Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,138 | Hads: 3,688

Has to be the worst fruit beer I've ever had. totally unbalanced. Very tart to begin with but soon over powered by the excessive hop bitterness. I do not like bitter things. It may be a fruit beer for hopheads but I'll be pouring the second bottle down the sink. I don't dislike anyone enough to give it to them.

One thing that I have noticed about this beer living in several different parts of the country is the fact that it often sits on shelves in the mix and match singles area for a good bit of time. I am certain that this affects all beers, but wheat beers in particular.

That being said, I thought I would like the cherry flavor, but it just seems a little off to me.

2.44/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Im suprised Sam Adams came out with this cherry sewer water its very hard to drink and by the 3rd beer you want to stop and just smoke weed the cherry is too strong and i couldn't Finish a 6 pack. Overall I give it a 4/10 and im being generous with that score. just try it for yourself you might like it!!! Thanks guys\\

3.62/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat is one of the first fruitier beers I caught myself liking, and, if you can believe, is still only the second offering I've had by their brewery. At any rate, after a blind pickup in a make-your-own-six-pack, I kinda had to see what their recipe was in terms of making a more unconventional fruity beer, or one that didn't ostensibly rely on grapefruit and citrus undertones.

Appearance: Hazy and gold, with faint orangeness lurking all around. Was surprised at this, for I was expecting something like a copper-red or even a reddish orange. Also leaves an attractive lacing on the top of my class. No arguments here, though.

Smell: Smells almost like Boston Lager, if my senses don't fade me, with whiffs of cherry thrown in for good measure. Liking it so far.

Taste: A fair amount of wheatiness balanced beautifully by a natural cherry flavor, rather than the kind of overpowering, sugary flavor you get when drinking something like a Bud Light Lime Margarita or a headache-inducing alcopop. Blends perfectly to give a taste unlike anything I've had before.

Mouthfeel: Pleasantly wheaty, with the right amount of cherry flavoring - only wish this beer didn't bear a slightly bitter aftertaste, for it vaguely disrupts the palette of otherwise comfortable flavors.

Overall: I have a few other miscellaneous Samuel Adams offerings lurking in my fridge that I can't wait to try, but I really enjoy this beer all around, from its unexpectedly different appearance to the taste it leaves in your mouth after you've finished it.

3.66/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance: Light yellow, a bit of a head.

Smell: Holy cherries! The smell is strong but not obnoxious.

Taste: I was expecting more of a cherry flavor, but it's nice it isn't overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Thick and smooth, very pleasant. Not too much carbonation.

Overall: Pretty nice, would drink again :)

3.77/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a lager glass.

A - Cloudy pale amber. Small head stays a long time. Spotty lacing.

S- Stunning blend of cherry and malt. Should be marketed as an air freshener!

T - Malty, cherry, honey goodness. Bitter finish gets more mellow after 5-7 minutes. Tasty.

M - Medium

O - Very good beer. I wish it had a touch more cherry flavor; but to each his own. Cheers!

3.09/5  rDev -4%

Poured a cloudy golden color with a slight reddish tint and three fingers of fluffy white head that slowly receded to a thin cap of foam leaving moderate lacing down the glass. Quite nice looking. Scents of cherries, a bit of cream, not much else. A simple, fruity aroma. Flavor is rather subdued, but pleasant, beginning with cherry with a faint medicinal hop undertone. In the middle wheat malt graininess joins the profile and hop flavors are grassy and slightly medicinal. Finish is sweet with notes of cherry and low levels of grassy hop bitterness. Aftertaste is grassy hops and grainy malt. A nicely fruity, fairly refreshing wheat beer flavor profile. Mouthfeel is creamy with moderate carbonation and a slight acidity on the finish. Refreshing and quite easy to drink. Overall this is a fairly nice pale wheat with a nice refreshing, fairly simple, flavor profile.

2.64/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

DATE REVIEWED: June 13, 2014... GLASSWARE: Lindemans flute... OCCASION: post-baseball banquet unwinding...APPEARANCE: hazy, cloudy off-yellow body; slight effervescence; nice, thick, somewhat rocky snow white head; reasonable, patterned lacing... AROMA: tart punch of cherries, yes--slightly malty, bready scents underscore the equally understated hops--but mostly, cherries... PALATE: medium-bodied, fizzy, carbonated--not as refreshing as expected, but more body too... TASTE: malt profile disrupts the cherry prominence, as does the honey which forms a funky, unsettled finish...some cardboard notes further damn the experience... OVERALLL: things were going well for this wheat--which is much better than Sam's cherry lambic--until I actually tasted it: a medicinal introduction, a drag of an aftertaste, and not really much to savor in between....

3.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer at first sip taste a little bitter, like cough medicine, but it goes away almost immediately and as one continues to drink it, it tastes smooth and refreshing. I don't think it is a beer that will appeal to everyone since one has to get used to the taste, but it is a good beer overall, and although it is not a style that I purchase too often, I do buy the "cherry wheat" every once in a while for a different taste.

3.96/5  rDev +23%

The obvious and must abundant ingredient it the Cherry flavoring. I enjoy a little bit of fruity taste in beers. After my initial taste I could also detect a small trace of honey in the recipe that really made for a smooth blend that was light and crisp.

3.42/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cherry Wheat is in my top ten of Samuel Adams brews. Has good flavor, not over-powering. Great wheat flavor. Not too filling. Has decent cherry aroma, with slight wheat aroma. Too low of alcohol content for me. When I have a beer, I like some what of a kick. Cherry Wheat did not have much of one. To sum it up, I'll probably drink it again if offered, but not too often or any time in the near future.

3.26/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A decent tasting wheat. Very refreshing. You can definitely taste the cherry but it over powers the wheat flavor just a hair to much for me. Little to no head. Has a very good smell, you can really smell the cherry. A solid wheat beer but not my favorite of the style either. Would be great on a warm day.

4.35/5  rDev +35.1%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy, mostly yellow with a pinch of orange, nice white head with really good lacing, nice carbonation.

Smell: extremely fruity, like plums , apples, and cherries

Taste: Plums, Peaches, cherries. How can it taste so fruity? It's awesome, but unbelievable. However, where's the hops? ? Can hops taste like this? Cause this is too weird for hops to taste like, even though it's really good.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, bubbly, perfect.

overall: Extremely unique, definitely a session beer, delicious, but would like to taste more malt.

2.8/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Cloudy burnt peach colored body, fizzy eggshell colored head that only leaves a ring, no lacing or film on top.

Aroma: Cherries definitely come through nicely, faint malts.

Taste: Immediate cherry sweetness and tartness, grainy cereal notes fill out the palate. A pretty sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a lot of bright carbonation, not very smooth.

Overall: It tastes like a cherry wheat beer. The cherry component is really spot-on, the rest of the beer is rough around the edges.

2.94/5  rDev -8.7%

12 oz. bottle, with the label notched at best before June 2014. Another new beer to me from Samuel Adams, acquired as part of a mixed six pack at the local Binny's. Expectations are average to below average based on this beer's current ratings.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a nice bright golden yellow-orange color with just over a finger of fluffy sudsy white head. Some scattered fluffy lacing. Looks very nice; I was expecting a much darker beer.

S - A touch of graininess / wheat is noticeable on the end, but the nose is mostly all artificial medicinal lollipop black cherry. It's really quite hard for me to pull out anything aside from that. Slightly musty. It's a fairly unpleasant aroma, but something keeps drawing me back to it. It seriously smells almost like a can of cheap black cherry soda.

T - The taste is quite an improvement from the nose, but it's still pretty bland. Again, the light grainy wheat presence is pleasant, but the artificial medicinal cherry is overpowering. Coarse, with an almost cinnamon like heat on the finish.

M - Coarse, dry, soda-like carbonation. Lightly grainy and wheat. Mildly sticky finish. Light-bodied, slightly high carbonation.

Overall, the cherry is clearly not very authentic in the least, and it's safe to say that it ruins what would probably be a fine wheat beer without it. One of my least favorite beers from Samuel Adams, not one I will be having again.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat ---3/5.

3.91/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Sampled last night on 3/7/14 but had this once before back in 2012. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner flute galss.

Pours a light golden hazy amber in color with a good 2-finger white head that settles down to a thin layer on top. Some spotty lacing was seen with each sip.. When first opened, the smell of cherries and wheat hits you right in the face, or actually nose. The taste doesn't live up quite to the aroma but is very pleasant overall. Smooth to drink with no bitter aftertaste.

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Pours out with a small white head. You can tell it's a non filtered brew. The Color is a dark amber. Smell right off the bat is Cherry. There is really nothing else to it I can't smell anything else. The taste is also cherry nothing more than that. Not much else to say but CHERRY. If you like cherry you may like this brew. This brew is not for me. It looks good but the taste is too much.

2.99/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Blech. Fruit beers just aren't for me. However, my husband loves the crap out of this beer. To me, this tastes like a mix of bad cherry candy or cough medicine, mixed with a decent wheat beer. If the cherry flavor was a bit more subtle, I think I'd like it a lot better.

3.56/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a bottle with a clear golden color and a nice white foam head. Aroma is distinctly cherry. The mix of wheat and cherry makes for an enjoyable flavor. I’ve had some beers where the fruity flavor ruins it, but there’s just the right balance of cherry and wheat beer in this brew.

3.71/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass

Appearance: Cloudy orange with a lot of carbonation. Very white colored head about 1 finger high.

Smell: Strong maraschino cherry, nothing else.

Taste: Strong cherry taste. Very little body although it does have a slight wheat beer aftertaste.

Mouth: Very refreshing.

Overall: Not bad, would definitely enjoy again.

2.72/5  rDev -15.5%

I was disappointed with the appearance. Was hoping for at least a reddish tint. The smell was redeeming, smell of natural cherry. Taste is a nice cherry at first but the wheat takes over and is overpowering. Mouthfeel is great. Perfect amount of carbonation. Not a fan, would not recommend.

3.98/5  rDev +23.6%

I really really really enjoy this! I like the smell and the taste. It tastes so much like cherries! Its great for a dessert beer, but I feel I could drink this as soda every night for dinner.

If you don't like cherries and still want to give this a try... Don't.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance: A light golden color, filtered, short white head that dissipates almost as fast as it appears. No lacing left behind

Smell: Strong cherry smell up front, then a nice wheat background

Taste: Cherry, wheat, with a dry finish. The flavor is much more balanced and not overwhelmingly cherry like I remember having it previous times

Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation

Overall: A good dessert beer. The wheat character isn't quite what I would like, but it overall is still pretty good. Would also prefer if it was unfiltered, maybe more like a cherry hefeweizen.

4.24/5  rDev +31.7%

I was never a beer drinker until my boyfriend introduced me to Cherry Wheat. This is the best beer I've ever tasted! I would say that compared to other beers that this has a very smooth taste with subtle hints of summer and an introduction to fall all mixed into one. It smells fruity but still has that distinctive smell of beer with the presence of hops giving it a rustic feel. I am now hooked on Sam Adams! Shame on me for not getting more interested in beer in college!

3.71/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Brought by friends on Novemer 3rd, 2013. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Nonic, served cool.

Appearance: Hazy Honey amber with a froth 1 finger offwhite head.

Aroma: Cherries, wheat.

Mouthfeel: solid medium, decent carbonation.

Taste: Cherry flavor is not overdone nor is it artificial. Wheat thickness with a black cherry top.

overall: not something I would choose on my own but not a bad beer.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)