Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,615 | Reviews: 1,163
3.31/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not being a fruit beer lover, maybe I am not giving it a chance. Fair flavor but too much cherry, not enough wheat.

4.4/5  rDev +40.1%

Nice cherry flavor, hops and pilsner upfront with a nice mellow cherry sweetness in the back, not cloyingly sweet; just right.

4.09/5  rDev +30.3%

This is by far my favorite Sam Adams varietal. Look is an expected unfiltered wheat. The cherry essence is very prevalent in the aroma; it entices you to the best part, the taste!
The blend of cherry and wheat beer is a perfect balance when you're looking for a good, honest, fruit-forward beer.

4.15/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Great in the summer. Mixed with Guinness is a fun mix up.

3.93/5  rDev +25.2%

An obvious classic. Any time of year, any food pairing. Pairs well with Cosmic Fog Milk and Honey ejuice. Pleasant aroma heavy of cherry , thick creamy white head that dissipates quickly. The viscosity is a bit thick with a hint of carbonation. The artificial cherry flavor stings your tounge slightly but the hoppy wheat like flavor kind of balances it out . An easy drinker . Great beer overall.

4.32/5  rDev +37.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Best of the Samuel Adams brand. I don't like fruit in my beer, but I love beer and I love cherries. I love this beer.

3.54/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ahhh... Sam Cherry Wheat... a guilty pleasure of mine for years. As a more refined beer drinker, I'm not supposed to like this... but I do. Perhaps since it is brewed with MI cherries and I am a son of the mitten state. Maybe because it brings me back to my youth, with cherry cough syrup nostalgia. Or possibly because it's just a unique and flavorful beer experience that conjures fond memories. Poured in to a tulip glass, it fills with a hazy, golden honey color and one inch of white froth. The head dissipated quickly, leaving only a thin ring atop the nectar-like liquid. Maraschino cherries and honey sweetness in the nose. A touch of cereal grain and subtle noble hop character. There is certainly ample cherry flavor that brings a medicinal quality, but it is washed away in the finish with a wheat thin like aftertaste. The hops brighten the beer with only a hint of bitterness. The mouthfeel is average, but suits the brew well. It is deliciously drinkable for such a polarizing concoction. This is sure to turn some people off with its cherry lozenge likeness, but to others it's a perfect pleasure that can be savored on occasion. I typically crush these pretty quickly, so maybe savor is the wrong word. Maybe I drink them fast because it has a relatively tame ABV and it's refreshing. Or possibly because I want to hide the evidence as quickly as possible. Either way, I will continue to enjoy these from time to time.

2.06/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Great first sip. After that it really tastes like cough syrup

3.24/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Anyone that buys a beer that has a fruit in it's name and then complains it just plain ignorant. The label tells you exactly what you're going to taste and for what it is, it's darn good.

I didn't realize they were doing a collaborations with robitussin. Could not finish it. Gave it to a guy I didn't like.

My favorite Sam Adams. A friend in Michigan told me about this years before I could find it here in the South and it did not disappoint. This a beer for people who say they don't like beer and a nice dessert for beer lovers. It smells as sweet as it tastes but is amazingly fresh! And the sweetness doesn't taste artificial but genuinely seems to come from the cherries.

1.5/5  rDev -52.2%

Tastes like Sam Adams with Cherry cough syrup poured in it. Not for me.

3.92/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Surprisingly intense cherry flavor and aroma, but still pretty good.

1.25/5  rDev -60.2%

Tasted like cherry cough medicine. Absolutely horrendous.

3.1/5  rDev -1.3%

I liked the cherry aroma and taste. The rest of this beer was very average. Pours a clear dark gold color with a small white head. Average head retention and no lacing.

Sweet cherry aroma and some sweet cherry in the taste. The rest of the flavor comes from a pretty bland, slightly malty beer.

Mouthfeel is average richness but not much else. IT goes down easy enough but there is not enough here except the cherry flavor. Sub-par.

2.39/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I like Sam Adams and have had many beers from them, and I tried this with high expectation as wheat beers are one of my favorite styles and bought a six pack. Smell is cherry cough drops almost and sugary with a little hop and yeast smell. Color is light red maybe almost a darker pink. Head disappears quickly to almost nothing but with lacing. The taste is light medium feel and a sugary artificial cherry flavor to a little bit of hops and then the wheat beer comes through. I forced finished one and later on could not finish the second because the flavor just became unpleasant and ended up dumping the rest.

3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

Actually like this one unlike many others. The smell and taste is a sweet cherry flavor.

3.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy gold/straw with a one-finger white head that shows good retention. Lacing is heavy. Carbonation seems above average. Pretty nice looking beer.

Aroma: Cherries, cherries, cherries. The cherry smell really dominates the nose. It's a tiny bit like cough medicine. I was hoping it'd smell like pie, but it's not totally off-putting.

Taste: Lots more cherries. The wheat flavor is buried under a mountain of cherries; I'm not sure I'd know it was wheat-based beer if I drank it blind. It's not bad, but it's slightly medicinal, like the aroma that preceded it.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin. Probably should be thin, but I still like a little more body in a wheat beer.

Overall: Like most fruit beers, it's OK as a weird change of pace. Curious if you could cook with it - desserts, maybe. Otherwise passable.

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

Now keep in mind, I've only drank this warm when I was 17 and we took some from a parent...

4.25/5  rDev +35.4%

Nice smooth taste that you would expect from Samuel Adams with a heavy Cherry finish very sweet ... good dessert beer.

1.75/5  rDev -44.3%

Ugh. Undrinkable on its own, it really shines when paired with a Guinness or Young's Chocolate stout in a half n half. Try it, you may be surprised. Never drink it alone though. That's a recipe for sadness.

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

had this beer 2 years ago.. its good for a sam adams..

3.8/5  rDev +21%

Of all the wheats I have tried, this one is the only one I'd actually buy a 6-pack of in the summertime. Maybe it's because I like cherries so much, I don't know. But this one was quite enjoyable.

Exceptional wheat beer brewed with cherries. A favorite of mine during the summer months.

3.86/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Strong cherry candy aroma. Good but not great.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)