Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev +25.2%

I do not normally like fruit beers, but this was a part of a mix pack, and I gave it a try. I am pleasantly surprised. I have even had this very beer before and not liked it, but I like it this time. Might be the glass - .5 liter wheat beer glass. This helps taste the cherry, which may be a tad too much.

3.85/5  rDev +22.6%

A great beer to mix it up a little.
A: Nice amber in a glass. Very little head. Just a loose lacing exists during the whole experience.
S: Cherries and Cheeries.
T: Cherries, followed by malt, then a splash of bitterness to wash away the cherries. Nice finish.
M: Light with medium carbonation
D: I could probably only have 2 of these in a row, just because of the fruit style, but otherwise, very drinkable.
A great beer to pair with dessert. Nice job BBC.

3.7/5  rDev +17.8%

A decent dark gold colour with a very nice head and lacing.

Smells like an average wheat beer but with cherry very conspicuous.

More cherry in the taste than I expected, I could take it or leave it really. It reminds me a bit of cough syrup flavouring. The wheat beer behind the cherry is pretty good.

Mouthfeel is and good smooth with acceptable mid-range carbonation.

Drinkability is ok I could drink a few of these during the winter and probably enjoy them, but I wouldn't say that this will become one of my regulars.

3.74/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a nice twist on a fruit/vegetable beer.

I love cherries but perhaps not as much as Sam Adams. They killed my palate with the overwhelming taste of cherry in this beer.

I liked the tartness of this beer and appreciate the effort in this beer.

I have a 6-pack to kill. I think I'll take my time with it.

3.23/5  rDev +2.9%

Dark golden/amber ale, small dissapearing off white head. Strong cherry cough medicine aroma, not bad at this time of year! After a while the harsh medicinal tone goes and it has a scent of glazed cherries. Pretty straighforward taste, cherry dominates, but not as sweet as the nose might lead one to believe. Actually gets a wee bit bitter on the end, like cherry pits. Mouthfeel is thin, and its only the pleasing carbonation that stops it being downright watery. What can I say, a pleasant enough drink, better in hotter weather.

2.24/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

I'm generally fine with most of the Sam Adams products, especially those that are a little out of the ordinary i.e. imperial pilsner. However, their Cherry Wheat misses the mark. The look is fine - nice, golden color with a nice white head that leaves some lacing. The smell is not so great - maraschino cherry syrup; very sweet and cloying. The taste is not so cloying, but still nothing good - too sweet when there should be some tartness. Mouthfeel is like soda bordering on harsh. Yeah, this isn't my cup of tea, but I could see people enjoying this one. It's like beer, but not. Recommendation to avoid.

1.41/5  rDev -55.1%

I drank this, against my will, out of a 12 ounce bottle. This stuff is haggard. If i wanted to drink robitussin, i would go to the pharmacy and drink that. Samuel Adams beers are usually pretty decent, with some being outright tasty but this is terrible.

I'd rather drink King Cobra, good lord.

4.17/5  rDev +32.8%

12 ounce bottle in Pilsner glass

A: Reddish hazelnut with almost no head and light lacing.

S: cherry slightly sweet. with slight lager overtone.

T: Cherry and Sam Adams Lager mix. A little hoppy. flavor stays, but in a good way.

M: Mouthfeel is thin and cherry flavor stays till the next mouthful.

D: Not the best, but for some reason I Love this beer.
Great with Spicy Wings!!!

3.69/5  rDev +17.5%

Served in a 20-ounce pilsner glass at Chili's.

A: Poured a slightly red, bubbly looking golden yellow with a minimal head of loose foam.

S: Smells of straight up cherry; a little sour, and slightly sweet. Not too much else in the nose. Like Cherry Coke.

T: Tastes like a straight up lager with cherry extract added. Not as bad as it sounds though, albeit, not very complex. There's a slight hop bitterness, but it's mostly sweet cherry and grain.

M: Mouthfeel is thin and brisk. The artificial cherry flavor coats a bit.

D: I could have had another, but I switched it up to something more complicated afterwards. Not bad, but probably more suited to the summer months. Fairly drinkable.

Overall, a pretty decent fruit beer. Not being a big fan of the style, I liked this SA addition. I don;t think I could take down a whole 6-pack, and at 5.2%, it's not the fruit beer you take very lightly. It can sneak up on you, so I recommend it for its sneakiness.

3.12/5  rDev -0.6%

The color is a light amber that is a little cloudy and has some hints of an orange tint to it as well. It definitely is a beer that smells like cherries mixed with a little bit of a hoppy smell. Also the cherry smells remind me of maraschinos or those luden's cough drops. The taste is alright as one can taste some kind of cherry taste mixed in but it is not too prevalent. The aftertaste is a bit similar to what one would get from drinking a cherry coke which is a light cherry taste lingering on the tongue. Overall, it is an average beer and at least it is not too fruity. One can tell that this is a beer and not some kind of malt beverage, which is nice. My biggest complaint would be that there does not really seem to be a balance between the hops and the cherries too much. Sometimes it almost seems like the two flavors are clashing with each other.

3.12/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance: It was an average yellow for a beer of this nature. It was a little hazy but not much.

Smell: Strong old fashioned cherry soda smell. It is very sweet you almost for get it is a beer.

Taste: There was a little bit of beer flavor but not much. The cherry kind over powers the beer taste

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: I could have a few of thes but I think that I would get tired of them quick. I do however, think they would be good with a nice cigar.

3.29/5  rDev +4.8%

I bought a six-pack of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Ale at a grocery store. Limited availability in my area. Poured into a pint tumbler.

Pours a rich gold color and is hazy. A modest foamy white head forms, but is not resilient. Still moderate lacing appears on the glass.

The smell is good with a sweet cherry aroma dominating. The smell is one-dimensional but interesting.

Taste is predictably about cherries, with something of an artificial cherry flavor, along with a mild medicinal taste, like a cough syrup. Not the most natural tasting brew. There is a bit of a pie crust flavor in the background, and a mildly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good, crisp and full-bodied, without being cloying. I was expecting a cherry syrup consistency, which wasn't there.

Average drinkability on this one. It's an interesting beer, but I wouldn't want to drink much of it. It's a little too sweet to be sessionable. It would be a good special occasion desert beer.

4.84/5  rDev +54.1%

First of all I would like to say I'm going to be very open minded with any review that I do knowing that everyone has their dislikes and likes. I would like to start out by saying for a 5.35% alcohol content beer this is a very good choice to get with the ladys as it is smooth and lacks that overall beer taste alot of woman despise. I am reviewing this as a flavored beer cause thats what it is. If your not the flavor beer kind of person don't waste your time purchasing this. I think the smell of this beers is amazing smelling of cherrys of course. The head is really thick and just perfect. The taste is very smooth cherry taste with a faint wheat flavor with no sign of any alcohol taste around I was surprised to find out its alcohol content. Overall I think this beer is a excellent choice best flavored beer I've ever had. Samuel Adams has always been my favorite beer company and they have not failed me on this one.

2.67/5  rDev -15%

Pours out light yellow with a modest white head. The smell is big on the cherries, very tart, quite appealing.

The flavour starts with a strange off-base cherry twang and takes a long time before allowing the malts to assert themselves at all A wheaty backbone to the beer does show up if you let it sit in your mouth for a few seconds. The cherry flavour comes back on the finish. A strange taste to evaluate, I like it once the malts come in, but the front end is abrasive.

The mouthfeel on this, about average. It's a wheat beer with minimal hopping. Drinkability, well, not fantastic given the flavour.

The bottom line: The smell on this gave me hope, the flavour took it away. I like fruit and vegetable beers, but this one just has something wonky going on in the flavour department. A disappointment.

2.04/5  rDev -35%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Apricot color with a reddish hue, produced a nice frothy head that stuck around for a while.

S - Incredible! Like fresh cherries, so strong in fact that I could almost taste them. I took in the aroma for several minutes before taking my first sip.

T - I'm not going to waste time trying to explain what profiles I could pick out, because this tastes exactly like something most people have already had, so I'll point it out. This tastes like Cherry 7-Up, and I mean exactly like it - except with alcohol. To further clarify, cherry 7-Up does not taste good when alcohol is in it, unless it's liquor of course.

M - Light bodied and a slightly overpowering bit of carbonation. Whatever cherry flavoring that is lingers as well.

D - Null for me on this one, I'm not entirely certain I can even finish one. Maybe if Cherry 7-Up is your favorite soda, and you've been dying to try an alcoholic version, this will be for you, otherwise, I do not recommend it.

2.94/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into a pint glass this beer was a golden color with a little cloudiness (not transparent) and had a nice 3/4 inch head that lasted for most of the glass. This has an overwhelming smell of sweet cherries. Upon my first sip I could taste the cherries I had smelled, but was surprised at the bitter bite the brew had. There was subtle hints of spice, but I could not get past the bitter taste in my mouth, not what I was expecting. It had decent carbonation and more weight than a light beer had. I cannot figure what the after taste is, but I do not like it--almost to the point of not drinking any more of the six-pack my wife bought for me to try. This is an interesting beer to try, but not one I will make any repeat purchases of.

2.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours surprisingly bright, huge white head that lasts the whole way thru. Smells overwhelmingly like cherry, very sweet, some spices. Tastes very bitter, overwhelmingly cherry-y, slight malts, bad aftertaste. This beer is not very drinkable, but you should try it I guess.
I am sure that this otherwise perfect brewery has to be a little disappointed in this one

4.22/5  rDev +34.4%

Pours clear, slighty hazy.

Smells and tastes sweet and fruity.

Generally, I do not enjoy fruit flavored beers. But this beer and Saranac's Pomegranate Wheat are the two major fruit flavored beers that do it for me. Try this underrated Sam Adams if you enjoy fruit beers.

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured with a reddish amber color with very little head, although I wasn't sure whether to expect one or now. The nose of this beer was intriguing and took a second to really take all in. The initial aroma is a mixture of sweet cherry and darker, woody scent - too heavy for a simple wheat, but not bad at all. A second whiff gave a different - and deliciously pleasant almond cookie aroma - which seemed more predominant as time went on and really made each sip appetizing.

The cherry flavor is very evident, and the wheat hangs around the edges. The mouthfeel is smooth throughout, with a slightly harsher finish. The balance of sweet and bitter is skewed slightly toward the former but not overly so, giving it an appealling taste throughout each sip. The almond nose gives it an extra nuance each time, and together the flavors and aroma provide an overall rather refreshing beer.

4.3/5  rDev +36.9%

This is one excellent beer that is always a nice sweet break from bitter beers once in a while. It pours an excellent amber color with a nice white head. The body even looks a little cherry-ish. The aroma is of sweet malts and cherries. The taste is just that - sweet malts and cherries, but like the candy kinds of cherries. It really is a nice taste and it almost doesn't even taste like a beer. It gets a more beery taste when it warms up a bit, but other than that, this beer is pretty much cherries. Great aftertaste and excellent mouthfeel. Try this beer, it is definately worth a shot.

3.62/5  rDev +15.3%

This beer pours a medium dark yellow. Very little head. Smell of this beer is ok, with just a hit of wheat and cherry. The taste of this beer is what sold me on it. The cherry shines through, but at the same time is not to over powering or sweet. The cherry stays with it all the way through the palate. And the wheat gives it balance. Mouthfeel is average, a bit on the light side. Drinkability is a tough call, while it is very drinkable, I think that I have to be in the right mood to drink it. I think sometimes it would seem great and just what I want. Other times I could see only having one, and switching quickly. That said I think it is worth a try, and would buy it again.

3.28/5  rDev +4.5%

A- pours a tawny golden brown, slightly hazy with rising bubbles. 1in head like white lather with sheets of lace left behind

S- cherry cough drop and buttery wheat. that's about it, the cherry is very overpowering.

T- cherry cough drops and cereal grains, predominantly wheat and rye. granola, dried leaves. the lil bit of honey gives the cherry an artificial taste. faint malt under the cherry with a dried leaf/grass aftertaste.

MF- crisp and refreshing like kool-aid, a lil syrupy, high carbonation, this is a thirst quencher.

D- yeah but the cherry annoys me after a while. a good contender for this style, i only wish everyone could use real fruit instead of flavor syrups.

3.54/5  rDev +12.7%

I have had this one both on-tap and in the bottle. It seems that the bottle will give you a better head than the one on tap.

A- Brownish red with minimal head.

S- The cherry smell is great! This is the best part of the beer to me.

T- Good taste with the profound cherry aftertaste. It finishes better than it starts.

M- Nothing special there. Lack of fizz and life. Kind of dead in the mouth, but not bad.

D- Good for a couple beers only. I dont think drinking an entire sixer of this is doable. You will be over it after a beer or two. But all in all, a must try.

3.48/5  rDev +10.8%

12 oz brown longneck poured into a Imperial Pint. The beer is a darkish gold with a chill haze. There is a nice dense white head and it leaves some nice lacing.

The cherry aroma hits you as soon as you pour the beer. While strong, it is not artificial like some cherry beers.

The taste is of cherries (surprise, surprise) with some grains in the background. The beer is slightly sweet and reminds me a bit of cherry Kool-Aid. There is some nice tartness that emerges about ½ way through and this helps balance the beer.

The mouth seems just about average. Drinkabilty is a tougher call for me. Would I drink this all night, no. Would I drink this one once and a while, sure!

3.79/5  rDev +20.7%

Got this 6-pack at Walsh's in Brighton, MA after a recommendation from a friend. Cracked open a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Moderate to little head with gentler poor. Attractive brown almost red hint. Smelled amazing. I don't believe I've ever given a 5 for smell, but this definitely warrants a 5. Sweet cherries, hops, and sweet malts. Taste was great. Nice cherry taste without being too overwhelming or sweet, but still present. Sweet malts and hops follow behind, but the cherry flavor will be the most memorable taste. Only downfall of this beer is that because of its sweet nature, it's drinkability is severely decreased. Would not be able to get more than two down in one sitting, let alone session with it. Overall, delicious beer, give it a try. If nothing else, it acts as a great gateway for crossovers from macros to craft.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)