Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001)
View: Beers (128) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
uconn126

12-28-2012 18:22:25 | More by VaTarheel
flagmantho

Washington

4.47/5  rDev +42.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. In full disclosure, I will confess that I love cherries in general and cherry beer usuall receives high marks from me.

Appearance: hazy golden-orange color with some small floaties in it. Two-finger ivory head dissipated somewhat quickly but left an attractive lace.

Smell: mostly cherries but a hint of citrusy wheat aroma comes through. The cherries are nice and present but not overdone; I like it.

Taste: nice cherry flavor; there's also a nice rather dry bite toward the end as the fruit yields to the wheat. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a nice, well-integrated carbonation which yields a nice creamy texture. Great!

Drinkability: I enjoy this beer a great deal and could drink sixer after sixer of it.

11-17-2009 02:43:50 | More by flagmantho
casualbeerman

4.47/5  rDev +42.8%

I picked up a sixpack of this for the holidays. When I read the label I was really excited. I could try a wheat beer from a company I know makes decent products from high quality ingredients. I had a really good experience with the first wheat beer I tried (Blue Moon Belgian White), and it had cherry in it to boot. It sounded perfect. When I actually tried it I was kind of disappointed. This may be made with wheat, but it is definately no Belgian style White. It was almost as heavy and bitter as Regular Sam Adams Lager. Anyway, since I haven't poured one out of the bottle yet, I rated the appearance at 3. I'm sure it is probably a decent looking brew, but until I know for sure its rating will be in the middle. When I do get around to pouring one in a glass I'll edit this review. Smell is pleasant, with some fairly strong but very clean malt, and of course cherries. Taste disappointed me at first since I was expecting the cherry against a background of light citrusy wheat beer instead of the rather heavier malt flavor strong enough to be typical of the regular Sam Adams Boston Lager. Still, on repeat samplings, the cherry blends nicely with the richer sweetness of the malted wheat. It's pleasant with rather weaker hop presence than either regular Sam Adams Boston Lager, or Sam Adams Light either. (This beer pluse those two represent my entire sampling of Boston Beer Co's products at this time) Like you'd expect from this company, even the relatively bland hops in this beer are still high quality. They fit the beer and they bring only good things to it, even though the cherries really main contributors to the flavor aside from the malt. Mouthfeel is very pleasant being a bit lighter than regular Sam, very similar to Saranac Lager. Drinkability is excellent. It gets a tiny bit thick towards the end, but its thirst quenching, easier to drink than regular Sam Adams, and seems to be improve the more I sample it. And it also seems to pair well with almost anything. I've had 3 different beers with pizza, chips and dip, and buffalo wings and each time it went great with the food. In conclusion, this very pleasant and fairly unique brew that's definately worth a try.

01-01-2006 05:49:11 | More by casualbeerman
beernut7

4.47/5  rDev +42.8%

This is tasty lighter brew with more than a hint of the fruit within. I found it to be very popular among the not-into-beer crowd. Goes down easy on a hot summer night.

06-25-2002 11:34:12 | More by beernut7
MiScusi

4.45/5  rDev +42.2%

Enjoy before date notched at September 07.

A- The appearance is a burnt orange, almost a dull brown. Very nice clarity. An eggshell white fluffy thick head forms, but dissipates relatively fast and settles to a long standing soap sudsy cap.

S- The smell predominately contains sweet cherries. Doesn't seem too complex.

T- has a sort of pale malt/alcohol backing I find in other Sam Adams beers, with some sweet cherry thrown in. I was cautious of a "medicinal" cherry taste as I've heard others describe in this beer, but I find the cherry to be pretty pleasant and easily drinkable. The sweet cherry gives way to a mildly tart finish.

M- A nice mouthfeel, I assume contributed by the wheat, because some of the other sam adams beers I find a little harsh on the tongue with carbonation. This is just lively enough to accompany the added body given by the wheat (though still fairly light in body).

D- No problem drinking this one, and I could see myself sessioning this a bit as well, though the cherry might be overwhelming after a couple.

05-21-2007 22:25:50 | More by MiScusi
buschbeer

4.43/5  rDev +41.5%

I poured into a pint glass to a half inch of head. It is golden and clear. It smells like maricino cherries. It has a sweet cherry taste with a solid wheat backbone. It is a great beer for enjoying after a day of weeding the garden. It really hits the spot.

07-06-2009 02:14:24 | More by buschbeer
thelagerheads

4.43/5  rDev +41.5%

"Tastes like cough syrup." - Trüb

But I say cherry cherry in your tree/jump down on the ground and make a pie with me. All right so those are obscure lyrics but this is a serious fruit beer. A wild dose of cherry extract and a toastiness that conjures up the taste of those cherry cordial cakes that come in a box of eight for $1.50. You may have foolhardy tastebuds and think otherwise and that is your right as an Orangutan-American just don't get all persnickety with me when I tell you that this is a top shelf cosmo-brew. Space helmet not included.

07-27-2006 22:00:22 | More by thelagerheads
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)