Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Cherry tinted golden color with a tan head.

Aroma is mostly of artificial cherries and soem malt.

Taste is again ver strong with the cherry. A decent wheat beer lies in teh background.

Light and refreshing feel.

I would not want more than one of these at a time.

3.45/5  rDev +10.2%

It has a light hazy body, pale golden color and a big thick white head. The aroma of cherries is very strong in this beer. There are some light malt flavors that are mostly covered up by the sweetness of the cherries and honey. The taste is good but the body doesn't really support the sweetness. Its light to medium bodied with soft carbonation and a smooth mouth feel. It's a very good looking and smelling beer but its balance is a little to sweet for me. However this may go well with a dark chocolate brownie. I think I will give that a try.

3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Sexy head on this one--big sticky, frothy off-white head that retains well and leaves some pretty nice lace all the way down. The beer itself is a light amber/ruby/pinkish color, almost like an apricot with a little bit of red in it. I would think that with the amount of cherry aroma and flavor this has the beer itself would have a more reddish hue.

S: "lol, we're cherries". That pretty much sums it up. It's a prominent cherry aroma that permeates a 2 foot radius of my glass. It's smelling good, though. Not really any beer smell here. Maybe some distant yeast smell or something? I can't say for sure.

T&M: It's got a crisp malty flavor right off the bat, with the cherry notes emerging later on with a somewhat dry and bitter finish. The limited, yet discernible hop presence in this beer really helps the balance and finish well. About halfway through it starts to develop a cherry Robitussin taste. I'm not really diggin' this medicinal thing. It's got a very crisp mouthfeel with a medium body and a balanced finish--not too dry, but not so sweet as to discourage another sip.

D: It's not too sweet and doesn't really overpower you in any big way, but that said, it doesn't stand out a whole lot in its flavor, either. It's a nice change-of-pace beer, but not something I would session with or drink regularly.

2.53/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have had this before on draft, not had a bottle from a mixed 6 pack.
Pours a dark, slightly cloudy gold color, with a nice foamy head. Strong smell of artifical cherries. Taste is also full of cherry flavoring. I found it too sweet and artificial syrup tasting. Mouthfeel is a bit dry like a wheat beer should be. It seems that this is one you either really like, or really don't. Unfortunatley, not one of my favorites.

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a bottle into a half chalice.

Pour a lightly clouded honey color with a rocky one finger head that recedes leaving nice lacing.

Aroma is cherry up front. Malt with floral yeast. Wheat with cherries. Aroma is quit like cherry cake with vanilla butter cream icing.

Flavor is wheat and grain. Oat bran and cherry. Fresh cherry flavor is upfront but not cloying. Grains really come through on ht eback with a nice bready flavor that yields to a warming alcohol finishing with rolled wheat bran.

Mouthfeel is medium with a nice creamy consistency. Carbonation is middle of the road between harsh and soft. very silky and creamy with a slickness in the mouth.

Drinkability is good, but I think the cherry would get old after a while.

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours golden brown with a small head. The aroma is cherries and some grains,the grains are light. The taste is malts,cherry and wheat. This beer is sweet,but not too sweet. The malts blend well with the cherries and although there is some bitterness it does not ruin the beer in the least. There are some light hops but yes the cherry is the main flavor.
The feel is a dry,high carbonation
syrup and sweet. The carbonation is high,but in a good way. I prefer the dry finish.

Notes: A lot of talk regarding whether this is a chic beer. I suppose that many women do like fruit flavors,but a good beer is a good beer regardless of style. I do not prefer fruit/vegetable beers and yet I thought this would be a good alternative to a Corona on a hot summer day. I buy one from time to time and while this beer may not define or represent the manliness of the beer I normally drink it is fine for certain moments. I do not care to worry what the "macho men" seem to think. I drink for the experience and not the hang over.

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

12 oz bottle

A - For some odd reason I was expecting more color. Pours a darker golden color, with very little haze. The head is about 3mm, which is dissipating very slowly.

S - Cherrys all the way. It just outright dominates. Nuff said.

T - Fortunately the cherrys play less a role in the taste. It starts out very light and easy with a even mix of bitterness and malt. No hop flavors are exposed. Finishes with an interesting combination of cherry flavor and bitters.

M - It seems somewhat heavy in body to me. Makes it harder to drink. Would full me up.

D - No doubt I could drink a few of these at a time. With my tour through the spring style beers, this is another good example of what would be very refreshing on a warm day.

2.7/5  rDev -13.7%

Got this out of a Sam Adams sampler acquired at the Jacksonville Grub Mart. Pour was in a standard 12oz mug.

A: Came across as a nice amber, a bit cloudy, with a nice foamy head. Pretty to look at.

S: Heavy on the cherries. Could smell the cherries as I poured and as it sat on the table between sips. Further investigation came up with a traces of grains, but you really have to search.

T: Once again, heavy with cherries. This is almost overpoweringly fruity. It is tasty at first but gets old fast. It is almost candy sweet. I was not that impressed, the girlfriend loved it.

M: I was crisp but did leave an almost syrupy aftertaste on the finish.

D: I couldn't drink more than one in a sitting. I thought it was too sweet. Once again, girlfriend loved it and is her beer of choice.

This was my biggest disappointment when it comes to Sam Adams. I hate to label it as a chick beer, but I fear it may be that. The cherries overpower any taste that a beer would have. To each his own, but this is not for me.

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

A: When I poured this one from a bottle to a mug, it had a yellowish color and a cloudy texture. There was an OK head and some good lacing.

S: The aroma, predictably, was dominated by cherries. Not unpleasant, but it didn't necessarily remind me of a beer smell.

T: Like the smell, the taste was dominated by cherries. You do get a bit of the titular wheat and some malt, but the star of the show was the cherry.

M: There was an above average amount of carbonation here, along with a kind of syrupy finish. This is a medium-bodied beer.

D: I have mixed feelings about this one. If you like fruit beers, you might want to try this one. It's not bad, but I don't think I'll move it into the lineup.

2.8/5  rDev -10.5%

Welcome the coming of Spring with this light and cheerful beer.

I poured this into a pint glass and thought "oooh, pretty" looking at the amber color and half finger of light head.

The aroma was mostly wheat from the bottle, but when poured the cherry was very prominent.

The taste was not that good. After a good sized-gulp there's an aftertaste that is almost on the sour side. It's actually a bit hard to swallow.

Edit ~ Upon further reviewing, I found out that cherry wheat does not settle well in the stomach when it follows a thick red, namely a St. Rouge Red.

3.1/5  rDev -1%

12 oz bottle into a seidel produces a pretty orange-amber body, and a finger of head that shrinks to a fuzzy sheet that leaves lacing.

Smells of wheat and cherries; no messing around with nuance here;

Taste is tart and sweet; fake fruit;
cool, clean, medicinal...cough syrupy...smoothly wheaty with significant artificial cherry flavor.

A little yucky out of context, but really good with pizza with tomatoes, pepperoni ,feta cheese, and anchovies--a big-flavored brew that can stand up to other big flavors.

Drinkable as a faux-fruity-faux-fruit beer can be; if you like that kind of thing.

3.85/5  rDev +23%

Appearance: clear honey-like dark golden color with only a ring of head
Smell: solid cherry sweetness, reminded me of that cherry car fragrance smell, which is probably contributed by extract, yet still made me happy
Taste: bread like wheat, solidly infused with cherry, tastes raw, almost like a freshly plucked wheat stalk
Mouthfeel: dry, low carbonation, worked well
Drinkability - tasty, I'm not a big Sam Adams fan, but this one worked for me

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

Appears better than it tastes. Still a solid brew and cherry flavors always make me happy.

A- Light amber/pink color. decent head with some lacing.

S- Smells like sweet cherry juice

T- Tastes more like cherry cough syrup because of the bitterness of the hops

M&D- Feels like a pale ale, but the cough syrup flavor makes it more suitable to drink only 1 or 2.

3.93/5  rDev +25.6%

I enjoy this beer as it is not as sweet as a lot of the fruit infused beers on the market. I actually enjoyed the ale in the very Sam Adam'=s glass that was ever so generously sent to me from the Sam Adams brewery for being a founding member of the great Beer Advocate magazine. Cheers! The wheaty taste and hint of black cherries made it very quaffable as a light after dinner "dessert" drink.

4.3/5  rDev +37.4%

this beer is incredibly easy to drink, the taste is definately cherry, almost like luden's cough drops in beer form. which can be a plus or minus, depending on who you are. this is definately an easier drink to have but in no means is any form of a "manly man" beer, but its good, however for fruit beers i wouldnt put it in my top 10. its a good beer to try out, but after 2 the taste gets alittle too much for me.

3.13/5  rDev 0%

Pours a golden amber color with a strong white head. Beer is notably clear.

Aroma is of marichino cherries, sweet malt, and a very light hop.

Strong cherry flavor, and a strong grainy wheat as well as caramel.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly low. Low alcohol makes for easy consumption, but strong cherry flavor becomes taxing.

4.63/5  rDev +47.9%

One of my first beers. It's still one I love to go back to nearly year round. It just makes me happy.

Poured in a pint glass

A- Golden with attractive lacing and a small head

S- Sweet cherries explode in the nose with a light refreshing smell. I wish I could wear the beer.

T- Wonderully sweet yet balanced. Unlike many so called fruit wheats you can clearly taste the cherries. Sweet wonderful mouthfulls of cherry balanced with a light wheat spice. Best sevred and drank ice cold. I hate to give a 5 but this is godly nectar to me, only two other beers I have ever had warrent 5's but this is one.

M- A nice coating just enough, not to much. with a decent linger.

D- I buy a six pack almost every friday. I rarely tire of it.

A beer for lovers of fruit and sweetness. Hop fans may want to look elsewhere. Sorry to gush. Great with desserts or just to add a sweet counterpart to a meal.

4.08/5  rDev +30.4%

Color was a golden color with a extremely small few fruit zests present.

Smell was all cherry with a hint of vanilla.

Taste is almost all cherry. It is strange, the flavor of cherries is so powerful but compliments the flavor very nicely. A faint taste is present (maybe honey?).

It is for all intensive purposes an average beer with a pleasant cherry taste.

I am giving this beer a better review than I think I should. Mainly because I think it will fill a good void of giving me the drink I need when I am not in the mood for a stronger beer. It is very drinkable for one or two bottles.

3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer is a mediocre wheat beer with lots of cherry flavoring. It pours a golden amber color with some head and retention, and a hint of red, probably from the copious quantity of cherry thrown in here. The lacing is modest. The smell is all cherry, perhaps a smidgen of strawberry, vanilla, and almond. As the beer settles, there is some grainy wheat hints that pop through. This is a moderately carbonated, light bodied, fairly simple beer that just smacks of cherry and not much else. Cherry soda is not far off the mark with this one. Hops? I'm still looking for them. I've had plenty of Lambics, and this one is just not in the same league. It's an okay, somewhat change a pace type beer, that is a novelty. Would I buy it or try it again? No, but that does not mean it isn't worth a try. I wouldn't go particularly out of the way to find it, however. The aftertaste is thin, and it really has a pretty flat finish. What else can one say about an entirely average beer. It does smell nice though.

3.18/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Pours a typical wheat orange color with a slight amber glow. Head is white, thick, and has pretty good retention with a little lacing.
S - Cherry aroma is overpowering. Smells like a box of cherry Ludens cough drops. A very slight hint of wheat aroma lurks underneath.
T - Wheat beer with cherry essence. Just a hint of cherry at first, then fades to wheat. Much more subtle than the aroma. Good balance.
M - Light to medium body. Medium to high carbonation. Smooth and finishes slightly dry and clean.
D - Enjoyable beer. A little sweet, but probably intended this way. Tastes much better than it smells. Good session beer if you can get past the overwhelming aroma. Drinkability is a 3.0 only because it's really difficult for me to get past the smell every time I take a drink.

2.73/5  rDev -12.8%

On tap @ Sam Adams RIC

Nice carbonation-bubble-bath sudsy head, light honey color

Sweet cherry perfume (maraschino) with a little pie crust-pleasant yet artificial

A little tinny and clammy with again, maraschino cherries and not a lot else-slight Pilsener-ish hop presence-a little straw malt

Bubbly, clammy-finshes better than starts

Too heavy for light style-not quite natural-better options in this space

2.15/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a nice, crisp light amber colour with a fluffy white head that has excellent retention time and leaves pillows of residue in the glass.

The aroma has wisps of wheat and grass, but this one is far and away led by the sweet smell of cherries, to the point that they become both overbearing and medicinal. Too strong for my liking.

Flavour is, unfortunately, even worse. Lack of balance once again drives cherries to the front of the mix. Wheat is certainly present but essentially left for dead behind the strong cherry taste. Once again, this one is far too medicinal to enjoy. Mouthfeel is light bodied with a bit of dryness to it and a slight touch of. you guessed it, a medicine feel to it.

I used to really, really hate this one. I pretty much still do. There's a plethora of fruit beers that I enjoy, some even with cherry flavouring, but this one just does not work on any level save for a very nice appearance. This beer needs to be seriously reworked. Stay away.

2.53/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a medium amber-orange with a slight sudsy white head that quickly dissipated.

S: a overbearing, artifical-like sweetness contributed by the cherries, and some sugary fruitness.

T: cherries, very fruity and pretty much one dimensional. There was some cereal grains in the palate but it was the cherries that pretty much dominated the flavor.

M: overcarbonated providing a lively tingling and fizziness with a thin body.

D: Drinkability was like a cherry 7-up. Pass on this one.

2.78/5  rDev -11.2%

A decent 1.5 inch head that was retained nicely, had a characteristic "tangy" smell of sour cherries and malt. This beer tasted rather artificial to me... this part was hard to describe. However, it was definitely comfortable with just enough substance. Drinks like a soda, very good drinkability.

All in all, not my favorite Sam Adams, but still an okay beer. I'm not a huge fan of fruit flavored beers (unless they're lambics) so this may be slightly biased.

Do give it a try.

2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Enjoyed at my friend's house last night and poured into a glass, on to the beer:

The beer is orange as peach in color with a well-retaining head. White rings of foam cling to the glass as the beer is consumed. Soft cherries dominante the aroma. The taste is also cherry dominated and very one-sided. There are faint notes of assorted nuts and hops. Good smooth mouthfeel, a little on the heavy side. Because of the latter, it is actually more of a beer to take in small doses.

My friend's mother also tried this out to, whom doesn't really drink beer outside of Bud. She said it tasted like Cherry Pepsi. I would say this could appeal to casual beer drinkers, but is a "meh" pick for veteran beer drinkers.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)