and was feeling adventurous. Served from a 12 oz bottle.

A: One-inch head.
S: Strong cherry smell, but chemical cherries.
T: Strong medicinal flavor, like child cough syrup.
MF: The mouthfeel was the best part of this beer. It was smooth and medium bodied.
D: Low. Not impressed at all.

This won't prejudice me in the future. I will stay open.

10-17-2006 01:53:27 | More by AChamberlain
jpkoch1962

Indiana

3.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Normally I don't drink fruit ales, but after passing The Cherry Wheat Ale for several months I gave it a try.

Served at 40 Deg in a pint glass. Light amber color, almost neutral aroma save a very faint aroma of cheeries. The taste was a refreshing blend of a mild wheat ale and fresh cherries. I was surprised on how well balanced this was. Both the middle and finish were smooth, and there was only a moderate aftertaste which led to some subtraction in dinkability points. Not a bad brew if you are into fruit ales.

10-16-2006 19:45:17 | More by jpkoch1962
pgenius

3.18/5  rDev +1.3%

This is certainly an interesting brew and I gave it a 3.5 in the taste department just for that fact, although, I wouldn't care for another. First off, it looked and smelled great. From the first sip you get blasted with the cherry flavor with a mild wheat taste. But its all about the cherries with this one I guess. What your left with is a candy-like beer that leaves a sugary feeling in your mouth and its somewhat reminiscent of a cough drop / medicine-like cherry taste by the end of your bottle. Interesting, but awkward.

10-12-2006 07:25:23 | More by pgenius
qmainracing

3.53/5  rDev +12.4%

A – Light golden/amber color with a decent 1” head after pouring into a pint glass. The head dissipates slowly and leaves lacing all of the way down the glass.

S – Overly artificial cherry, hard to smell any beer.

T – The first taste I noticed was the cherry, not nearly as overpowering as I would have thought based on the smell. The cherry also does not taste as artificial as it smells. It seemsj to cover up the taste of the beer rather than compliment it. The beer is balanced fairly well, maybe a tad too sweet.

M – A very crisp and smooth beer.

D – Very drinkable despite the sweetness, would drink another…I think I will now…

Poured out of a bottle, into a pint glass. Feb 07’ freshness date.

10-12-2006 01:56:44 | More by qmainracing
pumarocks

4.3/5  rDev +36.9%

This is a great tasting beer. It is sweet and mild with just the right amount of hops in this beer drinker's opinion. It reminds me of the Warrant video "Cherry Pie" for some odd reason. It goes great with cheese, pretzels, and I would imagine dessert. Highly drinkable, highly recommended.

10-11-2006 19:31:25 | More by pumarocks
strangefate

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Cherry Wheat LOOKS great. Other than that, it's a pretty mediocre beer. It pours a nice orange/amber/brown with a good frothy head. That as I suggested, may be the best part. The smell however, is also not too bad. Nothing but pure [carbonated] cherries. Those cherries hit your taste buds pretty immediately, are very sweet, and are very prominent throughout the drink, but you're left with an almost macro after taste. And like macros, it's pretty watery and kind of weak as well. At times it almost doesn't seem like a beer.

At first I didn't think I would be able to drink many of these, however after one and a half or so and my palate getting used to the sweet cherry overload, it's not very hard to drink at all, perhaps that's because it is pretty watery and weak. With that said, it's not a bad a beer to buy at a place that only carries macros, the big imports, Sam Adams and the like, but it definitely leaves something to be desired -- something that reminds you while you're drinking "oh yeah, this is beer I'm drinking".

10-11-2006 06:35:58 | More by strangefate
TheBierBand

4.58/5  rDev +45.9%

The pour was satisfied with a thick frothy 1" head.

The appearance was rich as you would expect from Sam.

The smell was phenominal! You could get a hint from the cherry extract that just put this right over the top in this Beer Advocate's opinion.

Taste was fantastic. I really enjoyed the hint of cherry flavor. It was certianly not overpowering.... just a hint. Just the right amount of hoppiness.

These go down real nice. I will continue to have this on my short list of beers to keep in stock.

10-09-2006 19:11:24 | More by TheBierBand
MtnBikingandBeer

2.63/5  rDev -16.2%

App. - Pours nice orange/amber with tight head that lingers for quite a while and leaves a nice lace through finish.

Smell - Cherries, Cherries, Cherries.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Cherries, Cherries, Cherries. First couple of tastes show slight wheat characteristics, but overall, very sweet cherry/candy like taste. Even the mouthfeel seems sugary/sticky and the fruity tast lingers.

Overall - I've had this several times over the years and each time I come back thinking that I'll like it, but one glass of this and I'm set. A nice break once in a while, but just too sweet for my liking and definitely not a session brew.

10-04-2006 02:59:16 | More by MtnBikingandBeer
pmcadamis

3.28/5  rDev +4.5%

Amber to orange brew with a big white rolling three finger head that sticks around for quite a while. A nice nitro-like cascading effect was observed after an aggressive pour.

Smells primarily like cherries and wheat. Big surprise. Smells like cheery candy....pretty much one-sided but pleasant and aromatic.

Tastes like cherries on top of a nice mild American wheat beer. According to the lable, there are both real cherries and cherry extract in this brew, and I can taste the two distict flavors. The real cherry or cherry pie filling flavor plays second fiddle to a candy-like cherry tootsie pop taste.

No real hop presence, but hops seem to be in there for balance. A nice malty backbone supports all the cherryness, and this is refreshing and light as a wheat beer should be.

This is an easy drinking, unintimidating brew that would be liked by non-BA's as well. In fact, my dad (who I keep trying to get away from BMC crap) really liked this...really this is the first beer that I've ever heard him say that he wouold actually buy (especially when I told him that a sixer of this at Cub Foods is really not very much more expensive than a sixer of Bud Light bottles).

I'm going to spring one of these on my girlfiriend tonight at dinner. I think that she will realy like it. I personally enjoy the novelty of a cherry beer, but it has essentially zero complexity, and it's really a mediocre beer.

10-02-2006 21:38:58 | More by pmcadamis
BlackJeremiah

2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

12 oz. bottle, poured into a snifter.

A: Light amber in color, fluffy, 1 1/2" head, leaving lots and lots of great lacing.

S: Maraschino and dark cherries really dominate this, to a fault. Hints of bready malt and yeast, maybe some candied sugar. The scent is really very one-dimensional, like someone poured grenadine in it.

T: Dark cherry tartness, some maraschino sweetness--but thankfully not a lot. Sugars, malt, and yeast--all very mild and far too subtle. Again, the taste is a bit one-sided, but not as much as the scent.

M: Light, almost hollow. Like everything else here, it's neither offensive nor exceptional. It just seems like a real lack of thought and effort went into this one.

D: Easy to drink, for sure, but so is a Long Island Iced Tea. This is not the fruit-brewed beer I would reach for--there are many, many better examples out there. That being said, if someone put a bottle in front of me, I would drink it without complaint.

The BBC has yet to impress me with its fruit characteristics in any of its beers. Like the gorgeous girl at the party whose favorite song is the new Chingy single, this is darn good looking, but you wouldn't want to live with it.

09-29-2006 03:02:40 | More by BlackJeremiah
RBorsato

3.58/5  rDev +14%

Golden with light amber notes, a low white head, good carbonation, and decent lace rings. Nice almost real cherry aroma but a bit like cherry cough syrup. Decent spicy cherry fruit flavors but a bit more medicinal than I remember the draft version being. Medium bodied and smooth.

Per Label: "Wheat Ale Brewed with Real Cherries and Cherry Flavor" & "Michigan Cherries and Wheat Malt"

Per BB website: 13.15 P / 1.0128 SG. 5.4% ABV.
Malts: 2-Row Pale, Malted Wheat, Munich.
Hops: Tettnang Tettnanger.
Michigan cherries as well as a touch of honey.

Enjoy Before: Sep '06 (notched)
Tasted: 09/07/06

09-25-2006 16:58:22 | More by RBorsato
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

3.08/5  rDev -1.9%

AP: Clear, medium amber in color, big white head that dissipates to a 1/8" thick covering

Smell: Raspberry, cranberry, cherry with wheat. pretty simple.

Taste: a cough-syrup like raspberry swetness, wheat malt.

MF: Crisp but very thin.

DA: Perhaps this is just not my syle...

09-24-2006 23:03:49 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
Tallboy

Antarctica

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearence: A lazy- hazy orange with a generous finger of white head that evaporated rather slowly.
Scent- Predominantly cherry with just a hint of wheat and hops.
Taste: The cherry was nice and ritch at first. then I started to taste more of the wheat and dry malt flavors that mixed just right with the carbonation.
Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation with a thin cherry influenced aftertaste.
Drinkability: Not a bad offering from Samuel Adams. I would recomend a try or two to someone looking for a change of pace.

09-22-2006 19:36:45 | More by Tallboy
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

3.68/5  rDev +17.2%

Orange/red translucent body with about an inch and a half of head and decent lacing. One-dimensional aroma, cherry. Cherry dominates flavor with some malt and yeast... If I were bigger on cherries, I'd probably like it better. My only real complaint about this beer is its lack of complexity. But it's a tasty, medium-boddied, pleasant little beer.

09-20-2006 01:39:51 | More by MrHurmateeowish
StyAndOrDem

3.8/5  rDev +21%

First had a sip of my friends and then I went to buy a six pack almost immediately.

The beer looks good and smells good.
I was very impressed with the initial taste but after the third or fourth bottle, I really didnt want anymore.

Ive also had this on tap. Usually have one of these for every 3-4 drinks.

09-15-2006 00:31:56 | More by StyAndOrDem
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)