Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured a deep golden color, with a nice head. The smell of cherry was very overpowering and I could smell it far away from the glass. It didn't smell like natural cherries do, more like the artificial cherry flavored stuff. The initial taste is very much like any other wheat beer, but that soon was completely replaced by the cherry flavor. The cherries tasted much more natural than they smelled, and although it was definitely the dominant flavor, it did not overpower the beer. The finish was very mellow and silky. If you like cherries this will be a good beer for you, but it just didn't taste enough like a regular old beer to be enjoyed on a consistent basis.

olegv40, Dec 24, 2006
3.45/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

It pours a very clear and shiny golden yellow. A finger of bright white head settles instantly to foamy flotsam. Lacing is minimal, but there, if you look hard.

The aroma is distinctly cherry, seemingly of the Michigan maraschino cherries, and they pretty much step heavily on any grain presence. But the cherries are peppy, I'll say that.

Upon tasting, the cherry character again wins by a landslide, imparting a tart, fruity sweetness that just barely lets a hint of wheaty tang to push through. The finish is short and only moderately dryer than the sweet body of the beer. If you like cherries, the flavor is nice, but doesn't offer much else.

Light bodied, it's neither here nor there, feeling very average on the palate, though the cherry sweetness clings a bit.

I think if perhaps the wheat had more of a role here I would like it a lot more. Instead, it comes across as a fruity concoction that leaves the grain lost and thin. In fact, The overall feel is almost of one of those ubiquitous "malt beverages" and I somehow doubt this is what BBC was going for. On the flip side, it is somewhat drinkable, as the sweetness is controlled enough to be crisped a bit in the finish, making it refreshing, in its way. This was the main offering at a friend's home during the Eagles' dismantling of the Giants, and I talked to him about maybe steering clear of the fruity brews, and certainly this one.

Foxman, Dec 18, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +31%

This one pours a dark yellow with a tall white head that fades quickly. The smell is very strong, mostly cherries with some sweet notes. The taste is very similar, very sweet and strong, the cherries dominate this beer. Not much else comes out in this beer it is one dimentional but if you like that aspect you are set. I see this beer as a love it or hate it. I happen to love it, it is an easy drinker with a smooth crisp mouthfeel. Even though the cherry taste is strong it doesn't get annoying for me. As far as fruit beers, this is my favorite. I hope you like it as much as I do. Enjoy!

wingman14, Dec 16, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +29.4%

This brew pours into my pint glass a golden color with fair clarity. A white head developed but rather quickly diminished into a thin, but long lasting skim. The aroma of the beer was no surprise, cherries, actually smelled like maraschino cherries; the smell was dominating and powerful, but pleasant. There were no real strong malt or hop aromas. The flavor is a little bit of graininess and wheat taste and a lot of cherry. The hop bitterness combined with any acidity from the cherries gives the beer a nice balance. By the smell I expected an overlysweet brew, but found something more balanced than I expected. No real hop flavor to speak of, but that was expected. The carbonation was moderate, body was medium-full, and had a nice smoothness. Overall I thought this beer was great. The handful of times I've entered the fruit beer realm I often left unsatisfied, but this one is a keeper. The aroma is wonderful, especially if you like maraschino cherries (which I do). The flavor was much more balanced and beer-like than I expected with the powerful cherry aroma. The beer was also quite smooth and finished with just about the perfect amount of tartness.

uwmgdman, Dec 14, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a golden yellow with a medium head that slowly faded. The smell had aromas of wheat and a cherries. The flavor had a medium body of wheat with a relatively strong flavor of cherries. The hop profile was very light in all aspects. The mouthfeel was relatively crisp with a medium carbonation. I felt that this was a good beer and unique for it's taste. However, I couldn't see myself drinking alot of them. It's worth a try though.

jdmorgan, Dec 11, 2006
3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

I am happy beers like this one exist, because well, it makes the macro beer world a much more interesting place. But unfortunately, I didn't like this one, and well, it wasn't all that good...

Appearance is cloudy, no head. Strong (really strong) aroma of maraschino cherries, which is nice, but doesn't come out nearly as much in the taste. Body is well carbonated but flavour is quite flat. The cherry flavour is too sweet for beer - the maraschino cherry anyways. I might suggest a different type of cherry? This seems more like it should belong to a mixed cooler. Flavour can come across as artificial at times, though it is well fitted into the beer and stays well rounded. Overall this beer was a fun one, but I don't think it quite works... Too sweet a flavour and yet not nearly enough taste. Somewhat below par for what it should be.

biegaman, Dec 03, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

After the pour there was little head and it dissappeard quickly. the body was a golden color and hazy.
The smell was that of cheeries, and very strong.
The taste was not too good at all, I felt that it was a very processed taste and seemed artifical and too sweet. It was like drinking a cheery soda.
The mouth feel was like that of a watered down weizen.
One of these is enough for me, it's too sweet to drink more than one. Not a good call for this one.

eze153, Dec 03, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a tall hefe glass. The liquid is yellow and clear with good carbonation. The Head is big and 3 fingers fluff white. As it fades it leaves a lot of well formed lace.

The smell is strong of cherries, all but hiding everything else.

The taste follows, up front lots of sweet cherries. (Being a son of Door County Wisconsin, I favor a more tart variety). Never the less. this cherry beer is full of cherry taste, However the after taste is the downfall. This one reminds me of Medicine. A very stale and nasty cherry cough medicine. This one came close to being a drain pour.

The mouthfeel is almost good, nice carbonation and a little bite but not enough to break up the thick cherry syrupiness that holds the nasty after taste on your tongue way to long.

The drinkability is not good, I will not try this offering again. MK

MuenchenerKindl, Nov 24, 2006
3.13/5  rDev 0%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle, BBD of April 2007 notched into the side of the label, poured into a cone-shaped pilsner glass.

Appearance: Poured a hazy golden yellow color. The head formed 2-3 fingers thick, faded very slowly, and clung to the sides of the glass on the way down.

Aroma: Cherries and some wheat

Taste: Wheat up front with the cherries more in the background. Towards the finish the cherries become more dominant, and linger nicely in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, but a little watery.

Overall: This would probably taste better on a summer afternoon than on a winter's evening like this one, but it's still better than I expected. If you like fruit beers this one's worth a shot.

FenwaySquid, Nov 23, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +37.4%

One of my absolute favorities, as I feel that's it's rare for a beer to be made into EXACTLY what it was intended to be as much so as Cherry Wheat. The cherry taste here is just wonderful at the start, with enough carbonation to really set it off. Somehow, the Sam cherries manage to tast better than your typical cherry. The finish is stronger on the wheat flavor and is extremely clean. Almost everyone I know enjoys this, even if they aren't typically into craft beers.

BrandonUB, Nov 17, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +24.6%

Poured into a pils glass it forms a nice whispy white head that leaves lots of lace behind. Slightly hazed yellow body that has a tint towards amber in the core.

Cherries are delightfull and I'm glad they didn't have them as an afterthought but more or less the main theme. Baked bread enters the picture and gives it some needed balance and depth. Touch of hay and dry grass here and there. Carbonation has enough force to sizzle in the taste and a nice exit before the finish.

Notes: I found this really enjoyable. I could see this as a nice daytime brew and quenching enough for hot weather.

DogFood11, Nov 17, 2006
3.18/5  rDev +1.6%

It's not good or bad, it just is. Basically tastes like cherry on a triscuit. There's a strong sweet cherry flavor on top of white american wheat. Smells of mostly cherries with a little wheat. Not really my taste, but if you're a beer noob or into fruit beer its worth a shot. Some of my friends that enjoy craft beer also love this stuff so it can't be too bad.

tempest, Nov 13, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into mug

Coudy amber hue with a touch of a red tint. About a one inch off-white head which slowly settles to a foamy cap. String lacing along the glass.

Very strong cherry aromas, with not much else coming through.

Thick syrupy cherry flavor along with bits of wheat malt flavor. Bits of bitterness in the back of the mouth. Bit of a chewy feel from the medium body and the low carbonation.

This is a very enjoyable beer in my opinion, artificial flavoring or not. I guess some people find it too sweet. This one goes well after a dinner as a good dessert beer.

BeerSox, Nov 12, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

cloudy pale orange, creamy head
loads of sour cherries on the nose

Cherries tast a little artificial, mouthfeel is very lively. The cherry taste is a little sour, not too sweet, and dominates the entire taste profile. Cherries are faded out by a grainy dryness. Brew is thin though, I would have liked to see a more robust malt bill to stand up to these cherries, more wheat character as well. I think more prominent characteristics of a traditional amber ale to accompany cherries would improve this one. But very refreshing and surprisingly drinkable despite my criticism.

Cadyfatcat, Nov 02, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

I got this beer in a Sam Adams mixed 12-pack.
Poured into a pilsener glass for lack of other clean glassware.
The beer looks very pretty, an light amber with burgandy overtones.
It smells decent, kind of a mix between a hefeweizen and cherry soda.
When I first took a sip of this beer, I liked it. It starts off in taste like a normal weissebier, which I love. However, with each additional sip, I felt like I was drinking Sam Adam's with a cherry Luden's cough drop in my mouth.
If you like cherry soda (think IBC Black Cherry) and Sam Adams Hefeweizen, you might like this, as it pretty much tastes like those two beverages mixed together.
This beer is refreshingly carbonated and I found it to be best when fairly cold (around 40-45F).
This could be a very good beer were it not for this artificial cherry flavor. It is very drinkable and refreshing, and wouldn't be a bad choice when trying to convert people from macros.
I couldn't drink more than a couple of these, though.

thefenst, Oct 30, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +18.2%

A gentle pour is required to keep this one in check. Comes out a clear golden with an orange tint. Thick foamy white head leaves some okay lace.
Sweet wheat and malt aroma in the background. Strong sour cherry up front. Nice aroma.
Overall it's fruity sweet with a tart touch. Cherries are strong, but you get some other fruitiness in the flavor maybe from the wheat or yeast. A touch of hops in the back.
Light to medium bodied. HIGHLY carbonated. Kind of dry at the finish.
I really like the combination, but it I think it could be done better. It is good though and highly drinkable.

BeerRun13, Oct 28, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Cloudy red pour with a relatively sturdy, bone white head.

Smell is dominated by benzaldehyde, aka maraschino cherries.

Flavor is similar. Very maraschino cherry-y. A bit of tartness, too.

Fairly refreshing, but very strong cherry flavor. Also, too much of this gives me terrible headaches.

nortmand, Oct 24, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +16%

This yields just a small amount of head with spotty lacing at best. However, it does sport an attractive hazy auburn body.

The aromas are firmly rooted in (shock!) Cherry and wheat with the added kick of vanilla.

Surprisingly only slightly cherry flavored with much of the taste focusing on a wheat, cereal taste. I would almost describe the experience of drinking this beer as eating a few cherries, waiting a minute, and then eating a cracker. Strange but not bad.

Nicely carbonated with a (I think) pleasant thickness on the finish. Almost the sensation of swallowing oatmeal.

Despite the refreshing nature of the body, the oatmeal-like sensation doesn’t lend itself to continuous consumption. Two or three tops and you’re done. But then again, as we all respect beer we would never drink more than that anyway, would we…

malcontent, Oct 23, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -1.6%

I had this beer on tap at a local ale house. It pours a medium orange with a thin white head. The smell is very pleasant, although it is obviously fake cherry. It almost has the aroma of a soda pop, with just a hint of wheat.

Unfortunately it almost has a taste of a soda pop too, since the fake cherry overpowers any subtleties the beer may have. It certainly isn't a bad flavor if you're looking for something less beer-like, but if you read this website you probably are looking for a good beer. I realize it's a fruit beer, but even most fruit beers have redeeming beer-like qualities. It also is a little too carbonated, further conveying soft drink over alcoholic beverage.

You can tell there is a good beer hiding somewhere in here, but it is overpowered by the other factors I mentioned. It's in no way bad, but even for a fruit beer it is a bit lacking. If you really like cherry colas with a mild wheat aftertaste, then by all means enjoy. It's worth a try, but having a few in a row won't be as easy.

BBM, Oct 17, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -29.7%

This is a departure for me, but I was at my cousin's wedding and was feeling adventurous. Served from a 12 oz bottle.

A: One-inch head.
S: Strong cherry smell, but chemical cherries.
T: Strong medicinal flavor, like child cough syrup.
MF: The mouthfeel was the best part of this beer. It was smooth and medium bodied.
D: Low. Not impressed at all.

This won't prejudice me in the future. I will stay open.

AChamberlain, Oct 17, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

Normally I don't drink fruit ales, but after passing The Cherry Wheat Ale for several months I gave it a try.

Served at 40 Deg in a pint glass. Light amber color, almost neutral aroma save a very faint aroma of cheeries. The taste was a refreshing blend of a mild wheat ale and fresh cherries. I was surprised on how well balanced this was. Both the middle and finish were smooth, and there was only a moderate aftertaste which led to some subtraction in dinkability points. Not a bad brew if you are into fruit ales.

jpkoch1962, Oct 16, 2006
3.18/5  rDev +1.6%

This is certainly an interesting brew and I gave it a 3.5 in the taste department just for that fact, although, I wouldn't care for another. First off, it looked and smelled great. From the first sip you get blasted with the cherry flavor with a mild wheat taste. But its all about the cherries with this one I guess. What your left with is a candy-like beer that leaves a sugary feeling in your mouth and its somewhat reminiscent of a cough drop / medicine-like cherry taste by the end of your bottle. Interesting, but awkward.

pgenius, Oct 12, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A – Light golden/amber color with a decent 1” head after pouring into a pint glass. The head dissipates slowly and leaves lacing all of the way down the glass.

S – Overly artificial cherry, hard to smell any beer.

T – The first taste I noticed was the cherry, not nearly as overpowering as I would have thought based on the smell. The cherry also does not taste as artificial as it smells. It seemsj to cover up the taste of the beer rather than compliment it. The beer is balanced fairly well, maybe a tad too sweet.

M – A very crisp and smooth beer.

D – Very drinkable despite the sweetness, would drink another…I think I will now…

Poured out of a bottle, into a pint glass. Feb 07’ freshness date.

qmainracing, Oct 12, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +37.4%

This is a great tasting beer. It is sweet and mild with just the right amount of hops in this beer drinker's opinion. It reminds me of the Warrant video "Cherry Pie" for some odd reason. It goes great with cheese, pretzels, and I would imagine dessert. Highly drinkable, highly recommended.

pumarocks, Oct 11, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Cherry Wheat LOOKS great. Other than that, it's a pretty mediocre beer. It pours a nice orange/amber/brown with a good frothy head. That as I suggested, may be the best part. The smell however, is also not too bad. Nothing but pure [carbonated] cherries. Those cherries hit your taste buds pretty immediately, are very sweet, and are very prominent throughout the drink, but you're left with an almost macro after taste. And like macros, it's pretty watery and kind of weak as well. At times it almost doesn't seem like a beer.

At first I didn't think I would be able to drink many of these, however after one and a half or so and my palate getting used to the sweet cherry overload, it's not very hard to drink at all, perhaps that's because it is pretty watery and weak. With that said, it's not a bad a beer to buy at a place that only carries macros, the big imports, Sam Adams and the like, but it definitely leaves something to be desired -- something that reminds you while you're drinking "oh yeah, this is beer I'm drinking".

strangefate, Oct 11, 2006
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)