Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
mmmbeer

3.18/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz. bottle, best by 10/06. It pours a cloudy dark pumpkin with medium visible carbonation and a finger of off-white head of small bubbles that retains a 1/4" cap and leaves some lacing. Smells of tart/sweet cherries and cranberries, with wheat and a faint nutty/toasty aroma. It tastes like cherries, with wheat and lemon and a low hop flavor - maybe some green hops with a low bitterness. It has a light to medium body with sufficient carbonation and leaves a light finish. Overall, an interesting change of pace, but not something I'd make a session beer out of.

07-25-2006 22:49:33 | More by mmmbeer
kgotcher

Colorado

2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a very cool orange color with a pretty dense head with very tiny bubbles.

Aroma is cherries all the way but not like fresh cherries, more like a jar of marrachino cherries, it is really too overbearing. Taste is not so bad but the aroma really takes over before you can even get the beer into your mouth. I actually had to hold my nose and take a drink just to get a better taste of the beer without the aroma. Taste is also cherries but much more muted than the smell. You get a bit more of the crisp flavor from the malts and a bit of spicyness from the hops. Overall I really did not enjoy this beer, it smells like they just poured jars of marachino cherries into the fermenter and although the flavor was not bad I would need to drink this with a straw to really get any enjoyment from it.

07-24-2006 02:39:05 | More by kgotcher
MSchae1017

Georgia

3.7/5  rDev +18.2%

This beer was tasted in a weizen glass from a bottle.

This beer pours a crystal clear golden amber with a decent white head and minimal lacing. THe smell is like the cherry flavoring from cherry coke. The taste is also cherry sweetness from the artificial cherry flavoring, but it is quite good. It is a little thin on the mouthfeel but still good. Overall highly drinkable for a fruit beer, I don't know about as a wheat beer but good.

07-15-2006 02:47:30 | More by MSchae1017
pweis909

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

My first fruit beer, I believe.

It poured a light amber with a moderate head that disappeared fast. The reddish deviation from the more typical golden-yellow wheat argues persuasively that they really do make the stuff with cherries. You could call it a strawberry blond color, only I guess you really can't.

If the color doesn't convince you, take a whiff. The cherry aroma is powerful. However, if you take a deep whiff, you can detect a wheat beer under the fruit.

The cherries add some sweetness and a mild tartness to what would probably be an fairly standard american wheat beer, otherwise. None of the estery tones common to a german wheat were noticed.

As with some other wheats, I find the finish to be dry and light.

This is probably a like it or leave it kind of beer, depending on whether you like cherries in beer. For me, I think it makes a good summer drinker, a nice change of pace, but maybe not one I would drink often. I also think it might appeal to those who are less inclinced to the flavor of beer.

07-13-2006 12:13:48 | More by pweis909
walleye

3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

from the bottle. pour a honey color with a small white head. aroma Maschinos cherries, wheat, just a hint of malt. flavor, those Maschinos cherries and malts come out nice and strong along with a cola like flavor and a nice bitterness. I think this will be a good summer evening beer sitting on the deck by the fire pit

07-02-2006 23:02:29 | More by walleye
BigD1972

Rhode Island

4.6/5  rDev +47%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass
The appearance is a yellow orange with a decent foam head.
Smell is a very pleasant cherry aroma, not too strong or too light.
The taste is a refreshing combo of Wheat and cherry. I'm not a big fan of fruity beers, but, this one is by far the best I have tried.
Mouthfeel is very smooth, just the right amount of carbonation.
Very drinkable beer, perfect for that hot July day after doing some yard work or just relaxing in the summer sun. I recommend giving this one a try

06-28-2006 22:46:35 | More by BigD1972
rokoch27

3.63/5  rDev +16%

I don’t have a very pleasant memory of this beer from a bottle back in college, but getting it on tap on this warm evening was a great surprise! This beer doesn’t really feel like a wheat beer and is almost more of a light dessert, because it smells just like my mother’s cherry pie…delicious! Not at all heavy in the mouth or overpowering with cherry flavor, but is rather a simply stated surprise of a fruit beer. Not anything I would want in the winter months, but this could be a good beer to introduce someone to craft beer (as is the case with a number of Sam Adams beers).

06-28-2006 13:36:21 | More by rokoch27
Nesued

South Carolina

3.98/5  rDev +27.2%

Appearance: slightly hazy with a nice 1/4in head when poured from the bottle at "chilled" time (see below comments).

Smell: As expected, a pronounced cherry aroma that mixes with the barley/hops background. Not overpowering but at the same time an unexpected scent to the unsuspecting.

Taste: In my opinion, very temp. dependant. Served too cold and the cherry flavor is almost lost, making it almost your "average beer with a bit of cherry flavor". Served chilled and the cherry presentation is well formed and balanced.

Mouthfeel: Smooth entrance, a bit of a bite but not much to speak of, very mild of a finish.

Drinkability: For what this beer is trying to do, in my opinion it is successful (i.e. providing a cherry flavor to an existing beer base). This is not a cherry lambic, nor does it have the price tag of one either. To those ends if you are wanting a flavored beer with a mild base, this is a good beer. If you are trying to replace a cherry lambic ('cause the price is better) you may be suprised to find that this may fit the bill.

Additional comments: The first time I had this beer was many, many years ago in Boston at a cyclorama beer tasting event. Michael Jackson was there and the attendees were provided ten (10) beers to try/rate/etc. The reason why I mention this is at that time, this beer was the "cats meow" of those in attendance. Since then, I've tried it a number of times and can't say I recall why it was so favored.

Until now.

The times I've had this beer, it was served way too cold which didn't allow the cherry favor to present well with the foundation. Therefore, I would recommend this beer to be served chilled, but removed from the chiller about 30min before serving.

This presentation made all the difference in the world, and increased my rating significantly!

06-25-2006 16:21:45 | More by Nesued
mugoogio

3.6/5  rDev +15%

Cherry wheat...I always am skeptical about fruit beers, but the "wheat" piqued my interest, and Sam Adams is a very respectable larger scale brewer.

This beer smells very strongly of cherries. The cherry comes through in the taste as well, but it is not overpowering like the smell. The cherry smell (and taste) is almost a little artificial, but still pleasant.

The "wheat" part of this beer doesn't really come through. When you drink this beer, I guess it does feel...maybe a little thicker than you would expect. But the wheat taste is lost. That is unfortunate, in my opinion. This is not a bitter beer, and the flavor overall is good.

The color is amber and it is fairly clear. I would have expected a wheat to be cloudier.

Overall, I have bought two or three six packs of this beer over the last two years. I am enamored with the idea of cherry wheat, though it could be done better. Still, it is a solid effort. Good, but not great.

06-22-2006 22:47:14 | More by mugoogio
51mmz0rz

3.63/5  rDev +16%

A: Golden honey color, a bit cloudy with a little bubbles rising. Small amount of lacing on top, and decent lacing on the sides.

S: Strong Maraschino cherry smell, with some beer faintly in the background.

T: Cherry flavor up front, then malt I think. This is followed by more cherry flavor then followed by wheat. Aftertaste is wheat then bitterness and slighy cherry flavor.

M: Lots of carbonation, but thin.

D: Taste is plesent and not overpowering. Think I might enjoy a few of these unless I get sick of the taste.

Overall I think this beer is good, I like the fakeish cherry flavor and the sweetness doesn't tend to stick around, which makes it better.

06-22-2006 05:11:41 | More by 51mmz0rz
Phatz

3.28/5  rDev +4.8%

This is a very interesting beer that I have mixed feelings about. It is pleasant sweet cherry syrup flavor but it is artificial. I guess that doesn't matter if you like the flavor of the syrup.

Appearance: This beer pours a hazy orange with a creamy white head that has great retention and heavy lacing.

Smell: Sharply sweet intense cherry syrup aroma. I like maraschino cherries. If you do too you may like this aroma even though it seems like a cheep way to get an artificial taste in a beer.

Taste: Artificial cherry, maraschino, syrup flavor hits first; (dextrinous) but it is offset by a bit of malt and wheat flavor in the body. Some mild bitterness shows up in the finish keeping the sweetness form becoming cloying.

Mouthfeel: Very light and creamy with bubbly carbonation in the mouth. More bubblies than I would have expected but it nicely compliments the flavor.

Drinkability: I am not sure how drinkable this beer is. It is too sweet to consider it sessionable, too tart to be refreshing for a workday, it seems like the one occasion is a dessert beer with cherry cheesecake.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

06-17-2006 04:11:55 | More by Phatz
cjgator3

2.38/5  rDev -24%

Pours a cloudy orange color with a quickly fading head. The cloudiness is from the yeast activated from the bottom of the bottom because of a quick swirl. The smell really does smell like the filling from a cherry pie. Taste is dry and crisp with slight notes of cherry and wheat. I did somewhat enjoy the smell of this brew but the taste was not to my liking. I did not particularly enjoy the flavor of this beer and it was hard to finish the whole thing actually. There was just something about that cherry flavor that did not sit well with me. Glad I picked up a single and not a sixer.

06-14-2006 20:24:33 | More by cjgator3
DuqTroops

3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance - amber in color, a little coppery (cherry) color there though.

Smell - lots of cherries and wheat, great smell.

Taste - lots of malts with cherries. great balance.

Mouthfeel - easy to drink, little carbonation and lots of malts.

Drinkability - not sure if you can drink a lot in an evening, becasue there is too much fruit, but great finisher.

06-11-2006 04:28:40 | More by DuqTroops
bluejacket74

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

The beer pours a light, slightly cloudy copper color. The off-white head is very foamy, about 1 1/2 inches and sticks around a while with lots of lace. It smells like sweet cherries, more cherry-coke like than anything else. I couldn't really smell anything else other than the cherries. It tastes like cherry too, but it's not a strong flavor. There's a grainy/wheat taste in there too, but like the cherry taste, it's not strong at all. Not much of an aftertaste either. The beer smells better than it tastes. The mouthfeel is pretty thin, and it is easy to drink. Overall I'm not impressed. I usually like Samuel Adams beers, but this offering is very average. I'd drink it again if someone gave it to me for free, but I don't think I'd buy this beer again. There's many more beers I would rather spend my money on.

06-09-2006 23:16:08 | More by bluejacket74
beeroclock

United Arab Emirates

2.65/5  rDev -15.3%

This is one of those beers you have to be in the mood for. The appearance is just average. Copper color w/ little head. The smell is very strong, its cherry all the way. Tastes a little sweet w/ a bitter finish. Not bad but definitely not something I would want to drink all the time or often at all. I probably won't drink it again though.

06-08-2006 21:42:53 | More by beeroclock
trep

West Virginia

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

Fluffy white head that fades after a few minutes of sitting idle beside the ole PC. Fairly clear, orange Hi-C looking body with tiny bubbles of carbonation. Leaves a little lacing as it fades into blotchy bubbles on top of the body.

Aromas are dominated by marachino cherries and a little funky, earthy aroma. Probably faint traces of wheat below the fierce cherry aromas.

The taste isn't as cherry dominated as the nose, in fact there's a good bit of clean, easy on the pallate wheat in there. Cherries are prevalent of course, but they're far from the richness that is in the nose. The taste is gone almost as fast as you swallow. No aftertaste whatsoever.

Very thin body. Appropriate carbonation though.

Super easy drinking and something that I might enjoy on a scorching hot afternoon.

06-06-2006 02:30:39 | More by trep
abcsofbeer

4.2/5  rDev +34.2%

Poured from a bottle with Oct 06 freshness date. The color is a light orange with a good amount of rising bubbles. The head is nicely topped, off-white in color and rocky. It leaves a few rings and some specks of lace around the glass. The aroma hits you right after it is poured, from some distance away from the glass. I think it smells like a cherry pastry or cherry Coke as it is very sweet and pungeant. It does not smell at all like beer.

The taste is mostly cherry with some malts and hops in the back end. I detected a small amount of hop bitterness which rounds off the taste nicely. To me, this is a very refreshing and light tasting beer. I recommend it.

06-01-2006 13:08:26 | More by abcsofbeer
EPICAC

2.8/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: Pours a slightly-hazy copper with a white foamy head that thins to a persitent layer. Large bubbles stream from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Very strong and overpowering candy-like cherry aromas.

Taste: Light cherry flavor upfront, that fades into an American-style-wheat-beer flavor in the finish. The cherry flavor is present throughout and while not overpowering is a little cough-syrupy. The finish is grainy with little bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light to moderate carbonation, smooth with a lightly dry finish.

Drinkability: Refreshing aside from the slight cough syrup flavor.

05-30-2006 05:18:56 | More by EPICAC
jwc215

2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured amber with a thin white head.
It smelled of sweet cherry with a background that was somewhat "off".
You can taste the cherry - not so much the wheat.
It had a stickiness to it.
I drank it - but I would rather have the Lindeman's Kriek Lambic if I wanted this style. This tasted like a cherry soda. Not bad, but nothing special. Not the best from Boston Brewery.

05-30-2006 03:59:38 | More by jwc215
jmbranum

Oklahoma

3.83/5  rDev +22.4%

I've had this beer several years ago and wasn't impressed (then I thought it was too sweet and not very complex), but I was pleasantly surprised with this tasting I had as part of a beer sampler.

Bright orangish color with a small head. Very slightly hazy.

The cherry flavor and aroma is what jumps out at you in this beer. It reminds me of the flavor of those chocolate covered cherries that sell at Christmas time, and is surprisingly pleasant and drinkable.

The wheat part is pretty subtle, and frankly a bit more malt flavor could round this beer out nicely.

Overall, this beer is very drinkable and is a definite improvement over what it tasted like (at least to me) in the past.

05-26-2006 02:18:47 | More by jmbranum
elsinore

2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottle given me by a friend. Freshness dated for July, so should be no problems there.

Pours a cloudy light orange, maybe a little less cloudy than I tend to associate with wheat beers. Head is nice, dissipating fairly quickly but leaving plenty of lace behind.

Smell is big round sweet cherry ... almost with overtones of marzipan or almond to me, very sweet. Doesn't really grab me that much.
The taste starts with more of the same big sweet cherry (whoever called it "maraschino" pretty much nailed it.)
Then the cherry retreats for a while and gives you some nice wheaty spiciness ... then it comes back a bit for a touch of maraschino aftertaste.

The label says this is made with "real cherries and cherry flavor."
Even though I really have no idea, I'm gonna suggest that the "cherry flavor," whatever it is, is to blame here.
The sweetness here is not a flavor I associate with unsweetened, straight-from-the-tree cherries.
It's not horribly cloying ... it's just not that subtle, and maybe just a little bit Triaminic-ish in combination with the wheat.

I like and respect the Brewer-Patriot, but I really didn't find this one of his more outstanding offerings.
I give it points for appearance and mouthfeel, and on a hot summer day I suppose I could put down a couple around the barbecue. But I don't quite think Sam Adams nailed what a really good cherry wheat could be.

05-26-2006 01:46:04 | More by elsinore
A38Fitness

4.58/5  rDev +46.3%

All I have to say is WOW!

This beer rocks! I am a big Sam Adams fan and love everything about the company and the beers. I'm not a big fan of Boston Lagar, just think it's OK. Summer Ale is in my opinion below average. Winter Lagar is Outstanding!!

Last but not least Cherry Wheat Ale. Yeah, CHERRY, WTF..lol But it's Sam Adams so I had to try it. Has to be one of the tastiest beers I have ever drank. Just like the other guys said, it pours a very nice head. I love the taste, smell, texture, color and just everything, even the bottle it comes in I love.

Bottom line, I highly recommend this beer. Find out who has it in stock and buy as much as you can afford.

Enjoy!

05-21-2006 00:07:01 | More by A38Fitness
mooseisloose

2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into my trusty 0.4 liter chalice it has a nice head that dissapates quickly. Not much lacing to speak of. Pours to a rusty yellow hue. The smell is very cherry, smells like JuicyJuice cherry in fact. Taste starts with the tartness of cherry followed by a brauny wheat. Carbonation is airy. Finish is more tartness. I like the "middle" taste with wheat and hint of cherry but the front end and back end are a little too sweet. Very different. I guess it would make a great "dessert" beer. Off the wall. Something I would serve as a conversation piece but wouldn't really drink in any quantity.

05-18-2006 01:13:44 | More by mooseisloose
objectivemonkey

2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Into a pint glass, pours a slightly hazy golden color, with a decent whitish head and ok stringy lacing. Nose has wheat hints, thought I picked up banana hints when colder, but now just a kind of junky cherry thing going on. Taste is similar, a decent wheat malt in front, but I just don't like the marachino cherry thing it has going on, bordering on the comical, like cough syrup or 'cherry' flouride, just isn't balanced out right, too much cherry when cold or warm, first sip and last. Mouth is probably the best thing about this beer, creamy, enough carbonation to give it a bit of spring. This is a desert beer if anything, but not one I'd buy again. Sorry Sam, not your best work.

05-17-2006 23:52:11 | More by objectivemonkey
Zorro

3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

A beer I have enjoyed from time to time for at least 10 years I have some how just never reviewed.

Pours a mildly hazy amber colored beer with a very healthy off white colored head.

Smell is strong maraschino candied cherry and wheat malt. And that is it in a nutshell maraschino cherry.

Taste is slightly sweet with a wheat malt flavor accented by the maraschino cherry flavor just like it smells. Not a terribly complex flavor, just wheat malt and cherry, no hops tasted. After a while this starts to taste a bit like a cherry Pop tart.

Mouthfeel is good and bready.

A tasty beer that is perfect for dessert. Certainly not a beer for everyone but if you love the taste of maraschino cherry then this beer is for you.

05-13-2006 02:16:11 | More by Zorro
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)