Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
beeroclock

United Arab Emirates

2.65/5  rDev -15.6%

This is one of those beers you have to be in the mood for. The appearance is just average. Copper color w/ little head. The smell is very strong, its cherry all the way. Tastes a little sweet w/ a bitter finish. Not bad but definitely not something I would want to drink all the time or often at all. I probably won't drink it again though.

06-08-2006 21:42:53 | More by beeroclock
trep

West Virginia

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%

Fluffy white head that fades after a few minutes of sitting idle beside the ole PC. Fairly clear, orange Hi-C looking body with tiny bubbles of carbonation. Leaves a little lacing as it fades into blotchy bubbles on top of the body.

Aromas are dominated by marachino cherries and a little funky, earthy aroma. Probably faint traces of wheat below the fierce cherry aromas.

The taste isn't as cherry dominated as the nose, in fact there's a good bit of clean, easy on the pallate wheat in there. Cherries are prevalent of course, but they're far from the richness that is in the nose. The taste is gone almost as fast as you swallow. No aftertaste whatsoever.

Very thin body. Appropriate carbonation though.

Super easy drinking and something that I might enjoy on a scorching hot afternoon.

06-06-2006 02:30:39 | More by trep
abcsofbeer

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

Poured from a bottle with Oct 06 freshness date. The color is a light orange with a good amount of rising bubbles. The head is nicely topped, off-white in color and rocky. It leaves a few rings and some specks of lace around the glass. The aroma hits you right after it is poured, from some distance away from the glass. I think it smells like a cherry pastry or cherry Coke as it is very sweet and pungeant. It does not smell at all like beer.

The taste is mostly cherry with some malts and hops in the back end. I detected a small amount of hop bitterness which rounds off the taste nicely. To me, this is a very refreshing and light tasting beer. I recommend it.

06-01-2006 13:08:26 | More by abcsofbeer
EPICAC

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Appearance: Pours a slightly-hazy copper with a white foamy head that thins to a persitent layer. Large bubbles stream from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Very strong and overpowering candy-like cherry aromas.

Taste: Light cherry flavor upfront, that fades into an American-style-wheat-beer flavor in the finish. The cherry flavor is present throughout and while not overpowering is a little cough-syrupy. The finish is grainy with little bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light to moderate carbonation, smooth with a lightly dry finish.

Drinkability: Refreshing aside from the slight cough syrup flavor.

05-30-2006 05:18:56 | More by EPICAC
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured amber with a thin white head.
It smelled of sweet cherry with a background that was somewhat "off".
You can taste the cherry - not so much the wheat.
It had a stickiness to it.
I drank it - but I would rather have the Lindeman's Kriek Lambic if I wanted this style. This tasted like a cherry soda. Not bad, but nothing special. Not the best from Boston Brewery.

05-30-2006 03:59:38 | More by jwc215
jmbranum

Oklahoma

3.83/5  rDev +22%

I've had this beer several years ago and wasn't impressed (then I thought it was too sweet and not very complex), but I was pleasantly surprised with this tasting I had as part of a beer sampler.

Bright orangish color with a small head. Very slightly hazy.

The cherry flavor and aroma is what jumps out at you in this beer. It reminds me of the flavor of those chocolate covered cherries that sell at Christmas time, and is surprisingly pleasant and drinkable.

The wheat part is pretty subtle, and frankly a bit more malt flavor could round this beer out nicely.

Overall, this beer is very drinkable and is a definite improvement over what it tasted like (at least to me) in the past.

05-26-2006 02:18:47 | More by jmbranum
elsinore

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Bottle given me by a friend. Freshness dated for July, so should be no problems there.

Pours a cloudy light orange, maybe a little less cloudy than I tend to associate with wheat beers. Head is nice, dissipating fairly quickly but leaving plenty of lace behind.

Smell is big round sweet cherry ... almost with overtones of marzipan or almond to me, very sweet. Doesn't really grab me that much.
The taste starts with more of the same big sweet cherry (whoever called it "maraschino" pretty much nailed it.)
Then the cherry retreats for a while and gives you some nice wheaty spiciness ... then it comes back a bit for a touch of maraschino aftertaste.

The label says this is made with "real cherries and cherry flavor."
Even though I really have no idea, I'm gonna suggest that the "cherry flavor," whatever it is, is to blame here.
The sweetness here is not a flavor I associate with unsweetened, straight-from-the-tree cherries.
It's not horribly cloying ... it's just not that subtle, and maybe just a little bit Triaminic-ish in combination with the wheat.

I like and respect the Brewer-Patriot, but I really didn't find this one of his more outstanding offerings.
I give it points for appearance and mouthfeel, and on a hot summer day I suppose I could put down a couple around the barbecue. But I don't quite think Sam Adams nailed what a really good cherry wheat could be.

05-26-2006 01:46:04 | More by elsinore
A38Fitness

4.58/5  rDev +45.9%

All I have to say is WOW!

This beer rocks! I am a big Sam Adams fan and love everything about the company and the beers. I'm not a big fan of Boston Lagar, just think it's OK. Summer Ale is in my opinion below average. Winter Lagar is Outstanding!!

Last but not least Cherry Wheat Ale. Yeah, CHERRY, WTF..lol But it's Sam Adams so I had to try it. Has to be one of the tastiest beers I have ever drank. Just like the other guys said, it pours a very nice head. I love the taste, smell, texture, color and just everything, even the bottle it comes in I love.

Bottom line, I highly recommend this beer. Find out who has it in stock and buy as much as you can afford.

Enjoy!

05-21-2006 00:07:01 | More by A38Fitness
mooseisloose

2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured into my trusty 0.4 liter chalice it has a nice head that dissapates quickly. Not much lacing to speak of. Pours to a rusty yellow hue. The smell is very cherry, smells like JuicyJuice cherry in fact. Taste starts with the tartness of cherry followed by a brauny wheat. Carbonation is airy. Finish is more tartness. I like the "middle" taste with wheat and hint of cherry but the front end and back end are a little too sweet. Very different. I guess it would make a great "dessert" beer. Off the wall. Something I would serve as a conversation piece but wouldn't really drink in any quantity.

05-18-2006 01:13:44 | More by mooseisloose
objectivemonkey

2.98/5  rDev -5.1%

Into a pint glass, pours a slightly hazy golden color, with a decent whitish head and ok stringy lacing. Nose has wheat hints, thought I picked up banana hints when colder, but now just a kind of junky cherry thing going on. Taste is similar, a decent wheat malt in front, but I just don't like the marachino cherry thing it has going on, bordering on the comical, like cough syrup or 'cherry' flouride, just isn't balanced out right, too much cherry when cold or warm, first sip and last. Mouth is probably the best thing about this beer, creamy, enough carbonation to give it a bit of spring. This is a desert beer if anything, but not one I'd buy again. Sorry Sam, not your best work.

05-17-2006 23:52:11 | More by objectivemonkey
Zorro

3.68/5  rDev +17.2%

A beer I have enjoyed from time to time for at least 10 years I have some how just never reviewed.

Pours a mildly hazy amber colored beer with a very healthy off white colored head.

Smell is strong maraschino candied cherry and wheat malt. And that is it in a nutshell maraschino cherry.

Taste is slightly sweet with a wheat malt flavor accented by the maraschino cherry flavor just like it smells. Not a terribly complex flavor, just wheat malt and cherry, no hops tasted. After a while this starts to taste a bit like a cherry Pop tart.

Mouthfeel is good and bready.

A tasty beer that is perfect for dessert. Certainly not a beer for everyone but if you love the taste of maraschino cherry then this beer is for you.

05-13-2006 02:16:11 | More by Zorro
squish059

4.8/5  rDev +52.9%

grabbed a six pack of this looking to try something new. always a big fan of sam adams so i figured "why not?"
this is my first wheat ale and my first fruit beer so i was weary to say the least, i'm also not a big fan of cherries but i thought they'd probably go well with beer.
very nice smell poured a nice head that mostly went away in 2 minutes but a bit stayed. obviously a taste of cherries but with a very nice beer...i would love it without the cherries. near perfect carbonation. great beer to drink, only planned on having 3 but drank the entire sixer. anytime i see this stuff i'll grab one. very delicious.

04-12-2006 19:38:31 | More by squish059
shamus

Ontario (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev +12.4%

I'll start by saying that I tend to not like fruit flavoured beer. That being given I did like this beer. It was another well crafted SA brew. My girlfriend ordered this on tap at Taps in Boston. We had been walking around a lot and it was actually pretty refreshing.

I can't say that I would order it myself if only because I prefer pale ales which are the opposite of sweet. However if the opportunity came up again to have one I would not refuse it and maybe even look forward to it.

If you do like fruitish beer then I'm betting you will enjoy this.

Having read some of the other reviews I would also recommend drinking it on tap rather than from the bottle.

04-12-2006 16:20:01 | More by shamus
Manosbeeroffate

Maine

1.3/5  rDev -58.6%

Sam Adams usually makes winning beers. This does NOT fall into the category. Pours a nice golden orange which is the best part of it. Smells like saccharin and those cherries you get on ice cream sundaes. Taste? Well like those candy cherries and robitussen. It's quite nasty. At least the taste doesn't linger. Mouthfeel? so what. Drinkability? Well if you close your nose and gulp it, you can finish it quickly. What pisses me off big time is that this crap is easy to find, yet the double bock is damn near impossible to find. What the hell is wrong with you people????

04-10-2006 20:35:05 | More by Manosbeeroffate
DouggiePhresh

2.98/5  rDev -5.1%

I must say, this is a totally different brew in a glass. I reviewed this when I drank it out of the bottle. It tasted like cherry soda when I drank it out of the bottle. Now I believe I was "tasting" the aroma. It certainly smells like cherry soda, but tastes nothing like it. It pours a light copper color with a large head that quickly dissipates to a thin head-film. The smell is amazing, almondy-cherry. Tastes like almonds, hint of cherry and water. The mouthfeel is very fizzy leaving an almond aftertaste. It is light and drinkable. But then again, I really cant rate on drinkability. (I drank 1 bottle of Chimay Blue, Delerium Tremens and a bottle of Fort in 1 night!)

04-08-2006 01:31:05 | More by DouggiePhresh
jameaterblues

3.93/5  rDev +25.2%

So its summer here and I have been drinking alto of wheat...Here we go on the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Poured from a 12oz bottle the beer itself was a amber color, darker than most wheat's, with slight red and orange hints. The head was a large(3/4 inch) creamy white(slight pink hints also present) that took a while to diminish. Lots of white lace left from the head...all around the edge of the glass. This beer almost does not smell like a beer. It is exactly what it says a cherry wheat....there is a strong smell of sweet cherry(lots of cherry and I can't stress that enough), and lots of sweet malt. The beer itself is not nearly as sweet as it smells. There is a lot of sweet malt, and cherries present in the forefront of the body. But it finishes surprisingly crisp with just a light bit of hops to balance it out, and a tartness from the cherries. For something that could be so sweet...Sam really knows how to balance his beer. Sam Adams does wonders with this beer. the smell is over the top, and the taste toned down enough to complement it. It appeals to multiple senses at once. The beer has ample carbonation creating a pleasant mouthfeel, and for a fruit beer it is surprisingly drinkable. Maybe I should put a disclaimer on this....I don't mind sweet beers, and this time of year fruit wheat's are great in the hot southern weather.

04-07-2006 04:38:54 | More by jameaterblues
jabocu

Georgia

2.45/5  rDev -22%

Poured a medium brown honey color with a quickly dissipated white cap. Aroma was very much cherry almost like a cherry jolly rancher with a little grain undertones in the nose. The problem I had with this beer is it reminded me of cherry cough syrup. Even though I love the kriek lambics and other cherry drinks, this one turned me off. The flavor was more of the same. If I could have seperated the cherry flavor and the wheat flavor they may have been good...but some some reason together remind me of a medicinal syrup. A little bitterness to help mellow it out. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a hint of alcohol and medium carbonation. I would not have this again.

04-06-2006 16:59:45 | More by jabocu
acarroll413

2.6/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass

A- a dull palish gold, slight amber. the head was big and white and thats why it got a 3.5 instead of a 2.5 like everything else.

S- smelt like cherry triamedic, nothing else.

T- this was not as bad as pete's strawberry blonde, but its close. the problem with this beer is that the taste is too much like flavored syrup and not enough like the fruit. also, the beer itself was wheaty, and quite bitter at the end.

M- smooth like a mouthful of nails, but at least they pumped some carbonation into it.

D- yeah um no thanks. the 2nd worst fruit/veggie beer ive ever had.

04-05-2006 02:54:48 | More by acarroll413
MrSeth

4.22/5  rDev +34.4%

Pours with a golden body, some brownish tone and a thick light tan head. Smells gorgeous! Marzipan (sweet almondy), ripe cherry and malt. The taste follows up with sweet cherry right up front, then bready-doughy-marzipan flavors, and a bitter finish. The hops don't stick out here, allowing the sweets to come forward delightfully. I have to admit that this is already one of my favorite brews of all time. Delicious with a chicken parm sub.

03-27-2006 22:23:51 | More by MrSeth
BurnsTau

Alabama

3.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a deep amber with little head.

Smells strongly of (duh) cherries. Maltiness and normal beer aromas are present behind the cherry.

Tastes was cherry. Think of a good lager with some cherries thrown in. At first it was refreshing and different. After I finished just one beer though I was a little put off by it, I'm not so sure that beers are made to be this fruity. However, it was a decently good beer and it is definitely what it claims to be, a cherry wheat. If fruit beers are your thing then this is definitely worth a shot. I may pick this up again later in the summertime for a refreshing fruity beer.

03-21-2006 02:51:43 | More by BurnsTau
oldirtycaffrey

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%

They were giving bottles of this away at a local Bennigans for 25 cents over the summer -- GREAT DEAL! I like this much better than Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic. Smell is of sweet cherry & it's really close in taste to a black cherry soda -- with alcohol, of course. The apperance is nice -- pretty basic amber with a good head. Drinkability is also good--had three before they told me they were all out. Wasn't surprised considering the price...

03-17-2006 20:27:58 | More by oldirtycaffrey
AltBock

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%

12oz. bottle with a label that isn't as nice as the one pictured on BA. Mine had a simple label with a small picture at the bottom of of Samuel Adams holding a mug up giving a cheers sign. On the side there is a Best Before month on the side and mine being the month of March. There is also a small neck label giving information about the beer you're drinking.

Appearance: When poured into my mug, it was this light hazy orange color with a 1 finger head of white foam. It dissiapted slowly and left some rings and lace around the glass.

Smell: I found the aroma to be quite pleasing of nothing but cherries and little wheat in the background. It may not be the most complex aroma, but it still was very good.

Taste: The taste was opposite of the smell, by having more wheat up front than the cherries and the cherries being more like the wheat and only a little bit in the background. It was ok, but I wish there was a little more of a cherry taste than that of a wheat taste.

Mouthfeel: I found it to be light with a slight waterd down cherry aftertaste. Not too watery, but it still was watery.

Drinkability: It may not be the best of the Sam Adams line, but I still found it to be somewhat refreshing. An ok beer if you can find it on sale somewhere and nothing else is available.

03-16-2006 20:09:09 | More by AltBock
cyberbmcd

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

My friend Chris gave me an excellent suggestion on how to drink this beer: Don't Pour It.

That's right, drink it straight from the bottle like a bud at a block party.

The aroma is immediately distinct: cherries. The fact that it's a wheat brew as well doesn't help with some people. I've noticed among my friends that consider ourselves beer "snobs" that I am the only one who thoroughly enjoys wheat brew. In any case in this offering, if you pour it you'll be disappointed. It almost needs the extra carbonation from the bottle to present it's case. Creamy and full bodied from the bottle it loses steam when you pour it, presenting as a flat thin brew with little flavor after the cherry blast.

From the bottle it rolls in your mouth and you get the full brunt of the wheat brew underlying the cherries.

Overall: pop the top and enjoy this with dessert

03-11-2006 20:44:08 | More by cyberbmcd
Lancer211

Arizona

3.8/5  rDev +21%

Poured from a bottle into a stein.

Appearance is brownish orange, very carbonated. Head forms after a short pour with moderately sized bubbles, head color is ivory. Lacing is prevalent. Carbonation continues to form with vigor; many, many bubbles.

Smell is very strongly of cherries with a hint of wheat, very pleasing to the nose.

Taste is not quite as cherry-y as expected from the scent, but there is certainly a clearly recognizable cherry taste midway through the sip, with just a hair of a bitter hops finish. Mostly sweet.

Mouthfeel is a tad rough, and the abv is only 5.2 yet the alcohol is still felt once it hits the throat.

Not too heavy; certainly drinkable. Could drink a few of these in a row. The key is to be eating a food that compliments its sweet flavor.

All in all, I enjoyed this brew. I was not extremely impressed but I wasn't let down either.

03-08-2006 20:53:59 | More by Lancer211
ColoradoBobs

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

Very orange beer with a decent almost white head, from a fairly gentle pour. Slight haze and lots of streams of bubbles. Wheat and cherries on the nose. Pleasantly sweet taste, though the cherries are not as far forward in the taste as in the aroma. Light hops bitterness and a nice dry finish. Mouthfeel is a bit slim, but very quaffable. I was pleasantly surprised.

03-07-2006 00:07:18 | More by ColoradoBobs
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)