Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
2.7/5  rDev -14%

Inside the glass it's a slightly cloudy golden/copper with a large head and not much lacing.

Smells of cherries, bread, and wheat. Wow.

You'll never guess what it tastes like. Cherries and malted wheat! Same breadiness and a little yeast. Average mouthfeel.

A little surprised as it was a little more complex than I had it pegged for. Still, nothing great.

2.76/5  rDev -12.1%

This is pretty much what I had expected. It pours a cloudy copper color with a nice foam head and quite a bit of lacing. Aroma is a strong (you guessed it) cherry flavor. Mild malts with a zesty cherry flavor. A reference to cough syrup isn't unjustified and definitely doesn't help it's cause. Not the greatest mouthfeel. Refreshing enough but probably not something to drink a lot of or very often. Actually, I might not get it again, the whole cherry beer thing just isn't for me.

2.97/5  rDev -5.4%

I just thought the idea of a cherry beer was cool, but now that I truly study the beer I'm beginning to have a change of heart.

Appearance: More of a brownish goldish color reminds me of apple cider, has a mild haze, looks flat, little to no head, little lace, doesn't look attractive

Smell: CHERRY!!!! the cherry smell just dominates, I can hardly make out anything else, it smells so sweet and candy-like that it's hard to take serious, Cherry + Wheat = Cherry pie pastry

Taste: It boggled my mind for awhile, but I found it to have a roasty bitterness, the cherry is a ghost because it pervades the beer but there is no distinct cherry taste which is an interesting balance I thought, judging from the smell I expected this beer to be sweet but it's not at all, puzzled?

Mouthfeel: Creamy kind of finish, the carbonation bites a little but not enough to call it crisp, this beer is sold with the Summer Styles mix pack which is weird because this beer is a little thick for a summer season, this has fall written all over it

Drinkability: Only if you really enjoy it can you go back to back

2.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Bottle: Poured a lightly red color ale with a small foamy head with average retention and no lacing. Aroma consists of sweet Wisconsin cherries with some more subtle wheat malt. Taste is also dominated by the sweet Wisconsin cherries with a light medicinal note that I wasn't exactly fond of. Wheat is very subdued and almost impossible to detect. A bit too much of the cough syrup taste for my taste buds but still a worthless effort.

3.95/5  rDev +25.8%

Best by Sept. 08.

Body is a moderately hazy caramel. Soft, slow bubbling. Head starts at a finger and fades slowly with decent retention. Surprisingly good lacing down the sides.

Smells of dried cherries, although not cloying or sharp. Strawberry sherbet or sorbet as well. Cool wheat around the edges.

Balanced taste of sweet cherries and slightly dry wheat. Cherries persist through the finish, gotta love going all-out with your fruit.

Effervescent mouthfeel, body is thick for the style, especially on the finish.

Tasty, have had quite a few of these before. Solidly above average fruit beer.

3.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours into the glass with a nice golden yellow color. Smells like... cherries (not much of a surprise) with a malty sweetness. Hops are nearly undetectable due to the cherry smell. The taste is comparable to the aroma with more of an emphasis on the malt than the cherry. This is a very light bodied beer with a pleasant taste of cherries. It is remarkably clear for a wheat beer, but that is probably due to filtering process that Sam Adams does to all of it's brews.

I was not expecting much, but this is a good brew. I am not crazy about fruit beers, but this has a nice touch without overpowering the beer. Light and fruity.

3.31/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a hazy golden brown color. Very decent dense white head with surprising lacing.

Aroma is of maraschino cherries big time up front. I have drank this several time but do not recall such string cherry presence in the nose.

Very crisp decent contrast with wheat and cherry flavor. Cherry flavor does not over power which is good for the brew.

Mouth feel is medium-light very crisp and clean. Finishes dry.

Very drinkable. While not complex or an overly great brew, I have found myself in the position before where this is the best available. Hence I have grown to appreciate this some what mediocre brew. Nothing wrong with it, it is what it is. Simple brew with a touch of flavor and easy to drink.

2.23/5  rDev -29%

Appearance: Golden with lasting lace.

Smell: Fruity, nothing special.

Taste: Subtle cherry flavor, light bitterness. But all in all, it tastes like the medicine that I was forced to drink when I had a cold as a kid. I finished it on principal only.

Mouthfill: Crisp and balanced carbonation

Drinkability: For me, though there are some redeeming qualities, the taste of this beer is just not doing it for me. I won't have it again.

2.02/5  rDev -35.7%

Someone insisted that this beer would change my opinions about Sammy Adams, I hoped it would but as usual..I'm just dissapointed that I wasted my time and money.

Starts decent with a crisp golden pour, moderate clean white head that disapates rather quickly.

Smell is strongly cherry, a bit of a chemical scent.

Taste is godawful. Robutussin and cough syrup blended with sour mash and a stinging astringent after taste.

Mouthfeel, taste aside, is decent. Carbonation is perfect. Crisp and smooth dry finish.

Drinkability is low for me. The taste was murder and I won't be touching this again if I can help it.

2.82/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance is slightly hazy golden-yellow with a lively yellowish-tan head that shows a very faint pink hue. Aroma has a very full nose of medicinal marachino cherry and buttery-sweet graham cracker crust. I'm not really detecting any hop aroma due to the marachino cherries. Taste is very similar to aroma but at least the cherry is not overpowering the malt, which is by the way not as buttery or sweet as the aroma was. Hop flavor is pretty floral here and bitterness is kept to a minimum to make this a pretty easy drinking brew. Mouthfeel is medium-light and it finishes pretty dry and crisp which helps keep this beer from becoming too cloying. Not a bad beer for a hot summer day.

3.82/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance: Golden in Color...

Smell: Clean Smell. Instantly notice the cherry in the smell.

Taste: somewhat dry malt with just enough cherry

Mouthfeel: dry finish.

Drinkability: Personally I like the beer. would go great with a decent steak. No harsh aftertaste.

3.92/5  rDev +24.8%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy golden color that retains a nice lace around the glass.

Smell: Crisp and clean with notes of cherry.

Taste: Crisp and clean with a dry malt flavor and cherry underneath.

Mouthfeel: Crisp with a dry finish.

Drinkability: I know a lot of people don't like this beer, I do. It's a good fruit beer pleasantly crisp with good flavor. It's a refreshing beer.

1.56/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Just absolutely NO balance to this beer at all. They went wayyy overboard with the cherries on this one, as they dominate everything about this brew. Difficult to even call it a 'brew' since I had to work so hard to try to detect anything resembling beer from this one. Gotta rake this one over the coals for the total lack of any balance. And I LOVE cherries, but I love beer too. No beer here that I could find. Might be good for someone who doesn't like beer...

3.62/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a hazy, honey-gold with a somewhat fizzy head that dissapated quickly to a thin ring and some islands of foam. Some wheat floaties in the glass.
Cherries are the dominant aroma here. Not sweet marichino cherries, but more like black cherries in syrup. Then some wheatiness. Kind of reminded me of cherry cobbler. Subtle hints of lemon as well.
The cherries aren't as strong in the flavor as in the aroma, but are definitely present. Same sweet, but not cloying cherries as in the aroma. The wheat stands up pretty well to the sweetness and the lemon makes another appearance.
Medium-bodied. Good carbonation. Flavors don't linger like you might expect.
Fairly drinkable. Not as cloying sweet as one would expect, but I'm not sure this would be an all night drinker for me. About 1 or 2 would be my limit on these. ABV low enough to drink more, though.
Good beer. Somewhat of a novelty. Good for sitting on the porch after dinner on a summer night.

4.17/5  rDev +32.8%

First time I had this was at the Food and Wine Expo at EPCOT. I was mostly drunk by the time I had it, but even in that state, I liked the beer immediately.

The next day I went back and had it first thing. As I was completely sober, I expected a different opinion, but it was even better.

There is a definite smell of cherries, not overpowering, but very, very noticeable. My mouth didn't find the beer as strongly flavored as my nose, but it certainly finishes with a hint of cherry.

I never was a fan of sweet or fruity beers, but I liked this for its easy drinkability.

3.44/5  rDev +9.6%

Revisited this beer for round two after an unpleasant first encounter. First time around, I wasn't prepared for the fruit beer (had never had one before) and thought it rather sickening. Served this one from the bottle into a beer glass.

Pours a dusty amber, very thin white head, ample carbonation streaming from the glass's bottom and sides.

Smells strongly of cherries -- dried or candied, but definitely matured and sweetened more than a fresh cherry scent.

Taste is very similar to the smell, seemed to finish a bit harsh at first but smoothed out markedly as the beer went on. A bit of a puckering taste, feels very fizzy and carbonated, too. Might be difficult to quaff more than a few of these between the strong flavor and the carbonation.

3.84/5  rDev +22.3%

Purchased as part of a Sam Adams summer variety pack. Poured the beer from the bottle into a pint glass. The beer is brownish orange in color and the head dissipates to non existence quickly. The nose on this is a cherry bomb, but good if you like cherries. The taste initially is sweet cherry and cherry on the finish, but somewhere in between you can tell that this is a beer. The mouth feel is just about what you would expect from the taste and the finish is slightly dry. I would drink a few and I am usually not a fan of fruit beers.

3.27/5  rDev +4.1%

The Cherry Wheat pours yellowish orange with a single finger foam head and some good sea foam lacing. The head disappears quickly.

The aroma is really nice with a lovely cherry aroma with the wheat in the background. The taste is cherry all the way through with a crispness to it. In the mouth it is pretty thin. Overall not a bad fruit beer. The smell is the strongest part of it to me.

2.89/5  rDev -8%

This beer is a once in a while thing, I could not drink this regularly. Poured with beautiful white head. The body was hazy with large particles averagely dispursed. There was almost no carbonation and the body hue was a moderately darker golden brown. This beer is rightly named. The aroma was thick with dark cherries that overpowered almost every other scent, although there was a light yeast at the bottom. The flavor was again overpowered by dark cherries that was heavily/harshly sweet with a light bitterness towards the end. The finish was average length with a tiny amount of bread and very acidic. The palate was a medium body with a watery and creamy texture and soft carbonation.

3.2/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Golden ale with a ruby hue... Slightly cloudy... Medium head fades to leave heavy lacing... Coats well... Light carbonation...

S - Sweet cherries... Perhaps hints of wheat and malt, but an over abundance of cherries is the theme...

T - Cherry... Grains... Biscuit... Tinge of malt... Hops and alcohol at finish... Slightly too artificial...

M - Sweet... Crisp... Slight creamy texture... Finishes dry...

D - Different and versatile... Good, but not great... Solid, but not an everyday beer...

3.16/5  rDev +0.6%

A - Pours a golden honey yellow with a nice head.
S - Smells like cherry syrup; a tad bit of malt detected as well
T - There are some malts up front, which are followed by a cherry syrup flavor; also a bit of wheat was detected
MF - smooth mouthfeel
D - This was ok...a lot of cherry-syrup in the flavor, which dominated everything. This is ok to drink, neither one I would pass down, nor one I would seek out.

4.07/5  rDev +29.6%

Apprarance: Cloudy golden. Billowy off white long lasting head. Tiny effervescent bubbles

Smell: Whoa. Lots of cherry aroma. Also picking up some mild noble English hop aroma. Nice combo

Taste: Cherry up front, bitterness in the middle working well with the twinge of carbonation, finishes really malty. Nice beer.

Mouthfeel: feels light bodied. Carbonation is nice with the bitterness.

Drinkability: Good transition beer. Can drink a few of these and not feel too weighted down. Nice job.

2.94/5  rDev -6.4%

I was with some friends and it happened to be there, so I figured, "hey, why not give it a shot".

A- Pours an orangey-golden color with a quickly dissipating head

S- The smell was the only enjoyable part of the beer. It smells like fresh cherries with a slight spicy wheat aroma.

T- Nothing special at all and not nearly as appealing as the smell. It has that "cheap lager" taste and I feel it tried to cover it with cherries. The fruity, spicy, pleasant flavors that wheat usually imparts in a beer were scarce or non-existent. Overall, it's very bland.

M- Moderate carbonation and it goes down like water.

D- It's light and drinkable, but not very refreshing and not very enjoyable.

1.46/5  rDev -53.5%

A- Pours a orangeish red color with a white head that quickly goes away and leaves very little spotted lacing.

S- Tons of cherries and that's about it. The smell is very odd though almost smells like cherry 7-up and very fake.

T- Gag!! This is a Sam Adams brew!! Its terrible. So terrible I couldn't finish it and got laughed at by my wife. Again taste like cherry 7-up.

M- Light in body.

D- Not recommended at all.

3.22/5  rDev +2.5%

Has a nice head and looks very good in my S.A. Boston Lager glass.

Smells of tart, cherries and bread, not too unlike a cherry pie.

Taste is a fairly bland wheat beer with a cherry aftertaste that's surprisingly not as tart as it smells. In fact, I think if the beer was a little more mouth puckering and less sweet it would be more enjoyable. As it is, it's fairly pedestrian, but not bad.

Mouthfeel is smooth. Drinkability suffers due to its excessive sweetness.

All in all, not a bad beer, but I'd rather smell it than drink it. Nah, who am I kidding. It's still beer, and it's going down the gullet.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)