Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (128) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
bahumutx

3.9/5  rDev +24.6%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Two finger head which is dissipating slowly. Golden amber in color.

Smell: A slight malt smell comes through but a strong smell of maraschino cherries really comes through.

Taste: A slight malt taste first and then the beer tastes of cherries. At the very end you get a nice wheat taste.

Mouthfeel: A good Mouthfeel. Just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. I could have a few of these in a row.

Overall, another good beer from the folks at the Boston Brewing Company. I really like how this beer finishes with a nice wheat taste. Keep up the great work!!!

09-12-2005 01:22:42 | More by bahumutx
brewQ

Missouri

3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

On tap at Sam Adams Brewhouse- Pittsburgh Airport.
Bartender tells me it is a top seller!

Looks like a nice lager with a touch of bronze color.
Light sheathing through the drink.

Aroma is restrained cherry but the flavor, I can only say it is a bit odd.
The cherry tastes like what you'd find in a kid's sucker-
very sugary and artifically "loud".

Amazingly, it does die down at the finish.

This would be a rare occasion brew for me but I guess at the Pitts
airport it is a competitor for the Malternative crowd!

Easier to drink than SA Cranberry.

09-11-2005 14:12:41 | More by brewQ
scratchchance

Hawaii

This was the first time I had seen this Cherry Wheat so decided to try it even though I am not a big fan of cherrys. I was supprised by the nice head, slightly cream coloured. The appearace was a dark red colour smelling of a light cherry odour but not overwellming as some flavoured beers can be. It was extreamly drinkable with the cherry not overwellming, not much hops involved in the brew I suspect but too much would lend to a bad aftertaste with the cherry.

Overall I was very impressed with this first sampeling of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

09-11-2005 08:43:49 | More by scratchchance
jmichaelp

4.83/5  rDev +54.3%

This is a very nice beer, I often drink it during the Summer as a refreshing change of pace. When compared to Pete's Strawberry Blonde, another widely available fruit-based beer, SA Cherry Wheat has a more pronounced fruit taste. However, it's not at all overpowering & compliments the wheat nicely. I also find the sweetness to be quire neutral. I really detest any sweet drinks - I've never been able to finish a six-pack of milk stout I bought & never drink fruity mixed drinks, so if you're looking for something sweet probably look elswhere.

09-05-2005 22:24:12 | More by jmichaelp
Buildscharacter

Georgia

1.45/5  rDev -53.7%

Picture a jar of those super red Marsachio (sp?) cherrys. That's EXACTLY what this terrible beer smells like. The taste...well it's very similar to a bottle of cough syrup.

I couldn't believe that a reputable brewer like Samual Adams would produce such a terrible obnoxious tasting beer. I was very shocked. Especially because I was having it at a Sam Adams tasting. Oh well.

08-21-2005 02:45:13 | More by Buildscharacter
dirtylou

Washington

3.7/5  rDev +18.2%

appearance: cloudy orange, foamy head, not as tinted as i would have imagined

smell: cherry, very sweet

taste: sweet cherries, underlying wheat taste. not a particularly great wheat beer, maybe a better fruit beer, interesting at least.

mouthfeel: smooth, refreshing

drinkability: the cherry would have been too much after a couple more

08-20-2005 02:13:41 | More by dirtylou
ypsifly

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

12oz with the label notched best before Dec 05, poured into a pint.

Tall white head over light, clear copper and good carbonation. Wispy lace and good retention.

The nose is almost all cherries, with a suggestion of wheat underneath. Smells like real cherries, not some generic juice, I like that.

Tastes of cherries followed by dry hops, but the cherries are dominate throughout and leave an oily finish. Not balanced at all. If more wheat was able to come through, this would be a lot better.

The mouthfeel seems a bit oily and its more of a malted fruit concoction than a balanced beer. Therefore I would not want another.

08-14-2005 05:57:06 | More by ypsifly
BuckSpin

Maine

3.95/5  rDev +26.2%

Tried this this evening, and this was/is one of the oddest, most unique beers I have tried in a while. Poured a warm amber gold, clear, with a 1/2" head of mixed cream foam. The nose - wow! Blindlfolded I would have guessed black cherry soda/pop. Unbelieveable. Perhaps some slight yeast and bread tones, but the cherry aroma was amazing.

The nose carried over to the taste. Again, I could see this being mistaken for a micro black cherry soda. The cherry taste is very strong on the tongue, with some hints of the wheat and yeast. Smooth, pretty sweet, rather light, and even. The taste melded on the tongue and it finished very clean, not as fruity as the tongue, but with a toned done sweetness and clean aftertaste.

This will certainly not be for everyone, but I think this would be a great transitional beer for those who like fruit based mixed drinks. It would also go well with spicy foods, maybe even a fruit dessert. Without question one of the more unique beers I have recently tried, and a great summer beer. Give it a try.

08-03-2005 01:14:30 | More by BuckSpin
Wasatch

Utah

3.98/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours a cloudy orange color with a small head which does not last long, but lots of carbonation. A nice lacing after pour though. Scent is very sweet with a cherry aroma. Light body with a very nice cherry after taste, not really much bite, but what do you expect from a 5.2% brew. As with most if not all SAs brews very drinkable. This brew really surprised me since I've never had any kind of beer with a fruit in it. A very nice session beer.

08-02-2005 23:53:41 | More by Wasatch
blackie

3.73/5  rDev +19.2%

Purchase Before Date is notched December 2005

Upon pouring, the head of large white bubbles quickly recedes. The color is a very clear medium amber. Some slight lacing is left behind on the walls of the glass.

The first smell I notice is that of cherry pie filling. Slightly artificial, I guess from the cherry flavoring, but not too hokey. The cherry is not too powerful and allows the malt to show itself. Behind the cherry and malt, some clean and spicy hops can be found. There is a slight hint of orange peel type citrus.

The beer is pretty highly carbonated, and the mouthfeel medium thin.

The cherry flavor is not overdone, nor does it seem as artificial as on the nose. There is a decent amount of malt to back up the cherry flavors. Hops are present throughout the sip, but become most noticeable after the swallowing when some of the cherry and malt notes subside. Finish is a slight hop bitterness with some tart cherry notes.

07-27-2005 03:35:27 | More by blackie
circuitmonkey

Wisconsin

2.58/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours an average white head, which doesn’t last very long.

The aroma is very sweet and is about the only thing that I would say this beer has going for it. Color is a light orange, almost between a light and amber color.

The texture is smooth and goes down easy. However the flavor is less than I had expected. It doesn’t quite taste like a good wheat beer, or a good fruit beer. I think you might be able to recreate the flavor with bud light and some amaretto.

07-27-2005 01:49:53 | More by circuitmonkey
SkeeterHawk

2.42/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance: The beer pours a mostly clear orangish color with a small head that fell pretty quickly. After this point the beer looked pretty lifeless in the glass.

Aroma: Now the aroma in this beer is wonderful. The cherry is pretty much the only player, but it is fresh like you get when you open a box of Fruit Loops.

Taste: The taste is totally one dimensional, and chemical. The cherry aroma is about the only thing going for this beer in my opinion. It tastes totally manufactured, and the assertive cherry aroma is like saccharine coating your throat. I pretty much want to take a drink of water after a sip to wash out the flavor.

Opinion: I fell into the marketing of this beer, and bought a six-pack...OOPS! It looked and sounded good...even smelled good before I tried it. I was then extremely disappointed when I tasted it. I recently drank Sammies Chocolate Bock which was excellent, and it surprises me that the same brew master can produce this beer. I know that Sam Adams has the ability to make a good beer, but unfortunately this is one that I would not recommend.

07-27-2005 01:23:29 | More by SkeeterHawk
MUSHROOMCLOUD

3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat 12oz. poured into a wheat beer glass. Freshness dated best before Dec. 2005.

The beer pours out an appealing golden honey with a 1" white head. The head had great retention and left some decent lacing. There are about 2.4 million bubbles racing to the top!

The aroma is a mixture of cherry 7-up and for some reason this reminds me of a Belgian waffle with fruit and maple syrup! Crazy, huh?!?

The taste is a delicate sweet cherry flavor. The wheat is apparent but it is in the background.

This beer has fairly big carbonation and a dry finish in the mouth.

This is a very refreshing change. Light with good fruit flavor and crisp. Good for these 100 degree + days we have been having here in the Lone Star State.

07-04-2005 00:37:57 | More by MUSHROOMCLOUD
mynie

Indiana

3.73/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours ice tea orange with a voluminous head

Light hints of what in the nose complimented well by a surprisingly pungent cherry odor. Natural cherry, too—not synthetic candy flavor.

Bitter/tart wheat upfront, zapped almost immediately by sweet cherry that brings out the tartness. Ends on a sweat note with a pleasant aftertaste. Nice but too simple and not very beery.

A great summer drink and another solid beer from the folks at Sam Adams.

06-21-2005 01:46:59 | More by mynie
Schwarzbart

3.75/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A medium amber color beer that started out with a decent head and retained a nice clingy covering which provided nice lacing.
Smell: The first thing that hits the nose is a tart cherry aroma. A light sugary smell combined with the cherry reminds me of the stick in dip'n'stick packs covered with the cherry sugar powder that I used to get after little league baseball games.
Taste: A little like the smell but more like real cherries. A little bit of the wheat in the back, but it is mostly covered by the cherry flavor.
Mouthfeel: A nice mouthfeel. Crisp with a pleasant aftertaste.
Drinkability: Sometimes I drink this beer and I like it, other times I think it is to sweet and tart and don't really care for it. After a long day in the sun today, it seems to be ok. I could drink a couple.

06-19-2005 00:53:47 | More by Schwarzbart
AlexJ

3.15/5  rDev +0.6%

My fiancee drinks this beer, it's the only "wheat" beer she has ever liked...figures.

It pours a almost clear, a dull amber/yellow color, with just a touch of haze. Head is fluffy, white, and has medium retention and leaves no lace.

The aroma is cherry-pie filling, faint yeasty spice, and raw almonds and marzipan. It smells nearly identical to the Jergens Cherry Almond hand soap in my bathroom...to a tee.

The flavor is sweet cherries, which taste almost natural at first before turning over to a artificial, cherry cough medicine flavor. The flavor of almonds is definately in there too, probably accentuated by the nose. There's a subtle push of wheat beer flavors at the end, but it's concealed by the not-so-subtle cherry flavors.

Mouthfeel is light, but a bit heavier than some wheats, probably due to the syruppy cherry flavoring. It remains quite quaffable on hot days and is tolerable.

05-07-2005 12:43:24 | More by AlexJ
Vancer

2.33/5  rDev -25.6%

Whoa, the cherry is too over-bearing in this one. Pour was disappointing – way too clear for a wheat beer. Although it had a nice cherry and malt aroma, the taste went from strong cherry in the beginning to tasting like Robitussin cough syrup by the end of the bottle. Even the wife-zilla, while working on her bottle, said she couldn’t stomach another.

04-13-2005 12:28:43 | More by Vancer
EPseja

3.38/5  rDev +8%

Appearance: Medium golden amber with subtle magenta highlights and a very light haze. Pillowy 1" head with decent lace and retention. Looks nice!

Smell: Sweet Maraschino cherries with a subtle wheaty outline. Although I know that there are no artificial flavors here, the cherry scent was somewhat "off-natural" but not necessarily a detriment. Very summery.

Taste/Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Sweet cherries up front replaced by slightly stale breadiness and wheat in the middle. Mild sweetness in the finish. Decent but not excellent. Slightly thin & watery, but refreshing. Drinkability is decent, but more than one would be too sweet for me. Good for summertime, but not a year round drinker.

04-06-2005 14:59:28 | More by EPseja
Chadbrew

Delaware

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

The freshness date on this is June 2005 which is kind of a surprise considering this bottle has been in my fridge for like forever. Part of a holiday mix pack last Christmas I believe.
The appearance is real nice actually - big fluffy slightly off-white head sitting on top of a kinda hazy deep honey colored brew.
Smells like alcohol and cherries, a lot like Nyquil.
It has a bittersweet taste; the cherries really come through heavy though. Not as horribly unbalanced as it smells and actually finishes kind of smooth.
Mouthfeel isn't bad, medium body.
Drinkability is OK on this but not my particular favorite flavor/style. Funny... I remember liking this a lot more years ago.

03-27-2005 00:14:44 | More by Chadbrew
Backer2004

3.93/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Waitress told me she found the coldest glass just for me (why???). Anyway, after my first three selections were unavailable, I reluctantly went for the Cherry Wheat. I was pleasantly surprised here. Great taste and smell (unlike some flavored beers that only have a hint added - i.e. Saranac Caramel). Almost as tasty of a fruit/vegetable beer at the Cottonwood Pumpkin. If you like cherry, definitely try it out.

03-20-2005 22:49:04 | More by Backer2004
bobbyrlg

Louisiana

4.03/5  rDev +28.8%

This is my first review and also the 1st fruit/vegetable beer I've tried. One of my friends told me how much he liked fruit/vegetable beers so when I saw this at my grocery store I had to give it a try. It poured a nice golden color with a small white head. First thing I noticed was the smell of cherries. I wasn't sure what a fruit beer should taste like, but the sweet taste of cherries was very pleasant. There was a slightly bitter aftertaste but an overall smooth finish. This was very different than any other beer that I have tried, but it was a good different. I don't think this will be my favorite style, but it was a welcome change and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

03-17-2005 03:37:59 | More by bobbyrlg
rajendra82

Georgia

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

This one came in a Brewmaster’s Collection 12 oz. brown bottle with a freshness date of July 2005. The beer poured deep clear golden with a frothy two-inch thick head, and spirited latent carbonation. The aroma was dominated by very ripe cherries and bready to yeasty wheat malt. Cherry flavor was again prominent in the taste, although the beer was not very sweet at all. There was also a lemony yeastiness typical of American Wheat beers. No fruity esters evident in this one, and it’s a shame, because cherries and bananas go so well together. A bit thicker on the tongue than a typical wheat due to the syrupy fruit juice present in the brew. I am not a big fan of fruit beers, but this one is one of the better ones.

03-12-2005 04:22:03 | More by rajendra82
SaCkErZ9

3.43/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Formed minimal head that dissipated rather quickly. The smell of cherries is definitely the first thing that was noticed. Cherry taste seems a bit artificial and a little forced but the overall taste is good. Mouthfeel is ok. A little bitterness at the finish detracts from the overall rating. One or two of these beers is ok in one sitting but more than that and the taste is a bit repetitive. A pretty good beer overall.

02-27-2005 02:40:43 | More by SaCkErZ9
cardigan

3.9/5  rDev +24.6%

I really don't get the reviews that say the cherry smell and/or taste is overpowering. I love it. But then, I love fruit beers, and this is not only one of my favorite fruit beers, it's one of the few beers I'd actually call a session beer for myself. This is a sweetish, light, refreshing brew that goes well with nearly any type of food, or is great all by itself. If you don't like fruity beers, or if you're a hophead, pass on this one.

(Edited, Jan. '07. I've lowered the rating somewhat, as I've broadened my horizons. Still a beer I like a lot, but not as high on my list as it once was.)

02-26-2005 08:08:00 | More by cardigan
Citadel82

3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a weizen beer glass. Think and fluffy snow white head that left some lacing. . Beer was a pale yellow in color. Not quite as light as a Pilsner.

Smell was sweet-tart cherries up front. Sublte malt and hops behind this strong and pleasant fruit smell.

The beer is overflowing with cherry flavor all throughout. The lable says made with real cherries and cherry flavor some malt (faint) and some floral hoppiness. Perhaps they went a little overboard on the cherries? It has a nice tart crisp finish to every sip that is actually rather refreshing.

The beer is not half bad. Not one of my favorite styles and perhaps not the best beer to enjoy in winter. But, I might enjoy it more throughout the Spring and Summer months.

02-14-2005 15:10:21 | More by Citadel82
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)