Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,130 | Hads: 3,651
2.42/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours a nice blonde, but no haze. Where is my wheat haze? Hmm.

Smells of sweetened sour cherries, acid, no wheat esters. Where are my wheat esters?
Hmm.

Taste is cloyingly sweet, mostly of government-issue cherry syrup flavor, and a bit of a sour back. I'm sure they did use some natural cherries in here, but along side it, there's a whole artificial sweetness that drowns out what could have been a very nice cherry taste.

Traditional wheat tastes are no where to be seen. Where are my wheat tastes? Hmm.

Overall, very disappointing. Took what could have been a very nice idea, and blew it all to hell.

Next time Sam Adams wants to make a cherry wheat, they should use real cherries....and more than an ounce of wheat grain! (743 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -25.6%

Well I had high hopes for this beer, and I was very let down. It pours a very promising gold color with a nice thick white head, which went away fairly quick. The smell was decent, smelled like a typical weat or ale, with a very small cherry smell. The overall flavor was quite bland, not much of anything stood out other than the artificial cherry taste and an odd aftertaste. I dont think I would buy another 6pk of this, although i may try it on tap sometime, to see if its any better. (488 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -25.6%

This beer is the eeriest copper with weird pink tones that give it a hazy appearance even though its decidedly not a victim of protein haze and so on. Keeps a decent head, but that color just weirds me out.

Smell of the most digusting scent of fake Maraschino cherry juice. Overly saccharine and truly cloying, made me want to gag. This was overpowering that it bled into the flavor, tainting the wheat base that didn't taste wheat-like in the first place. Cherries were more than a bit light in the flavor department, somehow...

The surprise was the nicely rounded mouthfeel, an afterthought to the scent. Its hard to critically speak about this beer - the scent was gagging and the flavor was wholly lacking. Just poor beer passing a fruit cocktail for those who don't like beer - the exact reason why my friends had bought it. (836 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a pint glass.

I'm generally fine with most of the Sam Adams products, especially those that are a little out of the ordinary i.e. imperial pilsner. However, their Cherry Wheat misses the mark. The look is fine - nice, golden color with a nice white head that leaves some lacing. The smell is not so great - maraschino cherry syrup; very sweet and cloying. The taste is not so cloying, but still nothing good - too sweet when there should be some tartness. Mouthfeel is like soda bordering on harsh. Yeah, this isn't my cup of tea, but I could see people enjoying this one. It's like beer, but not. Recommendation to avoid. (635 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -26.2%

Whoa, the cherry is too over-bearing in this one. Pour was disappointing – way too clear for a wheat beer. Although it had a nice cherry and malt aroma, the taste went from strong cherry in the beginning to tasting like Robitussin cough syrup by the end of the bottle. Even the wife-zilla, while working on her bottle, said she couldn’t stomach another. (355 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I like Sam Adams and have had many beers from them, and I tried this with high expectation as wheat beers are one of my favorite styles and bought a six pack. Smell is cherry cough drops almost and sugary with a little hop and yeast smell. Color is light red maybe almost a darker pink. Head disappears quickly to almost nothing but with lacing. The taste is light medium feel and a sugary artificial cherry flavor to a little bit of hops and then the wheat beer comes through. I forced finished one and later on could not finish the second because the flavor just became unpleasant and ended up dumping the rest. (613 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a clear light reddish-orange with a foamy tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. No lacing on this one. Smell is of wheat, grain, and some artificial cherry aromas. Taste is much the same with an almost sickening medicinal cherry flavor that lingers long after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer that is pretty gross and undrinkable. (428 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -26.5%

This tastes like alcoholic cherry soda, not beer. Really simple, direct, and a little too sweet. It's drinkable, but if I wanted a malternative, I would have bought one. There are much better fruit beers out there. This is the first time I've been disappointed with a Sam Adams brew. (283 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -26.9%

First the positives. Pours a tawny red, and like most Sam Adams brews, the head is ample and the retention excellent. Mouthfeel is crisply carbonated; seems to have a thirst-quenching feel.

Negatives - Smells like an artificially flavored "macro" black cherry soda, and pretty much tastes like one too, minus the sugar. Wheat spine is nice, but the artificial cherry taste overpowers it. Drinkability is limited due to taste.

Upon closer inspection, I find that this is a "wheat ale brewed with real cherries and cherry flavor." My guess is that barely any real cherries were used, instead substituting the artificial cherry flavor. I suspect that this would be an excellent beer if ONLY real cherries were used. I am a Beer Advocate who believes that artificial flavors have no place in beer. If it's not cost-effective to make this using 100% actual cherries, as I'm sure it probably isn't, then maybe the beer shouldn't be made at all.

I'll finish my sixer, but with no great enjoyment. (1,001 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -27.2%

Appearance: Very pale amber with fluffy white head, honestly not as much carbonation as I expect from a wheat.

Smell: All cherries, nothing but cherries.

Taste: Kinda tastes like a cherry coke gone wrong.

Mouthfeel: Very light

Drinkability: I guess that if you liked that taste you could down 20 of these due to the light feel, I however...1 is more than enough.

Notes: Better than the Cranberry Lambic, so it's got that going for it. (439 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -27.2%

On-tap at some bar deep in queens; served in a weizen glass.

A: Its a clear staw with a smidgen of white head...nothing wrong here

S: Smells like artificial cherry pie filling. I know SA claims that this is from real cherries, but I've never smelled cherries that smelled like this. Its a pretty rough aroma - cloying and nasty; no wheat here.

T: Tastes like they took coastal wheat and dumped a tablespoon of Robitussin in it, seriously, that's exactly what it tastes like.

D: Due to it being nasty, this one loses in the drinkability department. Its not bad enough to be a drainpour, but its flavour is just not that good. Fortunately, the flavour is a little light.

Overall: I was not a fan of this. Its tough to make a good fruit wheat beer, and still every brewery thinks they can do it. This is pretty rough stuff and lacks the balance that Sam Adams usually gets down. (880 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -27.5%

A-Hazy dark gold color with a ok head that went down quickly and left some lace as the beer went down
S-could smell the smell of cherries from a distance, and the wheat was in the background
T-cherry had a tart taste that did not leave any taste in the aftertaste or the finish
M- medium body and carbonation
O- was impressed until the taste, it was nothing after the beer went down. (383 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -27.5%

I remember drinking this year's ago, before I was a beer geek, and thinking it was strange. After tasting it again last night, I still think it's a strange brew.

Appearance: Upon pouring it into a tall pilsner glass, a large fizzy/bubbly head formed. It's highly effervescent. The color is golden with a slight pinkish hue. Or maybe I was seeing pink only because my mind new it was flavored with cherries?

Smell/Taste: It definately had a cherry aroma, but very little "beer" scent. The best way I can describe it's flavor and mouthfeel is to say it seems very similar to diet cherry 7-Up. It wasn't at all beery, not even in that unique wheat-beer sort of way. If you were into the flavor (which I'm not) you could probably down a fair amount of these.

As it is, I'm glad I only purchased a single just so I could have the bottle for my collection. This is the only beer I've had recently that I definately will not be buying again. (944 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -27.8%

Interesting is the word for this beer.

A- Cloudy dark orange with small off white head with sudsy lacing.

S- Strong Marichinno cherries. Cherry cough syrup. Can't smell anything but cherries.

T- Sweet cherries and almonds. Bright and fruity. Caramel background. The wheat taste is there but overwhelmed.

M- Tin, clean and dry finish. Nice carbonation.

D- Crisp and clean. Easy to drink if you like cherries. If you wanted a hint of cherry you will be disappointed. This is cherry with hints of beer. The wheat and cherries are slightly off. The cherry flavor is powerful in this beer. I couldn't finish more than one. (622 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%

Had in a bottle long before I was "into" craft beer. Had it again on tap once I entered the craft realm. Pours a wheaty, sunburst orange color, considerably hazy and basically perfectly opaque in the mid-section of the brew. Slightly off-white head is sparkly and foamy and recedes relatively quick leaving some mild lacing behind. The aroma is cherry. That's it. That's all. Just cherries. I mean, I could sit here and tell you "it has some wheat in the background", because it does, but you have to search so hard for it beneath the cherry blanket that by that point it isn't worth it anymore. The cherries smell sweet, tart, and actually a little medicinally cloying. Weird combination, right? I can't decide if this aroma is good or bad - but the fact that I must ask myself that question tells me it's probably the latter.

It hits my palate, medium bodied and heavily carbonated. And that's where shit hits the fan. WOW, the cherry presence is not only overwhelming, but it's basically the only thing you can taste. And as mentioned for the aroma, it's not a very "good" cherry perspective. Hints of the profile taste natural and real - some tartness and sweetness that couldn't be mistaken for anything but fresh cherries. However, it's like the brewers decided that it wasn't enough, and they took it a step further and added a butt-load of extra, artificial cherry flavor to push the flavor envelope of the max. Chalky, medicinal, vitamin-like. It's like, tart cherry cough syrup. Or a sweeter version of a cherry flavored Flintstones vitamin. Aftertaste has a slaughtered wheat profile, still majorly enveloped by the cherry onslaught.

Buuuh. Save yourself the trouble with this one. The cherry is just way too overdone and overpowering, nearly to the point of being undrinkable. And it's not the "fruit-lambic" kind of cherry. It's more of a "take your medicine" kind of cherry. Definitely not for me. (1,913 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%

I poured this one from the bottle into a cylinder glass just to see if that would give it a little something extra. Poured a copper color with a large head ( maybe just from the glass). Smells a bit like cherry cough syrup, not really pleasing, but not horrible. Tastes just like it smell. No hint of hops. I know it's cherry wheat, but I got all cherry and no wheat. Overall, not Sam Adam's finest offering. (408 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass. Pours a murky gold with a one finger head, Leaving no lacing. The smell is of faint cherries and Robitussin. Nothing else. The taste is of cherries, And somewhat of light toasted barley and malt. Absolutely nothing else. The mouthfeel allows the complete medicinal flavor to come through, Seriously tasted like Robitussin Nighttime if you let it sit for long enough. Oh well, I didn't pay for it so whatever. A terrible offering by Sam Adams, Even worse than the Summer Ale. (515 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured this beer into a mug from the bottle. It pours a golden-amber. It has a light wheat nose that has a heavy cherry overtone. It has very little head that quickly dissipates. It has a slightly fizzy and medium mouthfeel. The flavor is overwhelmed with cherry, I can barely detect the wheat flavors due to the overwhelming cherry taste and aftertaste. If the cherry flavoring was toned down about 75% it might be a refreshing beer. I do like the majority of beers that Sam Adams makes, however I think this is the worst beer I've tasted from them. I like the cherry "Lambic" much better. (590 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A vigorous pour into an oversized mug produced a head taller than the beer. Beer was light golden amber in color.

Smelled of artificial cherry flavor, like cough syrup. Deep underneath, when I concentrated hard, I could smell the wheat, malt, and slightly floral hops. Tough to get through that cough syrup aroma, though.

The taste was of real cherries, in contrast to the smell. Also a good thick, sweet malt flavor and a grainy wheat taste. The cherries come back at the end, along with the bitter hops.

The beer had a good full-bodied mouthfeel.

I am not a fan of cherries, but I had heard good things about his beer, so I gave it a try. First off, the artificial cherry smell has got to go, whether you like cherries or not. If the cherries aren't enough to make it into the aroma, the beer shouldn't have to smell like Kool-Aid. This beer was very drinkable, but I think it is definitely one for non-beer drinkers. This beer would have been much better without the cherries. (991 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured a hazy amber gold with nice high white head but fell to nothing - not like other wheats that keep a decent strip.

A punch in the nose of cherry cough drops, not an earthy fruity cherry aroma I would expect. Bready malt is stirred up after a few swirls. No hop aromas that I can detect.

The cherry flavor is fairly subtle the first few sips - a sweetness of malt is up front and a pretty tasty bready/wheat flavor finishes up but the after taste and taste on the back of the nose/throat definitely remind me of cough syrup - a memory that does take away from the possibility of this beer.

a thin to medium body that goes down pretty smooth, but not as creamy as a real wheat beer. Carbonation is adequate for the style.

Unfortunately this wasn't what I would expect for a cherry wheat - maybe just a hint of cherry would tone it down and bring more of a wheat taste overall. (885 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -28.4%

Appearance> Warm amber with a nice head. Lively.

Smell> Cherry cough syrup.

Taste> Cherry start. Starts to taste really wheaty. Nice BUT then it goes to tasting like cough syrup . HORRIBLE HANG.

Mouf> Good. Easy.

Drinkability> noooo (252 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -28.4%

apearance was nice but god, the smell! Completely over the top cherry cough syrup smell. Not a hint of wheat that I could discern. Taste was a little more pleasing but still oh so heavy on the cherries. This was closer to some kind of carbonated flavored mixed drink from smirnoff than it was to a beer. Taste wasn't terrible but so sweet that I'd never want to drink more. (373 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -28.7%

Pours great, looks great, even smells great. Cherries, a hint of brandy. Nice

First taste was not what I was expecting. As if someone had dropped a shot of cough syrup into the beer just beforehand, and it floated to the top. The initial taste mellows and is hard to notice later however, and it was rather easy to finish the pint off.

Not sure I'd buy this one again, and I'm a fan of every other Sam Adams product I've tried thus far. (443 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -28.7%

Straw colored, slightly hazy body with minimal head and very little lacing.

A TON of fake maraschino cherries in the aroma with a hint of the wheat beer beneath. Smells like a kid's cough syrup.

The taste is more huge fake cherry with a little more wheat to balance it out than what's in the aroma.

Too highly and tightly carbonated for a wheat.

The only reason this isn't a drain pour is because I'm going to pour the rest of the pint into some Tupperware to marinate meat in or make some kind of sauce. Ditto for the other bottle in the sampler. (551 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

I had this brew for the first time in quite a while when a friend had an extra one sitting around. It was just as disappointing as I remembered. It sure smells great, but the taste is pretty bad. It certainly didn't look very good as I poured it into a pint glass either - no haziness despite being a wheat beer. It was very light in body, but with a very synthetic and cloying cherry flavor. Drink it cold and it's tolerable, but let it warm just a little and you are bombarded with a dismal cherry cough syrup flavored aftertaste. (532 characters)

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)