Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -17.2%

I think this beer is a case of my expecting one thing and getting something entirely different.

This poured a clear amber/yellow much like a typical Krystal Weizen with abundant creamy thick head, quite nice. Smell is sweet with cherries with wheaty undertones, Also quite pleasant. Unfortunately that's where the pleasantries end. The cherry in this beer is more of a slight sour aroma with little to no sweetness, and aftertaste is a bit rough, mainly from the cherries.

Unfortunately, this one was a disappointment.

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle a hazy amber gold with a light white head and light lacing.

The aroma is cherries all the way. Brings back memories of the Smith Bros. cherry cough drops I had as a kid.

Taste is of bitter cherries with an even more bitter metallic finish.

Mouthfeel is light with a quite fizzy carbonation.

I'm finding it hard to get past the bitter metal taste of this beer. Definitely not going to be a favorite of mine..

2.97/5  rDev -5.4%

Very light color in the glass, after I pour it, one thing that I must admit is that the smell that came out of the glass was amazing!, very little head and minimal lacing, the taste was a little hopsy and artificial like.

Overall if you are seeking for a "liquid dessert" this might hit the spot but not something to drink the whole night.

Appearance- Nice orange color with minimal head.

Smell- Can really smell the cherry in this with a bit of hoppiness.

Taste-I can really taste the cherries in this beer. With a slight hint of hops.

Mouth- Medium body with a lot of carbonation.

Drinkability- This isn't a bad beer at all. You can really taste the cherries and the crispness of it makes it a nice beer to have when its hot outside.

1.74/5  rDev -44.6%

12 oz bottle, best before Dec 07.

Clear copper with a small beige head, decent lace.

Aroma is overpowering maraschino cherries.

Flavor is artificial cherry with a light dusting of wheat.

Finish was dry with a sour note.

This was a disappointment. Glad I only bought one.

3.27/5  rDev +4.1%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat opened as one of the most explosive brews I've
ever seen. If I try this one again I'll be sure and open it over a sink. What was
left poured out a couple stiff fingers of foam over a clear amber brew. There's
a lot of carbonation happening, and the nose is marachino cherry and wheat
malt. The flavor is tart black cherry soda and wheat with a bit of herbal hop in
the finish. Dunno. It's alright I guess, but it doesn't compare with the Boysenberry
Wheat they had last winter. It seems a touch out of balance.

2.59/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz brown standard Sam Adams bottle. Cap states "Brewmasters Collection". Amber-tan in color with a good size head that doesn't last too long. Very effervesant.

Smell is well, cherries and I don't mean the fresh kind. Sticky cherry juice with a hint of tabaco and earth. The taste is more of that syrupy cherry flavor with some malt at the end. Too fake for me. Some chalk notes and maybe something dry or bitter mixed in.

This beer is fake and flabby and not my style. I also feel it is overcarbonated as well. The flavors do persist at the end. Overall, this is not for me. It is everything that is wrong with fruit beer.

3.89/5  rDev +23.9%

This beer was surprisingly great. It smells of subtle fresh cherries (no candy flavors just fresh cherry) and the smell of beer.

Taste was exquisite. A very exciting beer to try. The taste is of beer and a slightly more than subtle hint of fresh cherries. I really do not like cherry that much personally in general but this taste of cherry in this beer is amazing. I am ever so pleasantly surprised at how wonderfully refreshing this beer is.

Drinkability is really good. Could drink it all day all night and with the mildly high abv this is great for getting intoxicated. absolutely love it. friends and family were surprised and amazed as well (we arent even sam adams fans).

sam adams for the win!

3.53/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, states 5.35% ABV, notches indicate best before date of November 2007. Bottle states "wheat ale brewed with real cherries and cherry flavor"

Appearance: Deep orange with a hazy red color, light off-white head, big lacing, noticeable carbonation bubbles.

Aroma: definite cherry candy flavor, a little tart/sharp. Hints at cheap graininess (think BMC) as it warms up closer to room temp.

Taste: huge cherry flavor, finish is slightly off, but aftertaste is sour and tart and tasty. The cherry flavor is somewhere between sour/tart cherry candy, and Robitussin cough syrup. Hops and malt body are minimal to undetectable.

Mouth: Tingly carbonation, moderately slick.

Overall, a decent, drinkable cherry beer, and something I'd drink again, but nothing amazing. I've brewed with real cherries, and canned, and cherry flavoring (from Steinbart, I think.) Cherries are tough to brew with, and not get a cough syrup result from, and Spam has done pretty well with this one. I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be.

2.77/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Average, not one of Sams Adams best, not really all that drinkable. I could have one or two at the most. A little too much cherry sweetness for my palate, but overall not bad. Did smell good, however. Mouthfeel was pleasant. Not much lacing on glass.

2.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Clear robust gold color with a soft, sticky, milky looking head. Aroma is sweet cherry juice holding back any malts trying to sneak through and a hint of butterscotch in the way back. Upon the first sip, there is a striking lack of anything. The aroma has me anticipating a syrupy mess and what I get is...blandness. I suppose its better than a sloppy, cough-syrupy, artificial fruit beer. At least I can drink this. The palest of light malts, a faint sweetness, and watered down cherries. Its crisp and refreshing, not a bad body for a summery beer, but its almost as if the mouthfeel is more in focus than the flavor. Good if you're doing things out in the sun and using beer purely for refreshment. At least its not as unpleasant as I remember it being.

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

First beer reviewed out of a Sam Adams glass so I figure it should be one of their products.
Pours a nice clear light straw color with a one finger head and quickly falling lace.
Smells of wild cherry soda, with a little beer in the mix..very sweet in the nose. Tastes of fresh cherry with a mildly malty backing and a fairly bitter finish. Not muck other than cherry and slight bitterness .
Mouthfeel is light.

1.8/5  rDev -42.7%

Obvious cherry nose and faint hint of wheat and hops. Pours light amber color with almost no head. Extreem cherry taste with some maltiness and hint of wheat that is quickly offset by a jolly rancher like taste, initially it throws you off because it doesn’t taste like any other beer ive ever had. It really taste like some sort of soda.

3.37/5  rDev +7.3%

A nice cherry aroma but not a strong beer.
I would call this a nice summer refreshing wheat beer, not heavy and not filling. Cherry flavor is OK (but my six pack may have been old because there was a small bad after taste).
I've had these before and it's a nice change if you like the fruit flavored beers.

2.23/5  rDev -29%

I'm not sure I would recognize this offering as beer rather than soda in a blind test (well maybe the alcohol would tip me off, but even so). The taste is a cloying cherry punch with perhaps a dusting of wheat flour, but only a dusting. The smell reveled the one-dimensionality of this before I even had a swig. And the mouthfeel was syrupy and lightly carbonated, like a soda. Not recommended.

4.23/5  rDev +34.7%

I first reviewed this beer back in May when it was 1st available, but I saved 2 - 12 oz bottles as they neared the 'brewery fresh taste' date of Sept. '07 and I decided to re-review it.

A - clear deep golden color with a big fluffy white head, that settled down a bit, but lasted, there was a constant flow of tiny bubbles in the glass and it left a good amount of lacing.

S - smell of cherry, as it was before, is still there, but not as over-powering.

T - strong cherry taste has toned down and now the malted wheat taste comes through, with a nice crisp finish.

M - clean. crisp, light and refreshing.

D - good drinkability, different and refreshing.

I'm glad I sat on a few of these and IMO this is a beer that should be enjoyed about a month or so before the recommended 'drink by' date.
I'm going to get a few more before the end of Summer.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

A-Clear brown with a two finger head. disspates down to a nice slick of cream couloured bubbles. Lacing is minimal

S sweet cherries and not much else

T. Sweet cherries overpower any hops and malt. Not bad but it doesn't do much for me. A little more twang would do good.

M-light bodied and medium carbonaion.

D-For what it is it isn't awful but not really my cup of tea. I would like a little more than cherries

2.08/5  rDev -33.8%

My first Sam Adams, and after reading the reviews of this beer evidently I bought the worst of the brand.

Poured a nice amber with a two or three-finger head which quickly dissipates to lace.

Smell was overwhelmingly cherry... not bad but some more smells to balance would be nice.

Taste was of watery cherry Nyquil, and the more you drink the worse it gets! It's a totally artificial, medicine taste.

Mouthfeel is good, just like a well-made wheat beer should.

Two of these is about all I can stomach... I won't be back!

I've heard pretty good things about Sam Adams beers, so I won't let this beer discourage me from trying the others, but this one is pretty nasty!

2.06/5  rDev -34.4%

I was fairly fond of this when I first started drinking, and my wife still likes it. In fact I had poured this for her before she decided to go with a mixed drink for the night, so I was stuck with it.

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. A slightly sticky looking head that leaves a bit of lacing on the glass. Color is a little orange-ish.
The smell right away is a artificial cherry syrup, like Grenadine. No other beer qualities are noted. taste is not much better. It is overly sweet with candy sugar and more syrupy cherry flavor. The is malt base that is all but washed out by the cherry flavor. Mouthfeel is syrupy and sticky.
It seems that the Cherry Wheat I remember from college tasted like a beer with a cherry finish, but now it seems to be all cherry. I will pass on this.

2.16/5  rDev -31.2%

Bright gold body, slighty hazy, three fingers of off-white foam rubberish micro-micro-bubbles. Good lacing.

Cherry nose lives somewhere between Dr. Pepper and cough syrup. It's cherry, not sure if it's real. Not beery.

Mild wheat lays down a light straw bed across the tongue, followed by some Dr. Pepper. Finishes with an ultra strong cough drop taste which sucks any pleasure out with it.

Mouthfeel is ok, I guess. The finish is so off putting I'm having trouble noticing the mouthfeel.

Cough drop finish makes it difficult to desire what's left in the glass, much less more of the beer.

Mediocre wheat + Dr. Pepper + cough drop = unsatisfactory. Sam Adams does a whole lot of things right. Better than right. This is not one of them. Hell, give me the Cranberry Lambic instead.

1.87/5  rDev -40.4%

Pours a one finger tan head over a crystal clear bright light orange liquid. Smells of marchiano cherry. Sweet and preserved fruity. Tastes rather unpleasant. Marchiano cherry meets jelly belly in a carbonated beverage. Syrupy cough medicine flavor with a very odd end/aftertaste. Cherry is in the flavor line of cherry cola. Carbonation on the tongue in the aftertaste can get rid of the cherry flavor, but does dry out the beer a bit. Medium body, but thick in a syrupy way that makes me wonder about how the cherry flavor was imparted. Md-heavy carbonation. This was a dumper. Blech.

2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

i am thinking that i am not really a fruity beer dude. i like my beer like beer. nonetheless i am trying some and this was the first. this is a good beer but a little sweet for my tastes. poured nice with nice stuff but the flava...not me.

worth a try. SA does have good products. just pay attention to the label (Cherry).

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

2.06/5  rDev -34.4%

A-Light orange...unimpressive head for a wheat

S-Artificial cherries....cherry cough syrup....completely uninviting...why they can't achieve a more natural cherry aroma is befuddling to me.

T-Am I sucking on a cherry cough drop or did I just drink this beer...nasty cherry cough syrup flavor...Not much else..some tartness on the finish..

M-Light side of medium...about what I'd expect for the style..

D-Not for me....If I want a cherry cough drop I'll suck on one....I think Sammy does a nice job with their beers for the most part but this one needs to be reworked or eliminated...

4.12/5  rDev +31.2%

Another beer leftover from my canoe trip. Those poor guys didn't get a chance to try some craft brew. Second out of my cooler is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I was looking forward to this one.

Appearance is good. A nice head that lingers for a while.

Smell is one of the best I've sampled. A strong cherry aroma.

Taste is good. The cherry flavor is out front and almost overpowers the other ingredients. Gives a slight cherry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good. Feels like a good beer.

This is my first fruit beer I've ever tasted. I could enjoy a few of these.This beer is good, but I still have this sense that there may be a few too many cherries in the brew.

3.77/5  rDev +20.1%

Again Sam Adams submits another high quality, yet somewhat mediocre selection. Their Cherry Wheat pours a cloudy golden amber with a frothy white head that recedes to a slight bit of spotty lace.

The aroma is primarily cherry and malt. The cherry seems pleasantly authentic rather than extract. Some wheaty character lingers throughout.

The flavor is of somewhat syrupy sweet cherry. The cherry flavor seems to be a bit more synthetic than the aroma insinuated. Still tasty however with some mellow maltiness and grainy/starchy wheat. A hint of hops is present in the finish.

The mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy but is lightened a bit by moderate carbonation. A nice summer brew. Not the best fruit beer I've had by any stretch of the imagination, but not as bad as many people insist. A quality product.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)