Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

I have reviewed this beer before, and honestly, I think I made the mistake of not reviewing it with an open enough mind, as I will admit, I am normally not a big fan of this style of brew. That said, two of them came in the Summer Mix Pack, so I figured I would try it again.

A: Looks like a good substantial wheat ale, pours w/a good amount of head and the beer looks kind of a dark/yellow amber color.

S: Wheat and cherries all the way. Cherries really seem to dominate.

T & M: Cherry flavor hits the tongue up front, immediately balanced by the malty wheat flavor. Cherry flavor subtly rides out through the entire sip, and then enough hops kick in to round things out. The after taste it leaves is just subtle cherries and the wheat malt flavor.

D: Again, I will admit I am normally not a fan of this style of brew. However, the BBC has done a good job for the style, as the cherry flavor isn't overdone, and it's actually fairly refreshing brew.

AustinBeerLvr, May 19, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +35.8%

Smells almost overpoweringly of cherry, but personally thats fine. Nice color and head, with decent retention. The taste of the wheat beer mixed perfectly with the cherry. Alot of fruit beers taste too much of beer, not enough of fruit. This beer does a good job of balancing the two. Leaves a fine after taste, and mixes well with most kinds of foods.

Mumps, May 18, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +7%

Eye:Lively looking and dark gold and crystal clear. Head is a white creamy foam, retention is alright, lacing is also alright.

Nose: Real strong intense cherry flavor. Smells like I just opened a jar of cherries for some ice cream. Malt and hop flavors hidden-none. I mean if you're looking for some fruit aroma here it is.

Tongue: First flavor to hit the tongue and the last to leave is the wheat flavor of this brew. Sandwiched in between is the strong almost overpowering cherry flavor. Hops are there at the very end with just enough bitterness to balance this out.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: I find the light body and moderate levels of carbonation to be appropriate for this style. Nothing too special in the mouthfeel. In my opinion it would be hard to drink more than one of these back-to-back. The cherry flavor is too strong, overpowering. This brew is more juice-like than beer-like. This is one fruit beer that I can see being refreshing on an extremely hot day, however I think that it is just too much cherry in this brew for it to be drunk on any other type of day. I'll probably not be buying this again, there are much better fruit beers out there.

becktone, May 18, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Cherry o my.
this beer smells like a cherry bomb. I guess that is good if your are into frutity beers or whatever. But its not really for me. The taste was also very cherrific. However, I did notice a wheat flavor too it that I liked somewhat. I can not drink SA's cranberry lambic but this is I can stand to a degree or two. It finishes secent enough and has a an alright mouthfeel. Not my first choice but ok.

ttu94, May 17, 2007
3.13/5  rDev 0%

12oz brown bottle

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat was copper in color with a white head. The head had decent retention and left some lacing behind. The aroma was mostly cherries. The taste was cherries with some light malt. It was sweet upfront with a dry finish. It was medium-light in body with plenty of carbonation. Drinkabilty was average. It's a decent beer that pairs well with a fruity dessert.

afinepilsner, May 17, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +27.2%

On tap poured into a pint glass, pours an golden copper color with a large amount of carbonation flowing in the glass. Smell is of strong cherries in the nose also a bit of roasted character. Taste is actually pretty good, imo this beer is better on tap it has a malty character to it more than it has that cherry taste, it was very good and a bit chewy and made me want to eat a good meal. I could drink this on tap all day long it went down smooth and I could drink this all day long, unlike other fruity beers that I could only tolerate a few of.

gunnerman, May 15, 2007
3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured in a 12oz pilsner shape glass,
Color:...light orange/ burnt golden hue
Head/lace:...nice lace down side of glass, small head
Mouth feel:...watery, light and Very carbonated when poured slowly.
Smell:...Very cherry, not much else
Taste:...ever had a Maraschino cherry or cherry flavored liquid medicine? the cherry taste reminded me of that. no real bitterness very smooth finish.
Nice warm weather beer in my opinon.Would rather have a pete's strawberry blond though if I wanted a domestic summer fruit beer.

Na Zdrowie!

hummni, May 14, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +15%

Had this one a couple years back and wasn't very impressed with the strong cherry flavor (without much else). Appearance is amber-copper color, a little bit of head. Nose is all cherry. Taste is likewise mostly cherry, only I didn't find it offensive or jarring like I did initially (although the buddy of mine who also got a bottle thought it was crap). Seriously, there's not much else I can say about the flavor, other than that it is fairly fruity and sweet, almost like juice. Feel is medium bodied, with good carbonation. Overall, not particularly complex and only for those who like fruit juice.

soupyman10, May 11, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours out an apricot color with a good deal of carbonation in the body and a huge, creamy head with dimples all along the top. As the head slowly recedes, it leaves thick, raised lacing on the glass. The aroma is a big punch of maraschino cherries with some backing wheatiness. Not much else. Cherry flavor tastes too artificial and with a nutrasweet like flavor. The wheat and grain come trough a bit, but the cherry flavoring is too much. Mouthfeel is kind of fulsome with barely any carbonation felt on the tongue, despite the appearance of moderate carbonation. Too flat feeling. I'll manage to finish the bottle, but it will be reminiscent of a chore.

goochpunch, May 10, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -16%

This brew poured to a slightly hazy golden color with a good sized white head that had good retention and left a good amount of lacing, over all it is a good looking brew. The aroma screams cherries, to be frank that is really all I am picking up, they give off a very sweet scent that to me seems too much. The flavor again seems to be all about the cherries which in my opinion are way over the top. It almost has a cherry coke flavor to it. If you thought the nose had a strong cherry presence, you haven’t seen anything yet! I suppose that some folks might enjoy such a brew but the cherry flavor seems to be way out of balance with a slight artificial taste. To me this one is not a keeper, would like to have something different in the summer mix pack.

Stimack, May 09, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +55%

This beer pours a light pale color. Aroma is similar to cherry coke and cherries in general, which isn't bad because it does live up to it's name in aroma. The taste has a strong cherry essence with some hints of wheat in the background. Again, perhaps too sweet or too heavy on the strawberry. Still a well balanced beer that I feel is worthier than other styles attempted by SA.

Brad007, May 06, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

Highly filtered, clear light orange with a 3 finger, long lasting mountain of foam.

Smells almost exactly like black cherry ice cream. A hint of sugar cookies invades the otherwise unidimensional cherry aroma.

Taste seems tailored to foo-foo fruit alcopop drinkers. There's a sort of cherry bubblegum over top of cherry frosted, slightly undercooked cherry cake. Hops? Who knows! Wheat? Could be anywhere! The flavor isn't off-putting, but it's almost as if the brewery aimed to make liquid confectionaries. A silly, laughable beer that I'm almost embarassed to have tried.

shirfan, May 05, 2007
1.4/5  rDev -55.3%

OK, this one was bad bad bad. Tastes like discount cherry soda mixed with beer, or cough drops. Sam Adams was 6 bucks a 6 pack if you bought two 6 packs, so I picked up a case of this stuff. I would have rather had spent that 6 bucks on a 40 of Old English 800. Yes, this beer is that bad. If you want something fruity, buy cider or a malt beverage like Smirnoff Ice. This beer should not exist.

liquidnoise, May 04, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +26.2%

A friend brought a six-pack of this over for Hotfest and left a few in the fridge.

Appearance: gold with a slight haze; a nice 3/4" head on the pour; looks pretty nice
Smell: cherries
Taste: cherries with some sweet malt; very pleasant flavor
Mouthfeel: too thin; i wish there was some thicker fruit beers out there
Drinkability: nice; i could put down a few of these in a night

Applesauce1, Apr 30, 2007
3.38/5  rDev +8%

Pours a four-finger white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Clear amber color. Light-medium bodied and light carbonation. Strong cherry nose. Flavor is all cherry and no wheat, clean finish. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capitol Convenience Concord, NH.

jdhilt, Apr 26, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat [Ale] poured from bottle to U.K. pint glass.

Lacing sticks strongly to glass. Relatively clear, little cloudiness. Brown honey, maybe light copper in color. Very strong cherry aroma. Starts sweet with a pleasantly mild aftertaste. The cherry is less noticeable in the taste than the aroma. The wheat is more noticeable after a few seconds. Mild hops. Mouthfeel was a little understated. Drinkable for session, but it would not be my first choice.

Overall, not bad for a fruit beer. I would have preferred a little more cherry flavor versus aroma, and stronger hops and mouthfeel. Not a bad beer by my standards.

odietrying, Apr 26, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +7%

Picked up this single for a buck and a half at Grapes and Hops down in Fayetteville. Pours a nice, deep copper color with a decent cap of foamy head. Nose is delicious but smellls more like a jar of marachino cherries than a beer, a little artificial too although still appetizing.

The wheat notes are more evident in the sip than the smell, especially in the aftertaste, although a bit cloying in the finish and the whole thing is masked in strong fake cherry syrup. Mouthfeel is nice and keeps this beer tolerable. I could see drinking one as a change of pace or on a hot day but probably wouldn't look for a sixer; too sweet and un-natural tasting.

daliandragon, Apr 24, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -8.9%

Before I drank beer, I remember having a roomate who raved that this was his favorite beer, and he truly missed it after having stopped drinking for a while...so I've wanted to try it, and I've stumbled across a freebie, so here goes. It's a pale color when a foamy head and is slightly cloudy due to the less-than filtered wheat style, I'm assuming. Looks good. Smells really delicious, like a fruit beer should, and was appealing to those who aren't beer purists in particular, as it smells legitimately fruity. I dug the aroma of cherry's being so strong and not seeming too artificial. The taste tough - up front its good, but right away I taste medicinal cherry cough syrup. I can't taste anything else after that, either. It's tart and not a sugar bomb, but not noticably hoppy...It's hard to want to call this a beer to be honest. You'll love it or you'll hate it as is. Not all that beer like, which is not necessarily a negative. But in taste alone (thinking of it as a desert drink), I couldn't enjoy this. Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, not watery or light-beer like, but nothing full as other wheat beers. I wouldn't drink this again honestly...unless there was absolutely nothing else around, and I imagine there would be long periods of time between sips to help me forget just how medicinal it is, only to take another sip, remember...and not come back to it for a while or put it down unfinished. YMMV, but I cant get into it. Nice try, Sam.

Liquids, Apr 23, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +24.6%

Light golden copper color poured with an average size white head. There was some nice lacing rings left behind.

Sweet cherries dominate the aroma. Almost artificial in smell. Some wheat comes through in the background. Smells more like cherry candy than beer. However, I kinda like it.

The flavor isn't quite as sweet as the smell. Starts with the sweet cherry then goes into the light wheat flavor and just a hint of hops near the finish. Very enjoyable on a warm afternoon. I actually tasted this as a black&tan made with Guinness, also...not too bad, kinda like black cherry soda.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium. Very easy to drink, but the artificial cherry notes may start to get to you after a couple or three.

Imstillthegman, Apr 22, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +19.2%

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
Bottle into glass:

This beer pours a honey clear brown with many bubbles. The thick white foam head lasts a long time, never fully disappearing, leaving think lacing behind. The small is too sweet; it smells like cherry syrup, with only a subtle hint of beer at all. The taste on the other hand is great: not too sweet and with only a hint of cherries. The mouth feel is full but not creamy, very refreshing and easy to drink. The bubbles are not really present in the mouth feel that much.

UkiPiper, Apr 16, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +26.2%

I am normally opposed to the idea of "fruity" beers but this one was done very nicely. The smell is really sweet however the flavor is not too sweet. Unlike some other fruity beers you can still taste the beers in this Sam Adams. It was easy to drink but I can't see myself buying it a lot just because you have to be in the right mood for it.

michfan23, Apr 14, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a hazy dark gold color with a 1 finger head that quickly disappeared.
Moderate lacing clung to the sides throughout
Smells pretty strong of cherry and I could pick out the wheat at the end. Think of a cherry grain.
Very cherry taste with a mild grain aftertaste.
Medium mouthfeel and carbonation. Cherry/wheat aftertaste lingers for several seconds and then disappears.
As much as I love the majority of SA brews, this is one I will pass on. Just too sweet for me.
I do know that others simply love this beer so if you have not tried it for yourself, you should, especially if you can find a single as I did.

JDK, Apr 14, 2007
3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

When poured it had a golden carmel color with a white rocky head that left nice lacing. It has a strong sweet cherry odor and once you can get past that you actually can smell the wheat. The cherry taste was not as strong as the smell and I could taste the wheat. Not my favorite flavor. I'm not a big fruit beer drinker. I have had the boisenberry wheat from the Sam Adams homebrew collection and I thought that was a better beer. Cherry Wheat is a smooth beer with not a whole lot of carbonation. I put average for drinkability because I think it is what it is. I taste cherry and I taste wheat. Its not my cup of tea but I can see how others might enjoy this.

CFbeermaker, Apr 12, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +23%

Appearance: Cloudy and gold, nice amount of lace retention on the glass.

Smell: Inviting. Nice wheaty accents with just a hint of cherry aforethought.

Taste: Pretty good. Wheatiness is balanced out by a gentle hop nibble at the taste buds. Refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium. You definitely feel as though you have something, but it's not a full mouthed beer that covers the palate.

Drinkability: Good. Would make a decent session beer. Smoothly rolls past the tounge.

Definitely worth a try. On a hot summer day, would be really refreshing out on the patio.

Bamabrew22, Apr 12, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Pretty light yellow, hinting towards orange-red. Not a lot of head here, some lacing as well but not much. The aroma is sweet maraschino cherry and some light grain malt.

Flavor is more of the cherry, no hop presence or real malt backbone. It's a little thin and watery, the malt isn't too great, but the cherry flavor is quite sweet, unique, and tasty. Not to sugary, a little diacetyl, but a very solid fruit beer overall.

BretSikkink, Apr 07, 2007
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)