Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,615 | Reviews: 1,163
4.14/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

When I opened this, I was amazed at just how much this beer smelled like sweet cherries. Honestly, it was like grenadine. As it opened up, a more tart aspect appeared, but it was still a fairly sweet nose.

Poured a cloudy, amber color in the glass with a fair head.

The taste was not quite as powerful. The dominant taste is indeed cherries. Again though, the taste is of a fairly sweet maraschino cherry character. I am not sure why I expected more of a tart flavor, but this one does not meet that expectation. This flavor is the body of the beer, with a small bit of wheat on the finish. Hops don't really play a role in this one.

Honestly, it tastes a lot like a basic lager with cherry juice in it. Not that it is a bad thing, though. It is pretty tasty, even if it is rather simple. It gets my stamp of approval.

4.13/5  rDev +31.5%

Poured from a 12 oz glass with November 2007 best-by date. Poured into a hefeweizen glass. Slightly hazy golden color with a foamy white head. Looks picture-perfect. Great retention. Smells of sweet cherries and honey. Flavors of the cherries, wheat, touch of honey. Not too complex, but still nice and clean to drink. Light-bodied mouthfeel. Very easily drinkable. Great summer beer.

4.13/5  rDev +31.5%

I've had this beer several times, but I tend to slack on my reviews so I'm finally getting to this one.

Pours well with nice retention and lace, something that is a common characteristic of the Boston Beer varieties.Although refreshing, I taste cherry syrup, but the draft versions seems to be a bit more natural tasting.I think it would be more interseting if this beer was bottle conditioned and had traditional wheat characteristics.Maybe I'll try a homebrew and do it that way.

A decent, balanced beer overall.

4.13/5  rDev +31.5%

It's a candy! It's a beer! It's a CANDY BEER! As George Washington fictitiously said, "I cannot tell a lie, it was I who cut down the cherry beer tree." Pours cloudy light red amber with cherry lollipop smell and you can immediately tell there is artificial flavor here, but what the hell. Wheat meets a candy treat in Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

*Quench your sweet tooth.*

4.12/5  rDev +31.2%

This one pours a dark yellow with a tall white head that fades quickly. The smell is very strong, mostly cherries with some sweet notes. The taste is very similar, very sweet and strong, the cherries dominate this beer. Not much else comes out in this beer it is one dimentional but if you like that aspect you are set. I see this beer as a love it or hate it. I happen to love it, it is an easy drinker with a smooth crisp mouthfeel. Even though the cherry taste is strong it doesn't get annoying for me. As far as fruit beers, this is my favorite. I hope you like it as much as I do. Enjoy!

4.12/5  rDev +31.2%

Pours a hazy, lazy yellow with a small bubbly head, no retention and minimal lacing, barely even a crown on the glass.

Nose is sweet, bright cherries. The label says this is brewed with cherries and cherry flavor added, so some of the nose may be artificial.

Taste is smooth and easy, pleasant cherry taste and not anywhere near as sweet as it smells. Decent malt balance, a touch of yeast, and slightly more than average carbonation make this a genuine entry for a fruit flavored beer instead of just dumping in some fruit juice at the end and calling it so. A good beer to have with dessert and a fine session brew for the fall or spring.

4.12/5  rDev +31.2%

Pours pale amber in color with plenty of bubbles throughout. Has a big foamy white head that settles to a thin coating after a while.

The cherries practically jump out of the glass. It's really all I can smell with the exception of some light wheat malt and lots of sweetness. It's actually a very pleasant and inviting aroma.

The cherries are again in the forefront when you first taste it and are the predominant flavor throughout. There is also some some bready notes that give it almost a cherry muffin quality.

It's a light to medium body beer with a little sharpness from the carbonation. It has a very crisp and clean finish.

This beer is highly drinkable. Very refreshing and easy to drink. I remember the first time I had it, the flavors were off putting, but that was probably ten years ago when I was just getting into craft beer. I remember having it again at a beer dinner with some cherry cheesecake about 5 years ago and how well it went with the dessert. I haven't had it since and this time around I like it very much.

4.12/5  rDev +31.2%

Another beer leftover from my canoe trip. Those poor guys didn't get a chance to try some craft brew. Second out of my cooler is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I was looking forward to this one.

Appearance is good. A nice head that lingers for a while.

Smell is one of the best I've sampled. A strong cherry aroma.

Taste is good. The cherry flavor is out front and almost overpowers the other ingredients. Gives a slight cherry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good. Feels like a good beer.

This is my first fruit beer I've ever tasted. I could enjoy a few of these.This beer is good, but I still have this sense that there may be a few too many cherries in the brew.

4.12/5  rDev +31.2%

This beer is pretty fruity, but is still really good! It seems like a great summer beer, something I would like to drink while just relaxing. Obviously it's not the most manly of beverages, but another great beer from Sam Adams in my opinion; in fact one of their best seasonal beers

4.11/5  rDev +30.9%

Pours from the bottle amber yellow with sweet Cherry and Wheat smell. Has a very nice fruit cherry flavor not to sweet. Feels good in your mouth refreshing mild. Can't drink to many gets a littel sweet but is very drinkable for having two or three! I do not like real fruity Beers that much but I like this one all the way will get it again.
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Its Food-!

4.1/5  rDev +30.6%

A: Golden/orange color, with about a half finger of head when poured. lace sticks around for a little while but eventually fizzles away

S: Traverse City cherries, oh yeah the good stuff. No hoppy smells here.. little sweet malt smell

T: Crisp and refreshing, sweet cherry bite with lots of cherry flavor with a medium amount of carbonation here.. cherry bready taste and feel at the end.. finishes smooth to me.

M: Refreshing.. Not too strong but just right. cleans right off the pallet with little lingering flavor..

Overall a great beer. Drink it year round if im not in the mood for a sam boston or a wild craft choice.. Easy to find wherever you are if your in a pinch and want something out of the ordinary.

4.1/5  rDev +30.6%

Don't know what it is but I really enjoy this beer. It is very refreshing with a nice blast of cherry but not overwhelming. It is a great summer/fall beer. Has a nice wheat/ale underlying taste. Not like a regular wheat beer but a definite light taste. Would go great with the right meal.

4.1/5  rDev +30.6%

A- Poured into a weizen glass, resulting in a nice thick 1 finger head that remained for quite a while, but slowly recedes into a thin cap. The beer is slightly cloudy with only the lightest bit of sediment.

S- Huge fresh cherries on this one. I was expecting a fake puree smell, but have to say, this was pretty fresh to me. I also get on the tail end of the nose a light wheat yeastiness, although small.

T- Initially I get a wheaty cherry component that is a touch light but in good balance with the beer. The finish on this is still a nice fresh cherry that isn't really overpowering, but just right. This is one of those that doesn't take much thought about drinking because it's got the cherry sweetness and a light wheat backbone. I find it to be in good balance, and although sweet in spots, doesn't resemble a cough drop like I feared it would.

Mouthfeel - mouthfeel is low/low-med carbonation that works well with the style and makes is quite drinkable. The cherry finish is very tasteful as well.

Drinkability- I enjoyed this brew and can see myself drinking this again in the future, no problem.

4.09/5  rDev +30.3%

Color was a golden color with a extremely small few fruit zests present.

Smell was all cherry with a hint of vanilla.

Taste is almost all cherry. It is strange, the flavor of cherries is so powerful but compliments the flavor very nicely. A faint taste is present (maybe honey?).

It is for all intensive purposes an average beer with a pleasant cherry taste.

I am giving this beer a better review than I think I should. Mainly because I think it will fill a good void of giving me the drink I need when I am not in the mood for a stronger beer. It is very drinkable for one or two bottles.

4.09/5  rDev +30.3%

This is by far my favorite Sam Adams varietal. Look is an expected unfiltered wheat. The cherry essence is very prevalent in the aroma; it entices you to the best part, the taste!
The blend of cherry and wheat beer is a perfect balance when you're looking for a good, honest, fruit-forward beer.

4.07/5  rDev +29.6%

Apprarance: Cloudy golden. Billowy off white long lasting head. Tiny effervescent bubbles

Smell: Whoa. Lots of cherry aroma. Also picking up some mild noble English hop aroma. Nice combo

Taste: Cherry up front, bitterness in the middle working well with the twinge of carbonation, finishes really malty. Nice beer.

Mouthfeel: feels light bodied. Carbonation is nice with the bitterness.

Drinkability: Good transition beer. Can drink a few of these and not feel too weighted down. Nice job.

Appearance: A sensational amber color

Smell: Light sweet cherry smell. This beer had an exception aroma to it

Taste: You could definately taste the cherries, but not overpowering. Perfect for a warm day

Mouthfeel: Somewhat dry and fruity, deliciouso!

Drinkability: I do love the taste of cherries and somewhat fruity beers. On a hot day could probably put down a few of these.

4.07/5  rDev +29.6%

I bought a 6-pack of this at Woodman's in Janesville, WI in fall 2010 for about $7.

I like the taste of cherry and taste of wheat beer so this was a must try for me. It pours a cloudy golden color with a heavy smell of delicious cherries. Upon tasting there is first the taste of cherry, not too strong but not too wheat either. I was then left with wheat as an aftertaste. Overall I thought it was very nicely blended and tasted quite nicely.

Poured into wisky glass.

Appearance cloudy light straw copper. Smell is a burst of cherry. Maybee a hint of wheat but the cherry dominates. Taste is an immediate burst of cherry followed by a wheaty finish. There is a decent head with lacing. The beer is thick and would be ideal for an after dinner drink. Not my favorite by any means but is great twist to a fruit/vegie drink.

4.07/5  rDev +29.6%

Pours pretty clear, light amber with a small head which soon becomes nothing. Aroma is strong cherries....kind of like maraschino cherries. Mouthfeel is very smooth and pretty light. Cherries come through strongly in the flavor of course, with some sweet maltiness as well. Just a touch of hops shows up in the finish. This is a very sweet beer, but it doesn't seem overly sweet to me. It's a very enjoyable beer, perfect for summer nights.

This beer has been a staple in my fridge for about 4 summers now. It has sweetness but still stays refreshing. I don't think the cherry flavor is overdone either.

4.07/5  rDev +29.6%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

This a great beer but its not a great pour or have a good head. The aroma is very strong of cherries.

Its taste very much like cherries, I like having this beer as a chaser after something strong, but its not great after food.

4.06/5  rDev +29.3%

This brew pours into my pint glass a golden color with fair clarity. A white head developed but rather quickly diminished into a thin, but long lasting skim. The aroma of the beer was no surprise, cherries, actually smelled like maraschino cherries; the smell was dominating and powerful, but pleasant. There were no real strong malt or hop aromas. The flavor is a little bit of graininess and wheat taste and a lot of cherry. The hop bitterness combined with any acidity from the cherries gives the beer a nice balance. By the smell I expected an overlysweet brew, but found something more balanced than I expected. No real hop flavor to speak of, but that was expected. The carbonation was moderate, body was medium-full, and had a nice smoothness. Overall I thought this beer was great. The handful of times I've entered the fruit beer realm I often left unsatisfied, but this one is a keeper. The aroma is wonderful, especially if you like maraschino cherries (which I do). The flavor was much more balanced and beer-like than I expected with the powerful cherry aroma. The beer was also quite smooth and finished with just about the perfect amount of tartness.

4.05/5  rDev +29%

12 ounce bottle with enjoy by date of Oct. 2011. It was poured into a weizen glass. The pour yielded two fingers of foamy head. Retention is moderate. Small patches of lace stick to the glass. The beer is golden and mildly hazy with a barely noticeable pink tint. Up close, a lot of carbonation can be seen rising to the top of the glass.

The aroma is loaded with cherry but it is unlike any aroma that I've smelled from other cherry beers. Whereas most cherry brews give off a tart aroma, this beer gives off a very sweet, almost maraschino cherry aroma. It reminds me of cherry ice cream. It doesn't smell natural, but it is alluring.

The flavor profile is wonderfully soft on the palate while remaining substantial. Sweet cherry flavor is dominant on the front end in a manner similar to the aroma. The malt profile tastes a bit unconventional but compliments the cherry flavor wonderfully. The wheat portion has been jacked up but it creates a mellow flavor that is very smooth. There is a biscuity flavor in the finish, and a mild hop bitterness remains in the aftertaste.

This is a really nice feeling beer in the mouth. I would still call this light bodied, but it certainly feels heavier than what I would associate with a wheat beer. The carbonation is moderate to high but the feel is surprisingly creamy, especially for a beer this light.

They don't really come much more drinkable than Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. It is sweet, mellow and wonderfully balanced. Though it's a pinch high in alcohol for extended sessioning, the virtually unnoticed 5.3% ABV makes it easy to put a couple down the hatch in a sitting. That's ideal as this beer is more of a special treat than a daily driver.

---

The Two Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
Most days I'd give two Schlitz for Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

4.05/5  rDev +29%

Looks light, golden brown, and smells like cherries.

The taste is sweet sweet sweet. I remember having this beer as a kid, long before I enjoyed heavy or hoppy beers, and loving it. It tasted to me like a smooth fruit drink, and today it still reminds me of that.

It goes down like water, making this a beer to drink a steamy summer day, when you're too hot to really pay too much attention to what you're drinking.

4.05/5  rDev +29%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy apple cider-esq pint with a 3/4 oatmeal colored finger head that doesn't have the greatest of retention.

Smell: Unmistakably cherry in the aroma, might have a bit too much even that nothing else can really work its way through.

Taste: The flavor tastes much like what you would expect, there isn't much of a surprise. It is heavy on the wheat and tastes like its cherry flavored; think hefeweizen with cherry syrup. The good thing is that is doesn't taste like cough medicine but then again it doesn't strike me as if there are real ones either. Somewhat artificial but not sickeningly so.

Mouthfeel: Thick and fluffy and definately sticks around long after you've swallowed. It's a medium bodied brew overall but quaff it fast or the prominent cherry will turn medicinal.

Drinkability: Surely could throw back a few on a brisk evening because it warms you up and isn't light.

Overall: If this style is your thing then youll truly enjoy, if not.. well why are you considering.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)