Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
PBRstreetgang

Pours a pale orangish color, with a slight haze. Two finger head is densely packed and retains well. Leaves nice spiderweb lacing. Maraschino cherries dominate the nose, with wheat and some pale malt just pulling through. Wheat and a surprisingly mild cherry syrup flavor make up the bulk of the flavor. Aftertaste shows some very quiet earthy tones, mild hops and cherry skins. Medium body and medium carbonation allow a very smooth mouthfeel and drinkability. Finish is a touch sweet, but won't detract from you enjoying something this unique and refreshing.

01-22-2006 06:51:36 | More by PBRstreetgang
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.45/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a solid copper color with a nice tight white foam of compact bubbles over the top. Big cascade of bubbles from the bottom is keeping the head at a substantial level. A little darker than I would expect for a wheat, but that could be from the cherry. Nose is pretty strong cherry with a subtle wheaty creamy character to keep it from being to candy-like. Pretty well all about the cherry here. Flavor is more wheat central than the nose. The fruity cherry sweetness hits up front, but fades behind an almost heavy wheat character. It has a light bitter to light astringent character on the finish. I'm torn between this being a very mild hopping or an astringent grain quality. Its not very pleasing either way. Feel is moderate with a very velvety carbonation, giving it a nice creamy character. I'm just not sure what I think about this one. I like the nose a fair bit, as the wheat and cherry blend well, but the flavor is just a bit off to me. The grainyness is too strong and that finish is not working. Its not a beer I think I will be getting again.

01-22-2006 01:16:30 | More by kmpitz2
adam42381

2.6/5  rDev -16.9%

I purchased a six pack of Cherry Wheat last night. I generally enjoy Samuel Adams brews but this one just did not work for me.

The appearance was pretty good, good sign to start with.

The smell reminded me of cheap cough drops or cough syrup. Maybe they should have just flavored it with real cherries and left out the artificial flavoring. The wheat is greatly overpowered by the cherry flavor.

The mouthfeel was pretty decent, not too good or bad either way.

The drinkability was low for me. I poured a glass last night and drank maybe four ounces. I really didn't like the flavor. I decided to give it another try tonight and drank it from the bottle. This time I did try to drink the whole bottle but could only get down half. I will rate the drinkability as average because it's not a heavy beer.

I've never had a cherry wheat, so this may just not be my thing. I'm not sure, all I know is that the remaining four bottles were thrown away tonight (the first time this has ever happened). This won't deter me. I guess it is worth a try just to see what your tastes are. I personally wouldn't drink this beer if it were given to me. It was just that bad, but I'm not a cherry wheat guy. But then again, maybe it tasted the way it was supposed to and I just hated it. Either way, I'm done with the Cherry Wheat.

01-18-2006 03:30:52 | More by adam42381
Blakaeris

Iowa

2.7/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured a hazy coppery color. Large creamy head.

Smell is very sweet and fruity. Cherry eclipses anything else.

Taste is quite sweet. Cherry flavor has a bit of a medicine quality to it. The wheat comes through for me in the middle with a bitter finish. Cherry flavor lingers with the bitterness.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy.

This isn't a terrible beer, but it isn't great either. I would like it better with less sweet cherry flavor and more maltiness. I could drink this on occasion, but I wouldn't seek it out.

01-05-2006 01:40:03 | More by Blakaeris
dnrobert24

Alabama

1.85/5  rDev -40.9%

I was not a fan of this Sam Adams creation. I poured the crystal clear sunset golden it into a pint glass creating a nice rocky head. Its cherry smell was pervasive and artifically sweet, just like an artificially-flavored cherry lollipop. Underneath were the cherry-alcohol notes of cough syrup. The cherry smell could not be separated from the taste, which was disappointing. Sans taking in the aroma, the taste was less cherryesque, and disappointingly flat and bland. Also, the body of the beer was light and thin. From what I understand, fruit beers are only supposed to be mildly fruity, however, I could not finish 12 oz of this brew because of the overwhelming cherry cough syrup aroma.

01-04-2006 23:30:44 | More by dnrobert24
ggroller

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer is a cloudy peach color in the pint glass with plenty of tiny bubbles of carbonation. A slightly fluffy white head sits atop the beer with a little bit of sticking to the sides of the glass.

Smells like Ludens cherry cough drops.

Tastes like cherry vanilla ice cream.

Mouthfeel is slightly chewy.

01-02-2006 14:03:43 | More by ggroller
casualbeerman

4.47/5  rDev +42.8%

I picked up a sixpack of this for the holidays. When I read the label I was really excited. I could try a wheat beer from a company I know makes decent products from high quality ingredients. I had a really good experience with the first wheat beer I tried (Blue Moon Belgian White), and it had cherry in it to boot. It sounded perfect. When I actually tried it I was kind of disappointed. This may be made with wheat, but it is definately no Belgian style White. It was almost as heavy and bitter as Regular Sam Adams Lager. Anyway, since I haven't poured one out of the bottle yet, I rated the appearance at 3. I'm sure it is probably a decent looking brew, but until I know for sure its rating will be in the middle. When I do get around to pouring one in a glass I'll edit this review. Smell is pleasant, with some fairly strong but very clean malt, and of course cherries. Taste disappointed me at first since I was expecting the cherry against a background of light citrusy wheat beer instead of the rather heavier malt flavor strong enough to be typical of the regular Sam Adams Boston Lager. Still, on repeat samplings, the cherry blends nicely with the richer sweetness of the malted wheat. It's pleasant with rather weaker hop presence than either regular Sam Adams Boston Lager, or Sam Adams Light either. (This beer pluse those two represent my entire sampling of Boston Beer Co's products at this time) Like you'd expect from this company, even the relatively bland hops in this beer are still high quality. They fit the beer and they bring only good things to it, even though the cherries really main contributors to the flavor aside from the malt. Mouthfeel is very pleasant being a bit lighter than regular Sam, very similar to Saranac Lager. Drinkability is excellent. It gets a tiny bit thick towards the end, but its thirst quenching, easier to drink than regular Sam Adams, and seems to be improve the more I sample it. And it also seems to pair well with almost anything. I've had 3 different beers with pizza, chips and dip, and buffalo wings and each time it went great with the food. In conclusion, this very pleasant and fairly unique brew that's definately worth a try.

01-01-2006 05:49:11 | More by casualbeerman
pbr85

3.2/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a small glass

Appearance: A golden amber color with a small, white head that disappears rapidly.

Smell: Holy cherry god! If you put a cherry pie and this under my nose I would think this is the pie. Cherry syrup scent dominates everything else. I really like how this smells, but I could understand if you think it is over the top.

Taste: Not nearly as much cherry flavor as the smell would suggest. Wheaty malts up front are decent, followed by a nice cherry taste that can change to a weird, almost spoiled cherry taste. As I noted, it is rather blander than I thought it would be, especially considering the smell.

Mouthfeel: As you drink through the beer, it starts to taste more like water than like beer. Carbonation is a little low, which leads to too smooth of a feel.

Drinkability: I could drink many of these if I had to, but I would prefer not to. Its not my favorite beer, and its not my favorite fruit beer, but its decent enough if you have to drink it or are curious to try it.

12-22-2005 02:39:23 | More by pbr85
ski271

1.8/5  rDev -42.5%

Pours a medium amber with a small, white, fully diminishing head. Smells of fake cherry, like maraschino cherry juice, over mild wheat. The taste is dominated by more fake flavors that overshadow any redeeming qualities of this beer. It has a thin body, watery texture and low carbonation, and it’s probably the worst of the beers to wear the Sam Adams name. Big disappointment.

12-16-2005 21:15:41 | More by ski271
timbeer

Nevada

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

A beer worth trying but perhaps not worth revisiting. I poured one from a 12 oz. bottle, and found it to be drinkable, inoffensive, but lacking in any strong positive qualities. The cherry taste is well-defined, but it blends with the beer in such a way that I can't escape thinking this is how a flat diet cherry cola would taste. Actually the body is much crisper than flat soda, and that helps make this an ok beer.

12-03-2005 23:47:31 | More by timbeer
tweeder263

3.95/5  rDev +26.2%

Poured out a hazy honey colored brew with minimal head.Smell like black cherry ice cream,,not bad at all.Taste is very surprising and i gotta say i like it.Cherries cherries cherries but they are not overpowering.Mouthfeel nothing special.Drinkability good,,,i wouldnt makre it an all the time brew but great for something out of the ordinary.

11-29-2005 03:00:42 | More by tweeder263
jasonpeckins32

3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

My girlfriend's mother's name is Cherry Wheat. They send her a free 12-pack every birthday. She should love this beer considering her name, but its a good thing she doesnt because now I get to reap her rewards once a year.

It pours a transparent golden color with a nice, lasting white head. The nose is BURSTING of cherries. The taste is also strong of cherries, almost too much that its hard to pick out any other flavors. It tastes good, but the strong black cherry flavor almost gets annoying after a while and begins reminding me of things like chapsitck and make-up.

The mouthfeel is great. It has the perfect body with excellent carbonation matched with superb smoothness. A very drinkable beer if you like a fruity twist on your brew.

11-16-2005 05:53:42 | More by jasonpeckins32
Enola

3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

This beer smells like black cherry ice cream. It tastes a little like cough syrup. It looks like a slightly amber hued light beer. The mouthfeel is not that great. I could possibly drink more than one but I'm not sure I'd want to. Ole Sam puts out some pretty good brews but I think this one comes up a little short. Maybe it's time this one is voted out of the brewtanks.

11-09-2005 01:20:09 | More by Enola
wcudwight

2.7/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Ever have one of those beers that is always in your beer store that you want to try but you continually pass up for something you think is better? This is that beer for me. Dec is clearly marked on bottle. Inside of cap says gold medal LA 2004. I wish other brewers would put their awards on the inside of the caps like S.A. does.
A:Mostly amber and gold with some red and orange hues. Nice two finger head that hangs around for a while with an agressive pour.
S: Sweet cherries with a hint of oats, wheat or barley.
T: Kind of taken aback with the first sip. Taste like that cough medicine that my mom would force down my throat as a child. Take 2- Still mediciney(is that a word?) but nice cherry aftertaste. Taste more like heavy cherry flavoring than fresh cherries.
M: Too syrupy. Almost waxy.
D: I could imagine having several in succession, but the mouthfeel really hurts the drinkability.
I'll finish my sixer, but then I'm done with Cherry Wheat.

10-27-2005 00:49:36 | More by wcudwight
Bonhoeffer

Alabama

3.65/5  rDev +16.6%

Pretty good under the right circumstances. Overall, i'd say this is a bit too close to beer-flavored cherry cola. Perhaps a little heavy-handed on the cherry flavor. Would have liked for the wheat and yeast characteristics to be a little more forward. Hops are minimal.

But certainly very drinkable.

Probably a decent crossover beer for the ladies : )

10-26-2005 13:41:42 | More by Bonhoeffer
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dried apricot that appears crystal clear with indirect lighting and significantly hazy with an infusion of sunlight. It's definitely an interesting visual effect. The pale oatmeal colored cap is attractive. It resembles a windswept mesa as it deflates, and leaves a fair amount of sudsy lace behind.

There's no shortage of cherry in the nose. In fact, it smells so much like sweet cherries that there's no room left for it to smell like beer. It may not be the overpowering cherry bomb that some cherry lambics are, but there's no doubt what fruit was used. I'll have to give credit to BBC, they didn't do this one halfway. As to the question of artificial cherry versus actual cherry juice, it's sort of in the middle.

I'm definitely not as impressed with the flavor as I am with the appearance and the aroma. Whereas the nose is 95% cherries and 5% beer, the flavor is much more the latter than the former. SA Cherry Wheat tastes like what a wheat ale flavored with cherry should taste like (in a general sense at least). It doesn't hang together for me though. The base beer is too grainy and rough and tends to dominate the fruit.

It seems to me that a more neutral wheat ale, or even a pale ale, would have been a better choice. I also pick up a faint metallic tang and I can't shake the impression that the beer needs salt. As it warms, the cherry flavor takes on an increasingly artificial, almost medicinal quality. The mouthfeel is light-medium, is slightly chalky (odd) and heads toward watery on the finish.

Cherry Wheat may be my least favorite Samuel Adams offering to date. If my memory is accurate, I even thought the much maligned Cranberry Lambic was better. With a major tweak or two this could be an okay fruit beer. In its present form, no thank you.

10-22-2005 13:55:34 | More by BuckeyeNation
ommegangpbr

2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

Drink by 11/05, poured into a chalice.
Dr. Pepper comes to mind. That cherry flavor you find in cherry colas, or those fake processed cherries that every icecream parlor carries.
Looks pretty good, like a cloudy pale ale and a white head; laces the glass some.
The smell introduces you to the Dr. Pepper similarities... some malty sweetness can be found in there but it's overpowered by cherry flavoring.
The taste is even more so. The wheat chimes in a little bit in the flavor but mostly that Dr. Pepper impersonator thing comes through. I haven't had a cherry cola in a long time so this lights a nostalgia bulb for me.
The mouthfeel on this one fluctuates but it has one of the worst finishes I can recall in a beer. The thin body and soda-like carbonation (and some wheaty texture) save this some, but the finish is just harsh. Artificial flavor, sticks to the teeth, chewing on cardboard, something is wrong here finish to the mouthfeel.
If you keep guzzling this down you can procrastinate experiencing the finish (perhaps a beer bong candidate). Nothing else is terrifically intense so otherwise this goes down pretty easily, but reaching for another bottle just doesnt seem like a good idea.
If you like Dr. Pepper and chewing on cardboard, then this is the beer for you!

10-18-2005 07:35:30 | More by ommegangpbr
kbnooshay

3.88/5  rDev +24%

On tap in an 11 oz glass at MagGregors. This came to me as a nice hazy orange color with nice lacing. The fruit/cherry aroma is very pleasant. This has always tasted more like a cherry fruit drink than a beer to me. The wheat side is there but sorta weak. Overall though it is an enjoyable brew. Very malty. The moouthfeel was slightly creamy and moderate. In terms of drinkability could drink this forever, just might get a little bored.

10-14-2005 17:01:47 | More by kbnooshay
PaterIovisLII

Maryland

4.75/5  rDev +51.8%

This beer is in a nice bottle and don't let that "Don't judge a good book by its cover" idea fool you this beer lives up to its potential. This beer gets a decent head and pours a nice deep amber but not too dark. The smell of this makes one look forward to drinking it and when it hits the toungue it has a fantastic typical lager flavor but after swallowing, the cherry aftertaste makes this a spectacular beer. SA Cherry Wheat is a simple classic beer. Nothing special enough to spend hundreds on but certainly one that I recommend. This Beer, like most Samuel Adams, are good with Beef, a Steak, a Burger, etc...Try it, you won't be disappointed

10-10-2005 05:05:53 | More by PaterIovisLII
Bumpon10s

2.58/5  rDev -17.6%

A - Pours yellowy, golden with a small head that flees.

S - Smells of cherries alright, a little wheat and alcohol. It isn't the sweet cherries you may be used to, but more the bitter, dark kind.

T - Cherries up front, cherries in the back. It tastes as if you dropped some cherries in a miller light, not too great.

M - It is a very abrasive beer, it doesn't kill your taste at all, but is very sharp, between the bitterness of the cherry and the carbonation, it makes it a bit of a chore to drink.

D - Not too high, in fact, I had trouble drinking one. I'm sure there is a segment for this beer, and with the low ABV it is a steady drinker, but not to me, and likely the majority of BA's.

10-07-2005 04:17:12 | More by Bumpon10s
whynot44

Missouri

3.13/5  rDev 0%

Light bodied, light copper colored with a decent white head that stayed for a while and left some moderate lacing on the way down.

There is a definite cherry aroma with a hint of hops and not much else.

The flavor is a mix of cherry with some light malt and a slight hops finish. Cherry flavor is definite but not overpowering, crisp, refreshing.

Something different, not something I would drink everyday but drinkable, could be very nice on a hot summer day relaxing in the shade.

10-02-2005 04:54:20 | More by whynot44
gatorsuf1

Georgia

3.08/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a reddish-amber color with a light tan head. Not as cloudy as other wheat beers. The head quickly faded to leave decent lacing. It smells of sweet cherries and not much else. Tastes the same way as it smells; hops are barely noticeable. The mouthfeel is thick and sticky; almost like cherry syrup. Also leaves the lips very sticky. I enjoy this beer after dinner occasionally as a dessert, but more than two would make me feel sick. It would have been nice for S.A. to add more complexity to this underachieving brew.

09-29-2005 00:40:59 | More by gatorsuf1
texashammer

1.95/5  rDev -37.7%

light orange to yellow and transluscent with thin white head. smells exactly like sour cherry cough syrup. overwhelms anything else that might be there. not good.
the flavors start of with the cough syrup and finish that way. I think it may chill out a little in the middle but I'm not sure. zingy bite of carbonation.
this is sort of sickening. I poured it down the sink.

09-25-2005 16:00:26 | More by texashammer
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.78/5  rDev -11.2%

Big on the cherry flavor, but lacking on everything else. Pours a less-red-than-expected- color with disapointing head retention for a wheat. Aromas are big of cherry and nothing else. Flavors like cherry Kool-Aid (not real cherries). It has some good fruity tartness and a lacking barley or wheat quality. Lacking in the wheat flavors, textures, and apprearance. Yeast offers no fruity esters or spiciness. Barley malt is hardly detected. A thin mouthfeel and a fleeting finish. I am suprised that this beer didn't turn out better.

09-20-2005 16:16:00 | More by BEERchitect
BeerBeing

2.15/5  rDev -31.3%

Presentation: 12oz brown glass longneck US-generic bottle, white/yellow/brown label

Appearance: hazy gold color, big white head, good lacing

Smell: cherry with minor hops in background

Taste: light body, crisp mouthfeel, some malt, strong cherry flavor, minor bitterness of hops

Notes: flavors don't mixed together well

09-18-2005 02:29:10 | More by BeerBeing
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)