Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,125 | Hads: 3,631
4.04/5  rDev +24.7%

This is my first review and also the 1st fruit/vegetable beer I've tried. One of my friends told me how much he liked fruit/vegetable beers so when I saw this at my grocery store I had to give it a try. It poured a nice golden color with a small white head. First thing I noticed was the smell of cherries. I wasn't sure what a fruit beer should taste like, but the sweet taste of cherries was very pleasant. There was a slightly bitter aftertaste but an overall smooth finish. This was very different than any other beer that I have tried, but it was a good different. I don't think this will be my favorite style, but it was a welcome change and I thoroughly enjoyed it. (672 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

This one came in a Brewmaster’s Collection 12 oz. brown bottle with a freshness date of July 2005. The beer poured deep clear golden with a frothy two-inch thick head, and spirited latent carbonation. The aroma was dominated by very ripe cherries and bready to yeasty wheat malt. Cherry flavor was again prominent in the taste, although the beer was not very sweet at all. There was also a lemony yeastiness typical of American Wheat beers. No fruity esters evident in this one, and it’s a shame, because cherries and bananas go so well together. A bit thicker on the tongue than a typical wheat due to the syrupy fruit juice present in the brew. I am not a big fan of fruit beers, but this one is one of the better ones. (723 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Formed minimal head that dissipated rather quickly. The smell of cherries is definitely the first thing that was noticed. Cherry taste seems a bit artificial and a little forced but the overall taste is good. Mouthfeel is ok. A little bitterness at the finish detracts from the overall rating. One or two of these beers is ok in one sitting but more than that and the taste is a bit repetitive. A pretty good beer overall. (448 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

I really don't get the reviews that say the cherry smell and/or taste is overpowering. I love it. But then, I love fruit beers, and this is not only one of my favorite fruit beers, it's one of the few beers I'd actually call a session beer for myself. This is a sweetish, light, refreshing brew that goes well with nearly any type of food, or is great all by itself. If you don't like fruity beers, or if you're a hophead, pass on this one.

(Edited, Jan. '07. I've lowered the rating somewhat, as I've broadened my horizons. Still a beer I like a lot, but not as high on my list as it once was.) (598 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a weizen beer glass. Think and fluffy snow white head that left some lacing. . Beer was a pale yellow in color. Not quite as light as a Pilsner.

Smell was sweet-tart cherries up front. Sublte malt and hops behind this strong and pleasant fruit smell.

The beer is overflowing with cherry flavor all throughout. The lable says made with real cherries and cherry flavor some malt (faint) and some floral hoppiness. Perhaps they went a little overboard on the cherries? It has a nice tart crisp finish to every sip that is actually rather refreshing.

The beer is not half bad. Not one of my favorite styles and perhaps not the best beer to enjoy in winter. But, I might enjoy it more throughout the Spring and Summer months. (758 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

After having the Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic, I had my doubts about even trying this beer. But I figured what the hell..

Appearance: Pours a hazy, golden-orange color..plenty of sediment floating around as well, which kind of surprised me from this brew. Decent head but dissapates rather quickly. Does leave decent sheeting on the glass, though.

Smell: Very tart cherry smell up front with the wheat malt hiding in the background. Medicinal (think cherry cough drop) aroma.

Taste: Overwhelming medicinal cherry taste (imagine that). A little over the top, but forgiven considering it is a fruit beer. Wheat taste is definitely apparent here as well as the malts make a pretty strong showing. Finishes with lingering sweetness of cherry and light malts.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, clean mouthfeel. Medium-bodied, good carbonation.

Drinkability: Much better than Sam Adam's Cranberry Lambic (which isn't saying much). This is actually a decent fruit beer. I'm not a huge lover of the style in general, so I probably wouldn't have more than a couple of these things in succession..but if you like fruit beers, this is a must try. Respectable and solid offering from Sam Adams. (1,181 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a medium copper color with a 2 finger head and very nice lace. Smell of some wheat malt but mostly sweet marachino cherries. Taste is OK, some wheat malt flavor and a nice bitter ending but in the middle is what I think is too much cherry. If the cherry flavor was either less sweet or toned down a bit it would be much better. Finishes dry and leaves a cherryness in your mouth. Not super drinkable - maybe on a warm summers day its better. (447 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +28.1%

I've always thought of Sam Adams as a a sort of "starter" beer. None of their brews are bland by any means, but none are truly challenging either, if you know what I mean. I'm probably making that sound like a downfall, but in truth that's not always the case. Sometimes you want something that tastes plain good, but nothing you have to think about. Most of the Sam Adams line fits that bill perfectly for me.

This particular brew I happen to enjoy quite a bit. It pours a medium golden with a medium white head. The nose is particularly good, smelling very strong of cherries and maybe a little of the wheat character as well. The first sip is very nice, clean and crisp and with a strong cherry wallop followed quickly by the tart nature of cherries along with the wheat and a nice balanced almost lager-like quality. It is very very good. The aftertaste is smooth with more of the same tones present on first sip. Mouthfeel is nice and well balanced with a sort of dry character to it. Carbonation is definatly present in a healthy dose which adds to the pleasant tone of the brew. I should note though that the cherry taste is a bit overdone, which isn't really apparent until the brew warms a bit. After warming it has a slight artifical taste to it, not horrible, but still present. When cold though I think that part of it is masked a bit. This one I'm sure won't find any love with the hopheads or those who don't like sweet beers, because this one definatly sits squarely in that category.

Overall a very nice brew, in particular it will probably one I will enjoy fairly often, especially in the warmer months.

Uncle Hamish says: "Blooie' 'ell lad, whut are ye feedin' me now? Sweet tart wa'er?" (1,714 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +20.7%

pours a slightly cloudy somewhat amber color. the head is somewhat small but a little thin layer lingers around for a while and does lace a little.
smell is pretty dang good. smells like cherries and more cherries. and maybe a little malt but mostly cherries.
more flavors are noticable than scents. i can definitly taste cherry and malt. there's a hint of wheat and a small hint of hops noticed at the rear. pretty good.
mouthfeel isn't bad but isn't spectacular, a little above average. the carbonation level fits the beer nicely.
as far as drinkability goes, i could drink quite a few but could see myself getting tired of cherries eventually. (651 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a 16oz. unfrosted mug. To my surprise this beer poured a think and fluffy snow white head. Wasn't expected that much head from a bottle. Beer was a dark yellow in color. Not as light as a Pilsner but not as dark as an APA.

Smell was cherries to the extreme right up front. Sublte malt and hops behind this innitial fruit smell, but the cherries by far won battle for smell.

So too did they win the battle for taste. The beer is overflowing with cherry flavor all throughout. The lable says made with real cherries and cherry flavor. Perhaps they went a little overboard on one or both of those. I've only had one other fruit beer from SA and that is there cranberry. My complaint with that beer was that there was no bite or crispness to the end of this. The Cherry Wheat addresses and solves that problem. One very nice thing is that it has a nice tart crisp finish to every sip that is actually rather enjoyable.

The beer is all in all not too bad. Not one of my favorite styles and perhaps not the best beer to enjoy in January. But, that being said, this is something I could see my self getting on occasion throughout the Spring and Summer months. It would seem to hit the spot in that setting.

Nothing special here, but a decent enough brew. (1,287 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice golden amber with an inch of creamy white head that left minor lacing.

Smelled slightly of wheat but much more strongly of Sweet Marachino Cherries.

Initially the taste comes of as a very dry wheat flavor with some cherry flavor coming through, still a nice slight bit of hops at the end. Not nearly as much cherry flavor as I remember in drinking this in the past, much more of a nice crisp amber beer flavor coming through.

Mouthfeel is rather thin and slightly slick feeling.

Overall not to bad for a fruit beer. (542 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +19.1%

I've had this sitting in my fridge for quite a while, so I figured I would get it over with before it too old. It wasn't all that bad, but I couldn't imagine drinking more than one even though it is fairly low ABV and very refreshing. The cherry taste is just too overwhelming for those of us who crave hops but enjoy a good wheat from time to time.

The beer poured to a very clean golden color with minimal white head that faded to nothing within a minute or two. The smell was great, like fresh cherries. No malty aroma, just cherries.

The taste was the same as the smell. Cherries. The finish? Cherries. They really did an excellent job of bringing out the cherry flavor and smell, but I would have liked to have a hint of beer in there as well.

The mouthfeel was a light swill. I won't be buying more of this, but incidentally, I got my BMC-drinking, scared-to-dip-his-foot-in-the-water-of-real-beer friend hooked on this stuff. I might drink some of his if I didn't bring my own beer, but I would most likely bring my own before resorting to this for a session. (1,075 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -8%

My parents picked this up for me while on vacation in Northern Michigan (the cherry capital of the universe). I have to give my parents credit for picking up some craft beer even if it might not be my favorite. So here we go....

Presentation: Best before 2/05 notched on the side of the bottle. Yeah, ok, fine...

Appearance: Pours a pale clear copper with a sticky, fluffy ivory head.

Smell: Smells like tart cherry juice.

Taste: Taste is cherries up front with a wheaty and biscuity base. The cherries definitely dominate but there is some crispness provided by the wheat base.

Mouthfeel: Medium and slightly creamy. Definitley a full taste.

Drinkability: A highly quaffable brew. I can see this as more of a spring or fall, sitting on the deck kind of a beer.

Interesting and I probably won't be back but props to my parents for this one!! (864 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Medium amber color that is clear with a very small white head. Aroma full of cherries and almond extract. Sweet and tasty black cherry flavor. Finishes dry and clean still lingering with cherries.

If you like cherries, you'll probably like this, but I can't really imagine myself drinking this regularly or with any sort of meal except for desert. (350 characters)

The bastard son of a wheat beer and froot loops. This beer has been in my fridge for a long time. My girlfriend picked up a 6er a long time ago and they have just sat there. I had one after a night of drinking Maredsous 10 and I thought it was more akin to snorting Pixie sticks than having a beer. Never come close to this beer unless you are firm in your opinion that you want a fruit beer. It isn't one of the best beers of had, but compared to the competitors in this genre it ain't too bad. (495 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear, light amber color with a large, rocky white head. Pronounced cherry smell along with wheat malt. The cherry flavor is not as strong as in many fruit beers, but the flavor is off. It reminds me of cherry flavored cough drops. I could not detect any hops. I’m not a big fan of the cherry flavor, but it could have been worse. (339 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

A solid beer paired with Thanksgiving dinner. Poured a dark gold color with a medium head that retained itself well. Smell of dark cherries permeates the first whiff of this beer. Tasted somewhat sweet, with a prevalent cherry flavor that comes out immediately and stays with the tongue after swallowing. This beer did not have the residual bitterness noted in other beers of the same type - in other words, this to me seemed more on the lager than on the ale side. One could easily order another one of these after the first. Very easy to drink and enjoy. (556 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -25.6%

This beer is the eeriest copper with weird pink tones that give it a hazy appearance even though its decidedly not a victim of protein haze and so on. Keeps a decent head, but that color just weirds me out.

Smell of the most digusting scent of fake Maraschino cherry juice. Overly saccharine and truly cloying, made me want to gag. This was overpowering that it bled into the flavor, tainting the wheat base that didn't taste wheat-like in the first place. Cherries were more than a bit light in the flavor department, somehow...

The surprise was the nicely rounded mouthfeel, an afterthought to the scent. Its hard to critically speak about this beer - the scent was gagging and the flavor was wholly lacking. Just poor beer passing a fruit cocktail for those who don't like beer - the exact reason why my friends had bought it. (836 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +2.5%

Too sweet and fruity for me, but my girlfriend likes it. The aroma is of cherries. Which also comes through in the flavor. The cherry is so strong that it overpowers any hope of tasting hops. The beer poured out of the bottle oale gold in color with hardly any head. A good beer to share as a novelty, but I am not overly fond. (327 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +29.6%

This is a favorite of mine that goes way back to when I first discovered good beer. It looks like a traditional wheat beer, but has a reddish tint and has little or no head. The smell of cherries invites you to drink this wonderful brew. The taste is also of cherries and a nice balance of wheat malt and just a tinge of hops. I am not usually fond of fruit beers, but this beer keeps me coming back for more. It is definitely drinkable. (437 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -30.9%

My wife really enjoys this beer so I had to try it.

Serverd from a bottle, pours a nice lightly cloudy, amber color. Small head, laced glass nicely. Smells very strongly of sweet cherries, very nice... I just don't care for the taste, to me, although the cherry flavor is very evident, the hops overwhelm the beer. Mourhfeel is poor, the carbonation is too coating for me..

Don't let me turn you off from this beer, my wife ( a beer neophyte) loves it, but its just not to my liking. (490 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer pours a copper colour into the glass. It has a big white foamy head, that are long lasting. The smell is strong of cherries. It has an artificial smell too. The charry taste isn't as strong as the smell. It also has a wheaty malt taste. I find the body to think for my liking. Well, this wasn't my favourite beer. But it was worth trying. (348 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -16.4%

Presentation: Dark Brown Bottle, gold Label

Pour:A nice gold color with decent carbonation. About an inch head which reduces to lacing.

Smell: Deffinatly smell the cherry flavoring. Excellent.

Taste: Cherry flavor comes through well, but not too sweat and deffiantly not heavy.

Drinkability: could drink these quick... but why would you want to?

Cheers!! (369 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%

This beer pours a light amber color with a white head that sits about a 1/4". It's a decent looking beer. The smell is good. It smells predominately of cherries. The taste is wheat-like on the tip of your tongue and as it coats your mouth, a strong cherry flavor takes over. Strong cherry aftertaste. Average mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. Its an alright beer but nothing special. I'm not big on cherry flavored beers unless its a lambic or something of the sorts. Maybe just not this one. Try it if you think this might be down your alley. (540 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured a clear amber-gold with a 1/2 inch head that retained fairly well. Aroma was noticeable upon popping the cap, as a soda-like cherry aroma first presented itself. Upon further aromatic detction however i found the aroma to contain a bit of wheat like malt and a lot of artificial smelling cherry. The flavor is a lot better than the aroma as the cherry flavor is a lot more subdued than the aroma might let on. The flavor begins with a tight melding of cherry, carbonic bite, and dry wheaty malt. It soon segues into just malt and leaves a cereal taste almost like cheerios to linger in the mouth. The body is way too light and this beer could use a little higher mash temperature. The drinkability is quite subjective and personally i would go for an Apricot ale from Pyramid instead of another cherry wheat as it is a bit too soda-like and is definetly a beer for those who don't like beer but like alcopops. (916 characters)

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)